Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
PitViper
May 25, 2003

Welcome and thank you for shopping at Wal-Mart!
I love you!
My '03 SVS gets around 45-50mpg if I'm cruising at 70-75 on the interstate. If I'm riding smaller highways, and only doing 55-60, I've seen around 60mpg with just myself and a small backpack/tank bag. I'm considering changing the sprocket sizes with my next chain to drop the RPMs a bit at interstate speeds though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

benwards
Apr 9, 2007

Another youthful indiscretion
I dunno why the hell I get such low mileage on mine. It's an 05 nekkid and I'm averaging 35-40, tops. I tend to ride at about 80 on the freeway, with very little riding other than commute riding. :-/

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.

benwards posted:

I dunno why the hell I get such low mileage on mine. It's an 05 nekkid and I'm averaging 35-40, tops. I tend to ride at about 80 on the freeway, with very little riding other than commute riding. :-/

Mods, power commander? Are you a big guy? Aggressive with the throttle? I'd get about 45mpg out of my g/f's old naked gen 1, she could push nearly to 60 because she was a way more responsible rider than me.

Cypher
Jun 1, 2000
Forum Veteran
My '02 SV is in need of a new set of tires... Anyone have a good recommendation? I'm sure this has been addressed somewhere in the thread already but I can't find it offhand.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.

Cypher posted:

My '02 SV is in need of a new set of tires... Anyone have a good recommendation? I'm sure this has been addressed somewhere in the thread already but I can't find it offhand.

Depends on the sort of riding you do...what will you be using them for?

benwards
Apr 9, 2007

Another youthful indiscretion

Z3n posted:

Mods, power commander? Are you a big guy? Aggressive with the throttle? I'd get about 45mpg out of my g/f's old naked gen 1, she could push nearly to 60 because she was a way more responsible rider than me.

I'm sturdy, but not huge: probably about 210 with all my gear on. I accelerate up the odd on-ramp, but I'm not launching it away from street lights. As far as I know, it's stock, but I did get it from a dude who bought it as salvage from the insurance company with no prior history.

How would I know whether it had a power commander?

Cypher
Jun 1, 2000
Forum Veteran

Z3n posted:

Depends on the sort of riding you do...what will you be using them for?

City riding mostly, highways less often, no track stuff or anything like that. A good all arounder is what I'm looking for I guess. Someone mentioned Pirelli Diablos on another board. Any good?

ranathari
May 26, 2006

by elpintogrande

Cypher posted:

City riding mostly, highways less often, no track stuff or anything like that. A good all arounder is what I'm looking for I guess. Someone mentioned Pirelli Diablos on another board. Any good?

They're not popular round here but I love Bridgestone BT-021s. I've gotten about 9,000 out of a rear doing just commuting, touring and some fast road riding and it's still got plenty of life left into it. The front's squared off after only 4-5,000 miles though.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

Cypher posted:

Yeah, I'm a fan of Pirelli road tires. Basically, I'd stick with any Sport Touring tire...they'll come up to temp faster, perform better in the dry, and last a hell of a lot longer.

I'd go with whatever sport touring tire you can find cheap. I'd spend a little more for a current generation Sport Touring tire, like the Pirelli Angel STs, the Michelin Pilot Road 2s, Dunlop Roadsmarts, Metzler Z6 Interact, etc.

benwards posted:

I'm sturdy, but not huge: probably about 210 with all my gear on. I accelerate up the odd on-ramp, but I'm not launching it away from street lights. As far as I know, it's stock, but I did get it from a dude who bought it as salvage from the insurance company with no prior history.

How would I know whether it had a power commander?

Power commander is a small box that ties in to your fueling system to richen it up for an aftermarket exhaust. Looks like this:

Usually it's stashed under the rear seat somewhere.

Also, are you geared stock? I'd also toss in new plugs, maybe some seafoam in the gas tank, and check the chain.

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

You don't need style when you've got strength!

Z3n posted:

I'd go with whatever sport touring tire you can find cheap. I'd spend a little more for a current generation Sport Touring tire, like the Pirelli Angel STs, the Michelin Pilot Road 2s, Dunlop Roadsmarts, Metzler Z6 Interact, etc.

I just mounted a new Pilot Road 2 on my SV that I use for commuting and occasional spirited rides last week. Did a 500 mile interstate trip on it, a few days of commuting and about 2 hours of twisties so far and I am pretty happy with it. Interested to see how it wears and how long it will last.

that one guy chad
Jan 12, 2008

I've been running a set of Shinko Raven's on my SV650, and have been impressed by them. They're pretty friggin cheap, and seem to stick pretty well. I've put around 3000 miles on the tires in the past 3 months, doing lots of twisty riding and some highway miles.

If you're looking for a budget sport touring tire, you may want to try them out. If you're getting way the poop over on the street though, I'd recommend going something a bit stickier.

Captain Apollo
Jun 24, 2003

King of the Pilots, CFI
I think I get like 38 miles to the gallon. Any suggestions on how to get better? Not really sure...

Charles 1998
Sep 27, 2007

by VideoGames

Captain Apollo posted:

I think I get like 38 miles to the gallon. Any suggestions on how to get better? Not really sure...

That's pretty impressive, I get 25 on mine.

dietcokefiend
Apr 28, 2004
HEY ILL HAV 2 TXT U L8TR I JUST DROVE IN 2 A DAYCARE AND SCRATCHED MY RAZR

Captain Apollo posted:

Holy poo poo what are you guys doing to your poor bikes?!?!

Even on my bastard last trip of the season last year I was getting around 45-48MPG averaging 70-80 with heavy throttle and full luggage.

King of all Machines Operate
Sep 23, 2005
uterus puncher ):
I bought an 03 SV650N as my first bike over the summer with around 7000 miles, rode it for a few months before going to school, rode it during winter break, and am about to go home again for spring break. There are around 8500 miles on the bike now. I believe the original tires are still on the bike and I'm not sure when it was last serviced or anything but everything's running perfectly right now.
What sort of regular maintenance should I be doing? I'd like to get it all done when I go home this week. Oil change, new tires perhaps... what else?

spandexcajun
Feb 28, 2005

Suck the head for a little extra cajun flavor
Fallen Rib

King of all Machines Operate posted:

I bought an 03 SV650N as my first bike over the summer with around 7000 miles, rode it for a few months before going to school, rode it during winter break, and am about to go home again for spring break. There are around 8500 miles on the bike now. I believe the original tires are still on the bike and I'm not sure when it was last serviced or anything but everything's running perfectly right now.
What sort of regular maintenance should I be doing? I'd like to get it all done when I go home this week. Oil change, new tires perhaps... what else?

Lube / clean chain. Bleed brakes / new brake fluid. Flush coolant. All are easy.

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

King of all Machines Operate posted:

If the tires are original they are 7 years old and have 8500 miles on them...replace them. Otherwise the stuff spandexcajun is good, also do an oil/filter change and clean/replace the air filter.

Captain Apollo
Jun 24, 2003

King of the Pilots, CFI
My bike is a 2001...10 years old I'm sure it's not the most fuel efficient thing anymore

Wait, are we complaining about anything 30+ in this economy?? :D

Expect a post soon about a new front tire. I'm pretty sure mine in its current incarnation is TERRIBLE.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe
Apparently changing the air filter on a DL is a pain in the rear end, requiring a tank removal; how is it on the SV?

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

Phy posted:

Apparently changing the air filter on a DL is a pain in the rear end, requiring a tank removal; how is it on the SV?

If I remember right it isn't bad. Remove front two bolts on tank, hinge tank back, take out four screws on airbox and remove the filter.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

NitroSpazzz posted:

If I remember right it isn't bad. Remove front two bolts on tank, hinge tank back, take out four screws on airbox and remove the filter.

Gotta pull the front seat too, so that the tank can hinge up, but yeah, it's easy.

HClChicken
Aug 15, 2005

Highly trained by the US military at expedient semen processing.
Trying to find a replacement lamp for my 07 sv650s. It's one of the front highbeams. I've found the schematics and when I went to the dealer, without the bike, the parts person couldn't find either. Plus there are three lightbulbs listed. One is 4 bucks, one is 40 and the other some other price.

Where should I go to find this?

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

HClChicken posted:

Trying to find a replacement lamp for my 07 sv650s. It's one of the front highbeams. I've found the schematics and when I went to the dealer, without the bike, the parts person couldn't find either. Plus there are three lightbulbs listed. One is 4 bucks, one is 40 and the other some other price.

Where should I go to find this?

You can use any H4 bulb. I like the Sylvania Silverstars, some people claim they burn out early but I've never had any problems. I'd recommend around 55w, replace them both, if they're stock. It'll greatly improve the light your bike puts out.

HClChicken
Aug 15, 2005

Just like this?

http://www.amazon.com/Sylvania-9003ST-BP-Twin-Performance/dp/B000CO93RA/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&s=automotive&qid=1271376466&sr=8-2

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

Yeah. Be super careful installing them, they're really sensitive to the oils on your fingers, it's super important they get out of the package and into the housing clean.

HClChicken
Aug 15, 2005

Z3n posted:

Yeah. Be super careful installing them, they're really sensitive to the oils on your fingers, it's super important they get out of the package and into the housing clean.

I can just wear medical gloves without any powder right?

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

You don't need gloves, just make sure you only handle it by the metal bits. I don't open the box until I'm ready to put the fresh bulb in and seal it up (also making sure I open the box in the metal end of the bulb), otherwise it's no big deal.

The glass is sensitive cause it gets real loving hot and the tiniest amount of oil, fat or other similar substance will cause different heat characteristics in that area and subsequent cracking.

Frozen Pizza Party
Dec 13, 2005

So I'm looking at picking up a 2006 SV650, but the tachometer assembly was stolen, so it's without that. What should I buy to replace that?

I was thinking this:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Trai...#ht_3339wt_1143

due to the fact that it has speedometer and tach built in. Is this garbage?

Is there anything else that people can recommend for a replacement? I'm down for used OEM, but new OEM is just as much as the bike :)

Should I not buy this bike? It's a 2006 for 2500, 9k miles or so.. (stolen tach, can't be sure)

Thanks!

Edit: Bought one off ebay for $160 shipped :)

Frozen Pizza Party fucked around with this message at 21:55 on Apr 16, 2010

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

Trailtech is fine, you'll need the resistor kit to get the tach to read correctly, but that price seems high unless the rest of the bike is in perfect shape....I like to budget for replacments on everything I can't verify if I'm going to buy a bike that's in less than perfect shape.

Frozen Pizza Party
Dec 13, 2005

Z3n posted:

Trailtech is fine, you'll need the resistor kit to get the tach to read correctly, but that price seems high unless the rest of the bike is in perfect shape....I like to budget for replacments on everything I can't verify if I'm going to buy a bike that's in less than perfect shape.

Thanks for the info, I'll keep that in mind if mine gets stolen too.. lol

I've heard good things about you Z3n, and you delivered!

Laranzu
Jan 18, 2002
Sigh. Picked up my 06 SV650s after 3 months being stored in a friend's carport. Thought I'd get by with just an oil change and some air in the tires.

Nope. Pulling in to a gas station to fill up the tires, I go to hit the rear brakes to find...nothing. Too dark to check the fluids right now, but I'm not optimistic.

I gotta tear it down anyway. 4 years of being stored outside (covered) and me being deployed randomly have left some nasty rust/dirt. Maybe I'll just do an exhaust.

HATE TROLL TIM
Dec 14, 2006
(Crossposting this from the carb thread, as someone may have a better idea here.)

I pulled the carbs on my SV650 today, and the head of pretty much every other screw is stripping out.

While trying to get the rusted screw (left of photo) out with a Dremel grinder, I accidentally hit the post inside the main jet holder (red arrow) and scrapped it a bit. Will this be a big deal, or should I replace it?

Also, is there any better way to get these loving screws out?

kylej
Jul 6, 2004

Grimey Drawer
http://maine.craigslist.org/mcy/1694457548.html

What do you guys think of this SV? I could probably get him down to $3500 cash. I'm worried about the fender eliminator because I know it won't pass inspection and 90% of them are installed by people who have no idea what they're doing..

teh bux
Nov 5, 2008
Can a full fairing be mounted to a half-faired SV650S pretty easily? Also, how big of an ordeal is swapping to a cafe-style big old circluar headlight?

Zool
Mar 21, 2005

The motard rap
for all my riders
at the track
Dirt hardpacked
corner workers better
step back

teh bux posted:

Can a full fairing be mounted to a half-faired SV650S pretty easily? Also, how big of an ordeal is swapping to a cafe-style big old circluar headlight?

The SV full fairing will mount right up. If you want a circular headlight with the SV fairing you'll need to modify the fairing yourself. Huge ordeal.

echomadman
Aug 24, 2004

Nap Ghost

Zool posted:

Huge ordeal.

no doubt, in the process of half-assing a vrod headlight onto my sv as the fairings were smashed up good, the worst part is hiding all the original wiring. the biggest problem is I'm using the original clocks and they're retardedly huge. have to do until i can affor a veypor or some acewells

Laranzu
Jan 18, 2002
The mystery deepens. I thought my rear brake fluid reservoir was empty (with no idea where the fluid went), which would explain the no brakes issue. Going in to bleed my brakes, I Find its completely full. Pedal is actuating, just no braking action.

Just ordered some Galfer stainless lines. Replacing everything. I like being able to stop.

Frozen Pizza Party
Dec 13, 2005

So I was going to buy an SV650 with no tach.speedo unit, so I purchased one on eBay. The bike was sold from under me, so now I have an 06 gauge cluster with 22k miles on it.

I bought it for $170 shipped, so if anyone wants it it's yours for that price. It's in excellent condition and it's the whole assembly, chrome trim, brackets and backing included.

Let me know if you want pictures or anything. There's no cracks or scratches anywhere.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

SaNChEzZ posted:

So I was going to buy an SV650 with no tach.speedo unit, so I purchased one on eBay. The bike was sold from under me, so now I have an 06 gauge cluster with 22k miles on it.

I bought it for $170 shipped, so if anyone wants it it's yours for that price. It's in excellent condition and it's the whole assembly, chrome trim, brackets and backing included.

Let me know if you want pictures or anything. There's no cracks or scratches anywhere.

Sell it to the guy's brother who bought the bike from under you! :haw:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Frozen Pizza Party
Dec 13, 2005

Z3n posted:

Sell it to the guy's brother who bought the bike from under you! :haw:

I tried, dude wouldn't answer my texts/PMs :(

• Locked thread