Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Brock Landers
Jul 28, 2004

You're a donkey. I like that.

Deathlove posted:

Woot has refurbed S3s up for $170 today, so if you're on an S2 or lurking with nothing and don't think the Premiere is all that, this is an option.

I saw that and was tempted for a second TV, but it's the original S3 that requires 2 CableCARDS (even M-cards) to enable 2 tuners.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Brock Landers posted:

I saw that and was tempted for a second TV, but it's the original S3 that requires 2 CableCARDS (even M-cards) to enable 2 tuners.

Yeah, at $4 /month for the additional cablecard, the refurb S3 would cost more than just buying a new Premiere after only 2 1/2 years.

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Bury my body down by the highwayside, so that my old evil spirit can get a Greyhound bus and ride

bull3964 posted:

Yeah, at $4 /month for the additional cablecard, the refurb S3 would cost more than just buying a new Premiere after only 2 1/2 years.

Well, some cablecos have better cablecard rates... I pay nothing for the first card and a buck for the second (maybe it's a buck fifty?)

Golbez
Oct 9, 2002

1 2 3!
If you want to take a shot at me get in line, line
1 2 3!
Baby, I've had all my shots and I'm fine
Didn't one of the Series 3 versions have a display on the front that has the names of the shows being recorded? I haven't seen that mentioned for the Series 4, and I know it doesn't exist on the HD...

Tivac
Feb 18, 2003

No matter how things may seem to change, never forget who you are

Golbez posted:

Didn't one of the Series 3 versions have a display on the front that has the names of the shows being recorded? I haven't seen that mentioned for the Series 4, and I know it doesn't exist on the HD...

Yeah the original S3 (the one on woot right now) has an OLED screen on it. Premiere & HDs don't.

Deathlove
Feb 20, 2003

Pillbug

Golbez posted:

There's only one form of the Series 3, and that's it. It also has a clock!

Golbez
Oct 9, 2002

1 2 3!
1 2 3!
Why did they take that away? :( I'd love that. The clock alone would be useful.

Deathlove
Feb 20, 2003

Pillbug

Golbez posted:

Why did they take that away? :( I'd love that. The clock alone would be useful.

:tenbux:. Premium product and all.

TiVo needs to get on the ball and answer my questions about whether the $200 discount on lifetimes will apply past preorders and whether the HDD will be user-swappable.

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

given how little they've changed everything else I'd imagine that drive swapping is the same as it's always been, not officially supported but fairly easy

gret
Dec 12, 2005

goggle-eyed freak

Deathlove posted:

Oh, you can get one; whether TiVo will be around in a year to pay your fees to, completely different!

Chances are pretty good they will still be around since the Court of Appeals has just upheld their patent infringement victory against Echostar last week.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

gret posted:

Chances are pretty good they will still be around since the Court of Appeals has just upheld their patent infringement victory against Echostar last week.

It's also being appealed again. It's going to be a long time until they see any of that money they are seeking.

kri kri
Jul 18, 2007

I have a Windows Home Server box and a series 3 - whats the best way to share videos to it?

chemosh6969
Jul 3, 2004

code:
cat /dev/null > /etc/professionalism

I am in fact a massive asswagon.
Do not let me touch computer.

kri kri posted:

I have a Windows Home Server box and a series 3 - whats the best way to share videos to it?

pyTivo

chemosh6969
Jul 3, 2004

code:

Guess I'm upgrading my Series 2 with the monthly plan to the new one(cheaper model) with lifetime. I didn't ask about it but my wife asked about getting a lifetime sub the same day I got the email about the discount to lifetime.

Weird Uncle Dave
Sep 2, 2003

I could do this all day.

Buglord
The only offer available to me is $100 off a new Premiere XL (or $60 off the non-XL), but lifetime service still is $400. That money could buy a pretty nice Windows DIY DVR...

Is this a "generic" offer/email you can share, or tied to your account? $200 lifetime makes the whole thing a lot more enticing.

chemosh6969
Jul 3, 2004

code:

Weird Uncle Dave posted:

The only offer available to me is $100 off a new Premiere XL (or $60 off the non-XL), but lifetime service still is $400. That money could buy a pretty nice Windows DIY DVR...

Is this a "generic" offer/email you can share, or tied to your account? $200 lifetime makes the whole thing a lot more enticing.

Tied to the tivo account.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Engadget has their review of the Premiere up. Apparently, it's even more disappointing in person.

http://www.engadget.com/2010/03/24/tivo-premiere-review/

quote:

It's been three years since the TiVo HD first arrived and just about a year and a half since TiVo first started beta testing this interface, and after using the Premiere for a day, here's what we want to know: what the hell has TiVo been doing all this time? The new UI is excellent, but it's only skin deep, lags like crazy, and accessing any deeper functionality requires a resolution switch and a fallback to the old interface.

TiVo says it's working to redo the entire interface over time, but for now the Premiere rather uncomfortably straddles two different worlds; the home screen might be futuristic and information-rich, but you still set Season Pass priorities using the same interface that debuted on the very first TiVo in 2001, and it still locks up the entire system while it resolves conflicts.

But TiVo's also historically been the only real alternative -- no other company has ever entered the mainstream DVR market with a great product at scale and at a competitive price, and that means TiVo's never had to really compete against anything except its own extremely popular products. That's a recipe for timid incremental change, which is exactly what the Premiere feels like -- TiVo says it's reinventing the DVR, but all it's really done from a consumer perspective is add some nice new (slow) menus to the TiVo HD. The problem is that moving at such a snail's pace has allowed the cable companies to catch up and consumers to move on; if cheap / free cableco DVRs were TiVo's greatest existential threat of the past decade, the combination of cheap / free / good cableco DVRs and the online-only content customer might be the fatal blow of this one. The Premiere is the DVR we wanted two years ago -- TiVo's challenge will be to make it the DVR we want two years from now.

Apparently the new UI is slow as hell and it's only in the 'high traffic' areas. Otherwise, you go back to the old interface. So, pretty much there's zero reason to buy one of these if you already own an HD. It's better off to wait until they actually DO something with this new platform.

bull3964 fucked around with this message at 03:49 on Mar 25, 2010

Deathlove
Feb 20, 2003

Pillbug

bull3964 posted:

Engadget has their review of the Premiere up. Apparently, it's even more disappointing in person.

I felt my heart break reading that. I love them so much, why do they want to hurt me. :(

chemosh6969
Jul 3, 2004

code:

chemosh6969 posted:

Tied to the tivo account.

It also looks like different Tivo sets may get different discounts.

bull3964 posted:

Apparently the new UI is slow as hell and it's only in the 'high traffic' areas. Otherwise, you go back to the old interface. So, pretty much there's zero reason to buy one of these if you already own an HD. It's better off to wait until they actually DO something with this new platform.

That sucks but on the other hand I'm using it to replace my Series 2 and not my Series 3.

edit: They do say there's a solution for the lag coming in the articl

quote:

TiVo says that enabling the second core in the future will speed everything up, since the backend is multithreaded and it'll be able to pull in all this data faster

chemosh6969 fucked around with this message at 17:16 on Mar 25, 2010

Deathlove
Feb 20, 2003

Pillbug

chemosh6969 posted:

edit: They do say there's a solution for the lag coming in the articl

Which is all well and good, but why isn't it enabled *now*? I mean, come on. Don't design a multicore-reliant OS, then ship with only one core enabled. That's just dumb.

Golbez
Oct 9, 2002

1 2 3!
1 2 3!

bull3964 posted:

Son of a bitch.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Yes, but I wouldn't even think of buying something on promises of what's going to be delivered in the future, especially when that promise is being made by Tivo.

I'm not entirely sure that enabling the 2nd core is the solution to what they are seeing. The UI lag seems to be from a lack of caching, something the Tivo says they did on purpose. The SoC they're using has hardware acceleration of flash, so the UI elements shouldn't even be hitting the CPU hard.

It just all feels very rough around the edges for a product that's been in development for so long.

The Gizmodo review is even less flattering.

http://gizmodo.com/5498459/tivo-premiere-review-wheres-the-razzle-dazzle?skyline=true&s=i

quote:

Every time you go from watching Live TV to the TiVo Central menu, the audio of the program you're watching cuts out for a few seconds. Even Comcast and DirecTV DVRs I've used could pull off this stunt without flinching.

Accessing Netflix, YouTube or Blockbuster still feels like I'm leaving my TiVo to do it. From TiVo Central, entering each of these services takes anywhere from 3 to 8 seconds, and the screen flashes to black in the interim. And not just the first time. mind you. Reloading Netflix doesn't mean it will be cached and pop right up. In fact, almost nothing gets cached on this machine as far as I could tell.

(It doesn't help that the skins of each web-based service appear to have been designed by completely different people who have vastly different views on organization and aesthetics. The Blockbuster menu looks straight from a TiVo Series 2.)

bull3964 fucked around with this message at 17:59 on Mar 25, 2010

chemosh6969
Jul 3, 2004

code:

Deathlove posted:

Which is all well and good, but why isn't it enabled *now*? I mean, come on. Don't design a multicore-reliant OS, then ship with only one core enabled. That's just dumb.

They said in the article that there were stability issues.

They also said the interface would also be upgraded as well. I could sit back and not believe them but they've been doing upgrades regularly.

I'll also add that I called it when I basically said they weren't going to do anything fancy, which they haven't. Lots of people built up their own hype and got disappointed, which is what usually what happens when they build it up like that.

I couldn't care less about people complaining some menus look like the old style. I just want it to record shows and stream stuff off my computer, which it does well for me. I didn't care for the search thing when they had it in beta. I just like to keep it simple.

That being said, if I wasn't upgrading a Series 2, I wouldn't replace my 3 with it. That'd just be stupid.

Off topic question: Is anyone using the latest version of Tivo Desktop and does it work fine? I remember a previous version upgrade that had problems, so I've been sitting back on 2.5

Does anyone have the Plus version?

chemosh6969 fucked around with this message at 20:56 on Mar 25, 2010

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Bury my body down by the highwayside, so that my old evil spirit can get a Greyhound bus and ride
I was thinking of getting one of these to replace my unit that has a history of randomly freezing, but now I don't even know if I'll bother with that, and I'm a pretty loyal tivo customer :(

chemosh6969
Jul 3, 2004

code:

Some more reviews

http://news.cnet.com/8301-17938_105-20001128-1.html

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2010/03/25/AR2010032500179.html

http://www.wired.com/reviews/product/pr_tivo_series4?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+wired%2Findex+(Wired%3A+Index+3+(Top+Stories+2))&utm_content=Google+Feedfetcher

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

chemosh6969 posted:

They said in the article that there were stability issues.

They also said the interface would also be upgraded as well. I could sit back and not believe them but they've been doing upgrades regularly.

I'll also add that I called it when I basically said they weren't going to do anything fancy, which they haven't. Lots of people built up their own hype and got disappointed, which is what usually what happens when they build it up like that.

I couldn't care less about people complaining some menus look like the old style. I just want it to record shows and stream stuff off my computer, which it does well for me. I didn't care for the search thing when they had it in beta. I just like to keep it simple.

That being said, if I wasn't upgrading a Series 2, I wouldn't replace my 3 with it. That'd just be stupid.

Off topic question: Is anyone using the latest version of Tivo Desktop and does it work fine? I remember a previous version upgrade that had problems, so I've been sitting back on 2.5

Does anyone have the Plus version?

You're a very special case in that you own a tivo (and thus get upgrade incentives) but don't already have an S3/HD. That does sweeten the proposition.

Looking at this from the outside, as someone who hasn't owned a tivo before, the only thing that's really changed since November is the price has jumped $50 and the box is a little slimmer.

Really, that's it. The new UI right now is too slow really to even be usable so I'm betting many people go back to the classic interface until they get things sorted out. So, it's more or less the exact same experience that's been around since the dawn of DVR time, only with a larger but still outdated 320gb drive.

It also wasn't us that hyped it up, it was Tivo by saying "the DVR was just the beginning." You don't do something like that and then basically push out a minor hardware refresh with a Beta UI that is only cosmetic while not actually adding any functionality.

They went about this all wrong. This hardware refresh should have come this time last year with the classic UI without much fanfare. Then they could give people the option of previewing the new UI as it was being developed. In the end, we may only still be in the same spot, but it wouldn't be anywhere near as damaging to their brand as this is going to be. They also could have beefed up a few of the other specs so that it doesn't look like they're cutting corners so badly. There should be a 500gb or 640gb drive instead of a 320gb. Wireless should be integrated (and I'm saying this as a person who actually has cat5 going to his entertainment center.) QWERTY remote should have come with the thing. All these little things add up to make the value proposition much better than the old model.

Hell, all I would have probably needed to make me seriously consider picking one up would have been keeping the $249 price and bumping the storage to 640gb. I'm not going to invest in something that requires a 4 year ROI when my MSO is going to be rolling 320gb DVRs with external storage this year that will allow me to keep OnDemand content.

What I can't get over is the thing is so much more laggy than my verizon DVR is. I think it would drive me crazy.

bull3964 fucked around with this message at 21:33 on Mar 25, 2010

Brock Landers
Jul 28, 2004

You're a donkey. I like that.

bull3964 posted:

What I can't get over is the thing is so much more laggy than my verizon DVR is. I think it would drive me crazy.

This is really the biggest problem I see. It's not like cheap, fast computing power, RAM, and disk-based storage is hard to come by these days. They really skimped on the specs and it shows right out of the gate. The promise of speed increases in the future does little to comfort people switching from fairly responsive MSO boxes. My SARA based box might look like poo poo but it's quick and never locks up. Are DVRs really that hard or expensive to manufacture, considering TiVO owns all the patents and doesn't have to license anything?

chemosh6969
Jul 3, 2004

code:

bull3964 posted:

You're a very special case in that you own a tivo (and thus get upgrade incentives) but don't already have an S3/HD. That does sweeten the proposition.

I also own a S3, but yes, my line of thinking was off. I'm just replacing a S2 Tivo in the bedroom with the premier. I wouldn't think of putting the S3 out of the living room unless the premier got some major upgrades.

chemosh6969
Jul 3, 2004

code:

New Tivo should be delivered Friday :)

Golbez
Oct 9, 2002

1 2 3!
1 2 3!
My TiVoHD just rebooted (nothing new) and when it came back up it said it was installing an update. Anyone know anything about a recent update?

Edit: Not that it really matters. My TiVo hasn't managed to stay up for more than 5 minutes since. I suspect it's overheating, it's unseasonably warm here. Sigh. If only it weren't designed like a drat piece of consumer electronics and let me find out where the bootup was failing. I mean, I like that it is, but .. it would be nice if it had SOME kind of diagnostics.

After unplugging and replugging the external drive and the cablecard, it's back. *shrug* Who knows. I'm just biding my time til I can afford a Premiere.

Golbez fucked around with this message at 00:37 on Apr 2, 2010

chemosh6969
Jul 3, 2004

code:

I just got my Premier hooked up and Netflix menus and other stuff all seem to run faster than my Series 3. There was a service update after all the channel stuff was loaded. Maybe that turned on the second processor.

Worst thing I've noticed so far is the non-premium remote feels much cheaper than my Series 3 remote. It feels light as hell and the up/down/left/right button around the Select button doesn't have that feeling of the 4 being separate. I've hit up or down when I've meant to hit right.

Standard USB keyboards work with the Premiere

Cursor keys = arrows
Enter = Select
Esc = Clear
F1 = TiVo
F2 = LiveTV
F3 = Guide
F5 = Thumbs Up
F6 = Thumbs Down
F7 = Channel Up
F8 = Channel Down
F9 = Record (?)
F10 = Info
F11 = TiVo again (?)

chemosh6969 fucked around with this message at 02:08 on Apr 3, 2010

chemosh6969
Jul 3, 2004

code:

This thing is actually a lot faster than my Series 3. More than glad I bought it and I'm thinking I'll put the S3 in the bedroom now. I think it was worth the price and I'm just glad I won't have to buy anymore lifetime subscriptions when newer models come out.

complex
Sep 16, 2003

chemosh6969 posted:

This thing is actually a lot faster than my Series 3. More than glad I bought it and I'm thinking I'll put the S3 in the bedroom now. I think it was worth the price and I'm just glad I won't have to buy anymore lifetime subscriptions when newer models come out.

Hey now what? How do you know you won't have to buy anymore lifetime subscriptions? I bought a lifetime on my Series 2, hoping that would be that last one. Then I had to pay a transfer fee (that was >50% of the cost of the original lifetime subscription fee) to move it to my Series 3. If I were to buy a Premiere there would be another fee of $199 to transfer the sub again.

TiVo has always said that lifetime subscriptions are for the lifetime of the hardware. If newer models come out and you decide to upgrade to them you'll probably be paying more fees.

chemosh6969
Jul 3, 2004

code:

complex posted:

Hey now what? How do you know you won't have to buy anymore lifetime subscriptions? I bought a lifetime on my Series 2, hoping that would be that last one. Then I had to pay a transfer fee (that was >50% of the cost of the original lifetime subscription fee) to move it to my Series 3. If I were to buy a Premiere there would be another fee of $199 to transfer the sub again.

TiVo has always said that lifetime subscriptions are for the lifetime of the hardware. If newer models come out and you decide to upgrade to them you'll probably be paying more fees.

What I mean was, the Series 2 I replaced was on a monthly plan. Now it's not.

Ether Frenzy
Dec 22, 2006

Nap Ghost
Anyone know if the Direct TV Tivo (HR10-250) will continue to allow me to playback recorded programs without a DirectTV card in it?

They've finally forced me to move to their DVR by taking all of the HD channels away from the HR10-250, but I don't want to make the switch yet if there's going to be no way to view what I've got stored in recordings.

(Also, while I'm asking, if anyone knows, do I need to use the new DirectTV card provided with the new DVR or can I just put the old one in the new device?)

chemosh6969
Jul 3, 2004

code:

Here's a nice program I found in conjunction with VideoReDo, an incredible program for editing Tivo files

http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb/showthread.php?t=359550

It monitors for any transfers from the Tivo and then has VideoReDo automatically do whatever jobs you want done on the file.

Before this, I'd have a ton of Tivo files and then do batch jobs every weekend. Now that's all done for me :)

chemosh6969
Jul 3, 2004

code:

Don't think this was mentioned but if you add 209.97.196.52 as a server, you get more apps.

There's also links for a few other apps if you punch the address in your browser.

Ether Frenzy
Dec 22, 2006

Nap Ghost

Ether Frenzy posted:

Anyone know if the Direct TV Tivo (HR10-250) will continue to allow me to playback recorded programs without a DirectTV card in it?

They've finally forced me to move to their DVR by taking all of the HD channels away from the HR10-250, but I don't want to make the switch yet if there's going to be no way to view what I've got stored in recordings.

(Also, while I'm asking, if anyone knows, do I need to use the new DirectTV card provided with the new DVR or can I just put the old one in the new device?)

For the record - yes, this works fine in playback mode, as long as you have a card in the box (deactivated is apparently fine) and a satellite connection when you boot up (you can then remove the sat wire after startup and it plays back fine.)

I wish NFL Sunday Ticket wasn't a DirectTV exclusive, I would so like to be using a Premiere over this crappy DVR.

Chemmy
Feb 4, 2001

Brock Landers posted:

This is really the biggest problem I see. It's not like cheap, fast computing power, RAM, and disk-based storage is hard to come by these days. They really skimped on the specs and it shows right out of the gate. The promise of speed increases in the future does little to comfort people switching from fairly responsive MSO boxes. My SARA based box might look like poo poo but it's quick and never locks up. Are DVRs really that hard or expensive to manufacture, considering TiVO owns all the patents and doesn't have to license anything?

My TiVo HDs aren't blazing fast but they scream compared to Cablevisions Scientific Atlanta boxes that take a literal full minute of black screen to display the channel listings.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Golbez
Oct 9, 2002

1 2 3!
1 2 3!
Does anyone have any idea whatseover what the woman at the very start of the TiVo Series 3 intro movie is saying? "Pa pa paaa?"

• Locked thread