Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

notlodar
Sep 11, 2001

Apparently Lightroom 3 Beta 2 has a fully functional point curve :hellyeah:

ok here's a link
http://labs.adobe.com/technologies/lightroom3/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AIIAZNSK8ER
Dec 8, 2008

Where is your 24-70?
My profits are going to be hurting when I buy CS5 and LR3, but its a necessary investment.

PushingKingston
Feb 25, 2005

What a BEARtiful face I have found in this place that is circling all round the sun.

notlodar posted:

ok here's a link
http://labs.adobe.com/technologies/lightroom3/

Also, noise reduction has been unlocked, thank god!

Shmoogy
Mar 21, 2007

PushingKingston posted:

The noise reduction actually looks like it can rival noise ninja. Very interesting, and expensive future upgrades.

Ringo R
Dec 25, 2005

ช่วยแม่เฮ็ดนาแหน่เดัอ
I just came back from a trip and realized I did nothing but rush from place to place taking photographs instead of stopping somewhere, reading about what I'm actually visiting and so on. Thinking more about it, I realize it's pretty much what I've been doing since getting a dslr. Whenever I'm at the same place for too long, I get restless, thinking I could be somewhere else at the moment missing a photo op. What have I become? :argh:

Anyone else like this?

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

I havent even owned a DSLR that long, and I'm already like that. I was out to lunch today with family, and outside the restaurant the waves of Lake Michigan were crashing over the break wall, and all I could think abut is where I could get the best shot, and how I wished I had my camera with me.

AIIAZNSK8ER
Dec 8, 2008

Where is your 24-70?
oh oh, theres also tethered shooting native in LR3!

Shmoogy
Mar 21, 2007

Phat_Albert posted:

I havent even owned a DSLR that long, and I'm already like that. I was out to lunch today with family, and outside the restaurant the waves of Lake Michigan were crashing over the break wall, and all I could think abut is where I could get the best shot, and how I wished I had my camera with me.

I actually have to decide if I can bring my camera with me when I go out with people, because they don't want to wait around while I try to find a shot/angle I like. I end up wishing I brought my camera way more often.

I need a discrete looking backpack that can carry my netbook, dslr, accessories and other stuff so I can just carry it with me whenever anyway.

365 Nog Hogger
Jan 19, 2008

by Shine
Just get a point and shoot, y'all.

HPL
Aug 28, 2002

Worst case scenario.

Reichstag posted:

35mm point and shoots are awesome because they usually have nice lenses and are a lot better at low light high ISO stuff than digital point and shoots.

GWBBQ
Jan 2, 2005

I am an idiot with no self control and honestly believe that I can either fix this or clean it up and resell it for roughly the price I paid for it. If I can revive a phone that went through the wash with Oxy Clean and fabric softener, I can fix a lens.
http://cgi.ebay.com/Canon-70-200-f-...f#ht_500wt_1182
Plus, if I get it working, imagine the looks on peoples' faces when I tell them how little I paid for it.

Shmoogy
Mar 21, 2007
I thought the 70-200 2.8IS was water resistant/proof. He obviously didn't have a UV filter on to complete the waterseal, but shouldn't a lot of inner stuff be protected cause of the gasket sealing?

The AF confirmation section of the lens works, so is there just condensate on the inside of the lens? How is that not worth Canon to fix?

I'd send him an e-mail with further questions/if it takes pictures and how they currently look.

e: I hate my p&s, for the most part. I have it inside my bag because its like 300 grams, so it doesn't really add anything noticeable to my bag.

HPL
Aug 28, 2002

Worst case scenario.

GWBBQ posted:

Plus, if I get it working, imagine the looks on peoples' faces when I tell them how little I paid for it.

Or turn it into a mug.

Pompous Rhombus
Mar 11, 2007
^^ I think it's weatherproof, not waterproof. You can't slap a UV filter on it and go snorkeling or whatever.

GWBBQ posted:

I am an idiot with no self control and honestly believe that I can either fix this or clean it up and resell it for roughly the price I paid for it. If I can revive a phone that went through the wash with Oxy Clean and fabric softener, I can fix a lens.
http://cgi.ebay.com/Canon-70-200-f-...f#ht_500wt_1182

You can order parts directly from Canon I'm pretty sure, but it's probably not worth it unless you really know what you're doing and already have all the tools you need. Bear in mind if you sell it for the price you paid, you still have to pay eBay fees.

I sometimes buy and fix up old lenses, but I stick with manual focus glass. Something like an L-zoom is a lot more complicated and time-consuming to work on.

GWBBQ
Jan 2, 2005

I thought about the fact that it's weather sealed and if I get it, my first step is going to be to open it up, pour freon through it, and shake to see how much of the condensation and debris (if there is any, I'd imagine that's what's binding the zoom ring) I can remove. After that I'm going start disassembling, shake up a can of denatured alcohol with salt in it to remove any small traces of water, and start cleaning parts as I go. If it was salt water it was in I wouldn't bother, but like I said, if I got a phone working after Oxy Clean and fabric softener, how hard can $2000 precision optics be? :suicide:

edit:

HPL posted:

Or turn it into a mug.
If it comes down to certain failure, I promise I will do this and adapt a lens cover with on O-ring so I can travel with it. gently caress the posers with their imitation L series mugs, I will have the real thing.

GWBBQ fucked around with this message at 20:52 on Mar 25, 2010

365 Nog Hogger
Jan 19, 2008

by Shine
Speaking of point n shoots, I don't think I'll ever actually buy one. I'll just keep pining for a Contax T series, but never actually shell out the money for one.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Shmoogy posted:

I actually have to decide if I can bring my camera with me when I go out with people, because they don't want to wait around while I try to find a shot/angle I like. I end up wishing I brought my camera way more often.

I need a discrete looking backpack that can carry my netbook, dslr, accessories and other stuff so I can just carry it with me whenever anyway.

Just picked this up for $80 at my local camera joint. I really like it so far, and it doesnt scream HEY THERES AN EXPENSIVE CAMERA IN HERE (as long as you arent lugging a tripod anyway). It has a laptop slot built-in, waterproof cover, tripod carrying ability, chest strap, wast strap, day compartment, headphone cord passthru, D-rings for clipping stuff on, all kinds of great stuff for cheap.

http://www.google.com/products?hl=en&q=kata+dr-467i

HPL
Aug 28, 2002

Worst case scenario.

Reichstag posted:

Speaking of point n shoots, I don't think I'll ever actually buy one. I'll just keep pining for a Contax T series, but never actually shell out the money for one.

I use a T2 extensively. It's awesome. Not perfect, but I like it. It's kind of bulky and heavy for what it is, but the lens is tack sharp and you have some control over the shutter speed and aperture, but not totally.

If you can make do with something similar, but with less control, get the Olympus Stylus Epic. Decent quality in a smaller, lighter package. Make sure to get the Epic because it has the good lens, not the crappy zoom lenses that other Styluses have.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

The iPhone 3gs is my P&S. Aside from having no flash, its a perfect P&S. You can do spot metering and change the AF on the touch screen, put your pictures through some light post with about a zillion different utilities, and then you can push it right to flickr or photobucket or whatever with their respective apps.

psylent
Nov 29, 2000

Pillbug

Phat_Albert posted:

I feel like I'm not making good use of the light during Golden Hour if I'm not using my camera, I spend ages staring at billboards/posters trying to figure out how the light was set up, I look at people on the street thinking how great it'd be to take their portrait under the current lighting conditions etc etc etc. :gbsmith:

GWBBQ
Jan 2, 2005

psylent posted:

I feel like I'm not making good use of the light during Golden Hour if I'm not using my camera, I spend ages staring at billboards/posters trying to figure out how the light was set up, I look at people on the street thinking how great it'd be to take their portrait under the current lighting conditions etc etc etc. :gbsmith:
At this point I might as well get nonprescription contact lenses with the outline of a 50mm frame on a crop sensor.

AIIAZNSK8ER
Dec 8, 2008

Where is your 24-70?

GWBBQ posted:

At this point I might as well get nonprescription contact lenses with the outline of a 50mm frame on a crop sensor.

I heard on FM, if you get the ones with a red stripe theres less diffraction when you squint at a brick wall.

Cross_
Aug 22, 2008

AIIAZNSK8ER posted:

I heard on FM, if you get the ones with a red stripe theres less diffraction when you squint at a brick wall.
Pricey stuff, better wear some UV glasses to protect your contacts.

notlodar
Sep 11, 2001

PushingKingston posted:

I noticed that if you imported the photos to Lightroom 2 with XML files and then imported them to Lightroom 3 afterwards, it was unlocked... But hooray for not having to do that!

Haggins
Jul 1, 2004

I got my free expo pass today and went to Photoshop World in Orlando today. The way it's set up is that have a TON of paid classes/workshops and a little expo floor with a few vendors selling/giving presentations. Being not far from where I live, I figured it'd be worth checking out the little expo.

The expo was better and more useful than I expected. They had a lot of print vendors there like Mpix showing off their different printed goods. It was nice to see what the gallery wrap photos and seeing the huge metallic prints in person is really impressive. The other vendors were cool too, got to play with some gear my lovely little camera store doesn't have. Sold myself on one of these diffusers after playing with it. Tried to get some poverty wizards from Midwest photo but they didn't have any with them.

The coolest part was the Peach Pitt Press booth. They had a ton of their books there and they had back to back hour long presentations by their authors. I was lucky enough to catch David Ziser's show on off camera wedding flash. Really useful and a I learned some new things. The guy is definitely one of my favorite wedding photographers. iStock Photo and Kelby Training where also giving free classes, but I was only there for 2 and a half hours and didn't have time to catch another free class. I really wanted to see Vincent Versace presentation.

The only other thing I missed out on was the Wacom booth. They had stations set up with pads connected to photoshop. I've been thinking about getting one and it would have been nice to test it out there, however, I didn't want to wait in line to get on a demo box.

So overall, it was well worth going and I wish I had more time there. I bet the paid workshops and classes are pretty cool ($500 for the week) and I would consider paying if I can be profitable by next year. If I were to go I'd probably go to Vegas next year and make a little working vacation out of it.

birds
Jun 28, 2008

One thing that really bothers me with Lightroom 3 on my Mac is when I open it, the window goes partially behind the dock. Having to resize it everytime I open the application isn't a big deal but it is kind of annoying. Has anyone else noticed this and figured out a way to fix it? (Tech support type question but I figured more people here are using Lightroom than people in SH/SC)

quazi
Apr 19, 2002

data control

notlodar posted:

loving. FINALLY. No more switching back and forth between Lightroom and Camera Raw!

Now if only we could use curves (and everything else for that matter) with an adjustment brush, then it would be a solid upgrade.

Pompous Rhombus
Mar 11, 2007

Haggins posted:

The only other thing I missed out on was the Wacom booth. They had stations set up with pads connected to photoshop. I've been thinking about getting one and it would have been nice to test it out there, however, I didn't want to wait in line to get on a demo box.

You can pick up a Wacom Bamboo for $50-70 these days, they're really not bad. The Intuos I have at work is a little more ergonomic, but as far as the sensitivity levels I don't see a massive difference.

DanTheFryingPan
Jan 28, 2006
Ansel Adams: The Mural Project 1941-1942

http://www.doi.gov/news/photos/Ansel-Adams-Mural-Project-Opens-at-Interior-Department.cfm

U.S. Department of the Interior posted:

Secretary of the Interior Ken Salazar today unveiled an exhibit within the corridors of the Department of the Interior of 26 never-before installed murals taken by famed photographer and conservationist Ansel Adams. The images, part of Ansel Adams: The Mural Project 1941-1942, have been installed on the first and second floors of the Department as originally envisioned by the artist and then-Secretary of the Interior, Harold Ickes.

ease
Jul 19, 2004

HUGE
I was just at a local firehouse with my daughter to get her picture taken with the Easter bunny. 3 ladies were running their make shift photo/print booth. They were using a Pentax K7 and some huge lens I couldn't see the details on. Too bad they had the ISO turned all the way up, and I have no clue what mode they were in, but they must have been using the tiniest aperature because the pictures were all coming out really underexposed.

I kept hearing them ask each other why everything is coming out so grainy(noise is what they meant) and dark, but I didn't interject to help, I dunno. Not really my place to tell them how to use their camera.

I really hope someone just lent them the camera, and one of them wasn't a wedding photographer or something.

fronkpies
Apr 30, 2008

You slithered out of your mother's filth.

ease posted:

I kept hearing them ask each other why everything is coming out so grainy(noise is what they meant) and dark, but I didn't interject to help, I dunno. Not really my place to tell them how to use their camera.

Could have helped a couple of people get nice photos though?

I probably would have left it though aswell.

HPL
Aug 28, 2002

Worst case scenario.

DanTheFryingPan posted:

Ansel Adams: The Mural Project 1941-1942

http://www.doi.gov/news/photos/Ansel-Adams-Mural-Project-Opens-at-Interior-Department.cfm

I love that Canyon de Chelly photo. Makes me wish I could go back to the Alberta badlands to take photos again.

Tetrad
Nov 3, 2002

Reichstag posted:

If you have the cash (~$400), the S90 is a great P&S. I put it in my pocket and carry it with me everywhere I go. http://www.flickr.com/photos/tetrad/

Hop Pocket
Sep 23, 2003

Tetrad posted:

If you have the cash (~$400), the S90 is a great P&S. I put it in my pocket and carry it with me everywhere I go. http://www.flickr.com/photos/tetrad/

I just pulled the trigger on the S90 on Amazon. Can't wait.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

I officially had a camera dream. Well, a camera nightmare.

Something about being in an awesome locale, throwing a roll of 120 into the 645, cranking it to start but for some reason it wouldn't lock to the beginning of frames, and my camera doesn't have a film number window so I had to just wind it to where I thought each frame started.

It doesn't sound bad but I woke up pretty upset. Needless to say, the first thing I did was pull my 645 down off the shelf and dry wind it to make sure it would stop where it was supposed to :colbert:

Stregone
Sep 1, 2006

Martytoof posted:

Something about being in an awesome locale, throwing a roll of 120 into the 645, cranking it to start but for some reason it wouldn't lock to the beginning of frames, and my camera doesn't have a film number window so I had to just wind it to where I thought each frame started.

It doesn't sound bad but I woke up pretty upset. Needless to say, the first thing I did was pull my 645 down off the shelf and dry wind it to make sure it would stop where it was supposed to :colbert:

I had a dream a while ago where I sat down at a bench in some huge weird amusement park. I got up and forgot my camera bag there. A crazy adventure ensued. Like some bizarre cross between alice in wonderland and lord of the rings.

AIIAZNSK8ER
Dec 8, 2008

Where is your 24-70?

Martytoof posted:

I just had one last night where I came back from an magazine shoot and all my photos were underexposed by 2 stops and was a pain to fix in lightroom. I woke up thinking that my previous days work was fuckered.

365 Nog Hogger
Jan 19, 2008

by Shine
I'm excited, I can finally get my E-6 4x5 processed within walking distance of me, same day 3 days of the week! I was expecting to have to mail out all my slides in the foreseeable future. Their website only listed 35mm and 120 processing prices, but when I went by and asked I was handed a price sheet, and it's only 25 cents more per sheet than the place I would be mailing to.

TheFuglyStik
Mar 7, 2003

Attention-starved & smugly condescending, the hipster has been deemed by
top scientists as:
"The self-important, unemployable clowns of the modern age."

AIIAZNSK8ER posted:

I just had one last night where I came back from an magazine shoot and all my photos were underexposed by 2 stops and was a pain to fix in lightroom. I woke up thinking that my previous days work was fuckered.

I didn't have a nightmare last night, but I did bend one of the CF pins inside my camera last night somehow. I nearly shat a brick when I saw none of my cards were reading or writing before I saw what happened. I thought I lost eight hours of shooting other what few shots I had taken with the second camera.
:negative:

Luckily it's just a bent pin that seems very easy to fix by prodding it with dental tools or actually taking the thing apart if I can't get to it otherwise.

Edit: Nope, pin is broken, and it looks to be at least a $200 repair. gently caress :suicide:

TheFuglyStik fucked around with this message at 21:46 on Mar 28, 2010

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ease
Jul 19, 2004

HUGE
I'm sorry, that really sucks. What body?