Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

ReelBigLizard posted:

<-- *nix/Mac Web developer/Interface designer; Supermotard rider.

Not forever though, I eventually want to own my own business and become a designer/inventor/engineer type. I am in love with CAD design. I'd love to design new products for the motorcycle world.

Use CAD to design a tank that warms and gently cups your balls.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

shipwrek
Dec 11, 2009

Drunk octopus wants
to fight you

Ola posted:

I'd buy one

Raven457
Aug 7, 2002
I bought Torquemada's torture equipment on e-bay!
hell yea... I'd buy one too

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

You don't need style when you've got strength!

I'm another IT guy although more on the hardware side. I'm the one of three in the entire supercomputing portion of ORNL that rides. Think there are at least 50 people in the department.

Plan on riding the motard in with my one piece leathers once it warms up a bit.

Manawski
Oct 20, 2003

HOW DO I MADE PUDDING

Ola posted:

Someone get to work on this.

Here4DaGangBang
Dec 3, 2004

I beat my dick like it owes me money!

TheCosmicMuffet posted:

Flat tyre story

I bought a digital tyre gauge so I can check my tyre pressures as part of my pre-ride checks. I don't check every time I ride necessarily, but it only takes a minute and lets me know whether I need to put some air in the tyres when I stop for fuel next. :)

TheCosmicMuffet
Jun 21, 2009

by Shine
we don't use tyres in :911:. Are you sure that's not some kind of commie thing?

Edit: Exciting update!

it was a nail.

TheCosmicMuffet fucked around with this message at 03:25 on Mar 20, 2010

Gnomad
Aug 12, 2008

TheCosmicMuffet posted:

story time.

I've been annoyed with my suzuki. It keeps feeling like it's sidewinding in tight turns and at high speed, and for several weeks, whenever I got on it, I felt like I was going to die for some reason.

So someone flags me down while I'm riding home from work yesterday and tells me my rear tire is low. I knew it, but it's hard to tell if it's really low or not when it's leaned over on the stand while I'm not sitting on it. And also hard to tell when I'm sitting on it.

Anyway, I go to the gas station to put some air in it and the pressure gague doesn't move. 'Great' I think, it must be broken. Well I'll eyeball it. So I inflate for a few seconds, and release, and then the pressure gague pops up to 10. 'Oh. Huh.' and I keep filling and it pops up to 20, and so forth.

Anyway, it turns out that wheels roll easier when they're inflated, and bikes corner better that way too.

So this morning, I take it to the station again to check the front tire (which was low 30s) and, why the hell not, the rear again.

Rear was at 15 overnight.

So I'm thinking it's an electrical problem.

You used synthetic energy conserving oil and burned out your handlebar switches. Of course it's electrical! Finally somebody is listening to the voices of experience and reason!

Armacham
Mar 3, 2007

Then brothers in war, to the skirmish must we hence! Shall we hence?
make sure you check your blinker fluid while you're in there

Nerobro
Nov 4, 2005

Rider now with 100% more titanium!
So... Word to the wise. When syncing carburetors, make sure your gauges agree with each other.

shipwrek
Dec 11, 2009

Drunk octopus wants
to fight you

TheCosmicMuffet posted:

story time.

I've been annoyed with my suzuki. It keeps feeling like it's sidewinding in tight turns and at high speed, and for several weeks, whenever I got on it, I felt like I was going to die for some reason.

So someone flags me down while I'm riding home from work yesterday and tells me my rear tire is low. I knew it, but it's hard to tell if it's really low or not when it's leaned over on the stand while I'm not sitting on it. And also hard to tell when I'm sitting on it.

Anyway, I go to the gas station to put some air in it and the pressure gague doesn't move. 'Great' I think, it must be broken. Well I'll eyeball it. So I inflate for a few seconds, and release, and then the pressure gague pops up to 10. 'Oh. Huh.' and I keep filling and it pops up to 20, and so forth.

Anyway, it turns out that wheels roll easier when they're inflated, and bikes corner better that way too.

So this morning, I take it to the station again to check the front tire (which was low 30s) and, why the hell not, the rear again.

Rear was at 15 overnight.

So I'm thinking it's an electrical problem.

Don't tell me you forgot to replace the seafoam in your tires?? :rolleyes:

FuzzyWuzzyBear
Sep 8, 2003

Some noob is gonna read this page and go....wtf...I don't know what the hell is going on...

Methusulah
Aug 2, 2007

Son of a Bitch!

FuzzyWuzzyBear posted:

Some noob is gonna read this page and go....wtf...I don't know what the hell is going on...

I've been here for a year and I still "dk wtf"

e: also since i just realized this is chatting thread I've been accepted into the range aid section of the MSF and my first course is on April 9 thru 11. I'm so stoked to get paid to help people learn how to ride a motorcycle. It's like a second dream come true

Methusulah fucked around with this message at 07:00 on Mar 20, 2010

Chillbro Baggins
Oct 8, 2004
Bad Angus! Bad!

Phat_Albert posted:

I've actually seen more than a couple of Triumph/HD combos. I'm not sure if they have some partnership going on or what?
Yeah, one of my two local-ish Harley shops has Triumphs. All the Triumph classics and cruisers in the showroom are black like oddly-proportioned Harleys, and then there's a bright blue Daytona. The Triumphs are right by the door, and the Buells have been over in the far corner covered in cobwebs since before Harley stopped making them.

Could be weirder. In Waco, there's a place that sells Triumph, Ducati, and Victory. i still haven't figured out what those have to do with each other.

UserNotFound
May 7, 2006
???

Nerobro posted:

So... Word to the wise. When syncing carburetors, make sure your gauges agree with each other.

I just built a set of fluid gauges with some medical supplies, any place to buy the screw in nipple adapters for less than $7 each?

Nerobro
Nov 4, 2005

I got mine for $14 I think. That said, I need to make some water guages myself.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

to counter the IT thing, a much higher proportion of aircraft maintenance engineers ride motorbikes than the general population, at least in and around Toronto, according to my straw pole. Sometimes you'd have to park in a car spot because the bike bay was full.

Oakey
Dec 29, 2000

I'm a stupid fucking cunt

Delivery McGee posted:

Could be weirder. In Waco, there's a place that sells Triumph, Ducati, and Victory. i still haven't figured out what those have to do with each other.

The shop makes most of their money from bike repairs?

Deeters
Aug 21, 2007

My garage feels really empty now. My dad sold off our three Harley dirt bikes and the enormous pile of parts yesterday. Probably going to put that money towards a new street bike so I can ride something other than the drat Blast this summer.

FlerpNerpin
Apr 17, 2006

Oakey posted:

The shop makes most of their money from bike repairs?

:golfclap:

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

You don't need style when you've got strength!

In Florida and the lack of gear and riding skill is amazing. Saw at least 30 bikes today, 4 with helmets...one with a jacket. No one with full gear, I just don't get it.

AncientTV
Jun 1, 2006

for sale custom bike over a billion invested

College Slice

NitroSpazzz posted:

In Florida and the lack of gear and riding skill is amazing. Saw at least 30 bikes today, 4 with helmets...one with a jacket. No one with full gear, I just don't get it.

That's pretty much standard fare for this state.

pr0zac
Jan 18, 2004

~*lukecagefan69*~

Pillbug

Methusulah posted:

e: also since i just realized this is chatting thread I've been accepted into the range aid section of the MSF and my first course is on April 9 thru 11. I'm so stoked to get paid to help people learn how to ride a motorcycle. It's like a second dream come true

Details? I'd always thought teaching the classes would be interesting, haven't started looking into it yet partially because I'm not sure if I'd be the best influence on the students.

Methusulah
Aug 2, 2007

Son of a Bitch!

pr0zac posted:

Details? I'd always thought teaching the classes would be interesting, haven't started looking into it yet partially because I'm not sure if I'd be the best influence on the students.

In the lower half of Illinois SIUC runs all the administration for the MSF programs around here. IE- Macomb, Quincy, Jacksonville, Carbondale, wherever. As far as being a range aid, I just set up cones, move the bikes around, fill 'em up with gas, that kind of thing. I'm actually not allowed to do anything related to teaching; demonstrating the maneuvers and so forth. But it will be neat to hang out around bikes 1 or 2 weekends every month. I'll be making $132 a weekend, or roughly $8.50 an hour. I'm not sure if it's the flat 132 or actually hour based. When I actually took the course we did all the range stuff and then went inside for the classroom, which the range aids aren't needed for, so I might not be there the full 8 or 9 hours the course usually runs per day.

I'll update in April once I actually do a course or 2, but I think most people who post here would be a better influence on MSF attendees than say, Johnny Quickdeath with his OMG GIXXER 1 THOOOUUUSAND.

dietcokefiend
Apr 28, 2004
HEY ILL HAV 2 TXT U L8TR I JUST DROVE IN 2 A DAYCARE AND SCRATCHED MY RAZR
Do we have any MSF instructors here in CA? After my course both of the instructors were asking me about what I thought of the course and what I would think about teaching it. I think it requires a minimum of 3 years inbetween your MSF course/license and being allowed to submit an application.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

Trip report: just got back from the big multi-line dealer in Vauxhall.
I sat on a few bikes I'm interested in. The Aprilia Shiver Touring is on the shortlist now, very comfortable, very pretty in the wine red colour. The Mana is about the same for seating but it a bit of a dog as far as looks. The Guzzi V7 Cafe is both sexier and more comfortable than the V7 Classic. It's on the shortlist too, goddamn it looks so fine. Street Triple is nice, very naked, but not really what I'm looking for. There was no Yamaha TDM 900 for me to try out unfortunately. The salesman said they don't get any in except for special orders, because they aren't really popular right now. He told me they're excellent bikes though.
Oh and they had a couple of these fatties in too, not allowed to sit on though, I guess they're worried the floor might collapse. Easily the biggest bike in there.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

blugu64
Jul 17, 2006

Do you realize that fluoridation is the most monstrously conceived and dangerous communist plot we have ever had to face?
The Shiver is a cool bike, throttle by wire and all that funny business.

2ndclasscitizen
Jan 2, 2009

by Y Kant Ozma Post
The motor is a ripper as well. Clutch is pretty heavy though.

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
Wow, thought I was back in SH/SC for a minute! :D

Looking forward to POR-15-ing my gas tank this coming weekend. Too bad I didn't do it last week when the weather was nice. I hope Easter weekend is nice, I wanna get riding again.

Nerobro
Nov 4, 2005

electrolytic beats por15 every time. Better to plate new metal on, than to cover up rust.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

I dont even mess with acid dips or anything anymore. Once you see the results of a good electrolytic treatment, you never go back.

AncientTV
Jun 1, 2006

College Slice
I'm assuming there are shops that have this done for you? What's the going rate for tank electrolysis?

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Nope, I couldnt even tell you if shops WILL do it for you. I've always done it myself. If you have a large tupperware container, and a battery charger, its easy.

AncientTV
Jun 1, 2006

College Slice
Oh. Basic chem. Right. :downs:

I was thinking of some other process to which I can't remember the name at the moment. Even though I've already POR-15'd my tank, what's the process entail?

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

You submerge the part completely in a mixture of water and washing soda. Connect the negative terminal to the part, and the positive terminal to an iron anode, and flip the switch.

This explains it well: http://www.instructables.com/id/Electrolytic-Rust-Removal-aka-Magic/

I've cleaned multiple motorcycle gas tanks with it, and while that takes some finessing of the anode, it works perfectly. Then you coat it with POR-15 sealer or Red Kote, and call it a day.

AncientTV
Jun 1, 2006

College Slice
That's what's up, just a shame that I went through the whole POR-15 process already :suicide:

Still, much appreciated.

an actual frog
Mar 1, 2007

HEH, HEH, HEH!
-

an actual frog fucked around with this message at 22:15 on Jun 24, 2020

dietcokefiend
Apr 28, 2004
HEY ILL HAV 2 TXT U L8TR I JUST DROVE IN 2 A DAYCARE AND SCRATCHED MY RAZR

Mechanism Eight posted:

Hey guys, I'm an idiot:

There was about an inch of play in the chain with me seated on the bike. Guess that wasn't enough huh? :(

Ouchhhh

That goes far beyond slack. I would almost be going as far as saying the sprocket was loose.

Zool
Mar 21, 2005

The motard rap
for all my riders
at the track
Dirt hardpacked
corner workers better
step back
American made Swedish designed dirtbike, supermoto, enduro, street tracker, super-naked. I'm sure they'll be expensive, but come on Beringer brakes as a factory option?! Everything built to order, totally new business model for a motorcycle manufacturer.

http://thekneeslider.com/archives/2010/03/23/us-highland-build-to-order-motorcycle-manufacturing-in-tulsa-oklahoma/

http://www.ushighland.com/USHighland2010BikeGallery.html

Zool fucked around with this message at 03:36 on Mar 24, 2010

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.

Zool posted:

American made Swedish designed dirtbike, supermoto, enduro, street tracker, super-naked. I'm sure they'll be expensive, but common Beringer brakes as a factory option?!

http://thekneeslider.com/archives/2010/03/23/us-highland-build-to-order-motorcycle-manufacturing-in-tulsa-oklahoma/

http://www.ushighland.com/USHighland2010BikeGallery.html

Cool, but gonna be stupid, stupid expensive. Why can't we get an american SV750? 400ish pounds wet, 100HP, with decent suspension? For maybe a bit more than the SV650 but under the cost of a new supersport? :sigh: