Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GaiusPubulius
Feb 1, 2010
Country/Provider: USA/AT&T
Contract status: About 3 months to go.
Phone Budget: $100
Plan : FamilyTalk Nation 550 Rollover & Unlimited Night/Weekend & Unlimited Mobile-To-Mobile Minutes. I paid for three lines for $75. I hardy ever talk on the phone. I still got 2500 rollover minutes.

Features: My Sony Ericsson W580i is dying. I only have 3 more months to go on my contract. I don't want to sign up for another 2 years contract. I need a temporary phone.

I want good call clarity.
I want good battery life.
I want a slider if I can.
I want it to be same size as Ericsson W580i(if I can.......)
I want the internal antenna

I don't care about camera.
I don't care about cool looking.
I don't care about color screen.
I don't care about text message capability
I don't care about external speaker
I don't care about mp3
I don't care about bluetooth
I don't care other bells and whistles

Basically I just need a cheap basic cellphone that I could tolerate for few months.

Thanks in advance for any recommendation!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Azathoth
Apr 3, 2001

Country/Provider: USA/Sprint

Current contract status: Way out of contract

Budget (phone/plan): I'd like the phone to cost $100 or less on a two year upgrade.

Features I know I want: All I want to do with my phone is call and send the occasional text. I care about having good call quality and long battery life. That's it. I couldn't care less about having web browsing or apps or anything of that sort.

Also, I was in a store and saw the Samsung Reclaim, which I thought looked pretty neat, can anyone give me an opinion on that phone too?

SamDabbers
May 26, 2003

Azathoth posted:

Country/Provider: USA/Sprint

Current contract status: Way out of contract

Budget (phone/plan): I'd like the phone to cost $100 or less on a two year upgrade.

Features I know I want: All I want to do with my phone is call and send the occasional text. I care about having good call quality and long battery life. That's it. I couldn't care less about having web browsing or apps or anything of that sort.

Also, I was in a store and saw the Samsung Reclaim, which I thought looked pretty neat, can anyone give me an opinion on that phone too?

The Reclaim is a capable feature phone. I found the call quality to be excellent and the battery lasted 2-3 days with my typical usage. It's great for texting, though you may want to try out the Lotus (original, not necessarily Touch) to compare keyboards and form factors. Either of those would be a good choice, since they're both free with a 2 year contract.

Doug
Feb 27, 2006

This station is
non-operational.
Country/Provider: USA/ Sprint

Current contract status: Out of contract

Budget (phone/plan): I'd be willing to go for ~$200 on a two-year contract

Features I know I want: I want a smartphone with good battery life. My Touch Pro doesn't have the best battery life and never really has.

I've got SERO on Sprint and can keep that if I want. However, work only pays $40/mo and won't pay overages at all. They have an account with AT&T where the whole thing gets paid for including overages. However, it seems the only option on AT&T is an iPhone. Reading the latest news about Apple pulling apps and just generally being crazy on app approval, I'm not sure if this is the path I want to travel down. The other option would be to stay with Sprint and get the HTC Hero. Feature wise it seems like they're pretty similar, but I read an article the other day on Slashdot that said there are looming problems for the Android platform due to how much it differs between phone manufacturers.

tl;dr- Should I get an iPhone or an HTC Hero? Both options are viable.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

Doug posted:

Country/Provider: USA/ Sprint

Budget (phone/plan): I'd be willing to go for ~$200 on a two-year contract

Features I know I want: I want a smartphone with good battery life. My Touch Pro doesn't have the best battery life and never really has.

I've got SERO on Sprint and can keep that if I want. However, work only pays $40/mo and won't pay overages at all. They have an account with AT&T where the whole thing gets paid for including overages. However, it seems the only option on AT&T is an iPhone. Reading the latest news about Apple pulling apps and just generally being crazy on app approval, I'm not sure if this is the path I want to travel down. The other option would be to stay with Sprint and get the HTC Hero. Feature wise it seems like they're pretty similar, but I read an article the other day on Slashdot that said there are looming problems for the Android platform due to how much it differs between phone manufacturers.

tl;dr- Should I get an iPhone or an HTC Hero? Both options are viable.

Monthly price seems to be the biggest difference between Sprint and AT&T, coverage on both are pretty good unless you have AT&T in San Francisco, really just depends on where you are.

It just depends on if you want to go with an open platform or closed. Both should have good support for the foreseeable future, and Android is more chaotic on WHEN your phone gets an update, but phones will eventually get them (IE the Hero should soon see a software upgrade from 1.5 to 2.1). I would also check to compare hardware, i think the iPhone 3GS has better hardware than the Hero.

Doug
Feb 27, 2006

This station is
non-operational.

Duckman2008 posted:

Monthly price seems to be the biggest difference between Sprint and AT&T, coverage on both are pretty good unless you have AT&T in San Francisco, really just depends on where you are.

It just depends on if you want to go with an open platform or closed. Both should have good support for the foreseeable future, and Android is more chaotic on WHEN your phone gets an update, but phones will eventually get them (IE the Hero should soon see a software upgrade from 1.5 to 2.1). I would also check to compare hardware, i think the iPhone 3GS has better hardware than the Hero.

I'm really not concerned with monthly price. If I go with Sprint I'll have SERO and get $40/mo from the company to pay the bill. However, if I have any overage minutes, I have to pay that out of my pocket. If I go with AT&T, the company pays the entire bill regardless.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Doug posted:

I'm really not concerned with monthly price. If I go with Sprint I'll have SERO and get $40/mo from the company to pay the bill. However, if I have any overage minutes, I have to pay that out of my pocket. If I go with AT&T, the company pays the entire bill regardless.

You can't have an Android phone on SERO, Sprint will have you move to EPRP. Check the Sprint thread to see the differences:

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3207622

Hung Yuri
Aug 29, 2007

by Tiny Fistpump
Currently I live in boston, USA (02120) and I have a 2 year contract with verizon that gives up in october this year. Currently, I pay $50 a month for 450min+250 texting. I hardly use it, when I was out of state i used it all the time to contact my girlfriend, mostly texting moreso than calling. Generally I use up at most 50 minutes a month for talking, and 150 texts a month is average.

I don't call out of state much if ever, only really to contact my dad in maine or call my cousin in california.I used to have a Dare, but that got stolen when I was working in retail so I'm using my girlfriend's old phone. I don't like it.

I don't like verizon, they're nice but it's expensive for what little I use it for.

What I'm looking for:

Touch phone w/ qwerty keyboard or something with a decent screen. I can deal with no touch screen if it has a qwerty keyboard. I don't want very many minutes but I would love texting. I don't want to get charged for long distance calls, but I don't want to pay for a data plan. I want to pay less than what I'm paying now per month.

I know they don't work like this but I'd love like 100 minutes and maybe 300+ texts. I would like to be able to do twitter from my phone or maybe IMing or checking my email quickly when I'm away. I don't have to have mp3 playing ability but it'd be nice I guess. I don't care if the phone is used, I don't want to pay more than $200 for the plan, maybe $100 tops after rebate. I could justify this price because my dad could pay half and I pay half then I get the rebate. Droid and iPhone both are pretty sweet and have features I enjoy but may be a little expensive for my blood since I don't want to pay $30 on top of $50 a month just to use maybe 5 megabytes of data a month tops. I just don't see the point in browsing the web on a tiny screen. If I wanted to do that i'd get on my computer. Oh, and I would like it to have a camera.

My dad suggested putting me on his US Cellular plan, but I would prefer to have something independent from him like I have the past two years (we're not rich).

Am I dreaming the impossible dream?

Hung Yuri fucked around with this message at 22:51 on Mar 8, 2010

-Blackadder-
Jan 2, 2007

Game....Blouses.
What do you guys think of this?

Prepaid Cell Phone Plan Test

I went through it a couple of times and some of the results I got seemed a lot cheaper than what I'm paying now.

Anyone tried any of these plans or know any other tests like this one?

EvilCrayon
Dec 30, 2007
I have had t-mobile for a good 16 months now and apparently qualify for a free upgrade. I have a budget of ~$200 and have always liked my old G1. I had sold it before and downgraded to a Nokia 2610.

I've looked into the Nexus One and the HTC HD2 just for kicks and I can get the HD2 for $299 if I'm willing to wait til it's release middle of this month...

I really like the Android Interface but the HTC's UI is incredible so I'm very inclined to pick it up. However, does anybody know if Windows Mobile 7 will work with the HD2?

Subhu Man
Mar 20, 2004

When stalking tigers it's positively anaerobic to anticipate failiure.
(HBT; Outtakes, 5:32)
Help me choose a handset, please.
I have a £500+ budget, am based in the UK, and have the following requirements.

Must haves

1) Pre loadable maps with GPS. This is a deal breaker, and it seems that it pretty much leaves me with Nokia. Reasoning is that I spend a lot of time navigating when abroad, and I'll be bugered if I will pay roaming data charges just to look at a city map of Vancouver.

2) Large screen that is good under sunlight. When navigating I am usually in the med and in the sun, I don't need to be buggering about trying to shade the thing.

3) Good camera with good flash. I tend to take more photos at night

4) Good memory potential. For the maps, and lots of music.

5) Youtube

Really want

1) Online video streaming for sites other than youtube. I get bored, OK?

Would be nice's

1) Navigation. I care more to see where I am than where I am headed

2) Voice control/voice reader/funky voice goodness. I want to get it to say 'I can't do that Dave'

3) Capacitative touchscreen

4) Android OS with pinch Zooming

5) Compass

6) Wide range of music/video support

Pretty much the only big thing I spend money on is phones. :shrug:

Godzilla07
Oct 4, 2008

EvilCrayon posted:

I have had t-mobile for a good 16 months now and apparently qualify for a free upgrade. I have a budget of ~$200 and have always liked my old G1. I had sold it before and downgraded to a Nokia 2610.

I've looked into the Nexus One and the HTC HD2 just for kicks and I can get the HD2 for $299 if I'm willing to wait til it's release middle of this month...

I really like the Android Interface but the HTC's UI is incredible so I'm very inclined to pick it up. However, does anybody know if Windows Mobile 7 will work with the HD2?

Get the Nexus One. It's a far superior device with a modern OS while the HD2 is excellent, but mostly a great hardware device with HTC's wonderful hackjob. Once you get past Sense, it's the old awful Windows Mobile beneath. Buy the HD2 and sell it on eBay for $550. This will leave you some money to make the cost of the N1 less expensive.

WP7 is still very doubtful on the HD2, but I remember reading that MS won't let it happen since WP7 devices must meet MS's comparatively strict hardware requirements. So just buy the HD2, resell it and then buy an unlocked N1.

EvilCrayon
Dec 30, 2007
I'm pretty open to a new OS since I barely tapped into the G1's full potential. Mainly using it for it's instant Gmail feature and the fact that it could sync contacts with my Gmail account as well.

I can't see much of a difference between a MyTouch 3G and the N1 which is why I'm kind of wary. The HD2 seems like it'd be almost too cumbersome and will it sync up with my contacts in Gmail or will I have to manually do everything?

and could the HD2 ever run Android...?

EvilCrayon fucked around with this message at 23:26 on Mar 10, 2010

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

EvilCrayon posted:

I'm pretty open to a new OS since I barely tapped into the G1's full potential. Mainly using it for it's instant Gmail feature and the fact that it could sync contacts with my Gmail account as well.

I can't see much of a difference between a MyTouch 3G and the N1 which is why I'm kind of wary. The HD2 seems like it'd be almost too cumbersome and will it sync up with my contacts in Gmail or will I have to manually do everything?

and could the HD2 ever run Android...?

Huge difference between the MyTouch 3G and the N1. They look they same, I guess, but the N1 runs a 1GHZ Snapdragon processor, twice the screen resolution, better color, larger display, Android 2.1, and more. I don't think I have seen another current TMo Android phone come close.

And they have apparently been putting Android on most WinMo phones, but it is all unofficial, hacker type stuff. If you are not comfortable with modding your phone, then pretty much no Android for the HD2. And even with it there, it probably won't function quite as well as a made for android phone.

With Win7 Phone coming soon, now is the worst time to buy Windows Mobile.

EvilCrayon
Dec 30, 2007
Well I just tried to upgrade to a Nexus One and I guess I'm not eligible for the upgrade because I'm on a corporate plan.

HD2 it is then I guess. It does everything I need it to.

Tai-Pan
Feb 10, 2001
I am looking for phone with a big screen and a physical keyboard. Because I loving HATE touch keyboards. Also, I am pretty set on Android, but I could be convinced otherwise.

What I really want is an N1 with a keyboard....

I am going to be on a Tmobile family plan so none that kills a bunch of the good motorola CDMA choices.

So that leaves me with what, exactly? Just the Motorola Cliq? Is there some option I am missing.

Tai-Pan fucked around with this message at 09:45 on Mar 11, 2010

HondaCivet
Oct 16, 2005

And then it falls
And then I fall
And then I know

After being hosed by US Cellular several times in several ways, my boyfriend canceled his plan completely. He's pretty tired of dealing with the stupid contract-based companies so we were looking for a good prepaid service. He mostly just wants minutes and text but any bonus stuff like prepaid Internet would be nice too. We just want to know which providers are worth looking into, especially for our area (SW Wisconsin).

900ftjesus
Aug 10, 2003

HondaCivet posted:

After being hosed by US Cellular several times in several ways, my boyfriend canceled his plan completely. He's pretty tired of dealing with the stupid contract-based companies so we were looking for a good prepaid service. He mostly just wants minutes and text but any bonus stuff like prepaid Internet would be nice too. We just want to know which providers are worth looking into, especially for our area (SW Wisconsin).

T-Mobile Even More Plus plans require no contract and start at $40/month for talk and text. You will have to buy a phone at full price from them or an unlocked phone elsewhere.

HondaCivet
Oct 16, 2005

And then it falls
And then I fall
And then I know

900ftjesus posted:

T-Mobile Even More Plus plans require no contract and start at $40/month for talk and text. You will have to buy a phone at full price from them or an unlocked phone elsewhere.

Part of my area is covered by a "partner" rather than T-Mobile itself . . . is that OK usually?

900ftjesus
Aug 10, 2003

HondaCivet posted:

Part of my area is covered by a "partner" rather than T-Mobile itself . . . is that OK usually?

It would really depend on a lot of things. Ask someone you know with T-Mo service.

KingFisher
Oct 30, 2006
WORST EDITOR in the history of my expansion school's student paper. Then I married a BEER HEIRESS and now I shitpost SA by white-knighting the status quo to defend my unearned life of privilege.
Fun Shoe
I need a phone

Carrier: Don't matter

Contract: Don't matter

Budget: cheap as possible/used even?

Features:

1. physical keyboard
2. wifi/bluetooth connectivity
3. be able to run Gizmo5, Googletalk, Googlevoice.

I will be using this as a peripheral to a net-book with a clearwire modem.
So it will be used for voice when making incoming and outgoing calls, and SMS.

Ideally it can also run other IM apps like aim/yahoo/msn, or I could just have those screenames signed on to forward to my Googlevoice number.

Even better would be if there were driver to run the usb modem with an android phone, a variety of splinters/adapter and power sources could meet the need with that.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

KingFisher posted:

I need a phone

Carrier: Don't matter

Contract: Don't matter

Budget: cheap as possible/used even?

Features:

1. physical keyboard
2. wifi/bluetooth connectivity
3. be able to run Gizmo5, Googletalk, Googlevoice.

I will be using this as a peripheral to a net-book with a clearwire modem.
So it will be used for voice when making incoming and outgoing calls, and SMS.

Ideally it can also run other IM apps like aim/yahoo/msn, or I could just have those screenames signed on to forward to my Googlevoice number.

Even better would be if there were driver to run the usb modem with an android phone, a variety of splinters/adapter and power sources could meet the need with that.

I haven't done anything with Clearwire, is that Modem WiFi, or one device at a time?

KingFisher
Oct 30, 2006
WORST EDITOR in the history of my expansion school's student paper. Then I married a BEER HEIRESS and now I shitpost SA by white-knighting the status quo to defend my unearned life of privilege.
Fun Shoe

Duckman2008 posted:

I haven't done anything with Clearwire, is that Modem WiFi, or one device at a time?

http://www.clear.com/shop/devices/mobile

would be one of those! they do offer those wifi sharer things too.

alien8
Jul 29, 2004

Fun Shoe
Hoping this is the correct thread, so here goes:

I'm in Canada right now with an unlocked Blackberry Curve 8900 on Rogers. A year ago I vacationed in England and was able to get a prepaid data plan with Orange. It was great - I could Blackberry message to family back home, send & receive email, and use the web to plan routes on the underground. All I had to pay for up front was the SIM card and the chunk of voice minutes and data usage that I expected to use. When my account ran low I could refill it from my phone as needed.

This spring, my wife and I will be taking a road trip along the Pacific coast from Vancouver down to San Diego, and I guess my question is whether or not there are any American providers that I will be able to get a prepaid voice/data plan with similar to what I used overseas?

Here's to hoping that I can. I shudder at the thought of paying Rogers' ridiculous data roaming fees.

Fuzzy Pipe Wrench
Nov 5, 2008

MAYBE DON'T STEAL BEER FROM GOONS?

CHEERS!
(FUCK YOU)
Current provider: Alltel with some 99cent phone from 2 years ago
What I want now is a smartphone, preferably something with Android, and a plan for it. The phone I can spend on but I'd like the cheapest possible plan with unlimited data.
Edit: I'm on the west coast of Florida near Tampa if that matters for coverage areas or anything.

Fuzzy Pipe Wrench fucked around with this message at 06:05 on Mar 18, 2010

Tedronai66
Aug 24, 2006
Better to Reign in Hell...

Fuzzy Pipe Wrench posted:

Current provider: Alltel with some 99cent phone from 2 years ago
What I want now is a smartphone, preferably something with Android, and a plan for it. The phone I can spend on but I'd like the cheapest possible plan with unlimited data.
Edit: I'm on the west coast of Florida near Tampa if that matters for coverage areas or anything.

Sprint eprp with moment or hero (or wait for nexus1/supersonic).

KracKiwi
Mar 29, 2002

:byodood: well excuse me, princess!
Country/Provider: USA/Verizon

Budget (phone/plan): $250 (price with 2yr contract/online discount)

Option #1: NO DATA PLAN

Features I know I want:
  • High capacity/no limit text message inbox/sent items
  • Set per-person text message sounds and call ringtones
  • Connect to PC by USB or memory card slot for ringtones/pictures/etc...
  • Decently sized screen
  • Camera
  • Bluetooth
  • Fast interface

Option #2 WITH DATA PLAN

Features I know I want:

Best non-BlackBerry smart/multimedia phone from Verizon. I'm assuming this is the Droid?

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

KracKiwi posted:

Budget (phone/plan): $250 (price with 2yr contract/online discount)

[

Option #2 WITH DATA PLAN

Features I know I want:

Best non-BlackBerry smart/multimedia phone from Verizon. I'm assuming this is the Droid?

The Droid is indeed the current best. I would recommend researching into the Nexus 1 and HTC Incredible to see if either of those are phones you would want. The Droid is still pretttty close to their speeds though.

KracKiwi
Mar 29, 2002

:byodood: well excuse me, princess!

Duckman2008 posted:

The Droid is indeed the current best. I would recommend researching into the Nexus 1 and HTC Incredible to see if either of those are phones you would want. The Droid is still pretttty close to their speeds though.

Yeah I really hope the Nexus 1 comes to Verizon asap. I currently have an XV6800 because I thought I needed a physical keyboard, but it turns out it's more annoying than useful.

Still no concrete word on when the Nexus 1 will be available to Verizon customers, ey?

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

KracKiwi posted:

Yeah I really hope the Nexus 1 comes to Verizon asap. I currently have an XV6800 because I thought I needed a physical keyboard, but it turns out it's more annoying than useful.

Still no concrete word on when the Nexus 1 will be available to Verizon customers, ey?

no, but likely very soon, and I would wait a week, the Incredible could possibly be announced with the Supersonic next week.

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin
provider: verizon
plan: unlimited

a friend of mine is getting a new contract with verizon and wondering about phones. She wants a hardware keyboard on the smartphone, other than that doesn't care. Are the droid and pre plus the best options? I haven't used the droid keyboard, is it really that bad? Anything out shortly she should wait on? The new superphones are all non physical keyboard :(

mastershakeman fucked around with this message at 14:07 on Mar 24, 2010

A CRUNK BIRD
Sep 29, 2004
Current contract status: on a Verizon family plan out of the goodness of my parents' hearts
Budget: I could probably spend about 200-300 dollars on a phone without wanting to kill myself from the guilt.
Features I know I want: threaded texts, decent camera, qwerty keyboard, doesn't look like a big clunky piece of poo poo, intuitive/non-hideous menus if possible, memory expansion slot, wifi ability would be awesome but probably outside my price range, I would love to be able to import mp3s from my pc and use them for ringtones or whatever. I have no idea if a smartphone is required for that kind of stuff.

I know pretty much gently caress-all about shopping for phones/plans, as I've been content (sort of) with my lovely samsung no-name phone and our family plan. But having the same lovely phone is starting to wear thin, especially after 4 years and putting it through the washing machine causing silly problems. As far as I know, there aren't any discounts or new every 2 type deals for me since I'm on a family plan, so I guess I'll be paying full retail price for a phone if I stick with Verizon? Just from looking around this forum, Sprint's employee discount plan seems pretty reasonable at something like $60 a month for unlimited data/texts and 500 minutes. May seem quaint to you, but I'm marveling at the idea of being able to go on the internet on my cell phone. However, I've heard sprint's reception can be kinda poo poo in my area (Rochester, NY) so if anyone has an opinion on that I'd love to hear it. On the other hand, I wonder how much it would cost (or if it would even be possible) to add unlimited texts and/or data to my Verizon line and somehow pick up a new phone without loving my generous parents (or my checking acct) over. I've been looking into the Alias 2 or EnV3, just as kind of a general idea of what I'm lookin for, but I'm definitely open to other suggestions (obviously.) Sorry if these are kind of vague questions, I'm really just testing the water here. This is all new to me.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

A CRUNK BIRD posted:

Current contract status: on a Verizon family plan out of the goodness of my parents' hearts
Budget: I could probably spend about 200-300 dollars on a phone without wanting to kill myself from the guilt.
Features I know I want: threaded texts, decent camera, qwerty keyboard, doesn't look like a big clunky piece of poo poo, intuitive/non-hideous menus if possible, memory expansion slot, wifi ability would be awesome but probably outside my price range, I would love to be able to import mp3s from my pc and use them for ringtones or whatever. I have no idea if a smartphone is required for that kind of stuff.

I know pretty much gently caress-all about shopping for phones/plans, as I've been content (sort of) with my lovely samsung no-name phone and our family plan. But having the same lovely phone is starting to wear thin, especially after 4 years and putting it through the washing machine causing silly problems. As far as I know, there aren't any discounts or new every 2 type deals for me since I'm on a family plan, so I guess I'll be paying full retail price for a phone if I stick with Verizon? Just from looking around this forum, Sprint's employee discount plan seems pretty reasonable at something like $60 a month for unlimited data/texts and 500 minutes. May seem quaint to you, but I'm marveling at the idea of being able to go on the internet on my cell phone. However, I've heard sprint's reception can be kinda poo poo in my area (Rochester, NY) so if anyone has an opinion on that I'd love to hear it. On the other hand, I wonder how much it would cost (or if it would even be possible) to add unlimited texts and/or data to my Verizon line and somehow pick up a new phone without loving my generous parents (or my checking acct) over. I've been looking into the Alias 2 or EnV3, just as kind of a general idea of what I'm lookin for, but I'm definitely open to other suggestions (obviously.) Sorry if these are kind of vague questions, I'm really just testing the water here. This is all new to me.

Verizon (and any major carrier) allows you to individually upgrade your phone every 2 years (with a 2 year contract on lines upgraded only). With an ENV3 unlimited texts are $20 a month for an individual line ($30 for the entire family) and individual line data (that is REQUIRED for the ENV3) is $9.99 with a 25MB cap.

Your call on Sprint coverage, just goes sprint.com/coverage and check. Otherwise Sprint does have much lower price points than Verizon and you can have a smartphone with no extra data fees (just the $60 a month). Do the math, see what is cheaper, staying on the family plan and adding text/data, or switching to Sprint.

Geno
Apr 26, 2004
STUPID
DICK

Duckman2008 posted:

no, but likely very soon, and I would wait a week, the Incredible could possibly be announced with the Supersonic next week.

so the Incredible/Supersonic will probably be ~$200, right? i'm looking for a new smartphone and the Droid for $25 at Amazon is so tempting. will the Incredible/Supersonic be THAT much better?

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Geno posted:

so the Incredible/Supersonic will probably be ~$200, right? i'm looking for a new smartphone and the Droid for $25 at Amazon is so tempting. will the Incredible/Supersonic be THAT much better?

The Supersonic has now been announced as the HTC EVO, check it out at sprint.com/evo

The incredible should be faster than the Droid, but from what I gather not by a whole whole lot. But def noticeable.

Hung Yuri
Aug 29, 2007

by Tiny Fistpump
So I'm guessing my recommendation is too impossible?

A CRUNK BIRD
Sep 29, 2004

Duckman2008 posted:

Verizon (and any major carrier) allows you to individually upgrade your phone every 2 years (with a 2 year contract on lines upgraded only). With an ENV3 unlimited texts are $20 a month for an individual line ($30 for the entire family) and individual line data (that is REQUIRED for the ENV3) is $9.99 with a 25MB cap.

Your call on Sprint coverage, just goes sprint.com/coverage and check. Otherwise Sprint does have much lower price points than Verizon and you can have a smartphone with no extra data fees (just the $60 a month). Do the math, see what is cheaper, staying on the family plan and adding text/data, or switching to Sprint.
Thanks for the tips, but how reliable are those coverage maps really? Also, 25MB sounds extraordinarily easy to burn through, is it fair to say anyone wanting real use out of the internet ought to go unlimited?

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

A CRUNK BIRD posted:

Thanks for the tips, but how reliable are those coverage maps really? Also, 25MB sounds extraordinarily easy to burn through, is it fair to say anyone wanting real use out of the internet ought to go unlimited?

Yeah, but VZ unlimited internet is expensive ($30 for smartphones, i guess the same for feature phones).

Not completely, but go to deadcellzones.com or phonescoop.com and see customer reviews of the carriers in your area.

Calypso Hippo
Dec 29, 2008

Free Air! No Oppression!
Provider: Rogers

I've had a Blackberry Pearl for about a year and a half and I'd like to upgrade to a new phone so I can lower my monthly bill as I no longer need a data plan. Anyways, I've narrowed it down to the following three phones from the options I've been given:

Samsung Gravity t456
Nokia 5310 Blue
Sony Ericsson C510

I really just need a phone for texting and the occasional phone call now. Battery life isn't a huge issue, I don't care about the camera or the music player.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hikaki
Oct 11, 2005
Motherfucking Fujitsu Heavy Industries
I'm looking for a dumbphone for my mother who previously owned a Motorola Razr. I was thinking of rebuying one but I figured I'd look around and see if there exists one that would work a little better. Basically imagine a phone that you would give to your grandma who likes to take the occasional picture/video of her grandkids. She doesn't use any fancy features but here are four important things that the phone needs to have:

- Big, easy to read keys. She is far-sighted and needs to be able to read the keys without her glasses. This pretty much eliminates any phone with a full keyboard. The Razr worked pretty well with this but bigger is better.

- Big, easy to read screen. Ditto above.

- Good quality speakerphone. She uses it very often and it was one of the first things that crapped out on the Razr.

- Long battery life. She talks for hours and hours and hours everyday so decent battery life would be nice. This doesn't seem to be that big of an issue, especially with dumbphones, but it's worth noting.

The following things would be nice to have but are not mission critical:

- Decent camera, possibly with video recording. Maybe even a flash but that's even lower priority.

- Memory card slot so she can move her pictures/videos to a PC.

And here are some constraints:

Current contract status: Active

Budget (phone/plan): $100-150. This is replacing a phone on a current contract so no need to worry about the plan.

Any ideas?