Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ass is my canvas
Jun 7, 2003

comin' down the street

poopinmymouth posted:

Photoshop had a feature that did this for a while, and now for the life of me I can't remember what it was called, and if it's still in the new versions. You pointed it to one layer, and told it to apply those color tones to the another.

I believe it's the Match Color command.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BeastOfExmoor
Aug 19, 2003

I will be gone, but not forever.
Is there a good file format between JPG and TIFF/PSD for saving photoshop files? I was working on some panoramic shots last night and a composite of 6 photos from my 8 megapixel 20d was over 600mb when saved as PSD. I didn't try TIFF, but I'd imagine it's similar. I don't mind flattening all the layers, but I'd rather not leave the 16 bit color space for the moment.

brad industry
May 22, 2004
Are there any real benefits to leaving those files in 16-bit? I doubt it. Going to 8-bit will cut the file size in half.

forest spirit
Apr 6, 2009

Frigate Hetman Sahaidachny
First to Fight Scuttle, First to Fall Sink

Bottom Liner posted:

What do you guys think of this processing? I'm having a hard time working in a second light other than backlighting but I like the effect here. The color treatment is the main thing I did in post, using adjustment layer curves.

I would probably spread them out a little bit, and clone away the pimples on the left guy.

BeastOfExmoor
Aug 19, 2003

brad industry posted:

Are there any real benefits to leaving those files in 16-bit? I doubt it. Going to 8-bit will cut the file size in half.

Well, I'm starting with RAW files and my understanding and experience is that when coming from RAW files you have a lot of headroom. I have been able to get a lot of detail back from overexposed areas before and since I'm just combining a bunch of files with the plan to come back and tweak later I'd like to keep my options somewhat open.

notlodar
Sep 11, 2001

Penpal posted:

I would probably spread them out a little bit, and clone away the pimples on the left guy.
Seconding the spacing suggestion. I was wondering what bothered me about that shot...

Tongsy
Aug 22, 2007
I came across this video of a demonstration of a new feature in Photoshop CS5 called "Content-Aware Fill". It's quite imrpessive.

http://www.pcpro.co.uk/blogs/2010/03/24/photoshop-cs5-demonstrates-its-stunning-new-party-piece/

brad industry
May 22, 2004
Holy loving poo poo that rules

Tongsy
Aug 22, 2007

brad industry posted:

Holy loving poo poo that rules

That was pretty much my reaction. One of the video it recommends at the end is equally ridiculous

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna
CS5 is just going to be wacky :psyduck:

HPL
Aug 28, 2002

Worst case scenario.
Oh man, I'd buy CS5 if it could do that with microphone stands.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

HPL posted:

Oh man, I'd buy CS5 if it could do that with microphone stands.

no kidding! In the desert example I kept saying "theres no way that's going to come out that great" then I was all "...goddamn." I would love to see it pushed and see how it works with things blocking a persons face for example.

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
I know you know how to do this.
Get up.

I laughed aloud after seeing that video, that's nuts.

HPL
Aug 28, 2002

Worst case scenario.

Bottom Liner posted:

no kidding! In the desert example I kept saying "theres no way that's going to come out that great" then I was all "...goddamn." I would love to see it pushed and see how it works with things blocking a persons face for example.

It's not that bad for me, it's usually like an awesome photo of a guitarist throwing down but there's a microphone stand to the side that's in front of the guitar fretboard or whatever, loving up the photo, like this:

or this:

Obscurum
Apr 23, 2007

The world is not beautiful. But that in itself lends it a kind of beauty.
Dang that really is impressive.:aaa:

Pompous Rhombus
Mar 11, 2007

Tongsy posted:

I came across this video of a demonstration of a new feature in Photoshop CS5 called "Content-Aware Fill". It's quite imrpessive.

http://www.pcpro.co.uk/blogs/2010/03/24/photoshop-cs5-demonstrates-its-stunning-new-party-piece/

Whoa, awesome.

BeastOfExmoor
Aug 19, 2003

Tongsy posted:

drat. I really didn't need to see that as I'm trying to stitch together a couple dozen handheld panoramas that I took last week. Just being able to create some more sky would be incredible.

edit: I figured this was 6-12 months away from being released, but it looks like this is out in less than a month?!?! Holy poo poo I just got excited. edit2: Maybe a blew my load too soon, looks like April is just the announcement date, but we'll probably have to wait for the product.

BeastOfExmoor fucked around with this message at 22:54 on Mar 24, 2010

spf3million
Sep 27, 2007

hit 'em with the rhythm
Goddammit I loving hate China and their blocking of youtube. I really need to throw down for an American VPN.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Tongsy posted:

:tviv:

When is CS5 coming out again?

ferdinand
May 14, 2003
lo stupire me

BeastOfExmoor posted:

Well, I'm starting with RAW files and my understanding and experience is that when coming from RAW files you have a lot of headroom. I have been able to get a lot of detail back from overexposed areas before and since I'm just combining a bunch of files with the plan to come back and tweak later I'd like to keep my options somewhat open.

The only thing I ever do in 16 bit is the initial sharpening, don't be afraid of 8 bit

Shmoogy
Mar 21, 2007

Tongsy posted:

That is absolutely unreal, I can't wait.

e: If this video was released on April 1st, I don't think anybody would believe it, it honestly seems like it does what it does a little bit too well.

Shmoogy fucked around with this message at 05:05 on Mar 25, 2010

baccaruda
Jan 10, 2008
We were all dorking out over CAF at work today. :swoon:

BeastOfExmoor
Aug 19, 2003

ferdinand posted:

The only thing I ever do in 16 bit is the initial sharpening, don't be afraid of 8 bit

To clarify, are you guys suggesting going 8bit and TIFF or 8 bit and JPEG?

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

I'm really starting to think that video about content aware fill is an elaborate troll. It's gone way too viral, earlier tonight "Content Aware Fill" was even a trending topic on twitter for the US. Also, someone pointed out on the last example with the panorama, theres a bird in the newly created area, where the hell did it come from?

It's also possible the internet has just made me way too skeptical :raise:

Bottom Liner fucked around with this message at 07:13 on Mar 25, 2010

Shmoogy
Mar 21, 2007
I'm not really sure, apparantly Gimp can do it already-- so I just downloaded gimp, and the plugin, and its loving trash from what I can see.

Then I stumbled upon:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6NcIJXTlugc

I think that's pretty much the technique it uses to create the content. It's very interesting, but I can't get the Gimp plugin to actually work well.

e: It's not horrible, but its not quite as magic as photoshops. Here is an example, I did it in like 30 seconds, and the legs take more work because it keeps pulling the blurred crowd people instead of grass for some reason, didn't feel like fussing with it.

Click here for the full 2000x1576 image.

Click here for the full 2000x1576 image.

You can see the shortcomings of it, it's pretty easy to see where people were cut out of it. Keep in mind, this is with like 5 minutes of playing around with it total, and I doubt this is the kind of photo that this sort of feature was designed for. It's not better than cloning/healing, but it's a hell of a lot faster (and in the right circumstances/someone that actually puts in effort) I can see it being legitimately useful.

ee: I didn't really use the lasso very carefully either so that's where some of the clips of players remaining came from. I might look for a more suitable picture tomorrow to play around with what it's actually capable of, but that requires effort.

Shmoogy fucked around with this message at 07:43 on Mar 25, 2010

AIIAZNSK8ER
Dec 8, 2008

Where is your 24-70?

Phat_Albert posted:

:tviv:

When is CS5 coming out again?

I got this from adobe yesterday. http://cs5launch.adobe.com/?PID=3387991 so the content aware fill is more than likely real.

squidflakes
Aug 27, 2009

SHORTBUS

Tongsy posted:

I came.

LuisX
Aug 4, 2004
Sword Chuck, yo!
That content fill thingy is probably going to be useful for portrait people like and limited space.

In other news: How can I replicate Lightroom's Heal tool in Photoshop? They behave, and function, slightly different. I like Lightroom's result better, so much that I would use the heal tool on Lightroom over Photoshop's Patch tool sometimes.

SynVisions
Jun 29, 2003

Shmoogy posted:

That is absolutely unreal, I can't wait.

e: If this video was released on April 1st, I don't think anybody would believe it, it honestly seems like it does what it does a little bit too well.

Every year a bunch of companies release their April fools jokes early so they aren't stuck with the 4/1 date stamp. By the time the following year comes around everyone seems to forget this. :)

GWBBQ
Jan 2, 2005

Tongsy posted:

I remember playing around with image retargeting when it was new and have the program demonstrated here
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qadw0BRKeMk
I expected that it would be developed for commercial use, but I never thought I'd see it this advanced, this soon.

Whitezombi
Apr 26, 2006

With these Zombie Eyes he rendered her powerless - With this Zombie Grip he made her perform his every desire!

SynVisions posted:

Every year a bunch of companies release their April fools jokes early so they aren't stuck with the 4/1 date stamp. By the time the following year comes around everyone seems to forget this. :)

If they are playing an April fools joke and the magic isn't real they can go gently caress themselves.

Genderfluid
Jun 18, 2009

my mom is a slut

Tongsy posted:

:holymoley:

SynVisions
Jun 29, 2003

Bottom Liner posted:

I'm really starting to think that video about content aware fill is an elaborate troll. It's gone way too viral, earlier tonight "Content Aware Fill" was even a trending topic on twitter for the US. Also, someone pointed out on the last example with the panorama, theres a bird in the newly created area, where the hell did it come from?

It's also possible the internet has just made me way too skeptical :raise:

I thought it was a bird at first too, but it's just the mouse cursor...

More examples:

http://www.facebook.com/video/video.php?v=540977923979

Underlying algorithm:

http://www.adobe.com/technology/graphics/patchmatch.html

I don't think it's an April fools joke anymore, they just cherry picked some pictures that would perfectly demonstrate the feature.

ass is my canvas
Jun 7, 2003

comin' down the street
The brush he used at the beginning performed miracles too for it's respective example back before it was released if I remember right. Not that I'm complaining. He does note that work will still need to be done to it just not as much. I have to use that phrase now when the status bar goes up CHEW CHEW CHEW.

MrBlandAverage
Jul 2, 2003

GNNAAAARRRR
It's real and not an April Fools' joke. Here's the paper: http://www.shaiavidan.org/papers/imretFinal.pdf

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

At this point it would be the worlds biggest PR blunder to have done that as an April fools joke. They've generated so much momentum and positive buzz over LR3 with this, that to turn around and go "lol psych" would be ridiculously damaging.

My pet theory is that it was originally an April fools joke and now they're like "oh poo poo people loved that and expect it" and theres just some dude standing over all the coders with a whip while they work 24/7 to make it a reality.

RangerScum
Apr 6, 2006

lol hey there buddy
That is some truly amazing tech. I wonder how many old photos I could go back to and salvage using the new software.

squidflakes
Aug 27, 2009

SHORTBUS
I wonder if this is going to make it even easier for every dipshit with a pirated copy to produce general public fooling images.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

squidflakes posted:

I wonder if this is going to make it even easier for every dipshit with a pirated copy to produce general public fooling images.

Of course it will.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

brad industry
May 22, 2004

RangerScum posted:

That is some truly amazing tech. I wonder how many old photos I could go back to and salvage using the new software.

Well it's not like you can't do that kind of stuff now, it just takes :effort:

• Locked thread