Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jim Bont
Apr 29, 2008

You were supposed to take those out of the deck.
I came across this via stumbleupon:

http://abduzeedo.com/82-clever-and-creative-fred-friends-products

and granted some items are kind of cool (I would buy 'Gin and Titonic') but the vast majority are the real life versions of what's in Philippe's catalogue. That UPS guy with the 'Tinsel Tape' knows how decadent it all is, at least.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BetterWeirdthanDead
Mar 7, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
So did anyone else try this link? http://gopher.kacw.org/

I'm left wondering how Phillippe relates to Caddyshack.

Boonys Cut Shot
Nov 5, 2004

Elite athlete
I love it when Teodor gets his sass on.

McGravin
Aug 25, 2004

Tantum via caeli per ferro incendioque est.

BetterWeirdthanDead posted:

So did anyone else try this link? http://gopher.kacw.org/
That's nothing. gopher://gopher.kacw.org/ (must be using a Gopher-supporting browser, such as Firefox)

I'm a little amazed someone went to the trouble to set up a Gopher server, and in such short time. Or did this exist before the Achewood strip?

Edit: Nope, whois info says it was created this morning at 9:41am.

Moscow Mule
Dec 21, 2004

Nothing beats the taste sensation when maple syrup collides with ham.
My Harbrace College Handbook talked about Gopher. I thought it was just a myth.

Chamberk
Jan 11, 2004

when there is nothing left to burn you have to set yourself on fire
I'm not sure I understood a word of the last strip, but today's comic is loving hilarious.

McGravin
Aug 25, 2004

Chamberk posted:

I'm not sure I understood a word of the last strip, but today's comic is loving hilarious.

I think what you meant to say was

:siren: NEW STRIP!! :siren:

Well, at least this will certainly turn some heads, compared to regular public access.

Integral Catculus
Jul 21, 2007

hopelessly devoted
That "protein roll" is rude. But Peter North's bootleg Hungarian phone-sex line is substantially more rude, if less depressing. If his head had been photoshopped onto a withered husk of a body, Onstad, you would have become the ne plus ultra of rude dudes.

Satch
Mar 2, 2007

Hecho en Mexico
Holy drat. Well I'm definitely on board and strapped in to this arc.

Take me anywhere Onstad. Anywhere

ManiacClown
May 30, 2002

Gone, gone, O honky man,
And rise the M.C. Etrigan!

drat. T got such a shock from the fuckup that his eyebrows went away. I also don't remember ever seeing his mouth open like that.

palecur
Nov 3, 2002

not too simple and not too kind
Fallen Rib
I will proffer the merest taste from the fanflow update, because this fragmentary amuse-bouche has thoroughly earned the money I've spent on the subscription:

BEEF: The world is a system of narrowly-avoided truths.

It never stops being true: Celebration of the loving English language.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Jesus Christ, what an amazing clusterfuck of a program.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe
At this point if Philippe and Rage Against The Machine ever shook hands they would both disappear in a burst of hard gamma

Ish
Nov 6, 2005

Gomi posted:

I will proffer the merest taste from the fanflow update, because this fragmentary amuse-bouche has thoroughly earned the money I've spent on the subscription:

BEEF: The world is a system of narrowly-avoided truths.

It never stops being true: Celebration of the loving English language.

that fanflow update is the hardest I've laughed at Achewood in a little while now. If any fan hasn't subscribed to it yet they really are missing out.

Rustmouth Chafings
Dec 11, 2008
Every time I read one of these long-form fanflows I find myself wishing there would be an Achewood TV series, even though I'm not sure if it would translate.

Sigma-X
Jun 17, 2005
I remember the halcyon days when comics were posted more than once a week and there were regular content updates that did not require a $3 monthly fee.

I don't know why I have issues spending $3 on talking cats when I have bought something like 3 shirts, 4 posters, pint glasses, cookbooks, regular books, and other poo poo. I guess its the lack of permanent access.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

I don't pay a cent for Achewood and every time I get a free comic (on average one every 4-5 days) I laugh my rear end off and get to shake my head in wonder at how unfairly clever Onstad is. While I'd love to get more regular updates, I don't see any problem with people who pay (a small amount of) money getting more Achewood goodness than I do.

Basically, while I'd really love getting more for free like anyone else in the world, I don't feel I have any right to complain about "only" getting a certain amount of free content each week.

Boy Named Sue
Apr 19, 2003

YARRRRRR!!!

Sigma-X posted:

I remember the halcyon days when comics were posted more than once a week and there were regular content updates that did not require a $3 monthly fee.

I don't know why I have issues spending $3 on talking cats when I have bought something like 3 shirts, 4 posters, pint glasses, cookbooks, regular books, and other poo poo. I guess its the lack of permanent access.

FIGHT THE POWER!

Personally, I love the Fanflow. I like the extra content and I don't mind supporting Onstad. I'd rather have an update once or twice a week that is rich in content and humor then just spitting out a strip for the sake of spitting out a strip.

Happy Hippo
Aug 8, 2004

The Something Awful Forums > The Finer Arts > Batman's Shameful Secret > BSS Derailed Thread: Spider-Island

Welcome to the Achewood thread, where we rehash this same conversation every 8 or so pages.

Sigma-X
Jun 17, 2005

Happy Hippo posted:

Welcome to the Achewood thread, where we rehash this same conversation every 8 or so pages.

Because it takes that long for a new comic to come out :rimshot:

In all seriousness, though, what else is there to talk about aside from the current comics and the delivery of the comics? Is there some new cool Onstad talk or interview or something similar? No one really talks about the fanflow content because half of us don't pay for access to it and its not like there is the wealth of content there used to be - a lot of that stuff gets shunted to the fanflow I guess.

The blogs were last updated:
Ray - 12/8/08 (these are all american dates gently caress you british backwards folks)
Beef - 5/24/09
Pat - 4/6/09
Teodor - 5/30/08
Phillipe - 12/16/08
Cornelius - 4/4/09
Lyle - 5/4/08
Molly - 7/29/08
Onstad - 1/16/09
Nice Pete - 5/4/08
Little Nephew - 5/4/08
Emeril - 5/12/06

So yeah, even the most recent posts are 10 months old.

I mean dude's welcome to bake his bread however he wants but I don't think that somehow means people gotta love it.

palecur
Nov 3, 2002

Fallen Rib

Sigma-X posted:

(these are all american dates gently caress you british backwards folks)

You know you can defend the many areas in which the US is superior but I can't back you on calling a date order where the time periods are in order by size, instead of month THEN day THEN year, 'backward'. It's like a clock that reads 54:03pm and then the seconds. It is dumb as hell.

Rev. Bleech_
Oct 19, 2004

~OKAY, WE'LL DRINK TO OUR LEGS!~

Gomi posted:

You know you can defend the many areas in which the US is superior but I can't back you on calling a date order where the time periods are in order by size, instead of month THEN day THEN year, 'backward'. It's like a clock that reads 54:03pm and then the seconds. It is dumb as hell.

Actually sorry but both date systems are beyond fuckin' lame. YYYY-MM-DD 4 lyfe

Sigma-X
Jun 17, 2005

Gomi posted:

month provides context for day, not the other way around. Year comes last because it is only required for long-term planning.

platero
Sep 11, 2001

spooky, but polite, a-hole

Pillbug

Rev. Bleech_ posted:

Computer date crew represent.
Also, I'm fine with updates once or twice a week, since Chris doesn't do the standard 3-panel strip. Each strip is like a wonderful short story, but with pictures!

McGravin
Aug 25, 2004

platero posted:

Computer date crew represent.
I prefer my dates to be represented by the number of seconds since January 1, 1970, 00:00:00, myself (not counting leap seconds, of course).

Right now, it's 1269358630.

palecur
Nov 3, 2002

Fallen Rib

Rev. Bleech_ posted:

As long as the time periods are sorted by size, I got no beef with your heterodox ways, even if it obviously makes sense to put the most time-sensitive information first (PROTIP: The year changes a lot less often than the day, google it). We can all agree that putting the month first, then the day, then the year, is the act of a mind unbalanced by febrile monsoon-breezes.

rotinaj
Sep 5, 2008

Fun Shoe
I keep loading up Achewood.com, and every time I do, I see Philippe on the "protein roll" and fall apart laughing.

I want to see that as a real advertisement, if there ever becomes an Achewood animated series and/or movie.

Sigma-X
Jun 17, 2005

Gomi posted:

Y'know, looking at this again, this is the worst loving analogy.

Hours provide context for minutes in the same way that months provide context for date. Year is a superfluous bit of data that is only added for long term planning, in the same way that a clock might list hours, minutes, date.

A clock that reads minutes:hours is literally the same as the bad/wrong days:months calendar, and it is obviously bad/wrong because otherwise it would not have been previously labeled as such.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

:siren:NEW STRIP!:siren:

It DOES change everything.tab...

Ninja Edit: gently caress yeah, finally first!

Happy Hippo
Aug 8, 2004

The Something Awful Forums > The Finer Arts > Batman's Shameful Secret > BSS Derailed Thread: Spider-Island

Philippe is going to be such a baller. :snoop: Now he just needs a scheme to parlay that cheddar into high-roller territory.

Keep on rockin', little man.

Sgs-Cruz
Apr 19, 2003

You just got BURNED!
YYYY-MM-DD is the best date format, because then your files sort properly on a computer, and there is no ambiguity. Downside: you look like a drat geek.

MM/DD/YYYY is second-best, because that's how you say dates: "April sixth, 1984" - "04/06/1984". Unless British people say it like "Sixth April, 1984", preferably in a posh accent.

It's actually the worst in Canada because it's like 70% U.S. style (MM/DD/YYYY), 20% British style (DD/MM/YYYY) and 10% retarded (MM/DD/YY or DD/MM/YY -- 04/06/05 what the gently caress does this mean thanks), so you don't actually know what you're looking at.

Chris Onstad
Mar 31, 2007

Could we please get back to the topic of how I don't post as often any more? Thanks.

glug
Mar 12, 2004

JON JONES APOLOGIST #1

Chris Onstad posted:

Could we please get back to the topic of how I don't post as often any more? Thanks.

Was the date of your last post 3/5/2010 or 5/3/2010.. or dare I say 20100305?

Chris Onstad
Mar 31, 2007

I only recognize Excel timestamps. What are days? Are those, like, made out of wood and stuff?

Happy Hippo
Aug 8, 2004

Chris Onstad posted:

Stop dicking off at the computer and get back to making me laugh. For free.

Chris Onstad
Mar 31, 2007

Would someone please call my mom fat? Thanksss.

Sigma-X
Jun 17, 2005

Chris Onstad posted:

Would someone please call my mom fat? Thanksss.

Your mom's so fat she gave up after several years of crash dieting and has resorted to joining a support group that is building a float for a Fat Pride parade that is having difficulty securing the proper permits due to engineering concerns regarding the bridge they want to cross.

Chris Onstad
Mar 31, 2007

Your mother is fat, and it's everything to do with you.

She was beautiful, once.

McGravin
Aug 25, 2004

Chris Onstad posted:

Your mother is fat, and it's everything to do with you.

She was beautiful, once.
Your momma is so classy, she showers with her legs crossed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

That shameful deer, it's fat mother will be humiliated.