Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pvt. Benedetto
Jul 1, 2007

Bikes!

Neo Rasa posted:

This sounds like something from Al-Qadim: The Genie's Curse
http://www.mobygames.com/game/dos/al-qadim-the-genies-curse/screenshots

Hmm, I've investigated and that doesn't see to be it, but I really appreciate your help/suggestion!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yaos
Feb 22, 2003

She is a cat of significant gravy.

Twitch posted:

A real shot in the dark here (haven't played the game in at least 13-15 years) but could you be thinking of Strike Commander?
It looks like a game I've played before, but i don't think you ever saw anybodies faces. Curse the 90's for having so many generic flight sim games. I wonder though, I may still have the game as I don't recall ever getting rid of it.

Naky
May 30, 2001

Resident Crackhead
I got one - I've been trying to remember the name of a game where you're a computer AI who discovers its sentience and you have to keep from being discovered by humans. I believe it's open source and fairly recent, but my Google-fu has completely failed me turning up nothing but actual game design articles on computer AI and such. At later levels you can build server bases on the moon, under the sea, between dimensions, etc. It was a fun time waster albeit a bit soon in the development stage so I wanted to see the progress. This time I'll bookmark I swear.

Conduit for Sale!
Apr 17, 2007

There was a side scroller shooter a la Metal Slug made by a goon, and he made a thread asking for suggestions for a boss in the game. I think it was a sequel and it was anime-ish too. I may be misremembering some or all of that, but yea. Anyone remember the name?

Saint Septimus
Dec 9, 2005

Naky posted:

I got one - I've been trying to remember the name of a game where you're a computer AI who discovers its sentience and you have to keep from being discovered by humans.

Endgame: Singularity

Naky
May 30, 2001

Resident Crackhead
Thanks muchly. I just couldn't figure out the right word combination on google for the life of me. Sigh.

Superrodan
Nov 27, 2007
This is a really weird request, because I'm looking for a game that has a specific feature. I SWEAR I've seen it in at least one game but can't remember where.

This is the end results screen of a race. So basically, the race is over, and it is showing who came in first, second, third, etc.

The players in the race pull up towards the camera in a diagonal fashion one at a time in the order they finished the race. I believe they were on hoverbikes or motorcycles or something, because as they pull into their spot the racers hop off of their vehicle.

The player closest to the screen is the first place player and is basically the most prominent.

Does this sound familiar to anyone else?

Philosopher King
Oct 25, 2006
The game I'm looking for was supposed to come out sometime this year or next for XBox, PC, and PS. The games pull is that you're a spy and can kill any character, no matter how essential, and you can complete the game without firing a shot. I think there was a thread about this game, but I'm not sure.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

Philosopher King posted:

The game I'm looking for was supposed to come out sometime this year or next for XBox, PC, and PS. The games pull is that you're a spy and can kill any character, no matter how essential, and you can complete the game without firing a shot. I think there was a thread about this game, but I'm not sure.

Alpha Protocol.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

I played this game, pretty sure it was flash, where you're a Japanese businessman whose entire goal is to run to the far right of the screen while jumping over poo poo. It was really weird and obviously Japanese in design.

Yoya
Nov 6, 2009

I already bought the chicken

al-azad posted:

I played this game, pretty sure it was flash, where you're a Japanese businessman whose entire goal is to run to the far right of the screen while jumping over poo poo. It was really weird and obviously Japanese in design.

That must be Tomena Sanner, although I can't find a flash version anywhere.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Yoya posted:

That must be Tomena Sanner, although I can't find a flash version anywhere.

Yep, that's it. I distinctly remember playing the game online but what I was probably playing the iphone version.

Lowen SoDium
Jun 5, 2003

Highen Fiber
Clapping Larry

Conduit for Sale! posted:

There was a side scroller shooter a la Metal Slug made by a goon, and he made a thread asking for suggestions for a boss in the game. I think it was a sequel and it was anime-ish too. I may be misremembering some or all of that, but yea. Anyone remember the name?

NOITU LOVE 2: DEVOLUTION

The first one is free, the second one is $10

Conduit for Sale!
Apr 17, 2007

Lowen SoDium posted:

NOITU LOVE 2: DEVOLUTION

The first one is free, the second one is $10

Awesome, thanks.

Nomikos
Dec 31, 2003

A few years ago I downloaded this mp3, which is a pretty great techno song of some sort. It was posted here on SA in a "help me figure out what this song is from" thread and had no more information than that it was called "human.mp3". Eventually someone discovered that it is part of the soundtrack to a video game, and I forgot all about it.

Lately I've started listening to this song on repeat for hours again, so I decided to try to track down the game it came from. Unfortunately I've forgotten its name and everything else about it so once again all I have to go on is "human.mp3" :(

Googling for human.mp3 or any phrases from the lyrics reveals nothing.

The song: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_RJY1jcMlSI

Lyrics: (my transcription)

quote:

[Chorus:]
Fast and speedy's not enough for
getting to the proper point
that we all are seeking.
In the axes where opposite forces meet we
take from axis(?) and make the new choices.

[Chorus x2]

In battle overcome, we mothers(?) of a dawn(?)

[Chorus]

The axes where opposite forces meet
we take from excess(?) and make new voices ring.

[Chorus]

Songs(?) of a new one(?)
??? ??? ???
??? finally ???
??? integrity lost ???
insanity cannot ??? ???

[Chorus, Repeat x2]

Nomikos fucked around with this message at 14:43 on Jan 22, 2012

Lets Fuck Bro
Apr 14, 2009

Nomikos posted:

A few years ago I downloaded this mp3, which is a pretty great techno song of some sort. It was posted here on SA in a "help me figure out what this song is from" thread and had no more information than that it was called "human.mp3". Eventually someone discovered that it is part of the soundtrack to a video game, and I forgot all about it.

Lately I've started listening to this song on repeat for hours again, so I decided to try to track down the game it came from. Unfortunately I've forgotten its name and everything else about it so once again all I have to go on is "human.mp3" :(

Googling for human.mp3 or any phrases from the lyrics reveals nothing.

The song: http://ratha.bootis.org/~gmaslov/human.mp3 (my hosting)

Lyrics: (my transcription)
American McGee's Scrapland. It originally went by human.ogg, not human.mp3. It was packaged in the installation but I don't think it's actually played in the game. The rest of the soundtrack is by the same guy and is all similarly excellent techno. A lot of people didn't like it but I think it's a pretty decent game too, kind of like freelancer + gta.

Lets Fuck Bro fucked around with this message at 10:06 on Mar 25, 2010

martin4tw
Jul 6, 2005
There was this PS1 game that I played and for the life of me I cannot remember it's name. It was sort of a mech game with some heavy japanese rpg style plot elements going on. You are on some sort of dangerous mission exploring some generic base and the game had a lot of dialog between the people in the mechs. I seem to remember there being a general sort of rpg-like upgrade system to your mechs. There were only a handful of characters and you only play as one. The game conveyed a lot of isolation and suspense. Lots of doors and corridors. I do remember the game being extremely hard, and one distinct thing I remember is there is a big betrayal of at the end from one of the characters.

BigDayman
Apr 12, 2009

by Tiny Fistpump
I've searched all over Search Engines for this game, I can remember Everything about the story, but the name escapes me. Its a old PC First Person Adventure game, with old adventure aspects. Grab item here, put item in there. Anyway, the Story goes as follows:
You play the son of a half-elf who lazy and wants adventure when the kingdom comes under trouble. It seems the evil person that your father put away has come back (I don't think this was a sequel, but I could be wrong.) Anyway, you go to get the original magic sword that took this evil guy down, you meet with a old childhood friend whose father is poisoned, after that you go to the location of the sword where you meet this dwarf who the guard wont let in the city. You fix that, and find the sword broken. Yada yada, you meet tons of more allies who are all needed to fix the broken sword to use against this evil guy.

I can remember allot about the story and the game, for the all trying, I cant figure out the name and would be very appreciative if someone knew the game I was talking about.

wb
Nov 19, 2004
im cool

BigDayman posted:

I've searched all over Search Engines for this game, I can remember Everything about the story, but the name escapes me. Its a old PC First Person Adventure game, with old adventure aspects. Grab item here, put item in there. Anyway, the Story goes as follows:
You play the son of a half-elf who lazy and wants adventure when the kingdom comes under trouble. It seems the evil person that your father put away has come back (I don't think this was a sequel, but I could be wrong.) Anyway, you go to get the original magic sword that took this evil guy down, you meet with a old childhood friend whose father is poisoned, after that you go to the location of the sword where you meet this dwarf who the guard wont let in the city. You fix that, and find the sword broken. Yada yada, you meet tons of more allies who are all needed to fix the broken sword to use against this evil guy.

I can remember allot about the story and the game, for the all trying, I cant figure out the name and would be very appreciative if someone knew the game I was talking about.

Shannara maybe?

Bieeanshee
Aug 21, 2000

Not keen on keening.

Grimey Drawer

martin4tw posted:

There was this PS1 game that I played and for the life of me I cannot remember it's name. It was sort of a mech game with some heavy japanese rpg style plot elements going on. You are on some sort of dangerous mission exploring some generic base and the game had a lot of dialog between the people in the mechs. I seem to remember there being a general sort of rpg-like upgrade system to your mechs. There were only a handful of characters and you only play as one. The game conveyed a lot of isolation and suspense. Lots of doors and corridors. I do remember the game being extremely hard, and one distinct thing I remember is there is a big betrayal of at the end from one of the characters.

I want to say this is Kileak: the DNA Imperative, but that was much more excruciating than suspenseful.

BigDayman
Apr 12, 2009

by Tiny Fistpump

wb posted:

Shannara maybe?

Wow, I wasnt even close to guessing the game title. But many thanks to you. I can finally search to purchase this game and hope for another great time.

Bart Fargo
Mar 24, 2005

Il Raggio Infernale

martin4tw posted:

Is it Brahma Force: Assault on Beltlogger 9? Mech game, first-person, lots of talking and a definite feeling of isolation in some kind of hostile environment.

http://www.playstationmuseum.com/Games/NTSCUC/SLUS00444/

Kind of cluttered up with nonsense, but this is the opening video. Look like your game? (Actual gameplay starts around the 8 minute mark.)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F-S-jr_6X0U

Bart Fargo fucked around with this message at 14:11 on Mar 25, 2010

Nomikos
Dec 31, 2003

Lets gently caress Bro posted:

American McGee's Scrapland. It originally went by human.ogg, not human.mp3. It was packaged in the installation but I don't think it's actually played in the game. The rest of the soundtrack is by the same guy and is all similarly excellent techno. A lot of people didn't like it but I think it's a pretty decent game too, kind of like freelancer + gta.

That was fast. Thanks!

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

Well, these are all extreme longshots, but...

All three of these games are/were shareware, or demos possibly.

The first one was a blend of zelda and some secret-of-mana like RPG I believe. You were in a school or possibly church, and found various items lying around (like a wheel and apple cider (which turned out to be vinegar if you tasted it). You saw ghosts at some point, and the demo ended with you being told what awaited you in the full game, properly ending by seeing some big evil demony guy you were supposed to beat. (I know that pretty much describes every RPG out there, but that's about all I remember, aside from a clock tower playing some signifance). Oh, and you were possibly trying to escape at the end. Don't remember why.

Second one was a first person RPG (possibly), plenty ancient, in the might and magic style interface-wise, sort of. You were a bunch of kids armed with stuff like branches and slingshots at first, delving into some kind of building for reasons I don't remember. You could find stuff like eggs, all edible, some which held snakes that popped out if you kept them in your inventory too long and attacked you. I think you could gather jewels, but I don't remember if you used them for any specific purpose.

Third was essentially a rogue-like, but with a big 2D/3D town you could visit that looked a bit like it was out of Heroes of Might and Magic's starting screens. You had to raise a bunch of stats, fight monsters or leave them alone, and the things you fought were varied (I distinctly remember a small creature that sounded like it said Shnook! Which was also it's name. )

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

evilmiera posted:

The first one was a blend of zelda and some secret-of-mana like RPG I believe. You were in a school or possibly church, and found various items lying around (like a wheel and apple cider (which turned out to be vinegar if you tasted it). You saw ghosts at some point, and the demo ended with you being told what awaited you in the full game, properly ending by seeing some big evil demony guy you were supposed to beat. (I know that pretty much describes every RPG out there, but that's about all I remember, aside from a clock tower playing some signifance). Oh, and you were possibly trying to escape at the end. Don't remember why.

One of the Neophyte demos?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Neophyte_(series)

Hakkesshu fucked around with this message at 21:14 on Mar 25, 2010

wb
Nov 19, 2004
im cool

evilmiera posted:

Third was essentially a rogue-like, but with a big 2D/3D town you could visit that looked a bit like it was out of Heroes of Might and Magic's starting screens. You had to raise a bunch of stats, fight monsters or leave them alone, and the things you fought were varied (I distinctly remember a small creature that sounded like it said Shnook! Which was also it's name. )

One of these? Mordor, Demise

There was also a Mordor 2 but I don't think that made it past beta.

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

wb posted:

One of these? Mordor, Demise

There was also a Mordor 2 but I don't think that made it past beta.

Yes, it was Demise! At least I think so.. some of the screens seemed a bit off, but my memory is fussy.

And I can't try the Neophyte demos :( Won't install properly since they're so old. Some of the lore seems familiar tho.

martin4tw
Jul 6, 2005

Bieeardo posted:

I want to say this is Kileak: the DNA Imperative, but that was much more excruciating than suspenseful.

Wow, holy hell yes that is it! I do remember it being tremendously hard. I think the only reason I remembered the game at all is due to all the time I spent getting to the end without actually beating it.

Speedboat Jones
Dec 28, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
I think it's an old DOS game. I barely remember anything about it, but I think you played as some kind of cop or something on a space station. The only part I really remember is that one of the game over endings is you get put in jail with a really big alien that says "Are you the male or female of your species? Oh well. Either way, you're screwed."

Kempy
Dec 15, 2009

Alright:

This game came out roughly 5-10 years ago and I remember it was on PC. It was a third-person adventure game and when you ran into a battle with someone or something, you controlled a little fairy and flew around an arena of sorts.

I remember the title was 3 words (I'm pretty sure the same), starting with an X or Z (So like, X___ X___ X___).

I only ever played the demo and would just be interesting to play again

dPB
Aug 2, 2006
Captain Awesome

Kempy posted:

Alright:

This game came out roughly 5-10 years ago and I remember it was on PC. It was a third-person adventure game and when you ran into a battle with someone or something, you controlled a little fairy and flew around an arena of sorts.

I remember the title was 3 words (I'm pretty sure the same), starting with an X or Z (So like, X___ X___ X___).

I only ever played the demo and would just be interesting to play again

Is it the one where you're a little girl and you collect fairies like pokemon, and when you battle you battle in an fps arena? It starts with Z but I've forgotten the name.

Edit: After some digging, I found it on wikipedia. It's called ZanZarah. Not sure if that's the one you're talking about though.

Edit2: Actually now i have a request. I remember reading in a games magazine about a Gladiator game, set in ancient roman times, but instead of being a gladiator, I think you like managed a team of gladiators? I don't remember much unfortunately, it might have been a console game.

dPB fucked around with this message at 16:07 on Mar 27, 2010

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

dPB posted:

Edit2: Actually now i have a request. I remember reading in a games magazine about a Gladiator game, set in ancient roman times, but instead of being a gladiator, I think you like managed a team of gladiators? I don't remember much unfortunately, it might have been a console game.

Gladius? That was a Lucasarts game, I believe.

dPB
Aug 2, 2006
Captain Awesome

Hakkesshu posted:

Gladius? That was a Lucasarts game, I believe.

Looking at the wikipedia entry I think that was it. Thanks, now to see if I can track down a copy

Kempy
Dec 15, 2009

dPB posted:

Is it the one where you're a little girl and you collect fairies like pokemon, and when you battle you battle in an fps arena? It starts with Z but I've forgotten the name.

Edit: After some digging, I found it on wikipedia. It's called ZanZarah. Not sure if that's the one you're talking about though.

Holy poo poo, that's actually it.

Thanks heaps, mate. Now if you'll excuse me, it's time to go dance with fairies.

A Fistful of Owls
Sep 2, 2006

I remember the day you followed me home.
I'm looking more for the guy behind a game, except what I have is very vague.

I remember it being talked about in the Games forum a while back but basically it was some guy who self-releases some really lovely games but has a blimp-sized ego to the point where he has a website full of his own trite quotes about success.

(not Derek Smart)

Saint Septimus
Dec 9, 2005

kyriarchy posted:

I'm looking more for the guy behind a game, except what I have is very vague.

I remember it being talked about in the Games forum a while back but basically it was some guy who self-releases some really lovely games but has a blimp-sized ego to the point where he has a website full of his own trite quotes about success.

(not Derek Smart)

MDickie maybe.

Mobius
Sep 26, 2000
Alright, this one's been bothering me for years. I'm not sure it even exists -- it may just be a combination of fuzzy memories and made up poo poo that I've convinced myself is real.

I have a vague memory of an Atari 2600 game that I probably played at about the age of 5 or so. It was a top-down tank game (not Combat) where, if you did well, you would get a screen that shows a dramatic shot of your tank on the edge of a cliff with a full moon in the background. If you lost, you would see a skull and crossbones.

That's it, that's all I remember. Does this actually exist? What game is it?

A Fistful of Owls
Sep 2, 2006

I remember the day you followed me home.

Saint Septimus posted:

MDickie maybe.

That's it. Thanks :)

Altoids
May 15, 2003

He threw that thing in the air and God said, Brett Favre will have a touchdown pass. And he did.
I remember playing an overhead, role-playing game in the same vein as Ultima when I was a kid. The game was given to me on a 3.5" floppy from a family friend, and kind of looked like Ultima 6, graphics wise (from what I remember). The only thing wrong with Ultima 6 is that the map doesn't look quite right to me. I remember there being lots of islands to visit (especially to the south and a little west). It could be that these "islands" were just part of the main continent that I hadn't visited fully. I am pretty sure that you got a ship pretty early on, like in the first town that you visit, and could pretty much sail wherever you wanted...

It might have been a party based game and maybe one of the characters was green?? This is terribly vague, and I probably wouldn't recognize the game if I saw it now, but maybe someone remembers something similar. Hell it might even be Ultima 6 for all I know, it certainly looks similar.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shanty
Nov 7, 2005

I Love Dogs
Going mad trying to think of this old Mac game!

Basically it was a myst-like deal, first person view of shoddily rendered scenery. You went around solving puzzles, I guess, and occasionally a man would pop out to tell you something. The gimmick was that it was based on an old quiz show, I think, and the stuff you found in the puzzles made sort of a chain (shown at the bottom of the screen). The guy would tell you about the stuff you found, and was probably the original host of the show. Old guy, grayish hair? He was live action footage, by the way.
I distinctly remember graphite being one of the first such links that you got after solving one of those "rub a notepad to see what was written on the previous page" puzzles with a graphite pencil. I'm pretty sure the number you found was the combination to a safe (which was in the room behind the notepad).
I also remember there being a 1950s style American diner in one of the first locations, as well as possibly a castle, a moat or a well. There was some kind of significant mechanic where you had to fill out the chain before moving on to a new location. Later on it got REALLY weird and you wound up in a pyramid or something or maybe it was a hotel? :psyduck:
I may be mixing it up with another game entirely, but I think you were meant to stop an evil magician or something, but this I'm not at all sure about since that doesn't seem to jive with the more pointless chain mechanic and also I've played a lot of these dumb games. :shobon:

I've been googling this like crazy, but I can only turn up the BBC quiz "Only Connect" which sounds right, but doesn't seem to have anything to do with the game after all.

If anyone has even the foggiest idea about what the game was or even which television show might have inspired it (if I haven't made that up), I'd be absolutely ECSTATIC.