Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FlerpNerpin
Apr 17, 2006

The KTM's are home. I celebrated by riding the wheels off mine while running some errands. Oh man. So good to be back.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fantastipotamus
Nov 19, 2002

Nothing's wrong. Nothing is wrong. Everything is on track.

Gnaghi posted:

Something like this? It looks pretty neat, though it might be kinda hard to read at a glance.

Edit: Actually, I'm gonna pick up the $100 Garmin soon (200 or 210 Model iirc), wire it into the bike and keep it in the map pocket of my tank bag. Don't those have a speedo function on them?
Most GPS have a speed readout, yeah, though IIRC it's usually pretty small and in the corner, so it might be tougher to read.

The one I used was this one, a Topeak V12. As I look online it's more like $35, but it's got a couple trip counters, a total mileage readout and a few other doodads. There's a wireless version too, for like ~$60 so you don't have to run the wire down to the little magnet reader dealie.

Here's the computer:

And here's how it looked on my bike. Pretty easy to read, and I think it actually had a light, too.

schreibs
Oct 11, 2009

how is your bike going 49 mph without a key in it???

UserNotFound
May 7, 2006
???

schreibs posted:

how is your bike going 49 mph without a key in it???

It's probably showing his average speed.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Oh, I may have to get one of those. Reading an analog speedo is just slightly annoying after two bikes with digital ones.

Fantastipotamus
Nov 19, 2002

Nothing's wrong. Nothing is wrong. Everything is on track.
Yeah, average speed display. It has an automatic off, too, so it shuts down after like 5 minutes or so of inactivity. Also, it came with a mounting thing where you could easily pop the computer off the handlebar mount, so on cold nights or whatever it's easy to bring inside. It's powered by a watch battery too, if memory serves. Oh, and lastly, this speedo won't display over 99.9mph obviously.

Endless Mike posted:

Oh, I may have to get one of those. Reading an analog speedo is just slightly annoying after two bikes with digital ones.
Yeah, it's a super cheap fix if you don't like analog gauges.

Here's the article I used as my template:
http://faq.ninja250.org/wiki/Installing_a_Sigma_bicycle_computer

spandexcajun
Feb 28, 2005

Suck the head for a little extra cajun flavor
Fallen Rib

Jabs posted:

Selling it.

Click here for the full 1914x1436 image.

Invested: $1563.15
Rode: 231 miles
Sold: $1300
ROI: -$1.14/mi

Took it for a short jaunt around the neighborhood last night. I've ridden it long enough to know that it's just not the right bike for me, but drat, I'm still going to miss it.

Oh no! Isn't that the bike that had like 1/4 million miles on it and every receipt for every tank of gas / oil change / every time air was added to the tires? You are in the Denver area right? I wanted to come see that sweet thing sometime...

Do you have any idea of what type of bike is right for you now? $200 is not to bad for a lesson learned. At least you were able to sell it.

FlerpNerpin
Apr 17, 2006

Clutch on the Ducati was just too quiet so naturally I installed an open cover today. Ah yes. Problem solved.

hayden.
Sep 11, 2007

here's a goat on a pig or something

spandexcajun posted:

Oh no! Isn't that the bike that had like 1/4 million miles on it and every receipt for every tank of gas / oil change / every time air was added to the tires? You are in the Denver area right? I wanted to come see that sweet thing sometime...

Do you have any idea of what type of bike is right for you now? $200 is not to bad for a lesson learned. At least you were able to sell it.

$200 is not bad at all. Took me over a grand on a bike only worth $1500 to figure out a KLR isn't for me.

FuzzyWuzzyBear
Sep 8, 2003

Wired in an 8-wire rectifier to replace the lovely OEM 5-wire one on my CBR F2. I felt like the astronauts in Apollo 13 fitting a square peg in a round hole, but I got the wires figured out eventually.

PadreScout
Mar 14, 2008
Yesterday I pulled my K75 out from under the cover. It had 6 months to drain the battery so I popped over to MotoLiberty and grabbed one of those battery tenders, yanked the battery and ECU out, slapped that puppy on the charger and today I got some nice spring riding in. I probably could have gotten some jumper cables, but why start your bike in 10 minutes when you can start it in 16 hours? I'm thinking this week I might even get around to installing my bitchin' PIAA HIDs. Good times.

Interesting thing I discovered: When your battery is so low on a K75 that it won't even power the neutral indicator light, the tachometer swings between 0 and 3k revs. I have no idea why, but that's wicked awesome.

Gnaghi
Jan 25, 2008

Is this a good first bike?

Checked intake valve clearance, took a nap, checked exhaust valve clearance. One exhaust valve is .005 when it's supposed to be 0.006-0.008, so it looks like I need to re-shim. I should've really ordered shims weeks ago, maybe I'll get lucky and the local cycle place will have them.

Also threw a Scotts reusable oil filter in. No more $20 lawnmower filters!

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

That is amazing. Lying on the sofa, eyes half closed, one hand under the head, the other wielding a feeler fauge.

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

You don't need style when you've got strength!

Figured out the wiring on the 50, put it back together and put some oil in it. Kicked it to life and ran it for a few minutes. All that is left before it is running down the road are tires, grips and getting it out of my bedroom. At least the room smells nice now

Edit: ~6 hours later feeling a bit sick from the exhaust in the room even with the window open all day. Bike runs and I rode it up and down the road a few times. Needs some time spent doing some minor tuning then it will be ready for races.

NitroSpazzz fucked around with this message at 00:12 on Mar 15, 2010

DiscoKid
May 25, 2004

by Fistgrrl
Status Update: Looked at it longingly. Poked at with stick. Howled.

It's beautiful today in Green Bay, but my room mate, with who I share a garage, went out with friends, leaving his boat of a car blocking in my poor, poor bike. I can't get it out of the garage to ride it :(

Arcteryx Anarchist
Sep 15, 2007

Fun Shoe

DiscoKid posted:

Status Update: Looked at it longingly. Poked at with stick. Howled.

It's beautiful today in Green Bay, but my room mate, with who I share a garage, went out with friends, leaving his boat of a car blocking in my poor, poor bike. I can't get it out of the garage to ride it :(

Tow Truck

Gnaghi
Jan 25, 2008

Is this a good first bike?

Ola posted:

That is amazing. Lying on the sofa, eyes half closed, one hand under the head, the other wielding a feeler fauge.

Yeah, well I'm sure it'll backfire at some point when the bike falls through the window. :downs:

Raven457
Aug 7, 2002
I bought Torquemada's torture equipment on e-bay!
New spark plugs went into the ST this weekend! :woop:

After 42,000 miles the stock plugs were toast, so I replaced them with NGK Iridium IX plugs. Much smoother idle and fuel mileage went up too. :smug:

I'll probably pull and check one or two at my next oil change just to see how they are doing, but I shouldn't have to think about changing them for quite some time.

the walkin dude
Oct 27, 2004

powerfully erect.
The girlfriend dropped my Ninja 500 today.

She was practicing going around campus on it, her first foray on the road. After meeting a detour at an intersection where some guy had hosed up his front tire on a turn and blocked the intersection, we pulled into an adjacent parking lot. I was talking to her from the driver's seat of my car, then we started to leave. She gave too little power and the engine stalled, and she fell over with the Ninja a few feet away from my door.

Ensue jumping out and helping the Ninja back up. Her ego was bruised, she had a small wound on her knee. But the Ninja was just fine. It already had a cracked fairing on the left side, which she fell upon. No further damage.

We talked about how it had happened. It was sudden for her, and the sudden stop and fall overwhelmed her left leg (she's a black belt in TKD even). Emphasized smoothness of throttle control, etc.

Geez. Thank god for already-cracked fairings.

We finished the rest of campus, and she's excited to see the rise of her Ninja 250 from the dead. I can't wait either. 75 less pounds to manage.

needknees
Apr 4, 2006

Oh. My.
Washed all the sand/salt/grime off, and redid my overly lovely hasty wiring for the fender eliminator kit today and properly soldered and shrink wrapped all the joints. This was the first time I ever soldered anything, and it all worked after I was done so I consider it a success!

:toot:

Zool
Mar 21, 2005

The motard rap
for all my riders
at the track
Dirt hardpacked
corner workers better
step back

Gnaghi posted:

That's a familiar sight. I did a valve check on Friday, but all was still well.

CSi-NA-EJ7
Feb 21, 2007
Wired up a new tail light to the KTM. For some reason it worked best when the positive and negative wires were switched and it took a few minutes to figure it out :confused:

Raven457
Aug 7, 2002
I bought Torquemada's torture equipment on e-bay!
...discovered the ST will pull the front wheel off the ground from a roll in first. I wasn't TRYING to pop a wheelie. I made a right hand turn from a stop, and since traffic was moving fast once was pointed straight down the road with the bike standing straight up I pinned the throttle. Usually when I want to accelerate really fast I'm already in second or third... this time I was in first at about 10 mph or so. Holy poo poo :aaaaa:

The ST isn't exactly light, I'm not exactly light, and it still picked the wheel up? Consider my mind blown, I loving love my bike.

spandexcajun
Feb 28, 2005

Suck the head for a little extra cajun flavor
Fallen Rib

needknees posted:

fender eliminator

What's up fender eliminator buddy! I installed a fender eliminator on the sv650 today, but I was lazy and crimped / electrical taped the connections even though I know better and own a solding iron :(

The PO of my bike just removed the fender and made some getto plate holder out of metal. Now I have turn signals and a plate light, hooray for legality!

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.
Swapped the front ends on the DRZ. Now I have the normal amount of travel, and the g/f's bike is a bit lower for her. I actually prefer the g/f's DRZ with the stiffer, lowered front end, it handles quite nicely like that. We'll see how my bike responds offroad in a day or 2.

Tsaven Nava
Dec 31, 2008

by elpintogrande
Experienced full throttle in second gear on my Wee.

I know that it's not a particularly powerful bike, but christ. It's like the hand of god is trying to rip the bike forwards through space and time.

sectoidman
Aug 21, 2006
Never underestimate the bandwidth of a station wagon full of tapes hurtling down the highway.

Tsaven Nava posted:

Experienced full throttle in second gear on my Wee.

I know that it's not a particularly powerful bike, but christ. It's like the hand of god is trying to rip the bike forwards through space and time.

A bit like this, right?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mk7VWcuVOf0#t=1m30s

On topic:

Polished the exhaust with some turtle wax chrome polish to try to remove the rust spots that seem to have developed after months of riding in wet weather. It seemed to work okay as a polish, but I'm not totally satisfied with its rust removal ability. Also, rode it to the store and back.

Kenny Rogers
Sep 7, 2007

Chapter One:
When I first saw Sparky, he reminded me of my favorite comb. He was missing a lot of teeth.

spandexcajun posted:

That's the one... 178002 miles on the odometer when we loaded her into the trailer. She went to a great home, though - the new owner had new turn signals, a headlamp and a new fairing on the way to his house even before taking delivery. We went for a short jaunt around the neighborhood last Friday (He was on the Beemer, I followed on the Maxim), and that's what sealed the deal. He totally fell in love. I'm happy with the deal.

One of the things that sold me on buying that bike was the adjustability - the handlebars adjust for reach and angle and such, and there's a 3-position seat. Despite all that, I just never could quite get comfortable - just a little too much weight on my hands, and even with the bars fully back, just a little too long a reach.

What really did me in, though, was riding Bunway Airlines' DRZ400SM when I was in California a couple weeks back.
It was a completely terrifying experience - riding someone else's new-to-her bike, in a borrowed helmet and gloves that I barely fit into, only my regular leather jacket for abrasion protection, in a strange town, downtown, at night, with WAY more horsepower and torque immediately on tap than you're used to, not having ridden more than 5 miles in almost 5 months, topped off with not having 1000 miles total logged.
Yeah. Terrifying.
But holy gently caress - 6 blocks was enough.

I gotta laugh, though. I made some crack about all the guys here who buy a Ninja 250, ride it for 250 miles/a few months, then want to sell and 'upgrade'. :facepalm:

Kenny Rogers fucked around with this message at 23:23 on Mar 16, 2010

UserNotFound
May 7, 2006
???
I rode it, and pushed it an equal distance. About 200 yards. First rides of the year are a rollercoaster!

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.

Jabs posted:

What really did me in, though, was riding Bunway Airlines' DRZ400SM. It was a completely terrifying experience - riding someone else's new-to-her bike, in a borrowed helmet and gloves that I barely fit into, only my regular leather jacket for abrasion protection, in a strange town, downtown, at night, with WAY more horsepower and torque immediately on tap than you're used to, not having ridden more than 5 miles in almost 5 months, topped off with not having 1000 miles total logged.
Yeah. Terrifying.
But holy gently caress - 6 blocks was enough.

I gotta laugh, though. I made some crack about all the guys here who buy a Ninja 250, ride it for 250 miles/a few months, then want to sell and 'upgrade'. :facepalm:

The funny thing is: It has way less power than your BMW did. Feels like a monster, because it's light and it pulls real nice, but way less raw acceleration.

Next time you come out, if I still have it, I'll slap you on the back of the ZZR and take you for a spin. :v:

Arcteryx Anarchist
Sep 15, 2007

Fun Shoe
I was cold :ohdear: ~39-40*F

It was pretty short trip just to get back in the saddle and inflate the tires a bit, put the liners back in my jacket/pants and pulled on the balaclava. The only parts that were cold really were my forehead and under my chin :( I guess it didn't help that I couldn't put the visor on all the way without it fogging into oblivion.

My neighborhood/side-streets are like a beach right now :(

Gnomad
Aug 12, 2008
I like to do a yearly teardown, clean, fluff and buff.

Scrapez
Feb 27, 2004

I replaced the chrome exhaust on my bike with a black exhaust and better slip-ons.

I have a Harley so I'm pretty sure I'm doing it wrong. :haw:

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

You don't need style when you've got strength!

Cleaned the garage and parked the bikes :( Florida for a week and I was offered free plane tickets, I am going to miss riding.

schreibs
Oct 11, 2009

NitroSpazzz posted:

Cleaned the garage and parked the bikes :( Florida for a week and I was offered free plane tickets, I am going to miss riding.

Carry on Ride on luggage

Mathturbator
Oct 12, 2004
Funny original quote

Scrapez posted:

I replaced the chrome exhaust on my bike with a black exhaust and better slip-ons.

I like your attitude

Doctor Zero
Sep 21, 2002

Would you like a jelly baby?
It's been in my pocket through 4 regenerations,
but it's still good.

Scrapez posted:

Nope, you are doing it completely right.

Well, except for the lack of pictures. :colbert:

Scrapez
Feb 27, 2004

Doctor Zero posted:

Nope, you are doing it completely right.

Well, except for the lack of pictures. :colbert:

Picture of dirty bike in front of dirty truck in a dirty garage containing a dirty boat taken with a crappy camera. ENJOY! :)

Have new wheels being powdercoated now and a bunch of other black parts to be put on once I have the time. Should look pretty cool once I'm done.

the walkin dude
Oct 27, 2004

powerfully erect.
I finally put my ex250 on a trailer and drove it to a shop. It needs carbs cleaned, and to be put back into running shape. Stuff that I can't afford to do by myself at the moment.

Click here for the full 599x800 image.

It should be done next week. Then I can ride the little fucker again. I'm sick of riding solely my EX500.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arcteryx Anarchist
Sep 15, 2007

Fun Shoe
Roommates :argh: