Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

Room Temperature posted:

They are also wonderful, marvelous, fantastic, glamorous, enchanting and terrific.

A Pratchett fan, I see. Lords and Ladies is one of the best Discworld books.

But then again, I'm a complete sucker for nasty tricksy bastard fey elves instead of happy tree-hugging D&D elves.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.
I liked it a lot more than Lords and Ladies 2: Carpe Jugulum.

Android Blues
Nov 22, 2008

Pope Guilty posted:

I liked it a lot more than Lords and Ladies 2: Carpe Jugulum.

Don't you diss on Carpe Jugulum, son. You don't know what you're getting into.

DoctorTristan
Mar 11, 2006

I would look up into your lifeless eyes and wave, like this. Can you and your associates arrange that for me, Mr. Morden?
What? Another strip already?

JustV
Apr 23, 2008

Only Literally On Fire

Burlew is back from the dead? $5 says he pushes himself too hard and ends up back in another "too sick to write" state.

Poor Red Cloak. He'd better get a happy ending once all of this is over.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.
Tragic villains don't get a happy ending. The best he can realistically hope for is that, at the cost of his life, he manages to put the Dark One into a strong enough negotiating position that Goblins aren't treated as XP farms any more.

DrakePegasus
Jan 30, 2009

It was Plundersaurus Rex's dream to be the greatest pirate dragon ever.

JustV posted:

Poor Red Cloak. He'd better get a happy ending once all of this is over.

Unfortunately for Redcloak, Start of Darkness foreshadows his ultimate fate as being eaten by a hypnotically suggested Creature in the Darkness after he betrays Xykon.

Then again, you can never tell with Rich Burlew.

DoctorTristan
Mar 11, 2006

I would look up into your lifeless eyes and wave, like this. Can you and your associates arrange that for me, Mr. Morden?
Tsukiko must have a paltry number of ranks in concentration to fail that check.

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

DrakePegasus posted:

Unfortunately for Redcloak, Start of Darkness foreshadows his ultimate fate as being eaten by a hypnotically suggested Creature in the Darkness after he betrays Xykon.

Then again, you can never tell with Rich Burlew.

That's assuming anything ever really works on Monster in the Darkness. Could have just been going along with things, it's like that.

The Rooster
Jul 25, 2004

If you've got white people problems I feel bad for you son
I've got 99 problems but being socially privileged ain't one

Shugojin posted:

That's assuming anything ever really works on Monster in the Darkness. Could have just been going along with things, it's like that.

I don't think that the Monster in the Darkness is capable of that sort of subterfuge.

Also, "Wrong eye?" Redcloak sure got on Xykons shitlist.

The Rooster fucked around with this message at 03:16 on Mar 23, 2010

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.
Redcloak is going to absolutely butcher Tsukiko when he gets the chance, though.

Dallan Invictus
Oct 11, 2007

The thing about words is that meanings can twist just like a snake, and if you want to find snakes, look for them behind words that have changed their meaning.

Room Temperature posted:

They are also wonderful, marvelous, fantastic, glamorous, enchanting and terrific.

<- Sup.

Also, wow, quite the clip Rich is on these days. I might have to actually start checking this thread again.

I can't imagine Redcloak and Tsukiko taking too long to come to blows the next time Xykon's distracted either, I'm just struggling to think of when that would be. Random shiny evil plots aside.

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

"Ah," Ratz had said, at last, "the artiste."
I like Tsukiko. She's such a dumb, shortsighted bitch. Perfect sub-boss material.

Affi
Dec 18, 2005

Break bread wit the enemy

X GON GIVE IT TO YA

Pope Guilty posted:

Redcloak is going to absolutely butcher Tsukiko when he gets the chance, though.

This would make me a very very happy person!

rotinaj
Sep 5, 2008

Fun Shoe

Pope Guilty posted:

Either he will, or he'll be the cause of her getting locked in a room with the OotS, and he'll watch her get torn apart by the six or seven PCs there.

hey girl you up
May 21, 2001

Forum Nice Guy

The Rooster posted:

Also, "Wrong eye?" Redcloak sure got on Xykons shitlist.

I don't get it.

Dallan Invictus
Oct 11, 2007

The thing about words is that meanings can twist just like a snake, and if you want to find snakes, look for them behind words that have changed their meaning.

PFlats posted:

I don't get it.

Probably a Start of Darkness spoiler.

Vicissitude
Jan 26, 2004

You ever do the chicken dance at a wake? That really bothers people.

PFlats posted:

I don't get it.

Dallan Invictus posted:

Probably a Start of Darkness spoiler.

Sort of, but not major. Redcloak's had an eyepatch, so Redcloak introduced himself as"Redcloak" and his brother as "Right Eye" after Xykon killed a lizardman for having a name too long to remember.

The reason it's such a burn is that (major spoiler) Redcloak killed his own brother to keep him from killing Xykon. Xykon knew and was waiting for Redcloak to do something and now he's got the goblin under his bony thumb because otherwise, his brother and all the other goblins died for nothing in pursuit of The Plan.

Noonsaliwah
Sep 5, 2006
Shizne
Here's the character of Right-Eye described with the least spoilers possible, since the story increasingly seems to assume you know who he is (still in spoilers for those planning to read Start of Darkness some day);

Right-Eye was a goblin with only one eye who Redcloak worked with in his plans. Right-Eye didn't approve of Xykon's disregard for goblin life, and made Redcloak feel bad about the methods he was using to bring the plan into fruition. At the end of the story Right-Eye, a very old goblin now, dies and leaves Redcloak with Xykon. Redcloak realises that he's in too deep with Xykon and can't possibly change his plans, he wishes that he'd heeded Right-Eye's advice when he could.
Incidentally, Redcloak has now lost his right eye, so he looks in the mirror he sees a goblin very much like Right-Eye. This has obviously brought back memories of his poor choices, but probably also strengthened his resolve to see the plan through to the end, so all the goblin death wouldn't be in vain.

JustV
Apr 23, 2008

Only Literally On Fire

I believe the overall message here is to buy Start of Darkness if you have the money. It's probably the best story in the series and really fills in some of the blanks on Xykon & Redcloak. Poor, poor Redcloak.

Also, you get to see bad guy taco night.

EndOfTheWorld
Jul 22, 2004

I'm an excellent critic! I automatically know when someone's done a bad job. Before you ask, yes it's a mixed blessing.
Cybernetic Crumb

Vicissitude posted:

Sort of, but not major. Redcloak's had an eyepatch, so Redcloak introduced himself as"Redcloak" and his brother as "Right Eye" after Xykon killed a lizardman for having a name too long to remember.

The reason it's such a burn is that (major spoiler) Redcloak killed his own brother to keep him from killing Xykon. Xykon knew and was waiting for Redcloak to do something and now he's got the goblin under his bony thumb because otherwise, his brother and all the other goblins died for nothing in pursuit of The Plan.

Huh, that must be it. I haven't read SoD, so I just assumed "Wrong Eye" was short for "I'd rather you be blind than have lost my phylactery. That Paladin Put Out Your Wrong Eye"

The Werle
Aug 8, 2005

Fireworks for Christmas is absolutely American

JustV posted:

Also, you get to see bad guy taco night.

And a healthy dose of coffee shop philosophy.

The Rooster
Jul 25, 2004

And, in regards specifically to this current situation: Redcloak already got thoroughly punked by Xykon over the whole Right-eye thing, to the point where he animated his own brother to be another zombie in Xykons horde. Who the gently caress is he now to keep Tsutsiko or anyone else from animating these nameless hobs when he did that to his own brother?

JustV
Apr 23, 2008

Only Literally On Fire

The Rooster posted:

And, in regards specifically to this current situation: Redcloak already got thoroughly punked by Xykon over the whole Right-eye thing, to the point where he animated his own brother to be another zombie in Xykons horde. Who the gently caress is he now to keep Tsutsiko or anyone else from animating these nameless hobs when he did that to his own brother?

Because he's trying to be better? After Right Eye's death, he's at the lowest point ever and he takes Xykon's speech to heart, "It's not just about power, it's about how far you're willing to debase yourself before feeling bad", and Redcloak reanimates his brother's corpse. But after the invasion of Azure city, Redcloak doesn't want to be Xykon anymore (which he even states out loud). He wants to be a hero to his people, and not animating his follower's corpses to serve in the zombie horde is something a hero would do.

The Rooster
Jul 25, 2004

JustV posted:

Because he's trying to be better? After Right Eye's death, he's at the lowest point ever and he takes Xykon's speech to heart, "It's not just about power, it's about how far you're willing to debase yourself before feeling bad", and Redcloak reanimates his brother's corpse. But after the invasion of Azure city, Redcloak doesn't want to be Xykon anymore (which he even states out loud). He wants to be a hero to his people, and not animating his follower's corpses to serve in the zombie horde is something a hero would do.

Well obviously but I was illustrating why Xykon would want to remind him of that incident, and what he's trying to say by it.

JustV
Apr 23, 2008

Only Literally On Fire

The Rooster posted:

Well obviously but I was illustrating why Xykon would want to remind him of that incident, and what he's trying to say by it.

"One gets to be the butch, and one gets to be the bitch". Xykon's just reaffirming his dominance by reminding Redcloak of all the chips in the pile.

Also, Xykon's a dick.

EDIT: There's also the whole "...as long as you're loyal to me, I'll let you pretend this never happened." Redcloak is acting like he's got actual choices in what happens, and Xykon can't let him have that. Redcloak is in charge of the phylactery and is the only other person who knows how to "control" the Snarl, so (for now) Xykon needs him.

JustV fucked around with this message at 23:58 on Mar 23, 2010

The Rooster
Jul 25, 2004

JustV posted:

"One gets to be the butch, and one gets to be the bitch". Xykon's just reaffirming his dominance by reminding Redcloak of all the chips in the pile.

Also, Xykon's a dick.

EDIT: There's also the whole "...as long as you're loyal to me, I'll let you pretend this never happened." Redcloak is acting like he's got actual choices in what happens, and Xykon can't let him have that. Redcloak is in charge of the phylactery and is the only other person who knows how to "control" the Snarl, so (for now) Xykon needs him.

In the meantime, he's trying to get his new and willing Bitch Tsutsiko to do the divine part of the ritual. Things are looking grim for green guy :(

SlimGoodbody
Oct 20, 2003

I bet Redcloak is going to side with the group eventually. Or at the very least, lend the party some aid in defeating Xykon.

Mystic Mongol
Jan 5, 2007

Your life's been thrown in disarray already--I wouldn't want you to feel pressured.

College Slice

JustV posted:

EDIT: There's also the whole "...as long as you're loyal to me, I'll let you pretend this never happened."

So why is Xykon throwing around insults about that incident? It seems counter to their informal agreement.

Cabbit
Jul 19, 2001

Is that everything you have?

Mystic Mongol posted:

So why is Xykon throwing around insults about that incident? It seems counter to their informal agreement.

Because he's an rear end in a top hat?

FredMSloniker
Jan 2, 2008

Why, yes, I do like Kirby games.

Cabbit posted:

Because he's an rear end in a top hat?

Pretty much. Start of Darkness is all about how Redcloak and Xykon got that way. Redcloak's story is full of good intentions, tragic mistakes, and clinging desperately to shreds of hope.

Xykon? He was a dick from the age of five.

Brannock
Feb 9, 2006

by exmarx
Fallen Rib

Mystic Mongol posted:

How about because Wrong-Eye is a hilarious pun?

tazman
Jan 23, 2005
hammer time
I hope Red-Cloak gets a happy ending. God knows he deserves it. Although if we take the Oracle's predictions to heart then the only person to have a happy ending will be Elan :(

Captain Controversy
Jan 25, 2007
eXCeSS bought me this account because I am a whiny BITCH!
Xykon is such a loving powergamer's wet dream/DM darling NPC. I mean, his callousness can be funny, sure, but goddamn... he's the only reason I'd have my doubts over playing with Burlew.

Nosy_G
May 6, 2007

Captain Controversy posted:

Xykon is such a loving powergamer's wet dream/DM darling NPC. I mean, his callousness can be funny, sure, but goddamn... he's the only reason I'd have my doubts over playing with Burlew.
Ohh no not this argument again.

McCloud
Oct 27, 2005

tazman posted:

I hope Red-Cloak gets a happy ending. God knows he deserves it. Although if we take the Oracle's predictions to heart then the only person to have a happy ending will be Elan :(

Screw red-cloak. He's a malicious, rascist little goblin that would throw his own brother under the bus "for the greater good". Hey I know, let's team up with a murderous lich and conspire to give him world domination, I'm sure he'll give us goblins a home after whatever could possibly go wrong herp a derp.

gently caress him, he's a genocidal weasely little bastard wtih none of Xykon's charm, and he deserved a hell of a lot more from O'Chul than a gouged out eye.

Cliff Racer
Mar 24, 2007

by Lowtax

McCloud posted:

Screw red-cloak. He's a malicious, rascist little goblin that would throw his own brother under the bus "for the greater good". Hey I know, let's team up with a murderous lich and conspire to give him world domination, I'm sure he'll give us goblins a home after whatever could possibly go wrong herp a derp.

gently caress him, he's a genocidal weasely little bastard wtih none of Xykon's charm, and he deserved a hell of a lot more from O'Chul than a gouged out eye.

You should probably read (or reread) start of Darkness as Redcloak's plan differs in a minor, though significant way from how you are portraying it.

The Rooster
Jul 25, 2004

Mystic Mongol posted:

My guess is that Xykon now considers Redcloak being "upitty" as insufficiently compliant, and therefore contrary to their agreement.

Plus he's a giant dick.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.

tazman posted:

Although if we take the Oracle's predictions to heart then the only person to have a happy ending will be Elan :(
Would Elan consider an ending happy if he doesn't get the girl, save the world, and most if not all of his buddies survive?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mylan
Jun 19, 2002

CapnAndy posted:

Would Elan consider an ending happy if he doesn't get the girl, save the world, and most if not all of his buddies survive?

Yeah, at the bare minimum, Elan, Haley, and Durkon have to get a happy ending. Elan because it's fated, Haley because she's Elan's true love or whatever, and Durkon because it's fated (he's gonna die, but he gets buried with honor with his ancestors so he's stoked about that). Roy will almost certainly at least come out ahead; I can't see Burlew ultimately loving over the lawful good leader of the protagonists. V could go either way, but I see some more suffering in his future. Belkar's supposed to die, which is good for everyone else. Maybe Belkar will even enjoy the abyss, getting to kick rear end in the blood war for eternity.