Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bradzilla
Oct 15, 2004

The Shaman of Cum posted:

0-4

Yes because win-loss records mean anything.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

yea ok
Jul 27, 2006

yes because the losing streak gimmick worked for

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

Yes hello it is I Kurt's Secret Son

A lot of Puros?

WeaselWeaz
Apr 11, 2004

Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Biscuits and Gravy.

0-4

0-4 in competitive matches, two against stars. Jericho is the top heel on Smackdown and Bryan was allowed to look like he belonged in the ring with him. He had more offense in a Khali match then I've seen in forever, especially for a small guy.

This isn't just a losing streak gimmick, it's a young guy being thrown in with the wolves and being way more successful then he should be. Also, he's 0-3, Miz was pinned in their tag match.

Umbra Dubium
Nov 23, 2007

The British Empire was built on cups of tea, and if you think I'm going into battle without one, you're sorely mistaken!

You don't even need to qualify the asterisks against his 0-4 record. The fact he's had four matches in four weeks tells you they are at least pushing him in a direction - whether you think that's up or down is up to you.

Hockles
Dec 25, 2007

Resident of Camp Blood
Crystal Lake

Umbra Dubium posted:

You don't even need to qualify the asterisks against his 0-4 record. The fact he's had four matches in four weeks tells you they are at least pushing him in a direction - whether you think that's up or down is up to you.

Heh. That would be something classic alright. Vince signs the biggest indy star in the world, and has him lose every match and then release him. It's like he's trolling the entire internet.

DannoMack
Aug 1, 2003

i love it when you call me big poppa
I try to avoid internet wrestling stuff because I don't like spoilers in any respect, so I miss things that are internet sensations, Bryan included.

As a result, I have no prior affinity to him or emotional stake in his success, but I do watch NXT every week and he is clearly the star of the show. If the Academy were giving out awards, he'd be in the Best Actor category whilst the other most-used guys like Barret and Sheffield would be in the Supporting Actor category.

His win-loss record is inconsequential, much like Chris Jericho's is.

Suben
Jul 1, 2007

In 1985 Dr. Strange makes a rap album.
Yeah, it's not like MVP's losing streak where they're doing it to "test" him or whatever but don't have any actual angles or plans for him. He's lost due to things that are mostly outside of his control, has put up gutsy, underdog performances that the crowd gets behind and is feuding with one of the biggest heels in the company who's seemingly insane grudge is the reason Bryan hasn't won.

It's a losing streak but it's being done in a way that's supposed to make him look like a star.

DEAR RICHARD
Feb 5, 2009

IT'S TIME FOR MY TOOLS

yes because the losing streak gimmick worked for

Kenta Kobashi

Free Market Gravy
Sep 17, 2005

I think Danielson is ridiculously overrated, so keep that in mind when you read the following post.

To say the WWE is burying Danielson is absurd.

Does the WWE do losing streak angles to punish/bury people? Yes.

Now explain how it makes sense to use a huge chunk of TV time on a new weekly TV show to bury a guy who's never been seen before by most of the audience. Include in your answer an explanation for why the guy they're burying has a bio that is twice the length and infinitely more impressive than anyone else's on NXT.

bartok
May 10, 2006

Free Market Gravy posted:

I think Danielson is ridiculously overrated, so keep that in mind when you read the following post.

Now explain how it makes sense to use a huge chunk of TV time on a new weekly TV show to bury a guy who's never been seen before by most of the audience. Include in your answer an explanation for why the guy they're burying has a bio that is twice the length and infinitely more impressive than anyone else's on NXT.

It will only be considered being buried if Danielson loses his blow off match with The Miz.

yea ok
Jul 27, 2006

who said hes being buried?

Minidust
Nov 4, 2009

Keep bustin'
Yeah MVP's losing streak was of the "point and laugh" variety; it was a cocky/rich guy getting humiliated and played for laughs. Bryan is a valiant underdog going toe to toe with the best in a way that really gets the crowd behind him. The two scenarios are not even remotely similar (which most people here seem to get, thankfully).

PsiKoTicK
May 3, 2009

He's being berried, they are going to put him in a pit and throw various types of fruit on him. Blueberries, strawberries, rasberries, you name it!

yea ok
Jul 27, 2006

PsiKoTicK posted:

He's being berried, they are going to put him in a pit and throw various types of fruit on him. Blueberries, strawberries, rasberries, you name it!

:laffo::lol::drat:

Free Market Gravy
Sep 17, 2005

Then what was your point?

yea ok
Jul 27, 2006

Then what was your point?

that he was not getting a jesus push. there is a middle ground you know ;)

DEAR RICHARD
Feb 5, 2009

IT'S TIME FOR MY TOOLS

A push to become a midcarder who won't do poo poo.

Umbra Dubium
Nov 23, 2007

The British Empire was built on cups of tea, and if you think I'm going into battle without one, you're sorely mistaken!

This is the 40 days and nights in the wilderness. He is resisting the temptation to elbow Satan to death.

Meat Recital
Mar 26, 2009

by zen death robot
Is Wendi Richter deserving of a Hall of Fame induction? It doesn't seem as if she was around very along, but my knowledge of 1980s women's wrestling is limited. Is Vince just trying to bury the hatchet? (See also Hart, Bret.)

HulkaMatt
Feb 14, 2006

BIG BICEPS SHOHEI

Most likely trying to bury the hatchet.

Rusty Shackelford
Feb 7, 2005

Minidust posted:

Yeah MVP's losing streak was of the "point and laugh" variety; it was a cocky/rich guy getting humiliated and played for laughs. Bryan is a valiant underdog going toe to toe with the best in a way that really gets the crowd behind him. The two scenarios are not even remotely similar (which most people here seem to get, thankfully).

So is Daniel Bryan going to be the next Colin Delaney?

Mad Reverend Rad
Jun 22, 2002

rock and roll's greatest shithead
Colin Delaney never got any offense in.

Speaking of the difference between Colin Delaney and Daniel Bryan, what does the independent wrestler make per showing? I would not be surprised if there was a tier system (someone like Bryan Danielson or Austin Aries making more than Player Uno or Bobby Dempsey.)

I would think that a wrestler would have a going rate but how does one charge the same for showing up at a 500+ Ring of Honor show and a 100-200 Chikara/PWG show? I'm curious for those on this board who have worked in this business, if they can divulge a little bit?

Paper Jam Dipper
Jul 14, 2007

by XyloJW

Meat Recital posted:

Is Wendi Richter deserving of a Hall of Fame induction? It doesn't seem as if she was around very along, but my knowledge of 1980s women's wrestling is limited. Is Vince just trying to bury the hatchet? (See also Hart, Bret.)

First of all, let's be fair: there is absolutely zero criteria for a Hall of Fame induction.

That said, it was Wendi Richter, not Hulk Hogan, who was the biggest star of the "Rock n' Wrestling" connection with MTV. Hogan was the biggest star in the company but when it came to the MTV connection, it was Wendi Richter. Her title win against Moolah (according to Wikipedia) was the biggest ratings MTV had ever had up to that point. When they had her drop the belt to "The Spider Lady", which was just Moolah in a screwjob, it killed Women's wrestling up until they tried to bring it back with Alundra Blaze (Yeah, Rockin Robin was the last Champion, but nobody gave a poo poo after Richter got canned).

She's the first WWE female wrestler to be a draw, so yeah, I think that deserves a spot in the WWE Hall of Fame.

Mad Reverend Rad posted:

I would think that a wrestler would have a going rate but how does one charge the same for showing up at a 500+ Ring of Honor show and a 100-200 Chikara/PWG show? I'm curious for those on this board who have worked in this business, if they can divulge a little bit?

Some guys will take cuts for working for smaller promotions, some won't. Some guys will take less for promotions near his hometown but anything that's out of his way he'll take on extra for travel and hotel. When I worked for an independent promotion in Windsor, Ontario when BCW was on hiatus, there were a few guys who would only take half of their usual pay while Johnny Devine, who at the time lived in Windsor and wasn't getting booked very much, refused to budge from his $250. It's 100% acceptable, but him bitching about not getting booked much when we couldn't afford to book him at $250 really wasn't. Anyway, yeah.

Paper Jam Dipper fucked around with this message at 20:11 on Mar 20, 2010

Skinty McEdger
Mar 9, 2008

I have NEVER received the respect I deserve as the leader and founder of The Masterflock, the internet's largest and oldest Christopher Masterpiece fan group in all of history, and I DEMAND that changes. From now on, you will respect Skinty McEdger!

I have the strangest feeling that everyone who was involved with Wrestlemania 1 will eventually end up in the hall of fame.

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

Skinty McEdger posted:

I have the strangest feeling that everyone who was depicted in the "Hulk Hogan's Rock 'n' Wrestling" cartoon will eventually end up in the hall of fame.

Sorted that for you. Pretty much all I know about Wendi Richter is from watching that show when I was a kid.

FishBulb
Mar 29, 2003

Marge, I'd like to be alone with the sandwich for a moment.

Are you going to eat it?

...yes...

Skinty McEdger posted:

I have the strangest feeling that everyone who was involved with Wrestlemania 1 will eventually end up in the hall of fame.

If they keep bringing in 5 people a year eventually everyone that won a match in the WWE will be in.

Karmine
Oct 23, 2003

If you tremble with indignation at every injustice, then you are a comrade of mine.

FishBulb posted:

If they keep bringing in 5 people a year eventually everyone that won a match in the WWE will be in.

gently caress yes. WWE Hall of Famer Gillberg is something I can get behind.

Mad Reverend Rad
Jun 22, 2002

rock and roll's greatest shithead

Lone Rogue posted:

Johnny Devine, who at the time lived in Windsor and wasn't getting booked very much, refused to budge from his $250. It's 100% acceptable, but him bitching about not getting booked much when we couldn't afford to book him at $250 really wasn't. Anyway, yeah.

Huh. 250 for Johnny Devine. That's very interesting. I would assume that the average going rate would be less than half that? Like, seventy-five to a hundred? Or is that overshooting it?

I know that Indy wrestlers don't make a lot of money (ergo the necessary merch sales.) It's also interesting to see how much money it would take to just get the talent, let alone rental fees.

I remember that Awfulmania ran a price tag of three grand, and that got Jim Neidhart.

Paper Jam Dipper
Jul 14, 2007

by XyloJW

Mad Reverend Rad posted:

Huh. 250 for Johnny Devine. That's very interesting. I would assume that the average going rate would be less than half that? Like, seventy-five to a hundred? Or is that overshooting it?

I'm not entirely sure of the "average" rate. It's really all over the board. I'm pretty sure Johnny, as a former TNA Superstar, was asking for half of his TNA rate. I'm 99% sure Chris Sabin cost us $500 because he was a TNA Superstar.

Cody Deaner, prior to his stint in TNA, was asking for $75. That was with him having to travel from Mississauga to Windsor. A lot of the Mississauga (or BSE guys) were asking around $75. Local guys would ask between $25 and $50. I think Tyson Dux gave us like a 40% discount or something.

Now, this is an Ontario indy. It could be very different somewhere else. I think Sinn/Kizarny cost us $125 to $150.

Female wrestlers are a completely different issue. They get paid *more* than men because they serve the double purpose as eye candy and a wrestler. Our most successful show would have made us profit but because the booker ran an 6 woman battle royale/scramble and each woman cost us over $100, the match alone put us in the red.

Mad Reverend Rad posted:

I know that Indy wrestlers don't make a lot of money (ergo the necessary merch sales.) It's also interesting to see how much money it would take to just get the talent, let alone rental fees.

I remember that Awfulmania ran a price tag of three grand, and that got Jim Neidhart.

If you want to run a show under $1,000, you can do it. It's just going to look that way as well. We were running in a bar bi-monthly with a host of Border City Wrestling guys and were running it pretty shoddy. The venue was free (they couldn't draw bands on Sundays so they wanted wrestling to bring in 100 people), the ring should have been free but since Scott D'Amore's ring never fit in the bar, we had to rent out a ring. That cost us around $400 and we always stiffed the guy.

The truth is, guys getting on TNA means they can charge more. However, I'm pretty sure guys make less in the Northeastern Indies because of the over-saturation in the market. They can live in say Philly or Jersey and work 12 shows a month, and while making less per show, they work more and eventually make more. That's just a guess.

WeaselWeaz
Apr 11, 2004

Lone Rogue posted:

That said, it was Wendi Richter, not Hulk Hogan, who was the biggest star of the "Rock n' Wrestling" connection with MTV. Hogan was the biggest star in the company but when it came to the MTV connection, it was Wendi Richter.

False. Cyndi Lauper was the biggest star in the company when it came to the MTV connection. Richter was in the right place at the right time, any average woman worker who wasn't ugly could have taken her place as long as you had Lauper.

quote:

Yeah, Rockin Robin was the last Champion, but nobody gave a poo poo after Richter got canned

Nobody gave a poo poo before Richter was fired. Womens' wrestling wasn't the appeal, Lauper was. They did B-shows with Richter/Moolah on top that did badly because they weren't the draw.

quote:

She's the first WWE female wrestler to be a draw, so yeah, I think that deserves a spot in the WWE Hall of Fame.

Again, false, Lauper and Albano were the draws. The fact that Lauper isn't in the Hall of Fame is pretty stupid, actually.

Paper Jam Dipper
Jul 14, 2007

by XyloJW

WeaselWeaz posted:

False. Cyndi Lauper was the biggest star in the company when it came to the MTV connection. Richter was in the right place at the right time, any average woman worker who wasn't ugly could have taken her place as long as you had Lauper.

True, but it doesn't change the fact she drew with her. You need a wrestler to make it work and Richter was the wrestler. Could any wrestler have taken Roddy Piper's place in the feud against Mr. T?

WeaselWeaz posted:

Again, false, Lauper and Albano were the draws. The fact that Lauper isn't in the Hall of Fame is pretty stupid, actually.

I agree with that. With the WWE officially opening up a Celebrity wing I'm sure it's in due time.

battlemonk
Dec 10, 2008
Lone Rogue—since you seem to be active in this thread right now, I want to ask you about BCW. I think you should be able to e-mail me through my profile.

Paper Jam Dipper
Jul 14, 2007

by XyloJW

battlemonk posted:

Lone Rogue—since you seem to be active in this thread right now, I want to ask you about BCW. I think you should be able to e-mail me through my profile.

It says email is disabled. If you cannot ask it here, just toss me an email: owner@lonerogue.com

Dr. Ass
Apr 21, 2008

anakha posted:

Just imagine what the pyro guy was thinking after No Way Out.

The only thing that went through his head was Taker's fist.

WeaselWeaz
Apr 11, 2004

Lone Rogue posted:

True, but it doesn't change the fact she drew with her. You need a wrestler to make it work and Richter was the wrestler. Could any wrestler have taken Roddy Piper's place in the feud against Mr. T?

Richter could have been replaced by anyone, she had almost nothing to do with drawing the match. Here's a better comparison: Does Lashley deserve to be in the Hall of Fame? He had a similar role in the Vince/Trump fued, which was a giant angle which helped draw the biggest Wrestlemania buyrate ever.

If you don't understand how stupid it is to compare the roles of Piper and Richter you probably shouldn't be arguing this. Piper was the top heel in the company leading up to Mr. T's involvement and is one of the greatest heels ever. Richter was a body in the right place at the right time.

Edited: One of my sentences made no sense because I forgot to delete part. I suck.

WeaselWeaz fucked around with this message at 00:25 on Mar 21, 2010

The Cosby Mysteries
Oct 5, 2007

Happy Birthday, Mr. President
Do you think Vince will ever induct Brock Lesnar into the Hall of Fame?

Writer Cath
Apr 1, 2007

Box. Flipped.
Plaster Town Cop

The Cosby Mysteries posted:

I don't think Vince is keen on inventing the Cup of Coffee Award.

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

The Cosby Mysteries posted:

If Brock Lesnar becomes a household name (in something less niche than MMA or pro wrestling) that could get the HoF (and so the WWE) some mainstream press then sure he would, in a cold second. Or if Lesnar dominates the UFC for a number of years then he would to hopefully lure in some MMA fans. This is all presuming Brock would be willing to show up and play ball.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pneub
Mar 12, 2007

I'M THE DEVIL, AND I WILL WASH OVER THE EARTH AND THE SEAS WILL RUN RED WITH THE BLOOD OF ALL THE SINNERS

I AM REBORN
"Has a parrot" is sufficient credentials to make it into the HoF. Flip a coin to see if anyone mentioned so far will get inducted.