Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Wandering Knitter
Feb 5, 2006

Meow
How do people here store their dpns?

I have This canvas case and I have officially accidentally opened it upside-down one too many times, so I'm looking for something different.

So far my only idea is to rubber-band the same sizes/types together and keep it all in one makeup case.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Caitlin
Aug 18, 2006

When I die, if there is a heaven, I will spend eternity rolling around with a pile of kittens.
I don't know about other types of cases but you could put something like a button or some embroidery on the outside upper corner of the case so you always know which end is up.

Just a thought. :3:

felgs
Dec 31, 2008

Cats cure all ills. Post more of them.

I keep them in the KnitPicks set case that came with, since Knit Picks also don't label their needle sizes. I also have a small cardboard tube I use to hold my standard sizes.

Serenity Dove
Jan 29, 2008

If I had a Pikachu, it'd probably eat my stuff.
I have a make up case. Perfect length for DPN's, row counters, etc. Already had a case and got bought another for Christmas. Waste not, want not. Now all my DPN's are kept together by rubber bands. I can't really see any better way then getting a really fine CD marker and writing on the needles their sizes. Only drawback is if the pen rubs off or if they're expensive needles and you don't want to write over them. :(

PERMACAV 50
Jul 24, 2007

because we are cat
I'm lazy and keep them in the cases they came in.

Windy
Feb 8, 2004

My first time knitting anything other than a scarf!

I've been asked to knit up some slippers for my cousin who has tiny tiny feet. I'm trying this pattern from ravelry, which is my first foray into using dpn's. Bit clumsy, but I succeeded, sort of. I only made one so far and it looks more like an elf shoe than a rounded toe slipper. I followed the pattern exactly and did my best to maintain uniform tension but it just looks weird to me. Aside from looking elfish, I'm not really sure how large a size 5.5 is. The finished slipper is sitting on a 4x6 photo for reference. There is some stretch since I used both wool and cotton yarn, but short of stealing a shoe from Target, how do I figure it out? I looked online for a template but all I found was a chart for sock knitting that said a women's size 5 is 8.7". I think I'm just bad at google :(

So basically, I need to know three things:
1. If you are a size 5-6, how long and wide is your foot?
2. How can I create a more rounded shape for the toe like the pattern photos?
3. Are there any other free patterns for easy Mary-Jane style slippers that I should look into?

Fionnoulla
Jan 30, 2006

Drop the chalupa!

Windy posted:

So basically, I need to know three things:
1. If you are a size 5-6, how long and wide is your foot?
2. How can I create a more rounded shape for the toe like the pattern photos?
3. Are there any other free patterns for easy Mary-Jane style slippers that I should look into?

I wear a womanly size 10, not some girly size 5.5, so I can't help much here other than to offer you a link to a handy-dandy sock sizing chart.
http://www.knittinganyway.com/socks/sizechart.htm

Windy
Feb 8, 2004

Yeah, I wear either a 10.5 or 11 depending on brand. I did actually find that chart earlier but it seemed odd to me that the difference between a 5 and a 10 is only two inches.

Blackish Sheep
Feb 3, 2007

Even cartoon me doesn't know what's going on.

Fooley posted:

Any suggestions for what to use this for? It was "looks good but I have nothing planned" purchase :/.

Punta Yarns Merisoft Space Dyed, 197 yards, 100% Merino

http://danceswithwool.wordpress.com/2008/02/14/put-some-fiber-in-your-diet-a-knitted-beet-and-mushrooms/

Click here for the full 640x457 image.

:haw:

madlilnerd
Jan 4, 2009

a bush with baggage
Today I taught myself to do double knitting, and I love it, but how do I cast off so it doesn't look awful? I'm only doing practice bits at the moment, so I did some checkerboard and then failed miserably at a pattern I blocked out on some squared paper. I think I'd like to make some coasters this way- can't be bothered to make a scarf or blanket and I think pot holders are retarded.*

Edit to not make Ozma feel bad
*well maybe not retarded. More superfluous in my household. We have cork-boards for putting hot pots on. That's what they're for, right- cooking pots, not flowerpots? I DON'T EVEN KNOW.

madlilnerd fucked around with this message at 00:41 on Mar 14, 2010

Debbie Metallica
Jun 7, 2001

madlilnerd posted:

think pot holders are retarded.

Fine! Be that way! I'm not going to show y'all my carrot patch potholder when it's done.

I actually don't know how to BO with double knit. I've never done it before. :(

Bob Shadycharacter
Dec 19, 2005

madlilnerd posted:

*well maybe not retarded. More superfluous in my household. We have cork-boards for putting hot pots on. That's what they're for, right- cooking pots, not flowerpots? I DON'T EVEN KNOW.

But. How do you take hot things out of the oven without hurting yourself?

Wandering Knitter
Feb 5, 2006

Meow

Bob Shadycharacter posted:

Welder's Gloves :smug:

Bob Shadycharacter
Dec 19, 2005

Wandering Knitter posted:

Welder's Gloves :smug:

Ah well. That is what Alton Brown reccomends.

Debbie Metallica
Jun 7, 2001

You weren't making me feel bad, I actually agree. Potholders are pretty much the ultimate worthless knit. At least with a toy, you KNOW it's worthless. Potholders are the things you make when you want to pretend you do something useful when you really can't.

I mean, the one I'm making will probably just hang up up the wall in the kitchen, so it's certainly useless. It'll be like all the tea towels I embroider: oh so cute and always perfectly arranged in the kitchen, but I inwardly get a little upset when my boyfriend actually USES them and something gets spilled on them.

Blackish Sheep
Feb 3, 2007

Even cartoon me doesn't know what's going on.
Hey you guys, not cool. Toys have some purpose I'm sure of it! Guys? Guys.....?

:(

Blackish Sheep fucked around with this message at 03:37 on Mar 14, 2010

Wandering Knitter
Feb 5, 2006

Meow

Blackish Sheep posted:

I knit eggs with bells in them for my three little nephews. They fall asleep every night holding them.

Hell yeah toys have a purpose. :unsmith:

Bob Shadycharacter
Dec 19, 2005
Some things' purpose is to be awesome.

Debbie Metallica
Jun 7, 2001

Blackish Sheep posted:

They're fun to knit and awesome to have around but very rarely do the toys you make on your own have much purpose. That's why I knit more toys than anything else!

madlilnerd
Jan 4, 2009

a bush with baggage

Oven gloves! Remember the mittens the special kid had at school that were connected by a piece of elastic that ran through their sleeves? My oven gloves are like that. Bearing in mind that I'd probably make a potholder out of acrylic and then constantly worry about melting it... I melted a scarf once with the iron after making it in stocking stitch and being pissed off when it rolled up.

Knitted toys generally fall into one of these categories:
-small and simple; give to cat
-small, complex and nicely made; decorative, use to impress friends
-actually big enough to cuddle; boyfriend replacement.
I haven't seen many knitted toys big enough to cuddle properly, but that's probably because of the cost. When you've used as much yarn as you would to make a sweater and then have to find enough stuffing for it, it gets kind of pricey. I tried making a chunky monkey out of lovely thick yarn and realised it would cost me £40 for materials, so I gave up.

TauntTheOctopi
Mar 5, 2007
As if they could do anything about it!

Ozma posted:

I actually don't know how to BO with double knit. I've never done it before. :(

Separate your colors onto 2 needles and proceed as though you're doing a 3 needle bind off.

Also, go toys! 90% of what I make. People seem to like them better as gifts compared to other knit items (no pressure to wear them, I guess). They also tend to be more impressed with toys, which is important when your entire motivation in life is praise and attention, like me.

Yargh
Jan 12, 2008
ok.
asdfghjkl
I just don't understand how to knit socks. I've done sweaters, scarves, I can knit lace and cables, and then I think "Oh boy socks would be lovely!" and naaah nevermind nope nevermind, brain shuts off. Can anyone please point me in the direction of newbie sock knitting? Specifically once you get to the heel and...oh god just thinking about knitting gussets and turning heels and all that makes me want to puke, goddamn. Please help? :(

rex banner
Nov 4, 2004

Yargh posted:

asdfghjkl
I just don't understand how to knit socks. I've done sweaters, scarves, I can knit lace and cables, and then I think "Oh boy socks would be lovely!" and naaah nevermind nope nevermind, brain shuts off. Can anyone please point me in the direction of newbie sock knitting? Specifically once you get to the heel and...oh god just thinking about knitting gussets and turning heels and all that makes me want to puke, goddamn. Please help? :(

I've been using this website:

http://www.cometosilver.com/socks/SockClass_Start.htm

I've just started to learn how to knit socks too! I've just finished the ribbing part and am about to start on the heel. The instructions so far have been really clear and helpful... I'm hoping the heel and gusset instructions are just as good.

Debbie Metallica
Jun 7, 2001

TauntTheOctopi posted:

Separate your colors onto 2 needles and proceed as though you're doing a 3 needle bind off.

Also, go toys! 90% of what I make. People seem to like them better as gifts compared to other knit items (no pressure to wear them, I guess). They also tend to be more impressed with toys, which is important when your entire motivation in life is praise and attention, like me.

Yeah, don't ask me why I get a zillion more compliments on quick knit toys than I do on clothing items that I slave over.

Genpei Turtle
Jul 20, 2007

For all you stranded knitters out there, what's your technique for keeping the fabric looking even?

As a point of reference, I'm doing a fairly complicated stranded sweater with a small gauge (size 3) with one color in each hand. The problem is that there's a visible change in the fabric between switching blocks of color. I suspect the problem is that while I'm generally pretty good at keeping my tension even, my english/continental tension might not be the same. I'm hoping that blocking will fix things to some degree, but anyone have any tips? (Note: I'm not doing the whole thing in all-English or all-Continental if I can possibly help it. A single round is 316 stitches and I wouldn't finish it in time for NEXT winter if I had to drop and pick up a new color every 5 stitches)

CureMinorWounds
Apr 29, 2007
Faster Casting Time!
I know this is a knitting thread, but does anyone here know how to shuttle tat? I only just got the hang of it and am having a terrible time finding any patterns, and I was wondering if anyone had any good resources for some.

Edit: I don't know how to read the patterns now that I've found them. Nobody knows how to tat here at all? Its hard learning a new craft all by yourself.

CureMinorWounds fucked around with this message at 02:40 on Mar 17, 2010

elbow
Jun 7, 2006

Genpei Turtle posted:

For all you stranded knitters out there, what's your technique for keeping the fabric looking even?

As a point of reference, I'm doing a fairly complicated stranded sweater with a small gauge (size 3) with one color in each hand. The problem is that there's a visible change in the fabric between switching blocks of color. I suspect the problem is that while I'm generally pretty good at keeping my tension even, my english/continental tension might not be the same. I'm hoping that blocking will fix things to some degree, but anyone have any tips? (Note: I'm not doing the whole thing in all-English or all-Continental if I can possibly help it. A single round is 316 stitches and I wouldn't finish it in time for NEXT winter if I had to drop and pick up a new color every 5 stitches)

I hold both strands in my left hand, I use a knitting thimble for it. Helps keep my tension even, and I don't have to drop and pick up strands!

electricgoat
Aug 17, 2009
I recently knit a scarf with a large cable design in the centre, and a very small cable design on either side of it. However, the edges (where the small cable designs are) keep rolling in. I tried wetting the scarf and pinning it down flat, but that didn't help. If I tried ironing it (separating the iron and the project by a pillow case or something like that), would it kill the cables? What would you folks recommend for getting it to lie flat? Thanks!

PERMACAV 50
Jul 24, 2007

because we are cat

electricgoat posted:

I recently knit a scarf with a large cable design in the centre, and a very small cable design on either side of it. However, the edges (where the small cable designs are) keep rolling in. I tried wetting the scarf and pinning it down flat, but that didn't help. If I tried ironing it (separating the iron and the project by a pillow case or something like that), would it kill the cables? What would you folks recommend for getting it to lie flat? Thanks!

What fiber is it?

Phishi
May 13, 2006
The long and winding road....

Genpei Turtle posted:

I'm doing the Endpaper Mitts as my first stranded knitting so I don't have a ton of experience, but I've found making sure I hold both pretty loosely helps a LOT. I also tug on it every now and again... not the loop to tighten it, but on the work to sorta even it out a bit. But seriously, loosen up! It's helped with the strain on my hands, too. For some reason knitting Continental makes my left hand cramp, no matter how much I do it, but this practice has helped a bit with that in addition to evening out my gauge. :)

electricgoat
Aug 17, 2009

Sex Hobbit posted:

What fiber is it?

100% Highland wool.

Drei
Feb 23, 2006

she's incredible math
Stockinette based patterns curl, and there's not much you can do about it. Even blocked to hell animal fibers will still find a way to keep the curl. v:shobon:v It's a little late to do this now, but adding a border of garter stitch (knit the first and last 3 or so stitches on every row) helps it lie flat.

Fooley
Apr 25, 2006

Blue moon of Kentucky keep on shinin'...

Fooley posted:

Any suggestions for what to use this for? It was "looks good but I have nothing planned" purchase :/.

Punta Yarns Merisoft Space Dyed, 197 yards, 100% Merino

Ok, so I found something to use this for (Swirling Gauntlets).

I LOVE this yarn. It's so nice to work with. I just have a question. Instead of being made up of smaller threads, it seems more...matted, like dreadlocks. The thickness varies slightly, but it seems more like one solid piece than multiple threads.

What style of yarn is this so I know what to look for?

Bob Shadycharacter
Dec 19, 2005

Fooley posted:

Ok, so I found something to use this for (Swirling Gauntlets).

I LOVE this yarn. It's so nice to work with. I just have a question. Instead of being made up of smaller threads, it seems more...matted, like dreadlocks. The thickness varies slightly, but it seems more like one solid piece than multiple threads.

What style of yarn is this so I know what to look for?

It's a single or woolen spun. Other yarns like this include Malabrigo. I love this type of yarn. :)

They do tend to pill a bit, but eh. So does almost everything in my experience anyway. It's worth it!

Genpei Turtle
Jul 20, 2007

Phishi posted:

I'm doing the Endpaper Mitts as my first stranded knitting so I don't have a ton of experience, but I've found making sure I hold both pretty loosely helps a LOT. I also tug on it every now and again... not the loop to tighten it, but on the work to sorta even it out a bit. But seriously, loosen up! It's helped with the strain on my hands, too. For some reason knitting Continental makes my left hand cramp, no matter how much I do it, but this practice has helped a bit with that in addition to evening out my gauge. :)

Sounds like a good idea. I think the problem is that my continental is a lot looser than my english. I'll give that a shot. Hopefully it won't make the rest of the work look terrible!

electricgoat
Aug 17, 2009

Drei posted:

Stockinette based patterns curl, and there's not much you can do about it. Even blocked to hell animal fibers will still find a way to keep the curl. v:shobon:v It's a little late to do this now, but adding a border of garter stitch (knit the first and last 3 or so stitches on every row) helps it lie flat.

I followed a pattern with very narrow cables on the edge, garter stitch, a large cable pattern, more garter stitch, and then more narrow cables at the other edge. The narrow cables basically fold on top of the larger ones, which is backwards to how I'm used to a stockinette-based pattern folding. Here's a picture, since I'm bad at explaining things:

(Ignore that it's pinned down to dry in this picture.)

Those badly-drawn red lines are where it folds in on itself. And it's not a curl; this silly jerk is seriously just folding itself there. Basically, the side cables fold on top of that centre cable, which pretty much ruins the whole scarf. Is there anything at all that I can do to salvage this scarf? I do appreciate the help thus far!

Bob Shadycharacter
Dec 19, 2005

electricgoat posted:

I followed a pattern with very narrow cables on the edge, garter stitch, a large cable pattern, more garter stitch, and then more narrow cables at the other edge. The narrow cables basically fold on top of the larger ones, which is backwards to how I'm used to a stockinette-based pattern folding. Here's a picture, since I'm bad at explaining things:

(Ignore that it's pinned down to dry in this picture.)

Those badly-drawn red lines are where it folds in on itself. And it's not a curl; this silly jerk is seriously just folding itself there. Basically, the side cables fold on top of that centre cable, which pretty much ruins the whole scarf. Is there anything at all that I can do to salvage this scarf? I do appreciate the help thus far!

Are you sure that's garter? It's hard to tell because of the red lines there but it looks an awful lot like reverse stockinette to me, which absolutely would fold the way you're saying it is.

I think what I would do in your situation is to line the back of it - like, knit a whole other scarf in ribbing that matches it widthwise and sew up the edges. Hopefully that makes sense.

Lovely cables by the way!

electricgoat
Aug 17, 2009

Are you sure that's garter? It's hard to tell because of the red lines there but it looks an awful lot like reverse stockinette to me, which absolutely would fold the way you're saying it is.

I think what I would do in your situation is to line the back of it - like, knit a whole other scarf in ribbing that matches it widthwise and sew up the edges. Hopefully that makes sense.

Lovely cables by the way!

Dear God, I'm a moron... that is reverse stockinette, and that does explain everything! The entire time I was making the scarf, I thought it was garter stitch, and I was like, "phew, it won't curl!" and was shocked when the finished product folded in on itself. I had to stare at the pattern for quite a while just now for it to click that that is reverse stockinette. :downs:

The scarf is made of yarn sale yarn, and I can't find any more like it. I'll see if my friend would be down for having a different-coloured back to it- maybe even a different coloured version of the same pattern, sewn onto this one. Thanks so much!

Bob Shadycharacter
Dec 19, 2005

electricgoat posted:

Dear God, I'm a moron... that is reverse stockinette, and that does explain everything! The entire time I was making the scarf, I thought it was garter stitch, and I was like, "phew, it won't curl!" and was shocked when the finished product folded in on itself. I had to stare at the pattern for quite a while just now for it to click that that is reverse stockinette. :downs:

The scarf is made of yarn sale yarn, and I can't find any more like it. I'll see if my friend would be down for having a different-coloured back to it- maybe even a different coloured version of the same pattern, sewn onto this one. Thanks so much!

No problem! Reverse stockinette looks a lot like garter to me too. :)

I would definitely suggest doing a smallish section and sewing it up to make sure my idea actually works, though. I think a different colored back might be nice!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Molly Bloom
Nov 9, 2006

Yes.
I've been cutting knitting again, and all I can say is that our friends had better stop pumping out the babbies for a while, or I will die of stress.

Will try to find my camera someday, but it was done with Eunny Jang's steek tutorials.