Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Carbohydrates
Nov 22, 2006

Listen, Mr. Kansas Law Dog.
Law don't go around here.
Savvy?

sailorjosh posted:

Grabbed this Vintage Mahogany Les Paul the other day. Used, got a good deal.

These own so hard. What year? Early versions are solid, later versions are chambered.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gripen5
Nov 3, 2003

'Startocaster' is more fun to say than I expected.

Carbohydrates posted:

These own so hard. What year? Early versions are solid, later versions are chambered.

Is it possible to find any new LPs and LP copies that aren't chambered? That just seems like something that isn't done anymore, for whatever reason. Lack of Demand or at least assumption of a lack of demand I suppose.

metalhead
Sep 13, 2007

by Y Kant Ozma Post
I just completed my rig guys....I'm suuuper excited to gig this thing. I picked up a tc electronic g-major and behringer fcb1010, and I also fabricated a cable for channel switching my non-midi mesa/boogie through the g-major. I can now switch amp channels AND effects patches with a single button...I'll get pics posted soon. It is a really slick setup!

Epi Lepi
Oct 29, 2009

You can hear the voice
Telling you to Love
It's the voice of MK Ultra
And you're doing what it wants
I couldn't help myself, even though I already have a Big Muff Pi with Tone Wicker I got the itch to buy one of these from a local craigslist guy and then got caught up in a bidding war to get a low price on eBay. Now all I need is some batteries so I can actually use it...

Epi Lepi fucked around with this message at 20:51 on Feb 3, 2012

Carbohydrates
Nov 22, 2006

Savvy?

Gripen5 posted:

Is it possible to find any new LPs and LP copies that aren't chambered? That just seems like something that isn't done anymore, for whatever reason. Lack of Demand or at least assumption of a lack of demand I suppose.
Agile makes LP copies that aren't chambered. I'm not sure if Epis are weight relieved, but most aren't chambered - the Ultra series is, though. Most Gibson LPs are weight relieved, but not chambered, including the Traditional, Traditional Plus, Traditional Pro, and Custom. Studios are chambered, I believe - I know the faded, satin, and silverburst ones are, so I assume the others are as well. Historic model Les Pauls are never weight relieved or chambered unless explicitly stated.

Personally, I love the hell out of chambered LPs. I have a chambered R8 and chambered Vintage Mahogany, plus I've been using a Gretsch Jet a lot lately (also chambered). Can't get enough!

EDIT: The difference between chambering and weight relief, if you're curious. Chambered on the left, weight relieved on the right:

Carbohydrates fucked around with this message at 03:52 on Mar 12, 2010

Gripen5
Nov 3, 2003

'Startocaster' is more fun to say than I expected.

Carbohydrates posted:

Agile makes LP copies that aren't chambered. I'm not sure if Epis are weight relieved, but most aren't chambered - the Ultra series is, though. Most Gibson LPs are weight relieved, but not chambered, including the Traditional, Traditional Plus, Traditional Pro, and Custom. Studios are chambered, I believe - I know the faded, satin, and silverburst ones are, so I assume the others are as well. Historic model Les Pauls are never weight relieved or chambered unless explicitly stated.

Personally, I love the hell out of chambered LPs. I have a chambered R8 and chambered Vintage Mahogany, plus I've been using a Gretsch Jet a lot lately (also chambered). Can't get enough!

EDIT: The difference between chambering and weight relief, if you're curious. Chambered on the left, weight relieved on the right:

Very cool. I actually have an Agile, I just assumed it was chambered. Doesn't feel THAT heavy. I'm told that effects the tone, but I am no where near the point that I could tell the difference anyway.

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

Laserface posted:

Fender Aerodyne Jazz (MIJ), left handed. its like a bass wearing a tuxedo!

So i received this today, in recording timing - 2 days total spent in transit from japan to my hands. Holy hell this thing is LOUD and with my tech 21 VT pedal, it sounds pretty god drat angry. totally stoked with the purchase and im even thinking of getting another one in white for D tuning :3

it actually is arch top like the american models, and has the pickguard. really awesome finish but its a finger print magnet. could do with some heavier strings but for now, it will do. got a gig tonight as well so its getting a maiden voyage on the same day as delivery. awesome.

Carbohydrates
Nov 22, 2006

Savvy?

Laserface posted:

really awesome finish but its a finger print magnet.
Welcome to the joy of owning a glossy black guitar. Don't worry about it, they're impossible to keep clean for more than 5 minutes so just go with it.

Livingston
Jun 28, 2007

:zombie:hiiitsss:zombie:
My black LP has been without a girlfriend for much too long.

Superchunk
Dec 27, 2009

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Livingston posted:

Not a huge fan of LPs but :aaaaa:

Gorilla Salsa
Dec 4, 2007

Post Post Post.
My boss had a hysterectomy two weeks ago, which meant I was left working 110 hours across two weeks (we run a small operation.)

This meant that my paycheck last night was significantly larger than what I'm used to, so I treated myself to a new guitar and bridge pickup:

(Ibanez RGR421EXFM & Dimarzio D-Sonic)

This will be my first 6-string in 5 years. I'm excited. :buddy:

7 Bowls of Wrath
Mar 30, 2007
Thats so metal.
gently caress it finally came in...only 2 months late.

Excited to use it this weekend

Eat My Ghastly Ass
Jul 24, 2007

I stopped by Guitar Center the other day on my lunch break to grab some strings and saw this

Click here for the full 600x800 image.

PRS CE22

Last night I went back and put it on layaway :unsmith:

Now it's time to start selling everything I own

betterinsodapop
Apr 4, 2004

64:3
In continuing with my recent trend of purchasing decidedly utilitarian and non-sexy gear, I bought this today:

I was tempted to wait for the PolyTune to come in, but I really needed a new tuning pedal for an upcoming show and couldn't wait.
Still, it's a nice tuner.

DEUCE SLUICE
Feb 6, 2004

I dreamt I was an old dog, stuck in a honeypot. It was horrifying.

Gorilla Salsa posted:

How are the D-Sonics? I was thinking of getting one of those for my RGA121...

Gorilla Salsa
Dec 4, 2007

Post Post Post.

warwick5s posted:

How are the D-Sonics? I was thinking of getting one of those for my RGA121...

I'll be sure to let you know when it gets here. I'm probably not even going to try the stock bridge pickup, as I plan to completely rewire the electronics shortly after opening the box. It comes as-is with a 5-way switch that includes coil splitting, but I hate volume and tone knobs, so I'm going to put them to use as the coil splitters and replace the 5-way with a 3-way (heh. :smug: )

Gorilla Salsa fucked around with this message at 22:31 on Mar 12, 2010

Ozymandius
Oct 9, 2007

Cross post from pedal board thread.

Pedaltrain board and the morley volume pedal.

Still waiting for my Ibanez AF-2 Flanger thought... Apparently I'll be the first person in Canada to get one :smug:

HundredxNails
Jun 15, 2007
Answering every pregnancy with a Coathanger!
The only two pedals aside from the footswitch that my amp came with.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

SuicideSnowman
Jul 26, 2003

Yarbald posted:

I stopped by Guitar Center the other day on my lunch break to grab some strings and saw this

Click here for the full 600x800 image.

PRS CE22

Last night I went back and put it on layaway :unsmith:

Now it's time to start selling everything I own

I've got a CU24 in a similar color. You won't be disappointed. Amazing guitars.

meatcookie
Jun 2, 2007
Had a really awesome slightly-late Christmas this year and got to take advantage of some post-holiday/recession sales. Throw in a major move and I haven't had time until recently to really play with any of the stuff I got.
Here's the family in our new digs. From right to left on the wall we have my well-loved Washburn KC-70V, then my two new ones, the Epi SG-310 (nthing the black being a fingerprint magnet) that no one seems to like but so far I'm loving it, and then the Washburn bass, model unknown. "Pro". Not much to go on. Gorgeous, though. Sounds fantastic, feels great.
Not shown are the Fender Frontman I picked up last summer as well as the righty Squier I got for $50.

Graaaains

Also picked up a new strap for my old guy. Chinese dragon kinda thing.

Not pictured due to camera battery dying are my new pedals: a Crybaby and a Danelectro Free Speech. Love the wah to death, the talkbox is interesting. I have to remember to breathe when I use it sometimes.
I'd intended to pick up a Behringer Vintage Time Machine but they were out of stock, sadly.

iostream.h
Mar 14, 2006
I want your happy place to slap you as it flies by.

SuicideSnowman posted:

I've got a CU22 in that color, welcome to the club, you're about to be very very happy.

Eat My Ghastly Ass
Jul 24, 2007

SuicideSnowman posted:

That's what I figure, I'm going to be very broke for the next few months but it will be totally worth it

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Educate. Agitate. Liberate.

Livingston posted:

Black on blonde? Hot!

Ireneo Funes
Feb 29, 2008

I managed to pick up this thing last night:

Click here for the full 1280x960 image.

Click here for the full 1280x960 image.

The catch is that I live in an apartment so I can't blast the thing like I want to.

:sigh:

Ireneo Funes fucked around with this message at 23:41 on Mar 13, 2010

Saddamnit
Jul 5, 2003

I have brained my damage.
Been teaching myself guitar for the past few months on my dad's old Guild and I decided it was time to buy my own. So I bought a Fender American Standard Strat. The pictures don't do it justice. The color is absolutely beautiful.

Tomahawk
Aug 13, 2003

HE KNOWS

Now it's time to learn how to play things!

HolySwissCheese
Mar 26, 2005
Quick question -

My buddy's got a 1994 (SN# CN4xxxxx) Korean-made Squier Strat, I played it the other day, and it feels really good for a Squier. I told him I'd buy it off him once I figured out what the fair value was. Not much turns up on google, but it looks like $150 to $200 is going rate. It's in really good shape except the vibrato is floating off the body right now by about an inch, but a new set of strings will fix that (he put a whacked out gauge on it recently). I don't think he has the whammy bar anymore, but those are only 15 bucks.

Plus it's white/white with maple board/neck, which is my fave color on a strat.

So do you think 150 to 200 is a good deal for it?

XakEp
Dec 20, 2002
Amor est vitae essentia

Been meaning to post up for a while, and today gave me a good reason to. A few months ago, I was looking to buy a new guitar, and had set my eyes on a new Ibanez JS1200CA from Ibanezrules.com. It was a little pricey, but I wanted something that was going to be far and away capable of anything that I played, and I liked how it looked. Some kind goons here suggested that I get another model guitar that was half the price and sounded the same. Against their advice, I bought the JS1200CA.

Today I discovered that was by far the better decision. Joe himself was here in Denver today for part of his Hendrix experience tour, and I had the opportunity to have him sign my guitar and let my son meet Joe.

Click here for the full 480x640 image.

Gramps
Dec 30, 2006

XakEp posted:

Been meaning to post up for a while, and today gave me a good reason to. A few months ago, I was looking to buy a new guitar, and had set my eyes on a new Ibanez JS1200CA from Ibanezrules.com. It was a little pricey, but I wanted something that was going to be far and away capable of anything that I played, and I liked how it looked. Some kind goons here suggested that I get another model guitar that was half the price and sounded the same. Against their advice, I bought the JS1200CA.

Today I discovered that was by far the better decision. Joe himself was here in Denver today for part of his Hendrix experience tour, and I had the opportunity to have him sign my guitar and let my son meet Joe.

Click here for the full 480x640 image.

I drove by there today to maybe go and meet Joe but it was a clusterfuck and the line stretched into the parking lot so I decided against it.

XakEp
Dec 20, 2002
Amor est vitae essentia

Yeah, we got there 1.5 hours early, and there was barely any line then. I'm glad we were there early, we beat the lines.

archie
Sep 16, 2003

Mr Lee! Why You No Wear Uniform?

Computer Jones
Jun 22, 2005

archie posted:

noice :c00lbert:

All About Trout
Jul 17, 2007

archie posted:

I want to do to Sones what I do to People

an AOL chatroom
Oct 3, 2002

I decided to redo my pedalboard:

Don't get me wrong, I love playing with pedals, but it's so nice having different banks of effects and settings readily available. I'm primarily using it for the effects, although I've got a few patches written up for specific songs that use the preamp function. What's really nice is that I can use the Amp Control function on the GT-8 to switch channels on my Marshall TSL, saving some space and setup time.

himajinga
Mar 19, 2003

Und wenn du lange in einen Schuh blickst, blickt der Schuh auch in dich hinein.
have any of you gear-gurus ever played a Fender Lead series guitar from the early 80s? I might be able to pick some up, I'm just wondering how they play/sound.

XYZAB
Jun 29, 2003

HNNNNNGG!!

himajinga posted:

have any of you gear-gurus ever played a Fender Lead series guitar from the early 80s? I might be able to pick some up, I'm just wondering how they play/sound.

A friend's dad had a Lead III and it kicked rear end, for what it's worth. Very playable, I'd pick one up no questions asked if it was a good deal.

himajinga
Mar 19, 2003

Und wenn du lange in einen Schuh blickst, blickt der Schuh auch in dich hinein.
Does a Lead II for $300 meet the criterion of a "good deal"? If so I'm gonna try and snag it.

Noise Machine
Dec 3, 2005

Today is a good day to save.

Yeah, that's a pretty good deal.

wilkenm
Jan 6, 2005
G&L Rampage aka Jerry Cantrell signature model. One pickup, one volume knob, and a whole lot of awesome.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gorilla Salsa
Dec 4, 2007

Post Post Post.

wilkenm posted:

G&L Rampage aka Jerry Cantrell signature model. One pickup, one volume knob, and a whole lot of awesome.

...is that a...KAHLER...I see? :monocle: