Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Keanu Grieves
Dec 30, 2002

Yoozer posted:

:words:
Thanks for the exhaustive reply. I've taken a couple days off from music-making, mainly to catch up on some movies I've rented, but I'm going to get back in the mood this weekend.

Just loving around in Ableton is so much fun.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Maguro
Apr 24, 2006

Why is the sun always bullying me?

Bouchacha posted:

Hey kids, I want to make music.

I would suggest just getting the DAW of your choice (Reason 4, Ableton, etc.), a pair of semi-nice production headphones, and a cheap M-audio MIDI controller with a few knobs on it.

The best things to really have are time and persistence. Tons of dudes empty their bank accounts on poo poo they only use for a few months before giving up. Keep in mind, it's gonna be quite a while before you'll be creating anything someone wants to listen to.

Hi Baku Shyo
Nov 7, 2009
I'm looking into buying a MIDI interface for my laptop, I have a few cheap synths and I want to start being able to work more with hardware, I'm not really sure where to start though... I was thinking about getting a hardware sequencer but I'd like to be able to use my gear with my software, plus I'm thinking it might be a bit cheaper. I know MOTU makes a lot of MIDI interface stuff but I'm not sure exactly what I'll need, or what I might need in the future. Also, I'll either need to get something that can also do audio output or a MIDI -> CV converter at some point. Anyone have any suggestions?

Quincy Smallvoice
Mar 18, 2006

Bitches leave

Maguro posted:

I would suggest just getting the DAW of your choice (Reason 4, Ableton, etc.), a pair of semi-nice production headphones, and a cheap M-audio MIDI controller with a few knobs on it.

The best things to really have are time and persistence. Tons of dudes empty their bank accounts on poo poo they only use for a few months before giving up. Keep in mind, it's gonna be quite a while before you'll be creating anything someone wants to listen to.

we should just quote this post for almost every single question

magnificent7
Sep 22, 2005

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Quincy Smallvoice posted:

we should just quote this post for almost every single question
But it's such an inspiration killer -- the part of "it's gonna be quite a while before you'll be creating anything someone wants to listen to."

It's just another tool to capture the sounds in your head. Now, those sounds in your head - THAT might be where the turds are lurking.

Quincy Smallvoice
Mar 18, 2006

Bitches leave
I must have discussed with, mentored and encouraged over 40 young hopefuls these last 10 years in production, and less than 10% stayed with it for more than 2 years.

They all had the idea that they would be able to get "the sounds in their head" down on tracks pretty much instantly. Its not about inspiration, because that will hit you at whatever skill level - its about motivation. If you have the motivation to keep improving your skills, your ability to get your ideas down quickly, efficiently and cleanly will improve. Every song and every mix better than the previous.

What's worse; to be told you may suck for a while - or give up completely after dumping tons of cash on gear and give up on your dreams thinking you just dont have the talent - due to having unrealistic expectations?

Bouchacha
Feb 7, 2006

Maguro posted:

I understand that there's plenty of people that will blow their cash only to lose interest later. I was only looking to buy equipment second hand however, where I would assume that the resell value would remain high.

What's a good way of getting acclimated to the different DAWs? What's a recommendation for a good pair of production headphones? I was also looking to get my hands dirty learning piano. Is killing two birds with one stone by purchasing an ample MIDI controller a bad idea?

h_double
Jul 27, 2001
It's important to realize though that learning to make music -- if it's something you enjoy -- is really fulfilling and rewarding and energizing in its own right. "The process is the product" and all that.

There's a difference between being motivated to improve (which is positive and helpful), and being focused on specific goals ("learn to pace the buildup of a track", "learn to get a bass + kick to fit together more tightly", etc.), which is also helpful -- there's a difference between that and comparing yourself to other music, or telling yourself "I need to suck less" or some poo poo, that's an attitude that leads to nothing but frustration and disappointment. You have to have a positive attitude and appreciate what you're doing right now if you're going to keep motivated to improve.

Maguro
Apr 24, 2006

Why is the sun always bullying me?

Bouchacha posted:

I understand that there's plenty of people that will blow their cash only to lose interest later. I was only looking to buy equipment second hand however, where I would assume that the resell value would remain high.

To be frank, the level of equipment I would suggest buying is hardly worth reselling or buying used. If you want to learn piano, that is a TON of extra work and will also be next to impossible to do properly on a cheap midi controller. I would suggest pick either piano or production, get the hang of one before attempting the other.

As for starting production on the cheap:

HEADPHONES: The "Sennheiser 280 professionals" sound pretty good for the cost, though there are other options in this price range.

MIDI CONTROLLER: Probably something in the cheaper side of M-audio's line, such as the "M-Audio Oxygen 8 v2". The main problem with this is that it only has 25 keys, and they are completely unweighted. However, it does have 8 fairly nice knobs . Keep in mind that this would not be suitable at all for learning piano.

After you get those you might want to look into getting some studio monitor speakers, but I wouldn't do that until you are certain that you want to be producing for a while.

Quincy Smallvoice
Mar 18, 2006

Bitches leave
Just keep in mind getting stereo balance, low frequency response and reverb amount/placement can often be very tricky when mixing in headphones.

Laserjet 4P
Mar 28, 2005

What does it mean?
Fun Shoe

Hi Baku Shyo posted:

I was thinking about getting a hardware sequencer but I'd like to be able to use my gear with my software, plus I'm thinking it might be a bit cheaper.
Yes. Not all hardware sequencers are fun.

quote:

I know MOTU makes a lot of MIDI interface stuff but I'm not sure exactly what I'll need
MOTU's virtually the only one left that's still making big 8x8 MIDI interfaces. If you can do with less than that, they've also got a Micro Lite that offers 5 ins, 5 outs.

quote:

Also, I'll either need to get something that can also do audio output or a MIDI -> CV converter at some point. Anyone have any suggestions?

MIDI/CV comes in a separate box. Kenton makes useful stuff for that. Audio output - well, how many outs do you need? You can sum it all in the mixer and let a computer record a stereo track but it's just really convenient to just record 8 tracks in parallel.

dj bobby bieber
Oct 9, 2003

the fanciest whale
FS: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3284209

mezzir
Jul 1, 2007

I'ma rub your ass in the moonshine.
Let's take it back to seventy-nine...
Okay so there are things that I could use to wokr on and things I am decent at but still could improve on, and then there's naming tracks. I swear the reason I do 90% remixes is because I ABSOLUTELY CANNOT NAME MY SONGS.

For instance:

Anyone wanna take a crack at this one? Seriously, its in need of a name. Also I would be appreciative if anyone had advice as to how to name instrumental tracks.

Merkin Muffley
Aug 1, 2006
The Ballsiest

mezzir posted:

Okay so there are things that I could use to wokr on and things I am decent at but still could improve on, and then there's naming tracks. I swear the reason I do 90% remixes is because I ABSOLUTELY CANNOT NAME MY SONGS.

For instance:

Anyone wanna take a crack at this one? Seriously, its in need of a name. Also I would be appreciative if anyone had advice as to how to name instrumental tracks.

power outage

im not really one for naming my songs either though, about half of my tracks are lovely puns on the titles of much more famous tracks, the other half are hilariously immature strings of the first swear words that pop in my head after i hit "save as"

however, i am pretty good at coming up with a really cool name for a song before i even start working on it. i try to write something that fits the super cool name, but i usually get frustrated when i cant and just save it as "monkey nuts" or something...

Quincy Smallvoice
Mar 18, 2006

Bitches leave

mezzir posted:

For instance:

call it "completion when?"

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

keyboard ⌨️​ :clint: cowboy

Merkin Muffley posted:

im not really one for naming my songs either though, about half of my tracks are lovely puns on the titles of much more famous tracks, the other half are hilariously immature strings of the first swear words that pop in my head after i hit "save as"
I pretty much just keep my songs numbered in the order I save them and have a short descriptor. Like the one I'm working on now is "116 dooooown" because it's really downtempo v:shobon:v

h_double
Jul 27, 2001
Grab a book from your bookshelf, open to a random page, point someplace, there's a possible song title. This is helpful for writing lyrics too.

Also carry around a notebook (or use a notepad app on your phone) to jot down phrases, misheard bits of conversation, etc. which catch your ear, and use that as a source of possible song titles.

Meatsplosion
Oct 25, 2006

+3 Meat Elemental
Just thought I'd pass this link along, it's D. Ramirez and Steve Duda playing around with Nerve. Looks like an amazing plugin!

http://www.dramirez.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=322

Bouchacha
Feb 7, 2006

I found an M-Audio Keystation 88 Pro for sale around my area for $275 and was wondering what I should test out when I see it to make sure I'm not buying a piece of poo poo.

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

keyboard ⌨️​ :clint: cowboy

Make sure nothing's missing (one of my fader knobs disappeared when mine was in storage), and if you're testing it out make sure you test to see that all of the keys/faders/knobs/buttons are actually sending information. It's a great keyboard, hope it works out for you.

xpander
Sep 2, 2004

mezzir posted:

For instance:

This track reminds me of Paul Keeley's style(this is a good thing, he's one of my favourite producers). I would name this song "Catwalk", possibly with a clever adjective in front of that.

Dicky B
Mar 23, 2004

prom candy posted:

I know it's been two months but poo poo, this is cool.
I know it's been almost another two months, but thanks!!

I worked on the track a little more after posting it here. Here's the finished (for now) product: http://www.pleasesendhelp.com/music/Colugo/Unreleased/Colugo%20-%20Sorry%20to%20hear%20about%20your%20baby.mp3

Something new:

I made this in less than two hours while sitting in my underwear eating cereal. Weekends are a drat blessing these days.

Computer Jones
Jun 22, 2005

Dicky B posted:

Something new:

I made this in less than two hours while sitting in my underwear eating cereal. Weekends are a drat blessing these days.

Pretty dope as always :)

Vanmani
Jul 2, 2007
Who needs title text, anyway?

mezzir posted:

For instance:

On listening I have decided that the video should be a guy driving a convertible through a glass walled underwater tunnel on a foreign planet where the local ocean-dwelling fauna emit lots of brightly coloured light in spectacular patterns. As such, Underwater Light Show is your new song title.

That's how I name instrumental tracks anyway.

Vanmani fucked around with this message at 04:48 on Mar 29, 2010

E1M5
Feb 6, 2007
I'm having a hard time getting my synths to sound "soft". Most of the saws I use/make end up sounding really harsh, and I want something smoother. How could I go about accomplishing this? I'm using FL Studio (the Sytrus VST mostly). Also, I notice in other DAW's, such as Logic, most of the VST's which come prepackaged all sound less crude than FL Studios... any reason for this, or am I just hearing things?

h_double
Jul 27, 2001
Today's installment of "how NOT to design a plugin UI"

oh god my eyes

9b817f5
Nov 1, 2007

weeps quietly in binary
So this is my first attempt to make dubstep. It's not mixed very well yet (mixed on headphones), but I'm more curious about what you guys think of the wobbles, i.e. are the noises cool.

http://soundcloud.com/zeitpunkt/dbst2

Ralconn
Aug 2, 2006

Anacostia posted:

So this is my first attempt to make dubstep. It's not mixed very well yet (mixed on headphones), but I'm more curious about what you guys think of the wobbles, i.e. are the noises cool.

http://soundcloud.com/zeitpunkt/dbst2

While I can't stand the Portal samples (:regd08:) the actual music itself is pretty good. Keep at it.

Dicky B
Mar 23, 2004

E1M5 posted:

I'm having a hard time getting my synths to sound "soft". Most of the saws I use/make end up sounding really harsh, and I want something smoother. How could I go about accomplishing this? I'm using FL Studio (the Sytrus VST mostly). Also, I notice in other DAW's, such as Logic, most of the VST's which come prepackaged all sound less crude than FL Studios... any reason for this, or am I just hearing things?
Yeah, FL Studio's synths aren't very good. Sorry if that comes off as sounding quite fanboyish. I think FL Studio is a pretty great piece of software but I've never got on at all with the built in synths. Even generating a simple sine wave tone on its own with the 3osc synth seems to result in an audible distortion.

Computer Jones posted:

Pretty dope as always :)
Hey thanks :)

E1M5
Feb 6, 2007

Dicky B posted:

Yeah, FL Studio's synths aren't very good. Sorry if that comes off as sounding quite fanboyish. I think FL Studio is a pretty great piece of software but I've never got on at all with the built in synths. Even generating a simple sine wave tone on its own with the 3osc synth seems to result in an audible distortion.

No worries. I've actually considered buying a Mac and switching over to Logic, but I'm already 3 years deep with FL Studio haha.

Edit: I'm considering purchasing Massive, since it seems like a great replacement. Worthy investment? Or am I better off eventually diving into Logic?

E1M5 fucked around with this message at 19:24 on Mar 29, 2010

h_double
Jul 27, 2001
Massive is a great synth, and of course there are many many other VST synths you can use within FL.

ManoliIsFat
Oct 4, 2002

Dicky B posted:

Hey thanks :)
I don't know man, I don't know what your or his problem with Sytrus is. It just makes the noises you tell it to make! I don't know what the hell you're doing to max a 3osc pumping sine waves sound distorted.

Like I get people problem with FL's bundled synths and why the prefer other things, but I don't think it's fair to write of Sytrus as garbage or a lesser synth.

Dicky B
Mar 23, 2004

Yeah I can't even recreate the sine wave thing to demonstrate now so I guess I'm talking out of my rear end. I certainly remember getting frustrated because there was slightly audible white noise as if it was sampling at a lower bit rate than the rest of the DAW. Perhaps they fixed that in version 8, I dunno. This is the first time I've tried it since I upgraded.

Sytrus is fine. It's FL Studio's best synth. The others are all pretty bad (but what do I know)

E1M5
Feb 6, 2007

ManoliIsFat posted:

I don't know man, I don't know what your or his problem with Sytrus is. It just makes the noises you tell it to make! I don't know what the hell you're doing to max a 3osc pumping sine waves sound distorted.

Like I get people problem with FL's bundled synths and why the prefer other things, but I don't think it's fair to write of Sytrus as garbage or a lesser synth.

Oh don't get me wrong, I love sytrus and I use it for 80% of my productions. I'm not hating on it, I'm just having a hard time creating softer sounds with it, whereas I can pickup Massive, and within 20 seconds have a really smooth sounding Saw.

FL Studio does have other VSTs, but I think Sytrus is the only powerhouse worth mentioning.

Then again, I'm still learning, I've only been using FL Studio for a year now. I guess my biggest debate at this point is if I want to drop even more money on a VST (Massive, Absynth, etc), or keep pushing along with what I have (despite my difficulties).

Oiled and Ready
Oct 11, 2004

He wished it could be as respectable and orthodox as spying. But somehow in his hands the traditional tools and attitudes were always employed toward mean ends: cloak for a laundry sack, dagger to peel potatoes, dossiers to fill up dead Sunday afternoons ...
http://www.tindeck.com/listen/oibf

CHACHING!

SwissDonkey
Mar 29, 2007

SwissDonkey posted:

Some of you may remember my TERRIBLE attempt at dubstep when I had no loving idea what dubstep really was. Well, thank yourself that this isn't dubstep. I've started learning the intricacies of the synth I'm using (NI Pro-53) which is goddamn awesome and so yeah, I came up with this ...disco-ish thing. Any and all criticisms are welcome, I won't really know how to get better if people don't tell me where I'm loving up :)

Edit: Oh yeah, it's not finished, it kinda just cuts off in the middle of it all. I always get halfway through a song and then get a massive case of writers block.

For whoever was saying that the whole learning to make electronic music is daunting, listen to the song in my quote. Now listen to this, after about 6 hours of loving around with other songs and learning how to not make stuff sound so terrible:

(Also don't pay attention to that bit when the drums cut out near the end, I was mid gently caress-around trying different things when I decided to reply.)

Sound better? Learning is faster than you think. It won't take you long before you can make competent stuff, but like anything else in the world, it'll take quite a while to master. Don't be dismayed!

Now some stupid lovely retarded mario music that's fun to make:

And some music with that can't decide what it wants to be: (Just playing around, basically just a couple of different grooves that I'll end up making full songs out of. There's also a few seconds of silence at the start.)

So, am I getting better?

SwissDonkey fucked around with this message at 15:11 on Mar 30, 2010

dookie
Aug 28, 2003

A song sampling Telepopmusik's "Breathe". Suggestions/critique very welcome

dookie fucked around with this message at 00:09 on Mar 31, 2010

mezzir
Jul 1, 2007

I'ma rub your ass in the moonshine.
Let's take it back to seventy-nine...
After three 80%-done remixes of Chromeo - Night By Night that for whatever reason just didn't work out, I think I've finally hit on something.

SpaghettiShaq
Aug 24, 2004
I'll throw this up here, as I'm curious what you guys think:

http://soundcloud.com/spaghettishaq/raw

I'm really new to this music making thing, and this is my first "succesfull" song. I tried to go for the guitar/electro thing, so I played some simple riffs and put it to my beat. I think it turned out pretty good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SwissDonkey
Mar 29, 2007

KrommeLul posted:

I'll throw this up here, as I'm curious what you guys think:

http://soundcloud.com/spaghettishaq/raw

I'm really new to this music making thing, and this is my first "succesfull" song. I tried to go for the guitar/electro thing, so I played some simple riffs and put it to my beat. I think it turned out pretty good.

That's a pretty sweet groove, and whatever instrument you used for the bass sounds pretty good. What you need to learn though is to implement band pass filters and some sidechaining. They make a huge difference make sounds stand out rather than be all muddled together. When I learned it (not that long ago) the quality of my music just shot up. Your song has potential, but it needs some pretty serious mixing. Stick with it, because it looks like you're pretty good at composing.

• Locked thread