Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Plavski
Feb 1, 2006

I could be a revolutionary
To be honest, there are only a handful of poor Riffs and on the whole they're great.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ensign_Ricky
Jan 4, 2008

Daddy Warlord
of the
Children of the Corn

or something...

Plavski posted:

To be honest, there are only a handful of poor Riffs and on the whole they're great.

And to categorize the solo Mike ones as the poor Riffs is inaccurate. Predator has easily become one of my favorites.

I'd like to see Kevin and Bill do Predator 2 as a follow up.

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light
New short is out!

Plavski
Feb 1, 2006

Ensign_Ricky posted:

And to categorize the solo Mike ones as the poor Riffs is inaccurate. Predator has easily become one of my favorites.

I'd like to see Kevin and Bill do Predator 2 as a follow up.
Over the Top is my favourite Riff; I love the Mike solo ones.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:
The Star Wars Holiday Special is easily the best rifftrax now. That whole movie was completely insane, but man the guys are relentless. And I loved Bill's imitation of any of the wookies, I'm giggling all over here just thinking about it.

daspope
Sep 20, 2006

The first twilight rifftrax was great, while the movie was horrible and hard to believe it was in theaters. New Moon surpassed the first how bad the first and ended on nothing--the riff was great. I want to see face punch though.

CrumFUNist!
Nov 27, 2005

Calaveron posted:

The Star Wars Holiday Special is easily the best rifftrax now. That whole movie was completely insane, but man the guys are relentless. And I loved Bill's imitation of any of the wookies, I'm giggling all over here just thinking about it.

I wish there was a way for them to riff nothing but '70s commercials.

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
The short, "The Following Instructions Game" is great.

"Why is your workshop full of insane garbage?"

Plavski
Feb 1, 2006

CrumFUNist! posted:

I wish there was a way for them to riff nothing but '70s commercials.
Nah man, it'll be fun for approximately 3.7 seconds.

doctor 7
Oct 10, 2003

In the grim darkness of the future there is only Oakley.

Oh man New Moon is loving great as promised

"Jacob, I know you have something you want to say to me."
I can see it in your... nipples.

"Thank you for keeping Bella alive when... I didn't."
"No, you didn't."
I know.
Exactly!
Alright then!
Fine!

Priceless.

daspope posted:

The first twilight rifftrax was great, while the movie was horrible and hard to believe it was in theaters. New Moon surpassed the first how bad the first and ended on nothing--the riff was great. I want to see face punch though.
Face punch was the only genuinely entertaining moment in the New Moon 2 hour bore fest.

doctor 7 fucked around with this message at 06:10 on Mar 24, 2010

Nucleic Acids
Apr 10, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 33 hours!
Maybe it was mentioned in the books, but why was Bella driving Fred Sanford's truck?

Paradox Personified
Mar 15, 2010

:sun: SoroScrew :sun:

Nucleic Acids posted:

Maybe it was mentioned in the books, but why was Bella driving Fred Sanford's truck?

I laughed so hard when Bill started doing the theme to Sanford and Son (Or was it Kevin? I mix up their voices after all these years. And feel bad about it.)

casual poster
Jun 29, 2009

So casual.
I had been on the rifftrax site earlier, a month or two ago, and they mentioned something about using a special player that they had available on their site, but now when I go back there its not there. Have they gotten rid of it and we just have to synch the tracks ourselves?

It's probably no big deal though, you just start it when the title screen starts, right?

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away

casual poster posted:

I had been on the rifftrax site earlier, a month or two ago, and they mentioned something about using a special player that they had available on their site, but now when I go back there its not there. Have they gotten rid of it and we just have to synch the tracks ourselves?

It's probably no big deal though, you just start it when the title screen starts, right?

It was called, oddly enough, The Rifftrax Player. You put the DVD in your drive and it would sync up automatically. It had a few bugs in it, though.

The starting point for the Rifftrax varies. Mike tells you when to start the track in the instructions.

I've just been re-authoring the DVDs.

Universe Master
Jun 20, 2005

Darn Fine Pie

casual poster posted:

Yes, the initial version of the Rifftrax Player is no longer supported because they were having so many syncing issues. They are supposed to be developing a new one, but that could take awhile.

Overwined
Sep 22, 2008

Wine can of their wits the wise beguile,
Make the sage frolic, and the serious smile.
It was an awesome idea with some flaws. I really hope they bring it back. Hell, they can even charge for it and I'd buy if it worked reasonably well. Almost every rifftrax I've played while manual syncing required a but of re-syncing at some point in the movie and that's kind of a pain.

fenix down
Jan 12, 2005

Paradox Personified posted:

I laughed so hard when Bill started doing the theme to Sanford and Son (Or was it Kevin? I mix up their voices after all these years. And feel bad about it.)
Mike: deep soothing voice
Kevin: mid-range
Bill: higher-pitched nasally whine

edit: now with video! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CJCLo7W8fBw

fenix down fucked around with this message at 16:17 on Mar 24, 2010

PissChrist
Feb 21, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo

Rev. Bleech_ posted:

I never liked Bill's Crow on MST3k; loathed him, in fact. It took Rifftrax to make me fall in love with the man :swoon:

I am in total agreement with you there. I actually hated Mike when he took over for Joel on MST3K. That quickly faded away though. Bill I just could not get used to. Love him on Rifftrax.

Saint Sputnik
Apr 1, 2007

Tyrannosaurs in P-51 Volkswagens!
e: /\/\/\ Crow's my favorite and I loved Bill doing the character. Such a happy-go-lucky idiot. It was his brain guy character who did nothing for me.

Just watched the New Moon riff. That movie was... inexplicable. Riffing was good; even with a movie where nothing happens, they can keep the jokes coming.

Saint Sputnik fucked around with this message at 16:31 on Mar 24, 2010

Corridor
Oct 19, 2006

PissChrist posted:

I am in total agreement with you there. I actually hated Mike when he took over for Joel on MST3K. That quickly faded away though. Bill I just could not get used to. Love him on Rifftrax.

As much as I loved Trace and mourned his departure, gotta admit that after an episode or two I couldn't really tell much difference between the Crows.

I did like how at the start of series 8 (first one with Bill replacing Trace), Crow inexplicably doesn't recognise the crew and they have to introduce themselves. :shobon:

Aaargh the Rifftrax shorts. I've been ignoring them in favour of the full-length films for some reason and now I really want to see them, they all look so funny. Only 99c each but there are so many!

Saint Sputnik posted:

e: /\/\/\ Crow's my favorite and I loved Bill doing the character. Such a happy-go-lucky idiot. It was his brain guy character who did nothing for me.

I got really sick of Brain Guy and Bobo pretty quickly. Mary Jo was pretty great but the host segments really suffered with the loss of Dr. Forrester. At least the riffs were still good.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:

fenix down posted:

Mike: deep soothing voice
Kevin: mid-range
Bill: higher-pitched nasally whine

edit: now with video! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CJCLo7W8fBw

Now with BETTER video! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GcE-TJhjXPI&feature=related

Bob Shadycharacter
Dec 19, 2005
I honestly don't really get the concept of "this movie is so bad I can't even watch it with the rifftrax"! I mean, none of these films are really as bad as half the stuff they did on MST3K so.

The only thing I would refuse to watch with a rifftrax is something like a saw movie, I really just can't handle that. But as far as general badness goes, skys the limit.

Maybe sky's the limit is the wrong phrase.

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away

Bob Shadycharacter posted:

The only thing I would refuse to watch with a rifftrax is something like a saw movie, I really just can't handle that. But as far as general badness goes, skys the limit.

Saw (the movie, not the riff) wasn't anywhere nearly as bad as I had anticipated.

Corridor
Oct 19, 2006

Oh god the Star Wars Holiday Special.

"I have to ask a question... if you're watching this right now, and you're a furry... are you turned on?"

Bob Shadycharacter
Dec 19, 2005

Mister Kingdom posted:

Saw (the movie, not the riff) wasn't anywhere nearly as bad as I had anticipated.

Really? I'm really pretty squemish when it comes to torture type stuff (I think I have a really hard time not mentally putting myself in that situation and it's really unpleasant). I stay away from horror in general cause I'm easily scared but the Halloween riff didn't bother me or anything.

I suppose it probably gets exaggerated a lot when people post about it online.

PissChrist
Feb 21, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo

Corridor posted:

As much as I loved Trace and mourned his departure, gotta admit that after an episode or two I couldn't really tell much difference between the Crows.

I just had a problem with the different voice. I've never been one for voice changes in anything. Crow as a character was just as good.

Plavski
Feb 1, 2006

We ran out of food, we eat baskets now!

Loving this Termie riff.

Sheldrake
Jul 19, 2006

~pettin in the park~

PissChrist posted:

I just had a problem with the different voice. I've never been one for voice changes in anything. Crow as a character was just as good.

So you hated Tom Servo's new voice too?

Ensign_Ricky
Jan 4, 2008

Daddy Warlord
of the
Children of the Corn

or something...
From Mike's Twitter, it sounds like the next riff may be painful:

michaeljnelson posted:

Check out this astounding x-ray of my skull minutes after watching the movie "Speed Racer".

The knife was probably to stop the crazy light induced seizures.

(Seriously though, my wife's neurologist advised her not to see Speed Racer based on the crazy effects had a good chance of setting off her epilepsy. How messed up is that?)

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Mister Kingdom posted:

Aside from the near-omnipotence of the antagonist, it really wasn't that bad. Plus, Danny Glover.

I honestly don't really get the concept of "this movie is so bad I can't even watch it with the rifftrax"! I mean, none of these films are really as bad as half the stuff they did on MST3K so.
The difference between New Moon and the crap they had on MST3K is that that stuff was so bad it was fun to make fun of. New Moon is just so loving painful. It's aggressively bad. It aspires to make you want to punch all the characters repeatedly. Nothing in it is inherently funny, except imagining the horrible things the guy who plays Edward was probably thinking about twilight fans or the beast who created it.

edit: oh boy, Speed Racer! I'm one of the few who actually enjoyed it, the camp was obvious and anyone who took it seriously at all is a dumb baby. Also seeing it in digital(and being one of four people including my friend there didn't hurt) made it all the more overly colorful. If I had to put it in a single word, I think that word would be "dazzling". And when I say "dazzling", I don't mean brilliance in the intelligence sense. :v:

I don't doubt they'll tear it to bits and I'll love every minute of it though.

Captain Invictus fucked around with this message at 19:59 on Mar 24, 2010

Somberbrero
Feb 14, 2009

ꜱʜʀɪᴍᴘ?
Speed Racer was a fantastic film, and I will not entertain any notions to the contrary.

PissChrist
Feb 21, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo

Sheldrake posted:

So you hated Tom Servo's new voice too?

I didn't start watching MST3K till about 1993-94. At that point Kevin was the only Tom Servo I knew. A few years ago when I saw the original episodes. Josh was then new to me and I didn't like it.

On a side note. About half way through New Moon riff. Does anything ever happen in this movie? Awful.. just awful..

Bob Shadycharacter
Dec 19, 2005

Captain Invictus posted:

The difference between New Moon and the crap they had on MST3K is that that stuff was so bad it was fun to make fun of. New Moon is just so loving painful. It's aggressively bad. It aspires to make you want to punch all the characters repeatedly. Nothing in it is inherently funny, except imagining the horrible things the guy who plays Edward was probably thinking about twilight fans or the beast who created it.

I dunno, some of those old MSTs were insanely boring movies. I do get what you mean, New Moon was absolutely terrible, but I don't find it unpleasant to have around me, if that makes any sense. It's just kind of...there.

The only movies that I feel that way about are extreme depictions of physical pain or torture etc. and anything that involves a lot of violence done so someone's hands or fingers (I play piano so it is just too horrible to think about, basically).

PissChrist posted:

I didn't start watching MST3K till about 1993-94. At that point Kevin was the only Tom Servo I knew. A few years ago when I saw the original episodes. Josh was then new to me and I didn't like it.

On a side note. About half way through New Moon riff. Does anything ever happen in this movie? Awful.. just awful..

Absolutely nothing happens in New Moon.

The next one is even worse, in terms of nothingness happening.

Plavski
Feb 1, 2006

Anyone who argues that New Moon is worse than an MST flick obviously never saw the Castle of Fu-Manchu. I'm pretty sure the Collins Oxford Dictionary replaced all definitions of 'Tedious' with a big picture of that film.

New Moon is a hundred million billion times more watchable than the Castle of Fu-Manchu.

Bob Shadycharacter
Dec 19, 2005

Plavski posted:

Anyone who argues that New Moon is worse than an MST flick obviously never saw the Castle of Fu-Manchu. I'm pretty sure the Collins Oxford Dictionary replaced all definitions of 'Tedious' with a big picture of that film.

New Moon is a hundred million billion times more watchable than the Castle of Fu-Manchu.

I think that's one of the ones I've never really seen! I used to put on a different tape every night and there are a few episodes that consistantly put me to sleep within 15 minutes or so.

Edit: for my money, though, the worst one they ever did was Werewolf. I mean, every single thing about the movie is terrible. The plot makes no sense. You can't hear what anyone is saying. The special effects suck beyond belief. There's no cotinuity. The music is horrifically bad. The dialogue - when you can hear it - is retarded.

I don't think there's one thing right about it.

Could probably say the same thing for Future War, too.

Bob Shadycharacter fucked around with this message at 20:46 on Mar 24, 2010

Sinfjotli
Dec 22, 2003

Lemon Curry?

I think that's one of the ones I've never really seen! I used to put on a different tape every night and there are a few episodes that consistantly put me to sleep within 15 minutes or so.

Edit: for my money, though, the worst one they ever did was Werewolf. I mean, every single thing about the movie is terrible. The plot makes no sense. You can't hear what anyone is saying. The special effects suck beyond belief. There's no cotinuity. The music is horrifically bad. The dialogue - when you can hear it - is retarded.

I don't think there's one thing right about it.

Could probably say the same thing for Future War, too.

Werewolf and Future War were both awful, miles worse than New Moon, but I have to say Red Zone Cuba is the worst movie I can remember seeing on MST3K. None of the scenes seemed related to each other at all, and I'm still not sure what the hell it was supposed to be about.

New Moon is the best riff they've done in a while I think, I really prefer it when they actually rip into the movie for being awful rather than use the movie as a springboard to make jokes. The later seems to happen a lot when they riff "blockbuster" type movies, even terrible ones like "Transformers" or "Fantastic Four."

I think my favorite thing about New Moon though is that when the girl who played Bella and the guy who played Edward had to kiss the both seemed totally repulsed by each other. I don't think I've ever seen a movie where the two romantic leads actually have negative chemistry, but it's pretty hilarious.

Nut Bunnies
May 24, 2005

Fun Shoe
Speed Racer is indeed great, but I could see it being a good riff. Of course, it could fall prey to the Drag Me To Hell Effect where riffing a self-aware movie falls flat.

Bob Shadycharacter
Dec 19, 2005

Sinfjotli posted:

Werewolf and Future War were both awful, miles worse than New Moon, but I have to say Red Zone Cuba is the worst movie I can remember seeing on MST3K. None of the scenes seemed related to each other at all, and I'm still not sure what the hell it was supposed to be about.

New Moon is the best riff they've done in a while I think, I really prefer it when they actually rip into the movie for being awful rather than use the movie as a springboard to make jokes. The later seems to happen a lot when they riff "blockbuster" type movies, even terrible ones like "Transformers" or "Fantastic Four."

I think my favorite thing about New Moon though is that when the girl who played Bella and the guy who played Edward had to kiss the both seemed totally repulsed by each other. I don't think I've ever seen a movie where the two romantic leads actually have negative chemistry, but it's pretty hilarious.

The amazing thing about their lack of chemistry is that they're dating in real life - or were the last time I looked at a tabloid. They're acting is so bad it trancends reality.

Oh god, yeah ok - I actually literally forgot Red Zone Cuba existed. It's so bad it's not even a movie.

(Which episode was it where they made the comment "Maybe they don't even know they're making a movie! Maybe they think they're working in an entirely different medium like...fabric sculpture." I wanna say it was one of the Japanese ones)

Plavski
Feb 1, 2006

The Coleman Francis films are hilarious because they're so awful. That's a different category than Castle of Fu-Manchu which is just so awful it's awful. Like an Uwe Boll film: too bad to be funny.

Seriously: the terrible Castro actor, the ridiculous jump in plot from Cuba mission to gold mine hunt, the frog legs guy getting thrown down the well, the 'water, thirsty' bit, the same guy getting executed multiple times, the strangling of tony cardoza in the hotel, the final line 'he ran all the way to hell, with a penny and a bent cigarette', the loving awesome title song, the miraculous arrival at the end of the dude who died, coleman drinking coffee and eating, 'i'm cherokee jack'... so many hysterical parts to that film, even without the riffing.

I'm sorry, but Red Zone Cuba is one of the worst choices to pick for movies that suck; it's a comedic masterpiece.

Compare it to the utter boredom of Fu-Manchu, or The Beatniks, or City Limits, or Teenage Caveman. Red Zone Cuba, hell all the Francis films, are infinitely better for a whole variety of reasons.

I'd certainly much rather sit through a Francis film than a Boll flick any day.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CrumFUNist!
Nov 27, 2005

Plavski posted:

The Coleman Francis films are hilarious because they're so awful. That's a different category than Castle of Fu-Manchu which is just so awful it's awful. Like an Uwe Boll film: too bad to be funny.

Seriously: the terrible Castro actor, the ridiculous jump in plot from Cuba mission to gold mine hunt, the frog legs guy getting thrown down the well, the 'water, thirsty' bit, the same guy getting executed multiple times, the strangling of tony cardoza in the hotel, the final line 'he ran all the way to hell, with a penny and a bent cigarette', the loving awesome title song, the miraculous arrival at the end of the dude who died, coleman drinking coffee and eating, 'i'm cherokee jack'... so many hysterical parts to that film, even without the riffing.

I'm sorry, but Red Zone Cuba is one of the worst choices to pick for movies that suck; it's a comedic masterpiece.

Compare it to the utter boredom of Fu-Manchu, or The Beatniks, or City Limits, or Teenage Caveman. Red Zone Cuba, hell all the Francis films, are infinitely better for a whole variety of reasons.

I'd certainly much rather sit through a Francis film than a Boll flick any day.

City Limits wasn't boring, it had that cheesy '80s quality to it that made it watchable to an extent.

• Locked thread