Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Oakey
Dec 29, 2000

I'm a stupid fucking cunt
Since this is the chat thread...

Thank christ it's riding season again. Riding with a ton of gear on is still fun, but not nearly as much fun. Nice to finally not have to wear heavily-insulated gauntlets to keep from getting frostbite.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FuzzyWuzzyBear
Sep 8, 2003

Oakey posted:

Since this is the chat thread...

Thank christ it's riding season again. Riding with a ton of gear on is still fun, but not nearly as much fun. Nice to finally not have to wear heavily-insulated gauntlets to keep from getting frostbite.

I feel you. I ditched the winter gauntlets a couple days ago and immediately could ride with more confidence on the controls.

ohwandernearer
Jul 15, 2009
So over in the gear thread someone called Z3n out about being an IT nerd. I am also an IT nerd and ride with a group of people from my department. Is there a strong influx of tech people into motorcycling lately? Has this always been the case? Are we all so numb from programming/configuring/scripting/etc. that we need the release? Just wondering if this is coincidence or a trend or something else.

FlerpNerpin
Apr 17, 2006

<--- Professional nerd :bang:

shipwrek
Dec 11, 2009

Drunk octopus wants
to fight you

ohwandernearer posted:

So over in the gear thread someone called Z3n out about being an IT nerd. I am also an IT nerd and ride with a group of people from my department. Is there a strong influx of tech people into motorcycling lately? Has this always been the case? Are we all so numb from programming/configuring/scripting/etc. that we need the release? Just wondering if this is coincidence or a trend or something else.

God I hope so. I am a graphic artist and sign maker and have many IT and 'geek' job friends none of whom ride. Perhaps I should get them to hang out in here for awhile...

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.

ohwandernearer posted:

I think we're seeing a lot of this because it is an internet site, so we're gonna see a lot of IT people on here anyways. And SA is sort of out there as being a pay internet site too. But a surprising number of the riders I've met out there have working in or around tech somehow.

ohwandernearer
Jul 15, 2009

Z3n posted:

I think we're seeing a lot of this because it is an internet site, so we're gonna see a lot of IT people on here anyways. And SA is sort of out there as being a pay internet site too. But a surprising number of the riders I've met out there have working in or around tech somehow.

Not a remotely balanced sample... point taken

UserNotFound
May 7, 2006
???

ohwandernearer posted:

Not a remotely balanced sample... point taken

I'm 50/50 for motorcycle friends being IT people. At work, we've had someone say "boy I think I know about computers, but I can never understand what you guys are talking about!!!" We were talking about syncing carbs :D

e: also the only Harley rider is a windows admin, the rest of us are *nix

UserNotFound fucked around with this message at 05:46 on Mar 19, 2010

pr0zac
Jan 18, 2004

~*lukecagefan69*~

Pillbug

ohwandernearer posted:

Pfft IT. Nothing but computer janitors. :smug:

*goes back to his computer construction-worker job*

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Another CJ here. One of the people who spurred me on into taking the license is a programmer.

O'riginal
Jul 6, 2004
no images allowed
Fun Shoe
Been a biker longer than a programmer ... biking for 30-odd years, programming for .. cripes, 18 years already?? Man I'm old

O'riginal
Jul 6, 2004
no images allowed
Fun Shoe

Blaster of Justice posted:

My philosophy is to fight fire with fire. Riding a port lifted GT750 with a Figarolli 3-1 for a couple of hours is a perfect warm up for skeet shooting.

(Seriously, wear ear protection. Tinnitus is rare but lasting hearing loss isn't)

On the subject of tinnitus, and hearing protection ... I have tinnitus, for many years now, and yes it sucks. Preventing it from getting worse is a full-time occupation.

I have used earplugs while biking ... problem is, most of the earplugs I've found are TOO good. They block all but the very loudest sound; I'd like to feel that I'll hear a siren from a distance, rather than hearing it as the ambulance passes me by.

I can't find any earplugs that have an "R" value less than 29 (dunno what the R stands for, but 29 decibels is the lowest I've found). Anyone with ideas?

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

O'riginal posted:

On the subject of tinnitus, and hearing protection ... I have tinnitus, for many years now, and yes it sucks. Preventing it from getting worse is a full-time occupation.

I have used earplugs while biking ... problem is, most of the earplugs I've found are TOO good. They block all but the very loudest sound; I'd like to feel that I'll hear a siren from a distance, rather than hearing it as the ambulance passes me by.

I can't find any earplugs that have an "R" value less than 29 (dunno what the R stands for, but 29 decibels is the lowest I've found). Anyone with ideas?

Take a pair of scissors, cut a 1/3 off them. Don't cut too much or shove them in too far. :)

Dubs
Mar 6, 2007

Stroll Own Zone.
Disregard Stroll outside zone.
I don't know a single person in IT who rides, but i only know like 2 people who work in it.

See how it works?

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

I've been in IT for 13 years, and have been riding for 22 (man that makes me seem old, I'm not even 30), and I only know one other IT person who rides. In fact, I dont know any IT people who are into motorsports in general.

Handiklap
Aug 14, 2004

Mmmm no.

UserNotFound posted:

the only Harley rider is a windows admin, the rest of us are *nix
I'm usually not the "hurr winblowz" type, but this is just poetic.

Oakey
Dec 29, 2000

Actually a friend of mine who just finished up a contract was mentioning how when I first got my bike he thought bikes were kind of an out-there thing but at his last job all his fellow nerds had big Harleys and were stereotypical Harley-looking riders.

Also another person who works in software here.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Handiklap posted:

I'm usually not the "hurr winblowz" type, but this is just poetic.

It does make some sense.

Harley/Windows: "woops, looks like this incredibly simple thing might or might not be working correctly. Better call support/the dealership"

Tard/UJM/*nix: "yeah it doesn't start up properly and you have to start this and that service manually but once you do it runs perfectly. gonna tear it down and mod it on the weekend though"

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.

Ola posted:

It does make some sense.

Harley/Windows: "woops, looks like this incredibly simple thing might or might not be working correctly. Better call support/the dealership"

Tard/UJM/*nix: "yeah it doesn't start up properly and you have to start this and that service manually but once you do it runs perfectly. gonna tear it down and mod it on the weekend though"

Hey I was initially hired as a windows admin :(

Moving to 'nix now though.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

I have Ubuntu on my work desktop and some other god forsaken distro on 6 or 7 servers. Hate it. Then Windows XP on 100-ish other servers and maybe 700 clients. So simple, predictable and lovely. Win 7 at home. Love it. So there!

laymil
Sep 13, 2005

so it goes...

Ola posted:

I have Ubuntu on my work desktop and some other god forsaken distro on 6 or 7 servers. Hate it. Then Windows XP on 100-ish other servers and maybe 700 clients. So simple, predictable and lovely. Win 7 at home. Love it. So there!

I submit that you've simply grown used to the clusterfuck that is so much of the Windows world.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

All of our servers run 'nix variants with the exception of a handful of old windows 2k/server 2k3 holdovers, for legacy stuff. Then we have something somewhere along the lines of a thousand active hosts of all different OSes on our network at any given time.

My home computer just burned out all it's USB ports, so now I get to rebuild it. That's pretty much the last thing I want to do when I go home. :sigh:

I love Win7 for home use, but it's annoying that it's not compatable with the distribution of samba that we're running.

Kenny Rogers
Sep 7, 2007

Chapter One:
When I first saw Sparky, he reminded me of my favorite comb. He was missing a lot of teeth.

ohwandernearer posted:

<-- IT Sysadmin for the Flight Information Display System at Denver International Airport.
16 servers with a mix of Windows and Linux (only 4 Windows server, but they're the most important link in the chain, and they've all run nearly flawlessly for 3 years, no matter what OS.)
Roughly 1000 LCD devices showing Flight Information throughout the airport, and about the same number of LED signs.

Kenny Rogers fucked around with this message at 17:22 on Mar 19, 2010

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

laymil posted:

I submit that you've simply grown used to the clusterfuck that is so much of the Windows world.

Ghost registry keys from uninstalled hardware that prevents freshly installed hardware from working is completely normal. My OS simply can't be expected to understand my irrational desires. Getting punched in the face whenever I misbehave is completely normal. My husband simply can't be expected to understand my irrational desires.

dietcokefiend
Apr 28, 2004
HEY ILL HAV 2 TXT U L8TR I JUST DROVE IN 2 A DAYCARE AND SCRATCHED MY RAZR
I dont know whats going on so far this season but something doesnt feel "right".

I seem to be driving faster but I am more nervous about things at the same time. Wasn't helped last night when I drat near fell off my bike when I spotted a deer 5 feet from the road as I was going 65 on a narrow country road. Did some sort of slow down thing and put both feet down like I was driving a car with a clutch. Yea gears dont shift when your left foot thinks its a clutch. Ugh

How long does it usually take to get back in the groove after an off-season?

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

Ola posted:

Ghost registry keys from uninstalled hardware that prevents freshly installed hardware from working is completely normal. My OS simply can't be expected to understand my irrational desires. Getting punched in the face whenever I misbehave is completely normal. My husband simply can't be expected to understand my irrational desires.

Yeah that's pretty much how it goes. I just have a bunch of images of machines and when anything goes wrong it gets a fresh image. Scorched earth policy? That's how we roll.

Raven457
Aug 7, 2002
I bought Torquemada's torture equipment on e-bay!

Z3n posted:

Yeah that's pretty much how it goes. I just have a bunch of images of machines and when anything goes wrong it gets a fresh image. Scorched earth policy? That's how we roll.

When in doubt, rebuild it out!

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Z3n posted:

We have this too (norton ghost) on most machines, only they are in a different country so I get to instruct a 60 year old Swedish man on the phone on how to run the ghost dvd. :waycool: Anyway, enough bitching, it's just a job and it's ok.

dietcokefiend posted:

I don't really know because last year was my second season of riding and thus my first "new season", but I had been riding on and off all through winter. I'm sort of nervous about what it's going to be like when I haven't ridden since last fall. A big parking lot with some swerve and hard braking practice would probably help bring the feeling back.

Gnaghi
Jan 25, 2008

Is this a good first bike?

dietcokefiend posted:

I was crappy for a month or so but my bike is feeling lighter, faster and better handling as the temps go up.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

Ola posted:

We have this too (norton ghost) on most machines, only they are in a different country so I get to instruct a 60 year old Swedish man on the phone on how to run the ghost dvd. :waycool: Anyway, enough bitching, it's just a job and it's ok.

Outsourcing! Stealing american swedish jobs! :argh:

Yeah, griping aside, my job is really great. Just look at my post count! :buddy:

quote:

I don't really know because last year was my second season of riding and thus my first "new season", but I had been riding on and off all through winter. I'm sort of nervous about what it's going to be like when I haven't ridden since last fall. A big parking lot with some swerve and hard braking practice would probably help bring the feeling back.

I went a couple of months without a motorcycle when I had blown an engine, and I just took it slow until I got the hang of things again. Took a week or 2 and everything was fine after that.

Oakey
Dec 29, 2000

Haha, thank you guys for reminding me why I'm not a CJ any more :).

pr0zac
Jan 18, 2004

~*lukecagefan69*~

Pillbug

Oakey posted:

Haha, thank you guys for reminding me why I'm not a CJ any more :).

Seriously, glad I went the programming/Mac route. Dealing with my girlfriend's Dell is more than enough Windows crap for me.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.
<- Not an IT nerd, but a Mechanical Engineer. There's a decent amount of riders at work, but I don't think any of the IT guys ride.

TheCosmicMuffet
Jun 21, 2009

by Shine
story time.

I've been annoyed with my suzuki. It keeps feeling like it's sidewinding in tight turns and at high speed, and for several weeks, whenever I got on it, I felt like I was going to die for some reason.

So someone flags me down while I'm riding home from work yesterday and tells me my rear tire is low. I knew it, but it's hard to tell if it's really low or not when it's leaned over on the stand while I'm not sitting on it. And also hard to tell when I'm sitting on it.

Anyway, I go to the gas station to put some air in it and the pressure gague doesn't move. 'Great' I think, it must be broken. Well I'll eyeball it. So I inflate for a few seconds, and release, and then the pressure gague pops up to 10. 'Oh. Huh.' and I keep filling and it pops up to 20, and so forth.

Anyway, it turns out that wheels roll easier when they're inflated, and bikes corner better that way too.

So this morning, I take it to the station again to check the front tire (which was low 30s) and, why the hell not, the rear again.

Rear was at 15 overnight.

So I'm thinking it's an electrical problem.

Nerobro
Nov 4, 2005

Rider now with 100% more titanium!

TheCosmicMuffet posted:

Naa man. It's obviously the carbs. Flatslides will fix you right up.

Shemp The Mighty
Sep 16, 2004

Semper Ubi, Sub Ubi
heh ... I started as a Windows Admin and now I am primarily responsible for the Linux\Aix environment, VMware clusters, and our private, small 2003\2008 Active Directory.

Nerobro
Nov 4, 2005

Rider now with 100% more titanium!
I work in network operations at an ISP. windows, unix, vms, linux and bsd are my bread and butter.

There aren't motorcycle people here, but there are a hell of a lot of car guys. One guy who has a SRT4, another who had a dedicated M3 Track car...

Doctor Zero
Sep 21, 2002

Would you like a jelly baby?
It's been in my pocket through 4 regenerations,
but it's still good.

TheCosmicMuffet posted:

story time.

I've been annoyed with my suzuki. It keeps feeling like it's sidewinding in tight turns and at high speed, and for several weeks, whenever I got on it, I felt like I was going to die for some reason.

So someone flags me down while I'm riding home from work yesterday and tells me my rear tire is low. I knew it, but it's hard to tell if it's really low or not when it's leaned over on the stand while I'm not sitting on it. And also hard to tell when I'm sitting on it.

Anyway, I go to the gas station to put some air in it and the pressure gague doesn't move. 'Great' I think, it must be broken. Well I'll eyeball it. So I inflate for a few seconds, and release, and then the pressure gague pops up to 10. 'Oh. Huh.' and I keep filling and it pops up to 20, and so forth.

Anyway, it turns out that wheels roll easier when they're inflated, and bikes corner better that way too.

So this morning, I take it to the station again to check the front tire (which was low 30s) and, why the hell not, the rear again.

Rear was at 15 overnight.

Oh come on, you can't do anything without the proper tools. Don't post here again until you get a multimeter. Sheesh.

blugu64
Jul 17, 2006

Do you realize that fluoridation is the most monstrously conceived and dangerous communist plot we have ever had to face?
I was an IT dude, but got out as soon as I could. Now I'm doing title work for a large bank.

(and working on a script that will eventually save me tons of time and make my manager think I'm a god)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ReelBigLizard
Feb 27, 2003

Fallen Rib
<-- *nix/Mac Web developer/Interface designer; Supermotard rider.

Not forever though, I eventually want to own my own business and become a designer/inventor/engineer type. I am in love with CAD design. I'd love to design new products for the motorcycle world.