Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

squidflakes
Aug 27, 2009

SHORTBUS
I'm 6' 4" as well, but a good portion of the people I shoot end up getting a weird high angle if I'm not careful. So, hunching over, bending at the waist a little, bending the knees a little, yeah... it sucks. I end up looking like a polio survivor when I'm shooting.

That or I just get down on one knee. That helps.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AIIAZNSK8ER
Dec 8, 2008

Where is your 24-70?
It becomes hilarious when I hand over my camera to my friends who can be up to a foot taller than me. When going through my shots, it's really obvious who took which photos because the perspective changes so radically.

McMadCow
Jan 19, 2005

With our rifles and grenades and some help from God.
If any Bay Area Dorkroomers are into checking out a local exhibit, I have about a half dozen pictures up as part of a group show. The opening is Friday 3-19 at 7PM at the Backstage Salon and Gallery on Polk Street in SF between Broadway and Vallejo.

My Flickr Page! :nws:

Four Banger
Oct 29, 2008
last night I connected my D80 and SB-600 for teh first time wirelessly, and I'm really surprised by it. worked pretty good.

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
I know you know how to do this.
Get up.

McMadCow posted:

If any Bay Area Dorkroomers are into checking out a local exhibit, I have about a half dozen pictures up as part of a group show. The opening is Friday 3-19 at 7PM at the Backstage Salon and Gallery on Polk Street in SF between Broadway and Vallejo.

This may be worthless sentiment, but I wish I were in the SF area so I could see this. I really like your stuff. I hope it goes well for you.

Pompous Rhombus
Mar 11, 2007
And here I was thinking I was hot stuff at 6'1" :-\

AIIAZNSK8ER posted:

It becomes hilarious when I hand over my camera to my friends who can be up to a foot taller than me. When going through my shots, it's really obvious who took which photos because the perspective changes so radically.

When I was in high school we had these Japanese exchange students that brought a camcorder to this cooking class we did at the end of the school year. It was hilarious watching our chests go by, with the PoV shifting upwards whenever they wanted our face in the shot :3:

McMadCow
Jan 19, 2005

With our rifles and grenades and some help from God.

Interrupting Moss posted:

This may be worthless sentiment, but I wish I were in the SF area so I could see this. I really like your stuff. I hope it goes well for you.

Not worthless at all. Thank you! :) I take all the support I can get.

Hop Pocket
Sep 23, 2003

I am 5'10" and I have to work to get a unique perspective. You freaks are lucky.

fronkpies
Apr 30, 2008

You slithered out of your mother's filth.
5'6" :(

HPL
Aug 28, 2002

Worst case scenario.
Sometimes when I'm shooting a show at a venue with a low stage, I'll just sit on the floor in front of the stage.

Genderfluid
Jun 18, 2009

my mom is a slut
Jeez, you guys are tall. 5 7

hybr1d
Sep 24, 2002

6' 3", but with the crop factor I'm only about 3 feet tall.

Paragon8
Feb 19, 2007

McMadCow posted:

Dude, congrats. Must be quite a thrill. I'll pass the info to a friend of mine in SF, seems like he'd dig it.

Guys, be careful posting your heights on the internet - gotta be wary about identity theft!

fronkpies
Apr 30, 2008

poo poo poo poo poo poo.

going to my girlfriends dads sons christening tonight and he's sprung on me an hour before that he wants me to take over picture duty while he gets up on the alter and stuff, luckily he has Pro nikons but still, im scared.

Everythings going to be ok isnt it guys?

baccaruda
Jan 10, 2008
I'm 5' 4-1/2" and I just refuse to shoot tall people :colbert:

squidflakes
Aug 27, 2009

SHORTBUS

fronkpies posted:

poo poo poo poo poo poo.

going to my girlfriends dads sons christening tonight and he's sprung on me an hour before that he wants me to take over picture duty while he gets up on the alter and stuff, luckily he has Pro nikons but still, im scared.

Everythings going to be ok isnt it guys?

Your girlfriend's brother's christening will be just fine. Don't drop the camera.

fronkpies
Apr 30, 2008

squidflakes posted:

Your girlfriend's brother's christening will be just fine.

Well half brother.

Taking my 7d and 50 1.4 anyway, probably not enough reach with it though.

Bahama.Llama
Aug 17, 2006

Scary Money
You're good to go man. Watch the exposure meeter and keep clicking.

fronkpies
Apr 30, 2008

Well that went well...

As a long time canon user I was handed a D3 with SB800 (I think) and told I wouldn't be taking a "few shots" I was doing the whole thing, needless to say my girlfriend was mortified, and is still quite angry. At this point all the blood drained from my body and I went into tunnel vision, then he said "just get creative" and I nearly fainted.

I couldn't find loving shutter speed, aperture, any flash controls, ANYTHING. The priest then shows me to where Im standing and talks to me for a few minutes about the routine ( I have no idea I've never been christened and am in no way religious) then it starts, and the flash feels like its got half a charge, I get a few shots, really poo poo shots, then as the priest is going on about stuff I quickly try to concentrate and figure out the controls, i find the mode button and switch to shutter speed (was previously on Program, stuck at half a second or some stupid poo poo) but the flash wont fire over 20th of a second, to any nikon user this is probably fine because your used to the system and know how to change it, I didn't.

I'm seriously nearly having a heart attack at this point, all hope was gone. I get a few more shots then the little boy gets his head splashed with the holy water, and the flash wont fire, i keep pressing but it will not fire, and i swear the only reason it did fire was because god himself was feeling sorry for me.

it wasn't fine guys, it wasn't fine at all.

EDIT: All of this happened withing a 20 minute period, and from the time i was given the camera to the time I was told where to sit by the priest was about 3 minutes.

orange lime
Jul 24, 2008

by Fistgrrl
Are christening photos like wedding photos or something? There'll be one picture in the baby book and a few snapshots around, but I can't say I've ever seen people with big framed photos of their baby being christened/baptized or anything. Certainly the kid doesn't care. Why the big deal?

fronkpies
Apr 30, 2008

orange lime posted:

Why the big deal?

I still wanted good photos, as all photographers do I think, so its frustrating when you cant get them.

Ringo R
Dec 25, 2005

ช่วยแม่เฮ็ดนาแหน่เดัอ

fronkpies posted:

Nikon disaster

Sorry it didn't go so well! You are not the first Canon shooter to be defeated by Nikon. A few days ago I saw this nice Nikon promotion thing going on at a really upscale mall. They had a bunch of D3s lined up all with big fat telephoto primes for everybody to molest. I pushed the buttons and turned the wheels but just couldn't figure them out. The wheel, it does nothing!

Helmacron
Jun 3, 2005

looking down at the world
The front wheel changes aperture, the back wheel changes shutter, if it's in manual mode. If it's in Shutter priority, only the back wheel changes things. If it's in aperture priority, the front wheel does stuff. If it's in P, then neither of the wheels do anything.

I feel a little bit perplexed when people get in a tizzy about controls. Both cameras do exactly same thing. They let you control the Shutter, the Aperture, and the ISO values. You need to work out how to do three things on them and you have a helpful little screen on all of them that informs you when you have changed the relevant values. It's not like it's pitch black out there and you're performing your own circumcision with a drop saw.

Also D3s is fuckin' A. Where do you live where they actually show them off? When I bought mine, the store was like "selling these is so rare, we have like, one in stock. Ever."

EDIT: To be honest, I sort of pride myself on being able to work any camera you give me. So every time I see a camera, I grab it, work it out, and then put it back.

milquetoast child
Jun 27, 2003

literally

Ringo R
Dec 25, 2005

ช่วยแม่เฮ็ดนาแหน่เดัอ
Helmacron: Now that I think about it, I'm pretty sure they were set to one of the C modes and that's perhaps why the wheel didn't do anything. Oh and I meant D3, but I don't know how to pluralize it because I fail English. D3's? A photo of the event, shot with a Canon :smug:

orange lime
Jul 24, 2008

by Fistgrrl

Ringo R posted:

I wonder what would happen if you walked through there with a couple of cameras with big white lenses around your neck?

[e] also, I don't know if it's just the lighting in the shot or what, but would it kill Nikon to decide on one shade of yellow? I see at least three different colors. Yeesh.

orange lime fucked around with this message at 00:07 on Mar 20, 2010

Pompous Rhombus
Mar 11, 2007
Well, guess who just earned himself a one-month ban from Rangefinderforum for calling Ken Rockwell "a turd"?

Paragon8
Feb 19, 2007

Pompous Rhombus posted:

Well, guess who just earned himself a one-month ban from Rangefinderforum for calling Ken Rockwell "a turd"?

You would think a rangefinder forum would be more tolerant about calling Rockwell a hack.

Helmacron
Jun 3, 2005

The only person I have ever met, of all the people I've met who own cameras, who really had a thing about Nikon and Canon was this tall guy who always wore a hat because he balded in a really horrible way (hair above ears, encircling the back of his head, top bald from eyebrows to rear skull) and he used to run into the produce section, where I worked, with fruit or vegetables that resembled genetalia and try to make me laugh.

Also he told me off once because, as assistant manager, he could change time tables, and he changed them week to week because he could, and I was an hour late or an hour early, week to week, because he'd swap my shift forward or back an hour. And when he was telling me he was thinking about writing me up for my whatever numbered infraction because I'd arrived late again, I got quite angry and told him to either write me up or shut up, and leave my time table alone. And there was a long silence. And so I added, to fill in the quiet, to stop talking about Nikon and Canon like one was slavery and one was freedom because they both produce cameras and they're both really good.

And he stopped talking about Nikon and Canon from there on. Like I flicked a switch. Like I asked the lady at the bank to stop taking out a transaction fee when I make a transaction and she checked the checkbox that says "don't take Helmacron's money". Which was fantastic. Also he stopped being such a fuckhead and he left my timetable alone and also stopped threatening to write me up.

It was a pretty decent solution, I think.

EDIT: that's not to say he stopped talking to other people about it. He just stopped talking to me.

Also, I can only see two yellows there, one for the logo and one for the product launches. Unless you're talking about the logo being different on the plastic bag comparable to the sign of the logo, which I guess you have a point.

Ringo: the C modes, on the dial, mean continuous high and continuous low. CH and CL. It just defines what the camera will do when you are pushing the shutter button. I don't know what the equivalent is on Canon, but I'm sure the modes would not be dissimilar to Nikon's PMSA and B modes.

Pompous Rhombus
Mar 11, 2007

Paragon8 posted:

You would think a rangefinder forum would be more tolerant about calling Rockwell a hack.

I think there's some grudging approval of him (at least among those who have drank the Leica Kool-aid) now that he's splooging himself over the Leica M9, which is where he came up in the first place. My ban was for "flaming" but AFAIK he isn't even a member on the site.

I'm looking at it as a badge of honor right now but I'm not sure I'll be back; I dunno if I want to be part of a forum where I can't flippantly compare Ken Rockwell to excrement. The posting guidelines are somewhat arbitrary and there's a history of fairly innocuous stuff getting deleted/people banned, it's the guy's personal site and he can do what he wants but eh.

Helmacron posted:

The only person I have ever met, of all the people I've met who own cameras, who really had a thing about Nikon and Canon was this tall guy who always wore a hat because he balded in a really horrible way (hair above ears, encircling the back of his head, top bald from eyebrows to rear skull) and he used to run into the produce section, where I worked, with fruit or vegetables that resembled genetalia and try to make me laugh.

Also he told me off once because, as assistant manager, he could change time tables, and he changed them week to week because he could, and I was an hour late or an hour early, week to week, because he'd swap my shift forward or back an hour. And when he was telling me he was thinking about writing me up for my whatever numbered infraction because I'd arrived late again, I got quite angry and told him to either write me up or shut up, and leave my time table alone. And there was a long silence. And so I added, to fill in the quiet, to stop talking about Nikon and Canon like one was slavery and one was freedom because they both produce cameras and they're both really good.

And he stopped talking about Nikon and Canon from there on. Like I flicked a switch. Like I asked the lady at the bank to stop taking out a transaction fee when I make a transaction and she checked the checkbox that says "don't take Helmacron's money". Which was fantastic. Also he stopped being such a fuckhead and he left my timetable alone and also stopped threatening to write me up.

It was a pretty decent solution, I think.

EDIT: that's not to say he stopped talking to other people about it. He just stopped talking to me.

Also, I can only see two yellows there, one for the logo and one for the product launches. Unless you're talking about the logo being different on the plastic bag comparable to the sign of the logo, which I guess you have a point.

Ringo: the C modes, on the dial, mean continuous high and continuous low. CH and CL. It just defines what the camera will do when you are pushing the shutter button. I don't know what the equivalent is on Canon, but I'm sure the modes would not be dissimilar to Nikon's PMSA and B modes.

Your posts sometimes remind me of one of your pictures, they come from all directions and are stitched together into a somehow cohesive whole. Shine on you crazy diamond.

orange lime
Jul 24, 2008

by Fistgrrl

Helmacron posted:

I saw three, which I circled and picked out below. I'm not sure about the lighting, so the left and middle ones here might actually be the same. There's still no excuse for having two official colors that are so similar to each other. If they'd kept that orangish-gold for their logo and made the new product launches blue or something, it would be fine...it's just having two slightly different colors that bugs the poo poo out of me.

Damnit, you would think that an imaging company would know better :colbert:

Hop Pocket
Sep 23, 2003

Helmacron posted:

The front wheel changes aperture, the back wheel changes shutter, if it's in manual mode. If it's in Shutter priority, only the back wheel changes things. If it's in aperture priority, the front wheel does stuff. If it's in P, then neither of the wheels do anything.

That's funny - almost completely different from Canon (except for aperture priority enabling the front wheel). In AE on my Canon, at leaset, the back wheel allows you to adjust the exposure +/- 2 stops. How does the Nikon let you do this?

Helmacron
Jun 3, 2005

There's a button, where depending on type of Nikon DSLR or SLR you have, that you push then you manipulate the back wheel to whatever exposure you want.

I chose Nikon because I have lenses for it, inherited from my father. My father chose Nikon because he liked their other non-camera products. When I broke my D700 last year, I was going to get the 5D Mark II, but I decided, ultimately, I already have Nikon lenses, the body was harder on the Nikon than the Canon and I needed the way I accessed the aperture and shutter controls on Nikon more than Canon. Those were the main deciding factors.

Also ISO range on D3s is super nice.

DaNzA
Sep 11, 2001

:D
Grimey Drawer

orange lime posted:

Damnit, you would think that an imaging company would know better :colbert:
Ah, the patent 'brown/yellow cast' from everything that has to do with nikon :v:

Also Helmacron you sound awfully defensive about why you've chosen nikon. Yeah I'd agree with you that you've made a good choice to stick with whichever system that works for you or have the most lens with.

But its controls are not that intuitive for someone who never used a nikon before. Not to mention the locks or extra buttons you have to press before changing certain things like the shutter release mode, EV compensation or mode.

Whatever though, like anything that's tech related, remember to read the manual beforehand and you'll be good to go.

Mannequin
Mar 8, 2003

fronkpies posted:

Well that went well...

As a long time canon user I was handed a D3 with SB800 (I think) and told I wouldn't be taking a "few shots" I was doing the whole thing, needless to say my girlfriend was mortified, and is still quite angry. At this point all the blood drained from my body and I went into tunnel vision, then he said "just get creative" and I nearly fainted.

I couldn't find loving shutter speed, aperture, any flash controls, ANYTHING. The priest then shows me to where Im standing and talks to me for a few minutes about the routine ( I have no idea I've never been christened and am in no way religious) then it starts, and the flash feels like its got half a charge, I get a few shots, really poo poo shots, then as the priest is going on about stuff I quickly try to concentrate and figure out the controls, i find the mode button and switch to shutter speed (was previously on Program, stuck at half a second or some stupid poo poo) but the flash wont fire over 20th of a second, to any nikon user this is probably fine because your used to the system and know how to change it, I didn't.

I'm seriously nearly having a heart attack at this point, all hope was gone. I get a few more shots then the little boy gets his head splashed with the holy water, and the flash wont fire, i keep pressing but it will not fire, and i swear the only reason it did fire was because god himself was feeling sorry for me.

it wasn't fine guys, it wasn't fine at all.

EDIT: All of this happened withing a 20 minute period, and from the time i was given the camera to the time I was told where to sit by the priest was about 3 minutes.

That's awful. The D3 is somewhat complicated, and the controls are not intuitive unless you have come from previous Nikons. The instruction booklet, alone, is like 400 pages. Even today I still learn something new every now and then that I had forgotten or never fully understood before because I was concentrating on something else.

I guess the real question is, why the hell were you using somebody else's camera to take pictures of an important event?

Ringo R posted:

Helmacron: Now that I think about it, I'm pretty sure they were set to one of the C modes and that's perhaps why the wheel didn't do anything.

The wheels always do something. The only reason it may not have fired was if they set the camera to not fire without a CF card.

orange lime posted:

[e] also, I don't know if it's just the lighting in the shot or what, but would it kill Nikon to decide on one shade of yellow? I see at least three different colors. Yeesh.

The bronze is what they put on their boxes. It matches the color of the "N" for Nano-Crystal Coat that goes on the expensive lenses. The bright yellow is just a Nikon theme that has always been around. Next to each other, they don't look that bad really.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/shadow-hunter/4342249203/sizes/o/
https://wi.somethingawful.com/6a/6af00abff0309d635c5e6ff26b8adb791e7484a1.jpg

orange lime
Jul 24, 2008

by Fistgrrl

Mannequin posted:

I guess the real question is, why the hell were you using somebody else's camera to take pictures of an important event?

Good point. Hopefully the guy who insisted you use his D3 isn't some kind of gear nut who decided that your 7D wasn't good enough or something?

Helmacron
Jun 3, 2005

Here's the thing, if you accuse someone of being defensive about something, there is almost nothing you can respond with without looking defensive, except to be aggressive, and in a way, you still will look defensive. "why's that guy being so aggressive about being defensive?" You can also change the subject, but then it's like "hey that guy changed the subject" and then it could look bad to you or the other guy and it's a bit wishy-washy really and who the gently caress deals in greys?

And then, because you've locked someone into a position where they have no words, backed them into a corner, so to speak, that's usually the point where they punch you in the face. In my experience, when someone has run out of words, you're going to get punched in the face.

That's why I try really hard not to say stupid keywords like "you're being defensive/ignorant/a oval office"

ANYWAY

I choose sarcasm.

DaNzA posted:

But its controls are not that intuitive for someone who never used a nikon before.

Are you the guy who refuses to learn new technology because it's for the kids? Do you shake your head at LCD flatscreens and avert your eyes when you see kids with Iphones, or poo poo, just Dubai itself, you're like "gently caress that, man made islands". How old are you? You can't get used to something new? How did you learn a camera in the first place? In your "learn period" between 17 and 9 months and 18 and three months? Do you purchase five toasters/shoes at a time, so you never have to upgrade to the next model? Everytime you have to get a new car, it's another Ford Laser 1989 Executive or it's nothing, Goddammit!

People who refuse to learn new things are trapping themselves, they will be old, and they will be ignorant, and they will be scared, just like grandpa who you had to teach the mouse to. Do you remember that? It sucked, didn't it. Learn how to use everything around you, otherwise, you will be that guy you laughed at as a child.

DRP Solved!
Dec 2, 2009

Helmacron posted:

Are you the guy who refuses to learn new technology because it's for the kids? Do you shake your head at LCD flatscreens and avert your eyes when you see kids with Iphones, or poo poo, just Dubai itself, you're like "gently caress that, man made islands". How old are you? You can't get used to something new? How did you learn a camera in the first place? In your "learn period" between 17 and 9 months and 18 and three months? Do you purchase five toasters/shoes at a time, so you never have to upgrade to the next model? Everytime you have to get a new car, it's another Ford Laser 1989 Executive or it's nothing, Goddammit!

People who refuse to learn new things are trapping themselves, they will be old, and they will be ignorant, and they will be scared, just like grandpa who you had to teach the mouse to. Do you remember that? It sucked, didn't it. Learn how to use everything around you, otherwise, you will be that guy you laughed at as a child.

Is this a drunk/baked-post? That was one hell of a pointless ramble. The poster was handed a D3 for the first time and told to shoot an event that apparently had some emotional significance to someone. The Nikon layout is strikingly different from the Canon layout and not everyone masters the use of every camera system as a hobby.

With that said, the first DSLR I ever owned was a D60 and I absolutely hated the wheel on the back of the camera. The thing callused my thumb worse than an N64 controller.

v :ninja:

DRP Solved! fucked around with this message at 06:45 on Mar 20, 2010

BobTheCow
Dec 11, 2004

That's a thing?
^ Damnit, I don't know if I can rightly claim efb when I was beaten by nine minutes, but you're a drat dirty sonofabitch all the same.

Helmacron posted:

awesome awesome awesome

Hahahahaha dude I'm cracking up at your posts, seriously. But I think you're missing the point... he was handed an unfamiliar camera and told to make beautiful images, GO, with no prep time or learning curve, coming from a different, incompatible, dissimilar system. I'd say he was justified in being confused and not at all bashing the innocent, fragile psyche of all that is Nikon. :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pwn
May 27, 2004

This Christmas get "Shoes"

:pwn: :pwn: :pwn: :pwn: :pwn:

DRP Solved! posted:

Is this a drunk/baked-post? That was one hell of a pointless ramble. The poster was handed a D3 for the first time and told to shoot an event that apparently had some emotional significance to someone. The Nikon layout is strikingly different from the Canon layout and not everyone masters the use of every camera system as a hobby.

With that said, the first DSLR I ever owned was a D60 and I absolutely hated the wheel on the back of the camera. The thing callused my thumb worse than an N64 controller.
The N64 controller owned but my sister hated it. She preferred a third party controller like the black one in this picture, that I hated. She consistently kicked my rear end in Mariokart 64, whatever controller she (or I) used.

Also the :rant: was directed at DaNzA, not fronkpies.

pwn fucked around with this message at 06:48 on Mar 20, 2010