Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

JerkyBunion
Jun 22, 2002

It's about 3 weeks since I took the FSOT (and many others here). Scores should be coming in soon hopefully.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Omits-Bagels
Feb 13, 2001
What do you all know about Diplomatic Security people/careers? I was looking at the DoS website and it looked interesting. I'm sure you FSOs have had some contact with them.

TCD
Nov 13, 2002

Every step, a fucking adventure.

Omits-Bagels posted:

What do you all know about Diplomatic Security people/careers? I was looking at the DoS website and it looked interesting. I'm sure you FSOs have had some contact with them.

What specific questions do you have?

Omits-Bagels
Feb 13, 2001

TCD posted:

What specific questions do you have?

I'm most interested in the Diplomatic Security special agent position. I guess I just want general information about them.

Do they operate on the same 'two year term' type system. Do they get the same language training as FSO? What do they do on a typical day? Do they ride around in armored SUVs with machine guns or do they just bust you FSOs who are selling passports? Do you the the impression that DSS like their jobs?

Vilerat
May 11, 2002

Omits-Bagels posted:

I'm most interested in the Diplomatic Security special agent position. I guess I just want general information about them.

Do they operate on the same 'two year term' type system. Do they get the same language training as FSO? What do they do on a typical day? Do they ride around in armored SUVs with machine guns or do they just bust you FSOs who are selling passports? Do you the the impression that DSS like their jobs?

Same foreign service rotation schedule (2-4 years per post, usually 3). Language training depends on the position though as you only get language training if you are going to a language designated position. Our RSO here had to get it so anecdotally I'm going to lean yes?

Your job depends on your post. At a normal post you are in charge of all security related things such as managing the emergency and evacuation radio network, you manage the local guards, you administratively manage the Marine security det at post (kinda), you're responsible for investigations and you do a shitload of paperwork.

Or you could be assigned as a protective detail safely moving principal officers around town (bodyguard). Others get assigned to stateside passport/visa fraud posts and do that kind of stuff.

Homie S
Aug 6, 2001

This is what it means
I've done some research on the job cause I'm waiting on my medical and background to clear for DSS. If you have questions about the pre-employment process, feel free to PM me.

JerkyBunion
Jun 22, 2002

This is neat and tangentially related to the current discussion (MSGs).

quote:

Marine saves injured man after hippo attack

3/22/2010 By Lance Cpl. Benjamin Harris , Headquarters Marine Corps

“It all started with an early [canoe ride] up the Zambezi River,” said Cpl. Justin Trinidad, a Marine security guard with Detachment Harare, Zimbabwe, Marine Corps Embassy Security Group.

The day that began with a simple tour ended with Trinidad saving the life of another man on the safari after the group was attacked by a hippopotamus March 14.

Trinidad, a Fort Lauderdale, Fla., native, and his girlfriend, Kaylynn Hankey, were enjoying a guided trip up the Zambezi River when one of the guides began shouting that there was a hippo in the water and everyone needed to paddle to shore, said Trinidad. Three of the boats did just that, but Javier and Patricia Franco didn’t hear the warnings until the hippo approached them.

“All I saw was the couple being launched a few meters in the air,” said Trinidad.

The wife landed a safe distance from the animal, but the husband landed right on top of it, said Hankey. The hippo went back underwater, and no one wanted to move.

“We were still freaked out because we didn’t know where the hippo was,” said Trinidad.

Trinidad realized something had to be done when he noticed that Patricia was struggling inside her oversized life jacket and heard Javier complaining about his leg, both still in the water.

Trinidad said he thought to himself, “God, please watch over me, because I’m about to do something stupid.”

He instructed Hankey to help him get to the couple, rowing over where the hippo was last seen. Hankey said she wanted to turn back, but Trinidad encouraged her to keep going.

“He said to me ‘I need you to be strong, calm down, and help me out,’” said Hankey.

As they approached the couple in the water, Trinidad realized that Javier required immediate medical attention. They steered the canoe close enough for the couple to grab on to the side of the boat before it was swept away by the river’s strong current.

As they rode the current, Patricia managed to let go of the boat in shallower waters and wade to the riverbank as the rest of the group continued to be taken downriver by the current. Hankey, who remained in the boat, grabbed on to an overhanging tree in an attempt to stop the canoe, but fell out instead. She held on to the branch until one of the guides could help her to shore.

Trinidad managed to steer the canoe to a rock in a shallow part of the river as the injured man held on. After helping Javier into the boat and pulling it to shore, the Marine began to assess the situation.

“That’s when I noticed that his foot was hanging by a piece of skin,” said Trinidad.

One of the guides came out of the brush and was overwhelmed by the extent of Javier’s injury. Trinidad calmed him down and tried several options for a tourniquet, eventually using a neck strap from a pair of binoculars. With the bleeding under control, Trinidad and the guides tried to figure out how to get the man to a hospital.

A family on a fishing trip pulled up in an all-terrain vehicle an hour later. Trinidad helped load the injured man into the back of the car using a deflated canoe as a stretcher. More than four hours and a car and plane ride later, Javier was in stable condition at a hospital in Johannesburg, South Africa.

Although Trinidad could not save the man’s foot, he said he was pleased when he heard how happy the Franco’s children were to be reunited with their parents.

“My dad died when I was little, so I was glad I could save [their] dad,” said Trinidad.

He doesn’t acknowledge his actions as a big deal. Trinidad said he saw worse things during his three deployments to Iraq as a field radio operator. But for those who witnessed the ordeal, including the Franco children, his actions were nothing short of heroic.

“My first instinct was to jump out of the boat,” said Hankey. “I was emotional, but Justin [Trinidad] stayed strong and helped us all. Honestly, if Justin wasn’t there, Javier would have died.”

http://www.marines.mil/unit/hqmc/Pages/Marinesavesinjuredmanafterhippoattack.aspx

Xandu
Feb 19, 2006

It's hard to be humble when you're as great as I am.
That's a pretty cool story, but I had no idea that there even was such a thing as a hippo attack.

edit: Thanks wikipedia

quote:

Hippos are very aggressive towards humans and are often considered one of the most dangerous large animals in Africa.[51][52] In fact, hippos are known to attack humans and boats.[53]
To mark territory, hippos spin their tails while defecating to distribute their excrement over the greatest possible area.

Xandu fucked around with this message at 21:08 on Mar 22, 2010

shmoop
Feb 25, 2010

Xandu posted:

That's a pretty cool story, but I had no idea that there even was such a thing as a hippo attack.

edit: Thanks wikipedia

Hippos are death machines. I realize how strange that sounds, but if you have ever spent time on or around the water in southern Africa, some of that time has been spent fleeing from hippos. I wish I could onomatopoetically reproduce their stupid, stupid sounds that they make while they sit there, waiting, just barely poking out of the water, but I can't. Something like hrrrn hrrrn hrrrn hrrrn hrrrn.

JerkyBunion
Jun 22, 2002

Last stat I heard said that Hippos killed more humans every year than any other animal.

Hippos coincidentally are one of my favorite animals. :)

Vilerat
May 11, 2002
I hate pouch so much right now. One person IT posts are awesome until you have to ship 10 monitors, 10 comptuers, 5 printers, and a bunch of servers/switches back to DC.

Pompous Rhombus
Mar 11, 2007

Vilerat posted:

I hate pouch so much right now. One person IT posts are awesome until you have to ship 10 monitors, 10 comptuers, 5 printers, and a bunch of servers/switches back to DC.

If only they had hired me :negative:

TCD
Nov 13, 2002

Pompous Rhombus posted:

If only they had hired me :negative:

Singleton posts man...

Pompous Rhombus
Mar 11, 2007

TCD posted:

Singleton posts man...

I was talking about the courier thing, unless I'm getting the meaning of "pouch" wrong (entirely likely).

Vilerat
May 11, 2002

Pompous Rhombus posted:

I was talking about the courier thing, unless I'm getting the meaning of "pouch" wrong (entirely likely).

For the pouch to be sent by courier it must first be packed, sealed, entered in ILMS, and you need to take it to the airport to be met by courier. Pain in the rear end.

TCD
Nov 13, 2002

Vilerat posted:

For the pouch to be sent by courier it must first be packed, sealed, entered in ILMS, and you need to take it to the airport to be met by courier. Pain in the rear end.

Sup...

Edit: Also I feel your pain, but add an extra 300 kilos of outbound to that.

Weeeeee!

TCD fucked around with this message at 01:03 on Mar 24, 2010

Vilerat
May 11, 2002

TCD posted:

Sup...

Edit: Also I feel your pain, but add an extra 300 kilos of outbound to that.

Weeeeee!

Imagine receiving a 50,000 kg shipment. We had to get an AN-124 to deliver it. Baghdad pouch was fun...

TCD
Nov 13, 2002

Vilerat posted:

Imagine receiving a 50,000 kg shipment. We had to get an AN-124 to deliver it. Baghdad pouch was fun...

Yeah, can't top that

sah deuudes
Sep 14, 2005
Anybody else get their FSOT results this morning? I was so nervous to open the letter, and was assuming the worst (since I selected the political cone) but I passed!! Hoping other goons are getting similar results today!

Cunninghizzizam
Oct 26, 2006
Came here to post about passing the first part of the exam. Hopefully I don't spend the morning of the deadline feverishly typing out my QEP responses again. Ugh.

JerkyBunion
Jun 22, 2002

I also came here to post that I passed. Did we all pass?

In my letter it gives a link to launch the PN submission form. I just wanted to check here:

This submission form isn't time sensitive right? I want to get the questions but I don't want to open it and have it say "You now have 24 hours to submit your answers." or something.

JerkyBunion fucked around with this message at 20:13 on Mar 24, 2010

sah deuudes
Sep 14, 2005

Miss Fats posted:

I also came here to post that I passed. Did we all pass?

In my letter it gives a link to launch the PN submission form. I just wanted to check here:

This submission form isn't time sensitive right? I want to get the questions but I don't want to open it and have it say "You now have 24 hours to submit your answers." or something.

Submission form isn't time sensitive (we can print out or copy/paste the questions), we just have to have it in before 11:59 PM CST on April 13th

JerkyBunion
Jun 22, 2002

I was 99% sure but didn't want to risk that 1%. Thanks.

Business of Ferrets
Mar 2, 2008

Good to see that everything is back to normal.
Congratulations to all the goon passers!

Leif.
Mar 27, 2005

Son of the Defender
Formerly Diplomaticus/SWATJester
Less than 2 weeks now till my OA. I haven't really had much time to start studying but now I'm in full on crisis "get ready" mode.

Bizob
Dec 18, 2004

Tiger out of nowhere!

SWATJester posted:

Less than 2 weeks now till my OA. I haven't really had much time to start studying but now I'm in full on crisis "get ready" mode.

Good luck. Focus on the ol' 13 Ds and you should be in good shape.

TCD
Nov 13, 2002

Trying to figure out if starting an email with "Dear rear end in a top hat" would be appropriate and/or career limiting. (it would be to an IPO)

JerkyBunion
Jun 22, 2002

Anyone have any detailed post for advice on writing personal narratives?

Vilerat
May 11, 2002

TCD posted:

Trying to figure out if starting an email with "Dear rear end in a top hat" would be appropriate and/or career limiting. (it would be to an IPO)

Having a good day?

Business of Ferrets
Mar 2, 2008

TCD posted:

Well, when my friend wrote a less-direct email with essentially the same message, they tried to fire him. If you aren't familiar with the "Tashkent email," ask around at work; someone is bound to have a copy.

At least you would become a part of Foreign Service Lore.

Business of Ferrets fucked around with this message at 00:03 on Mar 26, 2010

Vilerat
May 11, 2002

Business of Ferrets posted:

Well, when my friend wrote a less-direct email with essentially the same message, they tried to fire him. If you aren't familiar with the "Tashkent email," ask around at work; someone is bound to have a copy.

Like the Ambassador who killed their gay lover in the IPC or something along those lines? I love Foreign Service lore :)

TCD
Nov 13, 2002

Hah, well, I didn't send it, but Vile saw what was leading up to me almost saying something.

Vilerat
May 11, 2002

TCD posted:

Hah, well, I didn't send it, but Vile saw what was leading up to me almost saying something.

I would have sent it. Even his IMO kinda called him out for being a dick. Granted I could have probably gotten away with sending it, new hires likely can't so... :)

Cardamommy Issues
Feb 16, 2005

I've waited around for more important things
I didn't pass the FSOT. Kind of a bummer, but I plan on sending away for the results. Maybe I undersold myself on the biographical section. No idea until I see it, though.

Congrats to all the passers and good luck.

xanthig
Apr 23, 2005

You want to elaborate on that? You can't drop a teaser like that and not explain anything.

Leif.
Mar 27, 2005

Son of the Defender
Formerly Diplomaticus/SWATJester
Would anyone object to updating the OP with some sort of roster of FS goons and what they're up to?

Sort of like

FS Employees:

BoF: FSO stationed in ....
Vilerat: FSO stationed in ....

Awaiting A-100

Person whoever - Cleared on March 10, waiting on A-100 opening.

On Register

JoeBlow (POL) - 5.5
JoeSchmoe (CON) - 5.47

Awaiting FSOA

Blah blah - Annex 1, whenever (POL)

QEP:

Ladida - (MGMT) October '09 cohort.

FSOT - whatevs.

JerkyBunion
Jun 22, 2002

I had a quick question about the Foreign Service Officers in USAID if anyone is familiar.

What is the hiring process like for USAID? From what I've read it's like getting hired for a regular job - respond to a job posting. In your opinion, is it more competitive, less competitive, or about the same as getting hired for State's foreign service positions?

Once hired, what is the training/career path like?

In general, how are USAID FSOs perceived by the DoS FSOs?

Vice versa?

I'm reading Career Diplomacy by Kopp and Gillespie to get ideas for the PNs and prepare for the FSOA and while I knew other agencies had FSOs I didn't realize the management was so departmentalized.

Business of Ferrets
Mar 2, 2008

SWATJester posted:

Would anyone object to updating the OP with some sort of roster of FS goons and what they're up to?

Sort of like

FS Employees:

BoF: FSO stationed in ....
Vilerat: FSO stationed in ....

Awaiting A-100

Person whoever - Cleared on March 10, waiting on A-100 opening.

On Register

JoeBlow (POL) - 5.5
JoeSchmoe (CON) - 5.47

Awaiting FSOA

Blah blah - Annex 1, whenever (POL)

QEP:

Ladida - (MGMT) October '09 cohort.

FSOT - whatevs.

Sure, sounds good. I'm currently in Asia, heading to Baghdad this summer.

cernunnoswired
Jun 13, 2009
I took the FSOT in March as a result of reading this thread and I passed. I'm in the process of writing the QEP. I had a change of heart in the cone I want to apply for but I don't expect to be hired anyway; I just want the experience of the process.

This thread is great!

edit: was consular but would like to change to public diplomacy

cernunnoswired fucked around with this message at 14:51 on Mar 31, 2010

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vilerat
May 11, 2002
Anybody who ever makes the claim to you that you need to go to bad places after good is full of poo poo :smug: