Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.

Jharkov posted:

I got it from http://www.wheelingcyclesupply.com
Great service from that place.

They really clean up the tail on the bike. especially when you get their LED indicators too.

That's a great site, they're gonna suck some money out of my wallet. :sigh:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Z3n posted:

I got my Edge there, also, but drat if it isn't hard to actually find anything on there.

FlerpNerpin
Apr 17, 2006

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g40XsxAxkD0

Shanky
Jan 22, 2002

Videos like that make me wish I was buying a motard instead of a house.

pr0zac
Jan 18, 2004

~*lukecagefan69*~

Pillbug

Jharkov posted:

The bike is finally complete!

2000 DRZ400E with a heavy off-road background as you can see on the engine & frame :P

RM250 Front end, revalved & sprung for the DRZ.
Vapour computer
Stainless steel front brake line
Beringer 4 piston caliper & 310MM disc.
Warp 9 Supermoto wheelset with Bridgestone tyres
Ohlins rear shock, extended travel to E specification & revalved/sprung.
Acerbis black plastics
Trailtech X-2 Halogen headlight
Supermoto front fender
Smoke lens Edge tail light & LED indicators
Renthal fatbars
15/40 gearing, I switch to 13/44 for my off-road wheelset.

It just feels amazing with this suspension, even on the streets. Can't wait to try it off-road.

That thing is ugly as hell, ie perfect. I love it.

Where'd you pick up the suspension pieces, and did you do the revalving/respringing yourself? Cost? Trying to decide if I want to divert my savings deposits for a couple months...

Z3n posted:

They are awesome guys. After UPS hosed up and lost my order they totally helped me out and mailed the replacement with 2 day shipping and a free tshirt.

Shanky posted:

Videos like that make me wish I was buying a motard instead of a house.

You know if your wife ever leaves you she probably won't try and take a biek and it'll be a lot easier to pickup the ladies with a motorcycle...

pr0zac fucked around with this message at 23:10 on Mar 23, 2010

Jharkov
Feb 26, 2008

by Ozma

pr0zac posted:

That thing is ugly as hell, ie perfect. I love it.

Where'd you pick up the suspension pieces, and did you do the revalving/respringing yourself? Cost? Trying to decide if I want to divert my savings deposits for a couple months...

I got the front end off ebay for $250 US.
Then i got it revalved and sprung by a local place in Sydney, they do the suspension for race teams of the Australian safari.
Cost about $800 US for suspension work.
You really feel the different with USD forks for Supermoto.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.

Jharkov posted:

I got the front end off ebay for $250 US.
Then i got it revalved and sprung by a local place in Sydney, they do the suspension for race teams of the Australian safari.
Cost about $800 US for suspension work.
You really feel the different with USD forks for Supermoto.

Do you happen to know what year forks are compatible? I recall you saying that the 05 RM (z?) 250 triples are the best with the most offset, but what forks can you put in there?

Jharkov
Feb 26, 2008

by Ozma

Z3n posted:

Do you happen to know what year forks are compatible? I recall you saying that the 05 RM (z?) 250 triples are the best with the most offset, but what forks can you put in there?

All the RM250 forks fit, the RMZs have different axle sizes and caliper mounts i believe.
I cant find the link right now, but there is a thread on the DRZ400 Thumpertalk forum that lists all the offset degrees of each year triple clamp that fits, the 2005 was the best offset to closely match the DRZs geometry.
Thats where i got all my info.

Dubs
Mar 6, 2007

Stroll Own Zone.
Disregard Stroll outside zone.
Absolutly everything under the loving sun you have ever thought of or will ever think about concerning a drz is on thumpertalk Z3n, and normally not hard to find.

Unfortunity the average IQ of most posters is about 35.

Kenny Rogers
Sep 7, 2007

Chapter One:
When I first saw Sparky, he reminded me of my favorite comb. He was missing a lot of teeth.

Dubs posted:

Ooh, that's either bad timing for a late-night mis-spell, or that's intentionally hillarious.

Dubs
Mar 6, 2007

Stroll Own Zone.
Of course that's your contention. You're a first-year grad student; you just got finished reading some Marxian historian, Pete Garrison probably. You're gonna be convinced of that 'till next month when you get to James Lemon. Then you're going to be talking about how the economies of Virginia and Pennsylvania were entrepreneurial and capitalist way back in 1740. That's gonna last until next year; you're gonna be in here regurgitating Gordon Wood, talkin' about, you know, the pre-revolutionary utopia and the capital-forming effects of military mobilization.

Kenny Rogers
Sep 7, 2007

Chapter One:
When I first saw Sparky, he reminded me of my favorite comb. He was missing a lot of teeth.

Dubs posted:

Of course that's your contention. You're a first-year grad student; you just got finished reading some Marxian historian, Pete Garrison probably. You're gonna be convinced of that 'till next month when you get to James Lemon. Then you're going to be talking about how the economies of Virginia and Pennsylvania were entrepreneurial and capitalist way back in 1740. That's gonna last until next year; you're gonna be in here regurgitating Gordon Wood, talkin' about, you know, the pre-revolutionary utopia and the capital-forming effects of military mobilization.
OK, I'm gonna go with intentionally hilarious at this point. :D

Aargh
Sep 8, 2004

Dubs posted:

What'd'ya do? Copy this straight from Vice Magazine?

Dubs
Mar 6, 2007

Stroll Own Zone.

Jabs posted:

OK, I'm gonna go with intentionally hilarious at this point. :D

Nah. I can't spell or type, and the spell check isn't working for some reason. I was running out the door if i can use that excuse?

Aargh posted:

What'd'ya do? Copy this straight from Vice Magazine?

"Wood drastically underestimates the impact of social distinctions predicated upon wealth, especially inherited wealth"? You got that from Vickers' "Work in Essex County," page 98, right? Yeah, I read that too. Were you gonna plagiarize the whole thing for us? Do you have any thoughts of your own on this matter? Or do you, is that your thing, you come into a bar, read some obscure passage and then pretend - you pawn it off as your own, as your own idea just to impress some girls, embarrass my friend?

Whitesnake_2!
Oct 6, 2008

by T. Finn

CSi-NA-EJ7 posted:

Whats the easiest way to get the bike on a stand?

Lifting it sucks, especially by yourself and having no previous dirt bike history either doesn't help either. Was hoping that having it on the stand would ease my roommates worries or hitting one of the bark busters while she was parking in the garage but not the whole bike is no where near the wall anymore.

One hand under the side of the rear fender, other hand on the grip. Bend knees like you're doing a 1/4 squat and place hip against bike in the airbox area. Pull rear fender towards your body to tilt bike on your hip. Lift with legs. Pivot bike on front tire onto stand.

Practice.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

Jharkov posted:

All the RM250 forks fit, the RMZs have different axle sizes and caliper mounts i believe.
I cant find the link right now, but there is a thread on the DRZ400 Thumpertalk forum that lists all the offset degrees of each year triple clamp that fits, the 2005 was the best offset to closely match the DRZs geometry.
Thats where i got all my info.

Alright, I'll go digging. I checked last time but could only find scattered info.

Dubs posted:

Absolutly everything under the loving sun you have ever thought of or will ever think about concerning a drz is on thumpertalk Z3n, and normally not hard to find.

That's what I thought, but their search engine seems to be questionable i use all the wrong search terms and it absolutely enrages me that google searches go to their archive site without an easy way of getting back to the main site. Petty, I know, but hugely irritating.

And yeah, I stopped reading one thread when someone suggested that we just flip our right side up forks upside down to make inverted forks. :downs:

Edit: Found it by searching RM250 offset triple...the old natethegreat post, thanks buddy, where ever you are....

Z3n fucked around with this message at 17:00 on Mar 24, 2010

Armacham
Mar 3, 2007

Then brothers in war, to the skirmish must we hence! Shall we hence?

Dubs posted:

Nah. I can't spell or type, and the spell check isn't working for some reason. I was running out the door if i can use that excuse?

"Wood drastically underestimates the impact of social distinctions predicated upon wealth, especially inherited wealth"? You got that from Vickers' "Work in Essex County," page 98, right? Yeah, I read that too. Were you gonna plagiarize the whole thing for us? Do you have any thoughts of your own on this matter? Or do you, is that your thing, you come into a bar, read some obscure passage and then pretend - you pawn it off as your own, as your own idea just to impress some girls, embarrass my friend?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mVCyUwYJ-Xs

FlerpNerpin
Apr 17, 2006

Getting noisy in here. Better turn on the entertainment system.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AcCdA0PqWuM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fJ2Z0AwjQaU

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zc6i7XEi4DE

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xMQMsfT2K8I

Bunway Airlines
Jan 12, 2008

Raptor Face

Jharkov posted:

The bike is finally complete!

2000 DRZ400E with a heavy off-road background as you can see on the engine & frame :P

RM250 Front end, revalved & sprung for the DRZ.
Vapour computer
Stainless steel front brake line
Beringer 4 piston caliper & 310MM disc.
Warp 9 Supermoto wheelset with Bridgestone tyres
Ohlins rear shock, extended travel to E specification & revalved/sprung.
Acerbis black plastics
Trailtech X-2 Halogen headlight
Supermoto front fender
Smoke lens Edge tail light & LED indicators
Renthal fatbars
15/40 gearing, I switch to 13/44 for my off-road wheelset.

It just feels amazing with this suspension, even on the streets. Can't wait to try it off-road.

This thing is beautiful...now I'm mad because your supermoto is better looking than mine :colbert: Perhaps I will have to spiff mine up so that it's pretty again.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

These guys are loving flying. Just...insane.

Zool
Mar 21, 2005

The motard rap
for all my riders
at the track
Dirt hardpacked
corner workers better
step back

Z3n posted:

These guys are loving flying. Just...insane.

Yeah but did you see these? Holy poo poo, these guys aren't really very fast!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lhXm1J_xnv8

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pn9b0JxfwyM

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

Zool posted:

Yeah but did you see these? Holy poo poo, these guys aren't really very fast!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lhXm1J_xnv8

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pn9b0JxfwyM

I did see those.

I'd talk poo poo about how you guys get rocked by everyone out there but you look like you're having so much fun that I just can't. :3:

Gnaghi
Jan 25, 2008

Is this a good first bike?

Is...is that thing stretched?

Zool
Mar 21, 2005

The motard rap
for all my riders
at the track
Dirt hardpacked
corner workers better
step back

Gnaghi posted:

Is...is that thing stretched?

It does look a bit long, it is a 660 though.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

I was walking home from the Metro last night and saw a guy riding an SMC of some displacement (didn't get a good look) stopped at a light. I was disappointed when he took off with both wheels on the ground.

FlerpNerpin
Apr 17, 2006

Endless Mike posted:

I was walking home from the Metro last night and saw a guy riding an SMC of some displacement (didn't get a good look) stopped at a light. I was disappointed when he took off with both wheels on the ground.

He probably forgot to downshift from 3rd gear

mybrownianmotion
Jan 8, 2005
Take interval to the left......
So, I bought this tarded out XR650R off of ThumperTalk user kan3, He had it set up pretty nice. I am thinking of getting a scotts steering stabilizer for it, what do you gents think, good idea or no? I also have some dirt wheels and plastics for it. (offroad is probably where the stabilizer would come in handy)

edit: I also had a chance to dyno run it, and figured I would post the dyno for those who are interested.

Double edit: v v I have ridden it, and on the road it is fine, offroad is what I am looking at getting a stabilizer for.

mybrownianmotion fucked around with this message at 07:16 on Mar 27, 2010

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I'd ride it first and see...if you're not getting headshake while riding onroad, I wouldn't be concerned about it. Offroad, I have no idea.

Honestly, even if you are getting headshake on road, unless you're riding some really rough roads, you shouldn't need a damper either...that points to a setup issue.

Z3n fucked around with this message at 06:57 on Mar 27, 2010

Jharkov
Feb 26, 2008

by Ozma
Nice bike. I had a Supermoto XR650R, wish i still had it.
You wont need a damper on an XR650R.
they are the most stable dirt bike ive ever ridden.
Proof of that, i had her pinned for an hour up to 190KMH indicated and it was rock solid.
They were built to stand up to those speeds in the Baja 1000, sand as deep as your knee. I think you will be fine.
I also took it into the sand dunes and it was fine.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

Jharkov posted:

Proof of that, i had her pinned for an hour up to 190KMH indicated and it was rock solid.

The idea of a thump doing over 160 is somehow :psyduck:

What's the difference between the L and the R, anyway?

Jharkov
Feb 26, 2008

by Ozma

Phy posted:

The idea of a thump doing over 160 is somehow :psyduck:

What's the difference between the L and the R, anyway?

The bike was surprisingly comfortable at 190. It sure surprised me. I was trying to keep up with a KTM 950 adventure and his pillion, they took off from our group of dirt bikes. I managed to catch up, and overtake him.
And while most thumpers would vibrate their nuts off when you have them pinned, the XR was smooth, and remained very calm. My DRZ feels like its screaming when i wring it out, the XR just seems content.

The R is much more refined. it was raced in Baja for years, and won for years.
Watercooled, better suspension, much lighter, alloy frame, powerful motor.
Just a gem. if they offered electric start i would still have it. The hills i ride are too steep for a kick-only big thumper. one stack and im knackered.

check this out:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7u3IaRRwq_E

King of all Machines Operate
Sep 23, 2005
uterus puncher ):
Can someone answer this for me? What does it mean when you guys use speed bumps as wheelie indicators? Do you wheelie when your front wheel hits the bump? What's the point? Doesn't your rear wheel then go over the bump while you're mid-wheelie and make you bounce around?

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

If you stay on the throttle hard enough when the rear goes over, you'll just keep the wheelie up. And probably catch a little air.

Jharkov
Feb 26, 2008

by Ozma
This is my dream setup. Saving my pennies.

KTM 690R

with these wheels

62HP with EFI that grants 55MPG economy, at 138KG of weight.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe
Get an asbestos panel for your pants, that exhaust runs hot

FlerpNerpin
Apr 17, 2006

Jharkov posted:

This is my dream setup. Saving my pennies.

KTM 690R

with these wheels

62HP with EFI that grants 55MPG economy, at 138KG of weight.

Click here for the full 1200x1600 image.

Yeah, it's not a bad way to go. That's for sure.

CSi-NA-EJ7
Feb 21, 2007
I jumped off a landing dock today, bike took it really well, I didn't. I need to not let my feet slip off the pegs next time. Then I did lots of wheelies and stoppies. I love this bike :rock:

Kenny Rogers
Sep 7, 2007

Chapter One:
A loading dock?

The more I hear about 'em, the more I want...

Someone locally did this - an '86 XL600SM Looks pretty :metal: to me.

2ndclasscitizen
Jan 2, 2009

by Y Kant Ozma Post
Motards with road bike alloy wheels always look so stupid IMO.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kenny Rogers
Sep 7, 2007

Chapter One:

2ndclasscitizen posted:

Motards with road bike alloy wheels always look so stupid IMO.
It beats "$1000 Stereo in $500 Car" syndrome.

• Locked thread