Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

hogswallower
May 8, 2005

Precious Pig Bits
I keep thinking it's Nox that just came on sale when I glance past the title and then I am sad because I never got to play that game more than a few hours and would like to give it another shot.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Truspeaker
Jan 28, 2009

I just want to say that AquaNox is amazing and really fun (as of the first mission) and holy crap is it pretty. Cannot believe it came out in 2001.

It works really well with my joystick too, which is great. Just had to set the sensitivity down to 20, because 30 was unplayable.

Osmosisch
Sep 9, 2007

I shall make everyone look like me! Then when they trick each other, they will say "oh that Coyote, he is the smartest one, he can even trick the great Coyote."

Grimey Drawer

hogswallower posted:

I keep thinking it's Nox that just came on sale when I glance past the title and then I am sad because I never got to play that game more than a few hours and would like to give it another shot.

Oh man, Nox was amazing. Some of the best multiplayer on the PC at the time, to me at least. So many ways to dick with people with creative use of spell bombs.

Devil Wears Wings
Jul 17, 2006

Look ye upon the wages of diet soda and weep, for it is society's fault.

Osmosisch posted:

Oh man, Nox was amazing. Some of the best multiplayer on the PC at the time, to me at least. So many ways to dick with people with creative use of spell bombs.

Hell yeah. It really makes me wish that someone else would come out with a top-down multiplayer Diablo=style game with FPS-style gameplay modes like deathmatch and CTF.

Essobie
Jan 31, 2003

WHAT? THIS IS MY REGULAR SPEAKING VOICE.
Is this better?

Truspeaker posted:

I just want to say that AquaNox is amazing and really fun (as of the first mission) and holy crap is it pretty. Cannot believe it came out in 2001.

It works really well with my joystick too, which is great. Just had to set the sensitivity down to 20, because 30 was unplayable.

What stick are you using? I'm thinking of picking this up but I've read a few forum posts from googling about the game that said the joystick support is a bit flakey (i.e. they had to reassign axises between missions and the like).

I refuse to play a game like this with a mouse. :colbert:

Truspeaker
Jan 28, 2009

Essobie posted:

What stick are you using? I'm thinking of picking this up but I've read a few forum posts from googling about the game that said the joystick support is a bit flakey (i.e. they had to reassign axises between missions and the like).

I refuse to play a game like this with a mouse. :colbert:

Logitech Attack 3. Stupid name, but it was $20 on amazon, and its not bad for the price.

Oh look a link:

http://www.amazon.com/Logitech-963291-0403-Attack-3-Joystick/dp/B0000ALFC5/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1268281451&sr=8-1

I am with you on the mouse thing. There is no reason a mouse wouldn't work well, but joysticks are just more fun.

Athletic Footjob
Sep 24, 2005
Grimey Drawer
Gabriel Knight 3 is now on GOG for $5.99.

Threep
Apr 1, 2006

It's kind of a long story.

Blodskur posted:

One of my favorite adventure games despite the infamous cat mustache puzzle. The story is anything but original but I love the atmosphere. Also it's got one of the best video game soundtracks ever.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BUSSa8aHAMk

Zat
Jan 16, 2008

Blodskur posted:

Holy poo poo. Everyone just buy this, especially if you loved the earlier ones. I dunno, this is sometimes my favourite part of the series. Awesome story once again.

null_user01013
Nov 13, 2000

Drink up comrades

Threep posted:

One of my favorite adventure games despite the infamous cat mustache puzzle. The story is anything but original but I love the atmosphere. Also it's got one of the best video game soundtracks ever.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BUSSa8aHAMk

I don't know, that puzzle is SO horribly bad and retarded the mere fact it exists in that game has to mean that game is poo poo.

Zat
Jan 16, 2008

AxeManiac posted:

I don't know, that puzzle is SO horribly bad and retarded the mere fact it exists in that game has to mean that game is poo poo.
However, the game is great. I didn't even think the puzzle was too bad when I first played it, the thought struck me afterwards. It really is one of worst if not the worst puzzle in the history of adventure games but the game contains some of the best ones as well, in my opinion. Just like its predecessors, it's a really well written mystery and most of the puzzles are logical and good, and you feel good when you figure them out.

Also it's worth repeating, the soundtrack is loving perfect. Even the abandoned and replaced theme (called "Old Theme" as some mp3) is awesomeness. *The actual main theme works better though.

Zat fucked around with this message at 22:02 on Mar 11, 2010

al-azad
May 28, 2009

I will never forgive Gabriel Knight's appearance change from a gaunt, raggedy, sullen-eyed badass to a fat Motley Crue reject in the second game. Still, Tim Curry saves the day every day. He could have played Gabriel Knight's role in the second game, even.

theBeaz
Jul 11, 2006

Speaking of Gabriel Knight, I have a question regarding the first one, day one, the "clock puzzle".

Spoilersssss!

So I got stuck after visiting EVERYWHERE and not having a clue where to go next. I finally decided to check a walkthrough and it told me to go back into Grandma's attic, change the clock to 3:00, align the dragon with the top, and turn the key. What walkthroughs never explain is... how exactly was I supposed to figure this out? I HATE using walkthroughs, so can someone explain to me exactly where I would have pieced this together? It makes me not even want to play the game if I can't figure out one of the first puzzles...

Thanks in advance.

Crow T Bard
Nov 6, 2009

theBeaz posted:

Speaking of Gabriel Knight, I have a question regarding the first one, day one, the "clock puzzle".

Spoilersssss!

So I got stuck after visiting EVERYWHERE and not having a clue where to go next. I finally decided to check a walkthrough and it told me to go back into Grandma's attic, change the clock to 3:00, align the dragon with the top, and turn the key. What walkthroughs never explain is... how exactly was I supposed to figure this out? I HATE using walkthroughs, so can someone explain to me exactly where I would have pieced this together? It makes me not even want to play the game if I can't figure out one of the first puzzles...

Thanks in advance.

In Gabriel's book store, there is a book on one of the shelves full of German poety. The title of the poem he read is "Drei Drachen" or three dragons in english which you find out from a german to english book nearby. Yeah, this puzzle is pretty unfair.

theBeaz
Jul 11, 2006

Wow. I found that "clue" on my own and would have never pieced it together.

Oh adventure games... :eng99:

tankadillo
Aug 15, 2006

AxeManiac posted:

I've made so many jokes about that puzzle but never actually played the game, I feel like I owe it to myself now.

Kikkoman
Nov 28, 2002

Posing along since 2005

theBeaz posted:

Wow. I found that "clue" on my own and would have never pieced it together.

Oh adventure games... :eng99:

Yeah when I first discovered the German to English dictionary, I thought it was just for flavor :downs:

Zat
Jan 16, 2008

Crow T Bard posted:

In Gabriel's book store, there is a book on one of the shelves full of German poety. The title of the poem he read is "Drei Drachen" or three dragons in english which you find out from a german to english book nearby. Yeah, this puzzle is pretty unfair.
Also you have the grandpa's painting of three snakes in the shop, and another book on the shelf tells you that snakes and dragons are basically the same thing, so there you got another clue.

cool new Metroid game
Oct 7, 2009

hail satan

http://www.gog.com/en/promo/ufo

UFO: Aftermath and UFO: Aftershock on sale. 50% off when you buy both and 30% off if you're buying just the one.

I'm a huge X-Com fan so I'm tempted to get them but also I hear that they are pretty poo poo compared to the classics so I'm not sure. But hey it's less than :10bux:

Mr.Hotkeys
Dec 27, 2008

you're just thinking too much

Megadyptes posted:

UFO: Aftermath and UFO: Aftershock on sale. 50% off when you buy both and 30% off if you're buying just the one.

I'm a huge X-Com fan so I'm tempted to get them but also I hear that they are pretty poo poo compared to the classics so I'm not sure. But hey it's less than :10bux:

They are bad compared to the old ones but they're not that bad at all, at any rate they'll keep you occupied long enough that you'll get your money's worth.

ImpactVector
Feb 24, 2007

HAHAHAHA FOOLS!!
I AM SO SMART!

Uh oh. What did he do now?

Nap Ghost

Mr.Hotkeys posted:

They are bad compared to the old ones but they're not that bad at all, at any rate they'll keep you occupied long enough that you'll get your money's worth.
The main complaint I have about them is I'm always much more interested in teching up than going on missions. There are a few pre-scripted missions (recover a computer from area 51, etc) but for the most part they just boil down to "run around willy-nilly and shoot anything that moves".

Also, for the most part your dudes aren't in any real danger of dying unless you gently caress up or are at one of those awkward points in the tech tree where the aliens just got a new toy and you haven't researched it/its counter yet.

That being said I bought both back before GOG and bought them both again on GOG for the convenience factor even before the sale (and I have Afterlight on Steam) and don't really regret any of it.

im_sorry
Jan 15, 2006

(9999)
Ultra Carp

Megadyptes posted:

I bought Afterlight on Steam a few years back, and never could get into it. However, I'm kind of :downs: about having complete sets of games, so I'll probably buy it anyways.

Sylphosaurus
Sep 6, 2007
So, could anyone who's played Aquanox give me the lowdown on it. Is it a free roamer such as the Privateer games or is it a more linear experience such as Tie Fighter or Freespace 1&2?

Serious Michael
Oct 13, 2007

Is only joking.
I wanna try the Freespace games, but I'm really not looking for something that's full of ridiculous micromanaging and too much simulation, does either one provide me the ability to start the game and jump straight into doing things? Maybe not huge battles as soon as I start, but I don't want to have to worry about making sure my engines have enough power and that the electronics in my ship are getting the correct voltages and my pilot's seatbelt isn't too tight before I can do anything.

I enjoyed the combat in Freelancer, I understand it's very arcadey, but would I enjoy these?

(also why isn't Freelancer on GoG? Goddamn microsoft games.)

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

Freespace is probably far more arcadey. Power-management is confined to basics like deciding whether you need more speed or shields. It's mission-based, and after a short (skippable) tutorial you go right into combat. Make sure you try out the source-code project if you want to play a modernised version of the game: http://scp.indiegames.us/bnr_installer.php

(I think you only really need Freespace 2, and the SCP contains a mod which recreates Freespace 1)

Light-headed Fool
May 17, 2009

Where did my head go?

Serious Michael posted:

I wanna try the Freespace games, but I'm really not looking for something that's full of ridiculous micromanaging and too much simulation, does either one provide me the ability to start the game and jump straight into doing things? Maybe not huge battles as soon as I start, but I don't want to have to worry about making sure my engines have enough power and that the electronics in my ship are getting the correct voltages and my pilot's seatbelt isn't too tight before I can do anything.

I enjoyed the combat in Freelancer, I understand it's very arcadey, but would I enjoy these?

(also why isn't Freelancer on GoG? Goddamn microsoft games.)

No, it isn't a "simulation" in my opinion. It's a drat good game. Game, not simulation. There are some sliders you need to worry about (shields, engines, weapons), weapon loadouts, ship selection and targeting system (==what keys to press so you'll get the nearest enemy target, or nearest enemy targeting you, or nearest enemy bomber, etc.), but they are not complicated. I'd still recommend playing the tutorials, though. It gets you started. There is more depth in it than in Freelancer. But it still feels arcadey and fun. No Newtonian mechanics. It is all about awesome dodge fighting, protecting the convoys, spearheading into the enemy forces, countering bombers and bombing the gently caress off of those huge enemy destroyers / cruisers. With kickass missions. I've only played FS2 though, never got through setting the FS_open for FS1.

Swamp Zero
Dec 8, 2009

by elpintogrande

Light-headed Fool posted:

No, it isn't a "simulation" in my opinion. It's a drat good game. Game, not simulation. There are some sliders you need to worry about (shields, engines, weapons), weapon loadouts, ship selection and targeting system (==what keys to press so you'll get the nearest enemy target, or nearest enemy targeting you, or nearest enemy bomber, etc.), but they are not complicated. I'd still recommend playing the tutorials, though. It gets you started. There is more depth in it than in Freelancer. But it still feels arcadey and fun. No Newtonian mechanics. It is all about awesome dodge fighting, protecting the convoys, spearheading into the enemy forces, countering bombers and bombing the gently caress off of those huge enemy destroyers / cruisers. With kickass missions. I've only played FS2 though, never got through setting the FS_open for FS1.

If it was a simulation then you couldn't have the user pilot a fighter craft because their life expectancy is poo poo and he'd just die to variables outside his control all the god drat time.

Rebel Blob
Mar 1, 2008

Extinction for our time

Sylphosaurus posted:

So, could anyone who's played Aquanox give me the lowdown on it. Is it a free roamer such as the Privateer games or is it a more linear experience such as Tie Fighter or Freespace 1&2?
It is the linear, mission-based type with some optional missions you can opt for. Between missions you can talk to people in your current location, sometimes optional and sometimes mandatory, but you simply click their name out of a list, no exploring or anything. There isn't any free-roaming in the game.

Athletic Footjob
Sep 24, 2005
Grimey Drawer
Empire Earth 2: Gold Edition is now on GOG for $9.99.

ZakAce
May 15, 2007

GF
Is Empire Earth 2 any good? I think I heard somewhere that it was crap.

spiritual bypass
Feb 19, 2008

Grimey Drawer

ZakAce posted:

Is Empire Earth 2 any good? I think I heard somewhere that it was crap.

GOG users have rated it 4 stars, so it must be pretty good! :iamafag:

Threep
Apr 1, 2006

It's kind of a long story.
Empire Earth 3 is the one that's absolutely terrible, EE2 isn't amazing but it's decent enough.

tankadillo
Aug 15, 2006

rt4 posted:

GOG users have rated it 4 stars, so it must be pretty good! :iamafag:
I've always been disappointed in how GOG never gets any hilariously awful negative user reviews. Everyone on there loves every single game.

JazzFlight
Apr 29, 2006

Oooooooooooh!

raezr posted:

I've always been disappointed in how GOG never gets any hilariously awful negative user reviews. Everyone on there loves every single game.
Uh, duh, it's called GOOD Old Games, not BAD Old Games! :haw:

Slantedfloors
Apr 29, 2008

Wait, What?

Swamp Zero posted:

If it was a simulation then you couldn't have the user pilot a fighter craft because their life expectancy is poo poo and he'd just die to variables outside his control all the god drat time.

That sounds exactly like Freespace, actually.

sethsez
Jul 14, 2006

He's soooo dreamy...

raezr posted:

The fact that the Ishar collection has anything above a star is pretty good proof of this.

Honest Thief
Jan 11, 2009
hell, even VR Soccer has 4 stars, the UFO series seems to get some flak though

Overwined
Sep 22, 2008

Wine can of their wits the wise beguile,
Make the sage frolic, and the serious smile.
Now that you mention it, I've seen some of the sanest reviews of games on this site. Sure there are some rabid fanboyistic reviews, but I see a lot mostly positive reviews with a moderate and honest assessment of a game's negatives. I've also noticed that quite often, even if a reviewer calls a game "good but flawed" or "not perfect", they will still rate it 5 stars.

tankadillo
Aug 15, 2006

Overwined posted:

Now that you mention it, I've seen some of the sanest reviews of games on this site. Sure there are some rabid fanboyistic reviews, but I see a lot mostly positive reviews with a moderate and honest assessment of a game's negatives. I've also noticed that quite often, even if a reviewer calls a game "good but flawed" or "not perfect", they will still rate it 5 stars.
Well to be fair, a 5 star rating doesn't mean "perfect" it just means "really really good."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spatial
Nov 15, 2007

Slantedfloors posted:

That sounds exactly like Freespace, actually.
Hah, yeah. The higher difficulty levels are utterly brutal.