Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

wilkenm
Jan 6, 2005

Gorilla Salsa posted:

...is that a...KAHLER...I see? :monocle:

It certainly is, and it's pretty drat cool. After swearing off strat-style and Floyd Rose trems, this is a breath of fresh air. I can be heavy handed with palm muting without causing any trem warble, dropping to D from standard tuning doesn't cause anything else to go out of tune, and it's just plain spiffy.

If you have the chance to check one out in person, I highly recommend it. Even the $600 Korean models have a functionally identical Kahler (although not as sturdy feeling to me).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

magnificent7
Sep 22, 2005

THUNDERDOME LOSER

wilkenm posted:

G&L Rampage aka Jerry Cantrell signature model. One pickup, one volume knob, and a whole lot of awesome.

That G&L looks just like my $100 1984 Ibanez Roadstar. Just saying.

Click here for the full 800x600 image.

wilkenm
Jan 6, 2005

magnificent7 posted:

That G&L looks just like my $100 1984 Ibanez Roadstar. Just saying.

Makes sense, the G&L is a re-issue of the Rampage model, which was made for a few years back in the 80's. The real 'vintage' ones show up on eBay once in a while, and usually go for a couple grand.

iostream.h
Mar 14, 2006
I want your happy place to slap you as it flies by.

Totally illogical of course, but single-pickup guitars freak me out a little bit.

vanjalolz
Oct 31, 2006

Ha Ha Ha HaHa Ha

iostream.h posted:

Totally illogical of course, but single-pickup guitars freak me out a little bit.

guitars with 3 humbuckers are freaky too

iostream.h
Mar 14, 2006

vanjalolz posted:

Totally agree, although to a lesser extent.

Strats with a humbucker in the bridge bother me too.

byob historian
Nov 5, 2008

I'm an animal abusing piece of shit! I deliberately poisoned my dog to death and think it's funny! I'm an irredeemable sack of human shit!
If I only had one pickup itd have to be the neck on

Even on a tele
Guess Im just not metal enough

XYZAB
Jun 29, 2003

HNNNNNGG!!

mrbradlymrmartin posted:

If I only had one pickup itd have to be the neck on

Even on a tele
Guess Im just not metal enough

Are you crazy? Nocasters and Esquires are the loving poo poo. If anything, it has to be the bridge pickup.

wilkenm
Jan 6, 2005

iostream.h posted:

I'll admit that it freaks me out a little too. All that open space on the body makes the guitar feel naked, and I have a pretty strong urge to grab a black sharpie and start drawing on it.

It's probably all in my head, but there's something special about plugging this thing directly into a simple, single channel amp. No effects, no channel or pickup switching, no tone knob. Just me, a plank of wood, and a volume knob. Possibly the closest thing to guitar bliss I've experienced.

Bill Posters
Apr 27, 2007

I'm tripping right now... Don't fuck this up for me.

wilkenm posted:

It's probably all in my head, but there's something special about plugging this thing directly into a simple, single channel amp. No effects, no channel or pickup switching, no tone knob. Just me, a plank of wood, and a volume knob. Possibly the closest thing to guitar bliss I've experienced.

I suddenly have this overwhelming desire for an Esquire and a Fender Champ...

Gorilla Salsa
Dec 4, 2007

Post Post Post.

iostream.h posted:

vanjalolz posted:

H-H Supremacy.

DEUCE SLUICE
Feb 6, 2004

I dreamt I was an old dog, stuck in a honeypot. It was horrifying.
I do like H-H (especially with a five way selector so you can get the outer coils and the neck in parallel) but guitars with just a bridge humbucker and volume knob are loving fantastic.

I really want that Prestige Ibanez from a few years ago with one SD bucker in the bridge and an Edge Zero. :circlefap:

Carbohydrates
Nov 22, 2006

Listen, Mr. Kansas Law Dog.
Law don't go around here.
Savvy?
Single pickup guitars are awesome as long as they're wired with decent parts, because that volume knob becomes a lot more important for shaping your sound. I almost always play on bridge pickups anyway, because I find the neck to be too bassy when you're playing with a bassist - it interferes too much.

e: Exception: strats. Their neck pickups are unique and awesome.

h_double
Jul 27, 2001
Tele neck pickups are awesome, some of the best blues/jazz tone to be had from a solid body guitar.

magnificent7
Sep 22, 2005

THUNDERDOME LOSER

wilkenm posted:

Makes sense, the G&L is a re-issue of the Rampage model, which was made for a few years back in the 80's. The real 'vintage' ones show up on eBay once in a while, and usually go for a couple grand.
For a minute there I thought you were saying the vintage Ibanez Roadstars go for a couple grand. Sure, a couple thousand pennies.

Carbohydrates
Nov 22, 2006

Savvy?

magnificent7 posted:

For a minute there I thought you were saying the vintage Ibanez Roadstars go for a couple grand. Sure, a couple thousand pennies.
Old Rampages don't usually go for a couple grand, either. I was watching a few last year and they sold for about $1200.

DaveSpillings
Jul 31, 2007

"I'll just get a glass of orange juice." "no no no NO NO!!!"

Just grabbed this on eBay. I don't really like Les Pauls that much, but I have the "gothic" SG and this will complement it nicely.

XYZAB
Jun 29, 2003

HNNNNNGG!!

warwick5s posted:

I do like H-H (especially with a five way selector so you can get the outer coils and the neck in parallel) but guitars with just a bridge humbucker and volume knob are loving fantastic.

I've found a tone knob to be an indispensable tool on bridge-pup-only guitars to help take the edge off any harsh treble overtones.

Gorilla Salsa
Dec 4, 2007

Post Post Post.

Handen posted:

I've found a tone knob to be an indispensable tool on bridge-pup-only guitars to help take the edge off any harsh treble overtones.

I was going to say, if I had to have only one knob on a guitar with just a bridge pickup, it'd be a tone knob.

On another note, I got my polytune in today, and it's loving tight. What this means for you? Well, for one, I'm going to be filming a (likely lovely) shootout video for you guys of the Polytune vs. the Turbo Tuner, and you goons will get first dibs on buying whichever one I deem to be the loser.

Oh Don Piano
Nov 4, 2009
I've been eyeballing this Bugera V55 head for the last week or so.
Going by the customer reviews from Musician's Friend/Harmony Central, etc. people seem to either love them, or have had something break or go wrong with it.
For the price ($350 new) I figure I might as well just pick one up and see how I like it. Has anyone here played through one that could sway my decision one way or the other?

I've also been drooling over the '72 Tele Deluxe, but I'm more in need of a decent amp at the moment, so it'll have to wait.

Scarf
Jun 24, 2005

On sight

Karate Avenue posted:

I've been eyeballing this Bugera V55 head for the last week or so.
Going by the customer reviews from Musician's Friend/Harmony Central, etc. people seem to either love them, or have had something break or go wrong with it.
For the price ($350 new) I figure I might as well just pick one up and see how I like it. Has anyone here played through one that could sway my decision one way or the other?

I've also been drooling over the '72 Tele Deluxe, but I'm more in need of a decent amp at the moment, so it'll have to wait.

I think the conclusion is that Bugera = Behringer.

Just remember, you get what you pay for.

iostream.h
Mar 14, 2006

Gorilla Salsa posted:

I got my polytune in today, and it's loving tight.
Hey grats man!

Oh Don Piano
Nov 4, 2009

Scarf posted:

I think the conclusion is that Bugera = Behringer.

Just remember, you get what you pay for.

That's my biggest reservation about it. I think the smart thing to do is go try out a poo poo load of different heads and figure it out that way.

I've had a Behringer 4x12 cab for a couple years now, and have been pleasantly surprised by it. It weighs several billion tons, but it gets this room filling, boomy sound that I love. I haven't personally had to deal with the crap side of the brand so I guess I've got high hopes for the head. I'll post a trip report on the Bugera if I do end up grabbing one.

byob historian
Nov 5, 2008

I'm an animal abusing piece of shit! I deliberately poisoned my dog to death and think it's funny! I'm an irredeemable sack of human shit!

Handen posted:

Are you crazy? Nocasters and Esquires are the loving poo poo. If anything, it has to be the bridge pickup.

see this and raise you

h_double posted:

Tele neck pickups are awesome, some of the best blues/jazz tone to be had from a solid body guitar.

:colbert:

wilkenm
Jan 6, 2005

Carbohydrates posted:

Old Rampages don't usually go for a couple grand, either. I was watching a few last year and they sold for about $1200.

The last 2 I saw recently went for $1800 and $2400. (Granted the $2400 on was ridiculously pristine and signed by Leo Fender). For $1200, I'd expect some serious wear or replaced pickup.

DEUCE SLUICE
Feb 6, 2004

I dreamt I was an old dog, stuck in a honeypot. It was horrifying.

Handen posted:

I thought that was the whole point.

Concatenation
Jul 23, 2005

Your human mentality cries out for vengeance and thrives on the violence you say you can hardly endure.

warwick5s posted:

I really want that Prestige Ibanez from a few years ago with one SD bucker in the bridge and an Edge Zero. :circlefap:

I have one, it's awesome. I find the neck pickup gets in the way of my picking sometimes on H-H setups.

Tranax
Sep 1, 2008
Thread seems pretty guitar dominated so I'll throw in my meager new percussion related equipment.

Click here for the full 1280x960 image.

Got new heads for everything but the bass drum. The Remo pinstripes are old hat for me but the 13 inch snare head is the first Evans head I have ever tried and it sounds pretty bitching rad (but the drum itself is bitching rad so who knows). I also bought some Vic Firth isolation headphones and an Evans torque drum key.

The headphones do well on the isolation front but the volume they play at leaves alot to desire. The build of them also feels pretty cheap rear end the metal used for the framing of the headphones is pretty thin, wouldn't rebuy :/. The torque key is really badass though. Using it in conjunction with tuning by ear cut me down from taking about 10 minutes to unseat, reseat, and then tune a drum, to about 5 minutes. Amazing purchase.

Sorry for the crappy quality but I'm working with what I have.

Carbohydrates
Nov 22, 2006

Savvy?

wilkenm posted:

The last 2 I saw recently went for $1800 and $2400. (Granted the $2400 on was ridiculously pristine and signed by Leo Fender). For $1200, I'd expect some serious wear or replaced pickup.
Two on ebay, one black and one cream, went for $1000 and $1350 respectively last year. An individual contacted me on TGP with a red one for $1200. No real wear on any except for dings and normal playwear.

That said, it's very likely they've gone up since then due to recently renewed interest in the model. That was before the new sig model was announced and before AiC started touring again.

Barn Door
Mar 6, 2007

shut the fuck up charles

Tranax posted:

The torque key is really badass though.

Which torque key did you buy? The pain of tuning drums would seem a lot more bearable with it...!

Gramps
Dec 30, 2006

Barn Door posted:

Which torque key did you buy? The pain of tuning drums would seem a lot more bearable with it...!

Looks like the Evans to me. Those are amazing! I can sympathetically tune a decent drum kit in like 10 minutes if I have one of those things.

Juaguocio
Jun 5, 2005

Oh, David...
A while back I posted my new SX 5 string bass. At the time, it looked like this (on the right):

My luthier friend has been hard at work tearing it to pieces to realize my crazy vision, and now it looks like this:

Upgraded with Hipshot tuners, a Schaller bridge and Kent Armstrong pickups. The pots are push-pull, and are wired so I can switch between series and parallel on each individual pickup. He stripped the awful fake vintage tint off the neck and redid it with a nice thin lacquer. Set up with D'addario Chromes, this bass whips rear end now. I'm going to give it a baptism by fire tonight at a gig.

It will have a better pickguard eventually, the tape is just covering up the hole left by the old Jazz pickups.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Did you have any trouble replacing the bridge on that?

Gorilla Salsa
Dec 4, 2007

Post Post Post.
crosspost:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AGC45f9uiQU

This was just a quick thing I did to demonstrate how the two behave when presented with the same signal. I plugged my guitar into an MXR/CAE boost, then split the signal three ways, one to each tuner and one to the amp. I would have done a more detailed demo, but last time people whined about me talking too much.

Juaguocio
Jun 5, 2005

Oh, David...

Hadlock posted:

Did you have any trouble replacing the bridge on that?

He didn't have much trouble, as far as I know, but I think he had to drill a few new holes.

TwistedNails
Dec 1, 2008

I bought a new strap! Levy's Boot Leather Bullet Strap. It looks really cool on my Jackson.

The Stygian
Feb 7, 2007

Exeggutor?

TwistedNails posted:

I bought a new strap! Levy's Boot Leather Bullet Strap. It looks really cool on my Jackson.

Nice, man. Where'd you get it from?

an AOL chatroom
Oct 3, 2002

I've had the G&L for a while, but the stock MFD pickups weren't doing it for me, so I ordered a set of Lace Golds, which are a lot closer to what I want. Good thing, because this guitar wasn't getting played as much as it really should.

Click here for the full 682x1024 image.

esq
Dec 1, 2008

I'll have a white russian.
I'd been eyeballing this one for a while, so I bit the bullet last week and it arrived yesterday. 2008 Custom Classic.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TwistedNails
Dec 1, 2008

The Stygian posted:

Nice, man. Where'd you get it from?

Guitar Center, the bullets can be removed too. I think I might take them out and make the leather look more aged.