Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cheesemaster200
Feb 11, 2004

Guard of the Citadel
GE has been getting lauded by more and more analysts for the last couple of months. However it really hasn't seen much of a move until last week.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Dr. Jackal posted:

I hear the sentiment is long. (like 2011 long).

I would assume that it's a little bloated because of the news. I only jumped in to have it offset my questionable decision to buy CIM.
Everyone is saying S&P 1250. I sold out of some positions yesterday as a precaution but dove back in, leveraged out the rear end. FAS ftw :cool:

Christobevii3
Jul 3, 2006

xiNickix posted:

hey, I'm new at trading so this is probably a stupid question but... is it a terrible idea to buy put contracts on some high paying dividend stocks I have? I'm thinking the dividends would eventually cover the premium and then some anyways and the put would cover the stock tanking.

Thats actually a really good idea, especially before the next fed meeting if they go to hike rates. The vix is relatively low so the puts are cheap.

Dr. Jackal
Sep 13, 2009

Josh Lyman posted:

Everyone is saying S&P 1250. I sold out of some positions yesterday as a precaution but dove back in, leveraged out the rear end. FAS ftw :cool:

I would love to see this so Cramer stops crying about Double Dipping. On the other hand I would have to believe if S&P were to hit 1250, the fed would be move the rates a little bit. There is also doubts on the fed moving the rates also since lending&real estate is (still) poo poo right now.

mik
Oct 16, 2003
oh
Tape readers rejoice, Direct Edge is going to change their symbol from 'D' to something unique for EdgeA and EdgeX.

scribe jones
Sep 17, 2008

One of the key problems in the analysis of this puzzling book is to be able to differentiate a real language from meaningless writing.

mik posted:

Tape readers rejoice, Direct Edge is going to change their symbol from 'D' to something unique for EdgeA and EdgeX.
Rejoicing tape reader found

Christobevii3
Jul 3, 2006
Honestly the vix is too low. Buying puts is really really smart imo. I'll probably buy some puts tomorrow.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Dr. Jackal posted:

I would love to see this so Cramer stops crying about Double Dipping. On the other hand I would have to believe if S&P were to hit 1250, the fed would be move the rates a little bit. There is also doubts on the fed moving the rates also since lending&real estate is (still) poo poo right now.
The problem is that while the stock market has recovered quite a bit, the economy is still dragging, though the stock market is supposed to lead the economy by 6-9 months so that makes sense. They always say that The Great Depression was prolonged because the government withdrew their support too quickly, so I aside from a small hike here or there, I wouldn't expect much tightening until we see employment tick positive for 3 consecutive months.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Days like today when I'm up 3x the S&P makes me wonder why I'm still 25% in cash.

Hobologist
May 4, 2007

We'll have one entire section labelled "for degenerates"
Ah, Qwest. I suppose a price/free cash flow ratio of 5 has to get noticed eventually.

Blakkout
Aug 24, 2006

No thought was put into this.
Here's to hoping that GE dividend really does come back in 2011.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Christobevii3 posted:

Honestly the vix is too low. Buying puts is really really smart imo. I'll probably buy some puts tomorrow.
For those of you who don't want to deal with options, there's the VXX ETN offered by iShares, though AFAIK there's no short counterpart. At this point though, the VIX can't get much lower.

Plastic Jesus
Aug 26, 2006

I'm cranky most of the time.

Josh Lyman posted:

For those of you who don't want to deal with options, there's the VXX ETN offered by iShares, though AFAIK there's no short counterpart. At this point though, the VIX can't get much lower.

VXX tracking errors make UNG look like an accurate representation of the price of Natty. This is particularly true when the near-term VIX future expire (like on Friday) and roll into next-month contracts that are in contango (which is almost always the case). It's an incredibly flaky product for something that is already hard to understand; you're treating something like a stock that's a representation of volatility of a product that is a statistic about the volatility of another product.

If one expects a tick up in vol it's safer and easier to just buy SPX options.

Edit: :bang:

Plastic Jesus fucked around with this message at 23:35 on Mar 17, 2010

MrBigglesworth
Mar 26, 2005

Lover of Fuzzy Meatloaf
That VXX is a perfect candidate to setup a trailing buy order. God I wish I had some cash, I have missed so much in just the last few months. Intel, AMD, GE (finally) TSU, HGSI (owned at 17, sold at 21, shoulda kept.) and a few others.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

MrBigglesworth posted:

That VXX is a perfect candidate to setup a trailing buy order. God I wish I had some cash, I have missed so much in just the last few months. Intel, AMD, GE (finally) TSU, HGSI (owned at 17, sold at 21, shoulda kept.) and a few others.
Speaking of which, a trailing buy on FAS is what saved my rear end from missing out on 10% since Monday afternoon.

PianoDragn
Jan 30, 2006
Any websites out there that post when new companies hit the Nasdaq or NYSE? Having a hard time finding one, and don't know how else to find out when a new stock hit's the market.

Hobologist
May 4, 2007

Do my eyes deceive me, or is Endwave (ENWV) selling for less than its net cash? Am I missing anything?

LactoseO.D.'d
Jun 3, 2002

Hobologist posted:

Do my eyes deceive me, or is Endwave (ENWV) selling for less than its net cash? Am I missing anything?

Consistent operating losses? That's all I saw in my 5 minute check anyways.

destructo
Apr 29, 2006
Took most of my pre-news gains out of APPA and letting the house money ride.. let's see what happens after hours :ohdear:

edit: trading has been halted aaaaaaaahhhgh :ohdear: :hf: :ohdear:

edit2: well, the news wasn't horrible, gonna hold my remaining shares to resubmission

destructo fucked around with this message at 17:56 on Mar 19, 2010

Hobologist
May 4, 2007

LactoseO.D.'d posted:

Consistent operating losses? That's all I saw in my 5 minute check anyways.

Well, obviously, but a lot of that is R & D. I'm just wondering if they can start operating at not a loss what else could be lurking in the wings.

Edit: Aha, I have missed something. They repurchased $36 million in preferred stock since their last balance sheet, so instead of buying $66 million for $26, you'd only get to buy $30 for $26. Still, management resolving a $45 million liquidation preference for $36 million suggests that they're up to something.

Hobologist fucked around with this message at 08:42 on Mar 19, 2010

Hobologist
May 4, 2007

You're all very quiet today. You must all own the same miserable crap I do.

Ugh, what a day.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Hobologist posted:

Ugh, what a day.
I got stopped out of FAS yesterday after a tidy 12% in 3 days. Saving my rear end like nobody's business. I'm down 0.5% today so I could not care less.

ayekappy
Aug 22, 2004

Brie Cheesin'
Good god. Wish I had been shorting Palm since January!

Cheesemaster200
Feb 11, 2004

Guard of the Citadel

Hobologist posted:

Ugh, what a day.

I have two major positions on GE and INTC. Both of which have been phenomenal the last week. I quite frankly cant complain much about a slight loss today after that big of a straight gain.

LactoseO.D.'d
Jun 3, 2002
Yeah that was a fun day. I thought it'd be a nice quiet Friday. There wasn't any economic news... did anything hit the wires that was noteworthy at all?

Plastic Jesus
Aug 26, 2006

LactoseO.D.'d posted:

Yeah that was a fun day. I thought it'd be a nice quiet Friday. There wasn't any economic news... did anything hit the wires that was noteworthy at all?

Not that I noticed. I don't buy much into the "quadruple witching" thing but it does make sense that, after opening bell settlement, options and futures traders were unwinding positions in a very overbought market.

I had a bad month, all due to mechanics of trades not to the trades themselves. Which is nice, because I just have to blame myself and not some market bogeyman. I'm going to happily do nothing until $DXY gets beat down by or breaks 81.

Grumpicat
May 27, 2005
Mood: Angsty
Hey everyone. I've saved Two Thousand Dollars to invest so what do you guys think about :

Jefferies | TR/J CRB Global Industrial Metals Equity Index Fund (CRBI) .65% expense ratio
http://www.alpsetfs.com/crb-crbi.php

Morgan Stanley India Investment Fund, Inc. (IIF)
http://finance.yahoo.com/q?s=IIF
^ wow the expense ratio on this is 1.29%

ok I'm changing my India pick to PowerShares India PIN with .78% expense ratio
http://quote.morningstar.com/ETF/f.aspx?t=PIN

Maybe some SPY

Is now a bad time to get in? Will there be a better time to get in?

Also I hope eOption is good because I didn't like the OptionsHouse interface.

Grumpicat fucked around with this message at 06:09 on Mar 24, 2010

SSH IT ZOMBIE
Apr 19, 2003
No more blinkies! Yay!
College Slice
Been holding GE. They'll recover, it's a good long term stock.
I am not sure that the price is ready to stick at 19. Selling some covered calls at 18 hopefully tomorrow.

Sold off my CAH and not sure what to buy. I don't get this market right now. It might be that bank interest rates suck so bad right now, maybe everyone is playing the market because money elsewhere is just wasting. I don't know.

Plastic Jesus
Aug 26, 2006

D13F00L posted:

Been holding GE. They'll recover, it's a good long term stock.
I am not sure that the price is ready to stick at 19. Selling some covered calls at 18 hopefully tomorrow.

Sold off my CAH and not sure what to buy. I don't get this market right now. It might be that bank interest rates suck so bad right now, maybe everyone is playing the market because money elsewhere is just wasting. I don't know.

If you sold near-month calls at the close today you'll need it to close on April 16 under $18.80 (ignoring transaction fees). I don't know if that will happen or not but they just guided higher and 2011 will likely hold some nice dividends so I'd probably hold onto it or at most sell way long dated calls.

CAH has a dividend of $0.175 coming up on Monday, when did it go ex-dividend? When did you sell?

As for where to put money, I'm the wrong person to ask if you want a fun answer- I'm 50% TLT and 25% cash.

Foma
Oct 1, 2004
Hello, My name is Lip Synch. Right now, I'm making a post that is anti-bush or something Micheal Moore would be proud of because I and the rest of my team lefty friends (koba1t included) need something to circle jerk to.

D13F00L posted:

I don't get this market right now. It might be that bank interest rates suck so bad right now, maybe everyone is playing the market because money elsewhere is just wasting. I don't know.

I am in the same boat

destructo
Apr 29, 2006
Picked up some CRXX on Wednesday :smug:

Dead Pressed
Nov 11, 2009

destructo posted:

Picked up some CRXX on Wednesday :smug:

What provoked the purchase? That was quite the nab. :/

destructo
Apr 29, 2006

Dead Pressed posted:

What provoked the purchase? That was quite the nab. :/
Eh it wasn't a big buyin, just 2k shares, I just ran some quick numbers regarding how I figured their earnings would shape up and figured I'd see a little pop. CRXX is pretty undervalued still, given that it has royalties from a drug that was just approved and a couple more in the pipeline + assistance from Covidien. I'm probably just going to hold this for a while and see where it shakes out.

Seems to be just a quick pop on news today though, hopefully it'll hold some gains.

drat you, saw that breaking out earlier today, good call
\/\/\/\/\/

destructo fucked around with this message at 17:51 on Mar 25, 2010

Hobologist
May 4, 2007

Ah, CONN. Perhaps now I can break out the :smug: and keep it broken out.

Edit: I bought CONN because it was a net-net; it no longer is, so I'm out.

Now I'm thinking about Mirant.

Hobologist fucked around with this message at 20:05 on Mar 25, 2010

Plastic Jesus
Aug 26, 2006

Short QQQQ ahead of ORCL earnings and GDP announcement.

big shtick energy
May 27, 2004

Anyone else in BPT? It's at kind of a premium right now because it's been bid up 15-20% despite flat oil prices, but it's the best instrument I can find for longer-term exposure to crude prices.

SSH IT ZOMBIE
Apr 19, 2003
No more blinkies! Yay!
College Slice

I WANT TO EAT BABBY posted:

If you sold near-month calls at the close today you'll need it to close on April 16 under $18.80 (ignoring transaction fees). I don't know if that will happen or not but they just guided higher and 2011 will likely hold some nice dividends so I'd probably hold onto it or at most sell way long dated calls.

CAH has a dividend of $0.175 coming up on Monday, when did it go ex-dividend? When did you sell?

As for where to put money, I'm the wrong person to ask if you want a fun answer- I'm 50% TLT and 25% cash.

Sold CAH 3/2/10, ex-dividend end of march. I need to get in the habit of watching that closer, but I'm within the window this time.

GE, I have a GT90 day sell covered call order at 1.05 for strike of 18...it should hit that if it can brush nearly 19 again, which it dide hit yesterday but I didn't put it in until close. GE might not make it to 19 again short term...I'm somewhat expecting it to go back to 17ish before going back up.

I rarely watch the market every day, I just glance maybe once a week, and do research before buying a stock. I miss these chances sometimes. :sigh:

SSH IT ZOMBIE fucked around with this message at 00:11 on Mar 26, 2010

Dr. Jackal
Sep 13, 2009

D13F00L posted:

Sold CAH 3/2/10, ex-dividend end of march. I need to get in the habit of watching that closer, but I'm within the window this time.

GE, I have a GT90 day sell covered call order at 1.05 for strike of 18...it should hit that if it can brush nearly 19 again, which it dide hit yesterday but I didn't put it in until close. GE might not make it to 19 again short term...I'm somewhat expecting it to go back to 17ish before going back up.

I rarely watch the market every day, I just glance maybe once a week, and do research before buying a stock. I miss these chances sometimes. :sigh:

Same problem here, I dumping GE and going to wait for it to dip once before going back in.

I love how shits hit the fan on ex-div dates.

Duey
Sep 5, 2004

Hi
Nap Ghost
Citigroup and QCOM have been really performing for me lately. Of course I made the decision to buy XLNX the week before apparent profit-taking so as always, two steps forward, one back. Wish I had posted about QCOM when I bought it so I could legitimately do a :smug: .

We'll see how Citigroup fares with the Government sell back and the Greek crisis.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Plastic Jesus
Aug 26, 2006

Duey posted:

Citigroup and QCOM have been really performing for me lately. Of course I made the decision to buy XLNX the week before apparent profit-taking so as always, two steps forward, one back. Wish I had posted about QCOM when I bought it so I could legitimately do a :smug: .

We'll see how Citigroup fares with the Government sell back and the Greek crisis.

QCOM always has a good March. I have no idea why, but it averages around 10% up in March.