Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

Resize that big picture please Method Loser

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Method Loser
Oct 10, 2001

You Am I posted:

Oh whoops, I didn't even look. Sorry; doing that now.

_firehawk
Sep 12, 2004

You Am I posted:

I am pretty sure the 1990's internet rules about picture size went out the window last year.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

_firehawk posted:

I am pretty sure the 1990's internet rules about picture size went out the window last year.

i'm still working on getting a 2048x1536 monitor

AnomalousBoners
Dec 22, 2007

by Ozma

_firehawk posted:

I run 1280x1024 but I have a buddy list on the right quick launch on the left and a start menu on the bottom

frozenphil
Mar 13, 2003

YOU CANNOT MAKE A MISTAKE SO BIG THAT 80 GRIT CAN'T FIX IT!
:smug:

Method Loser posted:

Here's how it sits now:

Didn't you just get this thing back from the shop? You just keep modding it so you don't have to take it out to Steele and get embarrassed, don't you?

OneZeroSix posted:

I don't get what you're trying to say here. The SUV was $1500 below KBB value, and it's in "immaculate" condition, so yeah I got a great loving deal on it. I didn't fall for the "someone else is coming over to get it" line either; I don't even know where you got that idea from. Someone else was literally there when I went to pick it up trying to pay cash for it, and I sat there while he told him I was there to pick it up.

I'm thoroughly confused by your comparison to Alaska's car market from 8 years ago, too. You're essentially saying you paid more than I did for the same vehicle almost a decade ago when 3.5k bought more than it does now. Typically I wouldn't address a "This guy is happy about something, let's poo poo on him" post but this one made zero sense, and hey, maybe I should have bought this car for 3k instead?

I wasn't trying to poo poo on your new vehicle, just how much you paid for it. An 11 year old base model Explorer isn't worth $3k. The Alaska comparison was to show that 8 years ago I purchased a higher end, more desirable, model of the same vehicle in a car market with an already inflated price for just over what you paid 8 years later.

I'm sorry I hurt your feelings about your SUV.

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib

Crayvex posted:

The worst part is how it blinks "Ready" when you come to a stop like it's screaming at you to hit the throttle to the floor!

OK that's just ridiculous. I would be losing hundreds of dollars per day with such a setup (powerful car, 0-60 timer, and a robot urging me on) - tires, insanely bad gas mileage (does it have a real-time fuel economy gauge, too? I regard those as challenges, in both directions), tickets and fines for stupid driving...

What a huge pile of fun that would be, though.

\/\/\/ Remember, the Subaru XT has the greatest interior and dashboard ever installed in a car. PEW PEW PEW!

ExecuDork fucked around with this message at 06:40 on Mar 18, 2010

MATLAB 1988
Sep 20, 2009
Have I posted about my Subaru XT yet? Here are pictures of my Subaru XT. POST POST POST.

ExecuDork posted:

OK that's just ridiculous. I would be losing hundreds of dollars per day with such a setup (powerful car, 0-60 timer, and a robot urging me on) - tires, insanely bad gas mileage (does it have a real-time fuel economy gauge, too? I regard those as challenges, in both directions), tickets and fines for stupid driving...

What a huge pile of fun that would be, though.

I've found zero drawbacks to being in Turbo Mode all the time with my 1986 Subaru, but YMMV.

kill me now
Sep 14, 2003

Why's Hank crying?

'CUZ HE JUST GOT DUNKED ON!

Crayvex posted:

I've owned it for over a year and I still absolutely love it.

K&N CAI which has its own sound

Not a bad 0-60 time considering I have six 16lb bowling balls in the trunk.

I can fit a baby in the back of mine!

DON'T EAT IN THE CAR!

Nice challenger, have you picked up a predator yet? It really wakes the car up.

You should take it to the strip and set the 0-60 timer, i was only able to get a 4.4s one on the street (though i haven't tried in a long time) but have gotten as low as a 4.1s at a track with good prep and a little burnout.

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!

MATLAB 1988 posted:

I've found zero drawbacks to being in Turbo Mode all the time with my 1986 Subaru, but YMMV.

It was neat the first 8 times you posted it. I'm still going to murder you for you car

Crayvex
Dec 15, 2005

Morons! I have morons on my payroll!

kill me now posted:

Nice challenger, have you picked up a predator yet? It really wakes the car up.

You should take it to the strip and set the 0-60 timer, i was only able to get a 4.4s one on the street (though i haven't tried in a long time) but have gotten as low as a 4.1s at a track with good prep and a little burnout.

The Predator was my second purchase for the car. Next on my list is a cat back exhaust. I really need some new tires because I can't get a decent launch without a ton of tire spin!

By the way I get 26 MPG on the express way easy! I average 18 unless I drive completely crazy.

Edited because...HURRR

Crayvex fucked around with this message at 16:50 on Mar 17, 2010

frozenphil
Mar 13, 2003

Crayvex posted:

By the way I get 26 MPH on the express way easy! I average 18 unless I drive completely crazy.

26MPH?! That's insane! Driving those speeds on public roads will get you killed!

Any reason you Mopar guys don't go SCT over Diablo? SCT is so much nicer to tune with and has a bunch of parameters (for Mustangs, anyway) that the Diablo just doesn't have access to.

Wamsutta
Sep 9, 2001

Ouhei posted:

Wuddup!

Nice Mugen GPs. I love those wheels. That's not a Mugen SI though, is it? Looks lowered a bit. Clean ride.

kill me now
Sep 14, 2003

Why's Hank crying?

frozenphil posted:

26MPH?! That's insane! Driving those speeds on public roads will get you killed!

Any reason you Mopar guys don't go SCT over Diablo? SCT is so much nicer to tune with and has a bunch of parameters (for Mustangs, anyway) that the Diablo just doesn't have access to.

Because SCT hasn't put much effort into their tuner for these cars yet. Diablo is the tuner of choice on the 3rd gen hemi right now because its the most functional and if there is something you cant tune trough the basic parameters on it you can have a tuner load a CMR tune through it.

Its just the way it is, even though the motors been out for a few years some of the big names in performance are only just getting their feet wet with them. A lot of this is because DCX was very stingy with releasing info on the ECU and that delayed development on a lot of things. Companies like Kenne bell didn't bother making products for us because the tuning wasn't there. Now that there is tuning available they've started making stuff for us. Diablo was the first company to come out with a proper tuner and it opened up a lot of doors with modding the engines. They had their tuner out probably a year and a half before SCT really got anywhere with theirs and they have been behind the curve ever since.

copy of a
Mar 13, 2010

by zen death robot

1991 Honda Accord EX
I owned this lovely car all throughout high school until a friend of mine mentioned that she was looking into buying a new car. I was looking to get a new one as well and my parents wanted to sell this one. Since I love the car so much, I didn't want to see it going to a random stranger and I felt safe selling it my friend (until she loving wrecked it and now it looks like poo poo).

1997 Buick LeSabre Custom
This is what I own now. At first I absolutely hated it because it's a grandma car and I'm not a grandma, but I've grown to love it and it's now my pride and joy.
Also, it has a LOT less miles on it than the Honda did so I can see this one lasting forever.
The Honda had 230k when we sold it and the Buick had 92k when we bought it.. it's almost 100k now.

frozenphil
Mar 13, 2003

kill me now posted:

Because SCT hasn't put much effort into their tuner for these cars yet. Diablo is the tuner of choice on the 3rd gen hemi right now because its the most functional and if there is something you cant tune trough the basic parameters on it you can have a tuner load a CMR tune through it.

Its just the way it is, even though the motors been out for a few years some of the big names in performance are only just getting their feet wet with them. A lot of this is because DCX was very stingy with releasing info on the ECU and that delayed development on a lot of things. Companies like Kenne bell didn't bother making products for us because the tuning wasn't there. Now that there is tuning available they've started making stuff for us. Diablo was the first company to come out with a proper tuner and it opened up a lot of doors with modding the engines. They had their tuner out probably a year and a half before SCT really got anywhere with theirs and they have been behind the curve ever since.

Makes sense. Jerry W helped found SCT. Jerry was an engineer with Ford and basically designed the 4R70W transmission and had a lot of input on the ECU design. Having Jerry on board really opened up SCT's ability to tune Ford products. Ford still has a pretty close relationship with SCT, even though Jerry left a while back.

It's good to see that the competition is finally getting something going with these cars.

winstor
Sep 20, 2009
Got rid of my 2007 BF MK2 XR6 Turbo and got this instead

2008 FG XR6 Turbo, 270kw and 533nm of deliciousness.

Ouhei
Oct 23, 2008

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:

Wamsutta posted:

Nice Mugen GPs. I love those wheels. That's not a Mugen SI though, is it? Looks lowered a bit. Clean ride.
Thanks! Nah, it's just an 09 Si, I'm lowered with D2 Coilovers.

Wamsutta
Sep 9, 2001

Ouhei posted:

Thanks! Nah, it's just an 09 Si, I'm lowered with D2 Coilovers.

Looks good, and drivable. I love the look of a car with 3" of ground clearance but driving that low is such a bitch.

b0nes
Sep 11, 2001

Crayvex posted:

I've owned it for over a year and I still absolutely love it.

Auto or manual? I am asking because whenever i see someone with a sports car and a kid it's an auto.

raseri
Jul 18, 2005
www.200sx.nu
My '99 Honda ITR DC2, i love my old girl

With a K20A-swap!

frozenphil
Mar 13, 2003

What's up with that air box? Isn't a 180° turn rather inefficient?

Crayvex
Dec 15, 2005

b0nes posted:

Auto or manual? I am asking because whenever i see someone with a sports car and a kid it's an auto.

It's an auto because the wife can't drive a stick! :argh:

frozenphil
Mar 13, 2003

Crayvex posted:

It's an auto because the wife can't drive a stick! :argh:

You're not scared of a Chrysler automatic?

Crayvex
Dec 15, 2005

frozenphil posted:

Not with a lifetime powertrain warranty! Besides this thing is the last gasp of Mercedes technology in a Chrysler product.

frozenphil
Mar 13, 2003

Crayvex posted:

Not with a lifetime powertrain warranty! Besides this thing is the last gasp of Mercedes technology in a Chrysler product.

How well do you think your warranty will hold up to your mods? Just curious if you know if Chrysler is a douche about mods like some other companies are.

Ouhei
Oct 23, 2008

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:

Wamsutta posted:

Looks good, and drivable. I love the look of a car with 3" of ground clearance but driving that low is such a bitch.
Yeah, I'm low enough that it looks nice, but I can still drive around everyday and carry 4 other people.

sigtrap
Apr 14, 2002

MOIST

_firehawk posted:

Eh, we don't care about 800 any more, but 2,048 is kinda pushing it. Thanks Method Loser for the thumbnails.

Crayvex
Dec 15, 2005

frozenphil posted:

How well do you think your warranty will hold up to your mods? Just curious if you know if Chrysler is a douche about mods like some other companies are.

From what I understand, it all boils down to your relationship with your dealership. Plus none of my visible mods void anything. Basically if your mod is the failure or source of the failure then you are on your own. As far as the Predator tuner, it's really easy to change things back to stock. Chrysler isn't signing their tunes yet. (This is coming in the new model years)

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!

frozenphil posted:

SCT is seriously gimped with MOPAR PCM's. I was one of their prototype mules for the 2003 SRT-4 unit and I hated the thing. It's still sitting in a drawer unused to this day.

Do base run.

Make change to map.

Spend 20 minutes fighting the software to upload the new map to the hand held.

15-20 minutes to upload the map from the hand held to the PCM which failed half the time and required you to do a key dance and powercycle the hand held.

Do another run.

Make change to map.

Spend even MORE time fighting the software because you've already maxed out the 3 map slots on the hand held.

Rinse/Repeat.

I went back to a DTEC and never looked back.

I think the biggest reason I gave up on SCT is because there was a bug with every stock map they ever tried to give me. Any time my car would go vacuum-static-boost my car would yank timing and my AFR's would drop like a rock for a split second making the car stutter like Michael J Fox with a speech impediment. Hardly noticeable on hard runs but daily driving the car made me want to drive it into a freeway pylon.

Maker Of Shoes fucked around with this message at 21:15 on Mar 18, 2010

D. melanogaster
Jun 27, 2003

is one of the most studied organisms in biological research, particularly in genetics and developmental biology.

raseri posted:

My '99 Honda ITR DC2, i love my old girl

With a K20A-swap!

This car is simply awesome. Do you have any more info on it? Did you swap the K20 yourself? Was it as difficult as I imagine?

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

winstor posted:

Got rid of my 2007 BF MK2 XR6 Turbo and got this instead

2008 FG XR6 Turbo, 270kw and 533nm of deliciousness.
Great looking beast. How does it compare to the BF? Are both cars autos?

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

raseri posted:

Do 2 intake manifolds make it faster? That's a heck of an intake "pipe."

Method Loser
Oct 10, 2001

frozenphil posted:

Didn't you just get this thing back from the shop? You just keep modding it so you don't have to take it out to Steele and get embarrassed, don't you?

well duh, it's a 20 year old twin turbo car, things go very wrong

(like, oh, say, the throttle butterfly valves STICKING OPEN AND MAKING ME HIT A TREE. poo poo makes me mad still, but at least the car will be 100% when it's back. until something else explodes)

a real chump
Jul 30, 2003

noice
Nap Ghost

You Am I posted:

Great looking beast. How does it compare to the BF? Are both cars autos?

This and I think it looks pretty sweet in white.

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib

Method Loser posted:

well duh, it's a 20 year old twin turbo car, things go very wrong

(like, oh, say, the throttle butterfly valves STICKING OPEN AND MAKING ME HIT A TREE. poo poo makes me mad still, but at least the car will be 100% when it's back. until something else explodes)
Have you told this story somewhere before? If not, I'd love to hear it.

Sockington
Jul 26, 2003

Method Loser posted:

..the throttle butterfly valves STICKING OPEN AND MAKING ME HIT A TREE....

Sure that wasn't a Toyota 300ZX? :rimshot:

Method Loser
Oct 10, 2001

ExecuDork posted:

Have you told this story somewhere before? If not, I'd love to hear it.

It's pretty boring; parked car at bottom of driveway one night, no issue. Got in the next morning, and start driving up driveway in reverse. Since I have a steep driveway, and a 22lbs flywheel/clutch combo (11lbs each,) I tend to go WOT halfway up then let off. Well, when I let off, the car didn't. About half a second later, over a curb, and into a tree. Ruined the rear, two wheels, and my mind. The back impacted enough to push the wheelwell into the tire. Anyway, it's going to be perfect (mild bodykit, new paint, etc) when I get it back, so I'll be happy. (loving $10,000 later, though.)

I've never seen such a failure; the cable is fine, but the valves themselves are sticking open, they can be closed by hand but that doesn't help me much.

This car has had more money poured into it, I'm never getting rid of it at this point. At least $30,000 in the past, what, 5 or 6 years I've had it. (including the cost of the car, but we're well over that amount in repairs/mods at this point)

Edit: Oh I'm sure it's no Toyota, motherfucker destroys parts like noone's business

I love my car even though it abuses me :smith:

Method Loser fucked around with this message at 01:56 on Mar 19, 2010

kill me now
Sep 14, 2003

Why's Hank crying?

frozenphil posted:

The NAG-1 is a stout 5speed auto.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/5G-Tronic
There are plenty of 5-600hp cars running them with minimal issues. Its really the only good technology transfer on Chrysler's side of the entire DCX relationship.

frozenphil posted:

They are actually in general not douches about warranty work on modded cars, though it can depend on the dealer you go to. I rolled mine in after i blew a power steering pump at the track with my tow hooks and the outlines of my number on the rear window clearly visible. Despite that and the extensive suspension modifications and wider stickier tires they replaced it without so much as a question.

As long as you haven't blatantly caused the issue (they might not replace your transmission if you have a blower and left your drag slicks on) you should be ok. Hell, one of the mechanics at my local dealer is the prime installer and tuner of Arrington's 3rd gen hemi's in the northeast and he has his own little corner workshop to do performance part installs inside the service center.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

Method Loser posted:

It's pretty boring; parked car at bottom of driveway one night, no issue. Got in the next morning, and start driving up driveway in reverse. Since I have a steep driveway, and a 22lbs flywheel/clutch combo (11lbs each,) I tend to go WOT halfway up then let off. Well, when I let off, the car didn't. About half a second later, over a curb, and into a tree. Ruined the rear, two wheels, and my mind. The back impacted enough to push the wheelwell into the tire. Anyway, it's going to be perfect (mild bodykit, new paint, etc) when I get it back, so I'll be happy. (loving $10,000 later, though.)

I've never seen such a failure; the cable is fine, but the valves themselves are sticking open, they can be closed by hand but that doesn't help me much.

This car has had more money poured into it, I'm never getting rid of it at this point. At least $30,000 in the past, what, 5 or 6 years I've had it. (including the cost of the car, but we're well over that amount in repairs/mods at this point)

Edit: Oh I'm sure it's no Toyota, motherfucker destroys parts like noone's business

I love my car even though it abuses me :smith:

I know there are some race series that mandate you to have dual return springs. Maybe you could look into something like that for (well hopefully not) next time.