Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ReelBigLizard
Feb 27, 2003

Fallen Rib

CSi-NA-EJ7 posted:

Very dirty. I know

Nice find! don't worry about keeping it clean mate, Supermoto's are for riding, not preening.

Spiffness posted:

How prophetic you should say this, my 690 threw up a FI code tonight on the ride home and lost power a few times. Tomorrow it goes to the dealer to figure out whats up. Under warranty, which is nice, but oi.

Which FI code did it give you? The owners manual has a decoder table in the troubleshooting chapter.

ReelBigLizard fucked around with this message at 20:12 on Mar 7, 2010

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jharkov
Feb 26, 2008

by Ozma
Just got this in the mail today for the DRZ.

Ohlins, baby.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.
:argh:

I desperately want one of those for my DRZ :(

Where'd you find it and how much did you pay for it?

Jharkov
Feb 26, 2008

by Ozma
Got it from fastbike industries for $750 US including respring, revalve for my riding style. brand new.
Mounted it last night, looks too pretty in the frame of my beat up DRZ.
Now just waiting on the RM250 forks to get valved and sprung, and new seals put in. they were leaking like a bitch when i first got em'.
Great thing about the 2005 RM250 forks, they are a direct bolt onto the DRZ.
Top an bottom triple, DRZ front wheel and brakes.. all bolt on.
Great upgrade for less wallowing riding.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.
Is there anyone that's done a write up on the RM250 stuff or is it really that simple? Just grab the triples and forks and away you go? Are there any other years that are compatable/worthwhile?

Jharkov
Feb 26, 2008

by Ozma

Z3n posted:

Is there anyone that's done a write up on the RM250 stuff or is it really that simple? Just grab the triples and forks and away you go? Are there any other years that are compatable/worthwhile?

There were basic write-ups on TT detailing what fits what and which year models.
The RMZ 250/450 forks aren't a bolt on.
The RM250 from 2005 onward is direct. Top & bottom triple clamp with stem, direct bolt on. DRZ stock wheel and all.

Slim Pickens
Jan 12, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Is this your ad, spiffness?
http://seattle.craigslist.org/see/mcy/1631943472.html

Things like "Bike has been down, as any supermoto should." make me believe it was someone from here.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

^^^ that's spiffness's DRZ.

Jharkov posted:

There were basic write-ups on TT detailing what fits what and which year models.
The RMZ 250/450 forks aren't a bolt on.
The RM250 from 2005 onward is direct. Top & bottom triple clamp with stem, direct bolt on. DRZ stock wheel and all.

Hrm, ok. It looks like the general consensus is that you still have to revalve and respring because the DRZ is a fair bit heavier, but I guess if I'm gonna be buying a front end, may as well go for the bling upgrade. How about the brakes? I'm doing an SM conversion at some point, stock E stuff fit just fine?

VVV beaten, lol.

Z3n fucked around with this message at 23:49 on Mar 9, 2010

FlerpNerpin
Apr 17, 2006

Slim Pickens posted:

Is this your ad, spiffness?
http://seattle.craigslist.org/see/mcy/1631943472.html

Things like "Bike has been down, as any supermoto should." make me believe it was someone from here.

Guilty as charged

Edit: Geez, I need to proof read that ad.

FlerpNerpin fucked around with this message at 23:50 on Mar 9, 2010

Jharkov
Feb 26, 2008

by Ozma

Z3n posted:

Hrm, ok. It looks like the general consensus is that you still have to revalve and respring because the DRZ is a fair bit heavier, but I guess if I'm gonna be buying a front end, may as well go for the bling upgrade. How about the brakes? I'm doing an SM conversion at some point, stock E stuff fit just fine?

Yep you still should revalve and respring, but it will work just fine without doing that. the DRZ being some 30KG heavier than an RM250, yeah, thats why im getting it done.
Stock E brakes direct bolt on. including disc, caliper, everything.

I'm doing the Sm conversion right now as well. Bought a Beringer 4 piston caliper with disc, i preferred this setup due to the smaller 310MM disc not requiring me to remove the brake pads when swapping between dirt & road brake setups.

My gearing setup consists of:
13/44 Dirt
16/44 SM
And i can use the same chain for this. Maximum versatility is the goal :-)

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

That's perfect, I was actually wondering if the 16 tooth would fit on the front, as the 15 is already drat close to the swingarm pivot, me and the g/f need to extend the gearing on the bikes for our long trip this summer, and a 16 or even a 17 front would be ideal. Plus then I can just swap the front sprocket to gear it back down for the track and hooning in seattle.

We've got a motomaster 4 piston with the relocator bracket on the front of the g/f's DRZ and you can remove the front caliper and get the wheel off with 17s. It's real close, but doable.

There's a guy selling a Marzocchi front end, I'm sorely tempted to just suck it up and buy that, it'd go nicely with the theme of putting lipstick on a pig and expecting it to act like a lady.

Jharkov
Feb 26, 2008

by Ozma
I love putting lipstick on my pig :D
I just need really good suspension to push it hard in the single tracks. On my XR650R i was leaving behind KTM 300EXCs and the like in the single tracks, when i put CRF450X suspension on it.
I'd go for the Marzocchis.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

Jharkov posted:

I love putting lipstick on my pig :D
I just need really good suspension to push it hard in the single tracks. On my XR650R i was leaving behind KTM 300EXCs and the like in the single tracks, when i put CRF450X suspension on it.
I'd go for the Marzocchis.

Yeah, I'm just not sure if I can justify dropping a grand on them. Sigh. Maybe I can find something else, who knows.

We'll see if they're still around when I've got money again.

Jharkov
Feb 26, 2008

by Ozma
You can pickup an RM250 front end for like $250

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

Jharkov posted:

You can pickup an RM250 front end for like $250
Is that for the 05+ models?

I can't seem to find any on ebay but I'll keep an eye out. I also need to see what was done with the rear shock on the DRZ, as they don't have a huge amount of travel to spare and apparently the g/f's DRZ has a shock with a Honda logo on it. What is going on...:psyduck:

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

Sorry to double post but:

Jharkov, who makes your 16t front sprocket? Did you have to trim the swingarm plastic down a bit? I'm thinking I'll run 16-39 or 41 for trips and have a 14 tossed in the saddlebags for play time.

Dubs
Mar 6, 2007

Stroll Own Zone.
Disregard Stroll outside zone.
Driven makes the only front sprocket that will fit with the stock case saver left intact.
There are plenty of other cheaper ones that will fit with mods too/ or without the case saver, but iv never heard of anyone ever having to cut down swingarm plastics.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

Thanks, I'll grab 2 of those.

Man_of_Teflon
Aug 15, 2003

Anyone have any experience with the WR250x, especially as compared to a DRZ? Right now I'm looking at a very well maintained '06 DRZ with 7k miles for $3400, and a '08 WR250x with 4k miles from a dealer for $4000.

The whole modern fuel injected thing is tempting me, but is it really worth the extra money considering the lower displacement?

FlerpNerpin
Apr 17, 2006

Man_of_Teflon posted:

Anyone have any experience with the WR250x, especially as compared to a DRZ? Right now I'm looking at a very well maintained '06 DRZ with 7k miles for $3400, and a '08 WR250x with 4k miles from a dealer for $4000.

The whole modern fuel injected thing is tempting me, but is it really worth the extra money considering the lower displacement?

DRZ is probably the better bike. The WR is a 6 speed but it's just as poor at highway cruising as the DRZ.

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

You don't need style when you've got strength!

Man_of_Teflon posted:

Read this - http://www.supermotojunkie.com/showthread.php?t=52362

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

Man_of_Teflon posted:

I wouldn't. Buy the DRZ...the WR's a decent enough bike but the tires are tiny and weird sizes and impossible to find decent rubber for, plus no aftermarket, no used bikes for parts, etc.

They're fairly comparable if you just compare them as bone stock motorcycles, but the DRZ has a shitload of potential, support, and parts that the WR just doesn't have.

Jharkov
Feb 26, 2008

by Ozma
Z3n,

I forget which forks fit, but if you go for USD forks, try to get the 2005 RM250 triples. The offset is closest matched to the DRZ, so it will still feel stable at speed.
i think any of the RM250 forks 2000-2005 allow fitting of the DRZ wheel and caliper.

Man_of_Teflon,

I've owned a WR250R. Found it far too gutless for my needs.
It was surprisingly OK on the freeway, next to no vibration. very smooth. but simply not enough torque for me.

CSi-NA-EJ7
Feb 21, 2007
Not letting the SM thread go to the second page.

Did my first stoopies on the KTM last night. Even with the dirt bike brake it will still pick up the rear with enough force on the lever. Stoppies are so scary :cry:

FlerpNerpin
Apr 17, 2006

CSi-NA-EJ7 posted:

Not letting the SM thread go to the second page.

Did my first stoopies on the KTM last night. Even with the dirt bike brake it will still pick up the rear with enough force on the lever. Stoppies are so scary :cry:

About a week ago I fired up the DRZ and took it out for a little spin. Racing towards a red light I started braking... and... nothing really happened. You could tell the bike was trying to stop but... seriously DRZ? SERIOUSLY? ARE WE GOING TO STOP IN TIME?! JEEEEEEEEEEEEEEZZZZZUZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ....

When you get used to having 1 finger stoppie brakes, be careful going back down to grampa brakes.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Haha, what kind of crazy rear end crabon brakes are you used to that the DRZ brakes make you wonder if you'll stop in time?

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

Phat_Albert posted:

Haha, what kind of crazy rear end crabon brakes are you used to that the DRZ brakes make you wonder if you'll stop in time?

His right hand's not his, uhh, dominant hand.

You should ride something with the full setup though: Lines, pads, master cylinder, calipers. It's like the hand of god stops you, it's amazing. One finger stoppies isn't just a figure of speech. My SV with the brembo stuff made using more than 2 fingers utterly, totally pointless. That setup on a supermoto would make your head explode. The g/f's DRZ with the motomaster stuff and the stock MC is already pretty amazing, with the full brembo kit, it'd be astounding.

FlerpNerpin
Apr 17, 2006

Phat_Albert posted:

Basically what Z3n said. I've grown spoiled by Brembo this and Brembo that, so stepping down to everyman stopping power... I didn't come in aggressively enough to start, and then when my brain processed that 'wait a second... this is different'. I had to adapt quickly... very quickly.

It only happened that once, and then I was ready for it. Just that brief moment of "JESUS CHRIST IS THIS THING BROKEN?!"

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Completely on accident, I stoppied at my MSF. It was a DR200SE, so it's not like it weighed anything.

CSi-NA-EJ7
Feb 21, 2007
Whats the easiest way to get the bike on a stand?

Lifting it sucks, especially by yourself and having no previous dirt bike history either doesn't help either. Was hoping that having it on the stand would ease my roommates worries or hitting one of the bark busters while she was parking in the garage but not the whole bike is no where near the wall anymore.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

CSi-NA-EJ7 posted:

Lifting it sucks, especially by yourself and having no previous dirt bike history either doesn't help either. Was hoping that having it on the stand would ease my roommates worries or hitting one of the bark busters while she was parking in the garage but not the whole bike is no where near the wall anymore.

It's a dirt bike, just leave it in gear and lean it against the wall. Bonus points for sliding it sideways with the rear brake into it's resting place.

Slim Pickens
Jan 12, 2007

Grimey Drawer
On my dirtbike, I always just grabbed the opposite side of the subframe under the fender and levered it up on the stand with my hip. But yeah, just lean it against the wall if it's in the way.

Gnaghi
Jan 25, 2008

Is this a good first bike?

CSi-NA-EJ7 posted:

I got this bad boy on sale.

http://www.cyclegear.com/spgm.cfm?L1=5007&L2=5008&L3=35&L4=727&item=RHI_TALL-500-BLK_G

You don't have to really lift it at all, maybe an inch and then you jack it up with your foot.

CSi-NA-EJ7
Feb 21, 2007
I really didn't know if I could trust a moving parts/pneumatic jack so I bought one (non moving parts jack stand) at Harbor Freight. I think I'm doing it wrong

Fuzzy Pipe Wrench
Nov 5, 2008

MAYBE DON'T STEAL BEER FROM GOONS?

CHEERS!
(FUCK YOU)

Endless Mike posted:

Completely on accident, I stoppied at my MSF. It was a DR200SE, so it's not like it weighed anything.

Haha I did the same thing on a Suzuki gs250 when I was taking mine. I took the "get up to third gear" a little too seriously the first time around on the hard braking.

Dubs
Mar 6, 2007

Stroll Own Zone.
Disregard Stroll outside zone.
I have a DRC lift that is preety Rad. Once it is up, its locked mechanically from the lever, its not just hanging on the piston, so if the piston did fail for whatever reason it isnt gonna fall onto the ground, its just going to lock into the lever.

Jharkov
Feb 26, 2008

by Ozma
The bike is finally complete!

2000 DRZ400E with a heavy off-road background as you can see on the engine & frame :P

RM250 Front end, revalved & sprung for the DRZ.
Vapour computer
Stainless steel front brake line
Beringer 4 piston caliper & 310MM disc.
Warp 9 Supermoto wheelset with Bridgestone tyres
Ohlins rear shock, extended travel to E specification & revalved/sprung.
Acerbis black plastics
Trailtech X-2 Halogen headlight
Supermoto front fender
Smoke lens Edge tail light & LED indicators
Renthal fatbars
15/40 gearing, I switch to 13/44 for my off-road wheelset.

It just feels amazing with this suspension, even on the streets. Can't wait to try it off-road.

Arcteryx Anarchist
Sep 15, 2007

Fun Shoe
I'm so jealous of that bike :(

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

God that thing is gorgeous. Where'd you get the Edge taillight? I need something similar for mine.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jharkov
Feb 26, 2008

by Ozma

Z3n posted:

God that thing is gorgeous. Where'd you get the Edge taillight? I need something similar for mine.

I got it from http://www.wheelingcyclesupply.com
Great service from that place.

They really clean up the tail on the bike. especially when you get their LED indicators too.

• Locked thread