Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

We got crabs? We got crabs!

Danger - Octopus! posted:

I've got something like a hundred 6mm infantry to base so am going to be experimenting!

What period? And well, my 100 infantry only lasted me six bases!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Danger - Octopus!
Apr 20, 2008

Nap Ghost

lilljonas posted:

What period? And well, my 100 infantry only lasted me six bases!

Cold war Soviets. Then after that I've got the same amount again of British. Probably about five guys to a base but I can be fairly free and easy since I'll just be playing with mates.

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Educate. Agitate. Liberate.
I wish I could play in this:

It's at Adepticon this year. They're also giving out Patton, Willie, and Rommel figures:

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

Lord Commissar posted:

It's at Adepticon this year. They're also giving out Patton, Willie, and Rommel figures:

That... that doesn't actually look too hard to pull off. Don't give me stupid ideas now.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

Lord Commissar posted:

Fuuuuuck... want. I saw that table, it looks like fun.

No Pun Intended
Jul 23, 2007

DWARVEN SEX OFFENDER

ASK ME ABOUT TONING MY FINE ASS DWARVEN BOOTY BY RUNNING FROM THE COPS OUTSIDE THAT ELF KINDERGARTEN

BEHOLD THE DONG OF THE DWARVES! THE DWARVEN DONG IS COMING!
I picked up my last box of M10s today. I now have all the models (apart from planes) to field 1750 points of Airborne.

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

The only khaki spray I could find at WalMart was glossy, which would look terrible, I'm pretty sure.

I wonder if I should try a hardware store, or just buy some overpriced crap on the internet.

EDIT: Probably not cheap, but would one of these work?

3 Action Economist fucked around with this message at 15:58 on Feb 15, 2010

Serotonin
Jul 14, 2001

The history of all hitherto existing society is the history of *blank*
Off to play our groups first game of Black Powder. We are doing the Retreat from El Perez scenario from the book in 6mm.

Trip report with pics if I remember later!

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Serotonin posted:

Off to play our groups first game of Black Powder. We are doing the Retreat from El Perez scenario from the book in 6mm.

Trip report with pics if I remember later!

You'd loving better!

Serotonin
Jul 14, 2001

Lord Commissar posted:

You'd loving better!

Only took a couple of pics in the end due to the demands of being GM and they didnt come out very well. Soz.

But the game was superb. If not very long. It took nearly 15 turns before we finished, but saying that it only took 4 and a half hours, and when you conisder it was our first game so we were having to do some major rule book reading as we went, I think thats pretty drat good.

We played the Retreat From El Perez scenario as I have already said.
For those who havent seen the book, its a fictional scneario based on the British retreat to the coast during the Napoleonic wars Peninsular campaign.

Played from short edge to short edge- the 4 British brigades deploy in the middle of the board, and on the east edge over a small bridge on the road through a small town a small unit of French garrison troops deploy. The rest of the French force ( a large force of 5 brigades) start off board and come on the west edge througha large town.

The British objective is to get half or more of their force off the east board via the road leading from the bridge to the tabel edge.

We thought it would be a fairly quick game, as we failed to see how one small unit of crappy garrison troops could hold up the British retreat long enough. The Brit player decided to test this by pretty much turning his entire division towards the bridge and march for freedom. This was aided by the fact that the French player rolled like an arse and his troops limped on slowly through the town. The Brits left a ambush party in a farm complex of 2 artillery batteries and 2 small battalions of the green jacketed Rifles. Lurking to their flanks were 3 squadrons of dragoons and 2 horse artilery batteries on the hill.

I wont do a blow by blow as I doubt abyone will read this all, but the valiant garrison troops held up the British retreat for 10 turns, while the French slow march to the drums increased in speed as they sped twoards the bottleneck around the river. Some gung ho movement saw the dug in artillery in the fields able to do some substantial damage to a French cavalry brigade before they were eventually swept away by Heavy Dragoons. The rifles faired better, especially as the French player decided to ignore them.

The game ended with a massive pitched battle with the Brits deploying a brigade in line to cover the slow retreat of the rest of their forces over the bridge. The combat was very bloody as the Brits were slowly chipped away at. At the last turn, only 1 more battalion needed to leave the table having crossed the bridge, and only 1 battalion of Portuguese foot were left holding the west bank. At that point, some superb fire from the 95th rifles who had sprung fromt he fields onto the road to hold up 3 battalions of French line ifnantry who were attempting to reinforce the final push on the bridge did enough damage to break a brigade, leading to the French to reach their army break point.

We called the game at that point, with a very minor victory to the British.

It was a superb game. The rules are fast and easy to understand and it really felt like a Napoleonics game, with large formations of French marching in attack column on to the British infantry deployed in line, and with artillery blasting away and skirmishing riflemen picking off targets. An absolute hit for our gaming group, and we cant wait for some more.

Serotonin fucked around with this message at 11:00 on Feb 16, 2010

LintMan
Mar 12, 2006
Be seening you
You just reminded me, here is a game of black powder we had a few weeks ago. Note not all of us managed to paint our toys in time. I am proud to say I did.

First off here is my Brigade:

The Cav got assigned and grouped together so I only had infantry and 1 battery of cannon under my direct command.
Here is the French all lined up:

And here is the Redcoats:

This is the Village we are fighting over:

Good work lads, a good dice roll and I got 3 moves, 32" advance for my Brigade. I get to the hedge line as ordered.

Hey guys where are the rest of you? Umm... those are awfully black, undercoated British Dragoons. Where are my reinforcements? My fellow Frenchmen decided to fail their orders and were left behind while I had Cav to deal with. There was 3 batteries of Horse artillery just behind the Cav.

In the rules cav force infantry into square. Cav can't charge a organised square but being in square means you get shot at a lot from cannon fire and muskets. Out of my 4 units two were kept in square and were hammered with cannon. I was behind the hedge so it wasn't as bad as it would of been.

Meanwhile my two units not in square tried to assault a unit of Riflemen from a building. They fought my units off and were reinforced by more British infantry.

My infantry finally broke from cannon fire and my troops started to retreat. Our mass of Cav on the flank didn't break through in time and our centre failed to stop the British infantry from taking the Village and gaining victory.

I like blackpowder for big games we played this game 5 players per side each player bringing what they wanted to paint up and it worked. Took us 5 hours to play including setup and a lunch break and we actually got a result and not a stalemate which these large battles tend to turn into.

Serotonin
Jul 14, 2001

That looks great. If we had a bigger table avaialbel to us we would be so tempted to try it in 28mm

We played on a smaller table (8x4) using 6mm scale figures and altered the distances to cm.

Im really impressed with the rule set so far. Cant wait to try it again.

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Lord Commissar posted:

The only khaki spray I could find at WalMart was glossy, which would look terrible, I'm pretty sure.

I wonder if I should try a hardware store, or just buy some overpriced crap on the internet.

EDIT: Probably not cheap, but would one of these work?

Anyone?

The weather might just be nice enough for me to spray my army this weekend.

Serotonin
Jul 14, 2001

One on left

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

That's what I was thinking, too. Ok, good.

Silhouette
Nov 16, 2002

SONIC BOOM!!!

Yeah, the one on the left is slightly greenish. The one on the right is too red for proper khakis.

No Pun Intended
Jul 23, 2007

DWARVEN SEX OFFENDER

ASK ME ABOUT TONING MY FINE ASS DWARVEN BOOTY BY RUNNING FROM THE COPS OUTSIDE THAT ELF KINDERGARTEN

I know this isn't strictly historical, but since the core version is, I am asking here. Anyone have any experience with Ambush Z?

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

I own the book, but I haven't played it yet.

Danger - Octopus!
Apr 20, 2008

Nap Ghost
Hey Serotonin (or anyone else 6mm oriented) - how would you go about making 6mm camo netting? I was thinking cutting bits out of a pair of tights and then carefully glueing a few bits of flock to them...

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

I WON THIS AMAZING AVATAR! I'M A WINNER! WOOOOO!
I know this is a minis thread but I can't find a SA scale model thread is so can anyone point me to a good place to get 1/35 scale armour. Specifically the Sturmtiger 38mm mortar tank. I don't care which company the kit comes from but I want it for cheap. Thanks.

Silhouette
Nov 16, 2002

SONIC BOOM!!!

Hey Serotonin (or anyone else 6mm oriented) - how would you go about making 6mm camo netting? I was thinking cutting bits out of a pair of tights and then carefully glueing a few bits of flock to them...

The stockings sound like a good idea, but use ground oregano instead of flock.

No Pun Intended
Jul 23, 2007

DWARVEN SEX OFFENDER

Indolent Bastard posted:

I know this is a minis thread but I can't find a SA scale model thread is so can anyone point me to a good place to get 1/35 scale armour. Specifically the Sturmtiger 38mm mortar tank. I don't care which company the kit comes from but I want it for cheap. Thanks.

I don't have your answer, but Here is the scale models thread

Serotonin
Jul 14, 2001

Gauze bandages maybe? Never really tried.

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

I WON THIS AMAZING AVATAR! I'M A WINNER! WOOOOO!

No Pun Intended posted:

I don't have your answer, but Here is the scale models thread

The Something Awful Forums > The Finer Arts > Creative Convention > DIY & Hobbies > We Do It for the Inhalants - Scale Modeling Thread

No wonder I couldn't find it, thanks.

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

drat it.

Yesterday would have been the perfect day to basecoat my Soviets, and I didn't have the paint. I'm on Jury Duty this week, though, so maybe I'll luck out and be able to get some paint. Then I have to hope for another decent day.

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

Lord Commissar posted:

drat it.

Yesterday would have been the perfect day to basecoat my Soviets, and I didn't have the paint. I'm on Jury Duty this week, though, so maybe I'll luck out and be able to get some paint. Then I have to hope for another decent day.

Bonus points if you get some painting done during jury duty. Extra bonus point for a picture of the reaction from your fellow jurors as you paint commies in court.

Barry the Sprout
Jan 12, 2001

I've finally got around to painting the two riflemen I got for Christmas, and I've started on some 15 mm Polish figures. They are fiddly. I have a feeling it might be a long time till I paint the 60 French I have in my Victrix set. :france: :sigh:

Related to this, can someone tell me how to deal with the bases on these figures when I'm basing them. Something tells me I'm not meant to try and cut them off, but I think they'll look really out of place when properly based.

Serotonin
Jul 14, 2001

Barry the Sprout posted:

Related to this, can someone tell me how to deal with the bases on these figures when I'm basing them. Something tells me I'm not meant to try and cut them off, but I think they'll look really out of place when properly based.

If properly based you should be able to disguise the integrated bases very easily.

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Anyone know of any manufacturers that sell Prussians in any scale? Napoleonic era?

Barry the Sprout
Jan 12, 2001

Lord Commissar posted:

Anyone know of any manufacturers that sell Prussians in any scale? Napoleonic era?

My friend uses Essex Miniatures, here's a link to their 15 mm range:

http://www.essexminiatures.co.uk/frames15nap.html

I apologise, it is, unfortunately, an ugly website.

Serotonin posted:

If properly based you should be able to disguise the integrated bases very easily.

My experience with miniatures is with GW where the figure has no integrated base. I can't see these tabs being hidden with basing sand/flock very easily and green stuff seems a bit of a pricey solution.

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Since the 40k thread is currently laughing about a deep-striking Land Raider, I thought I'd throw this out as an idea for deep-striking historicals:

No Pun Intended
Jul 23, 2007

DWARVEN SEX OFFENDER

That is the most :black101: picture ever.

Edit - Totally reminds me of this shirt:

No Pun Intended fucked around with this message at 07:30 on Mar 10, 2010

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

Barry the Sprout posted:

My friend uses Essex Miniatures, here's a link to their 15 mm range:

http://www.essexminiatures.co.uk/frames15nap.html

I apologise, it is, unfortunately, an ugly website.

My experience with miniatures is with GW where the figure has no integrated base. I can't see these tabs being hidden with basing sand/flock very easily and green stuff seems a bit of a pricey solution.

Baccus makes 6mm Prussians: https://www.baccus6mm.com/index.php?content=products/napoleonic&detail=napoleonics

Integrated bases are pretty easy to hide. Fastest is to just fill up a little bit with sand around where the miniature meets the base. If you want to put in some more effort you can even it out with green stuff while basing them, or put some filler on the base and squeeze the models on. Green stuff is not so pricey since you need so little of it, one strip will last for whole armies.

For integral bases in 28mm I will even it out with green stuff:

Integral bases in 15mm I will even out with green stuff if I can be bothered or if the bases are very tall, otherwise I will just paint it over with glue and sand:

Glue and sand

Green Stuff

This far 6mm has been most problematic, since the base is so large compared to the model due to the tiny size. These are done with Green Stuff:

Myself, I just can't decide if I should go ahead with these 6mm on 40mm wide, 15-30mm deep bases as above, of if I should go for bigger bases. The latter would be far more dioramic and impressive, but would use about twice as many models, almost twice as large a playing area and I would need to buy a lot of new bases. Smaller bases are also better for the only games I have that cover the period, so I would have to look up other rules sets too. Gah!

So there are all these disadvantages of going with larger bases, but just look at it!

http://dereksweetoys.com/?p=21#more-21

I have 55 USD on my paypal and an itchy trigger finger, I just need to decide how to do it.

R.S. Gumby
Jul 26, 2007

Utterly useless.

Barry the Sprout posted:

Apart from the other advice already given, there is the option of using bases with raised edges. Glue the mini down and fill in the base. I've seen a couple of manufacturers that do this type of base. Em4miniatures seems to have some. Reaper too, but they're hilariously expensive. Might not be easy to find the dimensions you're after though.

But if you're as anal as I am about having a whole army with soldiers standing on their own little circular hills, then you could always make your own. Make a few masters, a simple mould, and cast as many as you need (well, in my case pay a friend a few beers to cast them). Here's mine:

Danger - Octopus!
Apr 20, 2008

Nap Ghost

Lord Commissar posted:

Since the 40k thread is currently laughing about a deep-striking Land Raider, I thought I'd throw this out as an idea for deep-striking historicals:

[apocalypse-then.jpg]

"Why, pray, art thou sitting on thy helmets?"
"Ah, sirrah - it dost prevent thy cods being blown to smithereens by yon cannon!"

Barry the Sprout
Jan 12, 2001

Thanks lilljonas and R.S. Gumby. I think I'm going to go with the Green Stuff option for now, found some for cheap on EBay. Waiting on Paint Vagrant's basing kit before I do it though. Have to say I'm glad I'm not the only one anal about such things.

Danger - Octopus!
Apr 20, 2008

Nap Ghost
Just got infantry to do now. This is the most recent portion of my Soviet army with some BM-21s, BTR-70s, T-72s, some Spetsnaz and my FAC (I know that the Straight Flush isn't actually used for that purpose, but it looks neat)

Click here for the full 700x448 image.

Click here for the full 700x440 image.

Click here for the full 800x429 image.

Click here for the full 1100x514 image.

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Needs more air support.

Danger - Octopus!
Apr 20, 2008

Nap Ghost

Lord Commissar posted:

Needs more air support.

I've got an unpainted Hind next after the infantry.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

I got to play the infantry scenario in the Open Fire! box set (FoW) today. I think I'm starting to get a grasp of these rules.

It's hard to adapt to a system where how well you shoot is based on your opponent's troop ratings, but I understand the purpose of that.