Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MrChips
Jun 10, 2005

FLIGHT SAFETY TIP: Fatties out first

Nebakenezzer posted:

NICE. I found myself playing "identify the aircraft."

Up top are some old Orions, and the green airplanes are two A-10s. On the bottom are F14s and some little aircraft I can't identify. Also, I have no idea what those giant-winged planes are in the center of the picture. Just beneath the airplanes with big wings are some stout looking Jets that are a mystery to me. I want to say F15s, but the wings look kinda swept. Vigilante bombers, maybe?

Left: Shooting Stars? Seriously? They still are hanging on to those? Delta Dart, some Phantoms, some really old looking thing, like a British Canberra. Top are some twin engined cargo planes.

Those "stout looking jets" are in fact North American(Rockwell) T-2 Buckeyes, a basic jet trainer used by the US Navy. These were replaced in 2008 by T-45 Goshawks.

Nebakenezzer posted:

Gubbermint business jets, and down near the bottom, some old Neptunes?

The big piston twins on the right look like Grumman S-2 Trackers, and the business jets on the right appear to be Dassault HU-25 Guardians (Falcon 20 business jets used by the Coast Guard). The business jets on the left appear to be North American T-39 Sabreliners (used as pilot, navigator and ECM trainers by both the USAF and the Navy), and the two prop aircraft on the right are likely variants of the Grumman OV-1 Mohawk.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

Tetraptous posted:

Granted, the XB-70 was a nuclear bomber (or at least, was supposed to be), went Mach 3, and had a vaugely F-15ish twin vertical - certainly not a Navy plane, but maybe that's where the confusion comes from?

The XB-70 at Wright-Patt is really something to behold, and it's hard to conceive of it's shear size without seeing it in person. A much more impressive aircraft, IMO, than the A-12/SR-71. I recommend the museum there heartily, the XB-70 alone is worth the trip but they have tons of other great stuff too.

Click here for the full 1348x1092 image.

I just realized, there are villages smaller than this plane.

orange lime
Jul 24, 2008

by Fistgrrl

Phy posted:

I just realized, there are villages smaller than this plane.

And there are cities that use less fuel per hour. But isn't it goddamn gorgeous?

NathanScottPhillips
Jul 23, 2009

Nothus posted:

B-1B's I think. Didn't the B-1A have a more pronounced dorsal spine? It makes sense that they're being scrapped. They weren't that all that great for what they were designed for, and we wasted quite a lot of money building them. The B-52 holds more bombs and the B-2 is better at penetration.
They were a colossal waste of money, but they were so awesome. Certainly not ugly. The "A" models can be spotted by the longer, sharper tail section. The "B" model's is short and stubby.

The B1B can carry almost twice as many bombs than a B-52, 125,000 lbs vs. 70,000 lbs.

It was also designed to use a Rotary Cruise Missile Launcher, and I think the B-52 may also be able to use this. This is when I realized what the cold war was about :

8 nuke-tipped cruise missiles in each bay, three bays on a B-1.

The front winglets that look like whiskers are completely computer controlled and are there to keep the plane stable in the turbulent low altitude air. It was designed to fly supersonic at only a few hundred feet.

It basically was designed to do the Wild Weasel's job on its way to its primary target. It had a highly advanced ground following radar to accomplish this mission.

It had a crew escape capsule to ensure the crew's safety if they had to eject at over Mach 2.

It is also a monstrous aircraft, it actually makes a B-52 look kinda petite (in person).

NathanScottPhillips fucked around with this message at 02:07 on Mar 23, 2010

Fire Storm
Aug 8, 2004

what's the point of life
if there are no sexborgs?

OptimusMatrix posted:

I've always liked these SR71 stories.
I love that story.

jandrese posted:

You can't talk about the SR-71 without talking about Bill Weaver's account of high altitude breakup of an early SR-71.

Fine, I have yet to hear an SR-71 story that I DIDN'T like. I would love reading Sled Driver, but I don't want to pay $300. I should check the libraries in the area (It's likely in a section that doesn't allow the book to leave the building).

I saw the SR-71 at the Smithsonian's Steven F. Udvar-Hazy Center a year or two ago, and my god, that plane is short. I was expecting something more massive than what I saw, but no, it's just s slender goddess. I think out of all the pictures I took that day (a few hundred), I took the most of the SR-71 than any other airframe.

FullMetalJacket posted:

i love how each time we do an aviation thread it usually dissolves into banter about the sr71 and or the f14.
Some more A-10 love would be great.

Maker Of Shoes posted:

For anyone not familiar with AMARC here's a satalite shot of the "bone yard". It's unreal.
Anyone who says they wouldn't want to walk around that place for a day with a camera is a complete liar.

Maker Of Shoes posted:

I'd give anything to just walk that yard for a few days with a camera. So much history.
SEE?

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

orange lime posted:

Definitely never had anything that went mach 3 -- there are only two air-breathing aircraft that ever did that, the XB-70 and the SR-71, and both were designed as pretty much the opposite of what you need for carrier operations. The MiG-25 could theoretically reach Mach 3.2 as well, and it had a twin tail and I guess could carry a nuke, but it was a suicide mission because doing so would destroy the engines.

No, I was just confused. The Vigilante and the Hustler are all planes I read about 15 years ago in those "aircraft of the world" books, and I was just getting them muddled together.

NathanScottPhillips posted:

Cool, highly informative post on the B-1b

Given all this, I'm now slightly confused as to why there are so many B-52s still around.

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe

Nebakenezzer posted:

Given all this, I'm now slightly confused as to why there are so many B-52s still around.

Strategic bombers back then were expensive and it's a rugged airframe. Plus we have a ton so why trash them?

I think we still have a few battleships in mothballs, just in case. America is fun like that.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
You put WHAT on your aircraft carrier? Yes, that's a C-130.

And it seems that a U-2 can do the same trick.

Puddin
Apr 9, 2004
Leave it to Brak

InitialDave posted:

And it seems that a U-2 can do the same trick.

I'd love to see them try and land it.

Frosty-
Jan 17, 2004

In war, you kill people in order to change their minds. Remember that; it's fuckin' important.

This capsule was used to develop the Space Shuttle's escape pod.
Which is a thing no shuttle has.

NathanScottPhillips
Jul 23, 2009

Frosty- posted:

Which is a thing no shuttle has.
Yeah I guess not, for some reason I always thought that. Maybe I was confused and it was the F-111's escape pod that led to the B-1A's.

a real chump
Jul 30, 2003

noice
Nap Ghost

Puddin posted:

Easy they fly headfirst into a cyclone duh.

MrChips
Jun 10, 2005

FLIGHT SAFETY TIP: Fatties out first

InitialDave posted:

You put WHAT on your aircraft carrier? Yes, that's a C-130.

That's impressive and all, but I think the Credible Sport YMC-130 is even more impressive - with it's ability to operate (almost) out of a 300 foot runway.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fSFjhWw4DNo

quote:

The XFC-130H aircraft were modified by the installation of 30 rockets in multiple sets: eight forward-pointed ASROC rocket motors mounted around the forward fuselage to stop the aircraft, eight downward-pointed Shrike rockets fuselage-mounted above the wheel wells to brake its descent, eight rearward-pointed MK-56 rockets (from the US Navy's RIM-66 Standard Missile) mounted on the lower rear fuselage for takeoff assist, two Shrikes mounted in pairs on wing pylons to correct yaw during takeoff transition, and two ASROCs mounted at the rear of the tail to prevent it from striking the ground from over-rotation.

azflyboy
Nov 9, 2005

Nebakenezzer posted:

Mostly, it's because the B-52's are paid for, they're reliable, and the airframes can be adapted to do basically anything.

The B-52 is apparently more reliable than the B-1 or B-2. As of 2001, the B-52 fleet averaged an 80% readiness rate, versus 53% for the B-1 and only 26% for the B-2.

For conflicts like Afghanistan (and Iraq after the initial invasion), heavy bombers get used mostly in an "on call" role, which they weren't really designed for. Normally, the bomber will simply orbit at high altitude until given a target, at which point they'll release one or two precision guided bombs onto whatever needs to disappear, after which point the aircraft goes back to orbiting until given other targets or going home.

During the 1960's, SAC B-52's maintained a 24 hour airborne alert at various points near the USSR, and the qualities that made the B-52 suitable for that mission happen to dovetail with the smaller conflicts the US gets involved in now.

In areas where there's no real anti-air threat, the B-52's ability to loiter at altitude makes it a more economical choice than something originally designed for high-speed penetration at low altitude.

The fact that the B-52 has a longer range than the B-1 means it can loiter longer without refueling, and on missions where the bombers probably won't engage many targets, the B-1's larger bombload doesn't really matter much.

ApathyGifted
Aug 30, 2004
Tomorrow?

Puddin posted:

They did.

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!

ApathyGifted posted:

They did.

Balls. Of. Steel. :aaaaa:

Chillbro Baggins
Oct 8, 2004
Bad Angus! Bad!

azflyboy posted:

There are also several F-16's sitting out there that were supposed to be sold to Iran before the Shah was overthrown.

Apparently the aircraft are technically the property of the Iranian government and so can't be sold off or scrapped, but because of the arms embargo they can't be delivered, so they've been sitting in shrink-wrap for the last 30 years or so.
I guess we just had a glut of Vipers at the time and didn't need to steal them. I know the Navy got the last one or two F-14s built for the Iranian contract.

Puddin
Apr 9, 2004
Leave it to Brak

ApathyGifted posted:

They did.

It's like watching someone try to land a rocket powered unicycle from 50 feet in the air.

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

An An-124 offroad.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q6bKCsJd2K0

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

ApathyGifted posted:

They did.

God drat, it just jumps into the air on takeoff. Cat? Who needs a cat? Just sail into the wind, won't even need the engines.

BloodBag
Sep 20, 2008

WITNESS ME!

Nebakenezzer posted:

NICE. I found myself playing "identify the aircraft."

Quoting from a while back... That top row are P-3 Orions. I used to live on a Navy base where they still flew those. Bonus content, that base was home for this beast, the USS Macon. And Hangar One in the background is absolutely retardedly huge. Mythbusters uses it a lot. I believe Lead Balloon was tested in that Hangar.

NathanScottPhillips
Jul 23, 2009

PurpleFender posted:

Quoting from a while back... That top row are P-3 Orions. I used to live on a Navy base where they still flew those. Bonus content, that base was home for this beast, the USS Macon. And Hangar One in the background is absolutely retardedly huge. Mythbusters uses it a lot. I believe Lead Balloon was tested in that Hangar.

San Jose, CA? That is where my grandfather was stationed. He also flew P-3 Orions, the one's with the long electro magnetic tail booms to find subs. I think that is now a NASA base. Never seen such a big hangar, those airships were massive.

I posed his pic back on page 3, but I'll post it again cuz I think it's awesome:

Here are some paintings my grandfather had.

The First of the Flying Tankers

The Race that Never Was

Requiem for the Daughter of the Skies

The Day the Navy Sunk Itself

NathanScottPhillips fucked around with this message at 19:26 on Mar 23, 2010

amtrak450
Jul 25, 2001
Late last week I made an inter-library loan request with my university library for Sled Driver. Yesterday I got an email from the library saying they received it. All excited, I made my way there today to pick it up. I get home, open the first few pages and find this:

Click here for the full 1382x1843 image.

jandrese
Apr 3, 2007

by Tiny Fistpump

The First of the Flying Tankers

That goes beyond balls of steel to outright insanity. Who in the world thought this was a good idea?

Edit: It's a wonder the refueling guy isn't smoking a cigarette while doing this.

jandrese fucked around with this message at 17:16 on Mar 24, 2010

InterceptorV8
Mar 9, 2004

Loaded up and trucking.We gonna do what they say cant be done.

amtrak450 posted:

Late last week I made an inter-library loan request with my university library for Sled Driver. Yesterday I got an email from the library saying they received it. All excited, I made my way there today to pick it up. I get home, open the first few pages and find this:

Holy poo poo. That's loving awesome!

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

Nebakenezzer posted:

The B-1 is insanely difficult to keep flying. It's pretty much the definition of a hanger queen. The B-52 is ancient, but still easier to maintain and cheaper. And I think it carries a wider assortment of weapons.

Puddin posted:

I know I've been beaten by video, but how do you think it got there in the first place?

amtrak450 posted:

That's amazing. I wonder if Sen Glenn knows the library stole his book?

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin
Are the Japanese capable of manufacturing their Mitsubishi F-2 F16 derivative on their own? I thought that they were pretty keen on maintaining that capability(just in case things with America don't go so well in the future :tinfoil:).

If so, America can just import Japanese F16s if they needed a bunch of them in a hurry. :sun:

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?
The F-2 isn't a direct copy. The wings are completely different, and even portions of the frame itself. The whole airplane is actually bigger than the F-16. They can't just up and build them completely on their own, but I'm sure they could reverse-engineer those portions that are US-made. The technology is not too advanced by any means, they'd just have to figure out the tooling requirements.

dangerz
Jan 12, 2005

when i move you move, just like that

azflyboy posted:

There are also several F-16's sitting out there that were supposed to be sold to Iran before the Shah was overthrown.

Apparently the aircraft are technically the property of the Iranian government and so can't be sold off or scrapped, but because of the arms embargo they can't be delivered, so they've been sitting in shrink-wrap for the last 30 years or so.
There are also a whole bunch of C-130s sitting in Marietta at the Lockheed plant in the same exact state for the same exact reason.

Boomerjinks
Jan 31, 2007

DINO DAMAGE
I'll probably be setting up shop in this thread for the next... I dunno, forever.

Also at the museum is Luke's X-Wing:

This is the actual model that was stuck in the swamp.

Er, sorry. That is actually a 3/4 scale model originally built for promo purposes in Japan (get it because they are short?), but was bought and is currently being "rebuilt" by the local 501st Star Wars Costume Club.

I plan on having a replica car show inside that museum one of these days. Cars always look awesome when they are inside hangars.

One of my life goals is to see (and hopefully touch) every single SR-71 on display. This includes YF-12 and A-11s. My first was in Seattle, with the D-21 drone. I hopped that railing and just gently touched the metal. Totally a weird spiritual experience. I was 12, I think.

I've visited the Blackbird at the SAC museum twice...

Seen, the one at the USAF museum in Dayton. The YF-12 there doesn't have any kind of barrier whatsoever and you can peer into pretty much every part of it.

I've seen the Blackbird in San Diego, and I need to spend a few days tooling around L.A. and the 100 miles around it, there are about six in that area, I think. When we re-do our 4,000 mile roadtrip this fall, we'll see six Blackbirds between Ohio, New York, D.C., and Kansas.

Strangely enough, whenever I encounter one of these "awesome airplane poo poo" threads, no one ever posts the Boeing Bird of Prey.

Also, this is terrifically Automotively AND Aeornautically Insane!

Boomerjinks fucked around with this message at 06:27 on Mar 24, 2010

JnnyThndrs
May 29, 2001

HERE ARE THE FUCKING TOWELS

PurpleFender posted:

Quoting from a while back... That top row are P-3 Orions. I used to live on a Navy base where they still flew those.

I lived on the Sunnyvale/Mt. View border for ten years, not far from Moffet Field and you could hear those P3 Orions about a hundred miles away in the middle of the night, they'd just kinda drone away FOREVER before they actually landed there. I got used to it, the noise was sorta comforting.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

InterceptorV8 posted:

Holy poo poo. That's loving awesome!
Indeed. God, the temptation to "lose" that copy and buy the library system a replacement one...

Nothus
Feb 22, 2001

Buglord
I'm impressed John Glenn donated his unused books to the library. Good for him. :3:

Hunter2 Thompson
Feb 3, 2005

Ramrod XTreme
If any of you want to talk to Brian Shul, he seems to have posted his telephone number in the amazon review of his book...

NathanScottPhillips
Jul 23, 2009

jandrese posted:

That goes beyond balls of steel to outright insanity. Who in the world thought this was a good idea?
Probably the pilots who didn't want to land!

Boomerjinks posted:

Er, sorry. That is actually a 3/4 scale model originally built for promo purposes in Japan (get it because they are short?), but was bought and is currently being "rebuilt" by the local 501st Star Wars Costume Club.
The woman working at the front desk said it was the one Yoda lifted from the swamp :( Oh well, that museum is staffed by the oldest people I know so it probably figures.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry

InitialDave posted:

Indeed. God, the temptation to "lose" that copy and buy the library system a replacement one...

You haven't "lost" it already?

drgitlin
Jul 25, 2003
luv 2 get custom titles from a forum that goes into revolt when its told to stop using a bad word.

Tetraptous posted:

Granted, the XB-70 was a nuclear bomber (or at least, was supposed to be), went Mach 3, and had a vaugely F-15ish twin vertical - certainly not a Navy plane, but maybe that's where the confusion comes from?

The XB-70 at Wright-Patt is really something to behold, and it's hard to conceive of it's shear size without seeing it in person. A much more impressive aircraft, IMO, than the A-12/SR-71. I recommend the museum there heartily, the XB-70 alone is worth the trip but they have tons of other great stuff too.

Click here for the full 1348x1092 image.

Make sure you get there early though. We arrived at 11 am and missed the last bus going to that part of the museum (since it's on the active duty bit of the AFB or something).

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

Anyone ever been to the Museum @ Hill AFB in Salt Lake City? Supposedly they have the SR71C there and I'm darn tempted to make the 10 hour drive just to see that.

Boomerjinks
Jan 31, 2007

DINO DAMAGE

slidebite posted:

Anyone ever been to the Museum @ Hill AFB in Salt Lake City? Supposedly they have the SR71C there and I'm darn tempted to make the 10 hour drive just to see that.

Wiki posted:

Serial number Model Location or fate
61-7950 SR-71A Lost, 10 January 1967
61-7951 SR-71A Pima Air & Space Museum, Tucson, Arizona
61-7952 SR-71A Lost, 25 January 1966
61-7953 SR-71A Lost, 18 December 1969
61-7954 SR-71A Lost, 11 April 1969
61-7955 SR-71A Air Force Flight Test Center Museum, Edwards AFB, CA
61-7956 SR-71B Kalamazoo Aviation History Museum, Kalamazoo, Michigan
61-7957 SR-71B Lost, 11 January 1968
61-7958 SR-71A Museum of Aviation, Warner Robins, Georgia
61-7959 SR-71A Air Force Armament Museum, Eglin Air Force Base, FL
61-7960 SR-71A Castle Air Museum, Atwater, California
61-7961 SR-71A Kansas Cosmosphere and Space Center, Hutchinson, Kansas
61-7962 SR-71A Imperial War Museum Duxford, UK
61-7963 SR-71A Beale Air Force Base, Marysville, California
61-7964 SR-71A Strategic Air and Space Museum, Ashland, Nebraska
61-7965 SR-71A Lost, 25 October 1967
61-7966 SR-71A Lost, 13 April 1965
61-7967 SR-71A Barksdale Air Force Base, Bossier City, Louisiana
61-7968 SR-71A Virginia Aviation Museum, Richmond, Virginia
61-7969 SR-71A Lost, 10 May 1970
61-7970 SR-71A Lost, 17 June 1970
61-7971 SR-71A Evergreen Aviation Museum, McMinnville, Oregon
61-7972 SR-71A Steven F. Udvar-Hazy Center, Washington Dulles, VA
61-7973 SR-71A Blackbird Airpark, Palmdale, California
61-7974 SR-71A Lost, 21 April 1989
61-7975 SR-71A March Field Air Museum, Riverside, California[75]
61-7976 SR-71A National Museum of the United States Air Force, Dayton, OH
61-7977 SR-71A Lost, 10 October 1968
61-7978 SR-71A Lost, 20 July 1972[3]
61-7979 SR-71A Lackland Air Force Base, San Antonio, Texas
61-7980 SR-71A Dryden Flight Research Center, Edwards Air Force Base, CA
61-7981 SR-71C Hill Air Force Base Museum, Ogden, Utah

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sterndotstern
Nov 16, 2002

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Boomerjinks posted:

30% Loss Rate

Wow, I wouldn't have wanted to be an SR-71 pilot in the late 60's. They only lost 4 of the birds after 1970, but lost 8 during the space race. Inlet unstarts are a bitch.

Actually, scratch that. Who the gently caress WOULDN'T want to be an SR-71 driver, regardless of likelyhood of death, personal cost or the requirement for complete secrecy? "HI MOM, I'M FLYING MACH 3 WITH MY HAIR ON FIRE AND IT'S GREA--- [static]"