Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ensign_Ricky
Jan 4, 2008

Daddy Warlord
of the
Children of the Corn

or something...

CrumFUNist! posted:

City Limits wasn't boring, it had that cheesy '80s quality to it that made it watchable to an extent.

It also had the Kim Cattrall song. And caused this awesome story:

The MST3K Wiki posted:

“I was in my hotel room and was channel surfing. And what do I hear but my own name being sung by a small golden man. And it just went on like that. I yelled for my boyfriend to come in and see this. We were just in shock. A few minutes later, one of my lesser accomplishments came on: ‘City Limits.’ I called my publicity agent and asked him if Mystery Science Theater 3000 was a real show. He said yes. I called my florist and had an odd request: to send a bouquet of flowers to a Crow T. Robot.”

Did Trace ever get those flowers I wonder....

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bob Shadycharacter
Dec 19, 2005

Plavski posted:

The Coleman Francis films are hilarious because they're so awful. That's a different category than Castle of Fu-Manchu which is just so awful it's awful. Like an Uwe Boll film: too bad to be funny.

Seriously: the terrible Castro actor, the ridiculous jump in plot from Cuba mission to gold mine hunt, the frog legs guy getting thrown down the well, the 'water, thirsty' bit, the same guy getting executed multiple times, the strangling of tony cardoza in the hotel, the final line 'he ran all the way to hell, with a penny and a bent cigarette', the loving awesome title song, the miraculous arrival at the end of the dude who died, coleman drinking coffee and eating, 'i'm cherokee jack'... so many hysterical parts to that film, even without the riffing.

I'm sorry, but Red Zone Cuba is one of the worst choices to pick for movies that suck; it's a comedic masterpiece.

Compare it to the utter boredom of Fu-Manchu, or The Beatniks, or City Limits, or Teenage Caveman. Red Zone Cuba, hell all the Francis films, are infinitely better for a whole variety of reasons.

I'd certainly much rather sit through a Francis film than a Boll flick any day.

Well of course it was hilarious, but being hilarious doesn't mean it's good in any way. Just hilarious.

I have a sneaking suspicion that I wouldn't find the random jump cuts and Cherokee Jack as funny without the jokes though. Maybe just me.

Diabolik900
Mar 28, 2007

Sinfjotli posted:

I really prefer it when they actually rip into the movie for being awful rather than use the movie as a springboard to make jokes.

See, I completely disagree with that. That's one of the main reasons I never got as into Rifftrax as MST. The ones I've seen use too many "This movie is so bad I want to gouge my eyes out" type lines, which I just don't think are as funny.

Plavski
Feb 1, 2006

I could be a revolutionary
The conceit is why I think MST is better than Rifftrax. They are choosing to watch these lovely movies, rather than being forced to.

Even if it's obviously just a show, there's a subtle bit of trickery going on that makes you sympathise with Mike/Joel and the Bots. With Rifftrax, there's no sympathy for the riffers; after all, it's not like they're trapped in space being forced to watch it or anything.

It's why The Film Crew works better than Rifftrax too - there's a conceit.

ComposerGuy
Jul 28, 2007

Conspicuous Absinthe

Diabolik900 posted:

See, I completely disagree with that. That's one of the main reasons I never got as into Rifftrax as MST. The ones I've seen use too many "This movie is so bad I want to gouge my eyes out" type lines, which I just don't think are as funny.

Really? I don't notice a lot of those kinds of jokes.

Maybe I'm not watching the right riffs.

quote:

It's why The Film Crew works better than Rifftrax too

I'm not sure it would be possible for me to disagree with this statement more.

I tried The Film Crew a few times. Really wanted to like it...and it just left me flat.

Bob Shadycharacter
Dec 19, 2005
I just think of it as they can't get other jobs so they have to Riff bad movies to eat. :(

Plavski
Feb 1, 2006

ComposerGuy posted:

I tried The Film Crew a few times. Really wanted to like it...and it just left me flat.
I love Rifftrax, but I find TFC to be more like MST; more warmer. It seems to be fun to do, rather than grueling as most of the Rifftrax seem to be.

But maybe I'm just generally more interested in older movies than new ones. I'd much rather watch The Wild Women of Wongo than Transformers 2 for example.

These things are all so drat subjective. It's like Mike vs. Joel - it's all good :D

Bob Shadycharacter
Dec 19, 2005

Plavski posted:

I love Rifftrax, but I find TFC to be more like MST; more warmer. It seems to be fun to do, rather than grueling as most of the Rifftrax seem to be.

But maybe I'm just generally more interested in older movies than new ones. I'd much rather watch The Wild Women of Wongo than Transformers 2 for example.

These things are all so drat subjective. It's like Mike vs. Joel - it's all good :D

It's funny, I always thought the main difference between Mike and Joel was that Joel started the show because he has a certain fondness for bad movies. I think you can tell in the riffs. But Mike HATES those movies, and I find that far funnier. I don't hate Joel or anything but he's so laid back about it.

Sinfjotli
Dec 22, 2003

Lemon Curry?

Diabolik900 posted:

I may have worded that poorly, because I agree with you. It's really not funny when they make a joke where the punchline is literally "This movie is so bad that I would rather endure physical pain than watch it," but the best riffs are ones that are directly related to the badness of the movie: drawing attention to stupid lines or bizarre camera work, that sort of thing. To take an already quoted riff from New Moon as an example: "It doesn't make sense for me to love you" "the Twilight series summed up in nine words."

I meant I don't find it as funny when they use the movie as a springboard to make fun of something unrelated, like the Kelsey Grammer references whenever a car plows into something. Those sort of jokes work fine sometimes, but it seems like the weaker ones over-rely on them. They also tend to get recycled over and over. I'm almost positive there was a Kelsey Grammer reference in at least four Rifftrax in a row. I guess the best way to put it is that I find that riffs which are movie-specific and relate directly to what's going on work best, where more general jokes that can be made during any movie (and often are) aren't as good.

Plavski posted:

I haven't seen any of TFC but I absolutely agree with this. I understand why they end up doing lots of recent huge releases, but I really wish they would concentrate on older films which are more riffable. I especially wish they would do more cheesy 80s movies, there are a ton out there and all the ones they've done so far have been top notch.

Sinfjotli fucked around with this message at 23:50 on Mar 24, 2010

ComposerGuy
Jul 28, 2007

Conspicuous Absinthe

Plavski posted:

I think you're on to something with the "old bad movies vs. new bad movies" angle. I may like Rifftrax more because by and large I'm familiar with the films in question, and I derive a great deal of enjoyment out of that.

Revolvyerom
Nov 12, 2005

Hell yes, tell him we're plenty front right now.

Bob Shadycharacter posted:

I honestly don't really get the concept of "this movie is so bad I can't even watch it with the rifftrax"! I mean, none of these films are really as bad as half the stuff they did on MST3K so.
Did you enjoy the Star Wars Holiday Special? I hear the ads are amusing, but the show itself was so terrible I couldn't even make it to the second commercial break.

Plavski
Feb 1, 2006

Revolvyerom posted:

Did you enjoy the Star Wars Holiday Special? I hear the ads are amusing, but the show itself was so terrible I couldn't even make it to the second commercial break.
Does that mean you did or didn't Light the Sky on Fire?

Because if you haven't, you really should.

Also: Chewbacca's lifeless stare!

Bob Shadycharacter
Dec 19, 2005

Revolvyerom posted:

I have not seen it, surprisingly. I know there's a way to get ahold of it but I'm too lazy to figure it out, to be perfectly honest. At some point I will.

But I'm 100% positive I won't have any trouble sitting through it. I've certainly never had a problem getting through any episode of MST (I would estimate I've seen 98% of the episodes that exist not counting the KTMA season and season one) or any Rifftrax movie.

I'm actually surprised that I've never seen it before, unless I just don't remember. My whole family was seemingly obsessed with Star Wars for...uh, the eighties.

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light

I have not seen it, surprisingly. I know there's a way to get ahold of it but I'm too lazy to figure it out, to be perfectly honest. At some point I will.

But I'm 100% positive I won't have any trouble sitting through it. I've certainly never had a problem getting through any episode of MST (I would estimate I've seen 98% of the episodes that exist not counting the KTMA season and season one) or any Rifftrax movie.

I'm actually surprised that I've never seen it before, unless I just don't remember. My whole family was seemingly obsessed with Star Wars for...uh, the eighties.

You say that now, but you'll be trying to resurrect Coleman Francis and get him to write Red Zone Cuba 2 about a quarter of the way through.

Saint Sputnik
Apr 1, 2007

Tyrannosaurs in P-51 Volkswagens!
1950s b&w foreign Hamlet. That's the most boring movie on MST3k I've ever seen. I think I feel asleep while trying to watch it five times before finally succeeding.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QRem3BEOoXE

Plavski
Feb 1, 2006

Saint Sputnik posted:

1950s b&w foreign Hamlet. That's the most boring movie on MST3k I've ever seen. I think I feel asleep while trying to watch it five times before finally succeeding.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QRem3BEOoXE
Yeah, it's terrible... not even Ricardo Montalban could save it from being dull as hell.

Although it does have this line:
"To be, or not to be; that is the question."
"I'll take 'to be' for 50 please Alex."

I love season 10, but gently caress Hamlet. It's about the only really poo poo one in the last few seasons. Diabolik wasn't anything to write home about but it did have that awesome soundtrack.

And actually, I tracked the original of that film down as it has a commentary by the guy playing Diabolik. Quite a fun little commentary it is too as he talks about all the loving him and that blonde one did off-camera.

Bob Shadycharacter
Dec 19, 2005
I thought Hamlet was funny!

I never did re-watch Diabolik, true story. It's TOO SAD.

Wow, I was a HUGE MST3k fan a while back. I used to trade tapes with people from the internet and everything. Tapes, people.

Behonkiss
Feb 10, 2005
I came into this thread with 40 new replies guessing some big new riff had been announced. Bummer.

That said, I should really watch New Moon with the riff soon, though I still haven't finished watching the first Twilight (also riffed, of course).

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost
New Moon was funny, though the film is just godawful. Twilight was bad, but New Moon was so much worse.

I completely lost it during Twilight at Aha! I'm gay!

The complete sentence game in New Moon was fantastic as well.

Plavski
Feb 1, 2006

The movie or the links? Cos despite being trapped in liquid gold, he was still laughing at the end.

But the 'Move on, I have' line still cuts me up.

thedaian
Dec 11, 2005

Blistering idiots.

To be fair, it was only broadcast on TV once, in the 70s, then disappeared for about 20 years until tapes of it started showing up.

I have seen the holiday special, and all reports of it being poo poo are 100% true. That said, the rifftrax is pretty drat good, but there's still points in the rifftrax version that nothing is really going on.

Bob Shadycharacter
Dec 19, 2005

thedaian posted:

To be fair, it was only broadcast on TV once, in the 70s, then disappeared for about 20 years until tapes of it started showing up.

I have seen the holiday special, and all reports of it being poo poo are 100% true. That said, the rifftrax is pretty drat good, but there's still points in the rifftrax version that nothing is really going on.

I should really ask my brothers if they saw it when it first aired. They were a little older than me and in the exact age group where Star Wars hit them super hard. We had EVERY toy - there's a picture of them sitting under the Christmas tree and I swear to god, you can't see the floor and EVERY present is Star Wars related somehow. We had this little plastic film viewer thing that you'd hand crank to watch like, 20 frames of the movie. It was insanity. The only reason we got a VCR when they first became affordable (we rented a VCR for a few years before really committing to buying one!) was to watch Star Wars.

It's really hard to imagine my family missing it, unless we just didn't know it was on. Was it heavily advertised?

Plavski posted:

The movie or the links? Cos despite being trapped in liquid gold, he was still laughing at the end.

But the 'Move on, I have' line still cuts me up.

Oh, not the movie, just the whole show ending/they go back to earth thing. It wasn't even a sad ending, they were still together and still watchin' bad movies and stuff, but I was SO upset that the show was over. I know, it's lame.

I thought it was a really funny episode otherwise!

Sorry if I'm totally derailing the thread here. Has anyone else felt like the Rifftrax are coming out much slower lately? Or am I just really impatient?

Plavski
Feb 1, 2006

Sorry if I'm totally derailing the thread here. Has anyone else felt like the Rifftrax are coming out much slower lately? Or am I just really impatient?
They took a break for a while but Termie and New Moon came out pretty closely together so I think they're back in the groove so to speak.

Vicissitude
Jan 26, 2004

You ever do the chicken dance at a wake? That really bothers people.

mlmp08 posted:

I completely lost it during Twilight at Aha! I'm gay!

For me, it was the super-long drawn out "Lllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllladies" when Edward walks in the room for the first time. I always laugh at that.

Overwined
Sep 22, 2008

Wine can of their wits the wise beguile,
Make the sage frolic, and the serious smile.

Plavski posted:

They took a break for a while but Termie and New Moon came out pretty closely together so I think they're back in the groove so to speak.

Not to mention they were coming out at an absurd pace at one point. It seemed like before I could cue up Netflix with some lovely movie there was another rifftrack out.

debasuuuh
Jun 17, 2005

silly hats only

Vicissitude posted:

For me, it was the super-long drawn out "Lllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllladies" when Edward walks in the room for the first time. I always laugh at that.

I read this in my head in the exact voice he uses, and it still makes me belly laugh. Best part of that Rifftrax.

Bob Shadycharacter
Dec 19, 2005
I will never, ever stop laughing at:

"Look at all the rules they're breaking!"
"Wow."

Just the tone of voice and that stupid valley-girl sort of accent loving sets me off every time.

doctor 7
Oct 10, 2003

In the grim darkness of the future there is only Oakley.

As much as those quotable quotes are hilarious I have to say I found myself laughing equally hard whenever they'd just go into those worthless mumbling dialog segments.

jazz babies
Mar 7, 2007

I will never, ever stop laughing at:

"Look at all the rules they're breaking!"
"Wow."

Just the tone of voice and that stupid valley-girl sort of accent loving sets me off every time.

"Are you from the same town as Joaquin Phoenix?"

Diabolik900
Mar 28, 2007

ComposerGuy posted:

Maybe I have just watched the wrong riffs then. I've only watched a handful of them really. Jurassic Park and the Star Wars Holiday Special are my favorites of what I've seen.

The Holiday Special actually does have a lot of those lines, but at least it's so bad I can sort of believe it. The Holiday Special is up there (down there?) with any MST movie in terms of quality. As bad as something like The Phantom Menace is, I just can't buy the idea that the same people who sat through all the MST movies would find it that painful.

Sinfjotli posted:

I may have worded that poorly, because I agree with you. It's really not funny when they make a joke where the punchline is literally "This movie is so bad that I would rather endure physical pain than watch it," but the best riffs are ones that are directly related to the badness of the movie: drawing attention to stupid lines or bizarre camera work, that sort of thing. To take an already quoted riff from New Moon as an example: "It doesn't make sense for me to love you" "the Twilight series summed up in nine words."

I meant I don't find it as funny when they use the movie as a springboard to make fun of something unrelated, like the Kelsey Grammer references whenever a car plows into something. Those sort of jokes work fine sometimes, but it seems like the weaker ones over-rely on them. They also tend to get recycled over and over. I'm almost positive there was a Kelsey Grammer reference in at least four Rifftrax in a row. I guess the best way to put it is that I find that riffs which are movie-specific and relate directly to what's going on work best, where more general jokes that can be made during any movie (and often are) aren't as good.

Ah ok. I don't think I entirely agree with you, but I'm glad to see we're closer to the same opinion than I thought. I do think they tend to recycle too much material like that from what I've seen.

Despite my username, I don't think I've watched the entire movie portion of Diabolik yet in the 11 years since it aired.

I also can't believe it's been over a decade. Yikes.

jazz babies
Mar 7, 2007

New Moon is killing me. This riff is hilarious.

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames

I honestly don't really get the concept of "this movie is so bad I can't even watch it with the rifftrax"! I mean, none of these films are really as bad as half the stuff they did on MST3K so.

New Moon and Transformers 2 beg to differ with you.

Go ahead. Name an MST3K movie worse than "Emo girl cries for 2 hours" and "Shia Laboeuf stutters while two dogs hump: THE MOVIE".

And just to take the wind out of your sails, yes, New Moon and Dogs Humping: Revenge of the Action FIgures are worse than Manos.

e: and the best Rifftrax bits are when they're all doing the Minnesota accent having conversations about muskie fishing and stuff.

"Oh I'd love to have a boat like that for muskie season!"
"Oh yeah."
"You betcha."
"What's that, an 18 footer?"
"20"
"Oh that's nice."
"Oh yeah."
"You betcha."

The Anime Liker fucked around with this message at 04:35 on Mar 25, 2010

Contra Calculus
Nov 6, 2009

Gravy Boat 2k

Tony Danza Claus posted:

New Moon and Transformers 2 beg to differ with you.

Go ahead. Name an MST3K movie worse than "Emo girl cries for 2 hours" and "Shia Laboeuf stutters while two dogs hump: THE MOVIE".

And just to take the wind out of your sails, yes, New Moon and Dogs Humping: Revenge of the Action FIgures are worse than Manos.

I was watching a review somewhere of Transformers 2 where they played a game of which movie the reviewers would rather see than Transformers 2.

It lost to Manos: Hands of Fate, Batman and Robin, Eragon, etc.
Yeah I saw that movie in theaters and I don't think I could ever bring myself to see it again even with the MST3K crew. (Oddly enough, during the middle of the movie I was actually praying for the spirit of Mike Nelson and the bots to help me get through this horrible experience).

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames

Contra Calculus posted:

I was watching a review somewhere of Transformers 2 where they played a game of which movie the reviewers would rather see than Transformers 2.

It lost to Manos: Hands of Fate, Batman and Robin, Eragon, etc.
Yeah I saw that movie in theaters and I don't think I could ever bring myself to see it again even with the MST3K crew. (Oddly enough, during the middle of the movie I was actually praying for the spirit of Mike Nelson and the bots to help me get through this horrible experience).

Right around the scene where the conspiracy theorist kid started talking while mom was WHACKILY on pot I made a conscious effort to resist the urge to take up heroin and die in a gutter.

It really seemed like a perfectly reasonable alternative to finishing that movie. Then Stepbot and Fetchitron Al Jolsoned their way onto the screen and I started checking my facebook and paying bills with my iPhone in the theater.

Revolvyerom
Nov 12, 2005

Tony Danza Claus posted:

with my iPhone in the theater.
At that point, just leave. Don't be "that guy" in the theater, eh?

Pompous Rhombus
Mar 11, 2007
I liked the Diabolik episode :colbert:

eeboweebo
Nov 17, 2005

Behold Duke Nukem
And die a painful death
Hail to the King, baby.
I wish they'd get advance copies of moves about to be released in theaters, so if I am watching a movie that was terrible, all I'd have to do is download the riff to my phone and listen to it as I'm watching the movie. I know it would have made Transformers 2 and Legion better at the very least.

Vicissitude
Jan 26, 2004

You ever do the chicken dance at a wake? That really bothers people.

jazz babies posted:

"Are you from the same town as Joaquin Phoenix?"

Not "same town". The town of Joaquin Phoenix, Arizona. Which makes it a lot more funny.

From Earth
Oct 21, 2005

Sinfjotli posted:

They also tend to get recycled over and over. I'm almost positive there was a Kelsey Grammer reference in at least four Rifftrax in a row.

What's worse, there's a Schnappi reference in almost every RiffTrax, even the most recent ones. It's bad enough to keep making jokes about an internet meme five years after everyone else has stopped caring about it, but the Schnappi jokes sound incredibly forced every single time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Revolvyerom
Nov 12, 2005

"Line..." at this point completely breaks my enjoyment of a riff. They use it in about a third of their riffs now, and it's jarring to hear the same joke used repeatedly. Was funny the first few times.

• Locked thread