Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Free Gucci Mane
Aug 31, 2009

by Ozmaugh

Josh Lyman posted:

He's trading options on large cap, high beta names. It's not that hard to do well when you've got no real money on the line.

You mean it's easy just in terms of being able to make riskier decisions? What exactly prevents someone from replicating that in real life?

edit--wtf he's up 2 million since I posted it originally.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

greasyhands
Oct 28, 2006

Best quality posts,
freshly delivered

Free Gucci Mane posted:

You mean it's easy just in terms of being able to make riskier decisions? What exactly prevents someone from replicating that in real life?

edit--wtf he's up 2 million since I posted it originally.

It's more like it's an extremely risky strategy that can pay huge sums and he, while playing with fake money and the entire goal being "go for as much appreciation as possible with no worry about downside because its fake money", happens to be doing really well at it. There are hundreds of people on investopedia trying the same strategy who lost it all.

If you take 100,000 people, sit them at a virtual roulette table,give them virtual money, and have them all bet it all on single numbers, someone is probably going to hit 4 or 5 in a row and make a billion dollars- it doesn't mean they are an expert roulette player, it just means 100,000 people were trying an extremely risky strategy and the mathematics of it allowed one (or several) to clean house with it. Everyone else lost all their money.

It's not an investment strategy, it's an "I'm playing a simulation and want to see if I can hit a jackpot" strategy. It's like the difference between playing online poker where everyone has $100 in the game and playing online poker where everyone is playing with imaginary money- they're two completely different games.

greasyhands fucked around with this message at 01:39 on Mar 12, 2010

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Dr. Eldarion posted:

I'm looking for a website and it seems like there should be hundreds, but I can't seem to find even one. All I want to do is plug in all the stocks I own and how much of them I have, and see a historical graph of their combined value, perhaps something similar to this, showing a total and breaking it out by each individual value in that total.

TD Ameritrade doesn't appear to do it, and I can't find any websites that do after searching for around 10 minutes. Does this really not exist, or do I just suck at searching?
I know TD Ameritrade's StrategyDesk allows for backtesting portfolios, though I never bothered to learn how to use it.

ElehemEare
May 20, 2001
I am an omnipotent penguin.

Further from my chariot resources/china sci-tech not-gloat post, Aus goons may want to look at CFE. A$135 million cash offer from China SciTech to acquire a mothballed copper mine. Needs FIRB approval though.

destructo
Apr 29, 2006
BNVI will announce the start of its phase III trial of Menerba in the next couple weeks, interest in the past couple months has been really low, but this is going to give a welcome pop to the share price. A decent short-term play at the least, I'll probably hold till at least $1.00-$1.50 or so before I sell off half of my position. We'll probably see at least a 0.25 cent jump on the news.

Hobologist
May 4, 2007

We'll have one entire section labelled "for degenerates"
Does anyone know a site that includes free cash flow (earnings plus depreciation minus capital expenditure) in its statistical data about stocks? It's such a useful tool and no one seems to have heard of it.

LactoseO.D.'d
Jun 3, 2002
Morningstar.com has that.

Sylink
Apr 17, 2004

destructo posted:

BNVI will announce the start of its phase III trial of Menerba in the next couple weeks, interest in the past couple months has been really low, but this is going to give a welcome pop to the share price. A decent short-term play at the least, I'll probably hold till at least $1.00-$1.50 or so before I sell off half of my position. We'll probably see at least a 0.25 cent jump on the news.

What makes you think it will beat the 52wk high any time soon?

PianoDragn
Jan 30, 2006
Possibly a stupid question, I am thinking of picking up some shares of DZZ. I remember hearing somewhere (can't find source anymore) that when shorting the maximum ROI you can have is 200% is that true?

Plastic Jesus
Aug 26, 2006

I'm cranky most of the time.

PianoDragn posted:

Possibly a stupid question, I am thinking of picking up some shares of DZZ. I remember hearing somewhere (can't find source anymore) that when shorting the maximum ROI you can have is 200% is that true?

When shorting the most you can make is the sale price * number of shares you're short, less any borrowing costs (and that assumes the stock goes to 0).

Inverse and leveraged funds are not intended to be held beyond a day. If you don't understand why not then you should do a lot more research before buying in.

destructo
Apr 29, 2006

Sylink posted:

What makes you think it will beat the 52wk high any time soon?
52week high will be a bit of a stretch in the short term, but it'll easily pop a quarter. It's been oscillating between 0.50 and 0.65 on no news right now. Do your own DD, but Menerba is a game changer as far as menopause relief drugs go as it's not hormone based (aka cancer-causing) like the rest of products on the market. Competing products like DEPO's are currently under scrutiny for possibly having the same issues as Xenoport's recently denied NDA. Menerba has been proven to be safe and effective in the latest phase II study with the only side effect being loose stool as opposed to several black label warnings compared to current offerings.

Aside from that they have a breast cancer drug and a vaginal dryness product also in the works, they also have plenty of money in the bank to avoid dilution or fund raising for a year or so.

The Phase III trial is scheduled to start in June, but the announcement should come shortly.

Ned
May 23, 2002

by Hand Knit
SLNM has a market cap of 110k. Would it be possible to buy a controlling stake in the company?

Hobologist
May 4, 2007

LactoseO.D.'d posted:

Morningstar.com has that.

Sweet, thanks.

Plastic Jesus
Aug 26, 2006

I liked it better when people didn't talk about penny stocks.

waffle
May 12, 2001
HEH

I WANT TO EAT BABBY posted:

Yeah this thread went a weird "get rich quick" scheme direction

ElehemEare
May 20, 2001

At least the sub-$1 stocks I'm talking about are established/semi-established mining companies with near-term assets and millions in market cap.... right? Just want to make sure I'm not making GBS threads up the thread.

That guy who wants to buy a controlling share in SNLM is pretty well out there though.

Ned
May 23, 2002

by Hand Knit
Well, I find SLNM to be kind of interesting. They are actually a pretty well established brand and that alone should be worth more than their market cap. They have a bit of debt but nothing too crazy.

Shrug. Here are financials. http://finance.yahoo.com/q/bs?s=SLNM.OB

I was just asking a strange question. I look at their traffic and figure they have to be worth something even with outstanding debt. I think there are actually a lot of good things about salon.com - great name, valuable brand, a nice backlog of good content. If they can transition well to the iPad and future devices where people might be more willing to pay for content that travels with them they might make money.

There aren't really many magazine/news sites out there with a larger audience and a longer history than salon.com. I work on a site that ranks a bit better than salon.com in Quantcast and see a lot of potential. So when I see that the current market valuation is 100k, I ask questions. The domain itself has to be worth 500k to a million.

destructo
Apr 29, 2006

Different people have different strategies, I don't see what the issue is. I'm not talking about pump & dump momentum-only subpenny stocks. Someone brought up the same issue when I talked about GNVC in the last thread, look where it is now. $1.00 in December to a double top of 3.35 over the past two months. I made an assload of money by doing my own DD, there's nothing wrong with being aggressive if you're willing to do your reading.

That said there are plenty of garbage biotechs as well, not everything is the next HGSI or DNDN.

ElehemEare
May 20, 2001

Ned posted:

Well, I find SLNM to be kind of interesting. They are actually a pretty well established brand and that alone should be worth more than their market cap. They have a bit of debt but nothing too crazy.

Underwater shareholder equity, ($3.7 million) in working capital is nothing crazy to you? If that's the case, have I got something to sell you...

Foma
Oct 1, 2004
Hello, My name is Lip Synch. Right now, I'm making a post that is anti-bush or something Micheal Moore would be proud of because I and the rest of my team lefty friends (koba1t included) need something to circle jerk to.
Does the dividend from BAB get the matching 35% from the government or is that included in the dividend?

Bigntasty
Oct 15, 2003
How would I go about buying HTC they don't have an ADR and are on the TWE. It looks freaking cheap especially with the android operating system becoming more popular.

2498.tw

Baddog
May 12, 2001

Ned posted:

Shrug. Here are financials. http://finance.yahoo.com/q/bs?s=SLNM.OB

I was just asking a strange question. I look at their traffic and figure they have to be worth something even with outstanding debt. I think there are actually a lot of good things about salon.com - great name, valuable brand, a nice backlog of good content. If they can transition well to the iPad and future devices where people might be more willing to pay for content that travels with them they might make money.

There aren't really many magazine/news sites out there with a larger audience and a longer history than salon.com. I work on a site that ranks a bit better than salon.com in Quantcast and see a lot of potential. So when I see that the current market valuation is 100k, I ask questions. The domain itself has to be worth 500k to a million.

That is an interesting hypothetical. I would imagine that at this point the debt holders are really in control of the company, and the stock holders are way in the back of the bus.

Ned
May 23, 2002

by Hand Knit

Baddog posted:

That is an interesting hypothetical. I would imagine that at this point the debt holders are really in control of the company, and the stock holders are way in the back of the bus.

Salon used to be worth billions of dollars. I wouldn't be surprised if someone involved with the company early on sold some stock for a few hundred million back in the day and funds the company debt privately. I think the company itself is probably badly run, but they do have some interesting assets. That site shouldn't cost more than 2 million a year to run. 30 writers at 50k a pop working from home plus a couple management types can create a ridiculous amount of content.

ElehemEare
May 20, 2001

Thank god we've got EDGAR to investigate these baseless theories.

8-Q posted:

On May 15, 2009 Salon issued to another investor a convertible promissory interest note in exchange for loans with a principal amount of $38. The note bears an interest rate of 7.50 percent per annum, payable annually, in cash or in kind, and matures on March 31, 2012. The note issued on May 15, 2009 may convert at the election of the holder at any time into a number of shares of Salon’s common stock equal to the aggregate amount of the note obligations divided by $1.45.
You know you're on solid financial footing when you issue $38 convertible notes on multiple occasions. Not to mention the vacuous black-hole of operating expenses overwhelming any and all revenue.

There are also 9,467 preferred shares on issue, valued at 10,088,512 common-equivalent shares ($605,300).

Cheesemaster200
Feb 11, 2004

Guard of the Citadel
Whats everyone's opinion on PFE? They have been getting beat up due to some failures with cancer drugs, but they have a nice dividend and a lot of people are saying they are oversold.

LactoseO.D.'d
Jun 3, 2002

Cheesemaster200 posted:

Whats everyone's opinion on PFE? They have been getting beat up due to some failures with cancer drugs, but they have a nice dividend and a lot of people are saying they are oversold.

Not sure about PFE, but I have been looking at LLY. They've also been getting really beat up and have a better dividend yield. They haven't been able to pack their pipeline with any really lucrative products since the Prozac years, I suspect something similar is the case for PFE. I'd check PFE's pipeline before pulling the trigger.

On a related note I'm looking at grabbing a dividend ETF for my Roth and writing some calls against it. I'm having a terrible time finding a good one. Some of these have expense ratios they just don't deserve. Anyone have any suggestions?

Plastic Jesus
Aug 26, 2006

LactoseO.D.'d posted:

On a related note I'm looking at grabbing a dividend ETF for my Roth and writing some calls against it. I'm having a terrible time finding a good one. Some of these have expense ratios they just don't deserve. Anyone have any suggestions?

Is there any reason you're looking for an ETF rather than just high-yield stocks? Particularly if you want do buy-writes, VZ and DUK are good, easy and cheap candidates.

You're LactoseO.D. so I'm confident you understand dividend risk associated with selling calls. But everyone else reading this post really needs to understand dividend risk associated with selling calls.

LactoseO.D.'d
Jun 3, 2002
I'm looking at an ETF to diversify away some of the event risk/volatility of the position. It also would save a bit on transaction costs to have one dividend ETF, rather than 10-15 dividend paying holdings, especially in the event things start getting called away and I have to repurchase holdings.

I haven't tested it, but I also anticipate the dividend risk of selling calls to be lower on an ETF than a given stock.

Might just grab XLU...

Cheesemaster200
Feb 11, 2004

Guard of the Citadel
hooray GE!

Plastic Jesus
Aug 26, 2006

Thought very hard about selling SPX Iron Condors ahead of the FOMC announcement, decided against it in case the discount window rate gets bumped another 25bp and the market gets spooked. May revisit the trade after 14:15.

Dr. Jackal
Sep 13, 2009

Cheesemaster200 posted:

hooray GE!

why? (I am on the hooray boat, but I want to know why)

maybe this?

quote:

General Electric expects to have around $25B in cash at the end of 2010, up from $8.7B in 2009, and plans to resume growing its dividend in 2011. The company sees opportunities for stock buybacks and strategic acquisitions as well. Comments were taken from conference presentation slides.

Dead Pressed
Nov 11, 2009
Well, decided to get out while the getting was good with AMD today. I bought 95 shares with some tax money at 7.50 a pop. Sold out at 9.30. Got 120% of my investment back. Pretty satisfied with myself.

I just put in a large order (for me, 215 shares) of C at $4. Hopefully that doesn't screw me. :3

Plastic Jesus
Aug 26, 2006

Markets do go down, right?

Don Wrigley
Jun 8, 2006

King O Frod

Markets do go down, right?

Yes, in fact they did for about a year and a half straight starting in late 2007. Short memories...

LactoseO.D.'d
Jun 3, 2002

Don Wrigley posted:

Yes, in fact they did for about a year and a half straight starting in late 2007. Short memories...

He was making a joke Don.

Dr. Jackal
Sep 13, 2009
haha GE broke 18.

Hobologist
May 4, 2007

Well, if it makes you feel better, I'm down today.

Nifty
Aug 31, 2004

Anybody have opinions on ge right now? Specifically,
buying ge right now?

Dr. Jackal
Sep 13, 2009

Nifty posted:

Anybody have opinions on ge right now? Specifically,
buying ge right now?

I hear the sentiment is long. (like 2011 long).

I would assume that it's a little bloated because of the news. I only jumped in to have it offset my questionable decision to buy CIM.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

xiNickix
Oct 31, 2007
:DS< Ascii Titles = Poverty Avatars
hey, I'm new at trading so this is probably a stupid question but... is it a terrible idea to buy put contracts on some high paying dividend stocks I have? I'm thinking the dividends would eventually cover the premium and then some anyways and the put would cover the stock tanking.