Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

Capsaicin posted:

Literally, the only bad thing I have ever heard about Cena is this board during the 2005/2006 "WE HATE CENARARLAJ" phase.

The guy is apparently just the best person in the world. Everything from doing a hundred and fifty Make a Wish visits a year to being extremely nice and conversational to fans outside of the ring to every story I've heard about him genuinely loving wrestling...yeah, Cena is basically :3: + :glomp: .

In his prime, the same was said about Hogan.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Supreme Allah
Oct 6, 2004

everybody relax, i'm here
Nap Ghost

Davros1 posted:

In his prime, the same was said about Hogan.

Hogan's always been very nice to his fans and 90 percent of the evil things he does are basically things that any ambitious and successful person does in any walk of life. I personally don't consider him a bad person for exploiting Turners idiocy or keeping down young talent that never amounted to much even when he wasn't around. His kids are moron assholes but that happens a lot.

Carlton Banks
Jan 5, 2004

"The Tigers' biggest obstacle to a championship will be keeping a straight face. The Tigers in three."

Rankine Over Gash posted:

Also I am thinking of ordering WM 26 simply for the Hart McMahon bout. Will it be as awesome as I am imaging in my Bret Smark dreams?

Bret can't bump and Vince is 65 now, so no

The match will be horrible, but as long as it has a satisfying ending like Bret snapping Vince's back in the sharpshooter, people will be happy (plus HBK/Taker and Cena/Batista should be awesome enough to justify the price)

inconsequential
Feb 6, 2004
How hilarious would that be if Bret really was harboring a grudge and decided to stretch Vince with the sharpshooter and tear his quad or break his loving leg? I'd laugh.

CombineThresher
Apr 10, 2006

GIT R DONNE

Supreme Allah posted:

Hogan's always been very nice to his fans and 90 percent of the evil things he does are basically things that any ambitious and successful person does in any walk of life. I personally don't consider him a bad person for exploiting Turners idiocy or keeping down young talent that never amounted to much even when he wasn't around. His kids are moron assholes but that happens a lot.

I think time, and specifically his response to his son's car accident, has exposed Hogan as a selfish and shallow man. That doesn't mean he's evil, but when he's not "on" (which he makes sure to be around fans/kids), he's a dick. That's a byproduct of life as a carny, I imagine.

Schlitzkrieg Bop
Sep 19, 2005

Hogan seems to be really nice to fans and a real shithead when it comes to his personal life, which I think describes most of the guys from his era outside of absolute psychopaths like Warrior.

Grant DaNasty
Jul 17, 2006

inconsequential posted:

How hilarious would that be if Bret really was harboring a grudge and decided to stretch Vince with the sharpshooter and tear his quad or break his loving leg? I'd laugh.

It would be hilarious if either one of them shot on the other.

Bret buries the hatchet with Vince and Shawn, and then goes through this whole angle and comeback to just get the chance to knock out Vince again in real life "on the biggest stage of them all". Or Vince goes to the trouble of finally talking Bret to come back to WWE just to screw him over again "on the biggest stage of them all" over 10 years later for shits and giggles.

Unfortunately I think they're too professional to do that. :sigh:

Free Market Gravy
Sep 17, 2005

crankdatbatman posted:

Is John Cena one of those babyface super assholes? b/c I got the impression he was a nice guy.

If so what is an rear end in a top hat John Cena story?

I'm pretty sure if you e-mailed John Cena and asked him to fly out to your house so you could say hi, he'd check his schedule and only decline if he had plans.

And then he'd try to reschedule.

Writer Cath
Apr 1, 2007

Box. Flipped.
Plaster Town Cop

Free Market Gravy posted:

I'm pretty sure if you e-mailed John Cena and asked him to fly out to your house so you could say hi, he'd check his schedule and only decline if he had plans.

Also, he'd probably bring pizza.

Toadofsky
Dec 19, 2002

by Y Kant Ozma Post
Why did WWE lose the Attitude? I am under the impression that WWE had its best ratings when they were edgier.

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

It's like goldy or bronzy, but made of iron.

sondarby posted:

Why did WWE lose the Attitude? I am under the impression that WWE had its best ratings when they were edgier.

its best, and some of its worst. It was never "edgier" than the necrophilia angle in 2002, and its ratings were in the crapper for that one.

Also, Linda McMahon is running for senate, so the product is being made as clean as possible.

Schlitzkrieg Bop
Sep 19, 2005

They started to decline in popularity while they were still ostensibly pushing the "edgier" Attitude content so there wasn't really a direct correlation. In addition to Linda running for the Senate, there's also the probability that they realized a large portion of their remaining audience was younger kids, so they toned things down to keep it acceptable enough for them to watch.

Ironically I think most of that Attitude era stuff appeals more to kids and teenagers than adults. I thought it was great when I was in junior high and high school, but looking back a lot of it was boring and crude just for the sake of being crude. Not that I don't miss aspects of it sometimes now, but lazy writing is lazy writing whether or not there's a dick joke included in it.

reality_groove
Dec 27, 2007

The attitude reputation also kept away some advertisers I think. That said, most PPVs now seem to be sponsored by the National Guard so I have no idea what's going on.

Anyway, a question: I just noticed that Backlash 2002 had Undertaker vs Stone Cold. What was the story behind this match, I honestly can't recall anything about it which seems strange given their high profiles. I'm guessing this was just before Taker got the title and Austin left?

Minidust
Nov 4, 2009

Keep bustin'

reality_groove posted:

Anyway, a question: I just noticed that Backlash 2002 had Undertaker vs Stone Cold. What was the story behind this match, I honestly can't recall anything about it which seems strange given their high profiles. I'm guessing this was just before Taker got the title and Austin left?
I honestly don't remember the match, but I think that's the same PPV where Hogan got his big nostalgia title win. If I'm remembering that part correctly, then I figure Taker/Austin must have been some sort of #1 contender situation, since 'Taker (heel biker with short hair at the time) won the tile from Hogan the following month.

Writer Cath
Apr 1, 2007

Box. Flipped.
Plaster Town Cop

reality_groove posted:

The attitude reputation also kept away some advertisers I think. That said, most PPVs now seem to be sponsored by the National Guard so I have no idea what's going on.

Perhaps, when the Draft comes, wrestlers go first.

Karmine
Oct 23, 2003

If you tremble with indignation at every injustice, then you are a comrade of mine.

Writer Cath posted:

Perhaps, when the Draft comes, wrestlers go first.

They will be going! They'll be going to either Raw or Smackdown! :v:

PlasticSpoon
Apr 2, 2004
What is the lowest rating RAW has ever gotten? And what was the summary of the show?

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

PlasticSpoon posted:

What is the lowest rating RAW has ever gotten? And what was the summary of the show?

was sometime in october 1996, they scored like a 1.8 or so.

Skinty McEdger
Mar 9, 2008

I have NEVER received the respect I deserve as the leader and founder of The Masterflock, the internet's largest and oldest Christopher Masterpiece fan group in all of history, and I DEMAND that changes. From now on, you will respect Skinty McEdger!

The 1.8 was for the October 14th show which had the following card.

onlineworldofwrestling posted:

Vader def Phinneas I. Godwinn, Jake "The Snake" Roberts def Jerry "The King" Lawler (Roberts came to the ring and tricked Lawler by faking being drunk), Freddie Joe Floyd (Tracy Smothers) def Hunter Hearst Helmsley by Countout (Mr. Perfect came down and stole HHH's valet), Farooq def Alex "The Pug" Porteau (Sunny joined Jim Ross & Kevin Kelly on commentary), Shawn Michaels w/Jose Lothario def Steve Austin by DQ.

El Axo Grande
Apr 2, 2005

by T. Finn

Skinty McEdger posted:

The 1.8 was for the October 14th show which had the following card.

Hahaha Austin vs. Michaels main evented the lowest rated RAW ever

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!
HHH was not kidding when he said losing to Ultimate Warrior sent him into a pit of despair. Losing, even via count out to Smothers at that point in his career. drat.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

Skinty McEdger posted:

Jake "The Snake" Roberts def Jerry "The King" Lawler (Roberts came to the ring and tricked Lawler by faking being drunk

I wonder how much he was actually faking it? Or was he not drunk and just high on crack?

Dr. Ass
Apr 21, 2008

sportsgenius86 posted:

I hate Triple H because everything about him is so forced and contrived.

I've always found his ceiling to be as a complementary piece to a legit-high calibur main eventer and haven't ever found him to be interesting or compelling when he has to carry a feud or a match mostly himself.

When I look at the best main eventers you can pinpoint a reason why they're to be held in such high esteem. Undertaker was legitimately intimidating for the longest time. Steve Austin was an insanely identifiable character who was undervalued as a worker. The Rock is possibly the most charismatic individual to set foot in the ring. Shawn Michaels could carry a mop and bucket to a **** match. Mick Foley was a legitimately likable person who was very clearly putting everything he had into his biggest matches.

With Triple H, there's literally nothing I can think of that makes me think I should consider him a great main eventer other than the fact that I've basically been told to do so. He's good enough at everything but not really great at anything.

I don't think it's right to say that his wife is the reason he is where he is. He got there before her.

But he's very much a product of circumstance. The WWE reached a point where almost every other main eventer had deteriorated or retired and he was basically thrust to the No. 1 spot for no other real reason than someone had to be.

He's got a tremendous passion for the business and I respect that, but I just don't think he's of the level the WWE tries to pass him off to be.

The whole thing is moot though since for some god forsaken reason a bunch of dumb kids seem to think him and Cena are the greatest things ever.

Let's take off the smark glasses for a minute and look at this objectively. You make valid points but they still reek of "BLARGH I HATE THIS GUY."

He gets heat. Maybe not consistently, but he gets heat. His most bore-snore snoozefests that we refer to are his WrestleMania matches at X-8 and 25, but let's remember they main-evented after two of the most rowdy matches in the history of the event. Whether he's face or heel, he gets reactions. He was booed constantly during his reign of terror and the McMahon-Helmsley days. He got one of the most raucous welcome-back receptions ever when he came back in '02 and he's been one of the most consistently over faces in the business since he came back at SummerSlam in '07. And hey, he gets the internet raging whenever he shows up, so that has to be worth something.

He's been a focal point of two of the most well-known and successful stables of all time. He was generally known as Shawn Michaels' lackey in the earlier phases of D-Generation X, but after Michaels' hand was forced and he had to retire, HHH took the helm (pun unintentional) as the leader of the group. The NAO and X-Pac were huge at the time but you're kidding yourself if they could've kept DX afloat as the figureheads. And if any of them tried bringing back DX in 2006 it would've been a laughable failure. DX was brought back and remained a force in kayfabe, TV time, and merchandise sales because of Michaels AND Triple H.

The Evolution name gave legitimacy to everyone associated. It brought Ric Flair as much heel heat as he's ever had and it directly launched Randy Orton and Batista into main event legitimacy. And HHH was the guy they spearheaded it with because let's face it, Flair on the mic means accidental face turn, so they gave it to the guy who Gets Heat.

With incredibly few exceptions on much smaller scales, you don't get to his level if the crowd doesn't care about you. Period. Just because a bunch of smarks on a message board think he's boring doesn't mean he can't get a reaction. Enough people think he's entertaining to react to him accordingly during matches and promos, and it makes the company money, so from a business perspective, who gives a gently caress what a non-paying minority thinks?

El Axo Grande
Apr 2, 2005

by T. Finn

CM Junk posted:

The Evolution name gave legitimacy to everyone associated. It brought Ric Flair as much heel heat as he's ever had

this is so wrong that the word wrong fails to express how wrong this is

disaster pastor
May 1, 2007

Dylar Addict posted:

Yeah, I can't even conceive the thought process that leads to those last twelve words being put there in that order.

Satire Forum Mom
Oct 4, 2003
MY CUNT DRIPS BROWN REFUSE LIKE A DIRTY HOOKAH. PS. THE BACK OF MY THIGHS ARE RIDICULOUS - COTTAGE CHEESE ANYONE?
Triple H hasn't done anything cool or interesting since 2000 and he's not on the same plane as Austin and the Rock (or Flair and Hogan) when it comes to stars.

Dr. Ass
Apr 21, 2008

Dylar Addict posted:

tzirean posted:

Yeah, I can't even conceive the thought process that leads to those last twelve words being put there in that order.

Poor wording then. I didn't mean that Ric Flair was the most over he's ever been as a heel in 2003-04. That's just dumb.

Satire Forum Mom posted:

Triple H hasn't done anything cool or interesting since 2000 and he's not on the same plane as Austin and the Rock (or Flair and Hogan) when it comes to stars.

Thanks for your eloquent, well-thought-out contribution to the conversation.

El Axo Grande
Apr 2, 2005

by T. Finn

CM Junk posted:

Poor wording then. I didn't mean that Ric Flair was the most over he's ever been as a heel in 2003-04. That's just dumb.

We know you didn't mean that, you said it was when he had his most heel heat, which is equally wrong as all hell

LightsGameraAction
Sep 4, 2006

Satire Forum Mom posted:

As ridiculous as it sounds Triple H was the one keeping the substance alive over the style when it was Rock/HHH/Austin main eventing and before Kurt came along.

If you saw more than 4 distinctly different wrestling moves in a main event in the late 90's it was because Triple H was in the main event.

It's why he was my favorite at the time. The dude could actually loving wrestle. Rock and Austin were entertaining when they cut promos but apart from that what were they good for? Punching and hitting their signature moves.

Dr. Ass
Apr 21, 2008

Dylar Addict posted:

We know you didn't mean that, you said it was when he had his most heel heat, which is equally wrong as all hell

In my defense I started watching in '02 and I don't give a gently caress :colbert:

Regardless, I concede I said a dumb thing. My other points stand.

LightsGameraAction posted:

As ridiculous as it sounds Triple H was the one keeping the substance alive over the style when it was Rock/HHH/Austin main eventing and before Kurt came along.

If you saw more than 4 distinctly different wrestling moves in a main event in the late 90's it was because Triple H was in the main event.

It's why he was my favorite at the time. The dude could actually loving wrestle. Rock and Austin were entertaining when they cut promos but apart from that what were they good for? Punching and hitting their signature moves.

And even though that's HHH's style now, it's because he's getting old and is still being called on to main event shows on a regular schedule. He's working safe while still giving most fans what they want. I really don't know how you can hate on a guy for that other than "he isn't entertaining ME."

Dr. Ass fucked around with this message at 08:27 on Mar 17, 2010

Strenuous Manflurry
Sep 5, 2006

THE END

LightsGameraAction posted:

You can get away with saying that about Rock to a point. His matches were more simple and built more around the entertainment front. But Austin, despite his rep as the punchy-kicky stomp-a-mudhole-in-the-corner guy later in his career due to his neck injury, was a hell of a worker. I watched most RAWs from 97-99 not too long ago, usually skipping the unbelievably atrocious undercard bullshit, and Austin could still go as far as the steak versus the sizzle argument goes. No, he wasn't what he used to be before the Owendriver '97 or during his "Stunning" Steve days, but he was in there leaving it in the ring. And on PPV, you could always count on a high-caliber bout.

It was something that always stood out to me about Austin, who clearly wanted to work at a high level even when he didn't have to. He could have gone out every night, punched his opponent a few times, hit his forearm/elbow drop thing, picked the dude up and stunned him, but instead he would take suplexes on the ramp, hard bumps to the floor, go off the middle rope, and it likely wound up costing him a few years of his career. Even though he could have just phoned it in each night.

And then there's his insane heel run, including the multiple german suplexes from Benoit, amongst other awesome moments.

FishBulb
Mar 29, 2003

Marge, I'd like to be alone with the sandwich for a moment.

Are you going to eat it?

...yes...

CM Junk posted:

I really don't know how you can hate on a guy for that other than "he isn't entertaining ME."

How is this not the singular most valid and relevant criticism of an entertainment medium?

NO FUCK YOU DAD
Oct 23, 2008

FishBulb posted:

How is this not the singular most valid and relevant criticism of an entertainment medium?
Because of the implied (and often explicitly stated) hyperbole of "well he doesn't entertain me and that's why he's killing the business". He's not killing the business, he's not making wrestling objectively boring, he's shifting unreal levels of merch and is insanely over as either face or heel, and just happens to be doing it in a way that doesn't appeal to a small minority.

The guy is a company man, married into the business and will likely run the place with his wife after Vince is gone. He's experienced, both new and old fans know who he is, he's not likely to disappear or retire in the next few years - unlike Michaels, 'Taker, Batista - and he works safe. All while being probably the second highest merch mover in the business (I'd hazard a guess that Cena moves more).

If he doesn't entertain you, fine, he's never been a favourite of mine either. But a lot of the hate stems from people thinking he's legitimately killing wrestling, and he just isn't.

Karmine
Oct 23, 2003

If you tremble with indignation at every injustice, then you are a comrade of mine.

Shegetz posted:

Because of the implied (and often explicitly stated) hyperbole of "well he doesn't entertain me and that's why he's killing the business".

Nobody said this.

FishBulb
Mar 29, 2003

Marge, I'd like to be alone with the sandwich for a moment.

Are you going to eat it?

...yes...
I don't really see how any of that is anything?.

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat
Third biggest merch mover: Funaki

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003

Free Market Gravy posted:

Didn't someone on the forums give John Cena a box of Colgate to sign and he did so without hesitation?

anakha
Sep 16, 2009

Strenuous Manflurry posted:

Austin respect

Not to mention the sudden resurgence of technical wrestling!Austin during his heel run.

Web Jew.0
May 13, 2009

CM Junk posted:

He's been a focal point of two of the most well-known and successful stables of all time. He was generally known as Shawn Michaels' lackey in the earlier phases of D-Generation X, but after Michaels' hand was forced and he had to retire, HHH took the helm (pun unintentional) as the leader of the group. The NAO and X-Pac were huge at the time but you're kidding yourself if they could've kept DX afloat as the figureheads. And if any of them tried bringing back DX in 2006 it would've been a laughable failure. DX was brought back and remained a force in kayfabe, TV time, and merchandise sales because of Michaels AND Triple H.

I think if Shawn Michaels did a DX reunion in the WWE with - not that they're terrific wrestlers - Chyna, Pac, Road Dogg, Billy Gunn, Nash and/or Hall, it would've still been hotcakes. Maybe even if the WWE only had four or five of those guys without HBK in 2006 - 2009.

Man imagine if Triple H had stayed with Chyna... he'd be the one crashing reality TV shows, filming porn in china, and doing the lovely VKM/Band knockoff brands in TNA. Going from Chyna to Stephanie was like going from Corey Haim to David Beckham.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Meat Recital
Mar 26, 2009

by zen death robot

Burrito posted:

Third biggest merch mover: Funaki

He works at the warehouse.