Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Gravy Jones
Sep 13, 2003

I am not on your side
Just started The Given Day by Dennis Lehane and if the introduction is anything to go by I think I'm going to really like it.

After putting it down I realised that I've enjoyed a few books recently that a period pieces by people better known for writing contemporary genre fiction and I'm planning on reading Ellroy's Unferground USA trilogy next.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin
Just bought these online:

Three of those are goon recommendations.

Hedrigall fucked around with this message at 15:02 on Mar 17, 2010

Cakebaker
Jul 23, 2007
Wanna buy some cake?
My mother is going to London in a week and I have this list of books that sound interesting that I've asked her to buy while there because they cost about twice as much here.

The list:

The Road - Cormac McCarthy
The Child Thief - Brom
Independance Day - Richard Ford
The Disappointment Artist - Jonathan Lethem
Armospheric Disturbances - Rivka Galchen
Middlesex - Jeffrey Eugenides
Life of Pi - Yann Martel

If any of these are terrible, please warn me so I can strike them from the list.

Blendy
Jun 18, 2007

She thinks I'm a haughty!

Cakebaker posted:

The list:

The Road - Cormac McCarthy

I haven't started this but I just bought it the other day when I got a bunch of books. I hear it's awesome and from what I read of No Country For Old Men (I had to return before I finished!) McCarthy has a great narrative style. I figure I'll read this once I finish The Phantom Tollbooth (which should be today.

Facial Fracture
Aug 11, 2007

Gravy Jones posted:

Just started The Given Day by Dennis Lehane and if the introduction is anything to go by I think I'm going to really like it.

I read this in two or three days when it came out. I enjoyed it much more than I'd expected to given all I really knew prior to reading was that it was about a Boston cop and baseball.

I just started Huxley's Eyeless in Gaza. I love early Huxley but having read some of his later stuff I've bided my time in taking him up again.

Syrinxx
Mar 28, 2002

Death is whimsical today

Currently loading Conan the Warrior by Robert E Howard onto my iPhone (audiobook). I've heard it's a cool series so I'm hoping I like it.

7 y.o. bitch
Mar 24, 2009

:derp:

Name 7 yob
Age 55 years young
Posts OVER 9000 XD
Title BOOK BARN SUPERSTAR
Motto Might I quote the incomparable Frederick Douglas? To wit: :drum:ONE TWO THREE TIMES TWO TO THE SIX/JONESING FOR YOUR FIX OF THAT LIMP BIZKIT MIX:drum:XD

Syrinxx posted:

Currently loading Conan the Warrior by Robert E Howard onto my iPhone (audiobook). I've heard it's a cool series so I'm hoping I like it.

You bought an mp3, not a book, hope this helps.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Extropist
Apr 26, 2008
The Name of the Rose by Umberto Eco

Death or Liberty: African Americans and Revolutionary America by Douglas Egerton.

Actually a fair way through the latter, have not yet begun the former.

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin

Cakebaker posted:

Middlesex - Jeffrey Eugenides

Good choice, it's one of my favourite books of all time.

Calenth
Jul 11, 2001

I've been really enjoying reading Wilkie Collins on my Kindle.

He's a contemporary and friend of Dickens, and his novels were essentially the very first mystery novels -- before Doyle, before Poe, and even before Dicken's _Mystery of Edwin Drood_; at the time, they were referred to as "sensation novels" because the term 'mysteries" didn't exist yet. They're incredibly intelligent, sophisticated books, with multiple narrators writing from different viewpoints, intelligence, mystery, suspense, the whole works.

The first one I read was "The Moonstone," about the theft of a cursed Diamond, looted from India by a corrupt British officer; the one I'm working on now is "The Woman in White." Both are excellent, highly recommended, and free on the Kindle.

DirtyRobot
Dec 15, 2003

it was a normally happy sunny day... but Dirty Robot was dirty

Calenth posted:

I've been really enjoying reading Wilkie Collins on my Kindle.

He's a contemporary and friend of Dickens, and his novels were essentially the very first mystery novels -- before Doyle, before Poe, and even before Dicken's _Mystery of Edwin Drood_; at the time, they were referred to as "sensation novels" because the term 'mysteries" didn't exist yet. They're incredibly intelligent, sophisticated books, with multiple narrators writing from different viewpoints, intelligence, mystery, suspense, the whole works.

The first one I read was "The Moonstone," about the theft of a cursed Diamond, looted from India by a corrupt British officer; the one I'm working on now is "The Woman in White." Both are excellent, highly recommended, and free on the Kindle.

Not free, but you should check out Dan Simmons' Drood, which is pretty fun if you're a fan of Dickens and Collins.

Calenth
Jul 11, 2001

DirtyRobot posted:

Not free, but you should check out Dan Simmons' Drood, which is pretty fun if you're a fan of Dickens and Collins.

yeah, I keep getting that one recommended to me, but I'm hesitant, mostly because I've studiously avoided reading The Mystery of Edwin Drood as I know it would drive me up the wall for the rest of my life not "knowing" whodunit.

That said, once I work my way through Collins' big four (Woman in White, Moonstone, Armadale, and No Name) I'll probably give up and read Drood, since I'm a fan of Simmons, Dickens, and Wee Willie Wilkie too.

Bohemienne
May 15, 2007
Oh boy. Coupons are bad. I just bought:

Soulless by Gail Carriger
The Secret History by Donna Tartt
The Lies of Locke Lamora by Scott Lynch
The Privilege of the Sword by Ellen Kushner
The Name of the Wind by Patrick Rothfuss
Marked by P. C. Cast :smithicide:
The Forest of Hands and Teeth by Carrie Ryan
The Winter Queen by Boris Akunin
Tigana by Guy Gavriel Kay
The Brothers Karamazov by Fyodor Dostoevsky
Rebecca by Daphne Du Maurier

Trashy YA paranormal novels (I'm gonna pretend these are for writing research :downs:), Russophile indulgence, and goon-recommended fantasy galore. Also almost half of these are 600+ pages. I... don't even know where to start. Probably saving Karamazov for last though. Dostoevsky's my favorite of the Russians, and since it's supposed to be his best... I've put it off for this long, and I'm kind of afraid to ruin it now.

John Jhonson
Sep 20, 2008

I've just started a book of Thomas Mann's short stories and novellas, including Death in Venice. So far I've read Little Herr Friedemann :smith:

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin

Bohemienne posted:

The Secret History by Donna Tartt

Trashy YA paranormal novels (I'm gonna pretend these are for writing research :downs:), Russophile indulgence, and goon-recommended fantasy galore.

So which one is The Secret History? :)

I'm exactly halfway through said book. It's intense and probably the best thing I've read.

The_Rob
Feb 1, 2007

Blah blah blah blah!!
I just bought two books. I bought Crash by J.G. Ballard, and I bought The Way Through Doors By Jesse Ball. I have never read any J.G. Ballard, but loved the movies of Crash and Empire of the sun so I am looking forward to it. I was actually really looking for Concrete Island, but they didn't have any copies in stock which sucked. I have never heard of Jesse Ball, but the book seemed interesting. Every review I have read of it has been praising the hell out of it. I am really excited to begin it.

Blendy
Jun 18, 2007

Finished Phantom Tollbooth and have moved on to reading The Road.

juliuspringle
Jul 7, 2007

Blendy posted:

Finished Phantom Tollbooth and have moved on to reading The Road.

What did you think of Tollbooth? It was one of my favorite books as a kid.

Syrinxx
Mar 28, 2002

Death is whimsical today

Just started Stardust by Neil Gaiman. I know it's considered YA stuff but I liked Graveyard Book so much I wanted to read more of his books; preferably books that do not involve giant vaginas swallowing people.

grvm
Sep 27, 2007

The violent young pony.
I just ordered My Name is Red, Into Thin Air, and Lolita. Having a job where I can read for more than half my shift is probably the greatest thing that's ever happened to me.

Blendy
Jun 18, 2007

juliuspringle posted:

What did you think of Tollbooth? It was one of my favorite books as a kid.

It was a re-read for me. It was one of my favorite books as a kid too but I don't know if my copy is still with my parents. I found it cheap at a bookstore near me so I figured I should buy it for my collection.

It's still as amazing of a read today as it was when I was a kid.

Kerafyrm
Mar 7, 2005

I just bought Finch by Jeff VanderMeer and Breakfast of Champions by Vonnegut. On top of that, I just started Perdido Street Station by Mieville and have been working through A Pale Blue Dot by Carl Sagan.

I'm drowning myself in books. :ohdear:

Syrinxx
Mar 28, 2002

Death is whimsical today

I wound up finishing the other book I was reading while eating lunch so I started two new books today! Just bought Heart Shaped Box by Joe Hill, really excited to read it.

copy of a
Mar 13, 2010

by zen death robot
I just received Amelia: A Life of the Aviation Legend by Donald M. Goldstein and Katherine V. Dillon for my birthday over the weekend. I've flipped through it a few times and it looks like a real good read but I keep forgetting I have it and haven't started on it yet, haha.

Howling Bells
May 10, 2007

Dear Pat Monaghan and that other guy,

We believe 'Hey Soul Sister' to be a ponderous and heartless money grab. You should be ashamed. It's not enough that you used the I-V-VI-IV chord progression, Beato, but you do it on a ukulele? It sounds like a Vonage commercial. Stop the Train!
I just started "Bad Girl" by: Mario Vargas Llosa. He's one of my favorite authors really. I'm about a third through it already. Next one after that is "The Autobiography of Malcom X." I have this bad habit of getting a half of a dozen books at a time.

LooseChanj
Feb 17, 2006

Logicaaaaaaaaal!
I just bought and started The Hunt for Atlantis by a goon poster, and I looked it up on goodreads and laughed because half the reviews are in some mysterious moon man language: http://www.goodreads.com/book/show/6987836-hunt-for-atlantis

wickles
Oct 12, 2009

"In England we have a saying for a situation such as this, which is that it's difficult difficult lemon difficult."

LooseChanj posted:

mysterious moon man language
aka Indonesian :pseudo:

ShutteredIn
Mar 24, 2005

El Campeon Mundial del Acordeon
I'm about 200 pages into Europe Central by Vollmann now and it's one of the best things I've ever read so far. If he can keep up this amazingness, than I'm buying everything else he's written.

spabz
Dec 28, 2007

Just bought and began two books on the kindle:

A Hero of Our Time by Mikhail Lermontov
Nineteen Seventy-Four by David Peace

A Hero of Our Time is pretty short (about 200 pages) so I should be finished with it today.

LenoraKP
Mar 26, 2010
Well, I just bought "The Haunting of Hill House" by Shirley Jackson. My book club starts it on April 1! I'm very excited, as I've heard very good things about it.

Cakebaker
Jul 23, 2007
Wanna buy some cake?
Have a shortage of books right now so I borrowed Fight Club from a friend. Having seen the movie about ten times there's not a lot of surprises and I have to say I like the movie better, but it's interesting to see the differences. It's only 200 pages so I'll be done with it soon.

I'm thinking about borrowing jPod by Douglas Coupland from the same friend. It certainly looks interesting but is it actually any good?

Facial Fracture
Aug 11, 2007

I just ordered Benvenuto Cellini's My Life, which was recommended to me by someone here some time last year, actually. I've finally got the time and I'm looking so forward to reading it. I also ordered John Banville's The Infinities; I feel guilty for not waiting for the softcover, but it was on sale and I've been waiting and waiting--even if the reviews I've read seem to have got steadily worse since the first I read in November.

Ballsworthy
Apr 30, 2008

yup
Started Johnny Got His Gun last night, jesus gently caress christ I should have read this a long time ago.

Shizmo
Feb 2, 2010

JUICED TO THE GILLS
I picked up Gaddis' The Recognitions last week, to which I expect I'll be committed for the next fourteen days...

There was an ominous portent in the introduction, which is leading me to believe that fourteen days might be a little on the optimistic side.

Legs
Mar 18, 2006

Began The Codex Alera series by Jim Butcher (author of the Dresdan Files) and Freedom's Landing by Anne McCaffrey.

Loved the first book of The Codex Alera series (Furies of Calderon) and cant wait to get the second.

PuttyKnife
Jan 2, 2006

Despair brings the puttyknife down.
Middle of the school semester for grad school so i'm stuck in non-fiction land:

Bodies in Code: Interfaces with Digital Media by Mark B.n.Hansen

Oh HCI, you are never boring.

Chamberk
Jan 11, 2004

when there is nothing left to burn you have to set yourself on fire
Grabbed "The Westing Game" as I'll be teaching it in a few months. I remember it being sweet in the 4th grade!

SaviourX
Sep 30, 2003

The only true Catwoman is Julie Newmar, Lee Meriwether, or Eartha Kitt.

I tried to start Accelerando and holy god, please tell me he stops with the loving namedrops, technobabble, and buzzwords. It's like he wants to be Gibson without any of the actual prose to back it up.

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Is a man not entitled to the haw of his maw?
Grimey Drawer
I haven't found the books yet, but considering the plots range from "Vegitarian Vampire destroying world!" to "Invisible Insects", I really want to read these :3:

HOW CAN THAT NOT BE AWESOME?!?!?!!?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spoot
Feb 7, 2007
I just finished reading Prometheus Rising by Robert Wilson. It's a fun take on "making sense of an amalgam of Timothy Leary's eight neurological circuits, G.I. Gurdjieff's self-observation exercises, Alfred Korzybski's general semantics, Aleister Crowley's magical theorems, and the several disciplines of Yoga: not to mention Christan Science, relativity, quantum mechanics, and many other approaches to understanding the world around us!"

It was fun.

• Locked thread