Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
h_double
Jul 27, 2001

Metroixer posted:

Are there any books that can help someone who may be defined as music retarded to help get into learning how to make this kind of music?

The most experience I've had with actually playing music was a piano and I've stopped that a while ago, forget pretty much everything I've learned.

Synthesizer Basics has some good info on basic sound design and how synthesizers work.

The Dance Music Manual is a useful guide to building tracks in specific styles (house, trance, drum & bass, etc.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GbrushTwood
Jul 18, 2004
Mighty Pirate.

trill rear end posted:

more new stuff

drat this poo poo is awesome! do you make and master all your stuff in ableton? What kind of plugins are you using? Also, how do you get that really high sounding synth in the background to sound... well, like it's in the background?

Exadus
Jan 1, 2010

I would get her SO pregnant :catholic: :ohdear:
Well, I've tried to use Reason. Somehow, the interface just dosen't click for me. It seems very.. limiting, for me, personally.

I've been thinking of trying out Cubase? Is the piano roll any good on it? How many good plugins does it have?

trill ass
Sep 30, 2004

buttcop

GbrushTwood posted:

drat this poo poo is awesome! do you make and master all your stuff in ableton? What kind of plugins are you using? Also, how do you get that really high sounding synth in the background to sound... well, like it's in the background?

yeah this is all in ableton. I use massive for all synths and camel phat for a lil sub boost. the high sounding synth is just massive doing a square saw with lfo on the pitch. Its got a little bit of reverb on it and its sidechained. The sidechaining has a lot to do with the "background" sound.

Quincy Smallvoice
Mar 18, 2006

Bitches leave

Exadus posted:

Well, I've tried to use Reason. Somehow, the interface just dosen't click for me. It seems very.. limiting, for me, personally.

I've been thinking of trying out Cubase? Is the piano roll any good on it? How many good plugins does it have?

It has a midi editor (thats piano roll to you) thats been improved and developed continually since the late 80's - and they invented the VST platform.

You do not buy cubase for its plugins, even though it has all the standard ones.

The ones that stand out are:

Effects:
Reverence - A very decent, but cpu hungry reverb unit
Quadrafuzz - A multiband distortion unit.
Amp Simulator - A sort of cut-down version of guitar rig/amplitube that does the job
GEC-30 - A 30 band graphic EQ
Bitcrusher - Its.. A bit crusher.
Stereo Enhancer - A decent Stereo Width expander

Instruments:
Groove Agent One - A drum sample player with everything you'd expect.
Halion One - A cut down version sample player of Halion.

These will compete with whats in the plugin market in general. The rest can easily be considered as afterthoughts. The built in channel EQ cuts nicely but boosts sorta harshly.

You can easily get by with this toolset alone. There are a couple of synths, but they are nothing special.

Quincy Smallvoice fucked around with this message at 15:32 on Mar 18, 2010

GbrushTwood
Jul 18, 2004
Mighty Pirate.

trill rear end posted:

yeah this is all in ableton. I use massive for all synths and camel phat for a lil sub boost. the high sounding synth is just massive doing a square saw with lfo on the pitch. Its got a little bit of reverb on it and its sidechained. The sidechaining has a lot to do with the "background" sound.

loving amazing man. Any advice on how to do those awesome glitched out effects on the vocals in the beginning?

mrpeaches
Jan 12, 2005

GbrushTwood posted:

loving amazing man. Any advice on how to do those awesome glitched out effects on the vocals in the beginning?

The glitched out vocals in the beginning sound a lot like the "beat repeat" built in effect in Live, combined with some possible retriggering of the sample manually. Correct me if I'm wrong, trill rear end.

trill ass
Sep 30, 2004

buttcop

mrpeaches posted:

The glitched out vocals in the beginning sound a lot like the "beat repeat" built in effect in Live, combined with some possible retriggering of the sample manually. Correct me if I'm wrong, trill rear end.

effectrix :smug:

mrpeaches
Jan 12, 2005

trill rear end posted:

effectrix :smug:

Ahhh, in that case, GbrushTwood, check Effectrix at http://www.sugar-bytes.de/content/products/Effectrix/index.php

It's a fantastic little plugin, definitely check out the demo. It's wonderful for getting all those glitchy little stutters without spergin' out on manual audio editing.

trill ass
Sep 30, 2004

buttcop

mrpeaches posted:

Ahhh, in that case, GbrushTwood, check Effectrix at http://www.sugar-bytes.de/content/products/Effectrix/index.php

It's a fantastic little plugin, definitely check out the demo. It's wonderful for getting all those glitchy little stutters without spergin' out on manual audio editing.

yeah its amazing! i have noticed some popping and clicking when automating the device on an off. so i just made its own channel where its on all the time so i dont experience that.

ManoliIsFat
Oct 4, 2002

oredun posted:

wow, i thought it was going to be good and it took the worst direction possible. the sample was good(very pretty lights sounding) and then the drums kick in and you just lost me.

so i suggest you make the drums just real simple kick-snare-kick-snare type deal and go from there.

just my opinion tho.
Agreed. steppah, you are just going TOO NUTS with the future garage swing idea. The open hats are just completely off and distract from the rest of the song.

I think every other measure or so, you need an extra kick drum in there. Before that last snare, you need a kick right before it. If the kicks sounds just a little bit more hip hop-y, it'd rule! You also gotta switch up the patterns more. Make your 4th snare hit a beat late or something. More variation the patterns, less plodding.

A good, moody, swelling futuregarage start, but you aint ready to tour with Starkey yet!

Psychedelic
Jul 31, 2009

mrpeaches posted:

Sugar Bytes ARTILLERY 2
also a sweet plugin
(Assign glitchy effects to keys to trigger in real time)

Merkin Muffley
Aug 1, 2006
The Ballsiest
so i decided this afternoon that i really like bass

still needs a whole lot of polish, and im still not sure about everything that ISNT the bass or drum line, but any comments are welcome. im mostly looking for advice on how to tighten up the bassline and make it more.... punchy... i guess.

Minotaurus Rex
Feb 25, 2007

if this accounts a rockin'
don't come a knockin'
Sounds like a really stupid question I know, but how should I start along the path of being able to work out what melodies should follow and what notes are in key with the rest of the song other than by working it out through trial and error?

h_double
Jul 27, 2001

Minotaurus Rex posted:

Sounds like a really stupid question I know, but how should I start along the path of being able to work out what melodies should follow and what notes are in key with the rest of the song other than by working it out through trial and error?

If I'm understanding your question, it sounds like you should go read up on some basic music theory, to get a sense for how scales and chords and constructed, how key signatures work, and what the circle of fifths is all about.

musictheory.net has some good basic lessons, and the Ravenspiral Guide to Music Theory (it's a free download) also has some good info

Meatsplosion
Oct 25, 2006

+3 Meat Elemental
I picked up Music Theory for Dummies and it's been pretty nice so far. The Ravenspiral guide is really nice but I like having the paper book on my desk that I can flip through if I get stuck on a scale.

Psychedelic
Jul 31, 2009

Write everything in CM

Rkelly
Sep 7, 2003

Psychedelic posted:

Sugar Bytes ARTILLERY 2
also a sweet plugin
(Assign glitchy effects to keys to trigger in real time)

You can do this with effectrix as well. I like it better than artillery for midi assigned effect sequences. You can do a lot with a sequenced group of effects bound to a midi note. Both programs are go to for my live performances.

Keanu Grieves
Dec 30, 2002

I've skimmed through this thread, and I have a couple questions:

1) I got drunk last week and started tinkering around in FL (I know, I know). I don't really want to make full-length songs per se (it would be nice, but being a basement producer isn't my highest aspiration). I just like goofing off and making loops and samples that sound good. Am I alone in this? What are some free VSTs that make some spacy, otherworldly or otherwise unique sounds?

2) While the songs are retarded on a lyrical level, I'm really attracted to the soft ethereal bass(?) hits in songs like This Is Why I'm Hot or Day 'N' Nite. How can I achieve this and tinker with it in FL?

3) Is there a piece of software, preferably free, that's maybe not as exhaustive as a full-fledged suite but offers me the opportunity to craft simple beats and modify them in real-time, essentially something that would allow me to create my own evolving techno mix?

I'm sorry if these questions don't quite live up to the professional pitch of the thread, but I really am enjoying learning about this poo poo, and maybe someday my drunk-time hobby could become something more.

Lowbo
Jan 16, 2010
The chords reminded me of a turtle for some reason, and I just saw Alice and Wonderland, so here ya go:

http://soundcloud.com/lowbo/mock-turtle

I am really loving proud of this song. I think it's by far the best thing I've ever made.

SwissDonkey
Mar 29, 2007

Merkin Muffley posted:

still needs a whole lot of polish, and im still not sure about everything that ISNT the bass or drum line, but any comments are welcome. im mostly looking for advice on how to tighten up the bassline and make it more.... punchy... i guess.

That bass is awesome as hell. I liked the intro too, but I think the lead synth should sound a bit less... raw for lack of a better word. It's just a bit too piercing and I feel it detracts from the bass a bit too much. The composition is sweet though, I love the arpeggios.

Keanu Grieves
Dec 30, 2002

Well, I purchased a book on music theory and song-writin'. Got partway through the first couple chapters -- pretty informative -- and then crafted an ambient beat my wife described as creepy.

Oh well...it'll come together soon.

h_double
Jul 27, 2001

bad movie knight posted:

What are some free VSTs that make some spacy, otherworldly or otherwise unique sounds?

Crystal is pretty good at doing evolving soundscape-y stuff.

Sun Ra is fun for just dialing up different ambient noises.

Keanu Grieves
Dec 30, 2002

h_double posted:

Crystal is pretty good at doing evolving soundscape-y stuff.

Sun Ra is fun for just dialing up different ambient noises.
Thanks, I'll give those a whirl tonight!

Fearian
Nov 21, 2007

TSSSSSSssssss...

Merkin Muffley posted:

This is such a useless question... but how did you make bass like that? I guess what I mean is what did you start with and how much did you do to it to get the end result.

Computer Jones
Jun 22, 2005

bad movie knight posted:

Thanks, I'll give those a whirl tonight!

Tweakbench Field is pretty interesting too, it's a collection of field recordings- you can just let them play as they are or go nuts with EQ and effects to make something more spacey/weird.

Keanu Grieves
Dec 30, 2002

Computer Jones posted:

Tweakbench Field is pretty interesting too, it's a collection of field recordings- you can just let them play as they are or go nuts with EQ and effects to make something more spacey/weird.
Yeah, I was messing around with that last night.

Actually, my ambient track was a single loop of four instruments, with enough randomizing effects to give it a pretty unusual, fluid and hypnotic sound. I liked it. I tried to cut an MP3 to upload as an example of my progress, but I accidentally made one that was 16 minutes long (egads!)...and then I had to go to work.

If anyone's interested what a beginner with little to no music background can do with this kind of software, I'll upload it. Please be kind, but I found it encouraging, and hopefully others who are wary of dipping their toes in music production with no prior experience will find it encouraging as well. It probably wouldn't even cut the mustard for a second-rate chill compilation, but it was still vastly different from anything I'd made before.

Now if I could only get away from the 808 kick...

By the way, applying cracked-vinyl effects to a low-volume 808 kick produces a pretty interesting sound, and when you vocode a dampened bass through it...even better. Am I doing this right?

Keanu Grieves fucked around with this message at 20:21 on Mar 20, 2010

Quincy Smallvoice
Mar 18, 2006

Bitches leave

bad movie knight posted:

Yeah, I was messing around with that last night.

If anyone's interested what a beginner with little to no music background can do with this kind of software, I'll upload it. Please be kind, but I found it encouraging, and hopefully others who are wary of dipping their toes in music production with no prior experience will find it encouraging as well. It probably wouldn't even cut the mustard for a second-rate chill compilation, but it was still vastly different from anything I'd made before.

pretty much everything you manage to produce for the next 2-3 years will more than likely suck. I wish it wasnt so, but experience confirms this across the board.

Keanu Grieves
Dec 30, 2002

Quincy Smallvoice posted:

pretty much everything you manage to produce for the next 2-3 years will more than likely suck. I wish it wasnt so, but experience confirms this across the board.
Well, what I'm saying is when I first cracked FL open I was making 4/4 techno beats with no variation and getting frustrated with how little I knew. Then I took some advice from this thread and made something halfway interesting...to me anyway. It was a big step, but yes, I know I can't just wake up and write great songs one day. It takes time and work, but it's a good thing I perceive this thing as a hobby so my personal limitations aren't too frustrating.

nugget of poo
Dec 26, 2003

I've got a stash of 17 music production magazines - mainly Computer Music and Music Tech, with DVDs included - that I'm considering selling through SA-Mart. Would any of you guys be interested?

EDIT: Well, here they are: click here for magazines!

nugget of poo fucked around with this message at 04:26 on Apr 5, 2010

SwissDonkey
Mar 29, 2007

Fearian posted:

This is such a useless question... but how did you make bass like that? I guess what I mean is what did you start with and how much did you do to it to get the end result.

Sounds to me like a simple square or saw waveform, played on a hella low octave with a bit of attack and release, also a gate for the stuttery bits.

Stux
Nov 17, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 45 hours!
brostep. needs mixing properly like heck. and probs less cliche samples :pcgaming:

mezzir
Jul 1, 2007

I'ma rub your ass in the moonshine.
Let's take it back to seventy-nine...
Hi, my name is Mezzir and you might know me from such films as "I can't sing but neither can you"

SwissDonkey
Mar 29, 2007

mezzir posted:

Hi, my name is Mezzir and you might know me from such films as "I can't sing but neither can you"

The lack of autotune was surprising. Awesome as usual.

mezzir
Jul 1, 2007

I'ma rub your ass in the moonshine.
Let's take it back to seventy-nine...
Two new tracks up on my Youtube page :) (the first two ones in the list on the right, and neither are remixes :psyduck:)

http://www.youtube.com/mezzir

Laserjet 4P
Mar 28, 2005

What does it mean?
Fun Shoe

bad movie knight posted:

I just like goofing off and making loops and samples that sound good. Am I alone in this?
No.

quote:

What are some free VSTs that make some spacy, otherworldly or otherwise unique sounds?
Actually, it's better to approach it differently, and start with say, samples, that you mangle beyond recognition.

quote:

the soft ethereal bass(?) hits
808 kick drum.

quote:

How can I achieve this and tinker with it in FL?
Give http://www.e-phonic.com/plugins/drumatic3.php a try.

quote:

3) Is there a piece of software, preferably free, that's maybe not as exhaustive as a full-fledged suite but offers me the opportunity to craft simple beats and modify them in real-time, essentially something that would allow me to create my own evolving techno mix?
Ableton Live LE. Nothing comes for completely free unless you're willing to get your hands dirty with something like Jeskola Buzz or something.

quote:

I'm sorry if these questions don't quite live up to the professional pitch of the thread
Personally I like questions like this; but there's really so much to learn and pick up that it's hard to put in a single post.

The best way to get up and running is - I believe - a workshop. Lots of tell, and lots of encouragement to experiment (but experiment consistently; "randomly tweaking knobs" gets you as far as randomly hitting keys and hoping a decent chord progression rolls out.

Laserjet 4P fucked around with this message at 22:28 on Mar 23, 2010

Stux
Nov 17, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 45 hours!

Yoozer posted:

Ableton Live LE. Nothing comes for completely free unless you're willing to get your hands dirty with something like Jeskola Buzz or something.

Or you can just use reaper.

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

keyboard ⌨️​ :clint: cowboy

I do not know

I should mention that until I started rendering this version I had never actually listened to the original song :v:

edited for the more recent version with much better mixing

also edited again because i deleted all of the older versions for the "final"

stringless fucked around with this message at 08:31 on Mar 24, 2010

Merkin Muffley
Aug 1, 2006
The Ballsiest

Fearian posted:

its far from useless, this is the first bass sound i've made that i've been really, REALLY proud of!

i used quite a few layers for the bass sound, off the top of my head i used: several saws sampled from a virus ti (some distorted a little differently from each other, and one clean), several saws from a thor in reason 4 (at least one from the analog, wavetable, and multi-oscillators), and one sine and one triangle wave for the sub bass that was sampled from somewhere i cant remember.

the "performance" part is just a lot of pitch bending and midi editing, theres really nothing fancy about the stutters... there's a little bit of sidechain compression on the bass, but most of the sound comes from the pitch bending.

i know its kind of a crappy description, but its late at night and i want to sleep :( id be more than happy to babble on and on about it some other time though, just ask me!

also, here's the almost finished version of the track

i added an outro and made a few tweaks to all the synth sounds, its still in desperate need of a proper mix and master though...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bouchacha
Feb 7, 2006

Hey kids, I want to make music. I'd say my biggest influence would be The Presets and would love to make music along the lines of electro-house. I also dig disco and early 90s techno.

Here's what I have already:
* Pretty powerful computer, it can play Crysis
* Audioengine 2 speakers
* Plenty of space in my room

I have zero experience in making music except that I really enjoy listening to it. I would also like to learn to play piano and would probably lean towards making modifications via physical knobs rather than using the mouse. My budget is $500. Where should I start? I'm a minimalist at heart so the simpler and more consolidated the set up, the better.

• Locked thread