Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Carbohydrates
Nov 22, 2006

Listen, Mr. Kansas Law Dog.
Law don't go around here.
Savvy?

esq posted:

I'd been eyeballing this one for a while, so I bit the bullet last week and it arrived yesterday. 2008 Custom Classic.

drat, son. Prepare to never play any of your other strats again (if you had any). Seriously, the day I got my CS strat was the day I started writing the ads for my G&L Legacy, 57 Reissue, and American Deluxe.

Anyway, ever since I got my Gretsch I've been really wanting another, a proper archtop this time. I've been checking eBay, CL, and multiple Gretsch forums daily looking for the right one. It's probably gonna be a 6118 or 6120 since, now that I've played one, it turns out I actually don't like the size and feedbackiness of White Falcons. Just gotta find one that speaks to me!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Mystery Date
Aug 2, 2005
STRAGHT FOOL IN A GAY POOL (MUPPETS ROCK)
Get the 6120; they both look, play, and sound awesome.

Computer Jones
Jun 22, 2005

I've been using Live Lite for too long :allears:

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR
So I finally borrowed my roommate's camera to take a pic of my current 'station'. The Virus TI2, APC40 and LaCie drive are the latest addition to it all; had the monitors for about a year and Live about the same - can't even remember when I bought the MBOX. I've been in the dumps lately with no musical creativity so it hardly gets used, but as you can see I'm posting some sounds for a school project right there. Next on the itinerary is an SSL Duende, then either a Digi003+ or some other interface. Plus, finally upgrade to ProTools LE8 and grab a (legit) copy of Reason 4.

Spivey
Oct 16, 2009
Yum.

Spivey fucked around with this message at 11:50 on Mar 22, 2010

H13
Nov 30, 2005

Fun Shoe
Any comments about Mesa Boogie reliability? Thinking about getting a 5:50 1x12 Combo to replace my Peavey Classic 30 which just died :(

Gorilla Salsa
Dec 4, 2007

Post Post Post.

Hammer Floyd posted:

Any comments about Mesa Boogie reliability? Thinking about getting a 5:50 1x12 Combo to replace my Peavey Classic 30 which just died :(

I've never heard of one breaking. Like, ever.

Spiral
Dec 20, 2003

Hammer Floyd posted:

Any comments about Mesa Boogie reliability?
They are generally built like tanks, However I managed to blow out the pre-amp and poweramp section of my Stiletto head and Mesa paid to have it shipped to the nearest dealer and replaced all of the tubes for free. I bought it used and had zero actual warranty coverage on it. So even if it does break, they'll take care of it. Amazing company.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Random data point; it's no Mesa, but my Morley sent me a new bottom plate/battery cover for my $15 pawn shop find for free despite the fact that I told them it was purchased used.

Mesa has a video on their site (posted all over the site, really) where they beat on the case and circuit board with a hammer to make sure everything's tight before shipping a new unit.

7 Bowls of Wrath
Mar 30, 2007
Thats so metal.

esq posted:

I'd been eyeballing this one for a while, so I bit the bullet last week and it arrived yesterday. 2008 Custom Classic.

Love the finish on this!

Schatten
Jul 7, 2002

Das ist nicht meine
schnellen Rennwagen

Spivey posted:

Yum.

I have the same combo. Contemplating the cab. Hmmmmm. Tempting, very tempting, but I don't *need* it now. It loud enough on "1" in my place for practicing.

Spivey
Oct 16, 2009

Schatten posted:

I have the same combo. Contemplating the cab. Hmmmmm. Tempting, very tempting, but I don't *need* it now. It loud enough on "1" in my place for practicing.

I'd say it's worth it if you're out playing larger venues. It's the 151HR, I nabbed mine for $325 (retails for around $600-700 normally), and it can move pure sex through the air. Playing it at 2 is more than enough for a smaller venue, higher can let you play whole auditoriums with no PA.

esq
Dec 1, 2008

I'll have a white russian.

Carbohydrates posted:

drat, son. Prepare to never play any of your other strats again (if you had any). Seriously, the day I got my CS strat was the day I started writing the ads for my G&L Legacy, 57 Reissue, and American Deluxe.

Anyway, ever since I got my Gretsch I've been really wanting another, a proper archtop this time. I've been checking eBay, CL, and multiple Gretsch forums daily looking for the right one. It's probably gonna be a 6118 or 6120 since, now that I've played one, it turns out I actually don't like the size and feedbackiness of White Falcons. Just gotta find one that speaks to me!
Oh I'm way ahead of you my good man, but my messed up head is now trying to justify me keeping my USA Standard because I might need a maple fretboard as well someday? Ugh. I love both the Gretsch's you are looking at, with the slight nod to the G6118. I was looking at a Power Jet for the near future actually.

7 Bowls of Wrath posted:

Love the finish on this!
Honestly it's sick. I wish I had a better camera, it is not doing justice at all. Premium ash body with a transparent black burst, and a figured maple neck. Heavy motherfucker though, at over 8.5lbs.

7 Bowls of Wrath
Mar 30, 2007
Thats so metal.

esq posted:

Honestly it's sick. I wish I had a better camera, it is not doing justice at all. Premium ash body with a transparent black burst, and a figured maple neck. Heavy motherfucker though, at over 8.5lbs.

sup ash body strat buddy :hfive:

The heavy ones are the best...

BluJay
Oct 1, 2004

I've got my eye on the finish line
I finally have something to post in this thread after drooling over everyone else's stuff for so long. So I purchased Demon Seed's Dolphin off him because I have more money than sense, but, man, this thing is pure sex carved out of wood. I can get so many tones out of her, between the single J and twin J combo. Two pounds lighter than my corvette and perfectly balanced. I can't wait to go gigging with her, though I think its gonna take a bit to get used to frets again, as I've been playing a fretless almost exclusively for the past 8 years.

Click here for the full 667x1000 image.

A thing of beauty is a joy forever

And a family portrait for good measure

I'll take good care of her, Demon Seed.

Gorilla Salsa
Dec 4, 2007

Post Post Post.
Bought one of these today.

Click here for the full 1247x1310 image.

JumboJetDreams
Jun 3, 2008
One of these is living with me while my bassist is away at college.

I'm not sure that I'll be giving her up willingly.

himajinga
Mar 19, 2003

Und wenn du lange in einen Schuh blickst, blickt der Schuh auch in dich hinein.
Finally got a job so I've been GASing like crazy, found some really good deals, and just pulled the trigger on some things I've needed for a while. Sorry for the cameraphone pix, my digicam is at a friend's.

Got a great deal on this little gem on eBay recently:

MiniKorg 700s. The first Korg synthesizer, totally analog, totally stable. Sounds like pure sex.

Got this off CL for $300, worth every penny. 1982 Fender Lead II, USA made smaller-bodied guitar w/ 2 single coils (replaced w/ EMGs).

I'm certain it's a refinish, but blonde/black is :gizz: and the neck plays better than almost anything I've ever held, comparable to the mid-90's USA Strat I played for a few years.

Picked up these guys off CL finally, I had a GT-6 for a long time but gave it to the band I was quitting in a trade, so I've been slowly building back up my effects complement.

LBM sounds great, especially for $40; I'll be modding the VOX for true bypass next week.

Finally, I've invested in some tape stuff:

Otari MX5050 II 1/4" 2-track mastering deck:

If it looks like he's smiling at me, that's just because I'm smiling right back! Paid $150 plus $40 to have him serviced. I'm just not going to discuss how much mastering tape is... :suicide:

Fostex X-77 cassette 4-track:

Loving the way stuff sounds off cassette lately, been bouncing from the DAW to cassette and sometimes recording to cassette and bouncing the other way. Paid $35.

So yeah, I'm broke but happy and already saving for my next purchase (Twin Reverb).

himajinga fucked around with this message at 07:54 on Mar 23, 2010

woodhead
Jan 29, 2008
try harder next time.

Gorilla Salsa posted:

Bought one of these today.

Click here for the full 1247x1310 image.

FYI, I made a PVC/foam version of this that works great for a couple bucks. Here it is before I painted it black.

Click here for the full 1600x1200 image.

So if anyone is looking at buying one of these you can save a lot of cash by making your own (and make any size you want).

spiritual bypass
Feb 19, 2008

Grimey Drawer

himajinga posted:

So yeah, I'm broke but happy and already saving for my next purchase (Twin Reverb).

Are you sure 'twin' is going to be enough?

:pwn:

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Gorilla Salsa
Dec 4, 2007

Post Post Post.

woodhead posted:

FYI, I made a PVC/foam version of this that works great for a couple bucks. So if anyone is looking at buying one of these you can save a lot of cash by making your own (and make any size you want).
Thanks for telling me this after I received my shipping confirmation email from Sweetwater! <:mad:>

(In all seriousness, most everything I try to make myself turns to poo poo, so I'll live with this one nicer thing, and maybe give myself a go at making one later on.)

Ghostpilots
Sep 24, 2004

Vigilant Sidekick

JumboJetDreams posted:

One of these is living with me while my bassist is away at college.

I'm not sure that I'll be giving her up willingly.

Congrats man! I bought my L-2000 3 years ago and to this day it remains the one stable part of my instrument collection and my most beloved possession.

himajinga
Mar 19, 2003

rt4 posted:

Are you sure 'twin' is going to be enough?

:pwn:

I played both the 4-speaker Super and the Twin, and I thought the Twin was more than adequate, especially since I'll probably never turn it down below 8. With 6 speakers, jesus, talk about overkill. But still... goddamnit it would look AMAZING. "Cabinet involvement"

himajinga
Mar 19, 2003

Laserface posted:

Fender Aerodyne Jazz (MIJ), left handed. its like a bass wearing a tuxedo!

drool...

betterinsodapop
Apr 4, 2004

64:3

himajinga posted:

drool...
Aye, Laserface got a nice one.
There are a few other Japanese lefty Fender basses on ebay, including 62 and 75 j-basses, a Jag bass, and a few more.

Also, I think Fender started making the j-bass American Deluxe in lefty again. :)

My most recent,and again unsexy purchase:

My NEXT purchase, though, is kinda sexy:

himajinga
Mar 19, 2003

woodhead posted:

FYI, I made a PVC/foam version of this that works great for a couple bucks. Here it is before I painted it black.

Click here for the full 1600x1200 image.

So if anyone is looking at buying one of these you can save a lot of cash by making your own (and make any size you want).

Measurements? I know what I'm doing this weekend!

E: Found measurements for a 4-guitar setup:

PVC:
4x 32" pieces of 3/4" (uprights and legs)
4x 27" pieces of 3/4" (cross bars)
5x 5.5" pieces of 3/4" (guitar rests)

13x 3/4" T connectors
6x 3/4" elbows
5x 3/4" end caps

About 9' of foam

himajinga fucked around with this message at 00:38 on Mar 24, 2010

woodhead
Jan 29, 2008
try harder next time.

himajinga posted:

Measurements? I know what I'm doing this weekend!

E: Found measurements for a 4-guitar setup:

PVC:
4x 32" pieces of 3/4" (uprights and legs)
4x 27" pieces of 3/4" (cross bars)
5x 5.5" pieces of 3/4" (guitar rests)

13x 3/4" T connectors
6x 3/4" elbows
5x 3/4" end caps

About 9' of foam

Yea, honestly I just winged it. I think I bought 30' of PVC and 10' of foam. I counted up the elbows, 4 ways, and T's though. For the base width I just set 2 pieces of pvc about 1 inch off the ground and moved them around until my guitars all were off the ground. You'll notice in this picture it's actually a bit too tall. I took the top 2 vertical bars and shortened them by about 6" when I painted it, so now the guitars rest at about their 3-5th frets. Since there are at least 2 of every section of PVC it's really only important to cut the matching pieces equal lengths so things don't get wonky. The exact dimensions can be whatever you see fit for your gear. I had some extra PVC as well so I bought a couple 45 degree T's and made a few wire racks off the side.

Good luck! It's really quite easy and only took about half an hour to make mine.

vanjalolz
Oct 31, 2006

Ha Ha Ha HaHa Ha
I've pretty much made up my mind about my next guitar purchase, now just to wait for another one to pop up on ebay

Dragon Eye Morrison
May 6, 2007

Boston's "More Than A Feeling" is the world's greatest song

himajinga posted:

Got this off CL for $300, worth every penny. 1982 Fender Lead II, USA made smaller-bodied guitar w/ 2 single coils (replaced w/ EMGs).

I'm certain it's a refinish, but blonde/black is :gizz: and the neck plays better than almost anything I've ever held, comparable to the mid-90's USA Strat I played for a few years.

That thing is bad to the rear end, but please trim the excess string from the tuning machines. She deserves better than that! It's like seeing a fine-rear end woman who is all-around drop-dead gorgeous, but she has toenails that are, like, 3 inches long and cracked and yellowed and grody.

h_double
Jul 27, 2001

I helped my friend move a while ago, she grabbed this out of a box of books and said "here you might like this" -- I think it belonged to one of her parents, it is copyright 1966 according to the interior.

Overall it is a pretty decent reference if I need to look up something like a retrograde canon or a perfect plagal cadence, it also has a very useful chart of instrument ranges in the back. But there are also some awesome entries like the one for "Electronic Music":

quote:

Music which is produced on electronic instruments such as the Theramin(sic) or Ondes Martinet which are "played" by moving the hands towards or away from a sensitive tube. The term also includes electric instruments that simulate the sound of the organ, guitar, or other conventional instruments. Used more precisely, the term electronic music has nothing to do with synthetic instruments. It refers to a kind of music which originated in the Studio for Electronic Music of the West German Radio, in Cologne, and its sound material is produced by electronic devices, recorded on magnetic tape, and heard through loudspeakers.

Plus Dr. Lee looks like a pretty cool dude and I thank him for his efforts.

Midget Gems
Dec 31, 2007
I hear they have the internet on computers these days

Snapped this up on e-bay for cheap. Sounds beautiful, but haven't really found many practical uses for it. Need to play around with it some more.

A couple of days before I'd bought a digitech hyper phase for £9.99 - I can't decide whether to keep it or not; it makes some pretty funky noises (especially like the random waveform generator effect) but it sounds very digital and like most x-series pedals I've used, it sucks ridiculous amounts of tone in bypass.

magnificent7
Sep 22, 2005

THUNDERDOME LOSER
With tax refunds, wicked company bonus and a deposit for a festival gig in October, I've been on a spending spree like a whore on the crack corner. Actual photos wouldn't do justice to my buying power because (1) my music room looks like the front yard on Sanford and Son, and (2) the poo poo I've been buying is all unimpressive upgrades to poo poo I already own. Sort of.

KRK Rokit 8s. Musiciansfriend had a great deal on some scratch & dents - got the pair for $410 or something.

Auralex Gay Faggity Wall Foam Stuff, again, scratch and dent MF.com bargain ($80?) for 10 squares or something.

Shure studio monitoring headphones. Not so sure I like these - too bottom heavy (or my mixes have all been too bottom heavy for years)

Guitar Fetish Neovin strat pickups, finally swapping out the 25 yr old EMGs

Guitar Fetish P90s for my Ibanez semi hollowbody. I installed THESE correctly and they gave me a semi sure enough.

And then a gently caress ton of this to keep me up during those long nights in the studio:

edit: and I now need to buy one of these to keep the place clean, keep the kids in line, do my laundry, and solve all my marital problems:
or

magnificent7 fucked around with this message at 14:08 on Mar 24, 2010

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

edit: talked my friend into buying it instead

Hadlock fucked around with this message at 17:46 on Mar 24, 2010

Carbohydrates
Nov 22, 2006

Savvy?

The Mystery Date posted:

Get the 6120; they both look, play, and sound awesome.
Well, okay.

Theos
Oct 18, 2002

by angerbot

warwick5s posted:

I do like H-H (especially with a five way selector so you can get the outer coils and the neck in parallel) but guitars with just a bridge humbucker and volume knob are loving fantastic.

I really want that Prestige Ibanez from a few years ago with one SD bucker in the bridge and an Edge Zero. :circlefap:

gently caress yes! I didn't know Ibanez made a guitar like that. I'm partial to the ESP M-1 NTB in the same vein. It will be my next guitar now that I've scrapped my plans for the stratocaster.

http://carlinoguitars.com/ESPM1neckthrough.html

Only registered members can see post attachments!

gvonpaul
Jan 21, 2005
Goober

woodhead posted:

Yea, honestly I just winged it. I think I bought 30' of PVC and 10' of foam. I counted up the elbows, 4 ways, and T's though. For the base width I just set 2 pieces of pvc about 1 inch off the ground and moved them around until my guitars all were off the ground. You'll notice in this picture it's actually a bit too tall. I took the top 2 vertical bars and shortened them by about 6" when I painted it, so now the guitars rest at about their 3-5th frets. Since there are at least 2 of every section of PVC it's really only important to cut the matching pieces equal lengths so things don't get wonky. The exact dimensions can be whatever you see fit for your gear. I had some extra PVC as well so I bought a couple 45 degree T's and made a few wire racks off the side.

Good luck! It's really quite easy and only took about half an hour to make mine.

Keep in mind that most foam will mar the finish of nitrocellulose finished guitars. May want to drape a tshirt over it to protect your guitars' finish (if they're nitro).

woodhead
Jan 29, 2008
try harder next time.

gvonpaul posted:

Keep in mind that most foam will mar the finish of nitrocellulose finished guitars. May want to drape a tshirt over it to protect your guitars' finish (if they're nitro).

Oh yea good point. I have felt over the foam to be safe. I'm not even sure if any of my guitars are nitro. How would I tell?

Carbohydrates
Nov 22, 2006

Savvy?

woodhead posted:

Oh yea good point. I have felt over the foam to be safe. I'm not even sure if any of my guitars are nitro. How would I tell?
Well, what've you got?

woodhead
Jan 29, 2008
try harder next time.

Carbohydrates posted:

Well, what've you got?

epi 335 dot deluxe
kramer 1980s strat copy
teisco 1966 et-440
fender acoustic
washburn banjo

gibson 1957 reissue vos goldtop (separate stand)

i doubt any of those would be a concern.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Carbohydrates
Nov 22, 2006

Savvy?
epi 335 dot deluxe - poly
kramer 1980s strat copy - poly
teisco 1966 et-440 - probably nitro actually
fender acoustic - poly
washburn banjo - poly