Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Athletic Footjob
Sep 24, 2005
Grimey Drawer
Weekend promo: 50% off The Longest Journey and Sanitarium.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Devil Wears Wings
Jul 17, 2006

Look ye upon the wages of diet soda and weep, for it is society's fault.

Blodskur posted:

Weekend promo: 50% off The Longest Journey and Sanitarium.

The Longest Journey is a wonderful game and I've been looking for an excuse to grab Sanitarium as well. This is definitely one of the best deals that GoG has had in a long while and you'll be very sorry if you pass it up.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
Sanitarium is totally worth it.

Zat
Jan 16, 2008

What a fantastic weekend deal this time. I don't think I'll be buying TLJ for the third time (already have it physically and on Steam) but Sanitarium is an insta-buy for that price. Never managed to play that one and I've only heard good things about it.

For anyone who doesn't own TLJ, that deal is a no-brainer as well. It's one of my roughly top 3 adventure games all time. I say go for it, everyone.

Slingback78
Oct 17, 2008
Seconding Sanitarium. It has some issues with puzzles being obtuse, but it's also very creepy and has some really cool puzzles too. The conclusion for the town of lost children's challenge still sticks at the back of brain.

null_user01013
Nov 13, 2000

Drink up comrades
Never played either, snagged both of them, might wait for a deal on another world, I try not to buy the $10 games unless I know I'll play the hell out of them.

Kreeblah
May 17, 2004

INSERT QUACK TO CONTINUE

Taco Defender
Y'know, they keep having these awesome sales on games I've already bought from them, so I'm going to wait until the *Quest games go on sale before I buy them for the fourth time. That'll show 'em!

MonkeyforaHead
Apr 7, 2006

God, you vindictive bitch, why can't I ever have any "me" time

Blodskur posted:

Another World: 15th Anniversary Edition is now on GOG for $9.99.

As has been said, this rather lacks replayability if you've already worked your way through it, but all the same I've not yet played this re-release and would totally nab it... if it were $6. Guess I'll wait for a sale.

Now we just need Flashback.

Kikkoman
Nov 28, 2002

Posing along since 2005
I'll re-iterate that this is one of the best weekend deals that I have seen yet. I have been eyeing both of those games (especially Longest Journey) for a good couple of weeks but the 10 dollar price tag was keeping me away. However, for 5 bucks each I really have no reason not to get it. At least the games that they put out keep me interested long enough to beat them, so my backlog isn't TOTALLY spinning out of control.

Just yet.

GoldenNugget
Mar 27, 2008
:dukedog:

Zat posted:

What a fantastic weekend deal this time. I don't think I'll be buying TLJ for the third time (already have it physically and on Steam) but Sanitarium is an insta-buy for that price. Never managed to play that one and I've only heard good things about it.

For anyone who doesn't own TLJ, that deal is a no-brainer as well. It's one of my roughly top 3 adventure games all time. I say go for it, everyone.

hmmm... My friend gave me his copy of TLJ and I played the hell out of it. I got a copy of Dreamfall with TLJ packed with it. I'm considering to get it again for the digital version. arg.

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob
Went to buy Sanitarium, only to find I'd already bought it. Heh.

Already have TLJ on Steam, so there's more money I don't need to spend.

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich
drat, I wanted those two adventure games, but I'm broke right now. Is it possible for someone to gift me those two games, then I can repay you on Thursday?

Contact me at rirse@msn.com

Rirse fucked around with this message at 16:51 on Mar 22, 2010

Athletic Footjob
Sep 24, 2005
Grimey Drawer
You can't gift promos.

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich
That's right, I have to get get $10 put in Paypal THEN buy the game. That's what happened last time there was a sale that I wasn't wanting to miss.

Rirse fucked around with this message at 16:51 on Mar 22, 2010

mexicanwarlord
Mar 14, 2010

The society of Equestria is an implicit caste system governed by an imperial monarchy; while some ponies were born into modern roles and abilities, the usability of others is limited to hard labor and servants' work.
Op needs to be update to include, DOES NOT TAKE AMERICAN EXPRESS. Had my cart full and ready to go till the checkout ...Derp...Visa or Mastercard.

Mug
Apr 26, 2005

mexicanwarlord posted:

Op needs to be update to include, DOES NOT TAKE AMERICAN EXPRESS. Had my cart full and ready to go till the checkout ...Derp...Visa or Mastercard.

Can't you just use PayPal for that?

Jack's Flow
Jun 6, 2003

Life, friends, is boring
For some reason, I've never played Another World back in the day. Should I just grab right away or be a proper goon and wait till it's on sale for $1.99? How long is the game?

The Bramble
Mar 16, 2004

How often does GOG add new games, roughly? I check it every couple months for Dungeon Keeper, and I'm always disappointed :(

DoctorTristan
Mar 11, 2006

I would look up into your lifeless eyes and wave, like this. Can you and your associates arrange that for me, Mr. Morden?

The Bramble posted:

How often does GOG add new games, roughly? I check it every couple months for Dungeon Keeper, and I'm always disappointed :(

Twice weekly - Tuesdays and Thursdays.

Dungeon Keeper won't appear until they get EA's back catalogue. If they can do that there will be a huge announcement, and possibly fireworks.

Weedle
May 31, 2006

Jack's Flow posted:

For some reason, I've never played Another World back in the day. Should I just grab right away or be a proper goon and wait till it's on sale for $1.99? How long is the game?

Depends on how quickly you figure it out. If you know what you're doing you can finish it in an hour or less, but you'll more likely spend a significant amount of time getting lost/killed.

Serious Michael
Oct 13, 2007

Is only joking.
Twitter:
"For some reason it feels like there's some kind of announcement looming in the air. Very interesting."
2 hours ago.

Then:
"Oh, you guys are reading that last post to believe that there's some sort of announcement coming. Well, that could be. Could be on Thursday."
2 hours ago.

:smith:

It's only Monday.

ImpactVector
Feb 24, 2007

HAHAHAHA FOOLS!!
I AM SO SMART!

Uh oh. What did he do now?

Nap Ghost

Serious Michael posted:

"Oh, you guys are reading that last post to believe that there's some sort of announcement coming. Well, that could be. Could be on Thursday."
2 hours ago.
Why would you post this within a couple posts of someone mentioning Dungeon Keeper? Now you just irrationally got my hopes up. :colbert:

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

I'm just waiting for Origin, Bullfrog, and Microprose-published games.

Can't think of much more I'd want. 2K's back-catalogue? Something like Age of Wonders: Shadow Magic really ought to be on GOG. It still plays great in a window on Win7 and is the only game I feel I can recommend as a Master of Magic-successor.

Shart Carbuncle
Aug 4, 2004

Star Trek:
The Motion Picture

teethgrinder posted:

I'm just waiting for Origin, Bullfrog, and Microprose-published games.

Can't think of much more I'd want. 2K's back-catalogue? Something like Age of Wonders: Shadow Magic really ought to be on GOG. It still plays great in a window on Win7 and is the only game I feel I can recommend as a Master of Magic-successor.

I don't see EA getting on GoG.com, so I wouldn't expect to see the first two. I don't know who the hell owns the Microprose name now, though. It was Infogrames/Atari, but then some other company got ahold of it, and now they no longer exist.

:iiam:

Slantedfloors
Apr 29, 2008

Wait, What?
Is there any chance of them ever getting Mechwarrior 2?

Oh god, I need to hear "Bandits are hostile, repeat, bandits are hostile".

Shart Carbuncle
Aug 4, 2004

Star Trek:
The Motion Picture

Slantedfloors posted:

Is there any chance of them ever getting Mechwarrior 2?

Oh god, I need to hear "Bandits are hostile, repeat, bandits are hostile".

It's pretty unlikely. They do have Activision stuff, but Activision no longer has the Battletech license. They'd need to cut some kind of deal with Microsoft or Smith & Tinker I'm guessing.

It's the same reason there's no Goldeneye on XBLA. Even if Rare and Microsoft want to do it, they'd need to get the Bond license from Activision.

xarph
Jun 18, 2001

tentaclesex posted:

It's the same reason there's no Goldeneye on XBLA. Even if Rare and Microsoft want to do it, they'd need to get the Bond license from Activision.

And EON productions, and MGM, and Sony... Pierce Brosnan's likeness rights are probably in there too.

wafflemoose
Apr 10, 2009

I bought Unreal Gold recently, and my god, how come I haven't played this game before! The single player campaign is fun, but I absolutely LOVE the Botmatch. Too bad nobody plays the multiplayer for Unreal Gold anymore, I'm thinking of getting one of the Tournaments but I don't know which one is better?

ImpactVector
Feb 24, 2007

HAHAHAHA FOOLS!!
I AM SO SMART!

Uh oh. What did he do now?

Nap Ghost

Starhawk64 posted:

I bought Unreal Gold recently, and my god, how come I haven't played this game before! The single player campaign is fun, but I absolutely LOVE the Botmatch. Too bad nobody plays the multiplayer for Unreal Gold anymore, I'm thinking of getting one of the Tournaments but I don't know which one is better?
I always swear by the original Unreal Tournament. :hellyeah: If you liked Unreal, then I think that's the one most like it. The later ones went in kind of a Quake 3 Arena direction with big-rear end armor and a "rawr football with guns" attitude.

Also, they toned down the rocket launcher from a one direct-hit kill (assuming no armor) to needing a bunch of hits even unbuffed in the later versions. It was never the same. :colbert:

My absolute favorite thing to do with the game is to play low-gravity, rocket arena, Godlike AI in Liandri Core. It was great trying to achieve a zen-like trance of dodging rockets and trying to mid-air the AI. gently caress, I need to reinstall that game.

Serious Michael
Oct 13, 2007

Is only joking.
I'm actually hoping the announcement is Soldier of Fortune 2. That's Activision, right?

spiritual bypass
Feb 19, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Starhawk64 posted:

Give Quake Live a try if you haven't.

wafflemoose
Apr 10, 2009

ImpactVector posted:

I always swear by the original Unreal Tournament. :hellyeah: If you liked Unreal, then I think that's the one most like it. The later ones went in kind of a Quake 3 Arena direction with big-rear end armor and a "rawr football with guns" attitude.

Also, they toned down the rocket launcher from a one direct-hit kill (assuming no armor) to needing a bunch of hits even unbuffed in the later versions. It was never the same. :colbert:

My absolute favorite thing to do with the game is to play low-gravity, rocket arena, Godlike AI in Liandri Core. It was great trying to achieve a zen-like trance of dodging rockets and trying to mid-air the AI. gently caress, I need to reinstall that game.

I have played UT2003 before and I liked the gameplay and pretty graphics. I also played a little of UT and was put off by the interface and ugly graphics. I think I'll get UT2004.

wafflemoose fucked around with this message at 19:59 on Mar 22, 2010

Lamacq
Jun 15, 2001

Breezeblock RIP
You love Unreal Gold but are put off by UT99's graphics?

I give UT99 the slight edge over UT2k4, esp. since the communities for both are pretty much gone and UT99 has better bots IMO.

wafflemoose
Apr 10, 2009

Lamacq posted:

You love Unreal Gold but are put off by UT99's graphics?

I give UT99 the slight edge over UT2k4, esp. since the communities for both are pretty much gone and UT99 has better bots IMO.

It's the HUD of UT99 that mostly puts me off. Compared to the HUDs of Unreal and UT2003/2004, it's amuater programmer ugly. A minor nitpick, sure, but it's off putting for sure.

Athletic Footjob
Sep 24, 2005
Grimey Drawer
Gobliiins Pack is now on GOG for $5.99.

dishwasherlove
Nov 26, 2007

The ultimate fusion of man and machine.

Starhawk64 posted:

It's the HUD of UT99 that mostly puts me off. Compared to the HUDs of Unreal and UT2003/2004, it's amuater programmer ugly. A minor nitpick, sure, but it's off putting for sure.

You can minimise most of the hud with +/- like you would in old school fps'. Pretty sure you can scale it in options too. But yes the default hud is ugly.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

Starhawk64 posted:

It's the HUD of UT99 that mostly puts me off.

I'd be surprised if someone hasn't made a replacement HUD after 11 years.

Swamp Zero
Dec 8, 2009

by elpintogrande

Blodskur posted:

Gobliiins Pack is now on GOG for $5.99.

Oh god......

goblins...

yep.. that's a game alright...

EDIT: These adventures beat the poo poo out of any other adventure ever made except possibly the dig and full throttle. Monkey island? That poo poo is way better you have been officially warned~

Gazmachine
May 22, 2005

Happy Happy Breakdance Challenge 4
I missed out on loads of this stuff the first time around. I was more of an Amiga then PSOne gamer, because I could never afford the machines to run this stuff, so I never ventured into much PC gaming at all beyond the Doom, Doom 2 and Prince of Persia days, with the exception of stuff like Blood and Redneck Rampage.

I'm looking for a shite-hot turn based strategy right now. Are the Heroes of Might and Magic games as good as people say on GOG?

Bought Sanitarium because I hear it's amazing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep

Gazmachine posted:

Are the Heroes of Might and Magic games as good as people say on GOG?

To my taste, yes they are. Both 3 and 5 are among my favorites of all times, and both still have a strong community somewhere, still playing MP and waiting for the promised Heroes 6.

Try Heroes 3 and if you enjoy it, might as well try Heroes 5 the recent Kings Bounty games.

And while you are getting into turn-based strategy, grab the legendary Jagged Alliance series, also avaliable on gog.