Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Leper Residue
Sep 28, 2003

To where no dog has gone before.
What's the deus ex restoration mod called that was actually really decent? If you didn't kill anyone your brother would reward you with a special blackjack?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

texting my ex
Nov 15, 2008

I am no one
I cannot squat
It's in my blood

Anonononomous posted:

Who wants to tell me how to play Stalker: Clear Sky? I didn't have trouble with the first one, but I can't even do the first mission in this one. There's absolutely no cover and enemies see through the reeds killing me. Plus the one time I managed to sneak up on some dudes I put two rounds of buckshot in a guy from 10 feet and then he turned around and killed me.

The difficulty curve is somewhat weird in this game. Swamps, the first area is very, very hard. The only usable weapon in this part of the game is the hunting shotgun, so keep it in good condition and upgrade when you can.

When you encounter bandits, don't try to snipe them. What I did was let them spot me from a distance, then hide and wait for them to approach. When they're close enough, pop out from cover and shoot them in the face. I even kept a few loaded shotguns on me, so I could keep firing without reloading.

Also, when you're done with the swamps, do yourself a favor and head north, not east, or you'll encounter that machine gun nest.

After that, the game becomes way easier, at least up until Limansk. gently caress that construction site and that loving hospital

edit: a few more.

In garbage, there's a scripted encounter where you lose all your equipment and cash. You can get the equipment back, but not the cash, so make sure you spend it.

Don't upgrade the IL-86. I made the mistake of blowing all my hard earned cash on that piece of poo poo. It may be accurate and really strong, but it jams ALL THE TIME. You won't fire half a clip without that piece of poo poo jamming.

texting my ex fucked around with this message at 10:46 on Mar 14, 2010

Sentient Toaster
May 7, 2007
Not the fork, Master!

Bluetooth human being posted:

What's the deus ex restoration mod called that was actually really decent? If you didn't kill anyone your brother would reward you with a special blackjack?
It's not Shifter, is it? I can't remember if that one added the blackjack.

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

al-azad posted:

Health packs and bandages are plentiful so you shouldn't be strapped for cash or equipment.
Are you joking?

quote:

Edit: I forgot, whenever someone asks for your help you should immediately drop whatever it was you're doing and run to that location as fast as you can. The rewards you get for helping people out trump anything you may find in a secret stash or someone's body.
Ah. Way to be subtle with your trolling.

Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

Sentient Toaster posted:

It's not Shifter, is it? I can't remember if that one added the blackjack.

Yes, it's Shifter, and it's very awesome.

Dr Snofeld
Apr 30, 2009

Xander77 posted:

No he's right with this one, at least for the Swamps area, where the only way to get one of the data disks for the Clear Sky mechanic is to help in one of the captures (I forget which one). If you miss your chance it's gone forever.

Other Clear Sky tips:

You can get a stash location for a pump-action shotgun (the Chaser or whatever it is) from one of the guys in the Clear Sky base. This is one of the best guns in the Swamp area for killing mutants, though the hunting shotgun with darts is better for killing bandits from range.

For fighting humans, in the Swamp I generally stick with a fully-modded MP5 until I get an AK74 or one of those M4-like things in Cordon or Garbage.

You get free Clear Sky armour if you participate in the raid on the north-eastern bandit base in the Swamps. By participate I mean kill at least one guy.

Never upgrade a shotgun with the threaded barrel - whatever accuracy boost you get is not worth losing the ability to use buckshot.

Bluetooth human being posted:

That's Shifter. The blackjack in question is really really good, actually, able to KO normal human enemies with one hit to the base of the spine.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Xander77 posted:

Are you joking?

Basic first aid kits cost 300 bucks, nearly every human enemy has one on them, helping out with a capture or defense gives you a few, most of the delivery quests include first aid kits as your reward, they're in almost every hidden stash, and early game gun/armor upgrades are so cheap that it shouldn't even be possible to leave the swamp and cordon without fully upgrading your primary weapon, secondary weapon, and armor. Even the weakest artifacts give you a butt ton of rubels compared to SoC. The jellyfish artifact you get in the tutorial mission can be sold for 1500 rubels right from the start.

Xander77 posted:

If you actually did the capture/defend missions you probably wouldn't have missed out on the cs-3a armor (which is leagues beyond a fully upgraded leather jacket) and about half a dozen anti-rad, first aid kits, bandages, and rubels. You get 3,000 rubels simply for capturing the last exit point. I must be trolling about that poo poo.

Dr Snofeld posted:

]You can get a stash location for a pump-action shotgun (the Chaser or whatever it is) from one of the guys in the Clear Sky base. This is one of the best guns in the Swamp area for killing mutants, though the hunting shotgun with darts is better for killing bandits from range.

Cold the bartender. Keep talking to him until he offers a 1,500ru flash drive which has the coordinates. You can make that money instantly by selling the worthless jellyfish artifact you should have got when you're heading to the watchtower early game.

Another basic tip is to always search each particular area as there's a lot of hidden poo poo in the game. In case you [Anonononomous] didn't know, those little gray boxes you see everywhere are actually item storage crates which can be knifed open to reveal 4-6 small items like ammo or bandages. Each major area contains at least one giant supply crate (looks like a footlocker) which has a butt ton of ammo, first aid kits, and maybe a cool weapon. Moving off the common trails towards different landmarks will reveal new items as well. There's a scoped rifle near the train wreck in the swamp.

Leaving the swamp the game becomes a lot more fun but don't leave through the southern exit because you'll end up at the military base and some jackass will rip you to shreds. It's possible to escape without getting hit but it's easier to take the northern swamp exit and avoid all the stalkers to reach the newbie camp.

I also recommend this sleeping bag mod. You don't have to start a new game to use it.

Dr Snofeld
Apr 30, 2009

al-azad posted:

Leaving the swamp the game becomes a lot more fun but don't leave through the southern exit because you'll end up at the military base and some jackass will rip you to shreds. It's possible to escape without getting hit but it's easier to take the northern swamp exit and avoid all the stalkers to reach the newbie camp.

I've heard that the northern-most exit only opens after you take the southern one, in which case, take it, go back again and THEN go the north way.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Dr Snofeld posted:

I've heard that the northern-most exit only opens after you take the southern one, in which case, take it, go back again and THEN go the north way.

There's also a bunch of grenade loving bandits chilling there and sometimes they spawn an entire team near that truck above their former base. Not a fun fight early game.

Anonononomous
Jul 1, 2007

al-azad posted:

Cold the bartender. Keep talking to him until he offers a 1,500ru flash drive which has the coordinates. You can make that money instantly by selling the worthless jellyfish artifact you should have got when you're heading to the watchtower early game.

Here's a tutorial question, then, as it wasn't a very good tutorial, apparently. How do you throw bolts? I was told to do so, but didn't see a button in the menu. I also can't seem to bring up my detector outside of the CS base.

Dr Snofeld
Apr 30, 2009

Anonononomous posted:

Here's a tutorial question, then, as it wasn't a very good tutorial, apparently. How do you throw bolts? I was told to do so, but didn't see a button in the menu. I also can't seem to bring up my detector outside of the CS base.

6 equips bolts, O equips the detector, though you naturally can't use it with a two-handed weapon.

Largejaroalmonds
Sep 25, 2007
It doesn't seem like a terribly complicated game but are there any tips for Darksiders?

me your dad
Jul 25, 2006

I just bought Freespace 2 and I could use some starting help. I've only completed training and the first mission. I've installed Freespace 2 Open if that matters.

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

Fair enough, I might be wrong. If I am, then not only is my memory wrong about the scarcity of bandages and medkits, but so are most reviews I recall.

(If you qualify "drop everything and run every time someone calls" to the Swamps, I guess it might make sense. Certainly the most frustrating advice for the entire game though)

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Friends: Protected
World: Saved
Crablettes: Eaten

Chinaski posted:

I just bought Freespace 2 and I could use some starting help. I've only completed training and the first mission. I've installed Freespace 2 Open if that matters.

You're using mediavps with FSO? Otherwise you're missing out on how much prettier it could be.
Other than that, just dive right in unless you're having a more specific problem.
The only real tip I can give is that FS2 likes to have fights you're your allies are supposed to lose.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters

Largejaroalmonds posted:

It doesn't seem like a terribly complicated game but are there any tips for Darksiders?

Don't worry about getting every treasure chest immediately: later in the game (in one of the final dungeons), you can find an artifact that allows you to see every treasure chest on the map.

There is one (or maybe two) treasure chests that can be missed, but these only contain souls and aren't required for anything. They'll still show up on the map though, so you might want to look up which ones they are (I forget the location(s)).

The fist and scythe aren't as useless as you might think. The scythe in particular is good for large groups of small enemies, and the fist can juggle things like crazy when you use the right abilities.

Don't bother upgrading the sword. Later in the game you get a better sword, and it comes fully upgraded.

Every time that the Watcher speaks, imagine that the Joker (of Batman fame) is following you around.

GuavaMoment
Aug 13, 2006

YouTube dude

Chinaski posted:

Be sure to find all the mods to make the game shiny. And for the love of all that is holy do not use a mouse, get a joystick.

graventy
Jul 28, 2006

Fun Shoe
Finally got around to playing Castle Crashers. Any tips for it?

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
The two Shadowgrounds might be a closer view to the ground version of Alien Shooter, but is it something that needs advice?

bbcisdabomb
Jan 15, 2008

SHEESH

Scalding Coffee posted:

The two Shadowgrounds might be a closer view to the ground version of Alien Shooter, but is it something that needs advice?

I've only played Survivor, but the best advice is to grab two gamepads and play with a friend. The game isn't good enough to warrant playing by yourself, but is well worth playing coop.

Sentient Toaster
May 7, 2007
Not the fork, Master!

Scalding Coffee posted:

You might want to turn off rotation and mouse spring. Those gave me an idea of what it's like to have motion sickness. You can set a couple keys to manually rotate the view if something is in your way. Now for several very short points!

Rolling is really useful and faster than running. You can switch to another weapon and use it while the first is loading. Get the damage and reload mods for the pistol and it'll take out just about anything. The tranquilizer generally sucks. The assault rifle taser is awesome against bigger things. Whatever the pistol and assault rifle won't kill easily, the cluster grenade launcher will make short work of.

I haven't finished the second one yet, but don't get too OCD over trying to stock up on medkits. Every single level seems to have loads of harmless bullshit which spawns behind you specifically to deal ONE damage, preventing you from saving the next medkit you pick up.

Wang
Apr 10, 2003

dance dance ferret revolution

Fallout 3
Avoid getting the instant level perk, if you're doing the side quests you'll get a ton of xp and reach the level cap way before you finish the main quest so use the perk for something more fun.

graventy
Jul 28, 2006

Fun Shoe

Wang posted:

Fallout 3
Avoid getting the instant level perk, if you're doing the side quests you'll get a ton of xp and reach the level cap way before you finish the main quest so use the perk for something more fun.

If you're playing on a console and care about achievements/trophies, just cheat to get the good/neutral/evil level-based ones. (Save before you level, kill some people/make some donations, level as normal. I kept my scrap metal for the instant XP.) Fallout 3 has a LOT of content and by the time you completely explore it you'll probably be a bit over-exposed to the game.

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Say, do you know how to do the walk?
Anything I should know for Assassin's Creed II? I picked it up at the Best Buy sale.

Draile
May 6, 2004

forlorn llama

graventy posted:

Finally got around to playing Castle Crashers. Any tips for it?

Buy health potions and use them liberally. Money is a non-factor at any time except the very beginning of the game, and you can always run bosses for cash if necessary.

Weapons don't make a huge impact on your character so don't fret over which you choose. I generally take the one within my level range with the highest overall bonus to stats.

Unless you're designing an archer, speed is the least important of your stats. A few points is all you need.

Some characters have more powerful magic than others. Don't invest in magic for characters with crappy spells (like the bandit). Do invest in magic for characters with awesome spells (red knight's lightning stun-lock).

The familiar that increases your experience gain is probably the most useful overall.

If you are very quick you can claim the final boss's weapon after you kill him.

Brinstar Brew
Aug 8, 2007

Who's the guy in the Victorian diving apparatus?

blackguy32 posted:

Anything I should know for Assassin's Creed II? I picked it up at the Best Buy sale.

Use all your money upgrading the villa early on if you want to get rich

Taerkar
Dec 7, 2002

kind of into it, really

al-azad posted:

Basic first aid kits cost 300 bucks, nearly every human enemy has one on them, helping out with a capture or defense gives you a few, most of the delivery quests include first aid kits as your reward, they're in almost every hidden stash, and early game gun/armor upgrades are so cheap that it shouldn't even be possible to leave the swamp and cordon without fully upgrading your primary weapon, secondary weapon, and armor. Even the weakest artifacts give you a butt ton of rubels compared to SoC. The jellyfish artifact you get in the tutorial mission can be sold for 1500 rubels right from the start.

To add into this, a good source of money is actually the food. The bartenders in each faction camp buy them for the full price.

Priapus01
Oct 22, 2008
Anything for Final Fantasy XIII? I'm normally fine with these games but this one is kicking my rear end. Breaking/cheesing the game is fine by me.

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Deus Ex. Just started playing, found out that I'm not patient enough for actual sneaking, but the beginning of the game discourages active ramboing, so I mostly take out guys one at a time with sniping and the crossbow.

Anyways, what's the right level-up / augmentation plan for this kind of character?

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Friends: Protected
World: Saved
Crablettes: Eaten
Rifles, Pistols, hacking to whatever level lets you control gun turrets.

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

That's the initial configuration? Yeah, that's basically what I went with. Controlling turrets is kinda useful, the starting weapons on "trained" are still ludicrously inaccurate...

Anyways, what do I go with next?

Madmarker
Jan 7, 2007

Priapus01 posted:

Anything for Final Fantasy XIII? I'm normally fine with these games but this one is kicking my rear end. Breaking/cheesing the game is fine by me.

Honestly ffxiii is a game of trial and error. Random encounters, for the most part, can be easily ran through with commando/ravager/ravager. Boss fights are more like puzzles then anything else, this is really evident in the eidolon fights. A good idea is to libra a boss so you and your characters know its weakness and then exploit it. Also sabatour and synergist are both really helpful in tougher fights. And don't be afraid of using shrouds, if for some reason a particular boss/encounter just wont go down no matter how many times you try just toss on a nice shroud like fortisol and watch them crumble.

Jolo
Jun 4, 2007

ive been playing with magnuts tying to change the wold as we know it

Morpheus posted:

Don't bother upgrading the sword. Later in the game you get a better sword, and it comes fully upgraded.

This is all good advice except I disagree with this. You get a better sword at the very very end of the game. If I remember correctly, you get it and then the final boss fight is available to you.

Therefore, I would say that if you dig the sword, upgrade it and use it throughout the game. I used it and don't regret it even though you do get a better one just before the ending.

Sentient Toaster
May 7, 2007
Not the fork, Master!

Xander77 posted:

That's the initial configuration? Yeah, that's basically what I went with. Controlling turrets is kinda useful, the starting weapons on "trained" are still ludicrously inaccurate...

Anyways, what do I go with next?
It's been way too long for me, but I think I remember a laser sight mod in a bunker-like room in the area around the statue. Something about that and a bug that causes it to make the pistol perfectly accurate. Or was that the scope mod? That and pistol training to up the damage will give you a useful tool against all kinds of junk.

As for augs, it's hard to go wrong with power recirculator, regen and aggressive defense. It's a shame I don't remember more about it.

Ted Stevens
Jun 2, 2007

by T. Finn

Sentient Toaster posted:

It's been way too long for me, but I think I remember a laser sight mod in a bunker-like room in the area around the statue. Something about that and a bug that causes it to make the pistol perfectly accurate. Or was that the scope mod? That and pistol training to up the damage will give you a useful tool against all kinds of junk.

As for augs, it's hard to go wrong with power recirculator, regen and aggressive defense. It's a shame I don't remember more about it.

I loved me the pistol in that game. I used it even at the last part of the game. I never bothered with the stealth pistol.

Yeah, if you keep walking to the right, there's a bunker place that has a laser sight. It's right next to a place where a mercenary and 2 guards talk by a park bench. There will be a guard patrolling the outside and another inside. To get the laser sight, you have to use a multitool to deactivate the electric field.

My skill set was always: lockpick, pistols, and hacking. I use those skills non-stop throughout the game.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Xander77 posted:

Deus Ex. Just started playing, found out that I'm not patient enough for actual sneaking, but the beginning of the game discourages active ramboing, so I mostly take out guys one at a time with sniping and the crossbow.

Anyways, what's the right level-up / augmentation plan for this kind of character?

Get rifles to level 3 as soon as you can. It's expensive, but at level 3 you can literally destroy cameras and turrets with one shot from your sniper rifle IIRC.

I'm guessing you're only about 30 minutes in the game and I suggest starting over and choosing the GEP gun. There's one or two dudes in that level who carry a sniper rifle with ammo and and you'll get sick of crossbows after a while but GEP guns are rare throughout the game.

KingShiro
Jan 10, 2008

EH?!?!?!

blackguy32 posted:

Collect all the codex pages when they become available, otherwise you'll have to go back and get them for advance the story later on.

Some buildings/landmarks have "glyphs" on them. If you don't get them after passing the place a couple times, you'll stop getting the pop-up that will tell you it's there.

Go here if you get stuck on glyph puzzles, or want to get all the feathers.
http://www.msxbox-world.com/features/Assassins-Creed-II/

Voodoofly
Jul 3, 2002

Some days even my lucky rocket ship underpants don't help

Roller Coaster Tycoon III? I played the hell out of the first ones way back, and after seeing some of the videos in the rear end in a top hat thread I decided I needed to kill more park guests.

Anything specific I should know about the Third, especially along the lines of "stuff you understood in the first games that won't work" or "this wasn't in the first ones, important now" sort of thing.

I'd normally say I wanted to discover all of this on my own, but I doubt I'll play the scenarios - I just want to kill people in the sandbox mode and make cool parks.

A Real Happy Camper
Dec 11, 2007

These children have taught me how to believe.

al-azad posted:

Get rifles to level 3 as soon as you can. It's expensive, but at level 3 you can literally destroy cameras and turrets with one shot from your sniper rifle IIRC.

I'm guessing you're only about 30 minutes in the game and I suggest starting over and choosing the GEP gun. There's one or two dudes in that level who carry a sniper rifle with ammo and and you'll get sick of crossbows after a while but GEP guns are rare throughout the game.

For the love of god make sure you get the GEP gun. There are dudes with crossbows wandering around, but you won't find a GEP gun until after you really need one for the first time.

Also about deus ex: I just finished the underwater base how much longer do I have to go? Also, is there a way to deal with Gunther and Anna without fighting them? I'm going to do another run after I finish, and I'd like to make it a little easier on myself.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Supreme Court
Feb 25, 2010

Pirate World: Nearly done!

al-azad posted:

Only do this if you really want a rocket launcher, I always found Liberty Island got a bit dull.

Top level rifles will also let you shoot alarm panels and headshot Agents, which makes you a sniping god.

Get the speed aug for your legs and upgrade it; being able to jump anywhere opens up massive options and makes the game much more fun :D

^^ underwater base is pretty drat near the end. You can avoid killing Anne Navarre on the plane, but I think you're forced to kill her and Gunther at some point. To make it much easier, you can grab their kill phrases.

The Supreme Court fucked around with this message at 21:21 on Mar 15, 2010