Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ToxicWind
May 23, 2006

Impossible! There is no intelligent life form capable of escaping the labyrinth of the multiverse!
Behind the Scenes of the video: http://www.eonline.com/uberblog/b171459_behind-the-scenes_look_lady_gagas.html

Lady Gaga on the video: http://www.eonline.com/uberblog/b171259_lady_gaga_on_telephone_its_hidden.html ("It's commentary on fame culture, a commentary on what kind of country we are.")

ToxicWind fucked around with this message at 21:59 on Mar 12, 2010

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lord Krangdar
Oct 24, 2007

These are the secrets of death we teach.

quote:

Those are all good points. I just haven't picked up on the wink to the audience in the video to indicate it's anything beyond shilling.

Just the fact that Kraft Miracle Whip and Wonder Bread have apparently paid money to associate their brands with murder sprees and lesbians is enough for me.

AARP LARPer
Feb 19, 2005

THE DARK SIDE OF SCIENCE BREEDS A WEAPON OF WAR

Buglord

Lord Krangdar posted:

Just the fact that Kraft Miracle Whip and Wonder Bread have apparently paid money to associate their brands with murder sprees and lesbians is enough for me.

Have they? I would suspect for the way things were shot/framed that only Nokia and Plenty of Fish were paid placements. The other items seemed to me to be included in order to further the Americana themes all over the place.

Lord Krangdar
Oct 24, 2007

These are the secrets of death we teach.

Do Not Resuscitate posted:

Have they? I would suspect for the way things were shot/framed that only Nokia and Plenty of Fish were paid placements. The other items seemed to me to be included in order to further the Americana themes all over the place.

You may be right. I thought the Nokia thing seemed out of place, but I have never heard of Kettle of Fish.

spite house
Apr 28, 2009

Even if they weren't paid placements, I thought they were clearly included as counterpoints to the paid placements -- your wink.

Dr Aldous Huxtable
Oct 6, 2008

by angerbot

Those are all good points. I just haven't picked up on the wink to the audience in the video to indicate it's anything beyond shilling.

A Virgin Mobile cell phone sticking up out of the jeans of a butch prisoner as if it were a penis.

inaniloquent
Apr 7, 2007

Je suis génie.
Must she literally wink every time a product pops up for you to understand it's intentional? Pop music is commercial, so she literally made it a commercial.

I agree with whoever mentioned that she is using the corporate logos for her own purposes, instead of being used.

Diamonds On MY Fish
Dec 10, 2008

I WAS BORN THIS WAY

Polaroid too. Well, maybe not paid? She is their new creative director. She probably gets paid when people buy heartbeats too.

reagan
Apr 29, 2008

by Lowtax
I've been having a pretty lovely month, and this music video made things just that much better. It's the little things.

:swoon: Lady Gaga :swoon:

The Remote Viewer
Jul 9, 2001
freep on Lady Gaga:

quote:

What the hell is a "Lady GaGa?
And does anyone really care if she lives or dies or simply fades away?

Just what has she contributed to society?

Can she reload ammunition?

Can she put an edge on a knife?

Is she capable of aiming a rifle at a deer and bringing home the venison?

Could she even make a meal out of a handful of macaroni and a pound of hamburger meat, and stretch it to feed a family of six?

Does she even know what a rifle is?

Can she cook a pan of biscuits to go with the venison, assuming she has the ability to get it in the first place?

Can she start a fire in a wood stove?

Does she know how to change a diaper on a child?

Can she recognize the symptoms of various childhood and/or adult sicknesses and treat them accordingly, without rushing to a hospital emergency room?

Can she sew up a torn article of clothing or does she simply expect that someone else will ensure she has a replacement?

In short, is she worth a drat for anything other than wasting the oxygen we all need to breath...can she SURVIVE in any environment that does not contain Klieg lights, soundtracks of blaring music and the unending supply of the products of Mr. Max Factor, along with the fawning servitude of a platoon of hangers-on and suck ups?

I cannot stand the "celebrities" that exist for no other reason than that they are able to shock persons and raise the total subscriber list of those towers of journalistic excellence, such as "People", "National Enquirer", , etc, and of course, let's not forget their contribution to MTV, singlehandedly lowering the collective IQ of our youth for the last 20 years.

F.F. Woodycooks
Jul 24, 2006

The Remote Viewer posted:

freep on Lady Gaga:

Is this for real????

AARP LARPer
Feb 19, 2005

THE DARK SIDE OF SCIENCE BREEDS A WEAPON OF WAR

Buglord
hahaha, wow

yes, let's measure everyone's worth against how quickly they can field-strip a rifle

The Remote Viewer
Jul 9, 2001

F.F. Woodycooks posted:

Is this for real????

That's not even in the top 500 craziest or stupidest things said on Freep, so yes.

reagan
Apr 29, 2008

by Lowtax

F.F. Woodycooks posted:

Is this for real????

Of course it is. Do you know what Free Republic is?

F.F. Woodycooks
Jul 24, 2006

HoveringCheesecake posted:

Of course it is. Do you know what Free Republic is?

Yea I have heard of it but I didn't know people seriously post things like THAT

Diamonds On MY Fish
Dec 10, 2008

I WAS BORN THIS WAY

freep posted:

Can she cook a pan of biscuits to go with the venison, assuming she has the ability to get it in the first place?

I bet she could make you a nice sandwich!

inaniloquent
Apr 7, 2007

Je suis génie.
Dwight Schrute tells Lady Gaga how it is.

Archenteron
Nov 3, 2006

:marc:
I showed this video to a friend of mine who knows some japanese, and she said that the subtitles in the diner said "One Piece"

One more nerd reference for fans of Gaga :yohoho:

The Remote Viewer
Jul 9, 2001

Kuroshi posted:

I showed this video to a friend of mine who knows some japanese, and she said that the subtitles in the diner said "One Piece"

Join ussss....

Shakespearean Beef
Jul 12, 2008

Ask me all about how I proudly marched alongside literal NEO-NAZIS to protest against the GOVERNMENT taking away our FREEDOMS because of nothing mote that the common FLU!!! I'm holding aloft the TORCH of FREEDOM!!
The video was awesome, Gaga rules and the nerd references blew my mind. :wookie:

Kara Thrace
May 14, 2008

by Peatpot
Just watched it now, and I think I'm even more in love with them both than I was before.

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

"You don't understand his pain. Everywhere he goes he sees women working, wearing pants, speaking in gatherings, voting. Surely they will burn in the white hot flames of Hell"

The Remote Viewer posted:

freep on Lady Gaga:

This applies to like 95% of America.

If everyone contributed this to society, I don't think we'd have ever made it past the saber tooth tigers and cave bears.

ruarc
Oct 22, 2008

what
Just saw this posted on facebook.

ClumsyThief
Sep 11, 2001

Well, Telephone is honestly the only song on The Fame Monster that I skip over regularly. That does not change the fact that this was a very cool music video and I plan on watching it another twenty times because it's so much fun. I couldn't care less about Miracle Whip and Virgin Mobile.

GaGa eating a sandwich is now my iPhone background.

Irilly Dunnoe
Jan 13, 2010

But when turning her head at an extreme angle fails to produce a life-altering epiphany, she usually just short-circuits and rolls on her back.

ToxicWind posted:

Behind the Scenes of the video: http://www.eonline.com/uberblog/b171459_behind-the-scenes_look_lady_gagas.html

Lady Gaga on the video: http://www.eonline.com/uberblog/b171259_lady_gaga_on_telephone_its_hidden.html ("It's commentary on fame culture, a commentary on what kind of country we are.")

So I've checked the thread, and didn't really see anything on the matter of Lady Gaga's tattoos. I was wondering if there were any decent photos anywhere of them, or if Gaga has discussed them at any point, aside from the one she got for her father.

Some of them seemed to disappear and reappear during the video for Bad Romance, I'm assuming makeup was used to cover them for certain scenes, and than none were simply drawn on for the video itself.

ruarc posted:

Just saw this posted on facebook.

Also, this is loving amazing.

Le Saboteur
Dec 5, 2007

I hear you wish to ball, adventurer..
Just watched that Johnathon Ross interview from the 5th, and it was just super strange. I just look at her from 2 years ago and have a hard time reconciling it with what she is now. She acts offended when he asks her if she wheres anything normal or relaxed and insists this is how she always dresses. She consistently insists this is who she is, and it's just hard to believe when you see what she was say 2 years ago. She has tried to justify it by saying people made fun of her her whole life for being different, but thats a rather week justification.

She also gets weirded out when anything remotely personal is asked of her. It's just really hard to see where Gaga ends and where her normal life away from touring begins, or if Gaga even ends. Seems like she may be due for one of those massive celebrity breakdowns anytime.

Mrs. Mahler
Mar 8, 2006
Why a duck?

Kuroshi posted:

One piece also means dress in Japanese. I was confused by that.

Firequirks
Apr 15, 2007

Part of why I was excited for this video was to see everyone talking and dissecting all the bits and pieces of it. I really enjoyed reading this thread when I was still discovering Gaga and seeing the all of symbolism and metaphor talk about Bad Romance and her fashion.

Can we get the Gaga essayists like CharlieFoxtrot, Tao Jones and postmodifier from the early pages of this thread back up in here? :shobon: I soak that poo poo up.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

I am working on something, don't you worry.

The juxtaposition of Gaga clothing herself in the American flag after feeding poison to the people and dancing in a field of corpses is far too amazing to resist

emoticon
May 8, 2007
;)

Le Saboteur posted:

She also gets weirded out when anything remotely personal is asked of her. It's just really hard to see where Gaga ends and where her normal life away from touring begins, or if Gaga even ends. Seems like she may be due for one of those massive celebrity breakdowns anytime.

Either she's very smart (to keep her private life secret) or her alternate identity has become increasingly confused with her "real" identity--like Batman.

But really, if you're a creature of the media like Gaga is, what differentiates your image from your real self? For all you media nerds out there, the interview reminded me of a Baudrillard quote: "The simulacrum is never that which conceals the truth--it is the truth which conceals that there is none. The simulacrum is true." (To clarify, the "simulacrum" refers to an image, identity, or experience that has been transformed by the media so that it becomes part of a secondary reality. Baudrillard argues that these realities are all mixed up together in the modern age because of the prevalence of media and advertising, and that the new reality could even replace the primary one.)

emoticon fucked around with this message at 09:43 on Mar 13, 2010

F.F. Woodycooks
Jul 24, 2006

So on Gaga Daily, they have a few radio interviews with Gaga, one in which she talks of the product placement. She admits she needed the money for her videos, but that she chose the products specifically to fit in with the theme of mocking American pop culture.

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

This world only remembers the results!

The virgin mobile one still irks me, though

F.F. Woodycooks
Jul 24, 2006

Sockser posted:

The virgin mobile one still irks me, though

Yeah but like I said earlier, they are bankrolling her tour.

ArmoredBlue
Jul 1, 2007

Furthering the gay Mexican agenda.
I love the commentary about Fame, crime, and consumption in this video. If you're rich and famous, another rich and famous person can bail you out with no problem, even if you did get convicted of murder.

I think the diner scene was, in part, about American diets killing us (we're literally eating poison and by the time we realize it, it's already too late), but I can't help but feel she's talking about herself and the pop world: pop stars and the media come from a dark, selfish place, and if you consume it too fast without question, they'll just dance on your corpse and move on without remorse. When the police are after her and Beyonce at the end, who's to say that another rich and famous perosn won't bail her out again?

I'd say it's also a commentary about how when celebrities do something bad, they are easily forgiven as long as they make music and headlines and whatnot.

I don't know if I'm reading too much into this, but either way, she's gotten me thinking a lot about fame and pop culture, and I'd say that's good enough for me.

Free Market Gravy
Sep 17, 2005

emoticon posted:

Either she's very smart (to keep her private life secret) or her alternate identity has become increasingly confused with her "real" identity--like Batman.

I'd imagine the former.

Think about this: If you passed her on the street and she had brown hair and was wearing jeans, a t-shirt and sneakers, would you recognize her?

The avant-garde thing she's doing is not just for fashion, it's probably also for function. It lets her be who she is when she's not "on" and lets her leave Lady Gaga on stage and television. I don't think she's headed for a breakdown anytime soon. Another collapse from exhaustion/dehydration perhaps, but that's more the result of her being a workaholic. She seems to be acutely aware of herself and how to keep Stephanie Germanotta and Lady Gaga separate.

It's time to worry for her when she starts showing up as her real self in nightclubs and making a spectacle of herself.

Goobers For Guts
Jul 17, 2007
What the hell

All of the product placements and the Poison TV menu are blurred out in the MTV version!

Free Market Gravy
Sep 17, 2005

Goobers For Guts posted:

What the hell

All of the product placements and the Poison TV menu are blurred out in the MTV version!

Might have something to do with usage stipulations in the contracts. She had the right to use the logos in her video, but redistribution through another corporate entity (like MTV) is forbidden in absence of additional royalties.

Of course, MTV doesn't play videos, so this is kind of a moot point.

F.F. Woodycooks
Jul 24, 2006

Goobers For Guts posted:

What the hell

Why would anyone ever want to watch a MTV version of a Lady Gaga video?

Goobers For Guts
Jul 17, 2007

F.F. Woodycooks posted:

Why would anyone ever want to watch a MTV version of a Lady Gaga video?

Hey, it was where Hulu sends you from the E-news feed.

I guess I understand blurring out the product placement, but why the menu? And it gives a different angle on the crotch shot.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Free Market Gravy
Sep 17, 2005

Goobers For Guts posted:

Hey, it was where Hulu sends you from the E-news feed.

I guess I understand blurring out the product placement, but why the menu? And it gives a different angle on the crotch shot.

Probably both for "content" reasons. One is a recipe (albeit a fake one) for poisoning someone's food and the crotch shot is... yeah.

Got to protect to delicate sensibilities of the children who are watching MTV between 2 and 4 AM on weekdays.

• Locked thread