Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Coredump
Dec 1, 2002

Linedance posted:

Does it have to be a V-twin?

Not at all. :swoon:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

Z3n posted:

No one's disagreeing that some handle better than others, the point is that when you say "I want to corner/go fast" and "I want a cruiser", those 2 statements are basically mutually exclusive if you compare them to any other non-cruiser made.

Hmm, apples oranges and stuff. You're misinterpreting "handles well" with "goes around corners fast", which to you might make sense. But there are plenty of bikes that go around corners mightily fast that can't handle in city traffic worth a drat compared to a typical commuter scoot. So a scooter handles better than a supersport? Maybe, depends on context.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.

The CX500 in stock form is a standard. And it's a pretty lovely handling standard at that. I should know, I owned one. It was fun, in it's own sort of bumbly little way, but it wasn't a "performance motorcycle"...and that guy's demonstration of it's fantastic, 40 foot wide turning radius isn't doing it any favors.

Here's a motorcycle that can corner and is a standard.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gTO2s7wyrFs

You could put crazy pegs on it and bars that pulled back to your balls and it'd out handle any cruiser out there. You'd look like a moron on it, but that's subjective anyways, we're all just fags dancing around in leather suits anyways.

I don't know what you're trying to prove here.

Depending on how you stretch it, you can make a bike that can corner have "relaxed ergos", depending on your definition, or you can have relaxed ergos, and have it not be a cruiser. Which is, again, why I asked what your definition of "relaxed" is. The BMW might fall under that catagory, it might still not resemble a lazy boy enough to make the purists happy.

VTNewb, your bike has all the trick parts but they're set up pretty funny for cornering, stock ;)

Z3n fucked around with this message at 00:32 on Mar 16, 2010

shacked up with Brenda
Mar 8, 2007

Z3n posted:

VTNewb, your bike has all the trick parts but they're set up pretty funny for cornering, stock ;)

Oh for sure, but it's pretty hard to beat as a baseline if you're in the 3-4g price range. They just don't make em like that anywhere, even Harley anymore.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.

VTNewb posted:

Oh for sure, but it's pretty hard to beat as a baseline if you're in the 3-4g price range. They just don't make em like that anywhere, even Harley anymore.

Absolutely. Plus when you build one up they look fantastic...

Linedance posted:

Hmm, apples oranges and stuff. You're misinterpreting "handles well" with "goes around corners fast", which to you might make sense. But there are plenty of bikes that go around corners mightily fast that can't handle in city traffic worth a drat compared to a typical commuter scoot. So a scooter handles better than a supersport? Maybe, depends on context.

In what context does a cruiser "handle well", compared to anything? Scooters/sumos outhandle them in the city, sportbikes or standards will destroy them down a twisty road. In fact, the thing that they're best at is slowing down, thanks to a long wheelbase and very favorable weight distribution. But that's about it. Which is why when someone says "I want a good handling cruiser", mass confusion and flame wars result. The whole thing about cruisers is their relaxed steering geometry, low seats, and foot forward relaxed ergos. Those things aren't conducive to good handling.

Z3n fucked around with this message at 00:43 on Mar 16, 2010

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

Z3n posted:

Here's a motorcycle that can corner and is a standard.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gTO2s7wyrFs

putting wider bars on an otherwise normal VFR400 doesn't make it a standard any more than putting crazy pegs and ball bars on it would make it a cruiser :colbert:

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

Z3n posted:

Absolutely. Plus when you build one up they look fantastic...

What context does a cruiser "handle well", compared to anything, in? Scooters/sumos outhandle them in the city, sportbikes or standards will destroy them down a twisty road. In fact, the thing that they're best at is slowing down, thanks to a long wheelbase and very favorable weight distribution. But that's about it. Which is why when someone says "I want a good handling cruiser", mass confusion and flame wars result.

imagine choosing a Rolls Royce over a Maybach because it handles better. Now imagine having the kind of money where it's a legitimate decision...... Sorry, lost track for a moment there.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

^^ And how would you know that you prefered the superior driving experience of the maybach? You'd go drive be chaffered around in one. That's why he needs to go ride the bikes. Cruisers are even more subjective than sportbikes, and that's a pretty impressive feat...after all, there's no quarter second split in laptimes to fap over with a cruiser. That'd be a great way to solve this debate though. All out on the track on cruisers, scraping pipes and everything!

Linedance posted:

putting wider bars on an otherwise normal VFR400 doesn't make it a standard any more than putting crazy pegs and ball bars on it would make it a cruiser :colbert:

It doesn't have bars, it has clipons. :colbert:

Zool
Mar 21, 2005

The motard rap
for all my riders
at the track
Dirt hardpacked
corner workers better
step back

Z3n posted:

In fact, the thing that they're best at is slowing down, thanks to a long wheelbase and very favorable weight distribution.

They handle roads like this one better than any other type of bike out there.

Zool fucked around with this message at 03:31 on Mar 16, 2010

Coredump
Dec 1, 2002

Z3n posted:

:words:

I was trying to bow out of the conversation and post a funny picture and video in the picture and video thread. But I guess you missed it. You're kinda like the terminator of arguers though.

Listen, and understand. Z3n is out there. He can't be bargained with. He can't be reasoned with. He doesn't feel pity, or remorse, or fear. And he absolutely will not stop, ever, until he gets the last word in.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Shot of the Bandit in basically pitch black. Click to embiggen

cmorrow001
Feb 22, 2003
apparently I shouldn't ask about pirating Windows
Man I remember when this thread was fun, and about pictures and videos.

Pics of most of my bikes in order of owning them.

Click here for the full 1280x960 image.

Click here for the full 1280x960 image.

Click here for the full 1536x1152 image.

Click here for the full 1229x922 image.

and 2 current

Click here for the full 604x453 image.

Click here for the full 626x825 image.

Slim Pickens
Jan 12, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Here's a pretty cool bike.

The best part is the engine. It's a mid 70s Honda CB550, the transmission is a BMW 4 speed R75 gear set in a Cook modified BMW R25 3 speed case with a Yamaha Virago shaft drive assembly. Might not wanna take it out at night, though.

http://thekneeslider.com/archives/2010/03/10/rambler-inline-4-from-cook-customs/#comments

Slim Pickens fucked around with this message at 04:04 on Mar 16, 2010

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

Here's the new Bimota Moto2 bike:

I think it's pretty loving kickass. The exhaust is bizarre but I love it.

Z3n fucked around with this message at 06:06 on Mar 16, 2010

Slim Pickens
Jan 12, 2007

Grimey Drawer
No hub-steering? I was really looking forward to that from bimota. :(

Rnr
Sep 5, 2003

some sort of irredeemable trash person

Coredump posted:

I was trying to bow out of the conversation and post a funny picture and video in the picture and video thread. But I guess you missed it. You're kinda like the terminator of arguers though.

Listen, and understand. Z3n is out there. He can't be bargained with. He can't be reasoned with. He doesn't feel pity, or remorse, or fear. And he absolutely will not stop, ever, until he gets the last word in.

A couple of months ago Zen contradicted himself (about average street dude using the full potential of a modern super bike) and spent 8000 words arguing with himself. One could only back away in abject terror. True story.

RSV4 in Alitalia livery:

eggyolk
Nov 8, 2007

Does anyone have that link to a thread on another forum made by a Japanese man who was putting together a ridiculously detailed model of a Rossi bike? My senior design class is putting together 1/3 scale models of our bike designs and that would be some awesome inspiration.

ranathari
May 26, 2006

by elpintogrande

Slim Pickens posted:

No hub-steering? I was really looking forward to that from bimota. :(

Apparently Bimota doesn't actually have any hub steering guys, they just contracted Vyrus to design it for them.

In any event, I strongly suspect there will be a hub-centre steered bike in Moto2 at some point.

2ndclasscitizen
Jan 2, 2009

by Y Kant Ozma Post

ranathari posted:

Apparently Bimota doesn't actually have any hub steering guys, they just contracted Vyrus to design it for them.

No, Bimota do their own design. The guy who came up with the Tesi started Vyrus.

Doctor Zero
Sep 21, 2002

Would you like a jelly baby?
It's been in my pocket through 4 regenerations,
but it's still good.

Z3n posted:

No one's disagreeing that some handle better than others, the point is that when you say "I want to corner/go fast" and "I want a cruiser", those 2 statements are basically mutually exclusive if you compare them to any other non-cruiser made.

I grant you cornering ability, but there are fast cruisers. Yes, I know not supersport fast, but not every cruiser's a wallowing pig.

The problem is you keep arguing apples and oranges. You can't just make a blanket statement like "cruisers don't handle well" and then assume that "...compared to a sport bike" is understood. I don't think anyone is debating that a cruiser handles like a supersport. There are cruisers that handle well enough and are fast enough to get get you in lots of trouble on the street.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

eggyolk posted:

Does anyone have that link to a thread on another forum made by a Japanese man who was putting together a ridiculously detailed model of a Rossi bike? My senior design class is putting together 1/3 scale models of our bike designs and that would be some awesome inspiration.

http://www.mobile01.com/newsdetail.php?id=5933

There's the link, but it looks like the pictures are gone. I don't moonspeak, so I can't figure out if there's a link back to the original thread/blog post.

Rnr posted:

A couple of months ago Zen contradicted himself (about average street dude using the full potential of a modern super bike) and spent 8000 words arguing with himself. One could only back away in abject terror. True story.

I almost starved to death in the process :ohdear:

Doctor Zero posted:

I grant you cornering ability, but there are fast cruisers. Yes, I know not supersport fast, but not every cruiser's a wallowing pig.

The problem is you keep arguing apples and oranges. You can't just make a blanket statement like "cruisers don't handle well" and then assume that "...compared to a sport bike" is understood. I don't think anyone is debating that a cruiser handles like a supersport. There are cruisers that handle well enough and are fast enough to get get you in lots of trouble on the street.

My cruisers "don't handle well" was followed by "You need to ride the bikes" every time. For the third time: You can read what people say on the internet, or what magazines blab about, but honestly, a lot of those guys can't ride for poo poo. And then couple it with something that's already very subjective, and a lot of magazine reviews aren't worth much more than entertainment. Bikes that other people think handle great I think handle like poo poo. You can't get an idea of if a bike handles or not from just looking at a bunch of magazine reviews. Just call in, arrange a test ride, and see what you think.

And anything with 2 wheels is fast enough to get you in trouble on the street. I've gotten into trouble on my bicycle on the street...or the CB200.

Anyways, on to more video. Here's a video of Eddie Lawson and Ben Spies talking about what it's like to be a badass racer, training, riding a 500 etc.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1Vw_xRy-u-g

Z3n fucked around with this message at 17:16 on Mar 16, 2010

Doctor Zero
Sep 21, 2002

but it's still good.

Z3n posted:

My cruisers "don't handle well" was followed by "You need to ride the bikes" every time.

Yeah, I looked back, and it was Phat_Albert that actually said if you want a bike with good handling, don't buy a cruiser. :smug:

phat_albert! :argh:

I was about to edit my post, but you already replied so. meh.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

Doctor Zero posted:

Yeah, I looked back, and it was Phat_Albert that actually said if you want a bike with good handling, don't buy a cruiser. :smug:

phat_albert! :argh:

I was about to edit my post, but you already replied so. meh.

Hey I've got a reputation to maintain here. ;)

The Aprilia Dorsduro Factory:

Click here for the full 1280x875 image.

:hawaaaafap:

Also, still one of my favorite Spies videos:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kiVCbMlXxNM

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

I stand by my statement :smugbert:

I actually dont hate cruisers, but handling discussions should be kept in reference to other cruisers, which is the point I think we all came to anyway.

Doctor Zero
Sep 21, 2002

but it's still good.

^^^ yeah, agreed.

On-topic: New Multistrada pics!

:circlefap:

The bike is awesome too. :haw:

Skier
Apr 24, 2003

Fuck yeah.
Fan of Britches
Unlike the previous bits of snow, this part had ice under it. :doh: Tipped over on the right side, get up just in time to watch my buddy's KLR fall over on him. Perhaps we should wait another couple weeks before taking this road again. :downs:

Only registered members can see post attachments!

GI Joe jobs
Jun 25, 2005

🎅🤜🤛👷

Phat_Albert posted:

Shot of the Bandit in basically pitch black. Click to embiggen

Cool! I saw your night shots in the dork room. You have a point and shoot, right?
___
A friend practicing for the MSF:

It should be animated...

I've had an itch to go explore the fire roads in my area, but I only have a civic. Think if I pull the front seat I can fit an xr100? :v:

VVV Ah... Try increasing the exposure (it's too dark) and adjust the white balance. The composition is good though!

GI Joe jobs fucked around with this message at 22:33 on Mar 16, 2010

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Gullous posted:

Cool! I saw your night shots in the dork room. You have a point and shoot, right?

Nope, Canon XS DSLR, I just dont know how to use it very well yet :(

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Doctor Zero posted:

^^^ yeah, agreed.

On-topic: New Multistrada pics!

:circlefap:

The bike is awesome too. :haw:
The Ducati booth babes at the Washington Bike Show weren't nearly that hot. I mostly wanted them to eat a few sandwiches. :(

This was, thankfully, balanced by the Fiat ladies at the Auto Show a couple weeks later who were simply stunning.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

Skier posted:

Unlike the previous bits of snow, this part had ice under it. :doh: Tipped over on the right side, get up just in time to watch my buddy's KLR fall over on him. Perhaps we should wait another couple weeks before taking this road again. :downs:

Not pictured: Getting stuck, people stopping thinking that I had crashed.

Managed to (barely) make it out upright though. With some help.

TheCosmicMuffet
Jun 21, 2009

by Shine
I've been meaning to ask. Those saddle bags look *so* good. How much did they cost?

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

TheCosmicMuffet posted:

I've been meaning to ask. Those saddle bags look *so* good. How much did they cost?

The bike came with them...they're corbin beetlebags, no longer made, I don't think, and they run ~1800$ new.

I'm still, after 8k of riding the bike, undecided on how they look. Sometimes they look great, sometimes they just look...strange.

Gnaghi
Jan 25, 2008

Is this a good first bike?
You know what they say...black makes you look thinner. :D

TheCosmicMuffet
Jun 21, 2009

by Shine

Z3n posted:

I'm still, after 8k of riding the bike, undecided on how they look. Sometimes they look great, sometimes they just look...strange.

Strange is great.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Chill_Bebop
Jun 20, 2007

Waffle SS
ZL600s and ZL900s were the coolest Cruisers.

"Lets shove a Ninja Motor in a cruiser!" is way better than Harleys idea of "Lets shove a Cruiser motor in a Sportbike"

Stratoliners are cool with all the poo poo removed.

Iron 883s and the XR1200 are probably the only Harley's I'd ever buy. I dont care that its basically a Sportster Nightster or anything, its simple and black and no bullshit, and I wish the bagger thing would die already.

Arcteryx Anarchist
Sep 15, 2007

Fun Shoe
A lot of Harley guys make fun of me for liking Sportsters/Dynas :(

Slim Pickens
Jan 12, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Harley riders are the worst bike snobs of all, though. They'd rather just ride their bikes into obscurity then accept anything new or different.

Phat_Albert posted:

Nope, Canon XS DSLR, I just dont know how to use it very well yet :(

There's some good books on understanding photography better. Check the newbie dslr thread in CC for some tips. In short, though, put your camera on a tripod, your bike under a street light, then set the camera to manual and adjust shutter speed until the exposure indicator lines up(or go one half-step over, my preference). It'll probably be open up between 2 to 25 seconds depending on ISO, but night photography is fun and looks awesome.

Click here for the full 1000x667 image.

No bike pics yet, but I'm gonna change that on spring break hopefully.

Slim Pickens fucked around with this message at 04:08 on Mar 17, 2010

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

You don't need style when you've got strength!

Slim Pickens posted:

Ok that is a beautiful bike. Would love to build something like that smooth lines, simple design and almost everything visible

4/20 NEVER FORGET
Dec 2, 2002

NEVER FORGET OK
Fun Shoe

My bike gets to live inside for the next couple weeks while I repair the ignition lock after an attempted theft. I got some funny looks pushing this thing onto the maintenance elevator. (I live in a 20th floor apartment)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ReelBigLizard
Feb 27, 2003

Fallen Rib
Just caught this on the KTM.com front page, looks like they are going to reveal the electric dirt bike they have been developing.

AND a 'Leccy Sumo?! :aaa: