Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

orange lime
Jul 24, 2008

by Fistgrrl

No. 9 posted:

No mention of Jim Marshall's passing in this thread?

Check out his stuff (99.9% you've already some of it), truly iconic.

http://www.marshallphoto.com/collection

Jim Marshall is the only person who treated his Leica the way it should be treated.

I read an account from someone who'd handled it that the imprint of the film sprocket holes is worn into the pressure plate. How many rolls of film do you have to put through for that to happen? :psyduck:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I, Butthole
Jun 30, 2007

Begin the operations of the gas chambers, gas schools, gas universities, gas libraries, gas museums, gas dance halls, and gas threads, etcetera.
I DEMAND IT
Read about it, didn't realise that he was "that" guy when it came to band photos. RIP.

Just got my Bluesfest 2010 shooter accreditation. Five days, five stages; I have no idea how I'm gonna go.

Alfajor
Jun 10, 2005

The delicious snack cake.
Help me guyz!
I'm shooting at a small DJ show/gig called "Hustle!" in a small club tomorrow. I've been in there plenty, so I know what I've got to work with: low ceilings, and very little light.
I have a Canon 40D and a 580EXII flash, so I'll probably be bouncing the flash straight up, but I've been assigned to get a couple of good shots of the DJs in action, and I'd like to do something that doesn't look plain and boring (something like this would be pretty sweet: http://www.flickr.com/photos/sidsiva/489602913/), but I haven't used the rear curtain sync flash to feel totally comfortable using it. I'm guessing though that that'll be the trick to getting more movement in the pictures... right? :ohdear:

AtomicManiac
Dec 29, 2006

I've never been a one trick pony. I like to have a competency in everything. I've been to business school.

Alfajor posted:

Help me guyz!
I'm shooting at a small DJ show/gig called "Hustle!" in a small club tomorrow. I've been in there plenty, so I know what I've got to work with: low ceilings, and very little light.
I have a Canon 40D and a 580EXII flash, so I'll probably be bouncing the flash straight up, but I've been assigned to get a couple of good shots of the DJs in action, and I'd like to do something that doesn't look plain and boring (something like this would be pretty sweet: http://www.flickr.com/photos/sidsiva/489602913/), but I haven't used the rear curtain sync flash to feel totally comfortable using it. I'm guessing though that that'll be the trick to getting more movement in the pictures... right? :ohdear:

That shot looks posed to me. At any rate, try to do 1/2-2 second exposure and wave the camera like an idiot for light trails.

AIIAZNSK8ER
Dec 8, 2008

Where is your 24-70?

Alfajor posted:

Help me guyz!

You don't have to use rear curtain sync for the light trails. Set your flash to a high enough power to just illuminate your subject and then open your shutter long enough to get the trails while you move the camera around. The green light rays in the picture you posted are not light trails, its just part of the club lighting. Try putting your subject just between you and the light source, and it will give them a halo. Expose for the light and use your flash as fill on your subject.

jackpot
Aug 31, 2004

First cousin to the Black Rabbit himself. Such was Woundwort's monument...and perhaps it would not have displeased him.<

Jim Marshall posted:

"Keith Richards during Exile on Main Street sessions, 1972. I think this is one of my best photos — the quintessential Keith photo."

This guy obviously never saw PCU, because he's being "that guy." :rolleyes:

Eeek
Mar 1, 2003

I would totally understand if you didn't know who these people are.

Tornado Rider is bad rear end. That is all.

Peter Rowan still kicks it.

Most people can't wear clothes like that- Jim Lauderdale can.

Tara from Donna the Buffalo is awesome.

AtomicManiac
Dec 29, 2006

I've never been a one trick pony. I like to have a competency in everything. I've been to business school.
Shot the JV Allstars last night after my band played, the best picture of course was someone who isn't even in the band.

*She sang the ending of a song on the recording at least (and she's in another band with JVA's lead singer/guitar).

On an unrelated note, I'm assuming someone here has shot warped tour before? What's the procedure there, just show up with a camera or do you still need a photo-pass? Do you need permission for everyone you intend to shoot or is it a "show up and shoot" as long as you get a pass? Any help would be amazing.

dunos
Feb 6, 2007

I refuse to be part of your furry fantasies
My first go at band photography resulted in this:

I have decided that bassists are the easiest to practice on as they don't move around as much!

HPL
Aug 28, 2002

Worst case scenario.

orange lime posted:

Jim Marshall is the only person who treated his Leica the way it should be treated.

My 40D is on its way to looking like that.

rockcity
Jan 16, 2004

dunos posted:

I have decided that bassists are the easiest to practice on as they don't move around as much!

Depends on the band, there are a ton of bands out there where the bassists go bat poo poo crazy because their parts aren't as hard.

On a side note, I'm working on setting up a promo shoot with a small local death metal band composed of a bunch of young kids. Normally I'd never do that, but the singer is Kevin Nash's son, haha.

Haggins
Jul 1, 2004

rockcity posted:

On a side note, I'm working on setting up a promo shoot with a small local death metal band composed of a bunch of young kids. Normally I'd never do that, but the singer is Kevin Nash's son, haha.

What band?

rockcity
Jan 16, 2004

Haggins posted:

What band?

They're called Devouring Grace. They're literally just starting. Tristen, the kid I know joined like a week ago. The little snippet of music that I've heard isn't half bad.

thehustler
Apr 17, 2004

I am very curious about this little crescendo

dunos posted:

That's pretty nice! I would have cropped more of the empty room at the top of the photo, though.

Daniel K
Dec 5, 2007
King of Morons
Some stuff I've done recently. All 35mm.

flikr here: http://www.flickr.com/photos/48850398@N05/

Live

Promo

rockcity
Jan 16, 2004

Daniel K posted:

The guy in the back right looks like he really doesn't belong in the band. I'm sure that's probably how he normally dresses, but for the sake of the photo he needs to look like he's in the band a bit more. He stands out in this photo and not in a good way.

fronkpies
Apr 30, 2008

You slithered out of your mother's filth.

rockcity posted:

The guy in the back right looks like he really doesn't belong in the band. I'm sure that's probably how he normally dresses, but for the sake of the photo he needs to look like he's in the band a bit more. He stands out in this photo and not in a good way.

Probably the bassist, they've got to get noticed some how.

Eeek
Mar 1, 2003

rockcity posted:

You are totaly correct. He looks like a surfer that photo bombed the set.

Daniel K
Dec 5, 2007
King of Morons
Yeah all the rest of the guys in the band and I tried to talk some sense into him, but that's what he showed up in for the shoot.

He's the drummer, haha.

Zeliums
Oct 29, 2007
So I just skimmed throw a whole bunch of pages to pick up things here and there, and I still have some questions that have probably been asked 10000x times. I'm planning on shooting a uni sponsored concert and it will be my first time doing so.

My current gear
-Nikon d3000
-50mm 1.8 lens
-Kit Lens

The stage is pretty poorly lit and very high ceilings. I have the option of using flash, but at the same time I have the possibility of being pretty close to them. Would getting a 35mm 1.8 lens or a Nikon sb600 flash help the situation? There's also an after party, so would having a softbox diffuser for the flash be ideal?

Haggins
Jul 1, 2004

Zeliums posted:

So I just skimmed throw a whole bunch of pages to pick up things here and there, and I still have some questions that have probably been asked 10000x times. I'm planning on shooting a uni sponsored concert and it will be my first time doing so.

My current gear
-Nikon d3000
-50mm 1.8 lens
-Kit Lens

The stage is pretty poorly lit and very high ceilings. I have the option of using flash, but at the same time I have the possibility of being pretty close to them. Would getting a 35mm 1.8 lens or a Nikon sb600 flash help the situation? There's also an after party, so would having a softbox diffuser for the flash be ideal?

Getting a fast prime like the 35 1.8 is definitely a good idea and will come in handy for every show you shoot. As for the flash, it may not always be appropriate to use it at every show as it can really bother the musicians. The rule of thumb is the heavier the music, the less flash distracts the musicians. Either way, I try not to use it during a performance and if I do, only for a couple shots.

As for the after party, the flash will be very useful. No one parties in well lit areas and no one is going to be bothered that you're using it. The i-ttl on it will also help for all the running and gunning you're going to be doing. As for the softbox, are you thinking of something small that goes on the top of your speedlight? I think you'd be better off trying to bounce your flash off a wall or ceiling. The way to get soft light is to increase the size of your light source. If you put something small on the flash, you're really not going to do much unless you're really close to your subject. If you say, bounce your flash off a white ceiling, you just made your light source as big as that ceiling which softens it up a lot. Getting something like this would be a good idea for filling in the shadows created from the direct overhead light source.

Zeliums
Oct 29, 2007
Ah I see. I actually was looking at the 80-20. I was also looking at the LumiQuest softbox to see if it would serve me of any use in this situation. If I had to choose between the two at the moment, I would assume the 35mm 1.8 would be of more use to me? I'm on a budget until I can land some extra cash. If I could only use the built-in flash what are my options in terms of filters or should I just not even bother with it?

Haggins
Jul 1, 2004

Zeliums posted:

Ah I see. I actually was looking at the 80-20. I was also looking at the LumiQuest softbox to see if it would serve me of any use in this situation. If I had to choose between the two at the moment, I would assume the 35mm 1.8 would be of more use to me? I'm on a budget until I can land some extra cash. If I could only use the built-in flash what are my options in terms of filters or should I just not even bother with it?

Yeah I'd get the 35 for sure if you plan on doing more concerts. Another, better option is the sigma 30 1.4 for about $430. That's about the best thing you can get with out spending a crazy amount of money. Might be a good idea to save the cash for it. If you wanna go cheap on the flash, a 285HV is only $90. It's a good flash but it's completely manual. As opposed to the lens, this flash would still be useful even if you bought something better down the road (can't have too many flashes).

Zeliums
Oct 29, 2007
Thanks a lot. I love this thread :). I kind of wanted a flash and lens which is why I opted for the combination of the two instead of one expensive lens. Hopefully I will be able to capture some good shots.

rockcity
Jan 16, 2004

Zeliums posted:

The 80-20 and the softbox are both excellent, I have both and use them regularly.

MrBlandAverage
Jul 2, 2003

GNNAAAARRRR
Seabear!

With Via Tania:

toppro
Jun 19, 2006

AtomicManiac posted:

On an unrelated note, I'm assuming someone here has shot warped tour before? What's the procedure there, just show up with a camera or do you still need a photo-pass? Do you need permission for everyone you intend to shoot or is it a "show up and shoot" as long as you get a pass? Any help would be amazing.

Quoting this just to see if anybody knows.

Pantsmaster Bill
May 7, 2007

I don't see this mentioned this much in this thread, but I guess it's kinda relevant. Does anybody do much roaming club photography?
I shot Sub Focus (a DnB DJ) last night at a party, along with the other acts and getting some crowd shots for promo. The promoter also asked me to get individuals dancing/partying, which I've never done before, and it was...interesting. Loads of people just wanted their picture taken, I got hassled loads by drunk people grabbing my camera, and you obviously get loads of attention from (unfortunately skanky) girls.

Overall was a fun night though, I'm dumping my cards right now. Hope they came out decent.

2ndclasscitizen
Jan 2, 2009

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Pantsmaster Bill posted:

I don't see this mentioned this much in this thread, but I guess it's kinda relevant. Does anybody do much roaming club photography?
I shot Sub Focus (a DnB DJ) last night at a party, along with the other acts and getting some crowd shots for promo. The promoter also asked me to get individuals dancing/partying, which I've never done before, and it was...interesting. Loads of people just wanted their picture taken, I got hassled loads by drunk people grabbing my camera, and you obviously get loads of attention from (unfortunately skanky) girls.

Overall was a fun night though, I'm dumping my cards right now. Hope they came out decent.

I've done it on the odd occasion, it's not too shabby. Sure as hell beats trying to get socials at rock gigs.

rockcity
Jan 16, 2004

toppro posted:

Yes, you need a photo pass, but it's probably the easiest photo pass to get, ever. Seriously they approve practically everyone with some form of website for that show. The PR company is always MSO PR, look them up and email when it gets a little closer, I'd say May.

2ndclasscitizen
Jan 2, 2009

by Y Kant Ozma Post

toppro posted:

Festivals are generally a pass for the whole thing. But be aware that individual bands may have their own restrictions, i.e. most of the day it'll just be the usual 3 songs, no flash, but a particular band might be only the first one or two songs, or not the first, etc etc. Probably won't be an issue (really doubt it would be at Warped), but it pays to be prepared.

toppro
Jun 19, 2006

rockcity posted:

Yes, you need a photo pass, but it's probably the easiest photo pass to get, ever. Seriously they approve practically everyone with some form of website for that show. The PR company is always MSO PR, look them up and email when it gets a little closer, I'd say May.

Thank you very much.

milquetoast child
Jun 27, 2003

literally
http://photos.tfatf.com/#/album/db5b7z/

Felix Cartal at the Lizard Lounge.

Dreggory and I took the pictures, tag team style, he did all the post.

All the noisy as poo poo ones are shot on my 30 f/1.4 at like...ISO 6400 on my 7D.

Click here for the full 1024x514 image.

Click here for the full 720x1024 image.

Click here for the full 1024x683 image.

Click here for the full 1024x683 image.

milquetoast child fucked around with this message at 00:23 on Apr 5, 2010

Already Bored
Mar 5, 2004
I HAVE HIGHER ETHICAL AND MORALE VALUES. DID I MENTION I LIKE COCK

rockcity posted:

That's great becuse MSO runs Coachella accreditation and are ridiculously tight.

I got rejected despite shooting for a national broadcaster with it's own youth brand with a radio station and website with nearly 1,000,000 uniques a month. Seriously.

And that youth brand has a print mag as well. Argh.

rockcity
Jan 16, 2004

Already Bored posted:

That's great becuse MSO runs Coachella accreditation and are ridiculously tight.

I got rejected despite shooting for a national broadcaster with it's own youth brand with a radio station and website with nearly 1,000,000 uniques a month. Seriously.

You have to realize that Coachella is one event that people travel cross-country to go to, especially media, Warped Tour is like 60 dates all over the country. Usually for huge one site events, they want print only. That will happen from time to time with some bands too. Tool is pretty much always print only and usually it has to be a daily paper or huge music mag.

For any national tour MSO is usually super easy to deal with. I've never once been rejected by them for a show and I've worked with them for probably 6 years now.

2ndclasscitizen
Jan 2, 2009

by Y Kant Ozma Post
Google Triplej, and you'll understand why it's a bit unusual to knock them back.

MMD3
May 16, 2006

Montmartre -> Portland

Already Bored posted:

you do realize that every music publication across the globe sends photographers to Coachella? Have you seen what the pits look like there? Having been in them a few different years I can tell you that you're standing shoulder to shoulder with photographer's from Rolling Stone, Spin, Q, not to mention all of the local LA mags that have relationships with Goldenvoice. One does not simply waltz into Coachella...

I don't even want to bother shooting Coachella any more. It's exciting to do it once and it's a good feeling to have the access but running from stage to stage across acres of fields carrying 10 pounds of camera equipment in 105 degree heat to meet a 5-10 minute window of time to shoot each band gets old really fast, especially y if you have friends at the festival that you actually want to hang out with or when you have to miss your favorite bands encores in order to be 500 yards away to shoot someone else.

This year I'm shooting events at the Ace Hotel during Coachella weekend. I'm bummed I'm missing the festival but this will actually put money in my pocket and be WAY more chill.

Here's what the pit looked like for Hot Chip a few years back, this was mid-day on a side stage. This is why MSO is ultra picky for a festival like Coachella. They really don't NEED your publicity so you better have a compelling reason.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

I, Butthole
Jun 30, 2007

Begin the operations of the gas chambers, gas schools, gas universities, gas libraries, gas museums, gas dance halls, and gas threads, etcetera.
I DEMAND IT
I just got back from shooting my first proper festival (Byron Bay Bluesfest, 5 days and the weather alternates from 35 degrees celsius to 32 degrees celsius with rain) and it was pretty much like that the entire time. Shoulder to shoulder, 3 people deep, especially during the headliners. Thankfully though alot of people were quite helpful and didn't mind moving or ducking under your line of sight, except during Crowded House. That was horrible; roughly 30 photographers packed in to a pit that was much the same space as that pic below, and the stage was 7 feet high.

Already Bored
Mar 5, 2004
I HAVE HIGHER ETHICAL AND MORALE VALUES. DID I MENTION I LIKE COCK

MMD3 posted:

you do realize that every music publication across the globe sends photographers to Coachella? Have you seen what the pits look like there? Having been in them a few different years I can tell you that you're standing shoulder to shoulder with photographer's from Rolling Stone, Spin, Q, not to mention all of the local LA mags that have relationships with Goldenvoice. One does not simply waltz into Coachella...

I don't even want to bother shooting Coachella any more. It's exciting to do it once and it's a good feeling to have the access but running from stage to stage across acres of fields carrying 10 pounds of camera equipment in 105 degree heat to meet a 5-10 minute window of time to shoot each band gets old really fast, especially y if you have friends at the festival that you actually want to hang out with or when you have to miss your favorite bands encores in order to be 500 yards away to shoot someone else.

This year I'm shooting events at the Ace Hotel during Coachella weekend. I'm bummed I'm missing the festival but this will actually put money in my pocket and be WAY more chill.

Here's what the pit looked like for Hot Chip a few years back, this was mid-day on a side stage. This is why MSO is ultra picky for a festival like Coachella. They really don't NEED your publicity so you better have a compelling reason.

I'm well aware of how many photographers are at Coachella.

I shot Coachella backstage last year for a publication. I haven't ever shot any front of house stuff there, though.

I'm not shooting it this year. We're sending another of our photographers. Either way I can probably get a media pass, it'll just take a little more effort.

Oh and the photographers from Rolling Stone, Spin et al aren't anything to write home about.

Already Bored fucked around with this message at 13:40 on Apr 5, 2010

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MMD3
May 16, 2006

Montmartre -> Portland

Already Bored posted:

Oh and the photographers from Rolling Stone, Spin et al aren't anything to write home about.

my point with that was simply that they've already got all of the coverage they could possibly need and then some.