Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Openknees
Feb 25, 2007
Can anyone briefly explain or link me to an explanation of the differences between the various types of the '10 Legacy? There's like nine of them out there. Specifically I'm looking at the 3.6r which seems to be a worthy competitor to the Lancer Ralliart.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bung
Dec 14, 2004

Just Another XY posted:

Just out of curiosity, what month was your 09 built? I heard the problem was phased out about Oct-Nov 08 or so, and while I have a Mar 09, I'm always very paranoid about these sort of things.

Mine has manufacture date of 08/08.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug
Purty heads, jamal. I guess now you're stuck breaking in the engine for a little while, though.

Openknees posted:

Can anyone briefly explain or link me to an explanation of the differences between the various types of the '10 Legacy? There's like nine of them out there. Specifically I'm looking at the 3.6r which seems to be a worthy competitor to the Lancer Ralliart.
Try the Subaru comparison tool.

adnam
Aug 28, 2006

Christmas Whale fully subsidized by ThatsMyBoye

bung posted:

Mine has manufacture date of 08/08.

Ah. :( Good luck then, hopefully everything's sorted out with you. :) (If not jamal will put it back together for you)

LordOfThePants
Sep 25, 2002

FecalFajita posted:

Just in case anyone was wondering, here's what it can look like when your turbo seals go out. This is from an 04 FXT with 138k miles.

Saw this the other day and it got me thinking since I'm having similar problems. I was doing some searching to see if anyone else had a similar problem (smoking on warm starts) and found your thread at the Forester Forum.

I'm going to pull off the intercooler this weekend and check for oil, but I'm fully expecting that I'll need to replace the turbo.

Does your XT start kind of hard when it's warm? Mine will fire, rev up, and then nearly stall before taking off. Never have that problem on cold starts.

Now, assuming my turbo seal is blown, should I stop driving it or am I OK if I just take it easy? As long as I can get a used TD04 I should be able to replace it next weekend.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug
So thanks to an unnamed goon, I managed to find a PDF of the manual for my car. I flipped to the section on winter driving and was greeted with this:

I gotta admit, I kind of want a decal for my rear hatch glass of this haunted little fez snowman. Such cold little eyes.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

Openknees posted:

The legacy is much bigger than the lancer.
the 3.6 is automatic only and is the only legacy with a rear LSD.
The 2.5GT is sportier and is manual only.

decahedron
Aug 8, 2005

by Ozma
The competitor to the Ralliart is the normal WRX.

LordOfThePants
Sep 25, 2002

Looks bad for my Forester XT - still smoking like mad, so I pulled the intercooler tonight. Intercooler was fine (light film of oil) and I'm getting smoke out of the oil fill when the cap is off.

Time for serious Subaru surgery it looks like. Wonder what this is going to cost me...

kylej
Jul 6, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Someone punched my gas flap last night. Left a big row of knuckle sized dents and bent the hinge. I guess he must've been angry because I had a clean car that was all alone in my apartment's parking lot.

Thanks dude.

The Slaughter
Jan 28, 2002

cat scratch fever

Openknees posted:

There's really only three 3.6Rs and then options within each, you should be able to whittle it down pretty quick.
The Standard 3.6R has:
All the features of a plain jane legacy, plus:
3.6-Liter 6-Cylinder Engine
5-Speed Automatic Transmission
Paddle Shifter with Downshift Blipping Control
P225/50 R17 All-Season Tires
17" Alloy Wheels
Body-color Exterior Side Mirrors

You can then go up to the 3.6R premium and you get:
10-way Power Driver's Seat
Leather-wrapped Steering Wheel
All-Weather Package:
Front Wiper De-Icer
Heated Front Seats
Heated Exterior Side Mirrors

You now ALSO have these options available because you bumped up to the premium:
Power Moonroof

harman/kardon® Audio System which includes:
AM/FM Stereo w/ 6-Disc In-Dash CD Changer, MP3/WMA/AAC Playback, Aux input
Bluetooth Hands-free Phone capability
Overhead Console Microphone
Steering Wheel Voice-Command & Phone Switches
9 Harman Kardon speakers (incl. subwoofer)
440 Watt Harman Kardon amplifier

Finally you have the 3.6R Limited.
You now get standard:
-Leather
-4-Way Power Front Passenger Seat (so your passenger has a power seat now too)
-The whole harmon/kardon with bluetooth capability/overhead mic/steering wheel controls from above
-Dual zone automatic climate control

You now also have the following options available since you bumped to the limited:
-Power Moonroof
-Navigation System w/ 8" LCD Touchscreen single disc CD player, Rear Vision Camera, and it's still harmon/kardon amp + speakers.

You're welcome :unsmith:

mike fictitious
Apr 2, 2003

Like all girls I love unicorns!

bull3964 posted:

Yay, I finally got my. "You may have noticed your car stinks of loving gas when it's cold" letter.

Now I just got to figure out when I can get it done.
Can someone explain this problem to me? It is dangerous or just annoying? How expensive is it to fix?

I bought an '02 WRX about 2 years ago and have just lived with it. I am aware it is a known problem. It only happens for about 3 months a year, and I can mitigate it by closing the air exchange vent while warming up. I can't believe the previous owner lived with it for 6 years (in Michigan winters).

TurboLuvah
Jul 24, 2004

Scientifically proven to be more fuel efficient than hybrids!
Some rubber line on the fuel rail/lines is slightly too short, and when it contracts in the cold, fuel leaks out. The replacement line is a little larger. It would probably require pulling the intake manifold to properly do.

Some people have reported luck using very small hose clams on the lines instead, stopping the leakage.

mike fictitious
Apr 2, 2003

Like all girls I love unicorns!

TurboLuvah posted:

Some rubber line on the fuel rail/lines is slightly too short, and when it contracts in the cold, fuel leaks out. The replacement line is a little larger. It would probably require pulling the intake manifold to properly do.

Some people have reported luck using very small hose clams on the lines instead, stopping the leakage.
OK, so if I took it somewhere... cheap to fix?

What is the aforementioned "letter"?

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

LordOfThePants posted:

Looks bad for my Forester XT - still smoking like mad, so I pulled the intercooler tonight. Intercooler was fine (light film of oil) and I'm getting smoke out of the oil fill when the cap is off.

Time for serious Subaru surgery it looks like. Wonder what this is going to cost me...
Just so you know, I have 100psi on my 4th cyl and I've probably been running for at least a year including lots of auto-x and a few track days.
So don't feel pressured to fix anything in the block ASAP as long as you can keep oil in the thing.

Sabotaged
Jul 6, 2004

TeamIce posted:

Just got my full Brembo setup swapped on

Hey that's Dale's in Langley right? LGT Vancouver goons :hfive:
Never been there but saw it mentioned over at NASIOC. Where'd you get your downpipe installed, or did you do it yourself?

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

I'll set the building on fire
well I seem to have put my car together correctly. just drove it through the middle of nowhere from hisperia through yucca valley, joshua tree, and to pheonix. I'll post some pictures later.

TeamIce
Mar 16, 2004
LET JESUS FUCK YOU

Sabotaged posted:

Hey that's Dale's in Langley right? LGT Vancouver goons :hfive:
Never been there but saw it mentioned over at NASIOC. Where'd you get your downpipe installed, or did you do it yourself?

Yeah, it is Dale's in Langley. I'm lucky enough to live about 8 blocks away from it.

I got my downpipe done at A-Pro in Langley, near Aircare. They don't specialize in Subaru, but they always did good work on my Corvette when I had it, and they managed to install it and the uppipe with no problems - other than that the Perrin downpipe's fit was lovely, they ended up having to bend it with a torch slightly to get it to mate up properly.

Openknees
Feb 25, 2007

The Slaughter, Safety Seat Switch, & nm posted:

[...]

Thanks gentlemen, I appreciate it!

decahedron, I see the Leg more so than the WRX on account of it being semi-auto, and it looks better. I really want to like the new body, if only because it's a WRX, but I can't.

LordOfThePants
Sep 25, 2002

nm posted:

Just so you know, I have 100psi on my 4th cyl and I've probably been running for at least a year including lots of auto-x and a few track days.
So don't feel pressured to fix anything in the block ASAP as long as you can keep oil in the thing.

Well, the James Bond smoke out the tail pipe makes it sort of hard to ignore, plus being my daily driver (with no other form of transportation really) makes me want it fixed right now. The last thing I need is the engine totally exploding on me and leaving me stranded.

There's a shop in Toledo that thinks they might be able to get it in on the 22nd, I'm thinking I may just go that route. I was going to try to get it in to a dealer, but the only advantage there is I'd get a loaner and probably end up paying a lot more.

Pikey
Dec 25, 2004
I know next to nothing about subarus so might one of you tell me if this is reasonable or not?

http://seattle.craigslist.org/est/cto/1641671487.html

I'll need a car for driving around the northwest starting this summer as I go through my med school rotations. Reliability is key for me, and I really can't afford (time and money wise) to be repairing and replacing left right and center.

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

Here are some pictures of my recent drive.

not really anything around here:

rocks in the desert:

my car in front of rocks in the desert:

more desert:

freeway:

is this how you break in a new motor?

open24hours
Jan 7, 2001

What's a good price for a first generation Forester GT in Australia? I've been looking at some of the used car sites and they seem to be about ~$11-14k. Is this reasonable or am I looking in the wrong place?

The Slaughter
Jan 28, 2002

cat scratch fever

Pikey posted:

I know next to nothing about subarus so might one of you tell me if this is reasonable or not?

http://seattle.craigslist.org/est/cto/1641671487.html

I'll need a car for driving around the northwest starting this summer as I go through my med school rotations. Reliability is key for me, and I really can't afford (time and money wise) to be repairing and replacing left right and center.

It looks reasonable, just keep in mind it is probably about 13 years old. You WILL have some gremlins to take care of every now and then and even a big repair every once in awhile. Them's just the facts. As 13 year old cars go, though, it's a good choice.
The timing belt would get done at 105k generally, sounds like it was already done, so that's good. Look at the receipts for the service that was recently done. Run a carfax. Absolutely run it by a shop and have a prepurchase mechanical inspection done. If you buy it, just set aside a little kitty for repairs and it should be pretty reasonable for years to come if it turns out to be a good car and you find a good place to get the servicing done. The engine was recently "re-sealed" - head gasket leak? Is there a warranty for the repair through the shop, and if so, how long?

8ender
Sep 24, 2003

clown is watching you sleep

jamal posted:

is this how you break in a new motor?

Well if its going to spin another bearing you might as well find out while you still have your tools out at home :clint:

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug

jamal posted:

my car in front of rocks in the desert:

What wheels are those? They look great.

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

thanks. they're 00-01 impreza rs wheels, spray painted. 16x7, +53, with 225/50-16 falken 912s

me putting on a timing belt:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D1PunROR3VU

jamal fucked around with this message at 09:55 on Mar 14, 2010

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

mike fictitious posted:

OK, so if I took it somewhere... cheap to fix?

What is the aforementioned "letter"?

It will cost exactly $0 to get it fixed now. The letter was notice that they are extending warranty on the issue to 12 years/unlimited miles.

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

LordOfThePants posted:

if you can get it done under warranty go to the dealer. otherwise do not. find a good performance shop and they should be able to do it for quite a bit less. I think we charge around $1500 labor plus parts and machine shop work. A set of forged pistons goes for around $400, and machine shop labor shouldn't be much more than $300. So you should be able to get it done for around $3k, depending on what other parts you need.

Wrar
Sep 9, 2002

Soiled Meat
Hey guys, I need new brake pads for my DD 9-2x Aero. Any suggestions?

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher

open24hours posted:

What's a good price for a first generation Forester GT in Australia? I've been looking at some of the used car sites and they seem to be about ~$11-14k. Is this reasonable or am I looking in the wrong place?

That's about right for a good one. There really is no such thing as a cheap decent Suby second hand in Australia. You might find one on Rexnet that has escaped being hosed with. Be warned, Rexnet is only marginally better than NASIOC for poo poo.

https://www.wrx.com.au should be the Victorian WRX club and should have a good classified.

CAT INTERCEPTOR fucked around with this message at 01:06 on Mar 15, 2010

logistik
Sep 11, 2001

I'll give you a TKO from Tokyo!
I've got a couple questions for you fine subaru folk.
I have a 2003 WRX and I have a couple issues with it. For one my drivers side wiper makes an annoying clunkish noise at the very top of its stroke.
And also I have a ton of wind noise on my drivers side window with the window all the way up.

Anyone know how I can fix either of these things?

JBark
Jun 27, 2000
Good passwords are a good idea.

Cat Terrist posted:

That's about right for a good one. There really is no such thing as a cheap decent Suby second hand in Australia. You might find one on Rexnet that has escaped being hosed with. Be warned, Rexnet is only marginally better than NASIOC for poo poo.

https://www.wrx.com.au should be the Victorian WRX club and should have a good classified.

There's also the https://www.ozfoz.com/forum for Foresters, though I haven't been reading it long enough to see if its decent or not.

And yeah, good luck o24h finding a reasonably priced Forester here in Oz. I thought about the GT when I was looking for mine, but frankly they're all modded and beat to poo poo, and people ask way too much for them. Went with an 03 XS instead, couldn't be happier. Much nicer all around vehicle, and the XS gives those little perks I was missing with our beater car. And really, the NA 2.5L isn't a bad engine, HP wise it's only about 25 less than the GT (though the torque is quite a bit less). I thought it would be terrible compared to my 9-2x Aero, but it's not bad at all.

Chriskory
Aug 18, 2004

Back when I was actively driving I drove Akina even in my dreams

N183CS posted:

Where in AK are you? How long did your plate take from when you ordered it? I'm thinking of getting "LIZSLY" when I find the right Forester.

It came in about two weeks, so cheap, and I really appreciate how simple it is.

Slow is Fast
Dec 25, 2006

^^^
awesome picture, wish it snowed that much this winter out here.

Does anyone know where I can pick up some 25mm sway bar bushings. I swear when I looked online last fall, there were a billion on ebay and all the subaru aftermarket sites had them. Now they're all gone, did a bushing factory burn down or something.

Mounts I have, I have the bushings in the pic but they're stock size not 25mm:

Checked cobb, perrin, whiteline, a ton of subaru crap resellers, etc. Summit has some universal stuff.

MMD3
May 16, 2006

Montmartre -> Portland

Seat Safety Switch posted:

I didn't get a manual with my car, so I'm curious about the penny-sized vented hole on the dashboard underneath the temperature and fan dials on my 06 WRX dashboard.

Is it some kind of sensor for the cabin temperature?

while we have an image of the interior of my Saabaru up...

can someone tell me how to turn off the flashing red "theft" light on my dash? I really don't know the rhyme or reason to why it will be flashing sometimes. I take it it's if I try to open the door while it's still locked or something?

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

Slow is Fast posted:

Checked cobb, perrin, whiteline, a ton of subaru crap resellers, etc. Summit has some universal stuff.

cobb swaybars are 25mm. e-mail them and ask.

Tatrakrad
May 14, 2007

I cited my sources and all he said was, "owned owned owned owned owned"
I'm going to finally pull a trigger on a 2010 WRX sometime this week. I'll have a car for the first time in 3 years.

What options/accessories are useful/useless? Do I have to get a premium for navigation? I've heard of people buying new cars who end up wasting money on audio systems that are worse than stock, short shifters that end up breaking, etc.

zephyrthebreeze
Dec 30, 2006
sine qua non
Apparently one of my local dealers just got one of the STI Special Editions in. I'm going to go check it out tomorrow.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lazor
Sep 9, 2004

Tatrakrad posted:

I'm going to finally pull a trigger on a 2010 WRX sometime this week. I'll have a car for the first time in 3 years.

What options/accessories are useful/useless? Do I have to get a premium for navigation? I've heard of people buying new cars who end up wasting money on audio systems that are worse than stock, short shifters that end up breaking, etc.

I've got a 2008 Sti and didn't really get to choose what options it came with, I just took what they had. The armrest extension is really the only option that is useful, everything else I could easily live without. I've heard nothing but bad things about the sat nav, that it's overpriced and you can get a better one for much cheaper aftermarket (I don't have it). The auto dimming mirror with "Homelink" buttons doesn't always dim when I want it to and I have no use for the buttons, though I may change my mind someday when I automate my front gate (might be useful if you have an auto garage door or something). The iPod connection is ok if you have an iPod and plan to keep the stock stereo, but the stereo has an aux in as well. My friend got stuck with the titanium shift knob (lol at $150 for that thing) and the rear cargo net or something that was also pretty useless.