Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Chickalicious
Apr 13, 2005

We are the ones we've been waiting for.
How late is she?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

a top top lad
Feb 28, 2003

Triffic really. Proper player.
Only a couple of days, at this point.

Chickalicious
Apr 13, 2005

We are the ones we've been waiting for.
If she's pretty regular, I'd say the likelihood of a false negative at this point is low. If it were me, I'd wait til the morning to test with the more concentrated morning pee.

Longpig
Nov 23, 2004

Argh...

I should be happy but at this point I can't help just feeling very cynical.

I'm pregnant again, by accident. We were supposed to be avoiding it this month but as my cervical fluid was minimal I thought we were outside the fertile window... Guess not. So now I probably have an even shittier chance of hanging on to this.

Ding ding, round 4!

Papaya
Apr 4, 2005

I'm a creepy furry who feels entitled to other people's babies, but only if they are white. Yiff!

Longpig posted:

Argh...

I'm pregnant again, by accident. We were supposed to be avoiding it this month but as my cervical fluid was minimal I thought we were outside the fertile window... Guess not. So now I probably have an even shittier chance of hanging on to this.

Ding ding, round 4!

Good luck!

dishonesty
Sep 11, 2001

There's no place like home.

Longpig posted:

Argh...

Ding ding, round 4!

They say you find love when you're not looking for it. Perhaps tis the same with babies. We were "trying" for our first pregnancy and lost that. This time we weren't meant to be trying yet and weren't but got pregnant and hopefully this one will stick.

I have good feelings for you hun x

a top top lad
Feb 28, 2003

Triffic really. Proper player.

AHHH THE FRENCH posted:

I have a feeling maybe she's holding off for tomorrow, because it's my birthday. On one hand, best birthday present ever. On the other hand, there could be some severe disappointment. We'll see.
I was right, she was convinced she was pregnant and wanted it to be a special thing. Not the case, so that brought the birthday off to a roaring start. Maybe next month.

Good luck, everyone. This definitely makes me appreciate even more what many of you, and my own sister, have gone through.

qentiox
Nov 8, 2005

I like dragons.

Longpig posted:

Argh...

Ding ding, round 4!

Good luck!

AHHH THE FRENCH posted:

I was right, she was convinced she was pregnant and wanted it to be a special thing. Not the case, so that brought the birthday off to a roaring start. Maybe next month.

Good luck, everyone. This definitely makes me appreciate even more what many of you, and my own sister, have gone through.

Good luck! My only advice would be to try really hard to not stress about it. I know that's a ridiculous thing to say, but stress can do crazy things. Hopefully it happens for you next month!

Longpig
Nov 23, 2004

The loss clinic finally called me for an appointment (Friday)... I haven't called an OB or midwife (not sure if I'm even eligible at this point) yet, so I'm thinking I'll wait and see what they say about it; maybe I could get a doctor through them...?

DachsieLove
Sep 19, 2005
So we are finally getting to the starting to try stage of life. (If you've seen my post history it's taken a lot of stress to get here.)

I was wondering if Cervical Mucus changes from normal once you get pregnant. If so how soon does it change?

Papaya
Apr 4, 2005

I'm a creepy furry who feels entitled to other people's babies, but only if they are white. Yiff!
I have posted in here briefly (as in the Pregnancy/parenting threads) about my own issues; just wanted to let anyone who followed know that, if finances still allow/donors still are going to donate, come January we will finally be officially trying ourselves.

Knowing how fast some of these pregnancies on here feel like they fly by, what's 9 more months? :D

Evilpiggie
Feb 22, 2009

grendelspov posted:

Despite the fact that I have a supercock

I literally laughed until I cried.

I hear that stressing out trying to have a baby is really bad.

Longpig
Nov 23, 2004

I went to the loss clinic today... It was pretty good (apart from the FOURTEEN vials of blood they took, yikes). They are going to follow me up to 12 weeks if I make it that far and then I'll be transferred to an OB. I'm not sure if I'd be comfortable going with a midwife at this point anyway, to be honest. They are doing a dizzying number of tests on the however many litres they sucked out of me, including HcG... I'm hoping *not* to hear from them before I go in next week for a scan, because basically they will only call me if there's something bad I need to know about. :x I also got a prescription for special prenatal vitamins which apparently aren't covered by my insurance... 50 bucks for a month's supply, ugh.

Yoga
Jul 2, 2007

Longpig posted:

I also got a prescription for special prenatal vitamins which apparently aren't covered by my insurance... 50 bucks for a month's supply, ugh.

Are they actually special for you since you've had difficulty, or are they those Prenate DHA softgels that they push on everyone? Personally I'd call and ask if the brand is really important.

Azulita
Dec 9, 2006

by Lowtax
I started on the Prenate DHA softgels myself (my RE prescribed them) and they weren't worth it at all. My OB said I could switch to regular.

Pixi
Apr 16, 2001

I am loved.
Good luck, Longpig! Echoing what dishonesty said.. I lost my first pregnancy that we tried for. This pregnancy is the result of actively going OFF the fertility meds and avoiding my surprise fertile window. Oops! :)

Longpig
Nov 23, 2004

Yoga posted:

Are they actually special for you since you've had difficulty, or are they those Prenate DHA softgels that they push on everyone? Personally I'd call and ask if the brand is really important.

These are 'PregVit Folic 5'... I guess the big thing about them (according to the nurse I saw) is that they have 5 mg of folic acid, which is 5 times as much as my regular prenatal (store brand Materna). Has anyone heard of them?

Longpig
Nov 23, 2004

Pixi posted:

Good luck, Longpig! Echoing what dishonesty said.. I lost my first pregnancy that we tried for. This pregnancy is the result of actively going OFF the fertility meds and avoiding my surprise fertile window. Oops! :)

I have kind of the opposite problem of a lot of folks... I don't seem to have any trouble *getting* pregnant - it's been on the 1st-3rd try each time. It's the staying that's problematic. :(

Yoga
Jul 2, 2007

Longpig posted:

These are 'PregVit Folic 5'... I guess the big thing about them (according to the nurse I saw) is that they have 5 mg of folic acid, which is 5 times as much as my regular prenatal (store brand Materna). Has anyone heard of them?

Well, you could always just get a folic acid supplement... They are teeny tiny little pills and not expensive at all. Totally up to you though.

dishonesty
Sep 11, 2001

There's no place like home.

Yoga posted:

Well, you could always just get a folic acid supplement... They are teeny tiny little pills and not expensive at all. Totally up to you though.

Seconding this, Longpig. I'm on 5mg folate pills (normal is 5mcg) because my epilepsy medication can increase the chance of neural tube defects, so this is to counter it.

I take those as well as a normal pharmacy pregnany multivitamin.

Longpig
Nov 23, 2004

Well, I got a negative on a dollar store test this morning so maybe it's all moot anyway.

Eia
Nov 5, 2003
Even if you're not pregnant, you want to be doing the high dose folic acid already. It has the best protective effects if you do it before conception as well as throughout.

Longpig
Nov 23, 2004

Spotting and cramping have started... Looks like it's off to the hospital for another shot of Rhogam. I guess there must really be something wrong with me. Once you get to four I don't think it's just bad luck. :(

bilabial trill
Dec 25, 2008

not just a B
Oh no Longpig, I'm so sorry :(

Eia
Nov 5, 2003

Longpig posted:

Spotting and cramping have started... Looks like it's off to the hospital for another shot of Rhogam. I guess there must really be something wrong with me. Once you get to four I don't think it's just bad luck. :(

Oh dear, I am so very sorry. Hopefully the loss clinic people can help fix things!

Twatty Seahag
Dec 30, 2007
Longpig, I am so so sorry. :( I'm glad you were finally able to have an appointment at the Loss Clinic, and I hope they can straighten all this out for you quickly.

GinKitty
Jul 15, 2006

Sexy Newbie
Well, I've got a third appointment under my wing today. No period so they did a pregnancy test I knew would come back negative. That was annoying. More Provera followed by round one of Clomid.

I go from really pissed I have to take pills to properly function to totally optimistic it'll work without a problem. Unfortunately, my cousin just finished her second round of Clomid since she didn't ovulate the first time. That's been kind of sobering for me. It's really hard not to get too excited.

LongPig, I'm so very sorry. I sit around whining about taking pills and you're going through so much more. Take care.

Azulita
Dec 9, 2006

by Lowtax
GinKitty, I've been there. I did IUI and injectable medications to get pregnant. Which is not at all how I planned to do it. But I'm 32 weeks pregnant right now, and honestly, at this point I don't think much about how I got here. Mostly I think about the little guy I'm growing and how he seems to think it's fun to jam his rear end into my ribcage. Hopefully, once you're pregnant the Clomid will seem less frustrating.

GinKitty
Jul 15, 2006

Sexy Newbie
Oh, Azulita, you're right. The Clomid won't matter. Sometimes after my boss has asked how it's going for the third time in a week, I focus on the process and not the awesome baby we'll have in the end.

Azulita
Dec 9, 2006

by Lowtax
It is hard when other people know and ask you constantly, I'm sorry your boss is doing that. My family did that until I got bitchy and offered to give them updates on cervical mucous and the sexual positions we thought were working best.

GinKitty
Jul 15, 2006

Sexy Newbie
Less than a handful of people know we're trying. My boss only knows because she figured it out after a few appointments. She is completely baffled by charting cervical mucous and temperatures. Genuinely interested at first, she's now weirded out that I know so much about when and why I do or do not ovulate. It makes me laugh a little.

Papaya
Apr 4, 2005

Ugh, makes me not looking forward to having to tell my boss when/if I get pregnant next year. I work in a vet clinic so a lot of the stuff is high risk for pregnancy and I can't put off disclosing it to her until later.

Also - what are people's views on using a donor but not telling anyone but the immediate family (in our case, our parents only)? Because we have some well-meaning but common-sense lacking relatives that have the distinct ability to offend terribly, and I don't want them to piss off my future offspring with commentary in regards to their parentage.

Alterian
Jan 28, 2003

Nobody knows my husband and I are trying to have a kid but us and an internet friend of mine. My mom is already hounding me to have a kid and if she knew it was taking us a while for it to happen she'd NEVER leave me alone. It sounds sort of weird, but I don't like to talk about sex with my mom.

Its really awkward. Her sex talk with me when I was 13 (yes, she waited till I was 13 to give me a sex talk. I had already learned all about it from school though) "Don't have sex until you're married. I did!" (that was a lie) and that was it. She semi freaked out when she found out I lost my virginity at 18 and in college. I just can't talk to her about that sort of stuff at all. This is why with our kids we're going to have an open and honest communication about that stuff.

bamzilla
Jan 13, 2005

All butt since 2012.

Papaya posted:

Because we have some well-meaning but common-sense lacking relatives that have the distinct ability to offend terribly, and I don't want them to piss off my future offspring with commentary in regards to their parentage.

I would not tell them for this reason. Adults can be candid and cruel (unintentionally) and kids are easily hurt by the stupid things adults say because they're adults and they're supposed to be someone you look up to. Especially if it's someone you're related to.

Sally Slug
Jul 8, 2005

Ride, Sally, ride!

Papaya posted:

Also - what are people's views on using a donor but not telling anyone but the immediate family (in our case, our parents only)?

I wouldn't tell them. It's your child no matter what, and the last thing he or she will need is a well meaning idiot confusing him/her by saying that daddy isn't "really" daddy.

I mean, I would suggest telling him/her when they are old enough so that they have a better understanding of their medical history, but there is nothing gained in telling extended family. It's not their business how you start your family.

Azulita
Dec 9, 2006

by Lowtax
I agree, I would not tell them. We were honest with certain events around conception as they unfolded at the time, and though we are planning on telling our son when he's a teen, I worry that a blabbermouth relative will spill the beans much earlier.

Noirex
May 30, 2006

I'm 31 this year, my husband is 34. Got married a few years ago but we decided to hold off on having a baby due to financial reasons. We just moved into a house so decided that it was the right time to start trying. I bought a pack of ovulation tests from early pregnancy.com last month and have been testing it everyday. I ovulated last weekend and so we had sex for all 3 days the line was positive. Luckily, my periods are fairly regular, and supposed to arrive every 1st or 2nd of the month, so we'll see how lucky we get.

No one every told me how stressful this whole process is. When I was younger, I was naive in thinking that it would be so easy to get pregnant, just have sex without birth control! (Ha!)

Every morning I wake up with 'I WANT TO GET PREGNANT SO BADLY' thoughts in my head and it's so hard to keep it together and low key. It took my husband a while to get to the 'ready to have a baby' stage so I don't want to stress him out with too much 'TTC' discussions. I know we only just started trying, but I'm already worried that it will take a long time for us. Besides the ovulation and mucus tests, I'm not really doing anything else to pinpoint ovulation. And we're both quite healthy but we're no spring chickens for sure. My husband did recently quite smoking though, so I'm very relived about that. Although it doesn't help that a family member whom I greatly dislike is due to give birth to her 2nd one anytime soon. It's brought up some nasty feelings in me, and it's probably wrong to feel so jealous of something like that but I admit that I am.

I really appreciate all the honesty and advice this thread has. Good luck with everyone who's trying along with me!

Noirex fucked around with this message at 23:55 on Nov 7, 2011

melodywise
Aug 1, 2002

Sweetness and light.

Noirex posted:

I'm 31 this year, my husband is 34. Got married a few years ago but we decided to hold off on having a baby due to financial reasons. We just moved into a house so decided that it was the right time to start trying. I bought a pack of ovulation tests from early pregnancy.com last month and have been testing it everyday. I ovulated last weekend and so we had sex for all 3 days the line was positive. Luckily, my periods are fairly regular, and supposed to arrive every 1st or 2nd of the month, so we'll see how lucky we get.

No one every told me how stressful this whole process is. When I was younger, I was naive in thinking that it would be so easy to get pregnant, just have sex without birth control! (Ha!)

Every morning I wake up with 'I WANT TO GET PREGNANT SO BADLY' thoughts in my head and it's so hard to keep it together and low key. It took my husband a while to get to the 'ready to have a baby' stage so I don't want to stress him out with too much 'TTC' discussions. I know we only just started trying, but I'm already worried that it will take a long time for us. Besides the ovulation and mucus tests, I'm not really doing anything else to pinpoint ovulation. And we're both quite healthy but we're no spring chickens for sure. My husband did recently quite smoking though, so I'm very relived about that. Although it doesn't help that a family member whom I greatly dislike is due to give birth to her 2nd one anytime soon. It's brought up some nasty feelings in me, and it's probably wrong to feel so jealous of something like that but I admit that I am. :(

I really appreciate all the honesty and advice this thread has. Good luck with everyone who's trying along with me!

Don't lose hope at all with age. I'm 32 this year, and my husband is 34 as well, and both healthy and normal. We didn't have any problem at all getting me knocked up when we started trying, so don't let that stress you out. :) Good luck!

Fire In The Disco
Oct 4, 2007
I cannot change the gender of my unborn child and shouldn't waste my time or energy pretending he won't exist
I agree with melodywise, I'm 31 and pregnant with my first, and I had no problem getting knocked up.

It's awesome that you're starting to track your own fertility. I really feel like when women take an active role in what's going on with their own bodies, they're so much more empowered to make good decisions. Good for you, and I wish you luck. And it can happen-- we got pregnant on our first try after we started tracking!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Noirex
May 30, 2006

Noirex fucked around with this message at 23:56 on Nov 7, 2011

• Locked thread