Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Weebay
Apr 8, 2008

Reality is a question of perspective; the further you get from the past, the more concrete and plausible it seems - but as you approach the present, it inevitably seems incredible.

First Time Caller posted:

I played this game for Windows 3.1, it was semi educational i think?

I remember some crazy white haired mad scientist or some poo poo, and you helped him test and build poo poo. I remember something about a big zeppelin. gently caress I wish I could provide more.

The Island of Dr. Brain?

Scanned through the thread and didn't see an answer to this one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

buildmorefarms
Aug 13, 2004

любоваться
Doctor Rope
A long-shot, no chance of working this one out, etc etc!

I played this game in primary(elementary?) school way back in 1992, though it was probably around a few years prior (because I can't imagine the school was cutting edge - country town!). I'm pretty sure the system was one of those 'the computer is part of the keyboard' deals, which was connected to an enormous screen which was probably just a TV in disguise.

The aim (i think?) was to successfully sail to an island which had something of value on it - maybe fossils or something? But prior to making the journey, you had to research the weather in order to plot a course, and i think you could also visit a library, a cave (maybe!?) and a shop for provisions or something like that. As I (and my classmates) were fundamentally retarded at that age, we never actually got to the island because the weather/tide changed with each game and we always crashed on the rocks.

The game was extremely primitive graphically - probably 16 colours/CGA at best. It might have had an educational leaning, if only stressing doing things in logical order.The game's UI was pretty much bottom-third text/options, with the middle/top thirds of the screen used for rudimentary graphics.

I wish I could remember more, this is reaching back almost 20 years though :(

Saint Septimus
Dec 9, 2005

LastCaress posted:

I am looking for a relatively old game (not that old I guess 97-2005?) where the player is in charge of running a videogame company. It's in windows and as far as I can remember all text, and the player can develop games (game engines and then games) and the hardware itself for the games. Kind of like Game Tycoon buy better, and with more text instead of graphics. It's done buy a small company/individual guy or something, probably only available to purchase on the internet.

Thanks!

GameBiz or GameBiz 2.

bastardInABasket
May 22, 2001
Fun Shoe
This isn't really a game, but something that was popular a while back. I'm trying to find the youtube clip of some guy freaking out over losing some weapon in a mmorpg. All I remember was that it wasn't world of warcraft. I think the weapon was named something-song. The clip might have been audio only.

Roadside Attraction
Dec 26, 2009
Game on the NES.

It was a space shooter, and you moved your ship circular, basically like a blender. You visited each planet, played through two stages ( I think) then you fight a boss. I remember the boss of earth being three spaceships.

Cant remember the loving name and it's been driving me mad for about 3 years.

ponzicar
Mar 17, 2008

Roadside Attraction posted:

Game on the NES.

It was a space shooter, and you moved your ship circular, basically like a blender. You visited each planet, played through two stages ( I think) then you fight a boss. I remember the boss of earth being three spaceships.

Cant remember the loving name and it's been driving me mad for about 3 years.

Sounds like Gyruss.

LastCaress
May 8, 2004

bonobo

Saint Septimus posted:

GameBiz or GameBiz 2.

That's the one! Thanks!

Malloc Voidstar
May 7, 2007

Fuck the cowboys. Unf. Fuck em hard.
Looking for a Mac game. Probably OS 8 or 9.

Bunch of robots on a... grid thing? You needed to get robots to build up these pylon things in order to extend your "territory". Played against like 3 enemy AIs I think.

Oddx
Sep 9, 2005

I have vague memories of an NES game that was a sort of hybrid driving/shooting game. You drove a car from a top-down viewpoint and may have had weapons. There also may have been boss segments. My memory of the first level is there is a portion where you're driving on a bridge over a a river or lake. Anyone know what this is? I could be remembering it all wrong but I know it exists!

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob

Oddx posted:

I have vague memories of an NES game that was a sort of hybrid driving/shooting game. You drove a car from a top-down viewpoint and may have had weapons. There also may have been boss segments. My memory of the first level is there is a portion where you're driving on a bridge over a a river or lake. Anyone know what this is? I could be remembering it all wrong but I know it exists!
I think this is too vague and could be a huge number of games, but see if it's Jackal.

goodog
Nov 3, 2007

The one I'm thinking of is a top-down shooter in the vein of Zombies Ate My Neighbours but more like Contra in theme (beefy dudes shooting monsters), made around the SNES era. It looked arcadey in nature and you could play coop I think I remember one or most of the levels took place in a jungle/swamp type area.

I know I'm not making it up because I saw a 2 second glimpse of it in the intro credits of a Angry Video Game Nerd episode (or one of his imitators). Unfortunatly I can't remember which video cause that would make it so much easier.

Dr_Amazing
Apr 15, 2006

It's a long story

E30User posted:

This isn't really a game, but something that was popular a while back. I'm trying to find the youtube clip of some guy freaking out over losing some weapon in a mmorpg. All I remember was that it wasn't world of warcraft. I think the weapon was named something-song. The clip might have been audio only.

Type "cloud song" into youtube.

Dr_Amazing
Apr 15, 2006

It's a long story

El Negocio posted:

The one I'm thinking of is a top-down shooter in the vein of Zombies Ate My Neighbours but more like Contra in theme (beefy dudes shooting monsters), made around the SNES era. It looked arcadey in nature and you could play coop I think I remember one or most of the levels took place in a jungle/swamp type area.

I know I'm not making it up because I saw a 2 second glimpse of it in the intro credits of a Angry Video Game Nerd episode (or one of his imitators). Unfortunatly I can't remember which video cause that would make it so much easier.

This might be "Total Carnage"

Bart Fargo
Mar 24, 2005

Il Raggio Infernale

Oddx posted:

If it's not Jackal try Ikari Warriors.

Jesto
Dec 22, 2004

Balls.
Nevermind.

Jesto fucked around with this message at 17:30 on Jul 30, 2014

RhymesWithTendon
Oct 12, 2000

Oddx posted:

I have vague memories of an NES game that was a sort of hybrid driving/shooting game. You drove a car from a top-down viewpoint and may have had weapons.
To throw out another game that vaguely matches the description, maybe Spy Hunter.

chairface
Oct 28, 2007

No matter what you believe, I don't believe in you.

El Negocio posted:

Did it have multiple playable characters who had actually different weapons? One of them being a mad scientist type with a lightning gun?

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters

chairface posted:

Did it have multiple playable characters who had actually different weapons? One of them being a mad scientist type with a lightning gun?

If it's not that (I can't quite remember the name of that, but I know what you're talking about), it might be Total Carnage, though I don't think it's as swamp-oriented as what chairface is suggesting.

Jesto
Dec 22, 2004

Balls.
Nevermind.

Jesto fucked around with this message at 17:30 on Jul 30, 2014

Dark Kindness
Oct 13, 2004
It had been strange, even in a dream,
To have seen those dead men rise.
I'm trying to think of an NES game. It was a side scroller where you were a spaceman in a yellow suit. The first part of the level consisted of an R-Typeish shooting game and the second part was more like a platformer after you got off your little ship. The levels were like big space stations and you flew in, blew up the reactor and then had to escape. Pretty sure the title was just one word.

Plinth
Nov 28, 2004

Archons of Athens!

Dark Kindness posted:

I'm trying to think of an NES game. It was a side scroller where you were a spaceman in a yellow suit. The first part of the level consisted of an R-Typeish shooting game and the second part was more like a platformer after you got off your little ship. The levels were like big space stations and you flew in, blew up the reactor and then had to escape. Pretty sure the title was just one word.

Air Fortress.

Mug
Apr 26, 2005

Jesto posted:

Back on the Playstation 1 I briefly played a game that's popped into my head of recently, but I can't remember too much about it.

From what I remember, it had the same sort of view as the Age of Empires series, not sure what that's called.

You were this guy and had to complete all sorts of in-game objectives from level to level, mostly rescuing hostages or meeting up with intelligence operatives, or killing a certain target. You could operate vehicles like a motorcycle, a helicoptor or a tank in some of the levels I think.

I know that sounds terribly vague, but does it sound familiar to anyone else? :(

Uh, maybe Syndicate Wars, if you're potentially mis-remembering a few details.

Dark Kindness
Oct 13, 2004
It had been strange, even in a dream,
To have seen those dead men rise.

Plinth posted:

Air Fortress.

Awesome! Thank you so much. It's like my 5th birthday all over again.

Oddx
Sep 9, 2005

Connellingus posted:

To throw out another game that vaguely matches the description, maybe Spy Hunter.

This is it, Super Spy Hunter!! Thanks, I can finally sleep at night. :woop:

These Loving Eyes
Jun 6, 2009

chairface posted:

If it's this, it's The Chaos Engine:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M2685TvfjiI

qwing
May 7, 2008
This has been bugging me for ages. I'm thinking of.. well.. i'm almost positive it was a NES game. I think it was a 'beat-em up' but you had a party system where you could swap around characters. Anyway, you get to a point where you fight this badass ninja dressed in all white. You defeat him and he becomes a playable character.

That's all i got. This ninja dude has been burned into my mind.

qwing fucked around with this message at 00:55 on Mar 17, 2010

al-azad
May 28, 2009

qwing posted:

This has been bugging me for ages. I'm thinking of.. well.. i'm almost positive it was a NES game. I think it was a 'beat-em up' but you had a party system where you could swap around characters. Anyway, you get to a point where you fight this badass ninja dressed in all white. You defeat him and he becomes a playable character.

That's all i got. This ninja dude has been burned into my mind.

Probably that shitpile Double Dragon 3.

chairface
Oct 28, 2007

No matter what you believe, I don't believe in you.

These Loving Eyes posted:

Ah good, I remembered the game but not the title. Hopefully that's it anyway.

EDIT: vvvvvvvvvvvv That's loving teamwork.

chairface fucked around with this message at 04:14 on Mar 17, 2010

goodog
Nov 3, 2007

These Loving Eyes posted:

Yeah thats the one. Thank you so much.

32-bit Siren
Mar 21, 2009

Thank you for this! There is a game I have been trying to remember the name of FOREVER.

It was an early fighter for the playstation. The characters were all monsters. There was a mummy, Frankensteins monster, a gorgon, an evil fairy, maybe a werewolf too but I can't remember.

Any help would be great. Does anyone remember the name of this game?

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Iron & Blood - Warriors of Ravenloft

Tsampikos
May 4, 2009
I can't remember what I'm pretty sure is something like a flash game. It's a puzzle game where you wake up in this room on some sort of space station and try find a way out, progressing through till' you learn you're a clone or something. It annoys me that I can't remember anything more.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

32-bit Siren posted:

Thank you for this! There is a game I have been trying to remember the name of FOREVER.

It was an early fighter for the playstation. The characters were all monsters. There was a mummy, Frankensteins monster, a gorgon, an evil fairy, maybe a werewolf too but I can't remember.

Any help would be great. Does anyone remember the name of this game?

Iron & Blood is not a bad guess but this games is definitely Killing Zone:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=17SmWcnSajQ

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Yeah, you're right. I totally forgot that game ever existed.

32-bit Siren
Mar 21, 2009

Neo Rasa posted:

Iron & Blood is not a bad guess but this games is definitely Killing Zone:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=17SmWcnSajQ

Wow, thanks! That's exactly what I was looking for. I have been trying to figure out if that game was just a fever dream or really existed for the longest time. Looking back on it though, it's definitely not as cool as I remember.

Seriously though, thanks! That's awesome.

Genpei Turtle
Jul 20, 2007

This was a game from fairly recently I think, maybe PS2 or Xbox. I think it was a 3rd-person action game. I only remember this one level which was going into a castle and climbing a long staircase into a round arena room where doors open and you have to fight waves of different types of enemies. Eventually you clear out the arena and climb another staircase and I think there were hundreds of archers up there all trying to shoot you. I guess since there were archers maybe it was a fantasy/medieval themed game? Or maybe they were gunners? Large numbers of people with hand-held projectile weapons at least.

To be honest I'm not even sure this game even exists, I just have distinct memories of this one area and am trying to remember what if anything it was. Not much to go on, I know.

Yoya
Nov 6, 2009

I already bought the chicken

Tsampikos posted:

I can't remember what I'm pretty sure is something like a flash game. It's a puzzle game where you wake up in this room on some sort of space station and try find a way out, progressing through till' you learn you're a clone or something. It annoys me that I can't remember anything more.

I think the SHIFT games sort of fit this, but I can't remember if you find out you're a clone.

Pseudohog
Apr 4, 2007

Genpei Turtle posted:

This was a game from fairly recently I think, maybe PS2 or Xbox. I think it was a 3rd-person action game. I only remember this one level which was going into a castle and climbing a long staircase into a round arena room where doors open and you have to fight waves of different types of enemies. Eventually you clear out the arena and climb another staircase and I think there were hundreds of archers up there all trying to shoot you. I guess since there were archers maybe it was a fantasy/medieval themed game? Or maybe they were gunners? Large numbers of people with hand-held projectile weapons at least.

To be honest I'm not even sure this game even exists, I just have distinct memories of this one area and am trying to remember what if anything it was. Not much to go on, I know.

Maybe Enclave? That's an Xbox fantasy 3rd person action game, and there's lots of times in that when you have to fight off waves of enemies.

Yaos
Feb 22, 2003

She is a cat of significant gravy.
I just thought of one I played a long time ago on the PC. I think it was released in 1994, on CD. It was a 3D fighter jet game, the intro movie had two jets chasing each other, one would go straight up and the one chasing would fly past it and the one being chased would be the chaser. There were mission briefings, and I remember one mission had you trying to shoot down a plane carrying some nerve gas. If you failed a pre-rendered video of a bomb dropping and greenish gas covering a couple of poorly rendered houses. It also supported multi-player. If I recall correctly, the gameplay itself was pretty bad and not very fun. I just can't get it out of my head.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Twitch
Apr 15, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Yaos posted:

I just thought of one I played a long time ago on the PC. I think it was released in 1994, on CD. It was a 3D fighter jet game, the intro movie had two jets chasing each other, one would go straight up and the one chasing would fly past it and the one being chased would be the chaser. There were mission briefings, and I remember one mission had you trying to shoot down a plane carrying some nerve gas. If you failed a pre-rendered video of a bomb dropping and greenish gas covering a couple of poorly rendered houses. It also supported multi-player. If I recall correctly, the gameplay itself was pretty bad and not very fun. I just can't get it out of my head.

A real shot in the dark here (haven't played the game in at least 13-15 years) but could you be thinking of Strike Commander?