Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Das MicroKorg
Sep 18, 2005

Vintage Analog Synthesizer

Elias_Maluco posted:

And while you are getting into turn-based strategy, grab the legendary Jagged Alliance series, also avaliable on gog.
I would just get Jagged Alliance 2. The first one is terribly dated and the expansions of the second are nothing compared to playing JA2 with the free v1.13 mod/update. This alone will make you come back every couple of months even if you already beat the game a thousand times.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep

FLX posted:

I would just get Jagged Alliance 2. The first one is terribly dated and the expansions of the second are nothing compared to playing JA2 with the free v1.13 mod/update. This alone will make you come back every couple of months even if you already beat the game a thousand times.

JA2 is the best, no discussion. But I also played JA to death before JA2. Might be dated in comparission with JA2, but is still an awesome game on its own merits.

And gives you background to love JA2 even more (I remember the pleasure that was meeting the old characters again in JA2, after spending so much time woth then in JA. It was almost as meeting an old friend several years later)

Grawl
Aug 28, 2008

Do the D.A.N.C.E
1234, fight!
Stick to the B.E.A.T
Get ready to ignite
You were such a P.Y.T
Catching all the lights
Just easy as A.B.C
That's how we make it right

Blodskur posted:

Gobliiins Pack is now on GOG for $5.99.

For $2 a game, you can't go wrong. The games are beautiful and funny.

beef express
Sep 7, 2005

The highest technique is to have no technique.

Swamp Zero posted:

Oh god......
goblins...
EDIT: These adventures beat the poo poo out of any other adventure ever made except possibly the dig and full throttle. Monkey island? That poo poo is way better you have been officially warned~

I have happy memories of racking my brain trying to get a chicken to lay an egg in these games. For me the puzzles were way more satisfying than MI's puzzles because the humour was as much about incorrect solutions as correct ones. Awesome animation too. So buying these.

FearOfABlackKnob
Nov 5, 2008

by Ozma
Heroes of Might and Magic 3 is pinnacle game of the genre.

Rob Rockley
Feb 23, 2009

HoMM3 is a true classic game, and it belongs in any gamer's library.

JA2 is pretty classic too, a ton of fun, and pretty sandboxy and challenging. It's more of a turn based tactical RPG than a turn-based strategy; kind of like X-Com UFO Defense meets Baldur's Gate in the modern world, would be the simple and ugly analogy. Also one of the best-modded games around with the community 1.13 patch.

null_user01013
Nov 13, 2000

Drink up comrades

Grawl posted:

For $2 a game, you can't go wrong. The games are beautiful and funny.

You guys are not tricking me on this one. A wizard goblin had to blast a skeleton with magic, twice, once to get him to move, then another to make one of this bones turn into a flute. Then the other goblin had to go play the flute by the snake to make it stretch up and reach the platform about 15 feet above it so they could climb it like a rope...

Somebody call Roberta Williams.

hogswallower
May 8, 2005

Precious Pig Bits
Are those goblins games more along the lines of the nasty hard sierra games or the lucasarts games? I mean, are there ways to gently caress yourself over or is it just some tough puzzlin'?

ixnay
Jun 11, 2002

rainbow dash why are you making such a cool face?!

hogswallower posted:

Are those goblins games more along the lines of the nasty hard sierra games or the lucasarts games? I mean, are there ways to gently caress yourself over or is it just some tough puzzlin'?

I'ts been a long time since I played them but the games are more like tough puzzle games than traditional adventure games.

In each one, the gameplay generally takes place on self-contained screens and the puzzle is about using what you have on the screen to solve your problems and move onto the next one. There really isn't any way to backtrack or screw yourself.

The first one is a lot less forgiving since your goblins have a life bar and screwing up depletes it. 2 & 3 don't have this though and you are free to experiment and see what kind of wacky results ensue.

Personally, 2 was my favorite of the 3 games.

hogswallower
May 8, 2005

Precious Pig Bits
Thanks for the info, I love buying from GOG and I'd always been sort of curious about the games so I gave in.

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep

hogswallower posted:

Ive played 1 and 2 and I remember the puzzles being hard as gently caress. Lots of frustration and endless hours of trying the most absurd things you can possibly do until something clicks and you realize that is pretty loving unfair to expect people to think of something like that.

But I was around 13, so I guess it was probably not that hard.

hogswallower
May 8, 2005

Precious Pig Bits
I've been having some glitches in running it on win7 but I've put about 30 minutes into the first game and yeah it takes a little head scratching but it's not as bad as some p&c games I've played...so far. Don't regret the purchase at all.

V for Vegas
Sep 1, 2004

THUNDERDOME LOSER
Just picked up Soldiers, Heroes of WW2. It is loving awesome so far.

There seems to be some good mods out there like Storm Over Europe, which looks like making a hard game even harder. Are there any recommended mods people use?

Osmosisch
Sep 9, 2007

I shall make everyone look like me! Then when they trick each other, they will say "oh that Coyote, he is the smartest one, he can even trick the great Coyote."

Grimey Drawer

Elias_Maluco posted:

Ive played 1 and 2 and I remember the puzzles being hard as gently caress. Lots of frustration and endless hours of trying the most absurd things you can possibly do until something clicks and you realize that is pretty loving unfair to expect people to think of something like that.

But I was around 13, so I guess it was probably not that hard.

It actually was that hard.

If you have archives, Nidoking LPed the first 2 games in the series.

Threep
Apr 1, 2006

It's kind of a long story.

V for Vegas posted:

Just picked up Soldiers, Heroes of WW2. It is loving awesome so far.

There seems to be some good mods out there like Storm Over Europe, which looks like making a hard game even harder. Are there any recommended mods people use?
I don't know about mods but the sequel Men of War can be found pretty cheap now and if like Soldiers you'll probably love the improved version.

SkellingTon Loc
Oct 24, 2005

I was feelin' horny and ornery hornery
Figuring out the obscure puzzles in the goblins series is pretty hard, but the thing that makes you want to punch a hole in your monitor are the timed puzzles.

Gazmachine
May 22, 2005

Happy Happy Breakdance Challenge 4
Thanks all for the recommendations, will pick up some JA2 and one of the HoMM games methinks.

MW
May 20, 2001

"Nooooooooo!?"
Never played a HoMM game before, which one would you recommend to start with? I have no problem playing games with outdated graphics, but I have no interest in playing anything just for the "historical interest".

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep

MW posted:

Never played a HoMM game before, which one would you recommend to start with? I have no problem playing games with outdated graphics, but I have no interest in playing anything just for the "historical interest".

HoMM 3. If you enjoy it, try 5. If you want something a little different, try 4.

kissekatt
Apr 20, 2005

I have tasted the fruit.

I thought HOMM 5 was pretty bad, though to be fair I never finished it (due to it being bad). I agree that 3 is the high point of the series.

ChrisAsmadi
Apr 19, 2007
:D

kissekatt posted:

I thought HOMM 5 was pretty bad, though to be fair I never finished it (due to it being bad). I agree that 3 is the high point of the series.

While 3 is the high point, Heroes 2 is a pretty solid game as well.

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep

kissekatt posted:

5 is pretty good too, I actually think is better then 3. Its HoMM 3 revamped, with more variety on gameplay between the factions, more advanced hero development and improved balance (I also like the new magic schools better). HoMM 5 Tribes of the East introduces the awesome orc faction and 2 upgrade options for each unit, which greatly improves the variety in army and strategy.

Too bad it has a terrible AI and is heavily bugged, and 3D actually gets in the way. But still a great game.

Athletic Footjob
Sep 24, 2005
Grimey Drawer
Atari in April.

Entorwellian
Jun 30, 2006

Northern Flicker
Anna's Hummingbird

Sorry, but the people have spoken.

Blodskur posted:

Atari in April.

I just literally spat out my coffee all over my desk. Those three games alone are some of the best PC games ever made. Master of Magic! Outcast doesn't even work on any of my computers anymore so this is awesome.

Entorwellian fucked around with this message at 13:40 on Mar 25, 2010

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

Blodskur posted:

Atari in April.

Well, whoever wanted Outcast a couple of pages ago got their wish. I missed it at the time and heard it was good, so I'm also looking forward to it.

In the same style, I hope they can get Omikron/Nomad Soul.

Lemon-Lime fucked around with this message at 13:44 on Mar 25, 2010

the panacea
May 10, 2008

:10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux:
Yes! this is going to be great!

Athletic Footjob
Sep 24, 2005
Grimey Drawer
Syberia is now on GOG for $9.99. Syberia 2 and Amerzone: The Explorer's Legacy are coming soon for the same price.

Charles Martel
Mar 7, 2007

"The Hero of the Age..."

The hero of all ages
Hell yes. A lot of people should be happy with Master of Orion II.

And by my count, GOG's next release will be it's 200th game. Awesome!

Charles Martel fucked around with this message at 14:11 on Mar 25, 2010

Weedle
May 31, 2006

I hope we get Temple of Elemental Evil out of this, although who knows whether licensing issues with D&D will prevent that.

The Machine
Dec 15, 2004
Rage Against / Welcome to

Blodskur posted:

Atari in April.

Holy gently caress.

Goddamn that's awesome. :toot:

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

Master of Magic fans really need to track down Age of Wonders: Shadow Magic, and play the random scenario generator. That really needs to be on GOG.

Check out the wiki article for its gameplay:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Age_of_Wonders:_Shadow_Magic

Ben Nerevarine
Apr 14, 2006
Christ, that's really weird. I had an urge last night to play MoO2 so I came here to see if GoG had Atari games. I'm pumped.

AG3
Feb 4, 2004

Ask me about spending hundreds of dollars on Mass Effect 2 emoticons and Avatars.

Oven Wrangler

Blodskur posted:

Atari in April.

:woop:

This is the best news ever! I own both Master of Magic and Master of Orion 2, still have the discs and everything (scratched to hell, but still readable), and I'll still buy them on GoG when they arrive.

Master of Magic is probably tied with Transport Tycoon Deluxe as the game I've spent the most hours of my life on.

Well, after World of Warcraft, but that doesn't count and is not something I'm proud of :smith:

Farquar
Apr 30, 2003

Bjorn you glad I didn't say banana?
Wow, the last time I tried to play Master of Magic, I had to set up a Pentium 166 next to my regular computer because I couldn't get it to run in XP. This is exciting.

MOO2 I've played to death, but not in a few years. I'll be getting that too.

Zat
Jan 16, 2008

Blodskur posted:

Syberia is now on GOG for $9.99. Syberia 2 and Amerzone: The Explorer's Legacy are coming soon for the same price.
These are all pretty great games although they're still quite well available (well, Syberias anyway) and I don't think they have any issues with modern systems to start with. The Syberias definitely need a reduced package price because $20 is not that great for both of them, also Amerzone should definitely be in the $5.99 category in my mind.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

I got Master of Magic working on Dosbox a few years ago in XP but it was exceedingly slow. Still played the poo poo out of it.

Dissapointed Owl
Jan 30, 2008

You wrote me a letter,
and this is how it went:
Outcast.

gently caress. Yes.

Devil Wears Wings
Jul 17, 2006

Look ye upon the wages of diet soda and weep, for it is society's fault.

Blodskur posted:

Ooh! Great to see Benoit Sokal games showing up on GoG. They are a bit too pricey at $9.99 each, though; I suggest waiting for a sale.

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe

Blodskur posted:

As awesome as that is, you can get the whole Syberia series from Amazon for $7.19

http://www.amazon.com/Microids-Syberia-1-2-DJC/dp/B0017HLYNC

It might as well be DRM free since you don't need the disc to play once you install.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shart Carbuncle
Aug 4, 2004

Star Trek:
The Motion Picture
Yes yes Outcast! :woop: