Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FecalFajita
Jun 27, 2003
8=======D--
I just want to throw this out there for the people that are thinking about spending $600 on an access port for a stage 1 tune...A friend of mine just got his stock 05 LGT tuned opensource by a tuner that has a great reputation in Minneapolis.

The car feels completely different. Before it was a bit laggy and unresponsive, now it rips. The boost kicks in way earlier and harder. It's really amazing for a stock car.

He paid the tuners standard rate for a "stage 1" tune, $75.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chriskory
Aug 18, 2004

Back when I was actively driving I drove Akina even in my dreams

Blaise posted:

Problem is this: Car is 350 miles (6hrs) away. Edmunds says the price is about dead on... but cars.com, autotrader, ebay, and CL all show nothing below $8500. If it's a good deal I'll make the drive, otherwise I'll just sit and wait.

I'm driving 6 hours for a rallycross tomorrow. To buy a car it's easy to get a flight out and be back before dinner.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

cmorrow001 posted:

Anyone have an opinion? I'm leaning towards the non-dealer to save money but I'd swing the extra if it's worth it.

For what it's worth, the service isn't terribly hard. Drain and replace coolant, flush brake system, replace air filter, replace fuel filter, replace spark plugs.

That said, a few of those items tend to be a pain. I always have trouble getting the fuel lines off the fuel filter and since you said you have an 05, you'd be doing that in the trunk rather than the engine bay which would make it worse. The spark plugs can be a pain too.

In all, it's probably close to $150 parts/fluids. $250 in labor isn't SO out of line for not putting up with the annoyances inherent in some of the maintenance.

As long as the independent shop is planning on doing the above items, then it should be ok. I would recommend though that you buy subaru coolant and have them use it. It's only slightly more expensive, but considering subaru's track record with headgaskets and the fact that the waterpump runs off the timing belt, it's a small price to pay to stay 'by the book.'

DEUCE SLUICE
Feb 6, 2004

I dreamt I was an old dog, stuck in a honeypot. It was horrifying.

FecalFajita posted:

I just want to throw this out there for the people that are thinking about spending $600 on an access port for a stage 1 tune...A friend of mine just got his stock 05 LGT tuned opensource by a tuner that has a great reputation in Minneapolis.

The car feels completely different. Before it was a bit laggy and unresponsive, now it rips. The boost kicks in way earlier and harder. It's really amazing for a stock car.

He paid the tuners standard rate for a "stage 1" tune, $75.

Do you know who he went to?

My WRX is at the dealer getting it's 30k maintenance right now (only 9500 miles too late!) I know I'm paying more than I should be for it but I figure while I'm still under warranty I'm going to do everything at the dealership.

Blaise
Sep 10, 2003

Chriskory posted:

I'm driving 6 hours for a rallycross tomorrow. To buy a car it's easy to get a flight out and be back before dinner.

That would cost more and if I don't buy the car I'm SOL.

Bud Manstrong
Dec 11, 2003

The Curse of the Flying Criosphinx

nm posted:

For what it is worth, my engine is hosed (100psi on 4th cyl with 60% loss leakdown).
I'm still not sure which tune killed it (though I'm 99.9% sure it wasn't stg2), as it is still completely drivable. I've had stock, cobb stg 1, and cob stg2 on it. Note that my car has a hold load of auto-xes on it and a dozen or so trackdays.
The most interesting thing to me is that I had this had almost no signs. I still have no noticeable power loss (I can still pull on the cars I'm supposed to) and until I put the downpipe on and upped the boost, my oil consumption was "normal" (5qt per 1000mi). Hell, even my UOAs are perfectly clean.
So what I'm saying is get a leakdown before your warranty runs. I'm pretty drat sure this happened during my powertrain warranty, but now I'm 20k after the warranty ran and I'm hosed.
Welp. I just passed powertrain by 2k, so whatever happens happens. I've only done one autocross with the car, doing a trackday next weekend. Generally drive like a grandma to get decent mileage out of it. I have a good relationship with the mechanic who works on my car, so I'll see if they'll test it next time I take it into the dealership; if it's hosed now, I might be able to argue SOA into covering it.

FecalFajita
Jun 27, 2003
8=======D--

warwick5s posted:

Do you know who he went to?

http://www.bullwinkletuning.com/

TurboLuvah
Jul 24, 2004

Scientifically proven to be more fuel efficient than hybrids!

nm posted:

my oil consumption was "normal" (5qt per 1000mi)

:wtc: 5qts/1000mi is NORMAL? According to who?

What the hell, when I had my Stg 2 LGT wagon (270whp/297wtq), I used maybe .5-1qt between oil changes. I didn't auto-x or track it, but I drove the gently caress out of it.

Blaise posted:

Okay - yet another "should I buy this Subauru" whine post from me. I need something other than my miata for when I need to move crap.

2005 Legacy 2.5i (base) wagon in black with dark interior. 5MT, 92k miles, supposedly with full maintenance records. Original owner, 67 years old, includes a spare set of alloys that the guy used to use for snow tires..

Price is $7250, not negotiable. FM reception supposedly sucks (could be a number of things according to legacygt.com) and it has a small dent in the rear bumper.

Problem is this: Car is 350 miles (6hrs) away. Edmunds says the price is about dead on... but cars.com, autotrader, ebay, and CL all show nothing below $8500. If it's a good deal I'll make the drive, otherwise I'll just sit and wait.

$7200 for that car is a loving STEAL, if I had the money I would go buy it out from under you.

Tatrakrad
May 14, 2007

I cited my sources and all he said was, "owned owned owned owned owned"
Got a 2010 WRX Limited today. I thought I wouldn't be able to find a non STI wagon in Texas but a few phone calls got me a Dallas auto show display car that was between dealerships. The sales guy told me it was rare as gently caress, so I was glad to get it before it was officially put up for sale. I wasn't looking at a limited initially, since I don't really care about leather and sunroofs, but I really couldn't be happier. The 1000 mile break in is going to be the most blue-ball inducing driving experience ever.

Click here for the full 1600x1200 image.

Hog Obituary
Jun 11, 2006
start the day right

Tatrakrad posted:

Got a 2010 WRX Limited today. I thought I wouldn't be able to find a non STI wagon in Texas but a few phone calls got me a Dallas auto show display car that was between dealerships. The sales guy told me it was rare as gently caress, so I was glad to get it before it was officially put up for sale. I wasn't looking at a limited initially, since I don't really care about leather and sunroofs, but I really couldn't be happier. The 1000 mile break in is going to be the most blue-ball inducing driving experience ever.

Click here for the full 1600x1200 image.

I've been thinking about one of these for a while too... What made you decide the STi wasn't worth it?

Tatrakrad
May 14, 2007

$8000 and the fact that I'm a 21 year old male who lives in New York, insurance wise.

ab0z
Jun 28, 2008

by angerbotSD

Tatrakrad posted:

$8000 and the fact that I'm a 21 year old male who lives in New York, insurance wise.

Yeah, until they give the STi a serious bump in power, it's not worth the extra money for most people.

Tatrakrad
May 14, 2007

I just wish I could stop burning the clutch. I've only done it twice but gently caress the smell.

So bad.

In my defense I haven't owned a car in three years. I had leftover college money though so I really wanted a car I could be happy with for the next 5 or more years until I can start making money. Seats folded it looks like I could probably fit 2 of those huge Arri light cases, c-stands, plus camera and tripod.

ab0z
Jun 28, 2008

by angerbotSD
Wagons are good like that. I've got a bigass sandblasting cabinet in the back of mine right now.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug
I haven't put anything big in the back of my wagon yet except for the summer tires I got with it. I guess I'll have to go buy something big and haul it around.

Speaking of tires, I'm looking at wheels (because the aforementioned tires didn't come with any wheels and the alloys are beat up): is there anything I need to know about offset and the Subaru suspension geometry? There seems to be a lot of argument about which offsets are actually tolerable without loving up the suspension. Once I get these lowering springs off, I'll probably want to keep as much suspension action as I possibly can.

Some used Speedline rally wheels I'm looking at are 17x7.5 with +48 offset, and I'm pretty sure the stock 17" wheels are at least 50mm.

e: I think the tires I have are 215-width, but I should definitely make sure. NASIOC's big offset thread seems to imply it will clear.

Seat Safety Switch fucked around with this message at 23:50 on Mar 19, 2010

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

Blaise posted:

Okay - yet another "should I buy this Subauru" whine post from me. I need something other than my miata for when I need to move crap.

2005 Legacy 2.5i (base) wagon in black with dark interior. 5MT, 92k miles, supposedly with full maintenance records. Original owner, 67 years old, includes a spare set of alloys that the guy used to use for snow tires..

Price is $7250, not negotiable. FM reception supposedly sucks (could be a number of things according to legacygt.com) and it has a small dent in the rear bumper.

I helped someone shop almost this car less than a year ago, and yes, if it is in good shape, buy the drat thing unless the value of these has crashed.
Problems we found with 2.5i we looked at was some headgasket issues (loving subarus that poo poo is supposed to be fixed and these may have been freak things) and some oil leaks near the back of the motor.

I think the FM reception sucks stock. Be warned that the antenna is on the rear window, so I'm not sure how cheap that is to fix.

Blaise
Sep 10, 2003
I'm not that worried, the head unit will be replaced like on day one with something that has ipod controls. Thank god for that metra kit that's included for free on crutchfield.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

Blaise posted:

I'm not that worried, the head unit will be replaced like on day one with something that has ipod controls. Thank god for that metra kit that's included for free on crutchfield.
You're lucky you're getting the 2.5i for that. The LGT's integrated automatic climate control makes things much more interesting.

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

I'll set the building on fire

JayKay posted:

I'm looking locally at a couple of cheaper used dealer Subarus and I'm hoping to check them out today.

98 Legacy L w/76,635 $4995 Auto
98 Legacy L w/70,626 $4995 Auto

those two out of the four. but not for $5k. maybe 3500.

jailbait#3
Aug 25, 2000
forum veteran

jamal posted:

Yeah, for that price, I'd want to see a new timing belt installed (regardless of mileage) and some serious maintenance, new tires, etc.

JayKay
Sep 11, 2001

And you thought they were cute and cuddly.

jamal posted:

Yeah, I've noticed that the Subarus here in the DC area seem to be running a bit more expensive than elsewhere :(

toplitzin
Jun 13, 2003

It's time for new tires.

I'm debating a set of RE11's., Tire rack has them for $145 apiece.
Discount tire has Bridgestone Potenza RE760 for $125.

Living in Florida allows me to run a summer tire all year. What are some other suggestions, Perhaps lower on the Price/Value chart. I can spend that much on tires, but if I never even AutoX my car, should I even bother with the RE11's? If not, whats a decent road tire that will have a decent wear life but also more performance?

AnomalousBoners
Dec 22, 2007

by Ozma

toplitzin posted:

It's time for new tires.

I'm debating a set of RE11's., Tire rack has them for $145 apiece.
Discount tire has Bridgestone Potenza RE760 for $125.

Living in Florida allows me to run a summer tire all year. What are some other suggestions, Perhaps lower on the Price/Value chart. I can spend that much on tires, but if I never even AutoX my car, should I even bother with the RE11's? If not, whats a decent road tire that will have a decent wear life but also more performance?

Written by tire rack but pretty close to what Ive seen here. FWIW I have Sumitomo HTR Z IIIs and they're pretty good on my near stock (at the moment) 02 WRX. http://forums.nasioc.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1753562

toplitzin
Jun 13, 2003

RealKyleH posted:

Written by tire rack but pretty close to what Ive seen here. FWIW I have Sumitomo HTR Z IIIs and they're pretty good on my near stock (at the moment) 02 WRX. http://forums.nasioc.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1753562

Hmmm, The Dunlop Direzza Sport Z1 Star Spec is $105 per tire with a $50 rebate. this could be the win. How are your HTR Z III's with wet handling since we love out rains here?

I think unless anyone has a different opinion I'll pull the trigger on the dunlops later today.

AnomalousBoners
Dec 22, 2007

by Ozma

toplitzin posted:

Hmmm, The Dunlop Direzza Sport Z1 Star Spec is $105 per tire with a $50 rebate. this could be the win. How are your HTR Z III's with wet handling since we love out rains here?

I think unless anyone has a different opinion I'll pull the trigger on the dunlops later today.

Quite well though Ive only had the POs tires and these on this car.

Blaise
Sep 10, 2003

toplitzin posted:

Tirerack review was pretty good on those Dunlops. I'll be buying them for my miata soon...

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad

toplitzin posted:

They tend to be a bit quick with wear rate. On a light car like the Miata if not driven too crazily, you should see 10k easily, though.

toplitzin
Jun 13, 2003

kimbo305 posted:

They tend to be a bit quick with wear rate. On a light car like the Miata if not driven too crazily, you should see 10k easily, though.

Reading the Tirerack reviews, some people were reporting them at 15K+ even with mild track/SCCA days.

Either way, I'll drive em til the end, and enjoy 'em while I can. Ordered, should be here by Friday. :woop:

DEUCE SLUICE
Feb 6, 2004

quote:

Since the introduction of the third-generation Impreza, Subaru has been making incremental improvements to the rally-bred WRX, first with a significant bump in output for the 2009 MY and now the adoption of the STI's widebody design for 2011. And not only does the five-door model benefit from its pumped-up sibling's sheetmetal, but the sedan gets a much-needed testosterone injection to boot.

With a 1.5 inch-wider track front and rear, the 2011 Subaru Impreza WRX's stance is decidedly more aggressive, and with firmer rear subframe bushings pulled from the STI and wider 17x8-inch wheels wrapped in 235/45R17 rubber, the 2011 'Rex is assuredly more stickier than its predecessor.

The cosmetic mods don't end with the widened fenders, as the front fascia receives a restylized front lip spoiler, partnered with a larger, blacked-out grille and intakes. The whole package only increases the curb weight of the WRX by 34 pounds, and coupled with the "265-horsepower" turbocharged 2.5-liter flat-four, the 2011 WRX has the goods to back up its looks... no matter which body-style you choose. Full details in the press release after the jump and expect a slew of shots from the floor at the New York Auto Show.

Wow. I wonder what else is in store for 2011...6-speeds? DI? Unicorns?

edit: Well, it's still a five-speed. That seems really dumb.

DEUCE SLUICE fucked around with this message at 04:07 on Mar 23, 2010

Hog Obituary
Jun 11, 2006
start the day right

warwick5s posted:

Wow. I wonder what else is in store for 2011...6-speeds? DI? Unicorns?

edit: Well, it's still a five-speed. That seems really dumb.
WHAT? Source? That really takes a lot of wind out of the STI's sails.
e: never mind, it's on the front page of autoblog.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

toplitzin posted:

Dunlops will be better in the rain but running auto-x tires (Re-11s, z1 star specs, Kuhmo XS, Ad08/07) is expensive. If you're not auto-xing or doing track days, they're kind of a waste.

I run HTR ZIIIs as daily tires, and Z1s and Re-01Rs (I have a set of both) as track/autox tires. They're all great, but if a daily drive the Z1s I'll only get like 7k out of them. I'll get 30k out of the HTRs.

The HTR weakness owner is rain. They aren't awful, but they aren't great.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Whelp, unless they pull loving AMAZING out of their rear end for the STI, I know my next car will be a 2011 WRX.

8ender
Sep 24, 2003

clown is watching you sleep

bull3964 posted:

Whelp, unless they pull loving AMAZING out of their rear end for the STI, I know my next car will be a 2011 WRX.

The 10 year boy in me wants to see the STI graduate into a super car with some sort of fire breathing twin turbo flat 6.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

8ender posted:

The 10 year boy in me wants to see the STI graduate into a super car with some sort of fire breathing twin turbo flat 6.
I was indicated we might get a Legacy STI that would have exactly that.
That we don't makes me sad. drat you economy! (and reality)

It would have also had a wagon option.

DEUCE SLUICE
Feb 6, 2004

8ender posted:

Send the STi upmarket to compete with the GTR and make the WRX comparable to what the STI is today, maybe?

Tatrakrad
May 14, 2007

Goddamnit, I JUST posted my new 2010 WRX Limited.

This is bullshit.

I still love my new car

8ender
Sep 24, 2003

clown is watching you sleep

warwick5s posted:

Send the STi upmarket to compete with the GTR and make the WRX comparable to what the STI is today, maybe?

Sure why not? I mean the STi has been in a weird position for the last few years because Subaru has figured out how to sell STi power for WRX prices. To continue to justify the STi they have to move it up into ridiculous territory.

Really the strangest gap in their lineup right now is the massive difference between the NA models and the WRX. Its a huge chasm right now. I'm not sure if a weak sauce mid market WRX is the answer or that Subaru would even be able to build one cheap enough to fit there. Maybe the Toyobaru is the missing piece.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad

8ender posted:

Really the strangest gap in their lineup right now is the massive difference between the NA models and the WRX. Its a huge chasm right now. I'm not sure if a weak sauce mid market WRX is the answer or that Subaru would even be able to build one cheap enough to fit there. Maybe the Toyobaru is the missing piece.

Maybe they could cripple a WRX motor with weaker internals and put on a smaller turbo and call it an Impreza Turbo or something. The price gap isn't insurmountable, so I dunno if they necessarily need to do that model speciation.

blargle
Apr 3, 2007
Unless I'm missing something, this appears to be a cosmetic update that adds weight and possibly price (which means I should stop being lazy and order a 2010 already). I don't think the changes are bad, but how does it close the gap with the STi?

Edit: nevermind, looks like a wider wheelbase, wider wheels, and bushings.

blargle fucked around with this message at 14:13 on Mar 23, 2010

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Looks like the interior finally has a few more bells and whistles too.

quote:

The standard tilt and telescopic steering wheel is a three-spoke, leather-wrapped design and features control switches for Bluetooth® hands-free phone function. A new AM/FM stereo with single-disc CD player features Bluetooth audio streaming and hands-free calling, iPod control capability, a USB port, 3.5mm aux. input jack and XM/SIRIUS satellite radio (subscription is extra). An available navigation system integrates a vehicle information center and Bluetooth hands-free calling.

That's about loving time.