Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Marchegiana
Jan 31, 2006

. . . Bitch.

teknicolor posted:

omgomgomg first time ever with a real back yard and I'm very excited! Also, its my first time in zone 7 so I have NO idea when I should start my seeds. I got all seeds this time, though if I have issues with some stuff I guess I can get transplants. :) Got all edibles and herbs, I have about 22 sq ft to work with, fenced in land, still pretty rough and completely untilled but I am excited nonetheless. Any pointers on growing in this zone?

Your best bet would be to look up your last frost date, a site like this one has last frost dates from extension offices all over the country. Last frost dates can still vary by several weeks within a single zone based on local weather patterns, elevation, large bodies of water, etc. General rule of thumb is that your plants that aren't frost-tolerant (such as those in the nightshade or cucurbit families) don't go in the ground until after the last frost date. Plants that can tolerate a light frost (like cruciferae) can go in the ground several weeks before last frost.

I've been in zone 7 for a few years now and I love it a lot. It's pretty much the warmest temperate zone, so you have a huge range of plants that will grow there, everything from cold-hardy plants to subtropicals. There are a whole bunch of things I'm growing here in zone 7 (such as artichokes, figs, and peaches) that I could never even consider growing where I grew up in zone 5 because it was too drat cold, but you still have enough chill hours to be able to grow things like apples that need a dormant period.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

teknicolor
Jul 18, 2004

I Want to Meet That Dad!
Do Da Doo Doo
thanks alot you two these are exactly what I was hoping for, I need to get seeding on some of these :D

Anubis
Oct 9, 2003

It's hard to keep sand out of ears this big.
Fun Shoe

teknicolor posted:

thanks alot you two these are exactly what I was hoping for, I need to get seeding on some of these :D

That first site was a little weird for me, so double check it. It wanted me to have already planted my beans but this past week was the first time it's gotten past 60 here and the ground was still pretty cold.

Just be sure to run sanity checks and listen to your seed bags over the more ballpark figures of the frost dates and you'll be fine.

mischief
Jun 3, 2003

Weird, they're pretty on point for central NC looking over the dates.

Slung Blade
Jul 11, 2002

IN STEEL WE TRUST

loving hell, it says to not even start anything indoors until april here. :smith:

code:
Crop	Start Seeds Indoors	Moon-favorable Dates	Start Seeds in the Ground	Moon-favorable Dates
Beans			Jun 13-27	Jun 13-26
Beets			May 23-Jul 4	May 28-Jun 11
Broccoli	Apr 18-May 2	Apr 18-28	May 23-30	May 23-27
Brussels sprouts	Apr 18-May 2	Apr 18-28		
Cabbage	Apr 18-May 2	Apr 18-28	Jun 6-20	Jun 12-20
Carrots			May 9-23	May 9-12
Cauliflower	Apr 18-May 2	Apr 18-28	Jun 6-20	Jun 12-20
Celery	Apr 18-May 2	Apr 18-28		
Corn			Jun 27-Jul 4	
Cucumbers	May 16-30	May 16-27	Jun 20-27	Jun 20-26
Lettuce	May 2-16	May 13-16	Jun 6-27	Jun 12-26
Melons	May 16-30	May 16-27	Jun 27-Jul 4	
Onion sets			May 16-23	
Parsnips			May 23-Jun 13	May 28-Jun 11
Peas			May 2-16	May 13-16
Peppers	Apr 18-May 2	Apr 18-28		
Potato tubers			Jun 13-27	Jun 27
Pumpkins	May 16-30	May 16-27	Jun 20-27	Jun 20-26
Radishes			Jun 6-20	Jun 6-11
Spinach			May 2-16	May 13-16
Squash, summer	May 16-30	May 16-27	Jun 20-27	Jun 20-26
Squash, winter	May 16-30	May 16-27	Jun 20-27	Jun 20-26
Tomatoes	Apr 18-May 2	Apr 18-28		
But I guess that's good, because I don't move in until april.

kid sinister
Nov 16, 2002
I would just like to pimp my hori-hori again, it is easily the single best gardening purchase that I've ever made.

madlilnerd
Jan 4, 2009

a bush with baggage
My brussel sprouts, they're sprouting! :neckbeard: Had a look at the windowsill this morning and there's a few tiny signs of life.

First year growing brassicas, got it all planned out. The sprouts will go in plot 2, which had leeks and peas in it last year, along with some beetroot. Plot 1 is going to be a salad plot with mange tout, radishes, rocket, perpetual spinach and maybe some little gem lettuces. The idea is that plot 1 will be done with by the time I get to university in September, and plot 2 will be so established by then that I'll only have to pop home every 3rd weekend or so to check up on it.

Plot 3 (up against the fence in the shade), is once again going to be a pollinator plot filled with wildflowers, but I might sow a few marigolds in with my beetroot too.

Chajara
Jan 18, 2005

I added some worms to my little compost bucket on my balcony a few days ago and just checked on them. Despite the chilly nights they've dispersed throughout the bucket and are healthy and squirming. I fed them a bucket of kitchen scraps. Can't wait for my first batch of compost from these guys.

I think I might have planted my tomatoes and cucumbers a little too early for Wisconsin, but to be honest I was expecting to mess up and kill the first batch and have to start a second batch later. They're thriving and I don't know what I'm going to do with them once I have to put them all in pots because I only have 3 grow bulbs and a few square feet of space on top of my fridge where the cats can't go. They can't go outside until the temps are consistently much warmer. I have been hardening off my peas and might plant some spinach outside pretty soon though. :)

Also, I heard the cardinals and a few other birds singing their heads off this morning. Spring is here even if it's not official yet! Just waiting to see a robin now.

El Bano
Mar 30, 2008
I'm starting to try to sprout my tomatos and jalepenos this weekend. I am worried that my spinach won't make it to harvest since we are already having sustained temperatures in the 70s. Hopefully it won't get much warmer over the next 2-3 weeks.

dwoloz
Oct 20, 2004

Uh uh fool, step back

El Bano posted:

I'm starting to try to sprout my tomatos and jalepenos this weekend. I am worried that my spinach won't make it to harvest since we are already having sustained temperatures in the 70s. Hopefully it won't get much warmer over the next 2-3 weeks.

Creating a shade tent should do the trick if heat is an issue

Horatio Gates
Jul 8, 2007

Capitalist pigdogs have the most delicious blood.
Does anyone have any experience growing indeterminate type tomatoes in really large containers, like trash cans? We've started some heirloom tomatoes (Royal Hillbilly, and Weeping Charley)from seed but from what I understand these guys can get really big.

Also this is our garden this year:
Tomatoes (Sungold, Weeping Charley, and Royal Hillbilly)
Hot Peppers
Eggplant (Although I'm afraid I may have started them too late this year)
Summer Squash
Watermelon
Basil
Strawberries
Ground Cherries

Anubis
Oct 9, 2003

Fun Shoe

Horatio Gates posted:

Does anyone have any experience growing indeterminate type tomatoes in really large containers, like trash cans? We've started some heirloom tomatoes (Royal Hillbilly, and Weeping Charley)from seed but from what I understand these guys can get really big.

I've grown indeterminate tomatoes before, they have gotten to be 5-6' tall if you don't pinch them off, which a lot of people don't. Never grown them in a container but you shouldn't need a huge trash can for a single plant. A large flower pot should be plenty big for any tomato plant, just remember to drill holes in the bottom of whatever you end up planting them in, so you don't get water in the bottom and end up with mold and rot growing down at the base and eventually eating your roots.

madlilnerd
Jan 4, 2009

a bush with baggage
As long as tomatoes are adequately supported, they really don't need huge root systems. You can grow them in a small grow bag or flowerpot the size of a 5L bucket and they'll do quite happily. Just carefully monitor their water levels during flowering/fruiting if it gets very hot where you are- there's a whole range of annoying problems associated with patchy watering. You might get blossom end rot where there fruit rots where it's attached to the plant, or splitting which leaves you with scar ridden emo tomatoes.

My peas are sprouting too, hooray. Vegetable garden is go!

mischief
Jun 3, 2003

All of my tomatoes and hot peppers have germinated. The tomatoes are growing like wildfire. Now if I can just get these Jolokia to start I'll be off and running. Spring is really just a better time of year for gardeners. So much expectation!

Zeta Taskforce
Jun 27, 2002

What tomato varieties is everyone growing? I just started 6 kinds on Sunday, three hybrids

Celebrity, reliable main season
Polfast, small, bushy, very early
Sweet Chelsea, a large cherry

and three open pollinated

Black Krim, an old dark Russian Variety
Kellogg Breakfast, a large orange beefstake
Matt’s Wild Cherry, a sprawling vine with lots of tiny fruit

mischief
Jun 3, 2003

I'm going safe this year, only one heirloom.

Better Boy, Rutgers, and Roma, then Brandywine.

Most of my attention is going to be my peppers this year.

Marchegiana
Jan 31, 2006

. . . Bitch.
I'm growing four Bisignano 2 tomatoes from Victory Seed. They're an heirloom open pollinated indeterminate variety. I'd grown them a few years ago and they were fabulous; very productive, medium to large in size with very small seeds, delicious fresh but still makes a great sauce. None of the other tomatoes I'd grown before or since have produced as well or as consistently, so I'm hoping that I'll get a good yield with this one again.

I'm only growing the indeterminates this year because I want to put more of my space towards other crops; even just having 4 tomato plants gives me plenty to use and still share with the neighbors. Of course, I also live in prime tomato growing country (Hanover VA is a huge producer of tomatoes) so that tends to give me an advantage when it comes to tomatoes.

Anubis
Oct 9, 2003

Fun Shoe
On an internet blog recommendation I bought my tomato seeds from johnnyseeds.com this year, I'll let you guys know how it goes with germination and production. I'm growing Big Boys, Celebrity, JTO-99197 Determinate, BHN-665 Determinate and a pack of Early Girl that I bought from the store.

I like always throwing a couple Early Girls in, since they start producing a solid 10-20 days before the others it gives me a warning to potential problems and if like last year the weather starts turning crappy and cold, ruining production, they will have already given me a decent batch to tide me over until the others can recover.

madlilnerd
Jan 4, 2009

a bush with baggage
I usually grow Moneymaker in the ground for full size ones, and Tumbling Tom Thumb in hanging baskets for cherry tomatoes. Last year my crop was terrible though, so I'm taking a break from them as part of my crop rotation plans. I might try another cherry variety in some pots to go with the salad garden I've got planned.

Richard Noggin
Jun 6, 2005
Redneck By Default

Anubis posted:

On an internet blog recommendation I bought my tomato seeds from johnnyseeds.com this year, I'll let you guys know how it goes with germination and production.

I'm a big fan of Johnny's. Most of my seeds come from there.

Alterian
Jan 28, 2003

I'm hoping in about a week or two I'll be able to put together my new raised vegetable box in our yard :woop: Its going to be a 4' x 8' box. Any recommendations for ratios of dirt and other stuff to go in there? The first things in the box are going to be cabbage, onions, beets, and radishes.

Richard Noggin
Jun 6, 2005
Redneck By Default
Just a warning for when you find a source for compost/soil - check the ph before you plant. I had a soil/compost mix delivered last year for my raised beds, and it was too alkaline.

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
I'm definitely going to need to repot the stuff I have in coco pucks right now before I'll have the weather to plant. Thinking the old classic Solo cups. Any reason why I shouldn't? They're easily cut off when done, and cheap.

hepscat
Jan 16, 2005

Avenging Nun
I started germinating seeds indoors last week, and this is the first year I've done so. I'm zone 10 but we had unseasonably cold weather until this week, as it turns out.

Holy smokes, I did not realize the cukes and zuchinni would germinate so quickly. My various lettuces are little sprouts but I'm going to have to transplant the cucumber & zuchinni this weekend.

My husband is supposed to be building me a raised planter. He has all the lumber, but I told him he had a couple of weeks so it's just a pile of lumber still. I guess I'll have to break out some 4" pots.

For soil in the planter, I was thinking of this: http://www.lyngsogarden.com/index.cfm?event=Display.Home.Product&sku=PM&homeCategory=SOILS&categoryid=1090&productId=1282

Does that look appropriate? I've only been gardening two seasons and I still have a lot to learn.

kid sinister
Nov 16, 2002

hepscat posted:

Holy smokes, I did not realize the cukes and zuchinni would germinate so quickly.
Does that look appropriate? I've only been gardening two seasons and I still have a lot to learn.

Wait until you see the full size of a zucchini plant. I would recommend that you only plant 1 zucchini, especially if you live in zone 10. You'll see why.

For a raised bed, I would use either topsoil or what is sold as "garden soil" with maybe some humus or compost. Those are a little more inviting for earthworms. If you really want to split hairs, potting soil is for just that, potted plants. Potting soils tend to be a little more acidic than regular soil because flowers typically like the slightly lower pH.

Marchegiana
Jan 31, 2006

. . . Bitch.
Oh god yes, be careful with zucchini. I love zucchini, but I only plant one plant. Even with a family of four, that one zucchini plant makes us sick of zucchini by about mid-July. I made about a half-dozen loaves of zucchini bread to give away last year, because you try to give a neighbor raw zucchini and they look at you like you're offering them the plague.

Zeta Taskforce
Jun 27, 2002

I don't grow zucchini, or cucumbers for that matter. Once the growing season is in full swing I am never without.

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
I have three happy zucchini plants in my starter tray.

And I'm going to grow them all out.

drat the delicious green torpedoes....

hepscat
Jan 16, 2005

Avenging Nun
Thanks for the warning. I've got 9 plants sprouting there but I offered them up on facebook so I'll probably plant two. We do love zucchini but I guess I went a little overboard. Thanks for the tip on soil, that makes sense.

Anubis
Oct 9, 2003

Fun Shoe
Who was it either last year or the year before that was showing off like 10 zucchini plants he had put in, in his first year gardening? That was a fun couple of pages, with all of us laughing about how he would soon be able to feed a small 3rd world country.

teknicolor
Jul 18, 2004

I Want to Meet That Dad!
Do Da Doo Doo
Pics! I only planted these seeds on Saturday! I think these are bell peppers, either that or spinach.

Can anyone tell me if I should be worried about this, er... moldy sort of thing?

mischief
Jun 3, 2003

Make sure the pots are getting good light and not too much moisture. If you want to let it dry out a little bit that could help, but don't go overboard. I had the grey mold on a few of my coco pots this year and they resolved themselves with some better ventilation and lighting.

Those look like pepper seeds.

teknicolor
Jul 18, 2004

I Want to Meet That Dad!
Do Da Doo Doo
Thanks, the box the pots came in said to keep it dark until seedlings showed up, but I wasn't sure about that so I've been keeping it in the warmest, somewhat-sunny, place possible - the bathroom. Guess I'll move it to the sunroom. :)

One more question, a few of the seed packets say the seeds should be at 75-80*F, but we only keep our house at 68 tops, colder at night. Will that still be ok? Is the variable temp in the house an issue?

kid sinister
Nov 16, 2002
Oh, that's just to help the seeds germinate. You can kind of get around that by using warmer water.

mischief
Jun 3, 2003

We have a programmed thermostat in our house that tops off at a similar temp and seed starting has not been a problem.

Richard Noggin
Jun 6, 2005
Redneck By Default
I think I might have a total failure of my tomato seeds. Out of almost 100 planted, only 8 have germinated. The two week mark is Sunday. These were last year's seeds that I got from a customer of mine. I knew I should have stuck with Johnny's.

kid sinister
Nov 16, 2002
Stick a heating pad under those tomato seeds. They'll germinate MUCH faster.

Zeta Taskforce
Jun 27, 2002

Jonny 290 posted:

I have three happy zucchini plants in my starter tray.

And I'm going to grow them all out.

drat the delicious green torpedoes....

You will be up to your ears in zucchini, but they are fun to grow. Once the hot weather starts, the plants practically explode from the ground; its neat to check them in the morning and then come back at home in the evening and suddenly they are another foot bigger.

When do you intend to transplant them? One mistake over enthusiastic beginners make is to start things too early. Zucchini is usually direct seeded directly in the garden. You can gain a bit of time transplanting them, especially if it is only a few plants, but even then, they grow so fast that you don’t want to more than a few weeks before you intend to transplant them.

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

Jonny 290 posted:

The magazine actually mentions quantity like expect 5-9 bell peppers per plant, 9 artichokes per plant, and a few others of note. With 15 culinary herbs and 20 edibles.

It even tells how to harvest seeds for any plant in use for future seasons, how to store and shelf-lifes.
Artichokes don't tend to put out well in their first year, if at all, to my knowledge.

Kapowski posted:

I've been reading about coffee grounds and tea leaves being good for the soil. Would it just be a case of applying the used leaves to the surface of the soil, or should I properly mix them into the soil when it comes time to transfer the seedlings to bigger pots?
I've got a neighbor who has a really impressive garden of gigantic plants, her compost method is a bit unusual: she takes all of the fallen leaves and cmopost and simply piles it up on top of her raised beds in layers during the off season, and then folds it into the ground when it's time to plant. This has the added bonus of also acting like a mulch cover and helping to keep weeds from coming up.

You need to have the compost break down before you want to fold it into the ground ideally, though. This woman's being using her system for decades and the soil in her beds is the equivalent of crack cocaine for plants at this point. I'd recommend at least getting a wire screen and turning it into a cylinder, and keeping your fallen leaves and grass clippings in that.

kid sinister posted:

I would just like to pimp my hori-hori again, it is easily the single best gardening purchase that I've ever made.
I love mine so much that I'm buying one for my dad for Father's Day.

Horatio Gates posted:

Trash cans are excessive miho, you'd need to punch holes in them for drainage, and they're deep enough that I'd be a bit concerned about the chances of something nasty germinating at the bottom of the can and festering up through the soil, as was mentioned.

I was recently listening to a gardening show where someone asked a similar question about growing stuff in cans, and the host was like "dude, just go buy some regular containers, save the trash cans for TRASH."

I've got some nearby neighbors who do an inverted-grow for their tomatoes, they hang them in five gallon buckets from a crossbeam in their front yard, and tease the plants to grow out through the bottom. They had some pretty impressive fruit on those vines last year, too!

Zeta Taskforce posted:

You will be up to your ears in zucchini, but they are fun to grow. Once the hot weather starts, the plants practically explode from the ground; its neat to check them in the morning and then come back at home in the evening and suddenly they are another foot bigger.

When do you intend to transplant them? One mistake over enthusiastic beginners make is to start things too early. Zucchini is usually direct seeded directly in the garden. You can gain a bit of time transplanting them, especially if it is only a few plants, but even then, they grow so fast that you don’t want to more than a few weeks before you intend to transplant them.
Also, once the zucchini starts getting the size of your arm, they're done. Don't be like my idiot coworkers and bring in giant, hollow squash and leave them in the community area with a sign that says, "FREE FOOD!", because you can't do much with an overgrown zuc except stuff it with rice or something.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zeta Taskforce
Jun 27, 2002

coyo7e posted:

Also, once the zucchini starts getting the size of your arm, they're done. Don't be like my idiot coworkers and bring in giant, hollow squash and leave them in the community area with a sign that says, "FREE FOOD!", because you can't do much with an overgrown zuc except stuff it with rice or something.

I was thinking of watching the plants themselves growing a foot a day. You’re right. Giant zucchini is barely edible, if it was something remotely good as opposed to something you force yourself to use up, grocery stores would sell it. The other reason why you should keep them picked is it extend the season. If you let some grow big, the plant knows it fulfilled its purpose in life, to make lots of seeds, and it will die. Keep it picked, it will frustrate it’s life cycle. The plant will keep growing, keep flowering, keep producing fruit over a much longer period. If it gets away from you, you are probably better off chopping them all off and composting them.