Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nexus-6
Mar 26, 2008

somewhere in a land of cotton candy and pinwheels where the air smells like sugar kisses
Ok, I was able to pull some shots from the slideshow (we don't get our official copies until like a month from now):

My favorite part of my outfit:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fire In The Disco
Oct 4, 2007
I cannot change the gender of my unborn child and shouldn't waste my time or energy pretending he won't exist

Nexus-6 posted:

Bonus: my HUSBAND(!) and I met on OkCupid :)

My fellow goon husband (he introduced me to the forums) and I did as well. Nerd love is the best love. :3:

Also, Best. Shoes. Ever.

Kitten Kisses
Apr 2, 2007

Dancing with myself.
congrats on your wedding! Those are some great pictures :D

Zeris
Apr 15, 2003

Quality posting direct from my brain to your face holes.
The closest big city to me is Tucson and I've spent some time at all the jewelers in that area and none made me feel especially comfortable in finding a custom engagement ring. I have a very good idea of what I am looking for and have found several examples on websites that come close, and now I need to find a custom designer that can put it all together for me. Does anyone have any recommendations?

Anya
Nov 3, 2004
"If you have information worth hearing, then I am grateful for it. If you're gonna crack jokes, then I'm gonna pull out your ribcage and wear it as a hat."
Nexus-6, it's just not fair that you have a such a gorgeous city hall to get married in and have simply incredible pictures taken in as well. Congrats to you and the hubby!

Abbeh
May 23, 2006

When I grow up I mean to be
A Lion large and fierce to see.
(Thank you, Das Boo!)
So my parents met with his parents and it looks like everything I wanted for the wedding isn't going to happen :smith: we could do it my way if my fiance didn't already invite 100+ of his relatives.

Bizarro
Apr 23, 2008

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Nexus-6 posted:

Ok, I was able to pull some shots from the slideshow (we don't get our official copies until like a month from now):

Holy poo poo, I'm not even a shoe person but HOLY COW THOSE SHOES. Also you are an excellent couple! Maybe I should retry OKCupid (gave it 24 hours before being too creeped out to proceed).

Communista
Mar 13, 2005

Ah, yes. The sweeping majesty of young, white Republican love
Hooray, I can finally post in this thread! It's not that I couldn't before - but now I can officially say that I am engaged!

It had started to get unseasonably warm last week in Cleveland, so I suggested that we go for a hike last Sunday afternoon. We walked for quite a bit through mud and melty snow when he remarked that we could turn back (I was going to see a movie with a friend that evening). So I turned to go back the other way and heard him say "But there's just one more thing..."

When I turned around, he was on his knee with a ring box in his hand. I don't remember exactly what I said but remember falling into his arms saying "No way! You lie, you lie!" while sobbing. I said yes, of course!!

We couldn't say anything publicly until now, because we had to drive to Columbus to tell our families. We met on these forums four years ago playing a game called Psychobabble, actually! We plan to do as much DIY as possible. Frankly though, the idea of how much feeding 100+ people costs scares the crap out of me. We live in Cleveland but plan to marry in Columbus.

A question, if anyone knows. My fiance's professor in grad school is an Orthodox Jew. We were considering marrying on a Saturday and while I know that it is forbidden to marry on a Saturday if you're Jewish, could he attend a wedding?

EDIT: Removed thumbnails of pics for now because the full image had nakie banners. Sorry!

Communista fucked around with this message at 05:46 on Mar 16, 2010

Staryberry
Oct 16, 2009
I'm the maid of honor for my sister's wedding. She is getting married in just under a month. For all the brides out there, is there anything your maid of honor did on the wedding day that you thought was just fantastic? Is there anything that you wish they had done differently?

JohnnyRnR
May 16, 2004
Beer Ninja

dopaMEAN posted:

Things about stuff and rings!

Thanks dopaMEAN and DocFaustus. I'm glad that you like the ring. :-) It's great to see photos of the proposal.

(For everyone else, I have a large collection of sapphires in many different colors that I am trying to photograph. Hopefully I will get those posted online this week.)

blinkeve1826
Jul 26, 2005

WELCOME TO THE NEW DEATH

Communista posted:

A question, if anyone knows. My fiance's professor in grad school is an Orthodox Jew. We were considering marrying on a Saturday and while I know that it is forbidden to marry on a Saturday if you're Jewish, could he attend a wedding?

If he observes Shabbat (Friday night at sundown until an hour later the next day) he probably wouldn't be able to attend unless he was staying within walking distance of the venue, and probably not even then, depending on his level of observance.

I don't really consider myself Orthodox, but I do keep some Shabbat observances and I stayed in a sketchy Econo Lodge the night before my brother's bar mitzvah, which was on a Saturday afternoon, because it was the only place I could stay within walking distance of the venue. My family is not observant and we live about 20 minutes away from the venue, so they drove and I walked from the Econo Lodge. It required a lot of planning and advance preparation, but we made it work.

Some other issues I could see cropping up are:
-Food: Does he keep kosher? Our venue was able to order a kosher meal for me, would yours be able to as well?
-Gifts: It's not permitted to give/accept gifts on Shabbat, so he'd probably have to arrange to get something to you either after or in advance...
-Comfort level: It was really, REALLY tough to be at my brother's bar mitzvah and have to find a way to turn down people who asked me to take pictures of them without sounding like a total nutcase, offending anyone, etc.

Your best bet with all of these is to have your fiance talk to his professor and see what he says about all this.

I don't really consider myself an authority on the subject, but if you ask here I'm sure someone would be able to shed more light on the matter, and maybe give you some pointers if you're set on having the wedding on a Saturday.

Also, congratulations!

JohnnyRnR
May 16, 2004
Beer Ninja
As promised, here are a few of the sapphires. The photos do not do the gems justice. They are all exceptional heated sapphires with striking vivid color. I have many more sapphires (lots of blue), but just didn't have time to photograph them all.

I'm partial to the unusual color of the orange and pinks, but the Ceylon Blue is a stunner. Sapphire prices in engagement ring sizes go from ~$200 per carat up to ~$2,000 for top clarity top color pieces.

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓𒁉𒋫 𒆷𒁀𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 𒁮𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

edit: nm

UnfortunateSexFart fucked around with this message at 01:09 on Mar 19, 2010

Kiri koli
Jun 20, 2005
Also, I can kill you with my brain.

Anyone have any recommendations for where to get bridal jewelry? I hate to say it, but I think I need something...prom-y that will go with my dress. I don't really want to spend a lot because I probably won't wear it again and we already spent a ton on jewelry.

Fire In The Disco
Oct 4, 2007
I cannot change the gender of my unborn child and shouldn't waste my time or energy pretending he won't exist
I wore pearls, simple, elegant, yadda yadda yadda. My pearl bracelet was the "something borrowed," and we made my pearl necklace-- it was cultured pearls made by Swarovski, interspersed with small crystals for a little sparkle.

Kitten Kisses
Apr 2, 2007

Dancing with myself.
I'm getting all my jewelry off Ebay. They have a ton of prom'ish looking costume jewelry for cheap, and for under 20 bucks I am cool with swarovski crystals.

Sheabel
Aug 11, 2008

Sheabel kind of fragile
https://www.fashionjewelry21.com has tons of really cheap jewelry. I've bought things from there and shipping was super fast, and the quality is surprisingly good for the amount you pay.

Abbeh
May 23, 2006

(Thank you, Das Boo!)
I'm going to be getting some pieces from Etsy. I just like unusual things I guess, but here are some cool jewelry stores (getting it directly from the maker is always a plus in my book):

http://www.etsy.com/shop/girltuesdayjewelry
http://www.etsy.com/shop/contrariwise
http://www.etsy.com/shop/amieplante
http://www.etsy.com/shop/tesoridamore
http://www.etsy.com/shop/PoisonAppleNYC
http://www.etsy.com/shop/OrganicLove2
http://www.etsy.com/shop/sanfranblissco
http://www.etsy.com/shop/TribalStyle
http://www.etsy.com/shop/BeijoFlor
http://www.etsy.com/shop/crudeco
http://www.etsy.com/shop/leoravon
http://www.etsy.com/shop/heronadornment
http://www.etsy.com/shop/MDsparks
http://www.etsy.com/shop/luxedeluxe
http://www.etsy.com/shop/minusOne
http://www.etsy.com/shop/Mocahete
http://www.etsy.com/shop/portobello
http://www.etsy.com/shop/BijouxDJV

poo poo that's a lot of links. Why have I favorited so many stores :psyduck:

ixo
Sep 8, 2004

m'bloaty

Fun Shoe
Jesus christ. Our florist casually mentioned that she could provide us with little tealight candles in votives for the whole place. She didn't mention that she was going to charge us $1.10 EACH for renting them. Sorry lady, you're out of your mind if you think i'm paying you $200 to rent some loving candles in June.

Drives me absolutely nuts how people try to slip in poo poo like that. Thankfully my bride is the opposite of bridezilla and thus is not susceptible to that kind of sales tactic.

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓𒁉𒋫 𒆷𒁀𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 𒁮𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

Finally secured a venue.

Second floor curvy glass area:

Pretty decent views too:

(my pics)

Brand new high end hotel, 60x60 foot room with unobstructed Pacific Ocean/city skyline views. Price for wedding and reception? $1225. Not bad?

Master_Jay
Jan 6, 2007
I'm sorry if this has been asked and I was looking in this thread, but does anyone have any suggestions for a ring setting? I can find the diamond I want just fine, but I want the setting to be unique as well. I was thinking something with color, most likely blue since it's her favorite (but cliche).

JohnnyRnR
May 16, 2004
Beer Ninja

Master_Jay posted:

I was thinking something with color, most likely blue since it's her favorite (but cliche).

Jay, most people in your boat go with a multiple stone ring to add some colored gemstone accents. Here is a three stone ring of diamond and blue sapphire that we recently completed.

Another option would be to have the ring custom made with blue gold. Blue gold is a mixture of ~75% 24k gold with either iridium or steel. The resulting alloy is 18k and very pretty.

Ben Davis
Apr 17, 2003

I'm as clumsy as I am beautiful
Does anyone know for sure whether it's illegal to throw rice at weddings in Michigan? I know Snopes disproved the exploding bird myth, which makes me think it's not, but my SIL is so drat sure.

calandryll
Apr 25, 2003

Ask me where I do my best drinking!

Pillbug

Ben Davis posted:

Does anyone know for sure whether it's illegal to throw rice at weddings in Michigan? I know Snopes disproved the exploding bird myth, which makes me think it's not, but my SIL is so drat sure.

I know the place we rented said no rice, they told us it was the cleanup after.

Lingling
Jun 13, 2008

Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle, wiggle, yeah~

Master_Jay posted:

I'm sorry if this has been asked and I was looking in this thread, but does anyone have any suggestions for a ring setting? I can find the diamond I want just fine, but I want the setting to be unique as well. I was thinking something with color, most likely blue since it's her favorite (but cliche).

Look on etsy, there are some fabulous jewelers that do things completely different. I found a jeweler for me who uses recycled gold and silver, and has beautiful bezel setting for my Alexandrite. The wealth of creativity on there is astounding-- even if you only want some inspiration!

Abbeh
May 23, 2006

(Thank you, Das Boo!)
Finally! We've secured a hall, which meant I had an address to put on the invitations, so I just ordered all our invitations. We were lucky to find a hall since the wedding is June 5, so a lot of places were taken. It's lovely and $400 including a bar tender, all the tables/chairs, kitchen, etc for 120 people.

I've also ordered some decorations, and it's starting to feel like it's just around the corner!

Sneaky Monkey
Jan 12, 2007

Beware of Hug Ninja. Trespassers will be hugged.

Abbeh posted:

Finally! We've secured a hall, which meant I had an address to put on the invitations, so I just ordered all our invitations. We were lucky to find a hall since the wedding is June 5, so a lot of places were taken. It's lovely and $400 including a bar tender, all the tables/chairs, kitchen, etc for 120 people.

I've also ordered some decorations, and it's starting to feel like it's just around the corner!

That's because it is! I was going crazy not having a florist four months before the wedding. Don't know how I would have handled not having a venue two months before the wedding....

June 5th is gonna be here before we know it.

Abbeh
May 23, 2006

(Thank you, Das Boo!)
I'm not planning on getting a florist - maybe we'll buy a few bouquets and put them in vases around the room (or go with my idea of having a Godzilla at every table) but I want it as low key as possible. Hell, I wanted to elope!

Actually I'm considering doing what a friend did, and that's put some sort of game/board game at every table - Rubik's cubes, Things, toys. Something to keep people interested if they don't feel like milling around...

Eggplant Wizard
Jul 8, 2005

i loev catte

Abbeh posted:

Um, not to sound like a stalker, but you're in the Boston area, right? I feel like I've seen you talk about Davis Sq. and other Bostonian sort of places before :shobon: And I'm unlikely to be married anytime soon, but my brother will be- would you mind saying what venue it is? I have PMs if that's better.

Zaftig
Jan 21, 2008

It's infectious

Abbeh posted:

(or go with my idea of having a Godzilla at every table)
Do this! My venue is a dingy movie theater and I won't have tables (aww yeah, horrified relatives), so I'm living vicariously through other peoples' table decor.

Lingling
Jun 13, 2008

Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle, wiggle, yeah~

Zaftig posted:

Do this! My venue is a dingy movie theater and I won't have tables (aww yeah, horrified relatives), so I'm living vicariously through other peoples' table decor.

Oh my gosh, that is a wonderful idea!

Abbeh
May 23, 2006

(Thank you, Das Boo!)
At this point I'm ready to do whatever crazy thing pops into my mind. The latest drama is the fact that I've banned the Chicken Dance from being played. Apparently that's caused quite a stir with my fiance's family and they're upset with me. I just hate that loving song so much.

Spermy Smurf
Jul 2, 2004
This is a huge thread, and I've googled my rear end off for this: Are there any non-idiotic sites for proposal ideas?

"Go to dinner and put it in a champagne glass!"

"Go to London and propose at the Grand Canyon!"

We have one restaurant around here worth going to. I wish I was joking, but we have 3 great pizza joints! She's still in school, and working part time so getting a week off to go to some romantic place isnt going to work for us...

Abbeh
May 23, 2006

(Thank you, Das Boo!)
Propose with a pizza from your favorite joint? (put the ring on the middle?) :lol:

You guys are what make a place romantic, not some artificial atmosphere.

Kiri koli
Jun 20, 2005
Also, I can kill you with my brain.

Abbeh posted:

At this point I'm ready to do whatever crazy thing pops into my mind. The latest drama is the fact that I've banned the Chicken Dance from being played. Apparently that's caused quite a stir with my fiance's family and they're upset with me. I just hate that loving song so much.

I am also banning the chicken dance and the electric slide. I fully expect my new mother-in-law to come chew me out for that sometime during the evening. :D Stay strong!

vanessa
May 21, 2006

CAUTION: This pussy is ferocious.

Abbeh posted:

We won't be doing a garter toss or a bouquet toss. At this point, no one knows but I can easily imagine the drama this will cause. Eh, it's our wedding and we get to choose which archaic and sexist elements we include or don't include.

(I will be playing the Chicken Dance, if only because group dances are the only dances everyone in my family gets up for!!)

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓𒁉𒋫 𒆷𒁀𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 𒁮𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

vanessa posted:

We won't be doing a garter toss or a bouquet toss. At this point, no one knows but I can easily imagine the drama this will cause. Eh, it's our wedding and we get to choose which archaic and sexist elements we include or don't include.

(I will be playing the Chicken Dance, if only because group dances are the only dances everyone in my family gets up for!!)

We've also nixed the garter and bouquet toss, but only because everyone is either already married or written off the idea of marriage and would get depressed at the idea that they're next in line.

We'll be 30 years old ourselves though, so our whole group is getting up there.

I will kill myself before dancing anything other than a slow dance.

UnfortunateSexFart fucked around with this message at 17:10 on Mar 29, 2010

fine-tune
Mar 31, 2004

If you want to be a EE, bend over and grab your knees...

vanessa posted:

We didn't have the garter/bouquet toss OR dancing at our reception (luncheon at a local pub). Even though my husband's family usually does the big, all night dancing sort of receptions, no one complained a bit (at least not to our faces). Granted, we paid for most of our wedding ourselves which I think cut back on the bitching.

gvibes
Jan 18, 2010

Leading us to the promised land (i.e., one tournament win in five years)

Kiri koli posted:

Anyone have any recommendations for where to get bridal jewelry? I hate to say it, but I think I need something...prom-y that will go with my dress. I don't really want to spend a lot because I probably won't wear it again and we already spent a ton on jewelry.
If you have some idea what you want, my fiancee is getting all her poo poo on etsy.

woah, efb like four times.

We are NOT doing:
canon in D
bouquet toss
garter thing
any song with "slide" in the title

Also, I'm spending almost four grand on a videographer, gently caress me.

gvibes fucked around with this message at 18:24 on Mar 29, 2010

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nione
Jun 3, 2006

Welcome to Trophy Island
Rub my tummy
Yeah, we're also not doing a bouquet or garter toss. My bouquet is going to be made from old jewelry and would probably put somebody's eye out.

And we're not doing any "group dancing" songs either. My Dad is really big into line dancing (he gives lessons!) and I don't need my wedding turning into "Learn to Dance the Frisky Cowpoke with the Bride's Father." Plus my fiance hates hates hates the chicken dance after being forced to do it with his grandmother at a gazillion Oktoberfests. We're actually doing all the music ourselves, using an ipod/iphones and renting speakers and equipment. That way even if somebody requests the cha-cha slide, it's "sorry, don't got it!"

We are running out of songs for the playlist, though. What's the ratio of slow songs/fast songs? We're not big dancers and most of the music we listen to isn't really danceable, so I keep leaning to slow songs pretty constantly. I'm concerned that if it's 3 hours of slow songs people will get bored? I've got about 2 hours of music picked out and my brother's going to help as well but does anyone has lists of songs or suggestions that aren't your "typical" wedding songs?