Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

notcreativeenough
Mar 8, 2010

by Fistgrrl

cheerfullydrab posted:

This article basically says "Greene made a claim", then adds in some pointless innuendo about Greene to muddy up the waters, then has a pointless paragraph that states nothing. How is that in any way a criticism of the things that are in Greene's book?

Remember, the book is not Bob Greene telling you stories or Bob Greene telling you his opinions about the war or how returning soldiers were treated. It's a collection of letters from veterans about their experiences. The fact that he never went to Vietnam doesn't have a drat thing to do with the content of the book because it's got very little Bob Greene in it.

Also it's got a lot more in it than stories about spitting on soldiers. Look at the sections I listed in my previous post.

The criticism applied to the spitting claims that had the same almost exact same story and conditions. Which you find in urban legends and stuff such as when people claim something happened on tv when it was actually not shown or applied to several celeberities when no such footage has ever been found.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.

notcreativeenough posted:

The criticism applied to the spitting claims that had the same almost exact same story and conditions. Which you find in urban legends and stuff such as when people claim something happened on tv when it was actually not shown or applied to several celeberities when no such footage has ever been found.

It's a pretty bad article. It's poorly written, poorly sourced, presents rumor as fact, and cites a Cheech and Chong movie.

Very few of the stories in the book have much in common with each other. It's not a book supportive of the war in any way, shape, or form. Its message is mostly "The Vietnam War sucked and most people on both sides of the political spectrum treated veterans poorly."

notcreativeenough
Mar 8, 2010

by Fistgrrl

cheerfullydrab posted:

It's a pretty bad article. It's poorly written, poorly sourced, presents rumor as fact, and cites a Cheech and Chong movie.

Very few of the stories in the book have much in common with each other. It's not a book supportive of the war in any way, shape, or form. Its message is mostly "The Vietnam War sucked and most people on both sides of the political spectrum treated veterans poorly."

http://www.slate.com/id/1005224/
Lembcke uncovered a whole lot of spitting from the war years, but the published accounts always put the antiwar protester on the receiving side of a blast from a pro-Vietnam counterprotester. Surely, he contends, the news pages would have given equal treatment to a story about serviceman getting the treatment. Then why no stories in the newspaper morgues, he asks?

In most urban myths, the details morph slightly from telling to telling, but at least one element survives unchanged. In the tale of the spitting protester, the signature element is the location: The protester almost always ambushes the serviceman at the airport--not in a park, or at a bar, or on Main Street. Also, it's not uncommon for the insulted serviceman to have flown directly in from Vietnam.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.

In most urban myths, the details morph slightly from telling to telling, but at least one element survives unchanged. In the tale of the spitting protester, the signature element is the location: The protester almost always ambushes the serviceman at the airport--not in a park, or at a bar, or on Main Street. Also, it's not uncommon for the insulted serviceman to have flown directly in from Vietnam.

Here are some transcribed sentences from letters in the book. I've taken out all their context and left only the bare facts, which rarely fit into the pattern you've described.

page 31, M. Tierny of Las Vegas, Nevada

quote:

I attended a military reunion in New York in 1968. I was standing in front of the Waldorf waiting for a cab when a young girl walked up to me and spat. She said something and walked away.

page 46/7, Dennis Jackson of Loveland, Colorado

quote:

I was spit on while in full dress uniform in Memphis, Tennessee. This happened before I went to Vietnam -- not after.

Anyway, the people who spit on me were in a passing car -- didn't have the courage to walk up to me to spit. This was in February or March of 1970. The guy who spit was probably the same age I was.

page 48, Ernest R. Huerta of Chicago, Illinois

quote:

I was spit at, while in uniform, in Chicago.

The incident occured on Rush Street in early April, 1970. It was my last night at home.
If you're interested in the subject, again, I'd encourage you to read the book. It's a good source for a lot of things. I'll repeat that it's not some sort of bullshit rah-rah anti-hippie screed. It's pretty clearly an anti-war book.

jackpot
Aug 31, 2004

First cousin to the Black Rabbit himself. Such was Woundwort's monument...and perhaps it would not have displeased him.<
"On Killing" is another one that dealt with the spitting thing a little bit (specifically referencing Homecoming), and post-war treatment of Vietnam vets in general. To hear the guy tell it, between how the war was waged (terribly) and how we treated the soldiers during and after (also terribly), it's a wonder we didn't end up with a few hundred thousand real-life Rambos blowing our poo poo up.

Swashy
Sep 16, 2008
Edit: I dun hosed up and didn't read.

Swashy fucked around with this message at 05:05 on Mar 23, 2010

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!

I'm not clear on why you are focused on spitting or why you or anyone else would convince themselves it never happened but I'm sure at some point it did happen and I seriously doubt it was some conservative conspiracy by the American Legion and WWII vets to disparage hippies. I also have no doubt that stories about spitting were exaggerated and that some stories just weren't true, such is life. These days we live with cameras everywhere, on street posts, in cop cars, in parking lots and in your pocket, but 40 years ago this wasn't the case and if we go around assuming that anything that wasn't caught on camera never happened we are going to be questioning an awful lot of history.

notcreativeenough
Mar 8, 2010

by Fistgrrl

wormil posted:

I'm not clear on why you are focused on spitting or why you or anyone else would convince themselves it never happened but I'm sure at some point it did happen and I seriously doubt it was some conservative conspiracy by the American Legion and WWII vets to disparage hippies. I also have no doubt that stories about spitting were exaggerated and that some stories just weren't true, such is life. These days we live with cameras everywhere, on street posts, in cop cars, in parking lots and in your pocket, but 40 years ago this wasn't the case and if we go around assuming that anything that wasn't caught on camera never happened we are going to be questioning an awful lot of history.

The point is most of the spitting stories were crap tales that came from someone's uncle or friend. The spitting on vietnam vets that were reported on had the vietnam vets being part of the anti-war protestors that were spat on by the pro-war protestors. This spitting on the anti-war protestors has been largely forgotten.

Why was there no press reports of pro-war protestors or vietnam vets among the pro-war protestors being spat upon by hippies? Why no viets coming forward to the press when this was supposedly happening. The tales came years afterward and seemed largely influenced by movies not real life.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!

The point is most of the spitting stories were crap tales that came from someone's uncle or friend. The spitting on vietnam vets that were reported on had the vietnam vets being part of the anti-war protestors that were spat on by the pro-war protestors. This spitting on the anti-war protestors has been largely forgotten.

Why was there no press reports of pro-war protestors or vietnam vets among the pro-war protestors being spat upon by hippies? Why no viets coming forward to the press when this was supposedly happening. The tales came years afterward and seemed largely influenced by movies not real life.

So you're largely convincing yourself it didn't happen because you don't want to believe it happened?

Look, I never saw a soldier spit on but I can tell you first hand that there was a lot of hostility towards soldiers in general well into the 80's. I wrote this up before and deleted it because I didn't want to derail further but it seems we're going down this path anyway... I joined the Army in the mid 80's and I could tell you some first hand stories of the hostility I faced even then, no spitting that I remember but neighbors and friends of the family who decided I was no longer welcome in their home, who no longer wanted to speak to me. My girlfriend's family had asked me to stay with her while they went on vacation then a few days later when they learned I had enlisted, banned me from their home. Not to mention some vile things that were said. So now 40 years later some guy on the internet decides that it never happened because it wasn't all over the six-o'clock news, I'm siding with the vets because I have no reason to doubt them. I do have reason to doubt all the people who want to pretend the hostility was exaggerated. I will add that the people who were nice to me when I enlisted and afterward, were veterans, especially WWII era vets and people from that generation and oddly enough, bikers. All this hostility changed with Reagan, who despite his faults and failed economic policies, restored our military to fighting form and restored our country's faith in it's armed forces.

Pththya-lyi
Nov 8, 2009

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020
My dad actually did some research into this, and he concludes that spitting wasn't uncommon. He's actually a pretty smart guy - despite being a :siren:LIBERTARIAN:siren: - and I think that the evidence is on his side. He protested the war when he was in college in the 70s. He found a guy who admitted to spitting on soldiers at the Denver Airport in the early 70's (this guy is also known for inventing the word "blogosphere"), and also some people who worked at the San Francisco airport and reported many cases of spitting on servicemen, including amputees.

He further tells me there's lots of contemporaneous complains about spitting in newspapers and government documents, even in the pro-hippie government report the 1968 Democratic Convention. He says that Lembcke's research methods sucked because he used Westlaw and Lexis-Nexis to find his articles, even though those databases only started indexing newspapers around 1980. Finally, Dad concludes that almost every one of Lembcke's major claims are demonstrably false - soldiers did land at civilian airports, some of them did fight back, the stories don't all fit the same pattern, etc., etc.

Oh, and he can beat up your dad.:colbert:

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

From page 14, an excerpt from the letter of David McTamaney of Newburgh, New York:

quote:

As I entered the bathroom, a young guy, about twenty or so, wearing a headband and a leather vest, stepped back and looked at me.

"Have you been in Vietnam?" he asked innocently.
"Yeah, I said, "I just got back, and I'm heading home to Al-"

He never let me finish. He leaned back, made a couple of swishing motions with his mouth, and spat in my face. I jumped backward, but his spittle hit me on my bare arm.

I took a step forward, realizing that he couldn't escape, and felt my heart being to pump faster. I felt myself getting ready to rip him to pieces. Instead--and I still don't know why--I let him walk past me. I went to the sink and washed off my arm. I dragged all my stuff into the toilet stall, locked the door, put my face in my hands, and cried for the first time in months.

My transcription from Homecoming. Who would make this poo poo up? Why?

Tape Speed
Aug 3, 2005

by T. Finn
Of course some people got spit on. Some portion of people are uncouth assholes. They spit on people that make their emotions rise because they can't deal with it. You could probably find a hundred stories from the Afghan/Iraqi wars going on now of rear end in a top hat kids spitting on troops. It's the same people that would spit on cops trying to give them a ticket because they walked up and the parking meter was expired.

It can certainly be documented to have happened many times, what the myth that has been built up around it is that is was ever a systemic problem, or that people went out of their way to do it, or people that are civilized enough to not spit on others were just really peeved by this and decided this would be the time they went out of their way to express their discontent.

quote:

These days we live with cameras everywhere, on street posts, in cop cars, in parking lots and in your pocket, but 40 years ago this wasn't the case and if we go around assuming that anything that wasn't caught on camera never happened we are going to be questioning an awful lot of history.

Right... but cameras were widespread enough that if we don't have pictures or footage, we can assume it never got to be enough of a problem or occurred frequently enough that people wanted to document it for posterity (like what eventually happened to people keeping track of the Vietnam protests, or the civil rights movements, the early incidents were missed, spread by word-of-mouth, and then we get to the point where they made drat sure cameras were on hand for any chance of getting a picture like the Kent State one or the MLK assassination one)

The fact that there isn't some sort of evidence beyond people's stories tells me it was just a "dealing with common assholes" problem like getting cut off in traffic or having your car keyed in the parking lot and not something more like Forrest Gump wants us to believe.

SpergyGirl posted:

My dad actually did some research into this, and he concludes that spitting wasn't uncommon. He's actually a pretty smart guy - despite being a :siren:LIBERTARIAN:siren: - and I think that the evidence is on his side. He protested the war when he was in college in the 70s. He found a guy who admitted to spitting on soldiers at the Denver Airport in the early 70's (this guy is also known for inventing the word "blogosphere"), and also some people who worked at the San Francisco airport and reported many cases of spitting on servicemen, including amputees.

Did he do research more in depth than "confirming it happened?" (not meant as questioning your father at all) I'm interested if anyone has ever examined the volunteers/pre-enlisteds recollections and draftees/"what the gently caress happened to me" guys recollections as discrete units

Tape Speed fucked around with this message at 07:53 on Mar 23, 2010

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

Tape Speed posted:

The fact that there isn't some sort of evidence beyond people's stories tells me it was just a "dealing with common assholes" problem like getting cut off in traffic or having your car keyed in the parking lot and not something more like Forrest Gump wants us to believe.

What kind of story would you like, specifically? What point do you want to have proven to you?

Tape Speed
Aug 3, 2005

by T. Finn

cheerfullydrab posted:

What kind of story would you like, specifically? What point do you want to have proven to you?

Its not something that could be done with one, or two, or ten stories. That would just be anecdotal. I'd just like to see the whole corpus and read how many stories have the offender as like, a typical young person one would never expect to be so disrespectful/rude doing it to a soldier in uniform vs. the stories where:

quote:

wearing a headband and a leather vest
rose colored glasses, Birkenstocks, unkempt beard, reeking of pot, Age of Aquarius type people were the offenders, and which group reported what.

Pththya-lyi
Nov 8, 2009

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020

Tape Speed posted:

Did he do research more in depth than "confirming it happened?" (not meant as questioning your father at all) I'm interested if anyone has ever examined the volunteers/pre-enlisteds recollections and draftees/"what the gently caress happened to me" guys recollections as discrete units

As I said, he did find that stories varied in terms of who was doing the spitting (it wasn't all hippie types), where and when spitting occurred, how servicemen reacted, etc. He even did some statistical analysis of the accounts in order to challenge Lembcke's argument that women didn't spit. He found that the phrase "she spat" showed up more frequently than the phrase "he spat," while the phrase "he punched" was more common than "she punched." This makes sense: because women are socialized not to be physically violent, they tend to express their hostilities in ways that don't involve force, such as verbal insults and spitting.

I'll have to ask Dad some more about his research. He'll be happy to answer - he loves to argue his positions - but he's gone to bed already like a sane person, and I should too. See you tomorrow, thread!

Edit: Grammar.

Pththya-lyi fucked around with this message at 09:39 on Mar 23, 2010

notcreativeenough
Mar 8, 2010

by Fistgrrl
Lembecke also questioned people. The people who claimed the spitting by hippies happened admitted it didn't happen to them they heard about it from a friend of a friend.

Also the news reports about spitting from pro war people were from newspaper archives. Sorry most people that did fact checking meaning talk to people and question them the stories of the spitting fell apart. Many people outright lied about it. You have people claiming to be Vietnam vets all the time in emails, forums but they had never served.

Megiddo
Apr 27, 2004

Unicorns bite, but their bites feel GOOD.
What about the spitter? Surely, if soldiers being spat upon was not uncommon, there would be some number of those who spat on soldiers who are willing to admit doing so, and who are remorseful enough about it to apologize?

I can only find this:

http://www.duluthnewstribune.com/event/guestbook/id/122857/

quote:

...I asked him if I could give him a hug and when I did, I apologized. I apologized for not knowing about the horror for our soldiers. I apologized for spitting on his comrades; I apologized for not being a better American by being able to separate the soldier from the war.
However, I think it's unclear if she actually means that she personally spat on soldiers.

Armyman25
Sep 6, 2005
My dad is Vietnam Vet. He was in the signal corps and fixed teletypes in Vietnam. He was called a baby killer to his face after he got back.

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
i'm trying to sneak around
but i'm dummy thicc
and the clap of my ass cheeks
keeps alerting the guards!

Armyman25 posted:

My dad is Vietnam Vet. He was in the signal corps and fixed teletypes in Vietnam. He was called a baby killer to his face after he got back.

He didn't happen to be voting on health care reform at the time, right?

Pththya-lyi
Nov 8, 2009

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020
I haven't talked to Dad about his research yet, but I did want to answer this one question:

Megiddo posted:

What about the spitter? Surely, if soldiers being spat upon was not uncommon, there would be some number of those who spat on soldiers who are willing to admit doing so, and who are remorseful enough about it to apologize?

As I posted before, Bill Quick of Daily Pundit admitted that he spat on servicemen when he was a wild-eyed hippie:

Bill Quick posted:

I was a red-hot leftist (marxist) revolutionary back then, and I did spit on a couple of returning vets. From the safety of a crowd, behind a barricade and a police line.

I was an America-hating rear end in a top hat and a coward. I’ve learned better, and I’ve learned to feel regret for my shameful actions then. [Source].

notcreativeenough
Mar 8, 2010

by Fistgrrl

SpergyGirl posted:

I haven't talked to Dad about his research yet, but I did want to answer this one question:

As I posted before, Bill Quick of Daily Pundit admitted that he spat on servicemen when he was a wild-eyed hippie:

Daily Pundit isn't that part of the Pam Gellersphere?

Yep it is.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Daily_Pundit this guy has pretty much always been a conservative. His claim demands skepictism.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!

quote:

Right... but cameras were widespread enough that if we don't have pictures or footage, we can assume it never got to be enough of a problem or occurred frequently enough that people wanted to document it for posterity (like what eventually happened to people keeping track of the Vietnam protests, or the civil rights movements, the early incidents were missed, spread by word-of-mouth, and then we get to the point where they made drat sure cameras were on hand for any chance of getting a picture like the Kent State one or the MLK assassination one)

You're building it up too much. With cameras being literally everywhere it would be no effort to capture something like that today but 40 years ago no one is going to drag a camera around just to catch someone spitting, it is in no way comparable to Kent State, assassinations or even general protests. Again people are focusing on the spitting specifically but it was just part of a general hostility toward soldiers. I'm sure at some point protesters through food at servicemen, at some point they probably tripped a serviceman; are you going to go through one behavior at a time trying to disprove each until you convince yourself that none of it happened?

I don't remember what happened in Forrest Gump but yes, it's a dealing with common assholes problem. I don't think anyone is saying that there was some sort of underground spitting brigade running around having organized spitting protests.

Pththya-lyi
Nov 8, 2009

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Daily_Pundit this guy has pretty much always been a conservative. His claim demands skepictism.
Yes, because nobody ever changes their political opinions.:rolleyes:

Note that Quick's post doesn't just express his regret over spitting on soldiers, but also expresses his regret over being a filthy hippie. He had a lot of liberal, optimistic ideas in his youth, but then he got disillusioned with those ideas and came to reject them. I believe the same thing happened to most of his generation - it certainly happened to my parents.

Edit: Dad said that he listened to Texas Tech’s “great” collection of oral histories, which you can listen to at the Vietnam Center and Archive website. I won't elaborate any further about his stuff: he may or may not publish something, and, you know, Net privacy and all that.

Pththya-lyi fucked around with this message at 23:24 on Mar 23, 2010

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
but i'm dummy thicc

SpergyGirl posted:

He had a lot of liberal, optimistic ideas in his youth, but then he got disillusioned with those ideas and came to reject them. I believe the same thing happened to most of his generation - it certainly happened to my parents.

I fear for my own political sanity when a person can be swayed away from a mindset with a basic tenet being "gently caress all the time".

Erin Esurance Waifu
Sep 28, 2006
THIS WILL CURDLE YOUR BLOOD AND CURL YOUR HAIR

[PIC OF OBAMA WITH BOOK]

The name of the book Obama is reading is called:

The Post-American World, and it was written by a fellow Muslim.

"Post" America means the world After America ! Please forward this picture to everyone you know, conservative or liberal. We must expose Obama's radical ideas and his intent to bring down our beloved America !

crime fighting hog
Jun 29, 2006

I only pray, Heaven knows when to lift you out

Wiles posted:

THIS WILL CURDLE YOUR BLOOD AND CURL YOUR HAIR

[PIC OF OBAMA WITH BOOK]

The name of the book Obama is reading is called:

The Post-American World, and it was written by a fellow Muslim.

"Post" America means the world After America ! Please forward this picture to everyone you know, conservative or liberal. We must expose Obama's radical ideas and his intent to bring down our beloved America !

"This is not a book about the decline of America, but rather about the rise of everyone else." So begins Fareed Zakaria's important new work on the era we are now entering. Following on the success of his best-selling The Future of Freedom, Zakaria describes with equal prescience a world in which the United States will no longer dominate the global economy, orchestrate geopolitics, or overwhelm cultures. He sees the "rise of the rest"—the growth of countries like China, India, Brazil, Russia, and many others—as the great story of our time, and one that will reshape the world. The tallest buildings, biggest dams, largest-selling movies, and most advanced cell phones are all being built outside the United States. This economic growth is producing political confidence, national pride, and potentially international problems. How should the United States understand and thrive in this rapidly changing international climate? What does it mean to live in a truly global era? Zakaria answers these questions with his customary lucidity, insight, and imagination.

freebooter
Jul 7, 2009

I love it that they had to explain what "post" means.

Esplanade
Jan 6, 2005

Anyone seen this one before? It looks like someone just cherry-picked numbers to set up a worst-case scenario, but does anyone with more knowledge of the specifics of the healthcare bill know whether this could pass a fact check?

"An employer (Mr. X) has 75 employees...he currently pays $450,00 for insurance benefits per year for his employees. If he drops them, he will be "fined" $2000 for each employee, minus the first 30, bringing him to $90,000 that he is to pay in to the government. This is a saving of $360,000 to Mr. X. Now the employees no longer have healthcare, and will be "fined" for not obtaining it."

Thanks.
VVVVVV

Esplanade fucked around with this message at 07:05 on Mar 24, 2010

notcreativeenough
Mar 8, 2010

by Fistgrrl

Esplanade posted:

Anyone seen this one before? It looks like someone just cherry-picked numbers to set up a worst-case scenario, but does anyone with more knowledge of the specifics of the healthcare bill know whether this could pass a fact check?

"An employer (Mr. X) has 75 employees...he currently pays $450,00 for insurance benefits per year for his employees. If he drops them, he will be "fined" $2000 for each employee, minus the first 30, bringing him to $90,000 that he is to pay in to the government. This is a saving of $360,000 to Mr. X. Now the employees no longer have healthcare, and will be "fined" for not obtaining it."

http://www.politifact.com/truth-o-meter/statements/2010/mar/08/nancy-pelosi/pelosi-claims-health-care-reform-will-create-thous/

http://www.politifact.com/truth-o-meter/article/2010/mar/18/top-10-facts-know-about-health-care-reform/

The fines could be quite significant and cost the employer a lot more. The employer isn't paying into the gov't at all for the health insurance. The fines occur when the employees have to buy the insurance from the exchange and qualify for a low income tax credit. The thing is most studies show this will actually create more jobs then is lost especially since the majority of people are hired by small businesses who cannot afford to provide healthcare to their employees.

dat one portagee
Dec 6, 2006

WAT DOIN BUG?

dad on facebook posted:

it's not that forcing employers/families to buy into insurance companies that destroy the industry. But when you make a mandate to not allow insurers to deny pre-existing conditions and make the penalty for not carrying insurance 1/10th the coast of the plan then why would you buy insurance at all until you need it. If I break my leg I head to the hospital and on the way call Group Health and demand my coverage. Oh by the way the bill also mandates pre-existing conditions not cost any more, so that s what will happen. I will predict that in the next several months families will start to drop coverage for children (mandate for children is immediate upon signing). That along with flooding the market with demand (30+ million) but not increasing supply you will increase cost. No way around that. Economics 101. These were not mistakes or over sites by this administration. it was designed to as i said "destroy" the insurance companies with the end game being single payer. then we are all F-ed. love you.

love you

Talking to dads on facebook is awesome.

tek79
Jun 16, 2008

dat one portagee's papa posted:

These were not mistakes or over sites by this administration. it was designed to as i said "destroy" the insurance companies...

Ask your Dad what he thinks about the insurance industry lobbyists who had their hand in this bill, and if he thinks they're trying to destroy their own industry.

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Black Magic Extraordinaire

tek79 posted:

Ask your Dad what he thinks about the insurance industry lobbyists who had their hand in this bill, and if he thinks they're trying to destroy their own industry.

Socialist spies. Destroy the institute from the inside. McCarthy was right...

EnsGDT
Nov 9, 2004

~boop boop beep motherfucker~

quote:

If – we look at history – and obviously our Hussein and Congress do not – but if we did – we would see how the same actions now being taken by our government turned a recession into a “Great Depression”. I’ve got news for you – expecting history to repeat itself here might actually prove to be far too sanguine. That’s because once established, the “New Deal” brought forward unprecedented federal spending that could never be reversed as bureaucracies and entitlements rarely end.

The entitlements established as a part of the New Deal, the very entitlements and bureaucracies that are now crippling us and are about to implode are still here. We cannot afford the OLD ones – but now that the radical left of this country are ADDING to the old ones, the proverbial camel’s back WILL be broken. The ONLY way we could mathematically support the old bureaucracies and entitlement plans + the new programs to come - is by turning to what is called Higher Communism. It would be more appropriately titled “The Great Abyss” - into which there is no bottom.

As much as I would like to believe that people now in power who use the misnomer of Democrat are simply too ignorant to understand this, I know better. If you stop and consider who is actually governing our country, those America protesting, drugged out, insolent hippies pictured in those Woodstock photos – it is obvious that none of this is coincidental. Don’t be fooled by the mere fact that they now take showers, cut their hair and wear business suits to the Capitol. They are still the same America hating zealots they were back then and their agenda is still the same. They don’t want you to call them communists because they know that there are still enough Americans alive who will reject them if they allow themselves to be referred to by that odious name.

I refuse to call them Democrats, progressives or even “socialists”. Socialist is a euphemism for these people. Their world views and most every other view they espouse are harmonious with Marx. These communists have thus far taken over our country without so much as a shot having been fired – so far.

As I look at the communist revolution taking place in this precious land right before my eyes, I am amazed by the prescience of Karl Marx. Karl Marx, in his Communist Manifesto, explicitly called for the "abolition of the family." He knew that the family is a microcosm of the nation. When the family is strong, the nation is strong. When the family is weak, the nation will crumble. Marx knew we would literally hand over our lives and liberty to government if the family could be undermined. The lack of morality makes a nation in need of “masters” as the society will be incapable of self government. We are seeing it everyday as we can no longer trust corporate America, our elected scoundrels or one another. There will be order under the communist regime; however, the scoundrels will rule with an iron fist - as communists always do.

Most will be miserable except for those governmental scoundrels we once elected. And to think that we abrogated our liberty in exchange for the promise of free healthcare and free college indoctrination! They will be worth the price of admission. As we have seen, they like all communists RULERS in power will live prosperous lives. As their mentor Nietzsche told them, we are the scaffolds – existing for the sole purpose of propping them up on our backs. THEY are not subject to the onerous rules and regulations like paying their taxes. That’s just for the little people. Wonder why the cretins in Hollywood would be so stupid as to support the very people who will take their wealth away? Most of them are indeed completely ignorant but some no doubt believe they will be a part of the ruling class. Maybe they will, maybe they won’t. Communists need to be entertained too; so they may be regarded as useful idiots and get a seat at the table. Even the Nazis kept some Jews alive for their amusement (artistic or carnal).

I don’t want to sound fatalistic nor do I intend to cede this power to the left. There is no doubt that we need more than a band-aid to fix this wound. It’s going to take more than the traditional strategies that have failed the Republican Party since President Reagan left office. Government cannot and will not fix our problems because they cannot fix US. They cannot make husbands and wives commit to their marriages and raise their children.

Right now we have to prevent the government from – being - the problem. They exploit the wounds that ail our nation for the purpose of procuring perpetual political power. They encourage the pollution that has permeated what has become the most important “environment” of our nation - entertainment. The greenhouse effect taking place in the atmosphere of our nation is the magnification of ignoble behavior, course language, and sexual innuendo in every venue of media including commercials by fortune 500 companies advertising the most innocuous of products.

This is a different country than it was even in my childhood. I can no longer watch a football game with my child. My 5 year old boy LOVES football but I have had to cover his eyes many times throughout the Super Bowl. It's disgusting and offensive.

The NFL is run like a typical left winged organization. They dish out fines and penalties when players celebrate a first down, touchdown or a sack - because it's a "bad example for the children". They could put stipulations on the networks - protecting their product (the game itself) with decency requirements - but these hypocrites don't CARE. Their games have so much explicit sex and violence permeating them that it is an embarrassment watching them with family around. But GOD FORBID any player get excited and do a DANCE in the end zone! During the Super Bowl, even Doritos aired a sexually explicit commercial as they demonstrated how the chips are so crunchy, a young man bit into one in public causing a supermodel’s clothing to fly off as she stood there in her lingerie. That’s just a small sample. It was also laced with violence and murder. CBS Criminal minds commercial showed a family of murderers with the line "the family that slays together stays together". That’s great NFL & CBS. I remember the good old days when I was a child and could watch an NFL football game with my family - without being violated.

The same is true even with the Fox News Network. Morning, noon and night, I cannot watch it with my son around because every commercial break is about “4 hour long errections”, about a Vermont Teddy Bear full of double entendre like how the women “can’t believe it’s so big” and telling us “guys” that “it’s a sure thing”, or a Pajama-Gram that is the gift “guaranteed to get a women to take her clothes off”. There used to be a day when things like these were considered private. There was a day when major companies had respect and decency toward consumers and their families.

We point the finger at Wall Street but the immorality can be found in every aspect of our lives. Our sanctimonious legislators hold hearings grilling athletes asking them why so many of these professionals cut corners by taking steroids. They are just a high profile sample of our “new morality”. Nobody is talking about the enormous percentage of college students who when polled, admit that they cheat on tests to get ahead. Immorality is an epidemic throughout our nation. These are signs of corruption. These are signs of pending destruction. These are the fruits of liberalism. The alarms are sounding. Does anyone CARE? Immorality has fostered our selfishness hedonism. The Darwinistic morality has caused us to abandon our commitments, our families the things essential to a free nation and self government. Government wants to fill the void. Government -IS- filling the void – with tyranny. Like the heroin dealer they want to give you your first fixes for free. They tell you its ok. They are pretending to be your friend – until they own you.

The tyrants want to raise your children like Fidel Castro is raising Elian Gonzalez. Just remember: “the hand that rocks the cradle is the hand that rules the world " said- William Ross Wallace.

In life there are peaks and there are valleys. Some believe that our nation is now in the valley of the shadow of death - and for good reason. There has not been a more propitious time in the past 20 years to clean the bacteria of liberalism from the GOP house. We have got to get it all out - now. The coming Republican revolution is going to make 1994 pale in comparison. Those who oppose our fundamental principles must get out of the way. The message to them is ASYLUM - NOT LEADERSHIP.

the
Jul 18, 2004

by Cowcaster

quote:

That’s great NFL & CBS. I remember the good old days when I was a child and could watch an NFL football game with my family - without being violated.

Yes, back in the good old days where I wasn't RAPED in the rear end LITERALLY while sitting down to watch a football game.

13Pandora13
Nov 5, 2008

I've got tiiits that swingle dangle dingle

Wait...is this implying that the Great Depression was after/caused by the New Deal :psyduck:?

tek79
Jun 16, 2008

EnsGDT posted:

The NFL is run like a typical left winged organization...

Dorito's girl eats a chip and gives a sexy-chick wink to the camera --> Man covers boy's eyes, for such a wholesome child shall see no evil --> Man ponders how such a thing could be shown in God's America (where has our innocence gone?). He weeps... --> Comes to the conclusion that this must be the work of the devil! --> The devil! He thinks, only manifests himself in this world in the form of liberalism! --> LIBERALS!!!!! ---> Proceeds to write diatribe of everything he see's as wrong in the world and links it all to hippies ---> Forwards it to everyone he knows ---> And America has been saved, yet again, by one man who "gets it".

It's also hilarious that he's railing against the free market for being, the free market (decency requirements and all.)

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
but i'm dummy thicc
He has a point about end-zone dances though. As if that's more offensive to the spirit of sportsmanship than a myriad of things wrong with modern sports.

Pththya-lyi
Nov 8, 2009

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020
I actually agreed with him in the beginning - our bureaucracy is really bloated - but then he started in on the Communist plot to sap and impurify our precious bodily fluids and I ... I just ... :psyduck:

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Black Magic Extraordinaire

13Pandora13 posted:

Wait...is this implying that the Great Depression was after/caused by the New Deal :psyduck:?

Naw. It's still mostly wrong but what hes saying is federal spending DID put an end to the great depression but caused problems down the road with expensive programs and people are expecting lightning to strike twice with this by adding more "bloated" programs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JerkyBunion
Jun 22, 2002

Got a couple good ones guys. Now we can stop talking about who got spit on when.

quote:

THIS IS HOW YOU FIX CONGRESS!!!!!

I am sending this to virtually everybody on my e-mail list and that includes conservatives, liberals, and everybody in between. Even though we disagree on a number of issues, I count all of you as friends. My friend and neighbor wants to promote a "Congressional Reform Act of 2010". It would contain eight provisions, all of which would probably be strongly endorsed by those who drafted the Constitution and the Bill of Rights..

I know many of you will say, "this is impossible". Let me remind you, Congress has the lowest approval of any entity in Government, now is the time when Americans will join together to reform Congress - the entity that represents us.

We need to get a Senator to introduce this bill in the US Senate and a Representative to introduce a similar bill in the US House. These people will become American heros

Thanks,

A Fellow American

Congressional Reform Act of 2010

1. Term Limits: 12 years only, one of the possible options below.

A. Two Six year Senate terms
B. Six Two year House terms
C. One Six year Senate term and three Two Year House terms

Serving in Congress is an honor, not a career. The Founding Fathers envisioned citizen legislators, serve your term(s), then go home and back to work.

2. No Tenure / No Pension:

A congressman collects a salary while in office and receives no pay when they are out of office.

Serving in Congress is an honor, not a career. The Founding Fathers envisioned citizen legislators, serve your term(s), then go home and back to work.

3. Congress (past, present & future) participates in Social Security:

All funds in the Congressional retirement fund moves to the Social Security system immediately. All future funds flow into the Social Security system, Congress participates with the American people.

Serving in Congress is an honor, not a career. The Founding Fathers envisioned citizen legislators, server your term(s), then go home and back to work.

4. Congress can purchase their own retirement plan just as all Americans.

5. Congress will no longer vote themselves a pay raise. Congressional pay will rise by the lower of CPI or 3%.

Serving in Congress is an honor, not a career. The Founding Fathers envisioned citizen legislators, serve your term(s), then go home and back to work..

6. Congress loses their current health care system and participates in the same health care system as the American people.

7. Congress must equally abide in all laws they impose on the American people.

8. All contracts with past and present congressmen are void effective 1/1/11.

The American people did not make this contract with congressmen, congressmen made all these contracts for themselves.

Serving in Congress is an honor, not a career. The Founding Fathers envisioned citizen legislators, serve your term(s), then go home and back to work..

If you agree with the above, pass it on to all in your address list. If not, just delete.

I especially like this: "if not, just delete." Please don't email me back. It may interfere with my world view as I have it now and I'm trying to live in an echo chamber.

quote:

This is chilling

In
1952 President
Truman established one day a year as a

"National
Day of
Prayer."

In 1988,
President Reagan designated the
first Thursday in May of each year as the National Day of
Prayer.

In June 2007,
(then) Presidential
candidate Barack Obama declared that the
USA
was no longer a
Christian nation.

This year
President Obama, canceled the
21st annual National Day of Prayer ceremony at the White
House under the rouse
of "not wanting to offend anyone"

On September 25,
2009 from 4 am until 7
pm, a National Day of Prayer for the Muslim religion was
held on Capitol Hill,
beside the White House. There were over 50,000 Muslims that
day in DC.

I guess it
doesn't matter if "Christians"
are offended by this event -
we obviously
don't count as "anyone"
anymore.

The direction
this country is headed
should strike fear in the heart of every Christian.
Especially knowing that the
Muslim religion believes that if Christians cannot be
converted they should be
annihilated

This is not a
rumor - Go to the website
to confirm this info:
( http://www.islamoncapitolhill.com/ )

Pay particular
attention to the very
bottom of the page:
"OUR TIME HAS