Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sniep
Mar 28, 2004

All I needed was that fatty blunt...

King of Breakfast

Sindow posted:

Which one of you is this

I think he misunderstood the point of the "myspace angle"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jose Pointero
Feb 16, 2004

We're not just doing this for money. We're doing it for a SHITLOAD of money!

Jose Pointero fucked around with this message at 03:48 on Aug 28, 2019

nmfree
Aug 15, 2001

The Greater Goon: Breaking Hearts and Chains since 2006
I really don't think it's a good idea to post people's addresses on here.

Jose Pointero
Feb 16, 2004

Jose Pointero fucked around with this message at 03:48 on Aug 28, 2019

Th_
Nov 29, 2008
Can't anyone just use his call to get his address immediately? If you blur the call then you'd also have to take down the link and, well, then it's not funny anymore.

BigHustle
Oct 19, 2005

Fast and Bulbous

AtomicMonsters posted:

Can't anyone just use his call to get his address immediately? If you blur the call then you'd also have to take down the link and, well, then it's not funny anymore.

Posting personal info that isn't yours is not liked around here, but an internet detective's work is never done.

Jose Pointero
Feb 16, 2004

Jose Pointero fucked around with this message at 03:49 on Aug 28, 2019

grilldos
Mar 27, 2004

BUST A LOAF
IN THIS
YEAST CONFECTION
Grimey Drawer
I think this is one of those rare situations where we can let this slide. Basically the OP is a list of nerd residences.

blugu64
Jul 17, 2006

Do you realize that fluoridation is the most monstrously conceived and dangerous communist plot we have ever had to face?
Speaking of call signs look what the Texas Department of Transportation gave me! (Yes I made them fix it, but kept these for my shack, also great to throw them on at ham conventions)

blugu64 fucked around with this message at 06:47 on Mar 22, 2010

bladernr
Oct 3, 2006
I'm not wearing any pants. Film at 11!

Sindow posted:

Which one of you is this

I giving kinky on you...

quote:

I enjoy receiving straight sex,and giving kinky on you.
Well if you would like to have stragiht sex, that is fine. The other areas are only if you would enjoy them.(SPANKING,ANAL,GOLDEN SHOWERS IN NO ORDER)
Well are you ready to drop your pants or lift your skirt and let me kiss your buns and more? I am....hopefully you will want this daily smile. POLY IS A GREAT THING.
LIKE BBW OR SSBBW!

SSBBW?

Single Side Ba... :psyduck:

Phuzion
Jun 30, 2006

LAN Parties 4 Lyfe!

bladernr posted:

I giving kinky on you...

SSBBW?

Single Side Ba... :psyduck:
[/quote]

Single Side-Big Beautiful Women.

WHAAA???

BigHustle
Oct 19, 2005

Fast and Bulbous

Phuzion posted:

Single Side-Big Beautiful Women.

Nah. Its Single Side Band - Bordered at Waist.

Breast men would be all over the USB (Upper Side, Boobs) while the rear end fans would be all about the LSB (Lower Side, Butt).

Example: I got this SSBBW I'm seeing. Her USB is a little weak, but the LSB more than makes up for it. I could moonbounce that poo poo all night long!

nmfree
Aug 15, 2001

BigHustle posted:

Nah. Its Single Side Band - Bordered at Waist.

Breast men would be all over the USB (Upper Side, Boobs) while the rear end fans would be all about the LSB (Lower Side, Butt).

Example: I got this SSBBW I'm seeing. Her USB is a little weak, but the LSB more than makes up for it. I could moonbounce that poo poo all night long!
You need to put that on Urban Dictionary.

Also, this guy apparently likes to piss on people. Or be pissed on. :gonk:

ReD_DaWn
Apr 7, 2008

You'll be saying WOW! every time you use this towel!
Has anyone looked that call up on google? This guy has many profiles: http://www.stdfriends.com/KB3CNV

Blue Bar Crash
Apr 2, 2009

by Ozma
Back when I was still in elementary school, I was somewhat into amateur radio and electronics in general, but as my track in education took me further towards computer programming, I began to shy away from ham radio and electronics. I've always still held an interest, though, it's just been a matter of finding the time among everything else I've been doing.

Long story short, this is the first time I've actually gotten around to checking this thread out, and I still managed to get 77% accuracy on the Tech test on QRZ. I'm thinking about spending a weekend or two brushing up on the terms I'm still unfamiliar with, then getting my Tech license just for fun.

With that in mind, are there any "gotchas" that I should know about when taking the test, or is it just a standard written test?

Thanks for the cool thread, by the way. I'll be reading it more often.

BigHustle
Oct 19, 2005

Fast and Bulbous

Blue Bar Crash posted:

With that in mind, are there any "gotchas" that I should know about when taking the test, or is it just a standard written test?

The only thing I can suggest is to make sure you know the material itself and not memorize the correct letter assigned to the answers in the question pool. The pool may have the answer to T1A01 marked as A, but the actual test may have the correct answer on lines B, C, or D. According to the greybeard that runs testing for one of the clubs here, they have a handful of people each year who memorize the question and letter associated with the test pool instead of learning their poo poo and end up bombing the test because the answers aren't the same.

I went and took the Tech and General at the same time. It's worth the extra study time to have the expanded privileges, especially if you want to do more than chat with the local repeater retards. Most of the bands between 6m and 80m are either not available for Tech use or they're limited to where they can run frequency-wise.

bladernr
Oct 3, 2006
Blue Bar Crash - The tech exam is pretty easy, really. Download one of the various practice exam programs and practice a few times and you'll be fine.

It's been a few years since I took it, but it's not terribly long and most of the exam focuses on FCC rules and safety with a small bit that actually covers radios and antennae.

Also, while you're there, go ahead and take at least the General exam. It won't cost you anything extra, and you might just luck out...

When I took the tech exam, I missed General by 2 questions, having never even seen any of the materials for General.

When I took General, I missed Extra by about 5 after only quickly studying. Either way, I'd say get General as fast as you can. That's, IMHO, where the real fun is (not to dis any UHF/VHF ops).

ReD_DaWn posted:

Has anyone looked that call up on google? This guy has many profiles: http://www.stdfriends.com/KB3CNV

STD(s) : Other :monocle:

BigHustle
Oct 19, 2005

Fast and Bulbous

ReD_DaWn posted:

bladernr posted:

STD(s) : Other :monocle:

He thinks an STD is a SWR Tuned Dipole.

I think we need to invite him to join Hamsexy and see what happens.

nmfree
Aug 15, 2001

So on Friday I think I'm taking the opportunity to stop at the AES in Milwaukee. Must. Resist. Urge. To. Buy. Something. Expensive!

Dijkstra
May 21, 2002

nmfree posted:

So on Friday I think I'm taking the opportunity to stop at the AES in Milwaukee. Must. Resist. Urge. To. Buy. Something. Expensive!

Please post a trip report.

I am lucky (or unlucky) that there is a Ham Radio outlet about 9 miles from my house.

No no serious
Mar 24, 2010

It's working
Just passed my general and tech exam a few weeks ago. My father's a Ham, so a lot of the stuff I knew from growing up around it. Still, I don't know what the hell I'm doing.

OP, can you add me to the list? KB1TTV.

edit: I wasn't directly inspired by the thread, but thanks to the links in the first post, the test was easy. Thanks!

No no serious fucked around with this message at 15:32 on Mar 24, 2010

nmfree
Aug 15, 2001

No no serious posted:

Just passed my general and tech exam a few weeks ago. My father's a Ham, so a lot of the stuff I knew from growing up around it. Still, I don't know what the hell I'm doing.
Congratulations!

"Hey dad, I was thinking, you could really use one of those Yaesu 9000MPs, it would really look good in the shack..."

xergm
Sep 8, 2009

The Moon is for Sissies!
This guy entertains me; he's a total nutjob.

I hope someone tracks him down eventually.

No no serious
Mar 24, 2010

It's working

nmfree posted:

Congratulations!

"Hey dad, I was thinking, you could really use one of those Yaesu 9000MPs, it would really look good in the shack..."

Ha! I was half expecting him to give me a whole Ham setup. He's a generous person, but I think he's having money problems (who isn't).

I did pick up a VX-8R, which I'm loving. I'm so glad I thought ahead and found one with dual receivers, so I can mess with APRS while listening to the cranky guys on 2m talk about running to the store to get milk, and how their wives suck. A rig that can do 40m will be my next acquisition.

Hey speaking of APRS... I searched for this everywhere. Is it possible (and often used) to do reliable long-distance communication via APRS? i.e.: if I see someone in Fiji on aprs.fi, is it possible to send them a message from around the world only via APRS? Or is it only really for local data (albeit gatewayed to the 'net). On that same note, are there any BBSs or similar things I can contact interactively with APRS?

Th_
Nov 29, 2008

No no serious posted:

Hey speaking of APRS... I searched for this everywhere. Is it possible (and often used) to do reliable long-distance communication via APRS? i.e.: if I see someone in Fiji on aprs.fi, is it possible to send them a message from around the world only via APRS? Or is it only really for local data (albeit gatewayed to the 'net). On that same note, are there any BBSs or similar things I can contact interactively with APRS?

You could try doing some aprs satellite stuff. The aprs.org website hypes it up more than a bit.

On a totally unrelated note, I finally have a rig! I'm powering an ft-817nd off an old computer power supply.

BigHustle
Oct 19, 2005

Fast and Bulbous

AtomicMonsters posted:

On a totally unrelated note, I finally have a rig! I'm powering an ft-817nd off an old computer power supply.

Sweet!

Here's a pic of my 'shack' as it stands today.

Yaesu FT-60R for 2m/70cm chatting
Grundig G6 for shortwave/general receiving
ASUS 900a EeePC running EEEbuntu 3.0 Netbook Remix for EchoLink and digital mode reception using fldigi

I've also got a RadioShack DX-394 that I'm sending off for some mods and should be sending a money order for the Kenwood TS-520s I've been looking at sometime tomorrow.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

BigHustle fucked around with this message at 21:54 on Mar 24, 2010

HFX
Nov 29, 2004

Dijkstra posted:

I am lucky (or unlucky) that there is a Ham Radio outlet about 9 miles from my house.

6 miles from me. I haven't been in there in a while. No time / money / location to setup something good.

bladernr
Oct 3, 2006

xergm posted:

This guy entertains me; he's a total nutjob.

I hope someone tracks him down eventually.

"11 meters is where all the pirates hang out" :hurr: FEMA NWO

This guy is the youtube equivalent of most 80 meter nutjobs. I'm following him now... thanks for this!

:tinfoil:

xergm
Sep 8, 2009

The Moon is for Sissies!
Where does he even live? One of the reasons he doesn't want a license is because he has to give up personal info? I can assume he doesn't have any credit cards the neither. Nor does he have social security, loans, or even bank accounts.

I'm still working on getting my license, but even I know that a good ham doesn't look at the bands like they 'own' them. He's also right, a good ham will kick you off their forum if you tell them you're not getting a license; it's illegal. They don't do it because they want want you to fit in their 'box' they do it because you can gently caress up things without the proper knowledge. (/rant)

BigHustle
Oct 19, 2005

Fast and Bulbous

xergm posted:

Where does he even live? One of the reasons he doesn't want a license is because he has to give up personal info? I can assume he doesn't have any credit cards the neither. Nor does he have social security, loans, or even bank accounts.

I'm still working on getting my license, but even I know that a good ham doesn't look at the bands like they 'own' them. He's also right, a good ham will kick you off their forum if you tell them you're not getting a license; it's illegal. They don't do it because they want want you to fit in their 'box' they do it because you can gently caress up things without the proper knowledge. (/rant)

I get the feeling that this guy set his radio up strictly to talk on the CB frequencies and DX the rest. Rather than just ask questions about the radios he was interested in, he chose to go about it with the 'I ain't givin my info to no gubmint agency' route and pissed the hams off.

Pirates don't hang out on 11m, rednecks with CBs and retards who couldn't pass the Tech test do.

HFX
Nov 29, 2004

BigHustle posted:

I get the feeling that this guy set his radio up strictly to talk on the CB frequencies and DX the rest. Rather than just ask questions about the radios he was interested in, he chose to go about it with the 'I ain't givin my info to no gubmint agency' route and pissed the hams off.

Pirates don't hang out on 11m, rednecks with CBs and retards who couldn't pass the Tech test do.

Yeah, most pirates I've heard tend to hang out in the 40-60 meter area. I guess you could count many CB operators at 11 meters as pirates since many of them are running way more power then 5 watts, way out of band limits, etc.

Edit: Yeah that guy is a loon.

HFX fucked around with this message at 12:30 on Mar 25, 2010

Radio Nowhere
Jan 8, 2010

HFX posted:

6 miles from me. I haven't been in there in a while. No time / money / location to setup something good.

I'm around 90 minutes to 2 hours from the Woodbridge, VA HRO depending on beltway traffic. When I was in college I was only 30-45 minutes away and would go every few months, then I learned it was actually cheaper to buy from them over the phone to avoid sales tax. Don't think I've been to the actual store in like 6 years, and I haven't bought any amateur radio toys in 5 years. I have an Icom 706MIIG that needs work on the FM transmit (a simple soldering joint needs retouched), a dual-band Yaesu mobile whose dual receive is aweful unless you have tone-decode enabled otherwise it's pager-noise galore, and a Yaesu VX-5R which works as good as the day I bought it. All my antennas are still either on the roof or strung through the woods of my parents house, at the moment I live in a apartment with my wife. We're moving soon so soon I'll have some land to play around.

Radio Nowhere fucked around with this message at 14:26 on Mar 25, 2010

HFX
Nov 29, 2004

Radio Nowhere posted:

I'm around 90 minutes to 2 hours from the Woodbridge, VA HRO depending on beltway traffic. When I was in college I was only 30-45 minutes away and would go every few months, then I learned it was actually cheaper to buy from them over the phone to avoid sales tax. Don't think I've been to the actual store in like 6 years, and I haven't bought any amateur radio toys in 5 years. I have an Icom 706MIIG that needs work on the FM transmit (a simply soldering joint needs retouched), a dual-band Yaesu mobile whose dual receive is aweful unless you have tone-decode enabled otherwise it's pager-noise galore, and a Yaesu VX-5R which works as good as the day I bought it. All my antennas are still either on the roof or strung through the woods of my parents house, at the moment I live in a apartment with my wife. We're moving soon so soon I'll have some land to play around.

You'll enjoy that. What really kind of makes me unhappy is if I go to park I can hear all these conversations and work in with them. Then I get back to my apartment, and its S8 on all the bands and I'm kind of like meh. I was going to put up an antenna in the trees nearby, but they cut them back heavily. :-(

Radio Nowhere
Jan 8, 2010
Any Mid-Atlantic area ham goons going to the Timonium Hamfest this weekend ?

http://www.gbhc.org/

nmfree
Aug 15, 2001

Dijkstra posted:

So I'm in milwaukee this weekend at the gaming show to help my buddies set up their booth (they brought a full 26 foot truck of arcade machines and other crap to sell. The day before I left, I hooked up my VX-5 to my laptop to load on the "profile" I had set up for being around here. The VX-5 wouldn't load anything from the computer, no matter what I did; long story short, I couldn't get it to work, even after performing a full reset.

So I bought a VX-8 at AES on the way down. :gbsmith:

When I get home tomorrow I'll try to post a proper TFR-style box post.

xergm
Sep 8, 2009

The Moon is for Sissies!
So I've got about a week worth of free time before my test, does anyone have any internet study material I can use?

I have a few study guides, but I'm just wondering if anyone has found anything really outstanding.

I'm mostly looking for General and Extra stuff, I think I have the Technician exam down to a T. I figure if I'm going to test I'm definitely going to get my General, and push myself to get the Extra. From what I hear, as long as you have a good source, the Extra isn't too bad.

Th_
Nov 29, 2008
If you haven't yet, use the qrz question banks; I was able to one-shot from nothing to extra using 'em.

xergm
Sep 8, 2009

The Moon is for Sissies!
I've been using HamTestOnline, which works pretty well, and they simulate question frequencies. These study guides I've found pretty much outline what the answers and and the multiple ways they can be worded. Honestly, I remember of lot of concepts on electrical circuits from my physics class; beyond that, most of this stuff isn't concept base, it's regulations and general amateur conduct.

Jose Pointero
Feb 16, 2004

Jose Pointero fucked around with this message at 03:49 on Aug 28, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

blugu64
Jul 17, 2006

Do you realize that fluoridation is the most monstrously conceived and dangerous communist plot we have ever had to face?
I'm trying to learn out more about dstar, can you really just plug your radio into your computer and hop on a repeater for internet access? (if the repeater supports it of course) Or does that mode only work with their fancy 1.2ghz radio?

Being able to grab a map/weather report/shoot a quick email, would convince me to sell some gear to get it, but if it's the $1k 1.2ghz radio only, well, when toys get into the 4 digits I start getting queazy.

blugu64 fucked around with this message at 09:36 on Mar 31, 2010