Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

orange lime
Jul 24, 2008

by Fistgrrl

DJExile posted:

I won't have a rental car :sigh: I'll see about the sunsets. If nothing else there should be something around the area, because the company is putting us up in the Westin Kierland :toot: I'd imagine somewhere around those golf courses and such are a couple good shots. Hope so anyway.

There's a fairly decent bus/rail system within the city as well. I'm not sure if it goes up to the preserve but it should get you in the area.

Check out a map of the area -- you can see the mountains and proximity to Scottsdale from there. The PMP is up to the northwest, and is big and pretty. If you can't get there, I hear Echo Canyon is really nice, and if you look a little south you'll see a cleared area around McDowell road -- this is a road that runs between two moderately-sized mesa/hill things and is quite pretty from the ground.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

torgeaux posted:

Comedy option: Buy a canon.

Hey, there are plenty of us* who shoot Olympus, buddy! <:mad:>

* About 5 of us. We are so alone...

torgeaux posted:

Real? If you cannot take a tripod, buy one when you get there. A $20 tripod that you throw away will be invaluable. If not, either pack or purchase on the other end, a bean bag support. One gallon ziplock almost filled with dry rice or beans, then inside another one gallon ziplock.

Awesome, didn't think of the sand/beanbag idea. That should work perfectly. Thanks!

orange lime posted:

There's a fairly decent bus/rail system within the city as well. I'm not sure if it goes up to the preserve but it should get you in the area.

Check out a map of the area -- you can see the mountains and proximity to Scottsdale from there. The PMP is up to the northwest, and is big and pretty. If you can't get there, I hear Echo Canyon is really nice, and if you look a little south you'll see a cleared area around McDowell road -- this is a road that runs between two moderately-sized mesa/hill things and is quite pretty from the ground.

This would strike the perfect balance. If I have a few hours one day it will work out really well. I suppose I could get a cab too. Thanks a ton!

Rednik
Apr 10, 2005

I think I hosed up in post but the color on the rocks themselves is genuine. First shot at photoshop CS4.

Piquai Souban
Mar 21, 2007

Manque du respect: toujours.
Triple bas cinq: toujours.
I've got a trip to New Zealand pending, and I'm strongly considering getting some neutral density or GND filters to help with landscapes. What intensity of f-stop-reduction filters should I be targetting? What do you guys find most useful in your kit bags?

I've got the standard focal ranges covered pretty well, was probably going to get this for my Canon 10-22 over my Tamron 17-50, would love to get some tips from you landscape pros.

Piquai Souban fucked around with this message at 04:04 on Mar 13, 2010

Dread Head
Aug 1, 2005

0-#01
I use a ND8 filter if I need to knock down the shutter speed and shoot multiple exposures and blend them later which will reduce the amount of kit you will have to bring/carry around. I use the 10-20 a lot but it depends on the scene, not sure on the filter size for the 17-50 but I am assuming it is not the same as the sigma 10-20 (77mm) just get a step up ring so you can use it on both lenses.

mCpwnage
Dec 5, 2007

Motherfuckers, If it says 55 drive 55.
The Tamron 17-50 takes 67 mm filters if I recall correctly.

LanceKulot
Nov 17, 2006

mCpwnage posted:

The Tamron 17-50 takes 67 mm filters if I recall correctly.

Correct.

What brand filter do most people guys use for ND? I have a Tokina 11-16mm f2.8 and a Canon 17-55mm f2.8 (both 77mm size) and would like to get either a CPL or ND filter for them, but can't afford B+W filters yet. I've heard good reports on value for money for the Kenko, has anyone used them?

sensy v2.0
May 12, 2001

Waaay overestimating the depth of focus in these shots:

Live and learn. I guess I should stop down to f/32 and focus on something a bit further away.

sensy v2.0 fucked around with this message at 19:47 on Mar 17, 2010

365 Nog Hogger
Jan 19, 2008

by Shine

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Well that's nice :)

365 Nog Hogger
Jan 19, 2008

by Shine
Thanks. :)

365 Nog Hogger
Jan 19, 2008

by Shine
Making rocks look sexy.

dunno
Sep 11, 2003
If only he knew...

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Reichstag posted:

You could pull off a really sweet geometric photograph with that mound in the middle.

Genderfluid
Jun 18, 2009

my mom is a slut

Reichstag posted:

Do quite like this one. Not sure about the other two.

thetzar
Apr 22, 2001
Fallen Rib
I recently drove across the country. From New Orleans to Los Angeles, I took I-10. I took pictures of the nothing that I found.

I originally wanted to take the trip with my monorail camera and a full set of filters. Due to poor planning, that then became just my monorail camera, and then just my Mamiya TLR.

This is really my first attempt at non-urban landscape photography. Larger versions available of Flickr.

Tetraptychs:

Fbi2thegrave
Jul 19, 2004

those all work really really well together.

quazi
Apr 19, 2002

data control

thetzar posted:

I've been there.. been there.. used to live there omg.. been there too..

I love it.

spf3million
Sep 27, 2007

hit 'em with the rhythm

Chinese haze: ruining contrast since the dawn of photography.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

spf3million posted:

Chinese haze: ruining contrast since the dawn of photography.

Haze or not, thats beautiful!

orange lime
Jul 24, 2008

by Fistgrrl
It sure is a gorgeous part of the world. I had always seen those Chinese paintings of little rounded mountains and gnarled trees and thin waterfalls, and I thought "oh, what a nice style." Then I went to work in China and realized that no, it's not stylized, it's just what the landscape looks like over there.

orange lime fucked around with this message at 20:15 on Mar 23, 2010

dik-dik
Feb 21, 2009

thetzar posted:

I recently drove across the country. From New Orleans to Los Angeles, I took I-10. I took pictures of the nothing that I found.

I originally wanted to take the trip with my monorail camera and a full set of filters. Due to poor planning, that then became just my monorail camera, and then just my Mamiya TLR.

This is really my first attempt at non-urban landscape photography. Larger versions available of Flickr.

Tetraptychs:

Thank you for reminding me why I should buy a film camera and shoot some Portra. I love these. Not that I mean to imply that the film and camera alone caused the beauty we see in this photos, though.

thetzar
Apr 22, 2001
Fallen Rib

dik-dik posted:

Thank you for reminding me why I should buy a film camera and shoot some Portra. I love these. Not that I mean to imply that the film and camera alone caused the beauty we see in this photos, though.

I'm shocked every time I see a photo like the one on the left at how the interstates just carved their ways through cities. Nicely captured.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

I'm just starting to dabble in landscapes, and am still having a hard time making rocks sexy.

Tongsy
Aug 22, 2007
I still like this photo I took in the fall, even though I put it together poorly (newbie :v: )

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...

Phat_Albert posted:

I'm just starting to dabble in landscapes, and am still having a hard time making rocks sexy.

IT looks like, in the first, otherwise awesome photo, you overexposed the land to get the long exposure you wanted on the water. Try f/16, same time. It's a tough balance. You found a great shot...I'd suggest also using the parallel stones to as a framing device, if you see what I mean. They're just above the whirlpool.

The second is exposed better, but not as fascinating a body of water.

hybr1d
Sep 24, 2002

I rather like the second one, but the glare or reflections on the top of the rocks is a little distracting. I like the movement in the photo. Here's my first contribution to the thread. Criticism is always welcome.

I know it's blown out in the upper right, but I'm ok with that given the way the photo turned out. It was either that or burn a house down on the horizon.

glassbottle
Aug 15, 2003
Witty one-liner.

The first one is a landscape. The Second is part of a landscape. No fancy water here.

glassbottle fucked around with this message at 23:40 on Mar 26, 2010

scottch
Oct 18, 2003
"It appears my wee-wee's been stricken with rigor mortis."

I haven't been at this for very long. Would love some feedback.

EDIT: Desaturated the first and last a little.

scottch fucked around with this message at 17:11 on Mar 27, 2010

A Wizard
Jan 9, 2007
I think this may be a bit too saturated, what do you guys think?

Edit:

Cropped looks a lot better, thanks!!

A Wizard fucked around with this message at 22:45 on Mar 27, 2010

Dread Head
Aug 1, 2005

0-#01

A Wizard posted:

I think this may be a bit too saturated, what do you guys think?

I think the saturation is ok but the huge empty mass of black at the bottom is not doing anything. I would try cropping some of that out and see how it looks.

dik-dik
Feb 21, 2009

A Wizard posted:

Cropped looks a lot better, thanks!!

Didn't get here early enough to see the uncropped version, but this one is very nice. Compositionally, I like how the placement of the clouds in the top-right corner compliments the sun in the bottom-left. Nice tonal range too. Overall, very beautiful.

My latest attempt at aerial photography. I'm really pleased with how much I can salvage from horribly washed out looking photos. These require a lot more post work than I'd like, but oh well.

dik-dik fucked around with this message at 03:31 on Mar 28, 2010

PhotoDropShip
Feb 23, 2010
Here is a photo I just took in the badlands of texas

BeastOfExmoor
Aug 19, 2003

I will be gone, but not forever.
drat, Joshua Tree is the most forgiving place to take photos.

dik-dik
Feb 21, 2009

PhotoDropShip posted:

Here is a photo I just took in the badlands of texas

Woah. Beautiful. Only crits I could give would be: 1) try getting a circular polarizer, see if you can't get that sky to be a bit less washed out. 2) The shrubs in the foreground look like they're in an awkward place focus-wise. What I mean is I think they's be better being more or less in focus than they are right now. Actually, on second thought, that might just be compression artifacts...

ConspicuousEvil
Feb 29, 2004
Pillbug

octane2
Jun 4, 2007
Interstellar Overdrive
Here's a few more from me...

Canon EOS 5D Mark II, Canon EF 17-40mm f/4L USM
1/100s f/5.6 at 17.0mm iso400

1s f/16.0 at 17.0mm iso100 (crop from full frame)

H

whaam
Mar 18, 2008

octane2 posted:

Holy poo poo, loving this.

hybr1d
Sep 24, 2002

octane2 posted:

1s f/16.0 at 17.0mm iso100 (crop from full frame)

H

I love both of these. The movement in the first is spectacular, and takes you from the top all the way down with the flow of the water. The second has a great blend of blacks, solids and details.

Does this count as a landscape? Cropping suggestions or critique is very welcome.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fbi2thegrave
Jul 19, 2004

octane2 posted:

really cool, but I'd tone down on the saturation of the greens a little bit, it seems a little overdone