Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Corridor
Oct 19, 2006

Revolvyerom posted:

Did you enjoy the Star Wars Holiday Special? I hear the ads are amusing, but the show itself was so terrible I couldn't even make it to the second commercial break.

I'm partway through watching it now (had to abort partway through to go to bed) and the movie is the worst thing but it's in a 'why would anyone make something this ridiculous' kind of way. Transformers 2, for example, just hurts me to watch. I'd have walked out when I saw it in the cinema if I hadn't been with someone else. I dunno if I could stand to watch it even with a riff. But Star Wars Holiday is just bizzare. There are many places where Mike et al don't even say anything, just laugh helplessly at how retarded it is.

Plus the actual riffing is hilarious. Even with all the "gouge my own eyes out" lines, it's still hilarious.

Contra Calculus posted:

I was watching a review somewhere of Transformers 2 where they played a game of which movie the reviewers would rather see than Transformers 2.

It lost to Manos: Hands of Fate, Batman and Robin, Eragon, etc.
Yeah I saw that movie in theaters and I don't think I could ever bring myself to see it again even with the MST3K crew. (Oddly enough, during the middle of the movie I was actually praying for the spirit of Mike Nelson and the bots to help me get through this horrible experience).

I should have tried that. Yeah Manos was way better, it had Torgo. I wish Transformers 2 had Torgo.

Corridor fucked around with this message at 08:39 on Mar 25, 2010

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nut Bunnies
May 24, 2005

Fun Shoe
Transformers 2 was awful, but Twilight, Star Wars Holiday Special, Laserblast, and a whole bunch of others are much worse. SWHS is just completely unbearable. If it weren't for the ads, I would have killed myself.

Ensign_Ricky
Jan 4, 2008

Daddy Warlord
of the
Children of the Corn

or something...

Revolvyerom posted:

"Line..." at this point completely breaks my enjoyment of a riff. They use it in about a third of their riffs now, and it's jarring to hear the same joke used repeatedly. Was funny the first few times.

They did the same thing in the MST days though. There was always at least one "Calgon, take me away!" joke, in the Joel Era, there were constant "Hey, its the NBC mystery movie!" jokes....

So, it's not really a new phenomenon.

Corridor
Oct 19, 2006

Bob Shadycharacter posted:

Oh, not the movie, just the whole show ending/they go back to earth thing. It wasn't even a sad ending, they were still together and still watchin' bad movies and stuff, but I was SO upset that the show was over. I know, it's lame.

I was pretty sad when Dr. Forrester died. He was the best part of the host segments. The way he left in the show was hilarious, but at the same time drat disturbing (2001 Space Odyssey parody). I'm going through a big MST nerdout at the mo, and yesterday I watched an episode where he reads out a fortune cookie... "'You will die a sad lonely death with the certain knowledge that no one has ever loved you'. Huh, it's weird, I keep getting the same one." Remembering that this does in fact happen made me depressed. :smith:

And then his own mom killed him because he was such a loser. :( At least the new Crow was still good so the show content is fine, but even though Mary Jo is great I just miss Dr. Forrester.

quote:

Sorry if I'm totally derailing the thread here. Has anyone else felt like the Rifftrax are coming out much slower lately? Or am I just really impatient?

I hope they are, I have a LOT to catch up on and it's gonna take me forever. I wish I was richer. Even with their prices I'm spending way too much on these guys.

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames

Ensign_Ricky posted:

They did the same thing in the MST days though. There was always at least one "Calgon, take me away!" joke, in the Joel Era, there were constant "Hey, its the NBC mystery movie!" jokes....

So, it's not really a new phenomenon.

Watch out for snakes!
Mannix!
Haikeeba!
Gymkata!

From Earth
Oct 21, 2005

Tony Danza Claus posted:

Watch out for snakes!
Mannix!
Haikeeba!
Gymkata!

PACKERS!

Saint Sputnik
Apr 1, 2007

Tyrannosaurs in P-51 Volkswagens!
For some reason "Watch out for snakes!" is the only one that makes me laugh every time. Maybe because I didn't see where the other catch phrases came from.

They don't really strike me as lazy, comedically, so I guess it's just their sense of humor.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Corridor posted:

I hope they are, I have a LOT to catch up on and it's gonna take me forever. I wish I was richer. Even with their prices I'm spending way too much on these guys.

I know what you mean, I think I've spent over 150 bucks on Rifftrax. I've bought something like seven pages of the shorts, too.

Corridor
Oct 19, 2006

Captain Invictus posted:

I know what you mean, I think I've spent over 150 bucks on Rifftrax. I've bought something like seven pages of the shorts, too.

The only thing stopping me from impulse-buying a ton of tracks in bulk is that I need to first obtain the movies, either by downloading on my slowass Aussie connection or physically going out and finding them. I already spend way too much of my free time watching MST eps, but Rifftrax is even funnier somehow. I dunno what it is, maybe it's the constant nerd references, maybe it's the use of more adult humour, maybe they just got wittier in 20 years. Or maybe I'm imagining it? I know I found the references to furries and slash fiction in Star Wars Holiday Special way funnier than I should have. These guys have gotta be goons (Mike's PR account notwithstanding).

And is it weird that I can't help imagining Kevin and Bill as Tom Servo and Crow when I hear their voices?

God it's weird to think they're all in their 40s and 50s now. That's like, grandparent age.

Bob Shadycharacter
Dec 19, 2005
I'm certailny not going to defend New Moon as a good movie but worse than Manos? You've got to be joking, surely? Not that I don't love Manos as an MST but, seriously.

Sure the plot is nonexistant but the film quality, lighting, special effects, and sound all blow every MST movie out of the water and then some. And several of the shots last more than 30 seconds.

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames

I'm certailny not going to defend New Moon as a good movie but worse than Manos? You've got to be joking, surely? Not that I don't love Manos as an MST but, seriously.

Sure the plot is nonexistant but the film quality, lighting, special effects, and sound all blow every MST movie out of the water and then some. And several of the shots last more than 30 seconds.

You heard me. :colbert:

New Moon was torture and bad effects wrapped in emo and bathed in masturbatory fantasy for repressed codependent lunatics. Transformers 2 was a 2 and a half hour fart joke / toy commercial. Manos, as flimsy and bad as a story as it may be, at least was trying.

So while the cinematography and lighting may be better in those movies, and frankly, how could they not be, the essence, the SOUL of the movies, are not comparable. Manos, Bride of the Monster, Space Mutiny, Wild World of Batwoman, ANY MST movie is better than New Moon or Transformers 2. And I'm sticking to it. :colbert:

Semiotic Ghost
Mar 25, 2006
Dumbass For Rent
I don't know if this has been posted but all this recent talk of diabolik always reminds me of this epic montage at the end of the road...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jsy62rUB0lQ

I must watch this at least once a day

Corridor
Oct 19, 2006

wrong thread :(

Bob Shadycharacter
Dec 19, 2005

Tony Danza Claus posted:

You heard me. :colbert:

New Moon was torture and bad effects wrapped in emo and bathed in masturbatory fantasy for repressed codependent lunatics. Transformers 2 was a 2 and a half hour fart joke / toy commercial. Manos, as flimsy and bad as a story as it may be, at least was trying.

So while the cinematography and lighting may be better in those movies, and frankly, how could they not be, the essence, the SOUL of the movies, are not comparable. Manos, Bride of the Monster, Space Mutiny, Wild World of Batwoman, ANY MST movie is better than New Moon or Transformers 2. And I'm sticking to it. :colbert:

I think it's pretty laughable to claim that the people who made Monster A-Go Go were seriously TRYING. They had a loving guy make a "brring brrring" phone nose with his mouth as a sound effect.

Anyway, I didn't claim that New Moon had a soul. There's probably a lot of people who worked on it that worked really hard though (just not the actors).

fenix down
Jan 12, 2005

From Earth posted:

What's worse, there's a Schnappi reference in almost every RiffTrax, even the most recent ones. It's bad enough to keep making jokes about an internet meme five years after everyone else has stopped caring about it, but the Schnappi jokes sound incredibly forced every single time.
Schnappi was never a meme in my opinion. It's not incredibly forced because it's a running gag. Like with Joel and the Johnny Carson "Mm hmmm! That's good ____"

Behonkiss
Feb 10, 2005

I think it's pretty laughable to claim that the people who made Monster A-Go Go were seriously TRYING. They had a loving guy make a "brring brrring" phone nose with his mouth as a sound effect.
Brrrup
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5dKiaRUKgmA

Overwined
Sep 22, 2008

Wine can of their wits the wise beguile,
Make the sage frolic, and the serious smile.

Revolvyerom posted:

"Line..." at this point completely breaks my enjoyment of a riff. They use it in about a third of their riffs now, and it's jarring to hear the same joke used repeatedly. Was funny the first few times.

You're totally right. They've driven it into the ground at this point. I don't laugh at it any more, but it does still amaze me what little modern actors do on screen. At this point Hollywood is a bunch of tits, asses, and pretty faces and little else.

Ensign_Ricky
Jan 4, 2008

Daddy Warlord
of the
Children of the Corn

or something...
Did..did we just relocate?

Sinfjotli
Dec 22, 2003

Lemon Curry?

Ensign_Ricky posted:

Did..did we just relocate?

Yes, they've been purging megathreads from GBS for some reason or another.

LaptopGun
Sep 2, 2006

All I'm going to get out of him is a snappy one-liner and, if I'm real lucky, a brand new nickname.
I guess call it finding a new home without the worry that Sci-Fi company suits are trying to set what we can and can't talk about.

Who am I kidding, thank God Sci-Fi kept the show on the air for another like 4 years. I'm just mad my cable company didn't have Sci-Fi until the show was over :(

Bob Shadycharacter
Dec 19, 2005

lol

"Yes, I made that phone noise"

Plavski
Feb 1, 2006

I could be a revolutionary

LaptopGun posted:

I guess call it finding a new home without the worry that Sci-Fi company suits are trying to set what we can and can't talk about.

Who am I kidding, thank God Sci-Fi kept the show on the air for another like 4 years. I'm just mad my cable company didn't have Sci-Fi until the show was over :(
I don't think MST could've run with a straight face on any channel called SyFy though, so maybe it was all for the best.

And in light of our moving thread, I'm going to watch 'The Brain That Wouldn't Die'.

Diabolik900
Mar 28, 2007

I have to say, it's kinda weird (but good) that Sci-Fi kept MST on the air for several years, even after they stopped producing new episodes.

Overwined
Sep 22, 2008

Wine can of their wits the wise beguile,
Make the sage frolic, and the serious smile.

Diabolik900 posted:

I have to say, it's kinda weird (but good) that Sci-Fi kept MST on the air for several years, even after they stopped producing new episodes.

I think it was the case that they had paid for the episodes and limited syndication already, so they wanted to get some use out of them. They didn't, however, want to pay for any new episodes. I'm guessing, but never heard, that BB tried to land a gig with another network. I'm curious who they went to.

Kull the Conqueror
Apr 8, 2006

Take me to the green valley,
lay the sod o'er me,
I'm a young cowboy,
I know I've done wrong
I'll never forget that fateful Saturday morning when I woke up to watch MST3K and was greeted with The Dark Backward, which is easily one of the worst movies I've ever seen. It was bad enough that it was officially out of syndication, but then I had to endure endless dutch angles of an insane Bill Paxton.

Saint Sputnik
Apr 1, 2007

Tyrannosaurs in P-51 Volkswagens!

Sinfjotli posted:

Yes, they've been purging megathreads from GBS for some reason or another.

To make more room for more MSPaint and COYA threads.

On topic: I think Fred Willard on some generic rocketship to the moon movie from the '60s is my favorite guest riffer. Maybe part of it is the voice; when you're working primarily in audio, you need to have a distinctive voice.

I think I'd love it if they got Garrison Keillor. All breathing heavily into the microphone constantly and participating in their little "life in Minnesota" sketches when the movie gets boring or tundra-filled. Got to be better than Chad Vader at least, guy brought nothing to the table.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Saint Sputnik posted:

To make more room for more MSPaint and COYA threads.
They purge those too, to perhaps the worst dungeon they could, Traditional Games or Traditional Games Discussion.

Corridor
Oct 19, 2006

Man, Corbett is totally a goon. The amount of goony slang and terminology he's coming out with is way too much for coincidence.

Just finished watching the Twilight riff. Ugghhh it was bad. I mean the guys did their best and did it well but that film was so loving dull and pointless that even they couldn't salvage much. I think I won't bother with the New Moon riff now.

The House on Haunted Hill one was pretty good though. :) Wasn't that one just Mike riffing alone ages ago? The trio have been redoing new commentaries over all Mike's solo stuff it seems. Well I'm down with that. Pretty sure they kept most of the original jokes and comments from Mike's solo run, just built on it.

Hey, do you know if they ever got an actual response to this? It's on their forum as well. None of the CT guys posted an acknowledgement (I think) and haven't made guest appearances. :(

Plavski
Feb 1, 2006

Corridor posted:

The House on Haunted Hill one was pretty good though. :) Wasn't that one just Mike riffing alone ages ago? The trio have been redoing new commentaries over all Mike's solo stuff it seems. Well I'm down with that. Pretty sure they kept most of the original jokes and comments from Mike's solo run, just built on it.
They redid the legend films colourized ones. One of the weirdest things I saw was Missile to the Moon, the Fred Willard one. They went back and re-did it as a three hander, but with the exact same script. What in the name of high-school-football was the point of that?

Nut Bunnies
May 24, 2005

Fun Shoe
I'm a little more than halfway through New Moon. Holy god is this loving bad. The effects are poo poo, and NOTHING HAS HAPPENED. I can't remember the last movie I saw with such a loving awful ratio of time:plot. gently caress.

Dissapointed Owl
Jan 30, 2008

You wrote me a letter,
and this is how it went:

Plavski posted:

They redid the legend films colourized ones. One of the weirdest things I saw was Missile to the Moon, the Fred Willard one. They went back and re-did it as a three hander, but with the exact same script. What in the name of high-school-football was the point of that?

Fred Willard didn't pull in the customers.

Which, while understandable, sucks because he rocks.

Jack Skeleton
Dec 7, 2006

Captain Charisma posted:

I'm a little more than halfway through New Moon. Holy god is this loving bad. The effects are poo poo, and NOTHING HAS HAPPENED. I can't remember the last movie I saw with such a loving awful ratio of time:plot. gently caress.

Twilight? I mean, seriously, it seems like they get an hour and a half into both films and then realize "poo poo, there's suppose to be some sort of plot involved in making a story, let's tack one on real quick now!"

The rifftrax on New Moon is pretty comical though. But yeah, I don't see how anyone can enjoy this poo poo without someone making fun of it every few seconds.

Darth Brookz
May 20, 2006

Captain Charisma posted:

My friend and I are in the same boat and even with getting high/drunk as poo poo we couldn't sit through it. The first one was a laugh riot but new moon is just loving too hard to watch it seems.

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich
Does anyone else buy the shorts?

Plavski
Feb 1, 2006

MY FANTASYS.zip posted:

I do. Not the best value for money compared to a full riff, but I quite like the short sharp bursts of insanity they provide.

CommanderApaul
Aug 30, 2003

It's amazing their hands can support such awesome.

MY FANTASYS.zip posted:

My wife doesn't like sitting through the full-length movies (she has the same issue I do of trying to pay attention to the movie and the riffing at the same time and getting confused, I usually watch the movie by itself first), but she gets into the shorts.

fenix down posted:

She gets into my shorts too FYI.

Just make sure to keep leaving the money on the dresser, I need to pay for daycare somehow.

CommanderApaul fucked around with this message at 23:30 on Mar 27, 2010

fenix down
Jan 12, 2005

CommanderApaul posted:

My wife doesn't like sitting through the full-length movies (she has the same issue I do of trying to pay attention to the movie and the riffing at the same time and getting confused, I usually watch the movie by itself first), but she gets into the shorts.
She gets into my shorts too FYI.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

MY FANTASYS.zip posted:

Generally I just buy the shorts since I don't own a lot of the movies they riff. So without further ado, muscles like this?'s update which shorts you should buy list:

Drugs Are Like That The two stupidest children discuss what exactly drugs are like. Including a baby.

Shake Hands With Danger The classic injury short.

The Case of Tommy Tucker (parts 1 & 2) Probably the only two part short I'd recommend. Tommy Tucker is the most annoying boy in the world, who gets hit by a car and goes to a bizarre safety orientated version of heaven.

Damaged Goods one of the many, many Syphilis related shorts but definitely the funniest as a bunch of high school schlubs go to a seedy bar, pick up some prostitutes and get Syphilis.

One Got Fat another one that was semi-famous before Rifftrax got a hold of it. This is the infamous disturbing money mask bicycle safety film.

Cooking Terms The world's stupidest woman tries to bake a cake.

Shy Guy Starring one of the Darrens from Bewitched as a whiny teenager who is way, way too obsessed with radios.

Patriotism Narrated by Bob Crane this is the classic tale of what things are patriotic. Turns out, quite a bit.

Nut Bunnies
May 24, 2005

Fun Shoe

Darth Brookz posted:

My friend and I are in the same boat and even with getting high/drunk as poo poo we couldn't sit through it. The first one was a laugh riot but new moon is just loving too hard to watch it seems.

The first half went bye pretty easily, but the second half was just unbearable. We kept checking the time after it felt like 30 minutes had gone by and it was only 10-15.

I think Twilight is the worse movie, though. Twilight is an exercise in abysmal film making. New Moon's just a 2 hour long middle of a movie that's really really boring.

Also Drugs Are Like That is the best short I've seen

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light

MY FANTASYS.zip posted:

I have them all.

I loved the one they did at the Christmas show - Three Magic Words - in which a dippy woman tries to figure out what to do for dinner. Luckily, there's a trio of singing butchers who are there to sing the virtues of pork.

• Locked thread