Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Scarboy
Jan 31, 2001

Good Luck!

orange lime posted:

Photoshop has a script language? Like, better than just recording actions?

:psyduck:

This could change my life.

Yeah, it literally is javascript. You can do pretty much anything you'd ever want to do with photoshop with it.

Sometimes you won't be able to figure out how to do a specify action. You can just enable an extension that will spit out javascript for every single thing you do into a file and just copy it from there into your script. I've made some neat stuff with it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheFuglyStik
Mar 7, 2003

Attention-starved & smugly condescending, the hipster has been deemed by
top scientists as:
"The self-important, unemployable clowns of the modern age."

Scarboy posted:

Yeah, it literally is javascript. You can do pretty much anything you'd ever want to do with photoshop with it.

Sometimes you won't be able to figure out how to do a specify action. You can just enable an extension that will spit out javascript for every single thing you do into a file and just copy it from there into your script. I've made some neat stuff with it.

:psyboom::hf::circlefap:

I've been using Photoshop almost daily since Photoshop 6, and I've never heard of this. Time to dust off the old web design part of my brain and learn some new tricks.

notlodar
Sep 11, 2001

TheFuglyStik posted:

They're very common, especially when you've had surgery for a detached retina like I have. :( http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Floater

I just find it odd to see something like them show up in bokeh.
i have a bunch of floaters i forgot about until now, are they going to kill me?? they have been there for as long as i can remember and they make looking at the sky fun :cool:

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

brad industry posted:

There has to be a way to do that in Lightroom, I know you can add a watermark when you export but I don't know about the border.
You can't customize anything about the watermark though. The Mogrify plug-in will do what you want. Bit of a pain to set up, but it works well enough.

psylent
Nov 29, 2000

Pillbug
Speaking of which, I just got it set up and working. £5 donation sent to the author.

germskr
Oct 23, 2007

HAHAHA! Ahh Eeeee BPOOF!
drat, I should get some kind of commission. :v:

InternetJunky
May 25, 2002

I'm a beginner, so this is probably a beginner mistake, but I've been having a lot of problem with aperture priority mode on my camera.

In full automatic mode my camera was taking a picture at f/4 and shutter at 1/60 second (using a Canon Speedlite flash if that matters). If I put it in aperture priority mode and f/1.8 the camera takes the picture with a shutter speed of 1/10 second. Focus is manual and unchanged between pictures, and ISO was 400 for both.

Why is my camera choosing such a slow shutter speed when I'm in aperture priority mode? None of the pictures turned out at all. :(

TheAngryDrunk
Jan 31, 2003

"I don't know why I know that; I took four years of Spanish."

InternetJunky posted:

I'm a beginner, so this is probably a beginner mistake, but I've been having a lot of problem with aperture priority mode on my camera.

In full automatic mode my camera was taking a picture at f/4 and shutter at 1/60 second (using a Canon Speedlite flash if that matters). If I put it in aperture priority mode and f/1.8 the camera takes the picture with a shutter speed of 1/10 second. Focus is manual and unchanged between pictures, and ISO was 400 for both.

Why is my camera choosing such a slow shutter speed when I'm in aperture priority mode? None of the pictures turned out at all. :(

The reason you were able to get 1/60 before is because of your flash. In AV mode, your flash isn't on by default. You can turn it on and that should give you a faster shutter speed.

edit: Or you can bump up your ISO.

TheAngryDrunk fucked around with this message at 07:38 on Mar 13, 2010

InternetJunky
May 25, 2002

TheAngryDrunk posted:

The reason you were able to get 1/60 before is because of your flash. In AV mode, your flash isn't on by default. You can turn it on and that should give you a faster shutter speed.
That's odd...I was pretty sure it was firing. I guess that's the first thing I should have checked. Thanks.

No. 9
Feb 8, 2005

by R. Guyovich
Are there any general tips on getting focus right when shooting couples? I'm having difficulty trying to think of how I'd get both sets of eyes in focus. Am I overthinking the general rule of portraits should be extended for two people?

Rontalvos
Feb 22, 2006

No. 9 posted:

Are there any general tips on getting focus right when shooting couples? I'm having difficulty trying to think of how I'd get both sets of eyes in focus. Am I overthinking the general rule of portraits should be extended for two people?

Put them as next-to each other as you can so the eyes are at a similar distance and then stop down the lens a little to increase your depth of field. That's about all you can do.

No. 9
Feb 8, 2005

by R. Guyovich
That's what I figured, thanks! :cheers:

orange lime
Jul 24, 2008

by Fistgrrl

Scarboy posted:

Out of curiosity, could you put together a few sentences explaining how I'd do this? If I can just understand how to run scripts on an image/batch of images and how to get the output of actions I perform, I'll be set.

psylent
Nov 29, 2000

Pillbug
Can anyone explain how Joey L is so successful at such a young age? It boggles my mind.

He is a great photographer, but he must have had some connections to get where he is so quickly.

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
I know you know how to do this.
Get up.

psylent posted:

Can anyone explain how Joey L is so successful at such a young age? It boggles my mind.

He is a great photographer, but he must have had some connections to get where he is so quickly.
Used a trust-fund to travel and meet with photographers and buy a ton of free time/equipment/publicity.

I'd say he made a great use of whatever money was left to him, he's only improving.

Scarboy
Jan 31, 2001

Good Luck!

orange lime posted:

Out of curiosity, could you put together a few sentences explaining how I'd do this? If I can just understand how to run scripts on an image/batch of images and how to get the output of actions I perform, I'll be set.

Here's an example that does nothing that you ask (it's all I have with me right now) http://pastebin.com/qgPKehJn

What it does is output a new cropped png for each letter in each one of those fonts. It was used to generate nice antialiased text for a game I was making on the iPhone. You can use it to get a bit of an understanding of how to do things in the scripting language.

Tomorrow, I'll try to make a small tutorial on how to run some simple actions on a directory of files.

brad industry
May 22, 2004

psylent posted:

Self-financed medium/large production shoots and spent a lot of money marketing the images. If I had a trust fund I'd do the exact same thing.

poopinmymouth
Mar 2, 2005

PROUD 2 B AMERICAN (these colors don't run)

brad industry posted:

Self-financed medium/large production shoots and spent a lot of money marketing the images. If I had a trust fund I'd do the exact same thing.

What's really impressive is he had the foresight and knowledge to do that at 17/18.

psylent
Nov 29, 2000

Pillbug

brad industry posted:

I thought it might be something like that. If I'd been given a shitload of cash at such a young age I'm pretty certain I would have just wasted it on stupid crap.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

I'm wondering if my new Canon 50mm f/1.8 is miscalibrated at infinity focus.

I shot some stars tonight, and they came out blurry. The focus ring was all the way counterclockwise when looking through the viewfinder, which I assume is focused all the way out to infinity.

The shots still came out blurry though. I'm pretty sure the tripod didnt move, as all three shots came out just as blurry.

Hop Pocket
Sep 23, 2003

Phat_Albert posted:

I shot some stars tonight, and they came out blurry. The focus ring was all the way counterclockwise when looking through the viewfinder, which I assume is focused all the way out to infinity.

The shots still came out blurry though. I'm pretty sure the tripod didnt move, as all three shots came out just as blurry.

I've noticed the same thing, always have to manually adjust the focus a bit on multiple lenses when shooting stars / the moon.

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.

Phat_Albert posted:

That assumption is probably incorrect.

Most (all?) lenses have focus just before the focus ring is all the way round.

I'm not completely sure of the true reason (I've heard a few - allowance for IR, lets lens work in extreme temperatures, etc) but you usually need to back off a little to get the right infintiy focus.

The right way to check is to try it in daylight at a distant location.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

So maybe just before the full stop is infinity? I'll give that a shot.

notlodar
Sep 11, 2001

spog posted:

That assumption is probably incorrect.

Most (all?) lenses have focus just before the focus ring is all the way round.

I'm not completely sure of the true reason (I've heard a few - allowance for IR, lets lens work in extreme temperatures, etc) but you usually need to back off a little to get the right infintiy focus.

The right way to check is to try it in daylight at a distant location.
Checking the closest lens to me, this seems to be right. The infinity mark is noted, but there is even more infinity it can go to, and when went to, it matches with the IR dot.

Henchman 21
Apr 3, 2005

HENCH 4 LIFE
I've noticed on all of my lenses that all the way to infinity is usually too far. In fact I think my my 70-200 if I stop at the infinity symbol it is at infinity focus, but I can actually turn past it.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Unfortunately the nifty fifty has no focus markings, so I guess I'll just have to eyeball it.

Ringo R
Dec 25, 2005

ช่วยแม่เฮ็ดนาแหน่เดัอ

Phat_Albert posted:

Unfortunately the nifty fifty has no focus markings, so I guess I'll just have to eyeball it.

You'll see the difference in the viewfinder. You just need to turn it back a tiny, tiny bit, like 2mm.

spog: Temperature is also the reason I've heard for this feature.

Rontalvos
Feb 22, 2006
Astrophotography is the only reason I have ever used live view ever, aside from a few macro shots. That 10x digital zoom allows you to easily see whether you're at infinity focus or not.

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

My office is in the front room of a run-down 12 megapixel sensor but the rent suits me and the landlord doesn't ask many questions.

Dorkroom Short Fiction Champion 2012

Young Orc

Phat_Albert posted:

How long was your exposure? The earth moves so if it was a several second exposure that's why the stars are blurry.

Ration
Dec 3, 2005

My mile could not pump the plumb
How do you get passed your biggest hurdles? I've been trying to get into photography for a month or two and it's hard. My source of information has largely been here, POTN and books. I read books about quality composition and I understand the concept. I look at pictures in PAD and SAD and some are appealing, but the vast majority I just don't get. None of it makes sense. In one of the books by Bryan Peterson, there's a picture of a box of tomatoes. Why is a box of tomatoes important enough to justify a place in the book, or a shutter actuation for that matter. On the other hand, in PAD, I have seen images that truly moved me as a viewer but those are far less than the ones that just make me grab my head and wonder.

Aside from equipment, subject matter and the real act of photography... the concept of what is good and what is bad is broken to me. I understand that it is subjective to a certain degree but when learning, what do you focus on? After reading and reading these random images that are referenced just boggle my mind as to why they are considered good. Do I just disregard these in an attempt to keep my sanity or will my appreciation for those grow with time?

TsarAleksi
Nov 24, 2004

What?
Figure out what you find important, photograph it. There's not much else you can do.

orange lime
Jul 24, 2008

by Fistgrrl

TsarAleksi posted:

Figure out what you find important, photograph it. There's not much else you can do.

Pretty much. I'd add a pile of other adjectives to "important" -- for instance

beautiful
intriguing
moving
suggestive
meaningful
peculiar
surprising

I'm sure you can think of others.

EvilRic
May 18, 2007

come have a nice cup of tea!

Phat_Albert posted:

I had the same issue the other day.

With my kit lens i don't have a range indicator window thing so i was focusing past infinity and had to manually try and focus it back a little by pointing it at some trees and things first.

With my better 50mm 1.4 it has the guide on it so i lined up the marker with the L next to the infinity sign and that was about right.

Once i made sure i was on actual infinity focus and not just the furthest focus point i can turn the lens to, the stars were sharp and even with the longer exposures where they showed movement, you end up with sharp curved lines across the sky not blurs as such.

AIIAZNSK8ER
Dec 8, 2008

Where is your 24-70?

Ration posted:

How do you get passed your biggest hurdles? I've been trying to get into photography for a month or two and it's hard. My source of information has largely been here, POTN and books. I read books about quality composition and I understand the concept. I look at pictures in PAD and SAD and some are appealing, but the vast majority I just don't get. None of it makes sense. In one of the books by Bryan Peterson, there's a picture of a box of tomatoes. Why is a box of tomatoes important enough to justify a place in the book, or a shutter actuation for that matter. On the other hand, in PAD, I have seen images that truly moved me as a viewer but those are far less than the ones that just make me grab my head and wonder.

Aside from equipment, subject matter and the real act of photography... the concept of what is good and what is bad is broken to me. I understand that it is subjective to a certain degree but when learning, what do you focus on? After reading and reading these random images that are referenced just boggle my mind as to why they are considered good. Do I just disregard these in an attempt to keep my sanity or will my appreciation for those grow with time?

Keep at it, are you looking at any photo blogs not about gear or technique? You just have to look at a ton of images. Go through the photo inspiration thread and get the names of some of the photographers mentioned in there and google them. I like finding videos on youtube about their inspiration and thought process.

Ration
Dec 3, 2005

My mile could not pump the plumb

AIIAZNSK8ER posted:

Keep at it, are you looking at any photo blogs not about gear or technique? You just have to look at a ton of images. Go through the photo inspiration thread and get the names of some of the photographers mentioned in there and google them. I like finding videos on youtube about their inspiration and thought process.

Other than PAD and SAD, not really. I glance through a few on POTN, but for the most part I like to keep up with you all here because it just seems more personal. As odd as that is to say about anything here on SA, everyone here seem far more real and more critical. You're not afraid to say that my photo sucked and at this point, I really need it.

Do you have any suggestions?

Edit: I went through the Inspiration thread and bookmarked a boatload of blogs. This is interesting. I will continue to look through them.

Ration fucked around with this message at 13:05 on Mar 16, 2010

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...

Phat_Albert posted:

In daylight, focus on something that is clearly at infinity. Mark that on your lens (use a needle and put a small scratch mark).

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Ration posted:

Of course much of it is subjective, there are people who think the Mona Lisa is ugly, after all.

Much of it has to do with composition, exposure, lighting, the angles and lines involved, and a myriad of other things that dont immediately jump out and make you say "Wow I want a print of that picture of tomatoes", but are pretty universally agreed upon to be the makings of a good photograph.

Perhaps take a look at this: http://www.amazon.com/Photographers-Eye-Composition-Design-Digital/dp/0240809343

It might shed some light on why certain pictures are considered good and aesthetically pleasing.

At the end of the day though, a lot of it boils down to personal preference. I personally like the look of heavily processed images and HDR's, many people despise them. It doesnt mean that either of us are right per-se, just that we feel differently.

Rontalvos posted:

Astrophotography is the only reason I have ever used live view ever, aside from a few macro shots. That 10x digital zoom allows you to easily see whether you're at infinity focus or not.

I'll give this a shot next time I do this, I may be able to get it dialed in with the magnified live view.

Beve Stuscemi fucked around with this message at 14:49 on Mar 16, 2010

squidflakes
Aug 27, 2009

SHORTBUS

Ration posted:

How do you get passed your biggest hurdles?

You've got to first define the hurdle.

When I got back in to photography I made a point of working on the technical parts first. That's what I'm best at so I figured it would take less time.

I'm still working on it, but I'm more comfortable now and able to pay more attention to the message in the photo.

Still, art to you is art to you. Boxes of tomatoes may be boring as gently caress but the treads on a large piece of construction machinery may look like heaven on road wheels. Figure out what you like and photograph it. Photograph it because you like it. gently caress everyone else.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

squidflakes posted:

Figure out what you like and photograph it. Photograph it because you like it. gently caress everyone else.

Really, unless someones paying you to get a certain shot or look, just shoot what you like, and eventually you'll figure out your style and what looks appealing to you.

Photography is like the painting world. Certain paintings can move some people to tears and have no effect on others. Its a very personal thing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
I know you know how to do this.
Get up.

A good way to figure out what themes, elements, styles are interesting or meaningful to you is to see what others have done. Read about photo history.

Also, hahhahah holy poo poo

Only registered members can see post attachments!