Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Plastic Snake
Mar 2, 2005
For Halloween or scaring people.

Popcorn posted:

Is it possible to get Ableton to only warp parts of tracks, rather than entire tracks?

Like what warp markers do?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Popcorn
May 25, 2004

You're both fuckin' banned!

Plastic Snake posted:

Like what warp markers do?

Warp markers, eh... *investigates* ta.

thArf
Oct 9, 2009

Popcorn posted:

Is it possible to get Ableton to only warp parts of tracks, rather than entire tracks?

Delete all the automatic warp markers and just put in your own. You always have to have at least 1 marker though.

Popcorn
May 25, 2004

thArf posted:

Delete all the automatic warp markers and just put in your own. You always have to have at least 1 marker though.

I'm not completely sure how this works. Read some online tutorials but I'm having trouble picking out the piece of information I want. I want to do something pretty simple-- I want it to warp one section of the song to 120bpm and leave the rest alone. Putting markers either side of the section I want doesn't seem to do the trick. Help...

illcendiary
Dec 4, 2005

Damn, this is good coffee.
I'm in the process of creating a music video compilation, but I want the songs to be beat-matched. I'm doing the audio work in Live with the intent of using the audio track in a video editor. Is there any way (in Live or otherwise) to "beat-match" music videos to the audio? Basically I want to make sure that, despite my changing the audio, that the singers' mouths in the videos stay in sync. Everything I've read about seems incredibly tedious and difficult.

Plastic Snake
Mar 2, 2005
For Halloween or scaring people.

Popcorn posted:

I'm not completely sure how this works. Read some online tutorials but I'm having trouble picking out the piece of information I want. I want to do something pretty simple-- I want it to warp one section of the song to 120bpm and leave the rest alone. Putting markers either side of the section I want doesn't seem to do the trick. Help...

Cut out the 120 bpm section into a new audio clip, double that clip's bpm, and then splice them together again.

Vanmani
Jul 2, 2007
Who needs title text, anyway?

Popcorn posted:

You're a bit confused I think. The tempo Ableton detects on the clip is one thing... it tells you what speed Ableton thinks the clip was originally at. The tempo that the song will be played back at is another thing altogether. The tempo that the song will be played back at is controlled by the tempo at the top left of Ableton, and you can record tempo changes into your set.

Popcorn
May 25, 2004

Plastic Snake posted:

Cut out the 120 bpm section into a new audio clip, double that clip's bpm, and then splice them together again.

This ended up being the easiest solution. Thanks for the help guys.

FIHGT W HUBBY
Aug 16, 2009
Is there a way to assign an instrument rack's macros to the knobs on a Reason instrument?

KaosPV
Sep 25, 2007
Mediterranean schizo
OK, clipping in Ableton: what the hell am I doing wrong?

When I try to balance the levels of all the tracks in Ableton I almost always get my drum rack track too soft sounding. The problem is that if I set it at a volume I like, the master track meter keeps clipping, particularly at the snare beat. So basically, my snare almost always clips my mix, but if I tune it softer, it sounds weak.

What can I do? When is clipping acceptable?

Also, on a related note, do your Ableton tracks when exported always sound softer than other mp3? I usually export them to listen to them in my mp3 player and when it switches from another track to my tunes, I always have to turn the volume up because they sound way softer. This is another reason why I wouldn't turn all the tracks down so the snare doesn't clip, because if it does sound soft without doing that, if I were to do that, it would sound really low.

Computer Jones
Jun 22, 2005

KaosPV posted:

When I try to balance the levels of all the tracks in Ableton I almost always get my drum rack track too soft sounding. The problem is that if I set it at a volume I like, the master track meter keeps clipping, particularly at the snare beat. So basically, my snare almost always clips my mix, but if I tune it softer, it sounds weak.

Well, you could run your snare through distortion or overdrive- those are forms of clipping and they often sound cool. If you want your snare louder than everything else without clipping, you need to turn all the other tracks down instead of turning the snare up.

quote:

Also, on a related note, do your Ableton tracks when exported always sound softer than other mp3? I usually export them to listen to them in my mp3 player and when it switches from another track to my tunes, I always have to turn the volume up because they sound way softer. This is another reason why I wouldn't turn all the tracks down so the snare doesn't clip, because if it does sound soft without doing that, if I were to do that, it would sound really low.

Well, professional music is professionally mixed, basically :)
Popular music often has a fair amount of compression on it too, to make it sound punchier.

h_double
Jul 27, 2001

KaosPV posted:

Maybe a little compression?

If you want the snare to sound really "hot", you can try adding a little distortion overdrive, but in any case the first thing I would try is turning everything else down. Whenever I record everything, the very first thing I do is turn the individual track faders down to about -12dB (leave the master output at 0), that way there is plenty of headroom to make things a little louder as need be.

(also this is one of the big benefits of working with 24 bit audio, that you can keep your levels lower and still have plenty of dynamic range)

RivensBitch
Jul 25, 2002

If you're in ableton 8, you can select all the tracks and then adjust one fader to bring them all down together, keeping their relative levels. You can also group your tracks and compress them, which might help with your snare problem if you were to compress a drum group.

As for your mp3s sounding quieter than professionally mixed tracks, what you need to do is take your wav/aiff files exported from ableton and load them into a stereo editing program like Sound Forge. Then you can normalize them and if you like, try your hand at adding *slight* compression and EQ to master them. If you do this, I would strongly recommend loading some professionally mixed tracks into sound forge as well so that you can A/B what you're doing as a sanity check. Use spectrometers and any visualization software to see what the professional track is doing and compare it to your own.

Computer Jones
Jun 22, 2005

RivensBitch posted:

If you're in ableton 8, you can select all the tracks and then adjust one fader to bring them all down together

poo poo, I didn't know that, thank a lot! :cool:

dookie
Aug 28, 2003

I plan on making a live set in Ableton. But the problem is, a lot of my songs are sequenced in Reason. I tried doing the tedious task of exporting each different loop in Reason that I have as a .wav and importing that into Ableton. However, this method is not perfect because it cuts the audio right off at the end of the loop (no room for reverb tails, delay, etc so it sounds choppy).

What should I do???? I want to jam out in the almighty clip view to my songs damnit

duggimon
Oct 19, 2007

If I had a horse I'd buy it oats and fuck it

dookie posted:

I plan on making a live set in Ableton. But the problem is, a lot of my songs are sequenced in Reason. I tried doing the tedious task of exporting each different loop in Reason that I have as a .wav and importing that into Ableton. However, this method is not perfect because it cuts the audio right off at the end of the loop (no room for reverb tails, delay, etc so it sounds choppy).

What should I do???? I want to jam out in the almighty clip view to my songs damnit

You can run reason as an instrument in Live by using rewire, just look it up in the relevant help files and you should find all you need to know.

I'm not 100% sure you will be able to do exactly what you want to do with it but you should definitely be able to come up with a workable solution.

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR

dookie posted:

Export your Reason data (I'm assuming your 'loops' are REX percussion or MIDI notes) as a MIDI file, it's in the 'File' menu. Go into Live's browser and drag the MIDI file into an empty session in clip view. It should separate by track and create a number of MIDI/Instrument tracks (and clips containing the data on each track) to correspond - whether they'll be named properly I can't remember. Open your Reason session back up, send all your devices to their own ReWire outputs, and either delete or turn off the Reason sequencer tracks (since all the MIDI data is in Live on separate tracks). Go back into Live, and begin the somewhat-tedious task of applying External Instrument instances to all the tracks your MIDI file created. Assign them all to the right MIDI out/audio in, and you should be set for playback.

It may have simply created one clip per track, containing all your little 'regions' from Reason. If you want it cut up, simply grab your clip, hold it and hit TAB to look at it in arrange view (like your Reason seq.). Slice up that big region (CMD+E or CTRL+E), select it and drag it back onto the Session View track. It will arrange vertically, so bam, you've got your intro/verse/chorus/bridge/FUCKIN' BREAKDOWN/etc. to select from. You can do this with multiple clips (e.g: your whole song at the same time).

I do this all the time, but usually on a smaller scale - I export the MIDI from REX loops I like in Reason (because I still can't find a 'ReFill Opener' software for Mac), and drop that into the track in Live so I can re-sequence the loop from there.

Mister Speaker fucked around with this message at 18:46 on Mar 17, 2010

Vanmani
Jul 2, 2007
Who needs title text, anyway?

KaosPV posted:

Everything everyone else is saying is fine. But if you just want a quick and dirty "make my track sound normalised and punchy without clipping", just throw some mastering onto the master channel in Ableton. A limiter at the very least. Ableton includes some basic mastering racks in the Audio Effects Rack section, which are perfectly fine for a quick bounce in most cases, as long as you've got your levels set appropriately in the mix - otherwise the limiter will squash your track horribly.

Much less hassle than mastering externally.

colonp
Apr 21, 2007
Hi!

colonp fucked around with this message at 17:28 on Mar 8, 2014

pennywisdom
Mar 21, 2004

I've never heard of that before, just toss it on the master.

duggimon
Oct 19, 2007

If I had a horse I'd buy it oats and fuck it

colonp posted:

Should I just "master the master"? I usually put anything like that onto a track before the master, but maybe I'm just being silly.

if you're not doing it to the master then it isn't mastering

Exadus
Jan 1, 2010

I would get her SO pregnant :catholic: :ohdear:
I'm trying out Ableton atm. Is there a good, free place where can I learn how to utilize the interface better? A site for free Ableton tutorials?

Also, can somebody recommend me some good plug-ins?

Exadus fucked around with this message at 14:51 on Mar 18, 2010

magiccarpet
Jan 3, 2005

Exadus posted:

I'm trying out Ableton atm. Is there a good, free place where can I learn how to utilize the interface better? A site for free Ableton tutorials?

The Tom Cosm tutorials are pretty great. You can find the first hour for free on the youtube, or musictechtutorials.com.

Lately I've been using the Groove3 tutorials- which tend to cover a bit more stuff in a shorter amount of time. I think I like them a bit more. Its 22 bucks for a month of all their stuff, which I think is quite the deal.

h_double
Jul 27, 2001

Exadus posted:

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3256305

Dopo
Jul 23, 2004

thArf posted:

And its all going to be in the clubs very soon so come on down if you live near Worcester Mass.

I didn't know there were other LiveGoons in Worcester. I'm back at college until May but I'd like to stop by if you're playing when I'm home. Shoot me an email (dopo28@gmail.com).

Also, Worcester loving sucks.

RivensBitch
Jul 25, 2002

duggimon posted:

if you're not doing it to the master then it isn't mastering

Neither is putting random plugin chains on the master channel, but I suppose that's a debate that deserves it's own thread.

Das MicroKorg
Sep 18, 2005

Vintage Analog Synthesizer

Exadus posted:

Is there a good, free place where can I learn how to utilize the interface better?
Have you tried Live's built-in lessons and the manual? The built-in lessons are really quick and easy to do and they'll teach you all the interface tricks you need. The manual is also really good for a software manual!

pennywisdom
Mar 21, 2004

I got my APC in the mail today! One thing though, when I'm playing back a track and bringing a fader up on another channel, there is a huge delay and I'm getting an error message in yellow at the bottom that reads : Track volume is awaiting pickup.

Sometimes it can take up to 5 seconds to actually start doing what it's supposed to do, does anyone know how I can fix this?

thArf
Oct 9, 2009
In your settings switch MIDI takeover to value scaling.

breaks
May 12, 2001

Pickup or takeover mode means that the hardware control is ignored until you move it to the point where the software control is located. If you turn it off then, if the fader is all the way up in the software and all the way down on the hardware, as soon as you move the hardware, the software fader will jump down to the bottom.

Which is better just depends on how you use the APC I guess.

YO MAMA HEAD
Sep 11, 2007

Can you reverse a MIDI knob output so that it's interpreted as 127 to 0 instead of 0-127? Obviously there's no real reason to do that on it's own but I'd like to assign one knob to do both a full fade-in on one send and a full fade-out on another. Or am I thinking of this the wrong way?

Das MicroKorg
Sep 18, 2005

Vintage Analog Synthesizer

YO MAMA HEAD posted:

Can you reverse a MIDI knob output so that it's interpreted as 127 to 0 instead of 0-127? Obviously there's no real reason to do that on it's own but I'd like to assign one knob to do both a full fade-in on one send and a full fade-out on another. Or am I thinking of this the wrong way?
Yes, when you assign the knob to a parameter you have a min and max field. If you reverse the values in those fields, like min=127 and max=0, your knob will go from 127 to 0.

EDIT: V V V I just tried it out again, and it works just like that. Make sure that the values you enter in the min and max fields are correct. For external VST controls they seem to be 0 to 1 for example, while for mixer faders they are decibels, etc.

Das MicroKorg fucked around with this message at 10:33 on Mar 20, 2010

YO MAMA HEAD
Sep 11, 2007

Oh, okay. That was my first instinct but it seemed like it was clearing them out, I must have been doing something else stupid.

thArf
Oct 9, 2009
Worth watching:

http://isohunt.com/download/143256889/djing+ableton.torrent

I'll be playing at Amsterdam Lounge - Worcester MA March 31st come on down.

thArf fucked around with this message at 09:04 on Mar 20, 2010

KaosPV
Sep 25, 2007
Mediterranean schizo
How do you measure swing Ableton? I use Live 7, and the thing is that I want to use a sample from a real live recording of a drum pattern with some swing in it. However, when I put my upright bass samples over the drum pattern, it sounds like it doesn't fit, very clumsy. So off I go to adjust the global groove intensity and set the bass pattern to swing in 16th notes... still, don't know if I'm doing it right...

How can you know what intensity do you have to set the global groove to by just listening to the drum sample?

Thanks for all the help goons :)

dj bobby bieber
Oct 9, 2003

the fanciest whale
APC 40ism - is there a way to assign a button that selects the send track? I just want to select send a and manipulate it from there. Any other strategery is welcomed.

thArf
Oct 9, 2009
midi map > click the title of the send you want to use and bind it to a button on your apc

for example I have my stop button linked to the title of the master track

Speaking of the apc, finally got mine and I love it, but my xp64 machine doesn't like recognizing the apc and my mpd at the same time, my xp32 laptop runs both devices together no problem. The 64 bit windows will light up in the top corner as recognizing midi data but will not have the red outline that lets you know its working.

Twice I was able to get it working but it would not work again upon restarting and trying to replicate settings, orders etc.

Mildly annoying.

RivensBitch
Jul 25, 2002

Click here for the full 1000x663 image.

Played a show on saturday with 16 ColorSynths, sequenced in Ableton.

Things got pretty crazy...

Click here for the full 1000x792 image.

Click here for the full 1000x843 image.

Click here for the full 1000x898 image.

Click here for the full 750x1000 image.

Click here for the full 1000x750 image.

Click here for the full 1000x688 image.

Waiting for people to edit and upload videos, but music can be found here

(no that's not me singing)

RivensBitch fucked around with this message at 22:51 on Mar 29, 2010

an actual cat irl
Aug 29, 2004

Does anyone have any tips or advice about warping tracks with subtle pitch variations in them?

Basically, I took a bunch of my old vinyls to a friends house to record them as WAVs off his decks. When I got home and tried to warp them in Live, there seems to be very subtle variations in pitch throughout the recordings which mean that it doesn't stay in time when I use my usual warping method.

I usually load up the track, set the start beat as 1,1, then warp straight. Is there a different warp mode I should use for tracks which are proving tricky, such as these? Is it going to require setting warp markers for each 8-16 bars seperately or something???

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

thArf
Oct 9, 2009
Sometimes you just have to go through the whole thing, most times I look right after the breakdown for the first big beat and make sure that is on point then keep going.

Make sure you're using complex pro not repitch.

My live setup as of this week:

thArf fucked around with this message at 14:16 on Apr 2, 2010